CPD Porthmadog FC
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Caerfyrddin / Carmarthen (a) | Caersws (h) | Bangor (h) | Caersws (h) | Bangor [LC] (a) |
Welsh Premier League Cup      -Tuesday, September 2nd

Bangor City ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Les Davies 2', 26'	
Jamie Brewerton 12'

Port were a goal down after only two minutes and by the 26th minute the game
was over, for by that time the home side were three up. The defensive
generosity of the visitors, which has been all too apparent in three
previous games, was again a major factor in this their fifth defeat in all
competitions this season. Some encouragement can be taken from the fact that
a reorganised defence, with Richard Hughes joining Rhys Roberts and Ryan
Davies at the back and supported by a far more spirited effort to close
Bangor down in midfield, meant that no further goals were conceded in the
remaining 64 minutes. The more cynical might suggest that Bangor had taken
their foot off the accelerator after their flying start.

The tone for the opening half was set when Ryan Davies, not under pressure
in any way completely missed the ball which rolled gently past him allowing
brother Les to race by and score with a thumping shot from 20 yards. This
was hardly the best introduction for Dave Vickers, making his first start in
goal. Encouraged by their early piece of good fortune Bangor continued their
assault on the Port goal. Dave Swanick fired over the bar when the ball was
worked across field. Port replied briefly and a Marc Lloyd Williams shot was
scrambled away for a corner. But Bangor went further ahead in the 12th
minute when Marc Limbert's free kick was poorly defended and Jamie Brewerton
took advantage and his shot was deflected past Vickers. Bangor added a third
in the 26th minute when Les Davies was allowed the time and space to turn in
the box and convert a low Sion Edwards cross. Marc Limbert came close with a
header after 30 minutes but then Port came a little more into things with
Steve Kehoe, who was beginning to make his presence felt in midfield, put
Marc Lloyd Williams through but the striker clipped his shot over the bar.
Carl Jones followed with a dangerous run across the box but delayed his shot
and the chance evaporated. 

Bangor threatened to add to their score in the opening minutes of the second
period. First a Sion Edwards cross was scrambled for a corner, then Craig
Sergeant thundered a shot against the bar and soon after Les Davies fed
Sharp but the striker lifted his shot over the bar. After that flurry of
activity in the Port box the visitors won a free kick and Smith needed two
attempts to keep out Carl Jones's well struck effort. Port then started to
move the ball around more promisingly and the best move ended with a low
shot by Iwan Tomos which went wide of the upright. Port were now showing
more control in the midfield with Steve Kehoe and substitute Iwan Tomos
giving the home side little time to dwell on the ball. Another good move
involving Carl Jones set up Iwan Tomos for a shooting chance and Smith had
to turn a good effort round the post. There were no additions to the score
in a second half which petered out with further Bangor substitutions and
some unnecessary yellow cards by the referee.

Though there was some encouragement for Paul Whelan in the second half he
knows only too well that part two of a tough week awaits with Rhyl the
visitors to the Traeth on Friday.

Bangor: Paul Smith, Dave Swanick, Martin Beattie, Mike Johnson, Jamie
Brewerton, Craig Sergeant, Marc Limbert, Fowler (K Killackey 57'), Les
Davies, Chris Sharp (Rob Talbot 63'), Sion Edwards (John Corrigan 75'). 
Subs not used; Caio Iwan (y), Clive Williams (y)
Yellow: Fowler 9', Beattie 58', Swanick 78', Talbot 82'

Porthmadog: Dave Vickers, Jon Peris Jones (Mark Thomas 48'), Ryan Davies,
Rhys Roberts (Matthew Hughes 76'), Ben Ogilvy: Richard Hughes, Steve Kehoe,
Richie Owen (Iwan Tomos 25'), Carl Jones; John Rowley, Marc Lloyd Williams.
Sub not used: Danny Rylance(y).
Yellow Rhys Roberts 56', Steve Kehoe 83'

Referee: Michael Jones				Attendance: 357

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, August 30th

Caersws FC ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Chris Melia 21'		John Rowley 33'
Mark Davies 51'		Marc Ll. Williams 74'
Steve Futcher 55'

Another poor defensive performance allowed Caersws to take all three points
and gain an important advantage over Porthmadog, their fellow strugglers
from last season. All three Caersws goals were presented to them, gift
wrapped, as another kamikaze defensive performance cost Port dearly. Had
there been bonus points for the quality of the goals then Port would have
come out on top but that is unlikely to worry Caersws who took their chances
when they were presented to them and Dave Taylor's team have got themselves
off to an excellent start. 

Port started well enough with John Rowley heading just over the bar in the
7th minute. But as early as the 12th minute the Port defence came under
severe pressure with Mark Davies firing dangerously over the bar from 18
yards and only a minute later Aeron Edwards was unfortunate when a
deflection took his shot over the bar. Then following Hopkins' free kick
Harvey had to scramble the ball round the post. It was not surprising that
Port were made to pay for their unconvincing defending in the 21st minute
when Ben Ogilvy's attempted header back to Harvey dropped into the path of
Chris Melia who gratefully accepted the gift and put the home side ahead.
Following this setback Port lifted their game and for the first time kept
possession and brought John Rowley and Marc Ll. Williams into the game with
both strikers forcing saves from Caersws's keeper Rowley. Just after the
half hour mark the visitors levelled the scores with an excellent goal after
a good build up. Chris Jones retained the ball well before sliding it
through for John Rowley who held off Steve Hughes and fired low past his
namesake in the home goal. The score remained level at the interval.

But only 10 minutes into the second half and the game was changed
completely. In that time two more errors had given Caersws a comfortable 3-1
advantage. In the 50th minute Ryan Davies left an innocuous looking ball in
from right for Richard Harvey advancing from his goal but the keeper failed
to gather and the ball dropped kindly, leaving Mark Davies with a simple tap
in. Rhys Roberts rescued Port temporarily with a header off his line with
Harvey beaten but it was to no avail as Steve Futcher drove low to
disappointingly beat Harvey at his near post. Port had given themselves a
mountain to climb but Marc Ll. Williams came close heading Kehoe's dangerous
cross just past the post while Harvey saved well from Haynes with his legs.
In the 73rd minute a free kick gave Marc Ll. Williams the chance to bring
Port back into the game and he curled a superb 25 yard free kick over the
wall and into the top corner of the net. When he last scored for the club
John Major was still PM! Only two minutes later the same player almost
pulled off another spectacular goal but was unlucky to lift his overhead
shot marginally over the bar. But despite pushing for the equaliser the
damage had been done and Caersws were able to get enough bodies in defence
to protect their advantage.

Paul Whelan, facing games against Bangor and Rhyl next week, will be very
concerned at the errors at the back but maybe also at the failure to exert
control in midfield. His plus however is that, should they get an adequate
supply of the ball, Marc Lloyd Williams and the hard working John Rowley
will find the net.

Porthmadog (4-2-4) Richard Harvey, Richie Owen, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Ben Ogilvy: Chris Jones (Matthew Hughes 74'), Steve Kehoe, Mark Thomas, Carl
Jones (Jon P. Jones 63'): John Rowley Marc Lloyd Williams.
Subs not used: Iwan Thomas, Danny Rylance (y)
Yellow: Steve Kehoe 18', Marc Ll. Williams 89'

Caersws: John Rowley, Jonathan Jones, Steve Hopkins, Ross Jeffries, Steve
Hughes, Jamie Haynes, Aeron Edwards, Chris Melia (Randles 79'), Steve
Futcher, Mark Davies Rob Cookson 88').
Yellow: Steve Hughes 42',Jamie Haynes 79' 

Referee: Kevin Morgan (Llandaf).	Attendance: 179.

Gareth Williams.  

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier,	-Saturday, August 23rd

CPD Porthmadog ... 0	Bangor City ... 6
				Chris Sharp 19'22'31'
				Jamie Brewerton 63'
				Ben Ogilvy (og) 64' 
                                  Mike Walsh 71'

An error ridden defensive performance by the home side gave Bangor a
comfortable win. It was not the kind of super performance which the score
suggests, but Bangor did not need to do any more than take advantage of the
many mistakes at the back. This they most certainly did and as the pressure
increased so did the mistakes.

It was not the return to the Traeth that Marc Lloyd Williams would have
wished for, but it all started so differently and in the opening fifteen
minutes it was Port who looked the most threatening. There was a good shout
for a penalty when Rhys Roberts was brought down but referee Huw Jones waved
play on. Richie Owen followed up with a 30 yard cracker which had keeper
Paul Smith beaten but the ball struck the underside of the bar and somehow
bounced to safety. Then in the space of 12 minutes the game was turned on
its head for in that time, aided by poor defending, new signing Chris Sharp
completed a hat trick for the visitors and Port skipper Ryan Davies suffered
a foot injury and though he struggled on he was not fully mobile and had to
be replaced at the interval.

The first goal came when Chris Sergeant clipped the ball over the Port
defence and Sharp was quickly on to it lifting his shot over the advancing
Harvey into the net. Three minutes later and he added a second when Ryan
Davies failed to clear and he scored from 10 yards. Then in the 31st minute
the game was virtually over for the home side when Port failed to mark their
back post and the tall figure of Sharp rose high to nod home Beattie's cross
and complete his hat trick. Sergeant came close with a shot from the edge of
the box but the score stood at 3-0 at the interval.

Early in the second period Smith collected a Carl Jones cross under his bar
and Marc Lloyd Williams fired an effort which ran across the face of goal.
Just past the hour mark however Port fell further behind. Richard Harvey
initially pulled off a fine one handed save to keep out Brewerton's close
range header but was unlucky to see the same player get a second bite and
this time the header found the net. The Bangor tally reached five a minute
later when a Chris Sharp flick came off the head of Ben Ogilvy and flew just
inside the post. The final Bangor goal came when Rhys Roberts failed to
clear, only managing to play the ball into the path of Mike Walsh who found
the net in clinical fashion. In the closing stages Richard Harvey saved well
from Sion Edwards, and Les Davies should have done better when yet another
defensive slip allowed him a clear shot on goal.

Though it is hard to see a silver lining for Port, Chris Jones and Carl
Jones looked skilful and creative going forward and with the right service
could be key players this season. Marc Lloyd Williams showed that he still
has the ability to get in front of his marker and has the pace over 10 yards
to get away from defenders. His experience will also be an important factor
if Port are to get their season on course after this severe buffeting. 

Porthmadog (4-4-2) Richard Harvey, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies (Richard Hughes
46'), Rhys Roberts, Ben Ogilvy: Gareth Parry, Mark Thomas, Richie Owen, Carl
Jones: Chris Jones, Mark Lloyd Williams.
Subs not used: Matthew Hughes, Jon Peris Jones, Danny Rylance (y)

Bangor: Smith, Swanick, Johnson, Brewerton Sergeant, Limbert (Caio Iwan
79'), Walsh, Les Davies, Talbot (Sion Edwards 46'), Sharp (Clive Williams
Subs not used: Fowler,McGuinness.

Referee: Huw Jones		Attendance: 409

Gareth Williams

League Cup -Tuesday, August 19th.

CPD Porthmadog ...2		Caersws ...3
Ben Ogilvy 30'		Chris Melia 43'
Mark Thomas 78'		David Hughes 52'
			Ross Jefferies 79'

Yet again a former player came back to haunt Porthmadog. This time it was
former Port and Airbus winger David Hughes who did the damage against a
seriously weakened home line-up lacking Rhys Roberts, Ryan Davies, Gareth
Parry and John Rowley from last Saturday's team. This is in addition to
Marcus Orlik and Steve Kehoe who were also missing on Saturday.

With the scores level at the interval it was David Hughes who put the
visitors ahead when a cross field ball found him in acres of space on the
right and he drove the ball across home keeper Richard Harvey into the
corner of the net from 20 yards. Later Hughes struck again after Port had
levelled the game in the 78th minute with a fierce shot from fully 30 yards
which struck Harvey's far post and it was Caersws sub, Ross Jeffries, was on
hand to tap in from close range.

The visitors had the best of the early play getting the better of things
territorially but were guilty of wasting possession with a poor final pass
or rather aimless shooting. In the 12th minute Harvey made a double save to
keep out Aeron Edwards and then Steve Futcher and shortly after David Hughes
forced the keeper into a good save at his near post. Then Jamie Haynes was
guilty of a glaring miss on 22 minutes firing wide when well placed.
Gradually Port's makeshift line-up settled and Chris Jones, who always
looked threatening with his good control and direct runs, forced Rowley in
the Caersws goal to pull off a good one handed save after 27 minutes. Just
three minutes later and Port were ahead when Carl Jones lifted a fine
free-kick from the left touchline which Ben Ogilvy met with a clean header
to score a goal on his home debut, giving Rowley no chance. But the lead was
wiped out two minutes before the interval when a huge boot downfield from
Rowley bounced in the Porthmadog box and Chris Melia took advantage of
hesitancy in the home six yard area to score. 

Six minutes into the second half and David Hughes put his former club behind
for the first time. Port now went in search of an equaliser and late on
started putting the visitors under pressure overcoming the tendency to play
high balls which had done little to trouble Sudlow and Steve Hughes. Chris
Jones and Carl Jones came more and more into the game linking up well with
Mark Thomas and young sub Danny Rylands who was making his first team debut.
Carl Jones tested Rowley with a free kick which curled around the wall and
the same player showed his close control weaving past four defenders before
firing at Rowley. In the 78th minute Port levelled the scores at 2-2 when a
Carl Jones corner was deflected across the goal and partially saved only for
Mark Thomas to apply the finishing touch from close range. But the score
stood for only a minute when David Hughes's speculative long range effort
was turned in by Jeffries. A save at second attempt kept out Carl Jones in
Port's final attempt to gain parity.

Port will hope to see some of the injured brigade back on duty for
Saturday's visit of Bangor City.

Porthmadog (4-4-2) Richard Harvey (Dave Vickers 75'), Jon Peris Jones,
Richard Hughes, Mike Foster, Ben Ogilvy: Iwan Thomas (Adam Griffiths 65'),
Mark Thomas, Richie Owen, Carl Jones: Chris Jones, Matthew Hughes (Danny
Rylands 75').
Subs not used: Richard Jones, Steve Jones. 

Caersws: Rowley, Graham Jones (Jonathan Jones 44') , Cookson, Sudlow, Steve
Hughes, Haynes, Dave Hughes, Aeron Edwards (Graham Randles 68'), Melia,
Futcher (Ross Jeffries 68'), Mark Davies.

Referee: Steve Harms		Attendance: 174

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier -Saturday, August 16th.

Carmarthen Town ...1		CPD Porthmadog ...0
Tim Hicks 40'

A Tim Hicks goal five minutes before the interval separated these two sides
at the end of the ninety minutes. But there was little doubt that the home
side fully deserved the three points in a game where they held the upper
hand for most of the time but failed to turn their territorial advantage
into clear cut chances. All of which meant that Porthmadog remained in the
game until the final whistle and even in the 90th minute they won a free
kick in a dangerous position which might have provided an equaliser.

New manager, Paul Whelan, remained upbeat at the end, "We were beaten by a
scruffy goal but I could not have asked for more. All the lads gave a 100%
effort and that is all you can ask. We played some good football at times
and created a few good chances. We definitely have something to build on."
The 'scruffy' goal came after 40 minutes when it seemed that Port would make
it to the interval without conceding. A Sacha Walters free kick on the right
of the box was partially cleared only for Danny Thomas to send a low cross
which Tim Hicks netted from close range.

The home side set the pace from the start with Cotterall and Walters
threatening down the flanks. Walters came close with a far post header from
Cotterall's cross after 4 minutes. Mark Thomas responded for Port three
minutes later with a well struck effort following a good build up. But it
was Carmarthen who continued to threaten with Hicks getting behind the
defence on a couple of occasions only to lift his shots over the bar and the
same player sent a glancing header across the face of goal. But Port were
not without their moments as Carl Jones came close with a 20 yard free kick
and once opened up the home defence with a mazy run which took him past four
defenders. John Rowley could have opened the score when Richie Owen put him
through, after 28, minutes with a well judged lob.  Then came the Hicks goal
which put the home side ahead at the interval.

Carmarthen continued to hold the upper hand in the second period with Sacha
Walters providing the main threat down the right. A couple of times he
tested Richard Harvey forcing the keeper to punch clear on one occasion and
soon after the keeper turned a powerful shot round the post. Harvey could
only parry yet another powerful Walters effort away and the same player
latched on to the rebound but was off target with his shot. The best home
chance fell again to Walters who rounded the advancing Harvey in the 89th
minute but could only shoot into the side netting. Porthmadog's best efforts
in the second period came from Carl Jones' 57th minute shot which brought a
good save from keeper Neil Thomas and a Chris Jones shot which was diverted
for a corner. To their credit Port kept battling to the end and switched a
first half 4-5-1 formation to 4-4-2 in an effort to secure a point.

Despite the loss, this was a creditable team performance, with once again,
Ryan Davies and Rhys Roberts looking a composed partnership at the heart of
the defence. 

Carmarthen: Neil Thomas, Richard Hughes, Damien Searle, Nicky Palmer, Liam
Hancock, Mark Dodds, Danny Thomas, Tim Hicks ( Stuart Roberts 70'), Paul
Fowler, Sacha Walters, Nathan Cotterall ( Lee Hudgell 67'). 
Sub not used: Deryn Brace.

Porthmadog 4-5-1: Richard Harvey, Mike Foster (Matthew Hughes 85'), Ryan
Davies, Rhys Roberts, Ben Ogilvy: Chris Jones, Gareth Parry, Richie Owen,
Mark Thomas (Iwan Thomas 79'), Carl Jones (Jon Peris Jones 74'): John
Yellow: Ryan Davies 25', Richie Owen 39'.

Referee: Mark Whitby	Attendance: 295

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us