CPD Porthmadog FC
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Rhyl (h) | Airbus Brychdyn/Broughton (a) | Y Trallwng/Welshpool (a) | Caersws [LC] (a) | TNS (a) |
| Caernarfon [WC] (h) |
Welsh Cup Round 2 -Saturday, October 4th

CPD Porthmadog ... 5		Caernarfon Town ... 3
M.L.Williams 41', 51'		Lee Furlong 13', 19'
John Rowley 47', 52', 58'	Ian Dawes 82'

Two goals up in 19 minutes and things looked good for the Cofis, but the
game was turned on its head when Port replied with 5 goals -including a John
Rowley hat trick- in 17 minutes either side of half-time. The strong wind
blowing straight down the pitch was a contributory factor in the change
around in fortunes but some kamikaze defending by both defences contributed
even more to the high scoring.

The visitors went ahead after 13 minutes, against the run of play, when Lee
Furlong punished some weak defensive play. A breakdown in a Port attack was
followed by a quick exchange of passes to free Furlong who made the most of
his opportunity to score from 15 yards. Only six minutes later and Furlong
added a second when the ball broke to him from an attempted tackle and he
took his chance well scoring from 10 yards. Before these goals Rowley could
have put the home side in front and in between the two goals Chris Jones had
a shot cleared off the line and Marc Lloyd Williams had his shot deflected
over the bar. After 20 minutes Lee Furlong's eventful game was over as he
limped off to be replaced by Ian Dawes. Port, despite playing into the
strong wind, continued to create chances and Jago saved well from Eifion
Jones at the foot of the upright and Marc Lloyd Williams headed an excellent
Mark Thomas cross over the bar. But the way back into the game came when
Mark Thomas was brought down in the box and Marc Lloyd Williams scored from
the spot. On the stroke of half-time Jiws spurned a second penalty
opportunity when he shot straight at Jago after the keeper had brought down
Carl Jones.

Home supporters did not have long to wait for the equaliser. A minute into
the second period John Rowley did well to get his head to a Marc Lloyd
Williams cross wide on the left. Jago then pulled off a fine save to deny
Marc Lloyd Williams three minutes later. But after 51 minutes the home side
were ahead when Jiws got the final touch to a superb Carl Jones corner -one
of many during the game. Only a minute later John Rowley rose well to get a
clean header on a Mark Thomas cross. Rowley went on to complete an 11 minute
hat trick when his 18 yard shot went under Mike Jago and into the net. It
could have been six but Marc Lloyd Williams headed Carl Jones's excellent
cross narrowly past the post. Then Port appeared to take their foot off the
accelerator and Dawes went close with a 20 yard effort and Smith had a shot
deflected over the bar. Richard Harvey then needed to make a good save to
deny Grice. But the warnings were not heeded and Dawes took his 82 minute
chance well to convert a good cross by Steve Johnson. Rowley could have had
a 4th when he was put through by Rhys Roberts but there were no more
additions to the eight goals already scored in an eventful game.

The important thing was to secure a place in the 3rd round and Port ensured
this, though not without some mishaps and nervous moments early on. It is
always pleasing to score five goals, especially when one of your strikers
gets a hat trick, but defensive errors and frailties remain a cause for
concern for manager Paul Whelan. 

Porthmadog: (4-4-2) Richard Harvey, Mark Thomas, Ryan Davies, Eifion Jones,
Mike Foster (Richie Owen 82'): Chris Jones, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts, Carl
Jones (Iwan Tomos 90'): John Rowley (Gareth Parry 89') Mark Lloyd Williams.

Caernarfon: Mike Jago, Dermott Whelan 53'), Andy Johnson, Brookes, Maddocks,
Grice, Steve Johnson, Lee Furlong (Ian Dawes 20'), Waugh, Ojapah, Keith
Smith. Sub: Rob Hughes.
Yellow: Mark Dermott 21', Mike Jago 44'

Referee: Mark Petch (Deganwy) Attendance: 177

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 27th

The New Saints ... 6	CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Alfie Carter 39'
Craig Williams 49'
Jamie Wood 58'
Alex Darlington 61'
Mike Wilde 78'
John Toner 83'

This game was decided early in the second half when the Saints scored three
times in only 12 minutes. This, added to the fortuitous one they got 6
minutes before the interval, meant that the game was well and truly over as
a contest. Before this, for 38 minutes, Port had defended well and there
seemed every likelihood that they would make it to the interval without
conceding a goal. Though there had been a couple of hairy moments the
full-timers had struggled to break them down and Porthmadog had even managed
to create a couple of good chances of their own.

Early on the home side settled into their usual pattern spreading the ball
wide and retaining it well. But apart from couple of headers from Tommy
Holmes at corners, Richard Harvey was untroubled. In fact Port could have
gone ahead in the 27th minute when Chris Jones played the ball forward into
the path of Marc Lloyd Williams and the striker cut inside from the right
but his shot went across the face of goal and wide of the upright. A few
minutes later and Marc Lloyd Williams again gained a yard on his marker this
time down the left and Paul Harrison needed to be at his best to keep out
the shot at the expense of a corner. Then just as it seemed that Port would
reach the interval with a clean sheet Marc Lloyd Williams turned towards his
own goal in midfield intending to pass back to Harvey but he totally
underhit his pass allowing Alfie Carter to nip in, veer left, and shoot past
Richard Harvey. Following this disaster Porthmadog were lucky not to concede
again as Alex Darlington struck the post and the rebound was cleared from
the line by Mark Thomas.

The second half was one way traffic as The Saints set out immediately to
impose themselves on the game stretching the game and using both flanks to
good effect. Only four minutes of the second period had gone when Alfie
Carter rounded two defenders before crossing low for debutant Craig Williams
to net from close range. Just nine minutes later and Jamie Wood added a
third after a neat exchange of passes with Alex Darlington. It was only a
further three minutes before the game was sealed with a fourth goal. Hogan
found Darlington on the right of the box and the striker fired past Harvey
from a tight angle. The Saints continued to dominate throughout the half and
Wilde, who had been guilty of a couple of misses, got on the score sheet
converting another of Jamie Wood's low crosses. Richard Harvey pulled off a
couple of excellent saves one of these from Toner when he dived to his right
to keep out a goal bound shot. But in added time Toner did score taking
advantage of another excellent ball played in by Jamie Wood.

Following an excellent defensive performance in the first half it was
disappointing to concede five goals in the second half. By the end there was
no doubt that superior fitness told with The Saints retaining the ball so
well meaning a great deal of running for Port on an unfamiliar surface. The
consolation is that they will not have to face this quality of opposition
every week.

Porthmadog: (4-4-2) Richard Harvey, Mark Thomas, Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies,
Mike Foster: Chris Jones, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts, Richie Owen (Iwan
Tomos 77'): John Rowley (Carl Jones 66' Iwan Williams 72'), Marc Lloyd
Williams. Sub not used Danny Rylance (y)
Yellow: Mark Thomas 57' Richie Owen 65'

TNS Harrison, Hogan, Holmes, Courtney, Baker (Craig Williams 36'), Leah,
Taylor, Darlington (Ruscoe 72'), Wilde, Carter (Darlington 72'), Wood.
Yellow: Hogan 87'

Referee: Brian James		Attendance: 211

Gareth Williams

Welsh Premier League Cup   - Tuesday, September 23rd

Caersws ... 1		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Aeron Edwards 26'		Marc Lloyd Williams 86'

A Marc Lloyd Williams goal four minutes from time gave Port the draw they
deserved having controlled the game territorially in the second half and
coming close to scoring on more than one occasion. This late goal cancelled
out the home side's advantage, one which they had held since the 26th
minute. This late equaliser prevented what would have been Caersws's third
win of the season over Porthmadog and instead stretched Port's unbeaten run
to three games.

The early play belonged to Porthmadog and indeed they should have been ahead
in the first minute when a slick move involving five players ended with a
John Rowley through ball which put Marc Lloyd Williams through on the
keeper, but uncharacteristically Jiws spurned the opportunity with a weak
finish and the ball was scrambled clear. Gradually after an uncertain start
the home side began to threaten with swift counter attacks which stretched a
Port defence which had Ryan Davies back partnered by Richie Owen. One of
these moves saw the ball switched to the dangerous Aeron Edwards out on the
left and the winger cut inside and unleashed a low shot into the far corner
of the net to put the home side ahead. They could have gone further ahead a
minute later when a cross field ball found the same player in space on the
left but this time his shot was off target. Numerous times in the opening
half Dave Vickers had to be alert leaving his line to gather the ball or
make timely interceptions. The home side held their lead at the interval.

Port dominated the game territorially in the second period and Andy Hughes
for Caersws was by far the busier of the two keepers. But despite the
pressure Graham Jones and Steve Hughes looked strong at the heart of the
home defence. But in the 64th minute Port thought they had equalised when
John Rowley met Chris Jones's free kick with a downward header and felt it
had crossed the line but the linesman disagreed and so Andy Hughes's diving
one handed save was adjudged to have been enough to keep the ball out. Later
Carl Jones was set up for a shot by a good interchange of passes on the edge
of the box but his low shot went the wrong side of the upright. Then with
time running out Rhys Roberts headed Carl Jones's free kick on to the post
but disappointment turned to elation as goal poacher Marc Lloyd Williams was
on hand to tap into the net. And he was unlucky not have sealed the game for
Port in the final minute when he burst away from his marker to fire a low
shot from 15 yards which also struck the upright but this time there was no
one on hand to apply a finishing touch.

With their interest in the League Cup now at an end, thoughts turn to the
huge task at Oswestry on Saturday.

Caersws: Andy Hughes, Jonathan Jones, Cookson, Graham Jones, Steve Hughes,
Haynes, David Hughes (Dawson 86'), Aeron Edwards, Melia, Prodger (Randles
84') Mark Davies.
Subs not used: Dave Taylor Paul John (y)
Yellow: Jonathan Jones 66', Haynes 86'.

Porthmadog (4-4-2): Dave Vickers, Steve Kehoe (Mark Thomas 14'), Ryan
Davies, Richie Owen, Ben Ogilvy (Mike Foster 62'): Chris Jones, Iwan Tomos,
Rhys Roberts, Carl Jones: John Rowley, Marc Lloyd Williams.
Sub not used: Paul Whelan. 
Yellow: Ryan Davies 56', Iwan Tomos 72'.

Referee: Lee James		Attendance: 117

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 20th

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Welshpool Town ... 1
Steve Kehoe 6'		Paul Roberts 64'
John Rowley 36'

Port followed up their first win of the season at Airbus with their first
home win, a feat which eluded them until the final game of the 2007/08
season. Going ahead after only six minutes they then consolidated things
with a further goal before half-time and were looking by far the better
team. Home supporters looking for more of the same in the second period
found that roles were reversed and it was Welshpool who pulled one back and
took the game to Port, who in trying to hold on to what they had, only put
themselves under greater pressure. It required Eifion Jones, making his home
debut, and Richard Harvey, in goal, to be at the top of their game to
frustrate a strong late challenge by the visitors.

Port opened brightly with Chris Jones and Carl Jones threatening down the
flanks and the Welshpool back line being put under early pressure. It was no
surprise when the home side went ahead when an excellent Chris Jones cross
from the right was met by Steve Kehoe at the back post getting up well to
head past Mulliner and record his first goal since joining the club in the
summer. But a minute later and Port were almost punished for standing still
and waiting for the linesman's flag but Paul Roberts raced on, hoping to
punish his old club, but Richard Harvey saved the situation diving to his
left. Richard Harvey was soon in action again pulling off good saves at his
near post to deny first Wilkinson and then Kevin Davies. But for most of the
half it was Port who looked likely to add to their early goal. Carl Jones
fired a low shot saved by Mulliner and a second goal looked inevitable when
a 26th minute corner by the same player had the Welshpool defence at sixes
and sevens and the ball was scrambled away off the line and off the post.
Next Rhys Roberts headed Chris Jones's corner over the bar and Marc Lloyd
Williams tested Mulliner as he burst through on the left. It was no more
than the home side deserved when they doubled their lead in the 36th minute
with John Rowley's neat touch turning Carl Jones's swerving cross past

Port looked comfortable at the interval but with Tomi Morgan's words no
doubt ringing in their ears the visitors raised their game and began to
control things in midfield. Twice Harvey had to pull off saves to keep out
first Ross Stephens and then Steve Rogers as Welshpool began to pepper the
home goal. Despite this Port were unlucky not to go further ahead when Chris
Jones capped the best move of the game with a fine low cross to which John
Rowley just failed to apply a finishing touch. But four minutes past the
hour mark and Welshpool pulled a goal back. The ball bobbed about in the box
following Stephens' corner and Paul Roberts found the net with a clever shot
over his shoulder. In the last 20 minutes Port increasingly concentrated on
holding on to their lead and tactically withdrew Marc Lloyd Williams in
order to pack their midfield. It was more a case of 'all's well that ends
well' as Port retreated further and further into their own half of the field
and had no one up front to hold on to the ball and relieve the pressure.
Paul Roberts put the ball in the net but was ruled offside and in added time
Richard Harvey had to pull off another outstanding save to deny sub Will

Paul Whelan commenting at the end said "It was good to get another three
points and pull off a win at home, though we were forced to defend in the
second half. Eifion Jones and Richard Harvey were outstanding. We played so
well in the first half and should have been out of sight by half-time. But
this win will help to boost the lads' confidence for the games ahead."

Porthmadog: (4-4-2) Richard Harvey, Mark Thomas, Eifion Jones, Rhys Roberts,
Mike Foster: Chris Jones Ben Ogilvy 89'), Steve Kehoe, Richie Owen, Carl
Jones (Iwan Williams 80'): John Rowley, Marc Lloyd Williams (Iwan Thomas

Welshpool: Mulliner, Kevin Davies, Boardman, George Hughes, Tim Edwards,
Keegan, Stephens, Wilkinson (Andy Davies 62'), Rogers (W. Thomas 77'), Paul
Roberts, Harris. Subs not used: Max Powell, Luke Miller.
Yellow: Keegan 52'

Referee: Rob Duncan (Ellesmere)	Attendance: 226

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Friday, September 12th

Airbus Broughton ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 3
			John Rowley '57
			Marc Lloyd Williams '82, '86

At the fifth time of asking Porthmadog got their season up and running with
a win. While though not as clear cut as the score line suggests it was most
certainly a far better all round performance and deserving of the three
points. Though it must be said, that the Airfield team contributed to their
own downfall through indiscipline. They were reduced to 10 men after 73
minutes when Cadwallader received his marching orders for a second bookable
offence within three minutes. Woodward followed after 84 minutes, receiving
a straight red, which meant that the home side played out the last six
minutes with 9 players left on the pitch. For the second successive game
Airbus were brought into conflict with referee A P Harms, and on this
occasion, at least, have only themselves to blame.

Porthmadog enjoyed the lion's share of the possession in the opening half
but did not manage to create any clear scoring opportunities. They relied
mainly on high balls up to John Rowley who worked hard but found it a tough
battle up against some very tight marking. It was Rowley, however, who first
tested the home defence when he had a header diverted for a corner and later
saw a snapshot from inside the box fly just over the bar. Marc Lloyd
Williams's only early opportunity came when he turned well in the box but
had his shot blocked. The closest Port came to turning their territorial
advantage into a goal came when Chris Jones cut across field from the right
and sent a dipping shot over the bar from 18 yards. Though they had fewer
attacking opportunities in the first half Airbus could well have taken the
lead in the 27th minute when McIntosh teed up the ball for Tom Rowlands but
the shot was off target. Only a minute later and it took an outstanding
Richard Harvey save, diving at the feet of Rowlands who had been put clean
through, to prevent a goal. 

The introduction of Carl Jones, at the beginning of the second period, in
place of Iwan Tomos who had received a first half yellow card, helped to
change the pattern of the game. His clever running at the defence eventually
paid off for Port. After 57 minutes he set off on a diagonal run before
supplying Chris Jones out on the right, and the winger's cross to the far
post where Rowley who had hardly any room managed to squeeze a header past
Palethorpe into the home net. But Airbus threatened to hit back immediately
with John Davies setting off on a run from his own half and his well judged
pass put McIntosh clean through the visitors defence. The striker was
unlucky to see his shot hit the post and bounce to safety. The home side
continued to hold the edge with the Port goal coming under fire with a
series of well taken corners from both flanks and some dangerous Molyneux
long throws from the right. Even after the dismissal of Cadwallader the home
side continued to push forward but then a poor clearance allowed Carl Jones
to burst into the box where he was pulled down. Marc Lloyd Williams
converted the penalty in fine style and four minutes from time the league's
all time leading scorer found the net from close range turning Chris Jones's
low cross past Palethorpe.

After conceding 14 goals in the previous 5 league games it was really
pleasing to manage a clean sheet. Though not entirely devoid of hairy
moments Port looked far steadier at the back. In the second period they
reverted to a 4-4-2 formation with Eifion Jones and Ryan Davies in central
defence and Rhys Roberts adding his strength to midfield. Port have given
themselves a morale booster and something now to build upon. 
Airbus: Palethorpe, Ryan Edwards, Fiaccielo, J Rowlands, John Davies, mark
Allen, Cadwallader, Woodward, Tom Rowlands (Molyneux 62'), McIntosh (Richard
Smart 88'), Kilgannon. 
Subs not used: Neil Wynne, Tom Vickers, Charlie Owen.
Yellow: Kilgannon 28', Fiacielo 39',McIntosh 61', Cadwallader 70', 73', 
Palethorpe 84'. Red:Cadwallader 73', Woodward 84'.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts: Chris
Jones, Steve Kehoe, Mark Thomas (Iwan Williams 88'), Iwan Tomos (Carl Jones
46'), Mike Foster (Ben Ogilvy 88'): John Rowley, Marc Lloyd Williams. 
Yellow Iwan Tomos 28'.

Referee AP Harms (Prestatyn)  	Attendance: 212

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Friday, September 5th

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Rhyl ... 3
			Jamie Reed '39
			Neil Roberts '74
			Craig Jones '89

Despite the score line, this was a far better Port performance and though
Rhyl were the only team likely to pick up the three points a goal by Craig
Jones in the 90th minute helped make the margin of victory greater than
Port's hard working 90 minutes deserved. 

It took the visitors, who have made such an impressive start to the season,
until the 37th minute before they got themselves in front. Before that
Port's high work rate denied the Rhyl the room and time to develop their
dangerous passing game. Steve Kehoe and Iwan Tomos closed down well in
midfield and Mark Thomas kept a tight reign on the pacy Josh Johnson. As a
result Richard Harvey was only called into action on a couple of occasions
and one of these came in the opening minutes when Mark Connolly cut inside
but Harvey turned his low shot round the post and later he dealt well with a
Gareth Owen effort. As they grew in confidence Port showed up more in attack
with Chris Jones and Carl Jones making probing runs. With half an hour gone
John Rowley was brought down on the edge of the box and Marc Lloyd
Williams's low free kick was blocked on the line by Josh Johnson. Ironically
it was another break by Rowley which was the trigger for Rhyl's first goal.
When the move broke down a quick transfer out of defence gave Danny Williams
the opportunity to chip a perfectly weighted ball over the defence putting
Jamie Reed clear and the striker fired low past Richard Harvey. Rhyl went in
at the interval a goal up but Port could well feel that their excellent
first half performance deserved better.

The home side were not interested in damage limitation as they opened the
second half brightly. Marc Lloyd Williams received the ball in space 25
yards out but shot narrowly wide. Soon after Carl Jones and Chris Jones
combined well to create a heading chance for Marc Lloyd Williams but Kendall
in the Rhyl goal punched clear. With their confidence growing Port forced a
series of corners but could not break down the experienced Rhyl back line.
Gradually the visitors re-established themselves and Neil Roberts came close
with header and Ogilvy had to head out a dangerous Johnson cross. But Port
were not entirely out of the game and Marc Lloyd Williams set up John Rowley
but the big striker's shot failed to hit the target. With 74 minutes gone
Rhyl scored a vital second goal. Gareth Owen's corner was worked across to
the right and Neil Roberts rose at the back post to head Connolly's cross in
from close range. There was no way back for Port now as all their valiant
efforts began to take their toll but the third goal in the 90th minute was
perhaps more than Rhyl deserved. John Rowley's clearing tackle in the area
took a deflection and gave Craig Jones a simple tap in.

Though disappointed by the margin of the victory, Port will take heart from
a good all round display. Until Rhyl scored their second goal a quarter of
an hour from time Port remained very much in the game. Next Friday's visit
to Airbus now becomes a key fixture for Port in their effort to break this
sequence of defeats.  

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Mark Thomas, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts (Danny
Rylance 86'), Mike Foster (Ben Ogilvy 67'): Chris Jones, Iwan Tomos, Steve
Kehoe, Carl Jones (Matthew Hughes 79'): John Rowley, Marc Lloyd Williams.
Subs not used: Adam Griffiths. Yellow: Carl Jones 77'.

Rhyl: Lee Kendall, Mark Connolly, Greg Stones, Greg Strong, George Horan,
Danny Williams, James Kelly, Gareth Owen, Jamie Reed (Carl Owen 78'), Neil
Roberts, Josh Johnson (Craig Jones 84'). 
Sub not used: Paul O'Neill. Yellow: Greg Stones 22', Gareth Owen 24', Greg
Strong 76'.

Referee: Mark Petch	Attendance: 306.

Gareth Williams       


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us