CPD Porthmadog FC
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Trallwng / Welshpool (a) | Caernarfon (h) | Llanelli (a) | Port Talbot (h) | Haverfordwest (h) |
| Connah's Quay (a) | Aberystwyth (h) |

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	Saturday, April 25th

CPD Porthmadog ... 4		Aberystwyth ... 1
Chris Jones 26, 68, 81(pen)	Graham Evans 55
Marc Lloyd-Williams 47

In perfect weather conditions an immaculate Traeth surface looked ready for
a new season rather than the tail end of a disappointing 2008/09. A Chris
Jones hat-trick provided the inspiration for a good Port victory. But with
Port in relaxed mood after another nerve racking end to the season and with
Aberystwyth definitely not in the mood to pick up any more red cards, the
game had something of the air of a pre-season friendly with little at stake.

Port, from the start, showed some neat passing moves and after Liam Shenahan
had gone down well to collect a dangerous Ross Stephens free-kick it was the
home team who looked the more likely to open the scoring. This should have
come in the 13th minute when a low cross by Mark Thomas only needed the
faintest of touches. Carl Jones had threatened to open up the Aber defence
several times in the opening stages and it was no surprise when he provided
the cross for the opening goal. Having received from Marc Lloyd Williams his
excellent low cross was converted by Chris Jones bursting in at the far
post. Port forced several corners and from one of these Rhys Roberts tested
Hartnell with a useful header. But Aberystwyth occasionally looked dangerous
on the break and Shanahan had to be quickly off his line to block the
advancing Andy Evans. But at the interval it was the Chris Jones score which
separated the two teams.

Two minutes into the second period Port doubled their advantage. The goal
resulted from a good build up involving Chris Jones and Mark Thomas with the
league's all-time top scorer, Marc Lloyd Williams forcing himself between
two defenders to head past Hartnell. The striker followed this with a low
shot from 18 yards to bring a diving save from Hartnell. But with 55 minutes
gone the visitors snatched a goal back when Graham Evans latched on to a
left wing cross to beat Shanahan at the near post. Port responded
immediately and Mike Foster was unlucky to see his well struck 25 yard
free-kick fly narrowly outside Hartnell's left hand post. Aber then enjoyed
a good spell and Shanahan came out well to deny Graham Evans and soon after
dealt well with a Venables header. Marc Lloyd Williams came close under
heavy pressure from Colin Reynolds but, with Port utilising the space behind
Aber's high defensive line, Chris Jones took advantage of a careless back
pass to run on and round keeper Hartnell to make the score 3-1 in Port's
favour. Graham Evans continued to be Aber's biggest threat and it required a
well-timed Mark Thomas tackle to halt him as he homed in on goal. But Port
had the last word when Chris Jones got behind the Aber defence again only to
be upended by keeper Hartnell. Jones got up and completed his hat-trick from
the spot with a shot fired into Hartnell's left hand corner.

It proved a high note to end what has been a poor season and that, combined
with the news that Tomi Morgan has committed himself to Port for next
season, sent the long suffering Traeth supporters home happy.

Porthmadog: Liam Shanahan, Mark Thomas, Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies, Mike
Foster: Chris Jones (Cai Jones 88), Rhys Roberts, Richie Owen, Ben Ogilvy
(John Rowley 70), Carl Jones (Steve Jones 83): Marc Lloyd Williams. Yellow:
Carl Jones 51. 

Aberystwyth: Hartnell, Sion James, Kristian James, Christian Edwards
(Bradshaw 71), Andy Evans (Bari Morgan 54), Venables, Gareth Hughes, Graham
Evans, Richard Evans, Ross Stephens (Kellaway 54). Yellow Hartnell 80.

Referee: Kevin Parry.		Attendance: 223.

Gareth Williams 

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	_Monday, April 13th

Gap Connah's Quay ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Danny Forde 11			Marc Lloyd Williams 87
Michael Cronshaw 50, 66

The inconsistency which has haunted Porthmadog all season came back to undo
them once more. In a performance totally unrecognisable from the winning
performance of two days ago they allowed the Nomads to control things and
run out comfortable winners. The bone hard, uneven surface and the blustery
wind was the perfect recipe for a poor game played in front of a small
The Nomads took the lead after 11 minutes and for the rest of the half they
hardly tested Richard Harvey. Despite coming close on one or two occasions
Port failed to strike back and two Cronshaw goals in the first 20 minutes of
the second period more or less settled the game in the home team's favour.
Marc Lloyd Williams started on his 4th century with a late goal which
deserved far better than to be a mere consolation. 
The early disjointed play suggested that there would be minimal
entertainment for the sparse crowd and that is how it turned out. John
Rowley burst from midfield for Port after 8 minutes to play a through ball
for his strike partner Marc Lloyd Williams but on this occasion the goal
machine under pressure could not get sufficient power on his shot to
seriously test McCormick. Two minutes later when a Port move broke down in
midfield the ball was switched to Cronshaw wide on the right and he picked
out Forde unmarked on the edge of the box and the forward met the cross with
a superb header high into Harvey's right hand corner. Port threatened, after
this setback, relying mainly on long high balls from the back or for free
kicks and corners to provide scoring opportunities. John Rowley met a Chris
Jones corner but his angled shot went narrowly over the bar. A 20th minute
Chris Parry free kick found Ryan Davies in space at the far post but the
defenders shot hit the side netting. Eifion Jones came closest for Port two
minutes later but was unlucky to see his side footed flick from a Steve
Kehoe free kick clipping the cross bar. For the remainder of the half there
were few if any chances at either end and with the ball airborne for much of
the time there was very little pattern to the game.
Five minutes into the second half the Nomads doubled their lead when a poor
Porthmadog clearance was switched to Cronshaw in plenty of space on the
left. The winger cut inside, entered the box, and fired across Richard
Harvey and just inside his left hand post. The Nomads coping far better with
the elements put the Port defence under further pressure with Loughlin
firing over the bar from 20 yards and when Forde broke past Mark Thomas his
shot went across the face of goal and wide. Steve Kehoe, by then switched to
midfield, with a lob into the box provided a rare opening for Marc Lloyd
Williams but the striker lifted his shot narrowly over the bar from 12
yards. But when Loughlin cut inside from the left beating Eifion Jones on the
by-line it was game over as his low cross provided Cronshaw with his second
goal of the match from a simple tap in. There was no way back for Port now
though Kehoe from 20 yards lobbed past the retreating McCormick's post and
Rhys Roberts headed a Carl Jones in-swinging free kick over the bar. With
just three minutes left Marc Lloyd Williams produced a superb individual
goal. He received with his back to goal turned Doran and fired into Mc
Cormick's top left hand corner from 25 yards. A marvellous goal, but too
late to change the game and out of character with much of the sub-standard
play on show. The game ended with a Paul Addo effort from distance for the
Nomads and a Doran free kick which Richard Harvey saved. But Port's
miserable day got even worse when Steve Kehoe received a red card on 90
minutes for retaliating after being fouled
With Caersws picking up a point at Newtown, fixtureless Port will have to
sit it out next Saturday before welcoming Cup-finalists Aberystwyth to the
Traeth on the last day of the season.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Steve Kehoe, Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies, Mike
Foster (Ben Ogilvy 79): Chris Jones, Chris Parry (Carl Jones 55), Rhys
Roberts, Richie Owen (Mark Thomas 55): John Rowley, Marc Lloyd Williams.
Sub not used: Liam Shanahan(y). Yellow: Ryan Davies 59 Red: Steve Kehoe 90. 

Connah's Quay: McCormick, Bamford, Doran, Ben Alston, Andy Alston, Quinn,
Craig Jones (Addo 76), Forde, Ronnie Morgan (Clarke 26), Loughlin (Dixon
86), Cronshaw. Subs not used: Whelan, Pinch. 

Referee: Rob Duncan		Attendance: 115.

Gareth Williams.    

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, April 11th  

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Haverfordwest County ... 1
Ryan Davies 60			Nicky Woodrow 81
Marc Ll. Williams 76

A very relieved Tomi Morgan said at the end, "It was a really important
three points in a game where we performed very well, as we did against Port
Talbot last week but this time we got the win our play deserved. But we are
not safe yet. It was also good to see Jiws getting his goal. Now he can
relax and score more goals." 
This was a big win against a side who have been in an excellent run of form
taking them up to fifth place in the table. Considering the performance
today it is hard to understand why Port have gone five games without picking
up a point. They dominated the game from early on and should have been ahead
in the opening half but they did not get the goal they deserved until Ryan
Davies' header edged them in front on the hour mark and then Marc Lloyd
Williams' wait for his 300th WPL goal ended with a second Port goal after 76
minutes. But Haverfordwest came back hard in the last 10 minutes with a
Nicky Woodrow goal making it a jittery end to the game for the home side.

From the outset Porthmadog set the pace and after only 6 minutes Rhys
Roberts forced visitors' keeper Idzi into a good diving save. Rhys Roberts
was a danger with strong runs from midfield and set up a shooting chance for
Marc Lloyd Williams and moments later was unlucky to see a header fly over
the bar. Chris Jones down the right caused the visitors defence problems
with his tricky runs and good supply of crosses. Carl Jones and Ryan Davies
both had good shooting opportunities but delayed their shots and the chance
was gone. Kevin Morgan was Haverfordwest's main source of danger but the
returning Richard Harvey was hardly troubled though he had to be quickly off
his line to thwart Neil Thomas just before the interval. Half time was
reached without a home goal and that despite the pressure with Lee Jarman
using his experience at the back to keep the visitors in the game.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first with Port doing
most of the attacking but failing to open the Haverfordwest defence. Carl
Jones fired low from 18 yards to test Idzi and as the half wore on the
winger, playing his first game for some weeks, threatened the down the left
and gave the experienced Terry Evans a hard time. The visitors were always a
threat on the counter attack and a Dyfan Pierce break and cross to the near
post deserved a better finish by Jack Christopher. Then on the hour mark it
was Ryan Davies to the rescue, as he has done so many times in the past,
rising to meet a Mark Thomas free kick and head cleanly past Idzi giving
Port the lead. With Steve Kehoe prompting from midfield Port looked for a
second while Haverfordwest relied mainly on shots from distance. The second
goal when it came after 76 minutes resulted from a long ball out of defence
and Marc Lloyd Williams got behind the visitors defence outpacing Jarman and
beating the advancing Idzi to score his record breaking goal much to his own
delight and that of the home supporters. The two goal cushion however did
not last long as Woodrow taking advantage of one of the nervy errors that
started to creep into the Port game broke down the right and cut inside to
beat Richard Harvey from 12 yards. Haverfordwest feeling that there was
something in the game for them pushed forward and the home defence creaked
as Woodrow again struck but this time the post saved Port. It was a relief
for supporters and players alike to hear the referee's final whistle knowing
that three valuable points were safe.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Mark Thomas, Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies: Chris
Jones, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts, Richie Owen, Carl Jones (John Rowley 87):
Marc Lloyd Williams. Subs not used: Chris Parry, ben Ogilvy, Cai Jones (y),
Liam Shanahan (y).

Haverfordwest: Idzi, Terry Evans, Briers (Hartley 53), Hanford, Jarman, Neil
Thomas, Kevin Morgan (Luke Bowen 53), Dylan Blain, Woodrow, Christopher,
Dyfan Pierce (Luke Robinson 70). Yellow: Dylan Blain 41', Dyfan Pierce 45',
Lee Jarman 60', Neil Thomas 90'). 

Referee M. A. Jones (Wrexham)		Attendance: 252 

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, April 4th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Port Talbot Town ... 2
Eifion Jones 79		Matthew Thompson 40
			Scott Barrow 86

A late and highly controversial goal gave visiting Port Talbot all three
points. This extended Porthmadog's losing run to five games. Porthmadog
found themselves behind at the interval despite dominating the opening half
and creating several clear scoring opportunities. But with 11 minutes
remaining they fought back to level matters. Scott Barrow's late winner was
scored after the linesman had raised his flag for offside. With the
Porthmadog defenders awaiting a whistle, Barrow raced on unchallenged and
referee Mark Whitby signalled that the goal was to stand. This left Tomi
Morgan fuming and it is highly disappointing that such an important game
should be decided by the contradictory decisions of officials. 
From the start Porthmadog seemed to have got over the blues of last week's
defeat at Stebonheath and with only 4 minutes gone Steve Kehoe was unlucky
to see his well struck 15 yard shot strike the bar with keeper Rogers
beaten. Rogers was again in action saving a Rhys Roberts header but early on
the visitors gave warning that they would be dangerous on the break and Liam
Shanahan had to dive at Thompson's feet to save. Shanahan, in only his
second game in goal for Porthmadog, pulled off a good save diving low to his
left after Martin Rose had turned well in the box. A 23rd minute Mike Foster
corner created panic in the Port Talbot rearguard but there was no one to
apply the finishing touch. Chris Jones on the half hour cut in from the
right but Rogers at full stretch pushed the shot on to the post. A series of
corners for Porthmadog followed and John Rowley shot straight at the keeper
when well placed. The visitors on the break caused problems and a Thompson
effort struck the post. A couple of close range chances then fell to Marc
Lloyd Williams but the prolific striker failed to capitalise. Porthmadog
then paid for their failures in front of goal when Matthew Thompson scored a
fine goal following a Port Talbot break down the left placing his shot wide
of Shanahan from 18 yards. Just before the interval John Rowley got on to
the end of a Chris Jones cross but again failed to seriously trouble Rogers.
Early in the second half a good downward header by Mark Thomas into the path
of John Rowley provided a good shooting chance but the striker's shot went
narrowly past the post. Port continued to create the better chances though
they were not as dominant as in the opening half. John Rowley lifted his
shot over the bar and there were a couple of shooting chances for Richie
Owen. Then with 79 minutes gone Porthmadog got the goal they thoroughly
deserved. Marc Lloyd Williams found Cai Jones on the right of the box and
the subs downward header was rifled into the net from 6 yards by Eifion
Jones. Jones had also been a dominant figure at the heart of the Port
defence throughout. Neither side was however settling for the draw and the
pacy Scott Barrow threatened down the left but his low shot went across the
face of goal. Then with 4 minutes left it was confusion as Barrow raced past
a Porthmadog defence who were awaiting a referee's whistle to confirm the
linesman's raised flag. 
This was a sad way to lose such an important point -a point which was the
very least that the home side deserved. With three games remaining and
Caersws also losing last night the path to safety still remains in their own
hands. They can take from this game the belief that they have the ability to
break this run of defeats -given the luck and the rub with refereeing

Porthmadog: Liam Shanahan, Mark Thomas, Eifion Jones, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Chris Jones, Marcus Orlik (Chris Parry 25'), Steve Kehoe, Richie
Owen: John Rowley (Cai Jones 77') Marc Lloyd Williams.
Subs not used: Ben Ogilvy, Dylan Jones. Yellow: Eifion Jones 68 

Port Talbot: Rogers, De Vulgt, Barrow, Gareth Phillips, Matthew Rees,
Surman, Lee John (S. Payne 74), Thompson, Rose (S. Evans 70), Karl Lewis,
Fahia (G. Bansor 86). Yellow: Gareth Phillips 16, Matthew Rees 26. 

Referee: Matthew Whitby.		Attendance: 193.

Gareth Williams.   

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Sunday, March 29th

Llanelli ... 5 		CPD Porthmadog ..0
Matthew Jones 36'
Andy Legg 56'
Andrew Mumford 72'
Mark Pritchard (p) 88'
Jordan Follows 90'

A fourth straight defeat has plunged Port deep into the relegation battle.
Though a visit to Llanelli was not likely to bring any additional points the
Caersws victory at The Airfield cuts the gap to two points and Caersws also
have a game in hand. 
Though Port were under heavy pressure in the opening half the home side,
despite a heavy aerial bombardment via Andy Legg's enormous throw ins and
Lee Phillips' in-swinging corners, did not take the lead until the 36th
minute and that came from a well struck low 20 yard effort taking advantage
of a partial clearance following a Lee Phillips corner. Up to then the Port
defence had coped reasonably well with Ryan Davies and Eifion Jones doing
sterling work under the high ball. Earlier Llanelli had come close with Lee
Phillips' far post header going narrowly past the post and another header
from Mark Pritchard came close following Corbsiero's accurate far post
cross. Ryan Davies then cleared Pritchard's goal bound shot and just after
the opening goal Rhys Griffiths also headed over from close range. Port
competed well in midfield and also built up well with Steve Kehoe and Marcus
Orlik prominent. But to often the final ball went astray. John Rowley
threatened but could not get a finishing shot. The best opportunity came
when Steve Kehoe put Marc Lloyd Williams through but his shot lacked the
power to trouble Morris in the home goal.
The second Llanelli goal came 10 minutes into the second period and it was
again an individual effort. Andy Legg struck a superb in-swinging free kick
from the touchline on the right which hit the inside of the far post on its
way into the net. As the second half wore on Llanelli's continued pressure
forced the Port defence into errors and the home side were able to
capitalise on these. When Rhys Roberts failed to clear on the edge of the
box after 72 minutes Mumford took advantage to drill a low 18 yard shot past
Dave Vickers' left hand. The home side added a fourth via Mark Pritchard's
penalty kick after Richie Owen had handled in the box. The fifth goal came
in injury time when Jordan Follows got on the end of a ball floated in from
the right to head past Vickers from 8 yards. There were other opportunities
with Mark Pritchard hitting the post and the same player heading over from
close range. Despite the score line Port also had their opportunities in the
second -half. Just after the hour mark Rhys Roberts put Marc Lloyd Williams
through into the box but Legg was across smartly to block the shot. Good
work by Chris Jones down the right created a shooting opportunity when he
cut inside, but the shot was blocked for a corner. The same player volleyed
a long cross field pass by Richie Owen narrowly wide and again he had a
heading chance at the far post from a Marc Lloyd Williams cross. Jones also
turned supplier for what was the closest Port came to score when Steve Kehoe
was unlucky to see his low 18 yard shot strike the foot of the upright. Late
in injury time Port were awarded a penalty after a push in the box but it
summed up Port's day when marc Lloyd Williams spurned the opportunity for
his 300th goal. Morris saved diving to his left and also saved Chris Jones's
attempt from the rebound.

Porthmadog: Dave Vickers, Mark Thomas, Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies, Richie
Owen: Chris Jones, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts, Marcus Orlik, John Rowley (Cai
Jones 83'), Marc Lloyd Williams. 
Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Ben Ogilvy, Liam Shanahan (g). Yellow: Rhys
Roberts 24', John Rowley 55', Richie Owen 87'.

Llanelli: Ashley Morris, Lee Phillips, Andy Legg (Gary Lloyd 76'), Matthew
Jones (Andrew Mumford 61'), Stuart Jones, Rory Smitham, Stephen Evans,
Antonio Corbisiero, Rhys Griffiths (Jordan Follows 58') Chris Holloway, Mark
Pritchard. Subs not used: Nicky Holland, Craig Richards (g).
Yellow: Matthew Jones 54'.

Referee: Brian James.			Attendance: 369.

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, March 21st

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Caernarfon ... 3
M. Ll. Williams 57'		Ashley Ruane 11' 
			Neil Carroll 26'
                                       		Ryan Davies 49'(og)

Nothing can be taken for granted in football and Caernarfon, whom Port had
previously beaten twice this season, gained a shock victory to keep their
survival hopes alive for a little longer at least. The Cofis deserved their
victory as they took the game to Port from the start and were ahead after
only 11 minutes. They then took advantage of a defensive error to double
their lead before half an hour had gone and then four minutes into the
second period virtually sealed the victory when Dawes' free kick was
deflected into the net. Although Port lifted their game in a second half
fight back good performances by Michael Jackson and Ridler at the heart pf
the defence and Guinion in goal ensured that the three points belonged to
Caernarfon were up for the game from the start putting Port under early
pressure with Grice coming close with a header which went over the bar. But
the visitors did not have long to wait for the opening goal thanks to a good
piece of individual skill from Ruane who challenged for a ball on the right
of the box before controlling well and lifting the ball over Dave Vickers
into the net from 15 yards. Having weathered the early pressure Port came
into the game with Chris Jones down the right the main threat and a
dangerous cross by Jones was only cleared at the expense of a corner.
Guinion then pulled off a good save to deny Gareth Parry from 20 yards. But
a defensive misjudgement by Steve Kehoe cost Port dearly when a high ball
out of defence, after 26 minutes, went over his head and allowed Carroll in
to take his chance well to score from 18 yards. Just before half-time Ruane
came close for Caernarfon with a spectacular attempt which flew over the

Caernarfon were on the attack straight from the restart with Dawes
controlling things in midfield for them with his accurate passing. With just
four minutes gone the visitors stretched their lead with a third goal when
the busy Ian Dawes struck a low free kick from 20 yards straight through the
crowded box taking a touch from Port defender Ryan Davies on its way into
the net. Port cut the deficit after 57 minutes giving hope for a fight back.
The goal came when Rhys Roberts headed on Mike Foster's free kick for Marc
Lloyd Williams to head past Guinion for his 299th WPL career goal. Despite
applying most of the pressure from then on Port failed to breach the Cofis
defence again. A Ben Ogilvy free kick gave Marc Lloyd Williams a chance at
the far post but his shot hit the side netting. Steve Kehoe let fly a
powerful 68th minute shot which Guinion saved well diving to his left. A
good cross by Chris Jones found Marc Lloyd Williams at the far post but the
striker just failed to direct his header on target. Cai Jones then created
for Chris Jones but the winger's shot struck the side netting. Twice also
Guinion was forced into excellent saves from powerfully struck free kicks by
Marcus Orlik. But with Port throwing everyone forward Caernarfon could have
got a 4th goal a minute from time when Ruane was clean through but directed
his shot narrowly past the post.
Port slumped to their third consecutive defeat and manager Tomi Morgan on
S4C's 'Sgorio' could hardly conceal his annoyance at the performance saying
that his team faced a tough time in the remaining games and conceded that
Port lost because they were not good enough.

Port (4-4-2): Dave Vickers, Steve Kehoe, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster (Ben Ogilvy 59'): Chris Jones, Gareth Parry(Eifion Jones 59'), Richie
Owen, Marcus Orlik: John Rowley(Cai Jones 80'), Marc Ll. Williams. 
Sub not used: Liam Shanahan. Yellow: Gareth Parry 43', Marc Ll. Williams 79'.

Caernarfon; Guinion, Peter Smith, Andrew Jackson, Ridler, Michael Jackson,
Grice, Carroll (Glendenning 75'), Dawes, Ruane, Dermott, Molyneux.
Subs not used: Steve Johnson, Paul Johnson. , Red: Ian Dawes 85', Yellow:
Tom Grice 26', Ian Dawes 55' Andrew Jackson 72'.

Referee: John Swindley (Gwersyllt)		Attendance: 252

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier     - Tuesday, March 17th

Welshpool ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Rogers 16', 62'		Richie Owen 7'
Jacobs 67'			Ll. Williams 81'

Two goals in the space of five minutes midway through the second half gave
Welshpool the three points in a game which Porthmadog dominated
territorially and also, for long periods of the game, the possession. Steve
Rogers again proved to be the Welshpool match winner with a brace taking his
goal tally to 8 in three games. The mid-Wales turned an early deficit into a
3-1 advantage and then survived a spirited late rally when Marc Lloyd
Williams took his WPL career total up to 298. 

Port got off to the best possible start down the Maesydre slope and soon put
the home defence under pressure. The pressure paid off, after only 7
minutes, when Richie Owen took advantage of a Marcus Orlik cross and cracked
a beauty from 25 yards which ended in the top corner of the net. Welshpool
found it difficult to break the early grip which Port established but with
16 minutes gone failure to defend a long ball from the back and hesitancy
which followed allowed Steve Rogers to nip in and score from close range.
Port threatened down both wings and Danny Jones had to be alert picking
Steve Kehoe's cross off Marc Ll. Williams' head. The same player shot wide
on the turn and Steve Kehoe shot over the bar. But increasingly Port came to
rely more and more on long high balls making life difficult for lone striker
Marc Lloyd Williams and played to the strength of Edwards and Doughty at the
heart of the Welshpool defence. Despite their pressure they failed to create
another clear cut chance. The home team occasionally threatened on the break
and Paul Roberts came close at the near post following Steve Rogers' cross.

At the start of the second period it was Port who again looked more likely
to score. Richie Owen fired wide from 20 yards and Chris Jones' angled shot
from the right had to be cleared off the line. Then just after the hour mark
the home side went ahead for the first time when the ball was played into
the Port box from the right and Steve Rogers reacted first to fire low past
Vickers from 12 yards. Only five minutes later former Port player, Kyle
Jacobs, consolidated the home team's advantage, when he fired a carbon copy
of Richie Owen's earlier crackerjack. Port desperately sought a lifeline and
had Marc Lloyd Williams got a lighter touch to his goalmouth header he might
well have scored. A snapshot by the striker went straight to the keeper but
with the service still consisting of high balls the WPL's main marksman was
dependent on crumbs. The introduction of Cai Jones took some of the pressure
off Jiws and four minutes after coming on the young sub flicked a ball into
the danger zone and Marc Lloyd Williams took full advantage with an angled
header into the net from close range. Though Port piled on the pressure the
home defence held out to secure the points and leave Port looking over their
shoulder at clubs who are now far too close for comfort.

Porthmadog (4-5-1): Dave Vickers, Mark Thomas (Ben Ogilvy 83'), Eifion
Jones, Ryan Davies, Mike Foster, Richard Owen, Chris Jones, Gareth Parry 
(Cai Jones 77'), Steve Kehoe, Marcus Orlik, Marc Lloyd Williams. 
Sub not used: Liam Shanahan. Yellow: Steve Kehoe 77'.

Welshpool: Danny Jones, Windsor, Boardman, Doughty, Timmy Edwards, Keegan,
Jacobs (Powell 84'), Andy Davies, Rogers, Paul Roberts, George Hughes.
Subs not used: Wil Thomas, Andy Mulliner.
Referee: Carmelo LoFaro			Attendance: 135.

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us