CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Y Drenewydd / Newtown (a) | Cei Cona / Connah's Quay (a) | Bari Town / Barry Town (a) |
| Cwmbran Town (h) | Inter CableTel (a) | Caernarfon (h) |
PORTHMADOG..........2     CAERNARFON...........0

	This was bottom of the table clash between two teams, who this time last
year were flying high in the League of Wales. But, if Porthmadog are in
trouble Caernarfon are in dire straits.
	Porthmadog were the best team from the start, pressurizing the Caernarfon
defence from the beginning. But, Caernarfon did make some counter attacks
which resulted in corners. After 4 minutes Kenny Dixon did well to rise
under pressure above the Caernarfon players to collect the ball from one of
these corners.
	One of Porthmadog's best performers was new signing Richard Jones,
creating havoc in the Caernarfon half of the pitch. Pressure also came from
cofi, Neil Roberts of the home team. And, it was Richard Jones which
created Porthmadog's first goal. He was pulled down by a Caernarfon
defender after making a good run. Mike Davies was there to head home the
free kick, taken by Jones after 15 minutes.
	After 20 minutes Richard Jones made some more good work, making a good
pass to Steven Pugh who made a cross Colin Saynor who's shot went wide. But
 Caernarfon still managed some counter attacks, Ben Sweet shot over the bar
after 23 minutes.
	Porthmadog's second came after the ball was crossed into the box for
Richard Jones to score on his return to the Traeth club after 25 minutes.
Porthmadog had one other good chance before the interval, Mike Davies made
a cross after a pass from Steven Pugh, but Colin Saynor's shot went just
past the post. So, a welcome half time lead for Porthmadog, but
Caernarfon's midfeild and defence looked extremely lacking.
	Porthmadog continued to control the match after the restart. Steven Pugh
made a good run after six minutes of the second half, but Nigel Barry's
finishing was disappointing. Caernarfon's number 7 (I didn't get his name)
came close after ten minutes with his shot from the side of the box. Two
minutes later Nigel Barry's finishing was once again disappointing with his
finishing. He had another chance just seconds later but failed to hit the
target again, but this time he came much closer.
	Porthmadog were putting great pressure on Caernarfon during this period in
the middle of the second half, but to no avail. After 20 minutes, Steven
Pugh's strong shot was tapped away by Caernarfon goalie, Stuart Heeps.
	But, half way through the second half, Caernarfon's number 6 had to be
stretched off, and taken by Ambulance to Hospital after knocking his head.
From this point onwards, Porthmadog sat back on their two goal advantage,
and Caernarfon were able to put some serious pressure on the Porthmadog
goal. Stephen Hildich shot inches over the bar, and just before the final
whistle, Paul Tomlinson wasted an opportunity on goal. His effort from the
side of the box hit the corner flag.
	So, Porthmadog got a much needed three points from this game, while
Cernarfon sunk deeper into the mire. Colin Hawkins, the Porthmadog manager
will be very pleased with the performance of Richard Jones, who had a
brilliant game.


NEWTOWN..........4 PORTHMADOG..........0

	After Porthmadog's disastrous start to the season there was little hope
for them against high-flying Newtown. But there was some good news for the
Traeth team,- Nigel Barry who left the club at the end of last season to
join Bangor City had had a change of heart and decided to join them in
front of Cemaes Ynys Mn who were offering him a much higher wage. Also,
Tony Draper the ex-Caernarfon defender had joined them.
	After a lively start, with little goal-mouth incident Steven Pugh had one
of Porthmadog's first decent breaks but was judged off-side after 10
minutes. Seconds later, Justin Wickham's week shot was easily saved by
Kenny Dixon in the Porthmadog goal. This was followed by Jonathan Williams'
long range shot which went inches wide. Another chance came for Newtown
after quarter of an hour Justin Wickhams header from close range was saved
by Kenny Dixon, but this came after an offense in the box.
	This game was marred by the appalling refereeing of I. D. Williams of
Pontypool, one of his first questionable decisions was a yellow card to
both Jonathan Williams of Newtown, and Porthmadog's Andy Taylor for no
apparent reason. 
	A chance came to Porthmadog when defender Colin Saynor struck from a
Porthmadog Corner. There were no questioning the penalty that was awarded
to Newtown after pushing and kicking in the box by Porthmadog newcomer Tony
Draper. But the yellow carding of John Aspinall after this incident must be
questioned. The resulting penalty was converted by Colin Raynolds after 32
	But, Porthmadog's heads did not go down after this goal, two minutes later
Steven Pugh made a good cross after a good run, but the cross was too far
for Mike Davies. Minutes later a good chance came to Newtown a cross by
Mark Thomas was met by Aneurin Thomas and Kenny Dixon did well to save from
his shot.
	After 37 minutes one of the strangest decisions of the match was made by
the referee, when a yellow card was given to Mark Thomas for an ordinary
tackle on one of the Porthmadog players.
	Steven Pugh made another good cross after a pass from the left wing by
Nigel Barry, but Mark Thomas was there to clear the ball before Mike Davies
could reach it. So Porthmadog went in on half time one goal behind after a
half which was affected by the standard of refereeing.
	There was an improvement in Porthmadog's play at the start of the second
half, but this was short-lived. Kevin Morrison doubled Newtown's lead after
only 4 minutes. The possession from this point onward was mostly Newtown's.
After 14 minutes, Jonathan Williams found himself clear and Kenny Dixon had
to make a brave save from Williams' feet to stop Netown from adding to
their total.
	One of Porthmadog's most influential players during the second half was
Neil Roberts who came on for Andy Taylor who limped off. Neil Roberts made
a good shot after 21 minutes shortly after coming on. This was followed two
minutes later by another chance from Newtown by Jonathan Williams, Kenny
Dixon just managed to get his finger tips to the ball to inch it over the
	Porthmadog's best chance came after 27 minutes when Mike Davies' cross was
met by Steven Pugh who made an overhead kick that hit the bar. This was
followed by a shot that went over the bar by Newtown's Justin Wickham. But,
minutes later Newtown's two became three after Jason Yates' strong downward
header left Kenny Dixon with no chance.
	But, once again the second half was spoiled by the referee, John Aspinall
was sent off after a second bookable offense after 34 minutes. Just like
his first booking the reason was unclear. This was followed by the sending
off of a Newtown player (I didn't notice who, which shows the pettiness of
the decision)
	A mistake by Porthmadog newcomer Tony Draper led to Newtown's fourth goal
which was scored by Mark Roberts who made a run down the left wing. Tony
Draper was then sent off for a second bookable offense for a tackle which
could have been judged a foul, but there was no way that it was a sending
off offense.
	On the final whistle the final chance of the match came to Kevin Morrison,
a good save was once again required by Kenny Dixon who had a good match.
The standard of the refereeing in this match was of the lowest I have ever
seen. In all, there were 12 bookings with three of the players being sent
off. At the end of the match, supporters of both teams joined in their
criticism of the ref. Colin Hawkins said "That was the worst display of 
refereeing I've ever seen". The good news was that the match was played in
front of an assessor of the referee, and I don't think he'll be very happy
with the performance.


CONNAH'S QUAY NOMADS............4	PORTHMADOG............1

	Porthmadog seem to have an up-hill struggle in front of them for the rest
of this season. But today, an up hill and down hill challenge faced them in
the cup at the sloped Halfway ground in Connah's Quay. 
	Playing up the slope didn't seem to pose Porthmadog to much of a problem
for the opening minutes. And, after 7 minutes the opened the scoring, Mike
Davies made the hard work before un-selfishly passing to Steven Pugh who
coolly converted from close-range to give Porthmadog the early lead. But,
this lead was very short-lived, it was only a matter of seconds after the
re-start when Carl Smyth hedded home from close range.
	The play at this stage was equally shared between both teams, after 10
minutes Pugh was pulled down, and a free kick was given to Porthmadog.
Colin Saynor, afterwards came close with his free kick that went inches
wide of the bar. Connah's Quay also had their share of chances during this
period in the middle of the half.
	After 20 minutes Connah's Quay added to their lead, Neil Davies' shot from
outside the box was enough to beat Kenny Dixon in the Porthmadog goal.
Porthmadog attacked straight away from the re-start. Jason Joyce surged
into the Connah's Quay area but to no avail.
	It was weak defending that lead to Connah's Quay's third goal, Jamie
Hughes was allowed to much space in the Porthmadog box and he shot home
from close-range. One minute later, Porthmadog were on the counter-attack,
but Steven Pugh shot over the bar after a free kick from Neil Roberts.
	After 42 minutes minutes, Porthmadog were very lucky to remain only three
goals behind. Kenny Dixon managed to get his hand to the ball after a shot
from Neil Davies, the shot went inches over the bar. So, Connah's Quay were
firmly in the lead at the interval after an early lead against the slope
from Porthmadog.
	The second half was a completely different affair, Porthmadog slumped to
yet another hugely disappointing performance. It only took one minute for
Connah's Quay to add to their lead. Neil Davies crowning his run through
the Porthmadog defence with a good finish, leaving Kenny Dixon in goal with
no chance. Connah's Quay were firmly in control at this stage, and came
close on several occasions.
	But after 11 minutes, Porthmadog came close, Steven Pugh strong Free
Kick went wide. Steven Pugh should have scored, one minute later after he
found himself clear in the box needing only to get the ball passed Phill
Collister, but his poor shot once again went wide. Chris Banks was pulled
down in the box after 16 minutes, while preparing to shoot, but Gwilym
Lewis decided not to give a penalty.
	One of Connah's Quay's most influential players, especially in the second
half, was Neil Davies who posed serious danger to the Porthmadog defence.
After 25 minutes he shot over the bar, and only seconds later his shot went
off the bar. he later came close after 40 minutes.
	Porthmadog did have a few other chances, Olly hall one of their best
performers, Phill Collister just managing to get his finger-tips to the
ball after Olly's cross come shot. Minutes later, on the half-hour, he
created a chance for Stephen Pugh after a good cross. Another chance for
Porthmadog came from John Aspinall, back after a period out after injury,
his long-range shot went just Wide.
	Right on the whistle for full time, Neil Davies came close once again, he
should have done better when his powerful shot shook the bar. After their
performance in the second half Connah's Quay were very unlucky not to add
more goals to their total at the interval.
	So another disappointment in a season full of disappointments for
Porthmadog, but at least now they can put all their effort one
competition. They must be disappointment after the good opening minutes
they had in the match, and the early goal. The only (printable) word Colin
Hawkins could use to describe the performance was "terrible".
	I must make a complaint about the appalling standard of the refereeing by
Gwilym Lewis of Caersws,- he demanded that I took my Porthmadog shirt off,
as he said that it destracted his assistant on the other side of the pitch,
and that, I Believe, was the most out of order decision of the season.


BARRY TOWN.....................3

	After a night of heavy rain in Barry, the Jenner Park pitch was very wet,
and there were patches of the pitch where the ball couldn't run at all.
This meant that the game started at a slower pace, that let Porthmadog
compete quite well with the home team for the opening half hour or so.
	Indeed, the first good chance of the game fell to the visitors after ten
minutes, but Steven Pugh's shot from around 25 yards went wide after a run
from his own half. We had to wait until 22 minutes until Barry had their
first real chance of the match. Phill Saddler, in the Porthmadog goal,
managed to get his hand to the ball after a shot from Phill Johnson.
Porthmadog again came close after 27 minutes but Neil Roberts shot was far
too high
	After 32 minutes Danny Carter had to be stretchered off after a challenge
from Jason Joyce. Gareth Knott was brought on in his place, and only three
minutes later his strong shot from outside the box went wide.
	Just when Porthmadog were thinking of going off at half time on level
terms, with two minutes of time added on for injuries played, Eifion
Williams broke clear of the Porthmadog defence to score Barry's opening
goal, leaving Phill Saddler with no chance of saving. So, Porthmadog went
in at half time disappointed that they didn't manage to hold on to the
	Barry Town started the second half in control, Terry Evans coming close
with a header after only 3 minutes. After 7 minutes, Craig Evans should
have done better after he had made a good run, but his shot went completely
	Porthmadog came close minutes later, but Terry Saynor's shot went inches
over the bar form outside the area. Barry were shortly awarded a penalty,
but Porthmadog were very unlucky to be penalized. The bringing down of a
Barry player in front of Jason Joyce was more due to the weather conditions
than Joyce's challenge. So, it can be said that justice was done when Phill
Saddler saved the penalty taken by Darren Ryan. But, Barry's second goal
came seconds later, after 12 minutes, Terry Evans managed to jump higher
than Porthmadog's Mike Foster to head home.
	After quarter of an hour of the second half, Barry went further ahead.
Darren Ryan making amends for his earlier miss from the spot, with a diving
header from close range after Eifion Williams had headed it down across
goal. During the next quarter of an hour Barry put further pressure on
Porthmadog, with Gareth Knott hitting two long range shots just over the
bar for the home team.
	Shortly after the half-hour Chris Banks tried a long range shot for the
visitors, and minutes later he came close with a header from close range in
which he should have done better after an inch-perfect cross from Mike
Foster. This header came after a good shot from substitute Gwion Roberts.
	So, Porthmadog after a better performance in the first half may be
disappointed with the scoreline. But, will be very happy with the
performance of Terry Saynor playing his second match for the club, he
defended well, and made a couple of good passes. Barry..........well, can
anyone in the league, or the Invitation Cup for that matter, compete with



	Edi Bins, who was once banned from Porthmadog home matches after an ugly
incident at a match against Ebbw Vale, was once again present at today's
match. He once again needed restraining at the end of the match. The crowd
were treated to his customary shouts of "chickens" and "babis", and his new
call of "you dirty devil"! But as things went against Port his anger was
turned against the Cwmbran players. At the end of the match he was taunted
-"your going down" by one of the Cwmbran players which lead to Edi's volley
of verbal abuse!
	Cwmbran started the match confidently, but failed to convert their
possession into chances and shots on goal. Their first real chance on goal
came after 8 minutes of the game, but this didn't pose much of a problem on
the Porthmadog Goal. Cwmbran's domination continued for the first quarter
of an hour but they had trouble in getting the ball passed the Porthmadog
	Jason Joyce was one of Porthmadog's most influential players, and it was
him that created most of the problems for the Cwmbran defence in the first
half. After 16 minutes he headed wide, three minutes later he created a
half break for Steven Pugh who was fouled outside the box by Adam Moore who
collected a yellow card, Porthmadog's free-kick after this went wide. This
incident was a bit of a turning point in the game,- Porthmadog came much
more into the match after this point.
	But after 21 minutes, Cwmbran had another chance, but Adam Moore's shot
went wide from long range. Minutes later, Richard Barnes' error in the
Porthmadog defence resulted in a curled shot by Chris Watkins which went
inches wide of the Porthmadog goal.
	Just before the half hour,  Jason Joyce made a great run on goal from his
own half forcing his way through the Cwmbran defence. But his shot from
this move was disappointing, giving Pat O'Hagan, in the Cwmbran goal, no
problem. Shortly afterwards Jason Joyce was yellow carded, controversially
after a late "challenge".
	Joyce was in the thick of the action after 40 minutes, when he made a good
cross in the Cwmbran box, but no one was able to take advantage of it. This
failure resulted in a break for the visitors. Simon Dyer's shot was fumbled
by Kenny Dixon, who did well to save on the rebound shot.
	Porthmadog should have taken the lead at the stroke of half time, Richard
Barnes' strong shot from inside the area hit the base of the post. This
came after a good run and shot from Steven Pugh.
	The second was all Cwmbran, (and the less said about that the better!). In
the first minute Terry Saynor had to make a great tackle to deny Mattie
Davies. Terry Saynor, brother of Porthmadog stalwart Colin made a good
impression in his debut for the club, the only problem was the similarity
with his brother, which created confusion for me. After 6 minutes, Cwmbran
came very close, a great save from Kenny Dixon kept Port in the game after
a shot from Mattie Davies once again. There were numerous chances for
Cwmbran in this period of immense pressure, but their finishing was
	Neil Roberts had one of Porthmadog's few chances when he counter attacked
after 10 minutes, but the lack of up-field support resulted in Neil finding
himself stranded, no free-kick was given when he was pulled down on the
edge of the Cwmbran area.
	Kenny Dixon was Porthmadog's most important players for Porthmadog keeping
his team in the game on numerous occasions. After 18 minutes of the half he
had to make a double save to deny Simon Dyer from close range.
	On the half hour, after even more sustained pressure from Cwmbran, Steven
Pugh headed over his own bar to keep Porthmadog in the game. But, all this
pressure had to pay off in the end, and Cwmbran took the lead after 38
minutes, Wayne Goodridge heading home to give Cwmbran the three points.
Porthmadog could have scraped a draw but last gasp header  from Colin
Saynor was well saved by Pat O'Hagan.
	Porthmadog could and should have gained a draw, after holding Cwmbran for
so long. It will now be a very hard struggle, especially as fellow
strugglers, Rhayader managed to collect the three points today.

K. Dixon, C. Saynor, T. Saynor, R. Hughes, M. Foster, R. Barnes, J. Joyce,
C. Banks,
N. Roberts [G. Roberts], S. Pugh, M. Davies.
Subs not used: O. Hall, T. Merola.


	Porthmadog have had a bad start to the season, and had a difficult trip
down to the capital city today. And, things didn't start well for the club,
as the team bus took the wrong turning on the way down to the ground and
ended going through Ely Estate in Cardiff. They finally arrived at the
Cardiff Athletic Stadium half an hour later than planned at 2:00,- only
half an hour before the game.
	Inter CableTel were the best team from the start, and put great pressure
on the Porthmadog goal, but there was no notable chance for Inter. Their
first real chance came after 10 minutes, when Steve Mardenborough hit the
ball across the line, but the Assistant Referee's flag was already up for
off-side, and the goal was disallowed. Mardenborough, was given another
chance three minutes later after a Porthmadog defencive error.
	Another good chance came Inter's way after 17 minutes of the first half,
Neil Davies' strong shot from around twenty yards hitting the crossbar
after Phill Sadler in the Porthmadog goal got his hand to it. Minutes
later, from a resulting corner, John Wile heded the ball onto the bar, and
the ball was collected off the line by Saddler. John Wile had another
chance after 25 minutes, which was easily saved.
	Inter's first goal came after 40 minutes when Andy Richard scored. The
goal was allowed after some confusion, at first it seemed that the ball had
been prevented from going in by the hand of Mike Foster - which would have
meant a sending off. But the Referee then decided that the ball had crossed
the line before any contact with Foster, and showed Foster the yellow card.
	Porthmadog only entered the Inter half a couple of times through the First
half. But, they did manage to get an equalizer after 42 minutes, when Chris
banks powered the ball from outside the box for a brilliant goal after a
pass by Andy Taylor. So the teams went in at half time on equal terms, and
Porthmadog must have counted themselves lucky to be still in the game.
	Inter's first chance of the second half came after only one minute after
the interval, John Wile's free kick was saved by Phill Saddler. And Inter
exerted the pressure on Porthmadog for the first ten minutes of the second
half, before the North Walians came more into the game.
	Porthmadog's first real chance of the second half came to Aled Owen after
12 minutes, when his long range shot went over the bar after some good work
from Chris Banks in the mid-field. But, two minutes later Porthmadog were
very lucky to be on level terms, Phill Sadler having to make a good save
after Richard David headed from a corner. From this point onwards
Porthmadog put some good pressure on the home side to no avail.
	Inter's second came after some errors in the Porthmadog defence. Andy
Taylor made a mistake after 27 minutes to give a corner away. And, after a
goal-mouth scramble John Wile scored from close range to give Inter the
	After 33 minutes a good passing movement involving Neil Roberts, Jason
Joyce and Colin Saynor nearly resulted in a goal for Steven Pugh who shot
over the bar. A minute later Inter CableTel came close, Dai Withers shot
was cleared off the line.
	Inter will be happy with the win, but on the same time will be
disappointed that they once again only managed a narrow win against a team
in the lower part of the League of Wales. Porthmadog, on the other hand,
will be happy with the way they came back into the game, but disappointed
that they gave away a good point.



Cysylltwch ni / Contact us