CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Llanidloes (NMG) | Holywell (a) | Caernarfon (NMG) (a) | Chirk AAA (h) | Airbus (a) | Guilsfield (h) | Buckley (a) | Ruthin (h) | Gresford (a) | Glantraeth (WC) (h) | T.N.S (NMG) (a) | Llandudno (a) | Denbigh (h) | Denbigh (a) | Chirk AAA (a) | Prestatyn (h) | Ruthin (a) | Flint (h)

21/10/2023 Cymru North League Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.30pm)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor: BWYDYDD OREN / OREN FOODS
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:SAM EVANS & STEFFAN WILLIAMS

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................1
Anthony Stephens o.g.34'

FFLINT TOWN UNITED .............................3
Rhys Kavanagh 7', 90' + 2' (cywiriad / correction)
Joshua Jones 60'

Flint were just a little too strong for Porthmadog on a cold afternoon at Y Traeth. Our third-placed visitors just about deserved the victory but the two goal margin rather flattered them.

Flint took the lead after only eight minutes when a pass was played with pace into the Port box where Rhys Kavanagh turned and smartly flicked the ball high into the net beyond the diving Alex Ward-Jones. A few minutes later, they were prevented from doubling their lead by a goal-line clearance by Morgan Owen.

Port soon settled thereafter. Indeed, for the remainder of the half, they played very well indeed and produced several scoring chances. The busy Danny Brookwell went on an impressive solo run and it needed a quality save by Rhys Williams to prevent what would have been an excellent equalizer. On 20 minutes, Brookwell ran at the defence again but Williams dived to his right once more to smother a less potent shot this time. Shortly after, Morgan Owen`s left foot drive from distance went narrowly over the target.

Some ten minutes short of the break, Port at last gained a thoroughly deserved equalizer. A Shaun Cavanagh free kick from the right was headed on by Telor Williams and Flint defender Anthony Stephens` back pass was sent wide of his own keeper to bring the game level at one apiece.

Port continued to play attractive and patient football and Telor Williams` audacious chip nestled on the roof of the net with the keeper beaten. Just before the break, Port set up another great move involving Cai Jones and Shaun Cavanagh but Brookwell`s left footed effort was diverted for a corner. A minute shy of the interval, however, it was heart in mouth moment for Port fans as a Flint attacker was clean through only to shoot narrowly wide. At the end of an entertaining first period, scores were level at one-all.

The second half was a rather less attractive affair than the first as both teams resorted to a rather more direct approach with perhaps a rather excessive use of long balls.

The half was just a minute old when Flint keeper Rhys Williams produced another top drawer save as he parried a strong shot to his left by Shaun Cavanagh.

On the hour mark, Flint regained the lead with a very well-taken goal. A strong run followed by a pin-point cross by Ben Hughes was volleyed home first time by Joshua Jones.

Port kept on trying to breach a disciplined Flint defence whilst the visitors were often dangerous on the break. Then, a minute into added on time, Flint extended their lead, thus putting the game to bed. A pass into the box was lobbed high over Alex in the Port goal and the ball was eventually bundled home by Joshua Jones. And so, it ended 1-3 in the visitors` favour and Flint remain unbeaten after ten games.

Heartiest congratulations are in order for our 18 year old goalkeeper Alex Ward-Jones who wins the player of the month award for October and fulsome compliments also go to centre-back Gruff Ellis for the previous month`s award. Llongyfarchiadau mawr i`r ddau ohonoch a daliwch ati.

Next Saturday we welcome Cardiff Airport for the first time to Y Traeth in a Welsh Cup encounter. The Airport play in Tier 4 but are clearly no mugs as they disposed of Tier 2 side Abergavenny Town in the previous round. Here`s hoping the dreaded banana skin has a proper off-day!

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (Gk), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks, Gruff Ellis (Iddon Price 68`), Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney (Rhys Alun 68`), Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell, Telor Williams. Unused subs :- Meilir Ellis (GK), Stuart Rogers, Aaron Jones, Zac Pike, Craig Papyrnik. Yellow cards :- Danny Brookwell (75`), Telor Williams ( 90 +3`)

Flint Town United :- Rhys Williams (GK), Luis Lacey, Joseph Williams, Anthony Stephens, Solomon Forde, Daniel Harrison (P. Lacey 53`), Ben Hughes, Jake Philips, Rhys Kavanagh, Elliot Reeves, Joshua Jones. Unused subs :- Niall Collings, Harley Brindley Peagram, Morgan Roberts, George Maire, Ashton Mather, Harry Cartwright. Yellow card :- Anthony Stephens (87`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Aled Rhys Williams Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Nathan John Wheatley, Andrew Christopher Dogan
Torf / Attendance :- 239

Treflyn Jones

27/11/2023: J.D.Cymru North: Venue Memorial Fields Ruthin (k.o. 7.30pm)

RUTHIN TOWN ............................1
Soulayman el Amri 42'

CPD PORTHMADOG ................... 1
Cai Jones 90'+3'

‘A game of two halves’ is probably the most over-used term in football, but tonight on a moonlit October evening in the Vale of Clwyd, this was certainly a case in point. Ruthin absolutely dominated the first half. Then, much to the relief of the visiting fans, Port improved immeasurably after the restart, thus setting up a thrilling climax to a keenly contested match.

Port played well enough during the opening five minutes during which Rhys Alun`s close range shot went straight into keeper Goldston`s arms and a sharp cross by Cai Jones was well caught. Thereafter, it was virtually all Ruthin. They were first to everything and comfortably snuffed out the few Port forays into their half. Indeed it took all of thirty five minutes for the visitors to gain their first corner kick from which Shaun Cavanagh miskicked a fairly presentable shooting chance. Ruthin, on the other hand, forced several corners and looked very quick and dangerous down both flanks. Port`s keeper Alex Ward-Jones produced a smart save low to his left and did very well to smother another chance on his goal-line shortly afterwards as pressure mounted on the visitors` defence.

Just before the break, the hosts went deservedly in front when a low cross by Sam Jones was confidently steered home by Soulayman el Amri giving Ward-Jones no chance.

During added on time, Port perked up considerably and seemed to have settled into their normal passing game. Was this a sign of things to come?

The answer to the above is a resounding “yes”. With the excellent and tireless Morgan Owen making the switch to midfield, it was now Port`s chance to release the handbrake and this they certainly did. It needed a stop on the line to prevent an equalizer by Shaun Cavanagh and on the hour mark, a great left-footed first time shot by Rhys Alun brought out the best in Goldston as he diverted it over the bar, this following great work by Cavanagh and Mahoney.

Ruthin, however, with their blistering pace down the flanks, continued to look very dangerous on the counter and on three occasions Alex in the Port goal was forced into brilliant last-ditch saves, most notably as Gwion Owen and Keyni Mills were sent clear on goal. Doubtless Alex`s faultless performance tonight will give him much confidence going forward.

Thus, for the final fifteen minutes or so a clear pattern of attack (by Port) and counter-attack (by Ruthin) was established. A Josh Banks header went narrowly wide before Gwion Owen at the other end shot over the bar after skillfully evading two defenders. All this before another fine save by Alex.

Ruthin supporters expressed concern in the closing minutes as Port mounted further attacks but some of us jokingly re-assured them :- “Peidiwch a phoeni…….dydan ni byth bron yn sgorio yn y munudau olaf! / Don`t worry…..we hardly ever score during the closing minutes!”

Well, the aforementioned Ruthin fans had barely ended their sigh of relief when Port equalized with a glorious team goal. Morgan Owen went on a typically tenacious run evading three hard-tackling defenders before passing to Shaun Cavanagh whose careful touch put Cai Jones clean through . He wasn`t going to miss this time as he blasted the ball past the helpless Goldston. A deserved equalizer and both teams continued to attack frantically.

There were no further goals, however, and Port had achieved a welcome and commendable point against a very good Ruthin town outfit and the vistors move up into 8th place in the league.

It was great to visit such a welcoming club.We were warmly welcomed,in Welsh, at the entrance to the ground, and so, it was somewhat disappointing to receive all announcements in English only on the loudspeaker in a town which abounds with Welsh speakers compared to most other towns in the North-East of Wales. I shall probably be chastised in certain quarters for mentioning this, but if such things are unsaid, nothing will change. Ta waeth, diolch eto am yr hiwmor a`r croeso.

Next Saturday, we welcome third-placed Fflint to Y Traeth for another league encounter (k.o. 2;30). C`mon, Port!

Ruthin Town :- Daniel Goldston (gk), Tom Dyer (Gwion Owen 69`), Tyrese Caines, Vita Mbolokele, Jason Clark, Osian Davies, Soulayman el Amri (Keynis Yannis Antonio Mills 69`), Ethan Davies, Llyr Morris, Jake Hughes Hampson, Sam Jones. Unused subs :- H. Edmunds, L. Holmans, G. Williams, Tom Griffiths, S. Kell. Yellow card:- Ethan Davies ( 90+1`)

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks, Nathan Williams (Telor Williams 41`), Gruff Ellis (Ryan Williams 76`), Tom Mahoney, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones (capt.), Danny Brookwell, Rhys Alun ( Elis Puw 76`), Stuart Rogers ( Caio Evans 45`).
Unused subs :- Meilir Ellis (GK), Zak Pike. Yellow card :- Josh Banks (11`), Gruff Ellis (60`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- John Andrew Jones Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Ryan Mark Hughes, Harvey Williams
Torf / Attendance :- 181

Treflyn Jones

21/10/2023 Cymru North League Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.30pm)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor: GARY FALCONER ELECTRICALS
Noddwr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors: TENDAI MUDAVANHU

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................3
Rhys Alun 22'
Shaun Cavanagh 46'
Danny Brookwell 85'

PRESTATYN TOWN .................................1
Ben Jones 3'

On the day of the passing of Manchester United and England legend Bobby Charlton, Porthmadog chalked up their fourth win of the season……..a result that brings them up to ninth place in the J.D.Cymru League. It was also a day of several postponements in said league, courtesy of Storm Babet and it is to the club`s credit that Y Traeth was in such fine condition today.

Port almost had their noses in front in the opening minute when two chances in quick succession fell to Danny Brookwell and Rhys Alun respectively. However, barely a minute later, thanks to a woefully misplaced pass on the edge of the home box, the visitors took the lead as Ben Jones calmly rounded Alex Ward-Jones before tapping into the empty net.

Port were not too down-hearted as they endeavoured as ever to play good, constructive football and Tom Mahoney shot just over the target at the end of an intricate move prompted by Danny Brookwell. Another half-chance fell to Morgan Owen as he brilliantly dispossessed a defender on the right flank before keeper Mike Jones saved with his right boot and Rhys Alun then shot narrowly wide as he cut in from the right wing.

On 23 minutes, however, Port achieved a deserved equalizer and a very fine goal it was too. Tom Mahoney went on a strong run down the left flank and his pinpoint low cross into the box was confidently converted by Rhys Alun as he shot wide of Mike Jones` right hand to make it one-apiece.

Both teams then came close before the interval. Cai Jones was unlucky as his strong shot on the turn brought out the very best in keeper Mike Jones and then it was Alex`s turn to breathe a sigh of relief at the other end as a Prestatyn attacker blazed wide from close range. The one-one scoreline at the end of the half was fair enough overall.

Well, well, well, would you believe it? Port scored almost immediately after the re-start to take the lead for the first time in the match. Brookwell received the ball on the right of the box, drifted past two defenders before finding Shaun Cavanagh who shot superbly into the roof of the net. 2-1 to Port.

The game then became an energetic end to end affair as Preststyn fought tooth and nail in a vain search for an equalizer. Prestatyn were convinced that they had equalized a few minutes later when an attacker latched on to an excellent defence splitting pass but the ‘goal’ was ruled out for off- side and then the visitors shot wide from close range.

There then followed an excellent half volley from twenty yards by Port`s Morgan Owen which went straight into the grateful arms of the keeper before Prestatyn came desperately close to an equalizer as they were foiled by a fine block on the line by Alex in the Port goal and the home custodian then did very well to narrow the angle as a visiting striker bore down on goal. He drifted just about past Alex but the angle by then was too narrow and the shot went into the side-netting.

Port nerves were finally settled five minutes before the end of the ninety. After excellent work by Morgan Jones down the left flank, some patient holdup-play by Danny Brookwell yielded a chance for the hard-working Anglesey striker which he gleefully took as he tapped into the goal with the keeper out of the picture. 3-1… and some breathing space for the hosts. There were a few further anxious moments for the Port faithful to endure bur the defence held firm and the three points were safe.

I shall end with a point of discussion. According to the excellent Cymru Football app, not a single one of Prestatyn`s 16 man squad is from Wales . In fact, if the app is entirely accurate, it appears that all players in the starting line-up are from England. Whereas it is commom knowledge that Port and Blaenau were guilty of such selections during the 1970`s, you just have to question the wisdom of all this within the context of a Welsh league. Surely, a few lads from the North Wales coast could do an adequate job for the Seasiders, thereby attempting to foster local talent.

This coming Friday night, Port will travel to Rhuthun for another league encounter with a 7:45 kick-off. Not ideal but I`m sure we`ll see a good few Port supporters there.

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis, Tom Mahoney, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones (Zak Pike 90+6`), Danny Brookwell, Telor Williams (Elis Puw 87`), Rhys Alun ( Josh Banks 66`), Stuart Rogers (Gareth Jones-Evans 87`)
Unused subs :- Mabon Ilan Owen, Dion Rhys Williams , Meilir Ellis (GK)
Yellow card :- Nathan Williams (67`)

Prestatyn Town :- Mike Jones (GK), Joseph White ( J. Rimmer 86`), Mike Burke, Robert Murphy (capt.), Matthew Scoullar, N/A, Tyler Magee (E. Lawal 59`), Macauley Clifton, Ben Jones ( K. Parle 73`), Karl Clair, Daniel Atkins
Yellow cards :- Macauley Clifton (27`), Karl Clair (90+7`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Karl Berry Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Steven Roberts, David Griffiths
Torf / Attendance :- 231

Treflyn Jones

14/10/2023: Cwpan JD Cymru / J.D.Welsh Cup Rd 2 Venue: Holyhead Road (k.o. 2.00pm)

CHIRK AAA ................................1
Spencer Parrish 16'

CPD PORTHMADOG ................... 1
Nathan Williams 80'

Penalty Shoot-out: CHIRK AAA 3-5 CPD PORTHMADOG
Scorers: Shaun Cavanagh, Morgan Owen Stuart Rogers, Cai Jones, Tom Mahoney.

At the end of a tense and sometimes frustrating match, Port ultimately edged out a hard-working Chirk side courtesy of a quintet of immaculately executed penalty kicks to the relief and delight of the travelling faithful.

Before all that, the visitors put their supporters through the usual mill of anguish and worry.

Port were immediately on the front foot and the brilliant Danny Brookwell was unlucky on three occasions during the opening twelve minutes. The first of these saw him weaving past four defenders before his left foot shot whizzed past the far post. The second was when another seemingly goal-bound drive was blocked before testing Farebrother between the sticks. Then, he came even closer when he was sent clean through only for the keeper to save with his legs.

Guess what happened next? That`s right! Chirk opened the scoring with their first real attempt on target . Oh, dear! Telor Williams lost out in a fifty-fifty challenge on the edge of the box. The ball was squared to Spencer Parrish who sent an impressive low drive past Alex Ward-Jones in the Port goal and, somewhat against the run of play, Chirk were ahead.

The goal gave the hosts much heart and another chance before the interval came very close. A let-off!

Chirk started the second period rather well, and Alex in the Port goal did very well to thwart a clear run on goal as he dived successfully at the onrushing forward`s feet. Port then came close when Rhys Alun shot into the side netting when seemingly well-placed. The home team then came agonizingly close when an attacker shot narrowly wide from close range with only the keeper to beat after a lucky ricochet off Josh Banks. With 15 minutes to go, Tom Mahoney let fly with a fine effort from distance but it was straight at the keeper.

Finally, after a string of patient attacks, Port gained a deserved equalizer when a bullet header by Nathan Williams from a Shaun Cavanagh corner-kick found the corner of the net. All square at one apiece.

The last ten minutes were tense indeed as Port continued to press and Chirk looked dangerous on the counter. Indeed, in the final seconds the hosts` Rhys Edwards was sent through on goal but was finally thwarted by a last ditch tackle and the final whistle brought us to those dreaded penalties.

Here is a run down of the penalty competition :-
Shaun Cavanagh scores by sending the keeper the wrong way.-- 1-0 Port.
Rhys Edwards for Chirk sees his low right footer well-saved by Alex. Still --1-0 Port.
Morgan Owen scores confidently for Port --2-0 Port.
Matty Owen reduces the arrears for Chirk --2-1 Port.
Stuart Rogers blasts home --3-1 Port.
Louie Middlehurst scores for the hosts --3-2 Port.
Cai Jones ….no messing! --4-2 Port.
J. Evans nets for never say die Chirk --4-3 Port.
Tom Mahoney`s left foot puts the game beyond Chirk --5-3 Port. (final score)
Or….. if you are fussy……………………………………………………6-4 Port !!!

Overall, Port`s victory was deserved. Let`s hope that we at least avoid T.N.S.in the next round!

Next Saturday, we welcome Prestatyn Town to Y Traeth in a league encounter (k.0.:-2:30)

Y Waun/ Chirk A.A.A. :- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jack Edwards, Spencer Parrish, Regan Jones, Matty Williams, Tristan Lloyd, Steffan Rogers, Ryan Davies, Louie Middlehurst, Joshua Evans, Iwan Hardy ( Rhys Edwards 74`) Yellow cards:- Louie Middlehurst (18`), Iwan Hardy (45+2`), Tristan Lloyd (52`) Unused subs :- J. Philips, Ashton Williams, Ryan Chrlton Wilcox, Charles Parkinson.

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks (Zac Pike 90+3`), Nathan Williams, Caio Evans (Elis Puw 90`), Ryan Williams ( Gruff Ellis 30`), Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell, Telor Williams ( Tom Mahoney 68`), Rhys Alun (Stuart Rogers 68`).

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Sion Peter Davies Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :-Ryan Mark Hughes, James Walker
Torf / Attendance :- Not given but a generous estimate would be around 70

Treflyn Jones

07/10/2023: J.D.Cymru North: Venue Parc Alyn Y Wyddgrug / Mold (k.o. 2.30pm)

MOLD ALEX .............................5
Danny Warren 10', 53'
Jake Roberts' 45'+3''
Steve Watkins 63'
Eric Durnell 90'+2'

CPD PORTHMADOG ................... 1
Danny Brookwell 42'

Let me put this politely. Yes, this really was a game of two halves. Port played very well indeed during the first period to the extent that Mold`s 2-1 lead at the break was as undeserved as it was seemingly incorrect (!!!)…but that`s another story! In the second half, however, our performance at times was perilously close to being rather (erm)…..unsatisfactory, shall we say.

Port started very brightly and went close after two minutes when a header by Cai Jones went narrowly over the bar and two minutes later, the determined Danny Brookwell had a strong left foot shot just inside the box charged down by a posse of defenders. Port were playing really well at this juncture. Do you see where this is going?

On ten minutes, however, for all our quality and seeming dominance, Mold took the lead. The hosts took a deep, deep long throw from the right which Port failed to deal with and after a dose of pinball, the ball was eventually tapped home by that goal machine Danny Warren. In truth, this was a bad, bad goal to give away and we have seen too many of these already this season.

All was not lost! Port continued to play good-looking football as we so often do. After Mold were thwarted by a goal-line clearance by Josh Banks, Port came desperately close to an equalizer when, after an excellent run and low cross by Mahoney, Alex Swindell in the Mold goal saved with his trailing leg after being sent the wrong way by Telor Williams. Port were then awarded a penalty when the excellent Danny Brookwell was clearly bundled over in the box. Up stepped Morgan Jones to take the spot kick but the keeper read it perfectly and saved it low to his right.

On 41 minutes, Port finally got their deserved equalizer . Danny Brookwell picked the ball up on the right wing and almost magically weaved his way into the box before unleashing his shot which appeared to go in via a ricochet. The goal was initially credited to Cai Jones but the app says Brookwell and Brookwell it shall be! So, 1-1 and very much game on.

The remainder of the half was end to end but SURELY Port would not concede this time …would they? Oh yes, they did,… albeit in extremely controversial circumstances. A shot at goal from distance was going well wide but was diverted into the goal by the outstretched foot of Jake Roberts. There were howls of protests from the Port team and a Mold supporter had no qualms in declaring that the scorer “was miles off-side”. Oh!......... “the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.” The half ended 2-1 to the hosts.

Port started the second half badly from a purely defensive perspective.A Mold attacker went clean through on goal in the first minute but this time Alex in the Port goal was quick enough off his line. Time and time again, Port`s defence was pierced by direct passes over the top. Yes, simple route one stuff. A good run, this time down the left wing was followed by an accurate cross by Jake Roberts. Unfortunately, young Alex who had produced a magnificent point-blank save.

during the first half, was just a tad guilty of remaining on his line, thus allowing Danny Warren to volley home unchallenged and it was 3-1 to the hosts.

Shortly after the hour mark, it seemed that Mold were first to everything as Port were manfully chasing a lost cause and it was little surprise when a Mold corner was nodded home by a towering header by Steve Watkins via the underside of the crossbar to make it 4-1.

Port, to their credit continued to attack at every opportunity but the strong home defence simply would not be pierced.

The fifth goal arrived due to frankly timid defending when the Mold winger was allowed absolute carte blanche to drift past a Port defender and his low cross was duly tapped home to make it an embarrassing 5-1 courtesy of Eric Durnell.

Mold`s victory was thoroughly deserved on the strength of their superior second-half performance but perhaps the margin of victory somewhat flattered them.

Football is a ninety minute game and we have to learn to apply ourselves better than this for the entire match.

Next Saturday, we travel to Chirk A.A.A. for a second round encounter in the Welsh Cup with a 2:30 kick-off.

Mold Alexandra :- Alex Swindell (GK), Matthew Lewis (M. Benaly 83`), Joshua Watkin, Steve Watkins, Danny Warren (Nathan Mendoza 70`), Samuel Duffy ( Eric Durnell 70`), Alex Smith (Joe Ormrod 55`), Rhys Nash, Dafydd Griffith, Henry Nash, Jake Roberts (Ahmed Ibrahim 83`). Yellow card :- Henry Nash (72`). Unused subs:- Charlie Davies, Sion McHugh

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks ( Iddon Price 63`), Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis, Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney ( Elis Puw 75`), Ryan Williams ( Luke Smith 63`), Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell (Rhys Alun 63`), Telor Williams.Yellow card :- Danny Brookwell (23`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Arthur Richard Smallman Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Simon McCormick, Katie Hannah
Torf/ Attendance :- 135

Treflyn Jones

30/09/2023 Cymru North League Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.30pm)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor: JOHNSONS HOTEL LINEN
Noddwr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors: DEWI ROBERTS Adeiladwr / Builder

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................2
Shaun Cavanagh 36', 62'

DENBIGH TOWN ...................................1
Matt Worrall 37'

There are no easy games in this league, that`s for sure!

On a rainy afternoon at Y Traeth, Port edged yet another nail-biter as they just about beat a very good Denbigh Town outfit. It was close but the victory was deserved on the balance of play and chances created. The game was also noteworthy for being a very encouraging first team debut for young goalkeeper Alex Ward-Jones.

In attacking terms, Port largely dominated the first half and as early as the second minute, Shaun Cavanagh latched on to a mis-placed pass but his worthy long-range effort was blocked. Cai Jones then came even closer when his firm effort was saved by keeper Aaron Jones` legs at the expense of a corner from which Shaun Cavanagh again tested the keeper. Then, on fifteen minutes, the industrious Danny Brookwell hit the ball too hard over the keeper when the gentlest of lobs would have sufficed to open the scoring. But the same player brought out the best in Aaron Jones as the keeper kept out his left foot thunderbolt. Denbigh launched their first dangerous attack on 34 minutes when a mix-up between Caio Hughes and and Alex Ward-Jones almost gifted the visitors with an unexpected equalizer. However, shortly after, Shaun Cavanagh at last opened Port`s account with a screamer from inside the box into the roof of the net after good work by Telor Williams down the left wing.

Frustratingly, as has often happened this season, the lead lasted barely a minute. Some rather weak tackling on the edge of Port`s box enabled Matthew Worrall to evade a couple of defenders before expertly placing the ball well wide of the diving Alex Ward-Jones to level the score at 1-1 and thus it remained at the end of the first period.

It was Denbigh who started the brighter during the opening minutes of the second half as it needed a last-ditch block by Telor to prevent the dangerous Joshua Lock from putting Denbigh in front. Danny Brookwell then twice came close for Port….the first time when he burst into the box after an excellent run down the right wing and secondly when he was clean through and the keeper bravely dived at his feet to block a goal-bound shot.

Around the hour mark, it was end to end fare but it was at this time that Shaun Cavanagh scored the goal which proved to be the winner. The striker received a good pass by Nathan Williams and, at the end of an audacious weaving run into the box, he tapped the ball past Aaron Jones to the delight of the Quarry End faithful. 2-1 to Port.

There were many anxious moments to come for both sets of supporters. It was hearts-in-mouth moment for Port fans when Matthew Worrall missed the target with a seemingly free header to audible gasps from the Denbigh followers. Then, at the stroke of injury time, Denbigh`s Ryan Kershaw was shown a straight red card by referee Mr. Wilding for an alleged stamp on Telor Williams. Then, on 92 minutes, Morgan Owen sidefooted wide of the mark with the goal at his mercy after further good work by Cavanagh. Finally, after 96 minutes, the final whistle was blown and Port had grabbed a very welcome three points . This brings us up to tenth place just behind Caersws who have a better goal difference.

Next Saturday, we travel to Mold Alexandra for another league tussle (k.o.:- 2:30 p.m.). See you there. Hwyl am y tro.

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis (Luke Smith 84`), Tom Mahoney (Josh Banks 74`), Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell (Elis Puw 90`), Caio Evans , Telor Williams . Unused subs:- Stuart Rogers, Zak Pike, Craig Papyrnik (GK) Yellow cards :- Danny Brookwell (10`), Cai Jones (19`),

Denbigh Town :- Aaron Jones (GK), Sion Tomos Jones, Craig Rogers, Daniel Parry-Jones, Ben Lockley, Joshua Lock (Craig Walker 82`), Matthew Worrall, Ryan Lee Kershaw (capt. ), Thomas Weir, Craig Pritchard, Nathan Brown (Oliver Hansen 83`)+ Paul Fleming on for Keiron Roberts (76`). Unused sub :- William John Holmes. Red card :- Ryan Lee Kershaw (90+2`) . Yellow card :- Sion Jones (82`).

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Patrick Ryan Wilding Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Vaughan Harding, Andrew Christopher Dogan
Torf/ Attendance :- 207

Treflyn Jones

22/09/2023: J.D.Cymru North Y Morfa, Conwy (k.o. 7.30pm)

LLANDUDNO .........................3
Billy Nicholas 44'’
Stephen Brown' 56'
Harvey Bennett 89'

CPD PORTHMADOG ............... 2
Shaun Cavanagh 53'(p)
Rhys Alun 90'+ 2'

When it`s just not your night………… Following a rather tedious and cagey first half in which Llandudno took the lead late on, the match burst into life during the second period and became a very exciting affair especially for the neutral supporter and certainly so for Llandudno fans.

Port started where they left off in the Welsh Cup match against Glantraeth recently with good, constructive football. It was mostly easy on the eye but that breakthrough simply refused to materialize. However, the first goal attempt in a relatively lifeless first half only arrived in the eleventh minute when Port`s Shaun Cavanagh screwed his shot way over the bar. Then, on twenty minutes, Llandudno, who were so dangerous on the break all night, were unlucky not to open the scoring. Their winger was put clean through on goal but Matt Wallace did well to block the shot with his legs. Such a let-off seemed to spur Port on to better things and Rhys Alun was unlucky to see his strong right footed effort blocked by a defender at the end of a very fine move. Then, the excellent Tom Mahoney (easily M.O.M. for Port) went on one of his weaving runs but nobody was able to get on the end of his low and dangerous cross into the centre of the box

Despite all the pressure from Port, Llandudno were always quick on the counter and they took the lead in the 44th minute when Billy Nicholas calmly volleyed a pinpoint cross from the right wing past Wallace on his near post and the half ended 1-0 to the hosts.

Port started the second period very much on the front foot. Telor Williams beat his man before sending in a strong shot which was unfortunately straight at the keeper. Shortly afterwards, the visitors gained a deserved equalizer when Morgan Owen evaded a couple of defenders before being brought down. Shaun Cavanagh stepped up to score sending Joe Angus the wrong way. 1-1 and game on!

As has been the case far too often this season, the small advantage of the equaliser was short-lived. Barely three minutes later, Stephen Brown belied all of his alleged 39 years as he out sprinted the Port defence before rounding Matt Wallace and tapped the ball home to the delight of the home fans. 2-1

Port then put the home defence under sustained pressure and forced several corner kicks which came to nothing. There came a steady supply of worthy goal attempts but it seemed as if every one of them were either blocked by defender or flew straight into the grateful arms of the busy Joe Angus.That is with the exception of a 20 yard drive by Cai Jones which needed a combination of Angus` outstretched right hand and the foot of the post to keep it out. But, worse was to follow for Port in the 89th minute. A Port defender lost possession and the hosts produced a glorious move down the left setting up Harvey Bennett who calmly slotted the ball past the onrushing Wallace. A great goal! The end?....not quite. Port continued to attack and a fine shot by Danny Brookwell was parried by Angus into the path of Rhys Alun who could not miss with the simplest of tap-ins. 3-2 and still Port came forward. Deep into injury time, another slick move gave Danny Brookwell a half-chance from 20 yards but his shot narrowly evaded the angle of post and bar. It was Llandudno`s night as they gained their first points of the season.

It would be churlish indeed to point the finger at anybody in the Port team as the work-rate and application was for the most part commendable. There`s nothing much wrong with this team apart from a bit of killer instinct and perhaps a small dose of Lady Luck!

We go again on Saturday, September 30th when we welcome high-scoring Denbigh Town to Y Traeth in another league encounter (k.o. 2:30). Daliwch i gredu!

Llandudno :- Joseph Angus, Matthew Robinson, Kyle Cooper (P. Hold 85`), Rowan Davies, Stephen Brown, Billy Nicholas, Harvey Bennett, Daniel Holland (capt.), Jenson Gee, Frank Montgomery, Liam Ellis (e. Roberts 67`) Unused Subs :- Alfie Banning, Alex Boss, Harry Montgomery, Frankie Arkwright, Thomas Guinn. Yellow card :- Rowan Davies (23`),

Porthmadog :- Matthew Wallace (GK), Morgan Owen, Telor Williams ( Danny Brookwell 58`), Gruff Ellis, Ifan Emlyn (Josh Banks 45`), Tom Mahoney, Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Caio Evans (Stuart Rogers 85`), Rhys Alun
Unused subs :- Craig Papyrnik (GK), Zak Pike , Elis Puw. Yellow cards :- Ryan Williams (33`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- James Walker Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Luke Alsop, Jake Patrick Smith
Torf / Attendance: 250

Treflyn Jones

19/09/2023: Nathaniel MG CUP Neuadd y Parc / Parkhall, Croesoswallt / Oswestry (k.o. 7.45pm)

THE NEW SAINTS .....................4
Josh Daniels 5''’
Ben Clarke 39'
Gwion Dafydd 54'
Adrian Cieslewicz 90'+ 4'

CPD PORTHMADOG .....................1
Shaun Cavanagh 9'

No match reporters available last night. Here are some of the main events of the game.

This was always going to be a difficult challenge for Port to repeat their2nd Round success against Cymru Premier opposition. TNS, multiple champions, came fresh from a 5-1 win over Haverfordwest County and things looked ominous when a powerful Josh Daniels header put them in front after just 5 minutes. Port however did not allow their heads to drop and, just 4 minutes later, they were back on level terms. Shaun Cavanagh, Port’s leading scorer in space in the box, converted an excellent cross coming in from the left to net his 8th goal of the season. The full-timers looked to restore their adavantage with efforts from Brennan and Canavan and Port keeper Mark Wallace pulled off a good save to deny Leo Smith against his hometown club. The score remained 1-1, with Port looking to mainain parity at the interval But with the clock ticking towards half-time Ben Clarke struck for TNS, turning well and beating Mark Wallace. 2-1 to the home team after 45’.

The Cymru Premier club made it a two goal advantage early in the 2nd period, when former Caernarfon Town youngster Gwion Dafydd netted with a back post header to make it 3-1. But once more Port stuck to their task and came close to cutting the deficit on 72 mins when Morgan Owen fired powerfully and the home keeper needed a second attempt to keep it out. It was disappointing for Port to concede a late, late panalty which made the final score 4-1 to TNS. Cieslewicz stepped up to convert the penalty. In the closing stages, with Josh Banks, Danny Brookwell, Rhys Alun and Iddon Price unavailable, Craig Papirnyk took the opportunity to give debuts to reserve team youngsters Mason Lloyd and Aron Catlin Roberts.

With games coming thick and fast Port travel to Conwy on Friday to take on Llandudno. Kick off 7.30pm.

TNS: Reece Thompson, J Pask, J Daniels (D Redmond 62’), A Cieslewicz, B Hudson (R Astles 45’), L Brennan (R Brobbel 45’), B Clarke, L Smith, J Canavan (B Young 62’). G Dafydd (O Davies 84,), T Jones, Unused sub J Edwards (gk) R Oakley.

Porthmadog: Mark Wallace, Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Luke Smith Stuart Rogers 84’), Ifan Emlyn, Tom Mahoney (Catlin Roberts 90’ +3’), Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Zak Pike 84’), Cai Jones (Elis Puw 84’), Caio Evans (M Lloyd 90 +2’), Gruff Ellis. Unused sub: A Ward Jones (gk)

Swyddogion / Officials: Alex Livsey, Connor Fowler, Natahan Jones.
Torf / Attencance 210

15/08/2023 Cwpan JD Cymru / JD Welsh Cup Y Traeth (k.o 730pm)
Noddi Pêl / Match Ball sponsor: TATWS TRADING

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................3
Shaun Cavanagh 32'
Cai Jones 85'
Rhys Alun 90'+ 6'

GLANTRAETH ........................................0

Seldom have Port supporters seen such a one-sided match where the dominant side left the pitch with such a relatively paltry margin of victory. The hosts bossed this game from start to finish and it must be emphasised that their approach play was admirable. Yet, on many occasions, we were found lacking in the opponents` box thanks to a combination of poor finishing, dogged defending and rotten luck.

Port started very much on the front foot with patient and accurate passing. In the fourth minute Rhys Alun should have at least hit the target with a close range header and soon after, Shaun Cavanagh was guilty of an even worse miss when he mis-controlled the ball with the goal at his mercy. Then after 18 minutes a long range effort by Ifan Emlyn flew off the crossbar and Tom Mahoney was inches wide with a header. There were 25 minutes on the clock when Glan forced their first corner from which a visiting attacker headed well but straight into Matt Wallace`s arms. Then at the end of a great move by Port, Mahoney sent the keeper the wrong way only to see Gwyndaf Owen saving the day with his legs. Finally, shortly after the half-hour mark, Port took the lead. Again, it was a sweeping move at the end of which a lovely lay-off by Danny Brookwell put Cavanagh clean through on goal and this time he made no mistake as he swept the ball past Owen to make it 1-0 to Port.

There was still time for Port to create one more chance. At the end of a splendid jinking run into the box, Danny Brookwell let fly with a low left footer which produced a superb one-handed save to his left by the busy Gwyndaf Owen. And so, 1-0 it remained at the break.

After defending so well in the first half, Glantraeth were beginning to grow into the game and five minutes into the second half, a Port defender had to time his tackle to perfection to prevent the impressive Tomos Hughes from testing Matt Wallace in the Port goal.

There followed attack after attack by the hosts, all of which came to nothing thanks to Glan`s excellent last-ditch defending and some more questionable finishing by Port.

The swashbuckling winger Telor Williams was a constant thorn in Glantraeth`s side down the left and it was from one of his many marauding runs that Port gained a richly deserved cushion. as he brushed past a couple of defenders to find the unmarked (for once!) Cai Jones who swivelled before placing the ball well wide of Owen`s despairing dive. 2-0.

During the final 10 minutes, a great shot by Morgan Owen went inches over the bar before another long range effort, this time by Rhys Alun, hit the bar but flew over to safety.

It was deep into injury time when Rhys Alun worked himself into space some twelve yards out before giving Owen no chance with a great shot into the corner of the net. This proved to be the last kick of the match and Port were into the hat for the second round of the Welsh Cup. Well done to both sides for producing an entertaining tussle.

Next Tuesday evening Port will travel to Oswestry to face the mighty T.N.S. in the second round of the Nathaniel M.G. trophy. Then, on Friday the 22nd, we travel to Y Morfa at Conwy to face Llandudno in a league encounter. Both games will kick off at 7.30 pm. Pob lwc i`r hogia yn y coch a du!

Porthmadog :- Matthew Wallace (GK), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks (Luke Smith 45`), Iddon Price (Ryan Williams 45`), Ifan Emlyn,Tom Mahoney, Shaun Cavanagh ( Telor Williams 45`), Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell (Caio Evans 45`), Rhys Alun, Gruff Ellis ( Nathan Williams 64`).

Glantraeth :- Gwyndaf Owen (GK), Gareth Hughes (Aaron Lewis-Davies 73`), Jon Darrel Williams, Huw Griffith, Arwel Williams, Gerallt Jones, Laurence Mandel ( Aron Jones 69`), Jamie Roberts (Will Hughes 69`), Anthony Connor Gordon, Gethin Davies (Mark Jones 46`), Tomos Wyn Hughes ( Cai Davies 86`).

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Karl Berry Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- David Griffiths, Tomos Huw Jones
Torf/ Attendance :- 224

Treflyn Jones

09/09/2023: J.D.Cymru North The Rock, Rhosymedre (k.o. 2.30pm)

GRESFORD ATHLETIC .....................2
Charley Edge 37'’
Haci Ozlu 45' + 2'

CPD PORTHMADOG .........................3
Shaun Cavanagh 34'(p), 42'(p)
Ifan Emlyn 90’+ 4'

“It`s not over until the fat lady sings..,” goes a rather silly old saying. Well, a somewhat portly female certainly sang the sweetest of arias for Ifan Emlyn deep into injury time today as Port`s tenacity and hard work in tropical conditions finally saw them over the line at the end of a pulsating and, at times, nerve-shredding match against a good Gresford Athletic outfit.

It was Port who started marginally the brighter and also created most of the goal-scoring chances during the first period. After six minutes, a sliding Shaun Cavanagh came very close to connecting with a low and dangerous cross by Tom Mahoney on the left wing and four minutes later, a Gresford attacker miscued a close-range volley from a corner kick with the goal at his mercy. Port continued to attack with pace in the scorching heat and it took a fine save by Michael Jones to prevent Morgan Jones from opening the scoring for Port as he parried away his strong right footed drive and the Gresford custodian did equally well to keep out a worthy effort by Rhys Alun. A few minutes later, Tom Mahoney was unlucky to see his fine shot cleared off the line by a defender. Shortly after the half hour mark, however, Port finally got their noses in front. The home keeper was adjudged to have brought down Rhys Alun in the box and up stepped Shaun Cavanagh to open the scoring as his low shot sent Michael Jones the wrong way.

It was rather disappointing after so much pressure from the visitors to see them conceding an equalizer barely two minutes later. There was hesitancy on the part of Port`s rearguard as they waited in vain for an off-side flag. A neat pass by Gallagher-Keen on the edge of Port`s box put Charlie Edge through on goal and he calmly shot under the body of the onrushing Wallace to make it 1-1.

Shortly before half time, Port were awarded another penalty when a fierce volley by Danny Brookwell hit a defender`s hand and Cavanagh completed his brace with a firm drive into the right hand corner past the diving reserve keeper Busby who had replaced the injured Michael Jones. 2-1 to Port. But…….the penalty-fest had not ended as Gresford were awarded a spot kick after Ryan Williams had brought down a Gresford attacker just inside the penalty area. This time, Gresford substitute Haci Ozlu calmly sent Matt Wallace the wrong way to ensure that an absorbing first half ended all square at two apiece.

Gresford were first out of the blocks in the second half as Haci Ozlu burst through the Port defence only to see his shot go just past the upright and, shortly after, it took a fine save by Wallace to keep out Charlie Edge. Then, it was Port`s turn as a glorious long distance effort by Morgan Owen was met by a brilliant one-handed save high to his right by Busby. Port came even.

closer on the hour mark when a thumping header by Gruff Ellis, rising high above the defence, slammed against the crossbar.

As we moved into the final fifteen minutes, it was end to end stuff and really anybody`s game and it took a top quality save by Port`s Matt Wallace to keep out the ever-dangerous Ozlu. Indeed, Port endured a few more heart in mouth moments before that moment of magic in the ninety-fourth minute. Danny Brookwell did very well indeed to dispossess the Gresford centre back on the edge of the area and weaved his way into the box before producing an unselfish lay-off to Ifan Emlyn, unmarked at the far post, who smashed home the winner to the unbridled joy of Port`s travelling supporters. 2-3 it ended and a valuable three points to the men from Y Traeth bringing our league total to seven points as we cement our place in eleventh place, level on points with Prestatyn.

Next Friday night ,we welcome Glantraeth of Ynys Mon to Y Traeth for a First Round Welsh Cup encounter (Kick-off at 7.30pm). This match is kindly sponsored by FALCONER ELECTRICAL SERVICES LTD.) Let`s hope for a bumper Friday night crowd.

P.S…………Llongyfarchaiadau mawr / Heartiest congratulations to the excellent Morgan Owen on his award for Player of the Month for August. Da iawn Morgan!

Gresford Athletic :- Michael Jones (GK) (M. Busby 45`), James Smith ( J.Roberts 83`), Adam Hesp, Paul Johnson, Joshua Griffiths (capt.), Simon Smith, Dominic Deacon (S. Spridgeon 88`), Joe Chaplin ( Haci Ozlu 25`), Charlie Edge, Alex Buxton, Gallagher-Keen ( H. Ellis 88`)
Yellow card :- Simon Smith (90`)

Porthmadog :- Matt Wallace, Morgan Owen, Josh Banks (Iddon Price 64`), Nathan Williams, Tom Mahoney, Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Cai Jones 46`), Danny Brookwell, Caio Evans, Rhys Alun (Ifan Emlyn 84`), Gruff Ellis (Luke Smith 75`) Unused sub :- Craig Papyrnik.

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Richard Lee Wright Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Harvey Smallman, Simon McCormick
Torf/ Attendance :- 78

Treflyn Jones

02/09/23: Gwasanaeth Gwaed Cymru / WBS League Cup Venue Rd. 1 :- Y Traeth (k.o.:- 2:30)
Noddwyr / Match Sponsors :- Laud Merediith; Cyfrifwyr Siartredig / Chartered Accountants
Noddwr y bêl / Match ball sponsor :- Pritchard & Griffiths, Trefnwyr Angladdau / Funeral Directors

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................1
Danny Brookwell 75'

RUTHIN TOWN .........................................3
Llyr Morris 4', 33'
Soulayman El Amri 6'

Reasons to be cheerful? Not many on this sunny afternoon! Last season, Port reached the final of this competition but were today deservedly dumped out by an energetic Rhuthun outfit who were greatly assisted by Port`s schoolboy defending in a very one-sided first half. Indeed, there were times during the first period when the visitors looked like a side a whole league above the hapless, leaden-footed hosts.

The skilful visitors found themselves a goal to the good after only four minutes when Port failed to clear a low free kick aimed at the near post. The prolific Llyr Morris duly nipped in and his close range shot from a narrow angle just about found the far side-netting.

Much worse was to follow two minutes later as our defenders dithered and dithered with Arsenal-style passing (LOL) in and around the box. You just knew that a misplaced pass was on the cards and thus it transpired presenting Soulyman El Amri with a gift-wrapped open goal and Port slipping to 0-2 down after only six minutes.

Rhuthun were first to everything and their overall dominance was underlined by the fact that it took all of 26 minutes for Port to come up with a half-chance when Danny Brookwell`s close range effort on the turn was blocked by a defender.

Were we about to turn a corner? No! On the half hour mark, that man Llyr Morris was allowed to waltz elegantly past a trio of timid defenders before putting a well-placed shot over the onrushing Wallace. Where oh where was the tackling ? Ah well……the half ended 0-3 in Rhuthun`s favour and deservedly so.

Port inevitably spruced things up a bit after the break with the introduction of Tom Mahoney , Caio Evans and Rhys Alun . Indeed, Port looked like a side transformed. The dangerous Telor Williams was sensibly pushed up-front and suddenly it was Port who were asking most of the questions although Llyr Morris came very close to extending the lead when his calm lob over Wallace rested on the roof of the net. On the hour mark, Port`s Danny Brookwell came very close to opening Port`s account when his low shot cannoned off the foot of the post after excellent work by Mahoney and Rhys Alun. But the same player gave Port a deserved consolation goal on 75 minutes as he beat his marker before dispatching a glorious left-foot drive beyond Goldston into the top corner of the net. A few minutes later, a terrific run into the box by Brookwell almost made it 2-3 but Goldston this time made a good block with his chest from close range.

It ended 1-3 and a thoroughly deserved victory to Rhuthun. Port will have to play a whole lot better next week when we return to league action to face Gresford Athletic at the Rock, home of Cefn Druids with a 2.30 kick-off. Who knows what we can achieve if we can reproduce today`s second half performance?

Porthmadog :- Matt Wallace (GK), Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (capt.) (Tom Mahoney 45`), Ifan Emlyn (Caio Evans 45`), Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Elis Puw 79`), Cai Jones (Rhys Alun 45`), Danny Brookwell, Luke Smith
Unused subs :- Zak Pike, Gruff Ellis, Kian Hughes Yellow cards :-Telor Williams (49`), Shaun Cavanagh (65`), Rhys Alun (90+1`)

Rhuthun :- Daniel Goldston (GK), Jamie Nash, Tyrese Cains, Vita Mbolokele, Ethan Davies, Osian Davies (capt.), Soulayman El Amri, Harry Martin (J. Hughes Hampson 49`) , Llyr Morris, Gwion Owen, Sam Jones (K. Mills 77`).
Unused subs :- Morgan Edmunds(GK), Keyni Mills, Jason Clark. Yellow cards :- Gwion Owen (41`), Sam Jones (55`), Vita Mbolokele (90`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Conor Charlton-Fleming Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Luke Alsop, Steven Roberts
Torf/ Attendance :- 187

Treflyn Jones

28/08/2023: J.D.Cymru North The Globe Way Stadium (k.o. 2.30pm)

BUCKLEY TOWN ..........................1
Sam McCormick 84’

CPD PORTHMADOG ........................1
Telor Williams 75’

“Every cloud has a silver lining,” or so they say. Despite allowing a full two hours for our journey, my friend Morris and I still arrived 20 minutes late for the match thanks to extremely heavy traffic on certain parts of the A55 on Bank Holiday Monday. The consolation, however, was to eventually find ourselves in the picturesque and homely surroundings of Globe Way……surely one of the more attractive grounds in the J.D. Cymru North.

It was also rather nice to hear the words “you haven`t missed much,” and that neither keeper had been seriously troubled hitherto. On the half hour mark, however, Port`s Danny Brookwell was put clean through on goal only to be foiled by a disputed off-side decision. But, seven minutes later, the same player was brought down in the box and referee Elwyn Parry pointed to the spot and up stepped Shaun Cavanagh. His very firm and seemingly well-directed shot was kept out by Goldston`s truly excellent one-handed save……probably one of the best pieces of goalkeeping you will see all season! .

At this stage, the game was still fairly even in terms of territorial advantage although it was Port who seemed marginally more dangerous in the final third of the pitch. Shortly before the break, Cavanagh put Rhys Alun through on goal on the left flank but his first-time left-footed drive went narrowly wide of the far post and 0-0 it remained at the interval. .

Port looked the more potent outfit for much of the second half but could they breach a tough Buckley rearguard? Well, on 49 minutes, Morgan Owen made a powerful burst into the box but his effort was blocked by a defender`s heel. Just before the hour mark, Cavanagh latched on to a great pass by Luke Smith and rounded the keeper. It seemed as if he just had to score but somehow, the keeper recovered his ground and the shot was again blocked. It wasn`t all Port though as Matt Wallace in the visitors` goal had to be super-alert to back pedal quickly and divert a ballooning ricochet over the bar. .

On 75`, however, Port deservedly opened the scoring courtesy of Telor Williams. After sterling work by Morgan Owen followed by a deft defence-splitting pass, Telor drove unerringly past Goldston to Put Port ahead. .

Then, it was Buckley`s turn to turn up the heat as a dangerous looking volley by Connor Littler went narrowly past the upright to Matt Wallace`s relief. .

The luckless Cavanagh could well have put the game to bed but he seemed to mis-time his attempted lob over the onrushing Goldston from just outside the box and this proved to be a miss that Port would eventually rue.

It was in the 85` minute that Buckley conjured up a rather farcical equalizer. Substitute Sam McCormick seemed to rather mis-hit his free kick from outside the box. The ball travelled tamely along the ground but it evaded everyone including the unsighted Wallace who dived the wrong way thus allowing the ball to nestle in the central part of the net . This was an absolute sickener and came too late for Port to recover sufficiently to find what would have been a deserved winner on the balance of play in the second period.

Before the match, most Port supporters would have been happy with a draw away from home but the faithful throng had to make the long journey home dreaming of what might have been.

‘Every cloud………???’ This coming Saturday, we go again as we entertain Rhuthun at Y Traeth in another league encounter (k.o.:- 2:30). Let`s hope for better luck this time. Daliwch i gredu….fe ddaw eto haul ar fryn! .

Buckley Town :- R. Goldston, Joe Haley, Dylan Roberts, Callum Humphries, Daniel Burgess, Scott McHarrie ( Iwan Jones 54`), Joshua Jones (Sam McCormick 52`), Liam Driscoll, Asa Hamilton (C. Littler 63`), Max Moore, Aled Bellis Unused subs :- J. Allen, K. Cartwright, L. Cant
Yellow cards :- Sam McHarrie (16`), Asa Hamilton (36`), Joshua Jones (43`), Christopher Roberts (coach 70`) .

Porthmadog :- Matt Wallace, Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Ifan Emlyn 45`), Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Elis Puw 88`), Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell ( Tom Mahoney 58`), Rhys Alun ( Gruff Ellis 82`) Luke Smith. Unused Subs :- Zak Pike, Craig Papyrnik Yellow card :- Luke Smith (82`) .

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Elwyn Rhys Parry Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- David Griffiths, Nathan James Alexander Goruchwyliwr/ Referee observer :-John Frederick Baston
Torf / Attendance :- 287 .

Treflyn Jones

19/08/23: JD Cymru North League Venue :- Y Traeth (k.o.:- 2:30)
Noddwyr / Match Sponsors :- TANRONNEN INN Beddgelert
Noddwr y bêl / Match ball sponsor :- EMRYS GRIFFITH, Morfa Nefyn

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................0

GUILSFIELD ...........................................1
Iwan Matthews 81'(p)

A disappointing home defeat for Port, with the Guils picking up their first 3 pts of the season, thanks to an 81st minute penalty. Especially during the second period, the home side failed to come to terms with the visitors’ high pace, high intensity game which never allowed them a moment to settle on the ball and play a more measured passing game. A strong wind also influenced how the game was played, as well as some very tolerant refereeing.

The visitors started with the stiff breeze on their backs, pushing forward seeking to take an early advantage. An free kick from Cathrall established the kind of threat that would be imposed by the conditions. Port however soon responded and, following a break down the left, keeper Robbie Williams went down to his left to keep out Rhys Alun’s shot. It was end to end and at 100 mph and in the 11th minute a Cathrall long throw was headed over Matt Wallace’s crossbar by striker Iwan Matthews.

A period of Port pressure followed with Telor Williams setting off on some strong mazy runs to put the Guils defence under pressure but the final ball into the box or the final shot proved not good enough. A keeper error almost produced a goal when Telor Williams’ long cross from wide left was mishandled and needed a desperate, scrambled clearance. There were good efforts on goal from Tom Mahoney and Rhys Alun with neither succeeding to work the keeper and one from Telor Williams following another dangerous run from deep.

In the closing stages of the first half Guilsfield threatened again, relying on dangerous crosses and free kicks from Cook, Cathrall and Guest. A free kick for a foul on Iwan williams just outside the box went across the face of goal but wide. At half-time the game remained goalless. 0-0.

Straight from the re-start Port could have snatched a goal but Bromley at the near post kept out Rhys Alun’s low shot. Following this, a shot from Shaun Cavanagh was well saved by the Guils keeper. Play became end to end but despite playing into the wind gradually the visitors started getting on top. Bromley headed narrowly wide at the back post and when a low ball came in from the left Jamie Hyne’s touch took it narrowly wide. Fortunately for Port, keeper Matt Wallace was in top form, keeping out Haylock’s low shot , a Hyne effort from inside the box and best of all a great one-handed save to keep out Guest’s 25 yard free kick.

Port did have their chances, keeper Robbie Williams saved well from Tom Mahoney but the home side came closest to a goal when the keeper failed to hold Danny Blockwell’s fierce shot, only to recover as Shaun Cavanagh threatened.

The all action game was finally decided by a penalty when the referee adjudged a foul had been committed following a Guils corner. Iwan Matthews stepped up sending keeper Wallace the wrong way and striking the left hand corner of the net. 0-1 to the Guils and this how remained after a lengthy period of added time.

Disappointing for Port who were missing several front line defenders and will hope now to re-group get the missing players back and, with so many new faces, build the understanding and team work needed to produce the desired results.

Port’s next game will be away at Buckley Town on Bank Holiday Monday 28th August 2.30pm.

CPD Porthmadog: Matt Wallace, Caio Evans, Ryan Williams, Gruff Ellis, Telor Williams, Ifan Emlyn (Zak Pike (90'+4'), Tom Mahoney (Sion Roberts 85'), Cai Jones (Kian Hughes 69'), Danny Brookwell, Shaun Cavanagh (Elis Puw 90'+4'), Rhys Alun (Stuart Rogers 69'). Unused subs: Iolo Thomas, Craig Papirnyk.
Yellow: Gruff Ellis 42', Danny Brockwell,71', Shaun Cavanagh 78'.

Guilsfield: Robbie Williams, Callum Bromley, Chris Cathrall, Aaron Lloyd, Jamie Hyne, Iwan Matthews, Jake Cooke (A Knott 82'), Ben Guest, Ellis Turner, Tom Williams (K Capner 90'+1'), Joe Haycock (J Astley 65').Unused Subs: J Richards. Yellow: Chris Cathrall 84'

Dyfarnwr / Referee: Siôn Peter Davies, Cynorthwywyr / Assistants: Jake Smith, Ryan Hughes.
Torf / Attendance: 271

Gareth Williams

12/08/2023: J.D.Cymru North at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium (k.o. 2.30pm)

AIRBUS ................................2
Craig Lindfield 42’
Sam Baker 81’

CPD PORTHMADOG ........................1
Morgan Owen 72’(p)

A goal just 9 minutes from the end settled this match, as Port were heading for a deserved draw in difficult conditions, with a swirling wind not making it easy for either team.

Airbus. one of the favourites for the title, started brightly with an effort by Craig Lindfield on the volley just past the post. A further threat to the Port goal followed but Kaiden Cooke failed to connect with a cross from the left.

Misfortune struck Port after just 21 minutes when goalkeeper Matty Wallace was forced to leave the field when he suffered a recurrence of the leg injury he had picked up against Chirk AAA on Tuesday evening. Wallace was replaced by Meilir Ellis.

As the half wore on Port gradually grew into the match and on 26 minutes Caio Evans's effort from the left of the box threatened but was cleared by the Airbus defence at the cost of a corner.

On 28 minutes keeper Meilir Ellis was called into action with a shot from Joe Palmer well saved. Port were now enjoying a good period and, on 32 minutes, Danny Brookwell broke through the Airbus defence but his effort went narrowly wide of the goal.

As we were heading towards a goalless 1st half, Craig Lindfield broke the deadlock and scored the opening goal for Airbus. Though Meilir Ellis had blocked the initial shot, the former Colwyn Bay forward followed up to score.

1-0 to the home side at the end of the opening 45 minutes.

Port started brightly in the 2nd half but found a well organised and solid Airbus defence in no mood to concede.After 57 minutes the Port management team decided it was time for some changes with Stuart Rogers and Gruff Ellis being introduced to replace Tom Mahoney and Iddon Price.

On 67 minutes Airbus thretened to add a second goal when Tyler McManus broke free but his pass went across the goal and the Port defence was able to clear to safety.

But Port remained very much in the game and on 71 minutes a through ball by Morgan Owen put the home defence under serious pressure. His pass found Danny Brookwell who was brought down in the penalty area. The referee, Aled Williams, pointed to the spot. After much protesting by the Airbus goalkeeper, Morgan Owen slotted home the penalty to the delight of the Port supporters to make it 1-1.

This made Port more determined to find the winning goal, but it was Airbus's Joe Palmer who came closest with a header. But with the game entering the final 10 minutes Airbus restored their lead. It was substitute Sam Baker who put them back ahead with an unstoppable effort from outside the box making it 2-1.

Airbus seemed to settle for the slender lead and Port pushed ahead in the closing minutes in an effort to restore parity. Gruff Ellis with a header and Cai Jones who narrowly failed to apply a touch to a Danny Brookwell cross came closest to finding an equaliser. This was the last of the action and though it was another strong performance from Port they had suffered another narrow defeat in a difficult away fixture.

The match finished 2-1 to the home team.

Airbus may have been relegated following a difficult season in the Cymru Premier but the club have always been a force to be reckoned with at Cymru North level. That will be the case again this season and a visit to the Hollingsworth Group Stadium will be one of the more challenging games of the season.

First team coach Steve Williams, in his post match comments, said that it was disappointing to come away with nothing following an excellent second-half performance. But in both their away games with title favourites, Holywell and Airbus, Port have pushed these difficult opponents all the way. Expectations are now high at the Traeth but Port are still a relatively new team that will continue to improve.

Next at Y Traeth Port v Guilsfield next Saturday 19th k.o.2.30pm.

Porthmadog: Matt Wallace (Meilir Ellis 21’), Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Gruff Ellis 58’), Ifan Emlyn, Tom Mahoney (Stuart Rogers 58’), Ryan Williams, Cai Jones, Caio Evans, Danny Brookwell. Unused subs: Shaun Cavanagh, Iolo Thomas, Aaron Jones, Craig Papirnyk

Airbus: Keighan Jones, Stephen Thomas, Joseph Palmer, Ryan Edwards, Sam Ricketts (Kieran Evans 36’), Jordan Evans, Jake Eyre, Kaiden Cooke (Sam Baker 74’), Elliott Orton, Tyler McManus, Craig Lindfield (Bradley Knight 88’).Unused subs: L Dutton, H Greig, R Jones.
Yellow: Keighan Jones 71’, Steve Tomassen 85’, Craig Lindfield 86’

Dyfarnwr / Referee: Aled Williams, Cynorthwywyr / Assistants: David Griffiths, Luke Allsop.
Torf / Attendance: 192

Dylan Rees

08/08/23: JD Cymru North League Venue :- Y Traeth (k.o.:- 7:30)
Noddwyr / Match Sponsors :- CARIAD CARE HOMES
Noddwyr y bêl / Match ball sponsors :- Children's Farm Park Slate Caverns Llanfair

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................4
Cai Jones 29'
Danny Brookwell 51;
Telor Williams 73',76'

CHIRK AAA ......................................1
Max McClaughlin 66'

The scoreline suggests a comfortable win for Port but though enjoyng the best of the exchanges in the opening half they went in at the interval with just a single goal advantage. The game however turned on an incident just two minutes into the second period, when Chirk keeper Oliver Farebrother saw red after handling outside his box. Down to 10 men the visitors slipped behind within minutes and though they fought back to make it 2-1 the game gradually slipped away from them and a brace from Telor Williams made the 3 points safe for the home team.

Port started strongly and within 2 minutes had threatened the Chirk goal, Ifan Emlyn breaking on the left of the box and his well struck shot was pushed away for a corner by keeper Farebrother. Port forced another two corners which came to nothing. Gradually Chirk came more into the game with Dale Davies looking to get in behind the Port defence while Max McClaughlin cut inside but saw his shot strike the side netting.

With 20 minutes gone a mix up in the visitors goalmouth could have cost them, but was eventually cleared out of the danger area. Cavanagh was then brought down on the edge of the Chirk box but Ifan Emlyn’s free kick flew clear of the crossbar. Another near miss for Port as Tom Mahoney came close to converting Morgan Owen’s cross. But with 29 minutes on the clock Cai Jones netted from close range with Morgan Owen again involved. It followed some good Port approach play. On the balance of play Port deserved their lead and indeed had they converted their opportunities it could have been more. McClaughlin howver continued to pose a threat for the visitors especially on the break, but overall Matt Wallace, making his home debut, was largely untroubled. Port lost the services of central defender Nathan Williamsr towards the end of the opening half to be replaced by Gruff Ellis. At the interval Port remained .1-0 in front.

The game changed 2 minutes into the second period when Farebrother was red carded. The 10 men soon suffered again when on 51 minutes Shaun Cavangh supplied Danny Brockwell who cut in from the left and from a narrow angle fired inside the far post. 2-0 to Port. As Port continued to apply the pressure the sub keeper pulled of a great save to divert Cai Jones’ powerful strike for a corner. The visitors were not ready to throw in the towel and indeed Max McCaughlin reduced the lead on 66 minutes, put away by Dale Davies, he fired low across the goal into the far corner.

This shook Port into further action but, despite applying heavy pressure, they spurned a series of good chances in a matter of a few minutes, which would have made the game safe. Then Telor Williams, who had moved up into a more attacking role, took charge playing a key role in taking the game away from Chirk. He found the net twice in 3 minutes. On 73 minutes a close range blast from Telor turned in Ifan Emlyn’s corner. And on 76 minutes he fired in Morgan Owen’s low cross from the right. 4-1 and the points were now safe. Telor Williams was denied his hat-trick when the stand -in keeper pulled off a good save at his near post.

A good crowd and 3 points as Port look now to next Saturday when they travel to Broughton to meet Airbus who played in the Cymru Premier last season

Porthmadog Matt Wallace, Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams (Gruff Ellis 39’), Ifan Emlyn (Iolo Thomas 82’), Tom Mahoney, Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Kian Hughes 61’), Cai Jones, Dan Brookwell, Caio Evans

Unused subs: Meilir Ellis, Iddon Price. Yellow Iolo Thomas 88’

Chirk AAA Oliver Farebrother, Adam Williams, Daniel Burnett (Louis Middlehurst 51’), Jake Ellison, Matty Williams (I Hardy 71’), Ashton Williams, Josh Evans (J Mann 71’), Josh Phillips, Dale Davies, Max McClaughlin (Ryan Davies 81), Steffan Rogers. Red Oliver Farebrother 47’ Yellow Da burnett 21, Steffan Rogers 70’.

Dyfarnwr /Referee: Iolo Williams, Cynorthwyrwyr / Assistabts Kenwyn Hughes, Andrew Dogan.
Torf /Attendance: 308

Gareth Williams

04/08/23: Nathaniel MG Cup Round 2 Venue :- OVAL (k.o.:- 7:45)

CAERNARFON TOWN ...............2
Adam Davies 45'
Ryan Austin 63'

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................2
Danny Brookwell 32'
Morgan Owen 89'

Penalty Shoot-Out Caernarfon Town 2-4 CPD Porthmadog

Penalties:- Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Cai Jones,Shaun Cavanagh

The Gwynedd Derby between Caernarfon and Porthmadog in Round 2 of the Nathaniel MG Cup produced a thrilling game, a last minute equaliser and a tension ridden penalty shoot-out to decide that the Cymru North club had edged out the Cymru Premier club for a place in the 3rd Round of the competition. Local rivalry and, the fact that many players had represented both clubs, only added to an occasion which attracted a gate of 812 -the highest of the round by some distance.

Caernarfon started well and enjoyed the early possession but without threatening the Port goal. The first danger signs did not come until 20 mnuites had elapsed and it needed good work from a combination of defender Morgan Owen and debutant keeper Matt Wallace to prevent the home side’s striker Adam Davies, a new signing from Airbus, putting the Cymru Premier club ahead. .

Port then enjoyed a better spell and former Cofi wingman Danny Brookwell could well have put them ahead on 25 minutes. Three minutes later and Tom Mahoney crossed dangerously into the home side’ box. Just past the half-hour mark and it was the visitors drawing first blood. It was Danny Brookwell who put them ahead. Cutting in from the right he placed his shot wide of Woods in the home goal. 1-0 to Port. .

The first half had seen Caernarfon dominating the opening 20 minutres with Port having the best of the next 20. But with the interval approaching the home team made a determined effort to get back on level terms and on the stroke of half-time they netted and it was newcomer Adam Davies who levelled things up. 1-1 at the half way mark. .

Port made a substitution at half-time with Gruff Elllis replacing the experienced Iddon Price who had taken a knock during the opening half. Port started well with Brookwell again a threat making a dangerous run down the left with the ball being eventually forced out for a corner. .

The home side were soon back in the game, however, and enjoyed a good spell threatening Matt Wallace’s goal. First with a free kick in a dangerous position and on the hour mark Wallace pulled off an excellent save to keep out a Sion Bradley header. But the Cofis were not to be denied and two minutes later Ryan Austin put the home side ahead for the first time. Austin, another new signing, headed home Darren Thomas’ free kick to the back post. 2-1 Caernarfon. .

Luke Smith, a Port signing from Conwy Borough, made his debut from the bench, replacing Tom Mahoney in midfield. Port pushed hard now in search of an equaliser. Shaun Cavanagh came closest on 85 minutes when he was unlucky to see his goal bound effort strike the crossbar. Then, when Caernarfon’s progress to the 3rd round looked inevitable, Morgan Owen struck. A thunderbolt thumped the back of the Caernarfon net and the scores were level again. .

On to penalties and, with mounting tension, the very same Morgan Owen put Port 1-0 in front and Telor Williams, Cai Jones and Shaun Cavanagh all successfully converted their penalties. But Dion Donohue and Rhys Alun for Caernarfon both struck the crossbar. 4-2 and Port were in the hat for Round 3. .

Caernarfon: R Woods, I Cartwright, Ryan Austin, Dion Donohue, Sion Bradley, (Rhys Alun 75’) Danny Gossett, Adam Davies (C Powell Roberts86)’, Darren Thomas, M Williams, B Wynne, P Mooney. Unused subs: T Pritchard, R Hughes, B Maher, L Lloyd. Yellow: Dion Donohue,

Porthmadog: Matt Wallace, Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Gruff Ellis 46’), Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney (Luke Smith 70’), Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell. Unused subs: Meilir Ellis, Elis Puw, Iolo Thomas, Kian Hughes, Zak Pike. Yellow: Tom Mahoney, Caio Evans. .

Dyfarnwr / Referee: Alex Livesey, Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants> Bryan Mark Hughes, Stephen Roberts.
Torf / Attendance: 812.

29/7/2023: J.D.Cymru North at the Achieve More Stadium (k.o. 2.30pm)

HOLYWELL TOWN .........................1
James Graham 18'

CPD PORTHMADOG ........................0

On a sunny afternoon at a ground once known as Halkyn Road, Porthmadog slipped to defeat against a capable Holywell Town outfit in this season`s curtain raiser. Port did their best with a commendable and competitive performance but, on the balance of play, the hosts, who were last season`s runners-up, achieved a deserved victory.

Holywell dominated possession in the opening eight minutes or so with their accurate passing and timely interceptions. However, Ifan Emlyn got a shot away in the eighth minute for Port but his drive sailed over the bar. This first attempt spurred Port on to better things as Danny Brookwell shot into the Wellmen`s net from close range in the tenth minute only for his effort to be ruled out for offside. .

The Wellmen then produced several promising attacks and Meilir Ellis had to be alert to save a strong shot on 12 minutes. Five minutes later , however, the hosts scored. A corner kick was not cleared and Holywell`s James Graham was on hand to thump in a simple goal from close range. .

On 22 minutes Port`s Shaun Cavanagh`s strong run took him past a defender but his shot went narrowly wide and shortly after, Meilir Ellis did well to tip a good-looking shot over his bar. Cavanagh then went close for Port as his goal bound free kick was blocked by a defender. Then, shortly before the interval, the hosts went desperately close when a 30yard left-foot rocket cannoned off Port`s crossbar. 1-0 it remained at the end of the first half. .

Holywell started the second half very brightly as they kept possession well and forced a string of corners. Indeed, barely 10 minutes after the restart, they struck the bar again courtesy of a glorious left foot drive by Gareth Evans. Shortly thereafter, Meilir Ellis was at his best as he tipped over a goal-bound header and from the resulting corner James Graham`s close range shot came off the foot of the post. .

Towards the end, Port threw caution to the wind and produced a few promising attacks, one of which produced a wonderful long-range volley by Ifan Emlyn, which, unfortunately for Port, went straight at the keeper`s chest. .

The final score remained at 1-0. Holywell`s win was well-merited and this team may prove to be one of this season`s front runners. .

Next Friday night, Port will make the relatively short journey to the Oval at Caernarfon when they will face the Cofis in the second round of the Nathaniel MG Trophy, kick-off :- 7.45. .

Holywell Town :- Shaun Pearson, James Graham, Gareth Evans, Tom Bibby, David Forbes (M. Winslade 78`), Daniel Andrews, Brady McGilloway, Myles Hart, Morgan Murray, Julian Williams (L. Wiltshire 86`), Kai Wallis ( J. Pennington 57`). Yellow cards :- Brady McGilloway (32`), David Forbes (37`), Kai Willis (37`), M. Winslade (90`).

Porthmadog :- Meilir Ellis, Morgan Owen, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Zak Pike 85`), Ifan Emlyn, Tom Mahoney, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell, Telor Williams, Kian Hughes ( Iolo Thomas 45`). Yellow cards :- Tom Mahoney (45`), Danny Brookwell (56`).

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Alex Livesey Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Ryan Mark Hughes, Katie Hannah
Torf / Attendance :- 255.

Treflyn Jones

22/7/23: Nathaniel MG Cup Round 1 Venue :- Y Traeth (k.o.:- 2:30)
Noddwyr / Match Sponsors :- Cyfreithwyr Gamlin`s Solicitors
Noddwyr y bêl / Match ball sponsors :- I. J. Plastering, Porthmadog

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................4
Shaun Cavanagh ( 48`, 55`, 56`, 88`)

LLANIDLOES TOWN ................................2
James Smallwood (45+3`, 61`)

Port`s first foray into competitive football for season 2023/24 proved to be an absorbing and enjoyable affair as a largely new-look home side edged out old mid-Wales rivals Llanidloes in the first round of the Nathaniel MG Cup. The game will doubtless be remembered for the memorable exploits of the returning striker Shaun Cavanagh who netted all four goals for the hosts. However, let us not forget the achievement of the visitors` James Smallwood who netted a fine brace on his senior debut for Llan.

Port were immediately on to the front foot, playing with pace and good passing movements and produced an early half-chance for Cavanagh but Llani`s keeper Luke Evans read the situation well and made a timely diving block. In the 12th minute Port`s Danny Brookwell skilfully worked his way into the box but his rather tame left-footer was easily gathered by the keeper. On 17`, however, the same player produced a tremendous left-footed daisy-cutter which was thwarted by a tremendous one-handed save by Evans. On 25 minutes it was Cavanagh`s turn again as his inswinging corner had to be punched on to his own bar by the busy Evans in the away goal and three minutes later it was Jason Banks whose fine shot produced yet another save low to his left by Evans. Barely a minute later, it seemed as if Telor Williams simply had to score when he completely missed a point-blank header and the same player soon after produced a magnificent, mazy run into the box only for Evans to parry his thunderbolt onto the bar and over for a corner kick. Would Port rue their profligacy?

Well, it took until the 37th minute for Llani to create a truly clear-cut chance but a strong shot inside the box was blocked by a Port defender and soon after, Port`s stand-in keeper Meilir Ellis dealt well with a deep cross. Deep into injury time, however, Llanidloes took a surprise lead when debutant James Smallwood found himself in space in Port`s box and calmly rolled the ball past Meilir Elis into the corner. It was tough luck on Port as they had produced the lion`s share of scoring chances in the first half but football`s a cruel game and you have to take those chances when they come.

Port came out in determined fashion after the interval and equalized after only three minutes after tremendous work by Danny Brookwell who evaded two defenders before unleashing a strong shot low to the keeper`s right. The shot was parried away but only into the path of Shaun Cavanagh who happily tapped home the equalizer. Tom Mahoney then narrowly missed the target after a fine solo run into the box and Cai Jones 25-yard drive was tipped over by the keeper. It was now end-to-end stuff as that man Smallwood`s curling shot came off the Port upright. On 56 minutes, however, Port took the lead for the first time. Mahoney released Jason Banks on the left flank. The industrious winger evaded a couple of challenges and his pin-point cross was driven home by Cavanagh to make it 2-1. A minute later, it was 3-1 when the Cofi striker produced an excellent low drive from distance into the corner of the net to complete an excellent hat-trick.

If Port thought it was ‘game over’, they were in for a rude awakening as Smallwood for Llani jinked his way into the box and placed a deft flick past the onrushing Meilir Elis to make the scoreline 3-2.

On 88` minutes. Port nerves were finally calmed after Shaun Cavanagh calmly diverted another excellent cross from the left flank by Jason Banks.

4-2 it remained and a fine win for Port. The five new signings made a very positive impression indeed and it was also great to see two local youngsters Zak Pike and Elis Puw getting a run-out in the dying minutes. Congratulations to both players for scoring a goal apiece in a 2-2 draw for the reserves at Tywyn- Bryncrug last night. Da iawn, hogia a da iawn Port heddiw. Ymlaen!

Porthmadog :- Meilir Ellis, Morgan Owen, Josh Banks (Jason Banks 17`), Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (capt.), Tom Mahoney, Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh ( Elis Puw 90 + 4`), Cai Jones (Kian Hughes 84`), Danny Brookwell (Gethin Williams 90+4`), Telor Williams.

Llanidloes Town :- Luke Evans, Ryan Biggs (William Denham 87`), Mason Jones, Edward Clarke (capt.), Daniel Lewis, Adam Worton, Jack Orbell (Adam Nottingham 87`), George Clarke (Jensen Jones 83`), Connor Bird, James Smallwood, Nyasha Mwamuka.

Yellow cards :- Ryan Biggs (64`), Daniel Lewis (72`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Mark James, Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants :- Connor Eoin Fowler, David Griffiths
Torf / Attendance :- 169

Treflyn Jones


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us