CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Cardiff Airport (h) | Caersws (h) | Buckley (h) | Flint (a) | Bangor 1876 (h) | Bangor 1876 (a) | Ruthin Town (h) | Prestatyn (a) | Mold Alex (h) | Llanidloes (h) | Denbigh (a) | Llandudno (h) | Caersws (a) | Llanidloes (a) | Gresford (h) | Buckley (h) | Guilsfield (a) | Airbus (h) | Chirk (h) | Holywell (h) |

19/04/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 7.30)

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................0

HOLYWELL TOWN .............................3
Dan Andrews 18`
Jamie Breese 69` (p)
Ilan ap Gareth 90'+ 1'`

Prior to tonight`s kick-off, a minute`s applause was nicely delivered in memory of three notable deaths within North Wales football circles during the week. In no particular order (as they say) …Wil Humphreys, a Port boy through and through who wore the black and red with much pride during the Mel Charles era of the mid-sixties. Also, Holywell supporter Colin Oliver who so tragically died during Tuesday night`s match against Llanidloes, and Gareth Parry (senior), father of former Port manager Gareth Parry.

This was a must win game for Port in our effort to remain in Tier Two. However, in great Shakespearean tradition, there was a sub-plot in the shape of tonight`s match between Gresford and Prestatyn. A defeat for Prestatyn would spell sweet safety for Port. But……you know the rest!

Holywell served up an early warning in the ninth minute when Jake Cook got the better of his industrious namesake Jake Jones only to shoot into the side-netting. Ten minutes later, the Wellmen got their noses in front when the ever-dangerous Daniel Andrews close range shot found the corner of the net after Port had failed to clear.

Port had a just a few promising moments during the first period. After a patient build-up, Gethin Thomas was presented with a half-chance but his shot was high and none-too-handsome. Then, a minute before the interval, the Wellmen`s keeper Shaun Pearson gathered a low cross at his near post at the end of an even better move. 0-1 at the break and that was fair enough.

Port upped their game in the second half. (To be fair, every single Port player put in a good shift tonight.) Early on, Telor Williams, spurred on by splendidly youthful support in the ‘Pygmy Stand’, volleyed another shot over the bar after excellent work by Caio Evans. Shortly after, it was Holywell`s turn as a powerful left-footed free kick from that man Andrews produced a terrific save by Farebrother. The visitors were now looking increasingly dangerous on the counter-attack and were awarded a very soft-looking penalty when Farebrother was adjudged to have brought down a Holywell attacker. Up stepped the composed Jamie Breese to sidefoot past the wrong-footed Farebrother and the visitors were 2-0 up. The same player got within a whisker to making it 3-0 when a rapid breakaway put him clear on goal only for his shot to narrowly evade the upright.

Port continued to launch some frantic attacks but to no avail and it was up to former Port player Ilan ap Gareth to put the icing on the Wellmen`s cake as he weaved and waltzed his way past three defenders before tapping home. It ended 0-3, and, thanks to a 2-2 stalemate at Gresford, we are relegated to the undesirable Tier Three for a second time.

As Iwan Gareth put it :- FE GODWN ETO! / WE SHALL RISE AGAIN!

Porthmadog :- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones (Iddon Price 78`), Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Ryan Williams, Caio Evans, Josh Banks, Rob Jones (Danny Brookwell 51`), Rhys Alun, Cai Jones, Gethin Thomas. Unused subs :- Meilir Ellis, Charley McMillan, William Owen-Ford, Zak Pike, Mabon Ilan Owen. Yellow cards :- Rob Jones (38`), Nathan Williams (68`), Gethin Thomas (69`), Josh Banks (80`)

Holywell Town :- Shaun Pearson, Gareth Evans, Daniel Sullivan , Thomas Bibby, Daniel Andrews (Mark Winslade 87`), Jake Cook, Michael Pearson, Brady McGillaway (M. Murray 71`), Beau Cornish (Ilan ap Gareth 87`), Jamie Breese (Julian Williams 87`)
Unused subs:- Tyler French (GK), Samuel Kersh, David Forbes,
Yellow cards :- Daniel Sullivan (61`), Thomas Bibby (67`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Aaron Wyn Jones
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Luke Allsop, Gavin Maloney
Torf / Attendance :- 512

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

01/04/2024 Cymru North Venue: Holyhead Road Y Waun / Chirk (k.o 2.30pm)

CHIRK AAA ...................................... 1
Rhys Edwards 24'

CPD PORTHMADOG ........................ 1
Rhys Alun 53'

Give praise where praise is due.

Porthmadog, for once, did not start brightly as they so often do. Far from it! Their performance during the first half left much to be desired. They were tentative, slow, nervous (understandably under the circumstances!) and far too many passes went astray. However, such a criticism would, to be fair, befit both sides at the end of an untidy 45 minutes played on a sodden and heavy pitch. Having said that, the visitors turned things around in the second period and such was Port`s utter dominance after the interval, that they fully deserved to go home with all three points in the bag. Sadly though, justice was not served to the men in black and red today.

Yes, it was the hosts who started the brighter for the opening quarter of an hour or so as they managed to pen Port back in their own half. Ironically, just as Port managed to perk up, the hosts took the lead when some indecision in Port`s back-line led to a failure to clear the ball to safety. Then, following some needless pin-ball in the visitors` box, the ball fell kindly to the long-haired raider Rhys Edwards who gleefully slammed the ball home past Oliver Farebrother in the Port goal. 1-0 to Chirk after 22 minutes.br>
Hope springs eternal……Indeed the remainder of the half belonged largely to the men from Gwynedd. Port centre half Ryan Williams, who had a fine game, climbed high at the far post from a corner kick only to see his firm header clear the bar. Ten minutes later, Rhys Alun burst through on goal after stirling work by Cai Jones but his very fine half-volley came off the inside of the post. Shortly afterwards, two commendable long range efforts by Rhys Alun and Caio Evans respectively were both saved low down by Chirk`s goalkeeper Jack Edwards. It was tough luck on Port at the end of the half. Chirk had created only one clear cut chance in the entire opening 45 and were one goal up. G_R_R_R_R_R!!!!!!

Could Port up their game in the second period? Oh yes, they could……and they did!! Port were at it straight from the re-start and got their just desserts after barely eight minutes when Rhys Alun expertly got on the end of a great run and cross by Jake Jones to steer an unstoppable volley past Edwards who would become a very busy man for the remainder of the game.

Port came close to clinching the match on several occasions . Telor Williams made a tremendous run down the left flank, evading the attentions of three defenders but his shot drifted wide. Then, a Rhys Alun free kick was saved yet again by Edwards. Brookwell was then thwarted by Edwards after a strong run by Gethin Thomas and Cai Jones was foiled by a simply superb save by Edwards as he got two strong hands to his ten yard thunderbolt to divert it to safety over the bar. O!......mam bach!!!! But there was more to come. Rhys Alun slammed another goal-worthy effort against the bar as that man Edwards ( curse him!) got the merest of fingertips on to the ball. Then Brookwell`s volley after a typically mazy run was also saved. Yes, we fully deserved all three points to ease our relegation worries but I guess it`s all about hitting that net with greater frequency. What wouldn`t we give for a lethal goal-happy centre-forward?

The Mathematics is clearly against us now in terms of maintaining our tier 2 status, but the press tells us that the sleuths at the FAW may have something up their sleeve. Let`s just wait and see.

We end our season at Y Traeth on Saturday, April 13th against the champions-in-waiting namely Holywell Town.Though this date could be subject to chnage. Lady Luck, where are you? Daliwn i gredu.

Y Waun / Chirk AAA :- Jack Edwards (GK), Jake Ellison, Tristan Lloyd, Adam Williams (R. Jones 82`), Matty Williams (capt.), Jac Herbert (Brad Pearce 24`), Steffan Rogers (Harvey Edwards 46`), Toby Nash, Louie Middlehurst, Spencer Parrish, Rhys Edwards (M. McLaughlin 65`). Unused sub :- Taylor Jackson. Yellow cards :- Tristan Lloyd (60`), Brad Pearce (61`), Jack Edwards (77`), Jake Elison (83`)

Porthmadog :- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Ryan Williams, Caio Evans, Gethin Thomas (Zac Pike 77`), Rob Jones, Rhys Alun, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell. Unused subs :- Charley McMillan, William Owen-Ford, Jacob Barratt, Aron Catlin-Roberts, Mabon Ilan Owen. Yellow cards :- Ollie Farebrother (26`), Steve Williams ( team manager 35`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Aled Rhys Williams
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Chimezirim Iwueke / David Griffiths
Torf / Attendance :- 120

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

29/03/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.30)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:GALERI HARLECH
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:BELYN FINANCIAL SERVICES
Mascots: Ieuenctid Port Dan 11 / Port Juniors U 11s

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................0

AIRBUS UK .................................3
Sam Baker 54`
Craig Lindfield 62`
James Davies 82`

Porthmadog matched their illustrious opponents blow for blow during the opening half but their immensely loyal and long-suffering supporters were forced for the umpteenth time to endure a typical second half collapse which came about courtesy of the visitors` superior fitness and composure.

Port got off to a fairly promising start when Danny Brookwell was sent clean through on goal only to see his left-footed effort blocked by a timely intervention by centre- back Daniel Wood.

Airbus` first serious effort on goal came in the 15th minute when Sam Rickett rose well to send his firm header narrowly wide. Then, barely ten minutes later, the visitors again came close to opening the scoring when a slick rehearsed move gave an Airbus frontman a good chance but his effort appeared to be cleared off the line. On the half hour mark, Brookwell again did well for Port as his left footer from distance was comfortably gathered low to his left by Keighan Jones. The half ended scoreless and this was a fair reflection on the opening 45 minutes.

The second half opened with a commendable shot at goal by Port`s Rhys Alun which was safely gathered by the keeper at his near post but a few minutes later, Port conceded a very soft looking goal when the hitherto impeccable Ryan Williams puzzlingly allowed a pass to go over his head into the box and Sam Baker nipped in to send the ball low and wide of Farebrother to open the scoring. Thereafter, Farebrother made an excellent double save as the Airmen grew in confidence.

The game was all but over for the home fans when a very fine move down the left flank left the Port rearguard cruelly exposed and Jordan Evans` pin-point low cross was calmly tapped home by Craig Lindfield.

Port continued to do their very best but that final telling pass simply wasn`t there today and we rather missed the pace of the suspended Telor Williams down that left wing.

Airbus had the game well and truly by the scruff of the neck by now and they put the icing on the cake in the 82nd minute when , after a corner kick, James Davies, calmly lobbed the ball into the net in front of a posse of statuesque defenders and his effort was greeted by a chorus of deathly silence. Do Airbus have any travelling supporters at all?

It ended 0-3 and Port can have few complaints. The better team won!

On Easter Monday, we travel to fellow-strugglers Chirk AAA for a must-win contest.

Porthmadog :- Oliver Farebrother (Gk), Jake Jones, William Owen-Ford, Nathan Williams, Ryan Williams, Caio Evans, Gethin Thomas (Zac Pike 80`), Rob Jones (Aron Jones 86`), Rhys Alun (Elis Puw 89`), Cai Jones (Capt.), Danny Brookwell (Charley McMillan 86`). Yellow cards :-Jake Jones (36`), Gethin Thomas (41`) Unused sub :- Jacob Barratt

Airbus Uk Broughton :-Mitchell Keighan Jones (GK), Tyler McManus, Kieran Evans, Joseph Palmer (capt.) (Daniel Collins (86`), Daniel Wood, Sam Rickett, Jordan Evans (Kaiden Cooke 76`), George Peers (Ryan Edwards 45`), Craig Lindfield, Sam Baker (James Davies 64`), Oliver Lancely (Nick Rushton 76`). Unused subs :- Dawid Sczepaniak, Elliott Orton
Yellow card:- Craig Lindfield (67`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Conor Charlton-Fleming
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Ryan Mark Hughes , Jamie Monk
Torf / Attendance :- 301

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

16/03/2024 Cymru North Venue: Clos Mutton Cegidfa / Guilsfield (k.o 2.30pm)

GUILSFIELD .........................................4
Adam Knott 42'
Jake Cook 45'+ 1'
Joe Haycock 73'
Iwan Matthews 76'

CPD PORTHMADOG ................................0

On an afternoon when the Welsh National rugby team were consigned to their first wooden spoon in twenty-one years, CPD Porthmadog all but consigned itself to Tier Three football next season following a comprehensive defeat at the hands of Guilsfield in Mid-Wales. The margin of this defeat was perhaps partly attributable to the absence of two frontmen in the shape of the otherwise engaged Rhys Alun and the hamstrung Danny Brookwell. Depressingly however, Port failed all afternoon to test home goalkeeper Robbie Williams who was a virtual spectator for the bulk of the ninety minutes and Guilsfield`s victory was truly merited.

There came an early warning for Port`s defence when a firm left-footed volley by a Guilsfield attacker on three minutes went narrowly over the bar.

On the quarter-hour mark, however, a great run down the left flank by Cai Jones followed by his deep cross to the far post presented a good headed chance for Zac Pike but his attempted header was blocked by a defender. Caio Evans also came close near the half hour mark after good work down the same wing by Jacob Barratt but again a Guils defender read the situation well and the shot was blocked before troubling the home goalkeeper.

By now, the home team were setting up a series of well-consructed attacks,and, on thirty minutes, Ollie Farebrother was forced into a tremendous diving save to his left to thwart a strong goal-bound effort and shortly afterwards he watched a header bounce to safety off the top of his crossbar. Then,in the fortieth minute, the home side deservedly took the lead when Adam Knott rose well to direct a fine header from a left wing crosss past Farebrother into the corner of the net.

You always felt that another goal was on the cards before the break and thus it transpired during injury time courtesy of a rare goalkeeping error by Farebrother when a well-flighted corner kick by Jake Cook went beyond the keeper`s attempted punch and straight into the goal….just the worst possible time to concede such a relatively soft goal and 2-0 it was at the end of the first period.

Some eight minutes into the second period, a header in the hosts` box was charged down and the follow-up shot by the industrious Josh Banks was also blocked.

Guilsfield made it 3-0 on 73 minutes when a semi-scuffed low shot from twenty yards by Joe Haycock managed to find its way into the corner of the net. Then, a mere three minutes later, Port failed to clear a corner to safety and Iwan Matthews volleyed home from six yards past the helpless Farebrother.

Port did their best in the closing minutes and Elis Puw turned well in the box at the end of a patient foray, but again his firm shot was blocked. Do you know what? They can defend and attack can these Guilsfield chaps!

4-0 it remained and let`s just leave it there.

We shall have to wait until the 29th of this month for Port`s next game when we welcome the high-flying ( tee-hee!) Airbus to Y Traeth (k.o. 2:30).

Guilsfield :- Robbie Williams (GK), Callum Bromley, Jolyon Harries, Izack Lambert, ,Andrew Evans, Iwan Matthews (A. Lloyd 82`), Jake Cook (R. Warder 68`), Chris Cathrall ( Adam Knott (J. Richards 68`), Ellis Turner, Joe Haycock . Unused sub :- Jamie Hyne
Yellow card :- Adam Knott (63`), Nathan Leonard, team manager (42`)

Porthmadog :- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Josh Banks, Caio Evans, Zac Pike ( Ryan Williams 69`), Rob Jones (William Owen-Ford 69`) Gethin Thomas ( Elis Puw 73`), Cai Jones , Jacob Barratt ( Charley McMillan 56`)
Yellow card :- Telor Williams (90 + 1`)

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Iolo Edryd Williams
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Andrew Christopher Dogan, Ian Tuck
Torf / Attendance :- 85

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

09/03/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:TOYOTA HARLECH

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................1
Danny Brookwell 3'

BUCKLEY TOWN .................................3
Josh Allen 55'
Asa Hamilton 80'
Liam Driscoll 90'+ 6'

Prior to today`s kick-off, a minute`s silence was impeccably observed in memory of former Porthmadog manager Johnny Williams who steered Port to two consecutive Welsh League (North) titles as well as the Cookson and Alves cups between 1972 and 1976.

Today`s report is somewhat late as I had the pleasure last night of attending a superb production of Verdi`s opera ‘Macbeth’ by the Mid-Wales Opera Company at ‘Pontio’ in Bangor. Those of you who recall the agonizing process of studying Shakespeare`s original drama in school will know that ‘Macbeth’ is classified by the bard himself as a tragedy. Hmmmm………. this season, that has a very familiar ring to it if you are a Port supporter! On to the football. Port got off to a dream start. Barely three minutes into the match, a long pass by Josh Banks was back-headed by Cai Jones into the path of Danny Brookwell who managed to squeeze his low shot underneath the diving Ryan Goldston from a very narrow angle to put Port ahead. What a great way to celebrate your birthday and to draw level with the departed Shaun Cavanagh on the summit of the top scorer list. Llongyfarchiadau, Danny!

We were eighteen minutes in when Buckley started to worry the Port rearguard as the skilful Max Moore shot just past post after a strong run, and three minutes later, home `keeper Farebrother was called upon to save a close range effort with his legs.

Just before the break, Port came close when a dangerous ball to the far post found Gethin Thomas who passed low into the six yard area but the subsequent shot was blocked and the half ended with the hosts 1-0 up.

In the opening minute of the second period, Port could have well extended their lead when Rhys Alun was sent clean through on goal. However, he delayed his shot for what seemed like an age and the chance was gone. Oh dear!

A few minutes later, Buckley equalized when a close range effort from a corner was parried away by Farebrother but the rebound was booted home by Josh Allen. A minute later, the visitors almost took the lead whan a strong header came off the post. Then, the next piece of meaningful action saw a strong run on goal by Port`s Brookwell from a pass by Zac Pike, but, despite rounding the keeper, he inexplicably blazed his shot over the bar with the goal at his mercy and this was a miss that Port would bitterly regret.

Buckley now gained a very convincing foothold in the match and Port were hanging on somewhat. A ‘goal’ by the visitors was ruled out for off-side with the typically over the top

protests of the visitors winning them few friends. Thereafter, Farebrother pulled off a wonderful one-handed save just below his crossbar to thwart a thunderous Buckley effort.

The turning point arrived on eighty minutes when substitute and player-manager Asa Hamilton won a foot race with Josh Banks before expertly side-footing the ball past the onrushing Farebrother.

In their frantic attempts to draw level, Port set up a few promising attacks but a calamitous pass by a Port defender put Farebrother under huge pressure as the ball was intercepted by Liam Driscoll who did the rest just to underline the afternoon`s ‘tragedy’ (LOL). This, by the way, was in the 96th minute!

It would take a fantasist now to even imagine that we can hold on to our place in Tier Two but we do go again next Saturday when we visit seventh-placed Guilsfield. Let`s hope we can turn tragedy into a mini-victory.

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Caio Evans, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams ,Josh Banks, Gethin Thomas, William Owen-Ford (Zac Pike 58`), Rob Jones, Rhys Alun, Cai Jones (Ryan Williams 50`), Danny Brookwell (Jacob Barratt 72`). Yellow card :- Oliver Farebrother (84`), Gethin Thomas (90+1`),
Unused subs :- Deion Hughes, Elis Puw, Mabon Owen, Charley McMillan

Buckley Town:- Ryan Goldston (GK), Adam Smith, Dylan Roberts, Nicholas Grogan, Josh Allen, Scott McHarrie, Sam McCormick, Joshua Jones, Liam Driscoll, Max Moore (Daniel Burgess 90+3`), Aled Bellis (Asa Hamilton 76`). Yellow card :- Dylan Roberts (82`)
Unused subs :- Christopher Roberts, N/A

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Richard Lee Wright
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Jamie Monk, Ian Tuck
Torf / Attendance :- 202

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

02/03/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:GARY FALCONER ELECTRICALS
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:CARIAD CARE HOMES

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................0

GRESFORD ATHLETIC .........................1
Charley Edge 87'

Before today`s game, a minute`s applause was held in memory of Port lad Michael Holt who tragically passed away while rowing solo for charitable causes across the Atlantic. A brave soul indeed!

Oh, dear………Porthmadog supporters have to go back all the way back to October 21st, 2023 to recall our last win at Y Traeth, and today, our loyal throng endured a disappointing defeat as we yielded an equally disappointing goal in the 87` minute.

The first half was a pretty evenly contested affair. Gresford were immediately out of the blocks and could well have taken the lead in the very first minute when, at the end of a quick burst down the right wing, a visiting attacker was unfortunate to trip over the ball with the goal seemingly at his mercy and the ball was cleared to safety.

Port soon settled after this and a good run down the left flank by Danny Brookwell ended with the striker drawing a smart save by Dutton low to his left at his near post.

Shortly after the twenty minute mark, Port came desperately close to opening the scoring when a fine header by Jake Jones at the far post came off the upright from a corner kick. Rotten luck!

On thirty-two minutes, Port keeper and player of the month for February, Oliver Farebrother made a very good save from a Buxton (?) header, punching over the bar as he back-pedalled.

This proved to be the final significant action of the half which ended goalless.

Early in the second half, Port`s Rhys Alun found himself in a good central position in the box but the ball refused to come down for him in time to take on the shot after a great delivery into the box by Brookwell and a timely tackle saved the situation for the visitors. Then a slick overhead kick by Nathan Williams from a corner kick just lacked the power to test Dutton.

From the hour mark, the game became more open and the visitors were beginning to look more threatening. Indeed, Farebrother had to make two good last-ditch saves as the Athletic pressed for a possible winner.

In the 84th minute, however, a very commendable free kick by Rhys Alun sailed over Gresford`s defensive wall, but, for all its power, went straight at Lewis Dutton.

Port hearts were broken in the 87th minute when a well hit free kick somewhat surprisingly had the beating of the hitherto excellent Farebrother. Was he unsighted or was he deceived in the flight as he stood rooted to his line? Either way, Charlie Edge`s shot proved to be the winner and Port have an Everest to climb to avoid relegation. Don`t shoot the messenger!

We go again next Saturday, when we shall welcome Buckley Town to Y Traeth with a 2:p.m. kick-off.

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams ,Josh Banks, Caio Evans, William Owen-Ford (Gethin Thomas 70`), Rob Jones (Charley McMillan 90`), Rhys Alun , Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell. Yellow card :- Rhys Alun
Unused subs :- Zac Pike, Steffan Gittins, Deion Hughes, Elis Puw, Aaron Catlin Roberts.

Gresford Athletic :- Lewis Dutton (GK), Nathan Williams, Adam Hesp, Paul Johnson, Joshua Griffiths, Dominic Deacon ( Callum Mannion 64`), Charlie Edge, Alex Buxton (Charlie Mann 45+2`), Jordan Powell, Toby Gallagher-Keen, Haci Ozlu. Unused subs :- James Smith, Joe Chaplin, Leon Bennett, Jack Roberts.

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Andy Harms
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Martin William Roberts, Peter Michael Owen
Torf / Attendance :- 216

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

17/02/2024 Cymru North Venue: Parc Victoria Llanidloes (k.o 2.00pm)
LLANIDLOES TOWN ....................................1
Adam Worton 52'

CPD PORTHMADOG .....................................2
Caio Evans 9'.
Rhys Alun 43'

And then it was two .... Yes back to back wins on the road for Port and is there a glimmer of hope that Steve Williams can do the impossible and lead Port to safety? Surely not? But still six to go.

But to achieve this he will require resolution and determination in abudance from his players and a little slice of assistance from Lady Luck who, until now, has been conspicuous by her absence from the Traeth.

Two visits to mid-Wales and six points in the bag, both with a 2-1 scoreline and all that, that scoreline means in terms of nail-biting in the final stages of praying and urging the referee to blow for time. But it had all started as if to order, for with just 9 minutes on the clock Port found the net, just what was needed to settle the team, the management and the fans. Caio Evans, one of the club’s outstanding youngesters, with perfect timing netted his very first goal for the club. A well judged pass from the ever busy Gareth Jones Evans set up the opportunity for Caio and he took full advantage to net with a low drive.

Port went on to enjoy the best of the opening half and they could have added to their goal earlier in the proceedings. Then with half-time just a couple of minutes away Rhys Alun put the icing of the cake of a very satisfactory first 45 minutes, netting his first goal since New Year’s Day. Gethin Thomas, who had been an early replacement for Gareth Jones Evans, provided the assist with Rhys Alun beating keeper Luke Evans to meet the cross scoring from close range -another excellent piece of timing. 2-0 at the interval.

But if the travelling fans spent a relaxing half-time the post interval action proved anything but relaxing as Llanidloes made clear that the game was anything but all over.

First the Daffs were awarded a penalty on 50’ mins. Elliott Jones aimed his penalty to the keeper’s left but Ollie Farebrother stood his ground and completed the save much to Port’s relief. But that relief was short lived as anorher opportunity followed two minutes later when the Daffs were awarded a free kick just outside the box . Up stepped the experienced player-coach Adam Worton to send a corker of a dead ball kick into the top corner, this time giving Farebrother no chance to rescue Port.

Still 40 mins remaining on the clock and the comfortable lead at the half way mark suddenly seemed rather slender. It was now a very different story to the first half with the home side applying the pressure on Farebrother’s goal and the Port keeper called into action making numerous important saves to maintain the Port advantage. Despite th pressure, the Port defence stuck to their task to see out a difficult second half and prevailed to repeat their narrow success against Caersws last weekend.

Two consecutive home games now await Port starting with the visit of Gresford Athletic next Saturday with the aim of making it three in a row, A week later Buckley Town are the visitors to the Traeth.
,br> Support the lads for these vital fixtures. Hope springs eternal!!

Porthmadog: Ollie Farebrother, Jake Jones, Telor Williams,Nathan Williams Josh Banks, Rob Jones (Josh Barratt 62', Charley McMilland 90'+2') Gareth Jones Evans (Gethin Thomas ), Caio Evans, Rhys Alun, Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell. Unused subs: Steff Gittins, Will Owen-Ford.
Yellow: Rob Jones 50', Josh Barratt 86'

Llanidloes: Luke Evans, Ellis Jones, Luke Boundford, Dave Reynolds, Adam Worton, Edward Clarke, Dave Allen, Connor Bird (H Clarke 46'), George Clarke, Joshua Hartrick (R Evans 26'), Nyasha Mwamuka (G Owen 87'). Unused subs: D Williams
Yellow: N Nwamuka 16', Edward Clarke 70', Dave Reynolds 80', H Clarke 84'.

swyddogion / Officials: Karl Berry, Chimezirim Iwueke, Tomos Huw Jones
Torf / Attendance: 143

Apologies our usual match reporters Treflyn Joones and Dylan Rees were not available this weekend.

17/02/2024 Cymru North Venue: Parc Latham Y Drenewydd / Newtown (k.o 2.00pm)
CAERSWS ............................................1
Rhys Hesden 60'

CPD PORTHMADOG .....................................2
Danny Brookwell 45'+3', 59'.

Hir yw pob ymaros!..............Worth the wait? Yes!

At last, CPD Porthmadog halted a long and depressing run of ten consecutive league defeats as they somewhat unexpectedly took all three points off a good Caersws outfit in a nerve-shredding match staged at Newtown`s impressive Latham Park, thus beginning the long and arduous trek to survival (maybe!) within the second tier of Welsh domesticfootball.

It was the hosts who started the brighter of the two sides as a firm left-footed shot from inside the box went straight into Ollie Farebrother`s grateful arms after eight minutes, whereas it took all of fifteen minutes before Port produced their first meaningful threat when a low and dangerous cross by Telor Williams was headed away with urgency for a corner. A few minutes later, however, Caersws presented the Port rearguard with two very anxious moments. Firstly, a shot from just outside the box took an awkwardly high deflection which was expertly tipped over by the alert Farebrother and then the busy Port custodian did very well to dive low to his left to parry a worthy effort by Cws` marauding left-winger. Then, a firm header had Ollie well-beaten before cannoning off the crossbar. Phew! At this stage, Caersws were playing very well with slick and accurate passing movements, and, shortly before the half hour mark, a teasing corner kick to Port`s far post was headed into the side-netting. Had Port weathered the storm for once?

Bang on the half hour mark, Port, who were often building patiently from the back, produced a promising run by Danny Brookwell down the right but his dangerous low pass into the box was not converted.

There were all of 48 minutes on the clock when Caersws keeper Steffan Harri was given his very first test of the match when the excellent right back Jamie Jones carelessly gave the ball away to to the hitherto subdued Brookwell. However, the Anglesey hot-shot took full advantage as he glided past two defenders before unleashing a tremendous left foot drive which burst through both Steffan`s hands as he dived full-length to his left and the ball bulged the corner of the net. After all the anxiety and pressure, Port ended the half 1-0 up to the unbridled joy of the visiting bench and the Port faithful.

If the first half was tense (from a Port point of view), then the second period gave some of us older chaps rather horrible teenage memories of watching ‘The Exorcist’ at the Coliseum! Port are not traditionally regarded as counter-attackers, but this they achieved as they successfully repulsed wave after wave of Caersws pressure. The hosts had already hit the woodwork in the first half and they were to reproduce this “feat” twice in the second period. Moreover, Ollie Farebrother made several excellent last-ditch saves and dealt admirably with crosses to keep Port in the game.

Port`s second breakthrough arrived shortly before the hour mark. The ever-improving Gethin Thomas broke quickly in midfield before releasing the mercurial Brookwell down the right flank. He was driven wide by three defenders but still found space to angle his low shot past the erstwhile West End tenor, Steffan Harri, to the tune of wild celebrations by the Port players. Would you believe it? 0-2!

It was now Caersws` turn to truly test the visitors` defence and they duly reduced the arrears on the hour mark as yet another scary cross was headed against the post. This time Rhys Hesden was on hand to bundle a left-footed volley past Farebrother and all Port fans had to endure flashbacks of last week`s extraordinary comeback by Llandudno. Oh, no!

During the last six minutes or so, the Port defence was under sustained pressure but Farebrother came to the rescue with a superb point-blank save. Port held out this time and the hard-working visitors went home with all three points and our first league victory since October 21st when we edged 3-1 against Prestatyn at Y Traeth! Everybody on that pitch had played their part and had given their all.

Next Saturday, we must do it all again as we visit fellow strugglers Llanidloes with a 2:00p.m. kick-off. Daliwch ati, Port bach!

Caersws :- Steffan Harri (Gk), Jamie Jones, Craig Harris, Callum Bennett, Harry Cottam, Ashley Harries (C. Francis-Jones 14`), Neil Mitchell , George Mitten, Rhys Hesden, Callum Graybrook (W. Evans 45`), Sam Phillips.
Unused subs :-Jack Perry, Joe Cook, Tyler Ratcliff, Jake Darren Thomas Jones. Yellow card :- George Mitten (44`)

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Rob Jones 33`), Caio Evans, Gareth Jones-Evans , Gethin Thomas (Jacob Barratt 75`), Rhys Alun , Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell. Yellow card :- Danny Brookwell (85`)
Unused subs :- Charley McMillan, Steffan Gittins, Elis Puw, Zac Pike, William Owen-Ford

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Mark James
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Peter Michael Owen, Nathan James Alexander
Torf / Attendance :- 136

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

10/02/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:BELYN FINANCIAL SERVICES
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................2
Danny Brookwell 8'
Gethin Thomas 12'

LLANDUDNO ..................................3
Rowan Davies 84'
Fabrizio Murtas 90'+4'
Karl Clair 90'+8'

Porthmadog slumped to their tenth consecutive defeat of the season on a bright (for the neutral!) afternoon. To make matters worse from a Port point of view, the visitors sealed the victory deep, deep, deep into injury time.

Things started oh so brightly for the hosts, and then………

Well, the first half was simply crammed with positives for the home side. They attacked with enthusiasm and were duly rewarded in the eighth minute, when, after good work by Cai Jones and Rhys Alun, the utterly excellent Danny Brookwell found himself free in the box and expertly tapped home past Mike Jones in the Llandudno goal. 1-0 to Port. Some five minutes later, Port went further ahead, when, for the second time in the match, a Danny Brookwell corner kick landed on top of the the crossbar. This time, however, Gethin Thomas was determined enough to head it home via the underside of the bar. 2-0 up and (whisper it!) looking rather comfortable. Indeed, throughout the half ,the Port backline was rarely troubled apart from some dangerous runs from their lively winger Ethan Roberts and a few good runs from former Port winger Alex Boss on the other flank. Port went into their dressing room at the break 2-0 up and deservedly so.

After 65 minutes, there was a big let-off for Port as Llan`s Ethan Roberts taunted the Port defence, wrong-footed his marker and then blazed over with only Farebrother to beat.

From then on, it was mainly Llandudno who were doing the attacking and were first to everything due to their vastly superior physical stamina which became more and more apparent as the half wore on. However, Danny Brookwell twice burst into the Llandudno box. On the first occasion, he was seemingly brought down, but the ref, to Port`s disbelief was carded for ‘simulation’ and, on the second occasion, he shot way over the bar. On seventy-six minutes, however, Brookwell was (puzzlingly!!!!) substituted. Why, why, why would you take off your very best player with the game still in the balance?

It was in the 84th minute that Llandudno scored their first goal. Port failed to clear an almighty scramble just inside the box, and somehow, Rowan Davies managed to squeeze his shot into the corner of the net beyond Farebrother`s full-length dive.

Josh Banks was sent off shortly afterwards after what was deemed to be a second yellow card offence. Conveniently, from a Llandudno point of view, the referee had completely ignored a bad foul on a Port player seconds before this incident. There is, I`m afraid, a very clear message here, namely that if you harass a referee non-stop for ninety minutes especially when it comes to a fairly clear foul, at this level, he WILL give you what you want. We have seen it ‘ad nauseam’ in this league. I am very proud to say that Port players don`t do this! But why does every single team east of Bangor (Llandudno included) behave in this abhorrent manner?

In the 94th minute, Fabrizio Murtas unleashed a shot from the edge of the area which hit the back of the net with Oliver Farebrother possibly unsighted…..2-2 and the referee had found even more minutes from somewhwere.

Finally, after 98 minutes, Llandudno broke Port hearts into a million pieces. A strong run down the right flank was followed by a low, dangerous cross which was bravely parried by Farebrother as he dived amidst a sea of legs. However, the tiring Port defenders failed to clear the danger and Karl Clair`s shot crept over the line via the underside of the bar. To Llandudno the spoils. Enough said!

Next Saturday, we travel to Caersws for another league encounter with a 2;p.m. kick-off. We shall also look forward to the Q+A session …….the date yet to be announced.

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Jacob Barratt 51`), Caio Evans, Gareth Jones-Evans ( Steffan Gittins 85`), Gethin Thomas, Rhys Alun (Zac Pike (85`), Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell ( Charley McMillan 76`) Red card (2 yellows):- Josh Banks (87`+88`), Danny Brookwell (76`), Cai Jones (33`), Gethin Thomas (13`)
Unused subs :- Meilir Ellis (GK), Mabon Ilan Owen, William Owen-Ford.

Llandudno :- Mike Jones (GK), Stephen Brown, Steven Stanic-Floody, McKenzie Slaven, Rowan Davies, Ethan Roberts, Luca Bennett (I. Giampaoli 86`), Fabrizio Murtas, Alex Boss ( R. Weaver 46`), Karl Clair, Liam Ellis ( D. Holland 65`) Yellow card :- D. Holland(73`),
Unused subs :- Jenson Gee, Cameron Barry, Theo Knight.

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Conor Fleming-Charlton
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Tom Crofts, Jamie Monk
Torf / Attendance :- 257

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

02/02/2024 Cymru North Venue: Central Park (k.o 8.00)
DENBIGH TOWN .......................................3
Josh Lock 9'
Paul Fleming 54'
Nathan Brown 86'

CPD PORTHMADOG .....................................1
Nathan Williams 72'

Port's poor run of results continues after a 3-1 loss at Central Park, Denbigh. A very strong and organised home side were deserved winners on the night, but Port played their part in an entertaining match, with a better performance than last Saturday.

Played on a carpet of a pitch the first few minutes were quite even, but on 9' minutes Denbigh's Paul Fleming fed Josh Lock who drilled the ball past a helpless Farebrother to make it 1-0 giving the home side the best start possible only adding to Port’s already difficult task.

Midway through the 1st half Port's new signing Charley McMillan beat the offside trap and ran through on goal but completely mishit his shot and a good opportunity was gone.

On 30' minutes as the home side looked to increase their lead Matthew Worrall squared the ball to Sion Jones and his effort was tipped over the bar by Port's Farebrother. Then on 44' minutes, as Denbigh pressure continued, both Fleming and Worrall missed clear chances to add to Port’s woes but thanks to good work by Farebrother and poor finishing from Denbigh it remained 1-0 at half time.

Denbigh started the 2nd half as they finished the first half, with both Lock and Worrall again denied by Farebrother.

On 51 minutes Worrall was through on goal with only Farebrother to beat but fired his shot wide of the post. The hosts however went on to extend their lead on 54' minutes with Ben Lockley providing the assist playing a great ball for Denbigh's captain Paul Fleming and the skipper rifled his shot into the roof of the net making it 2-0 to the home side.

A few minutes later and Port's former Denbigh player, Jacob Barratt, took a free kick 25 yards out but sent it narrowly past the post. This seemed to give Port some much needed confidence and on 66'minutes another Barratt effort was cleared by Denbigh's goalkeeper Aaron Jones and when Gethin Thomas followed up, his shot was blocked by the Denbigh defence.

On 72' Port made a breakthrough as Nathan Williams bundled the ball over the line after Denbigh's goalkeeper failed to deal with a corner from Danny Brookwell making it 2-1. Port supporters sensed a comeback as the balance of play now changed.

However Denbigh had other ideas and on 86 minutes as they broke on the half way line thanks to Owen Davies, who played a superb ball through to Nathan Brown who finished with an excellent shot past Farebrother into the far corner of the net. This made the final score 3-1 to the home side

What now for Port as they move onto the last 9 matches? Next we welcome Llandudno to Y Traeth on Saturday 10th February with a 2pm kick off and hopefully a change of fortune.

Denbigh: Aaron Jones, Ben Lockley, Will Holmes, Dan Parry-Jones, Sion Jones (K Cooper 79’), Keiron Roberts, Josh Lock, Dion Gibbins, Paul Fleming (Kristian Pierce 87’), Matt Worrall (O Davies 64’). Nathan Brown (O Hansen 87’).
Yellow: B Lockley 89’. Unused subs J McHarrie (gk).

Porthmadog, Ollie Farebrother, Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis ( Jacob Barratt 42’), Josh Banks (Gareth Jones Evans 57’), Caio Evans, Rob Jones, Gethin Thomas (Steffan Gittins 79’), Cai Jones (Rhys Alun 79’), Charley McMillan (Danny Brookwell 57’).
Yellow: Rob Jones 73’, Danny Brookwell 90’. Unused subs: Zak Pike, Iddon Price.

Swyddogion / Officials Elwyn Rhys Parry, Jake Smith, Harvey Williams.
Torf / Attendance; 308

Report : Dylan Rees

27/01/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:TOYOTA HARLECH
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:HAYDN E WILLIAMS Syrfewyr Siartredig / Chartered Surveyors

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................0

LLANIDLOES TOWN ............................1
Connor Bird 83'

If you truly fear that something awful is about to happen, then, very often, it does. The worst possible outcome befell CPD Porthmadog today as they slumped to a home defeat at the hands of second-from-bottom club Llanidloes thus condemning Port to a heartbreaking 8th consecutive league defeat and the likelihood of spending next season back in Tier Three where we frankly do not belong.

After a cagey opening few minutes, Port came very close to opening the scoring on the 10th minute mark when the effervescent Danny Brookwell broke clear of the visitors` defence and unleashed a strong shot which was saved by keeper Luke Evans` trailing leg as he was sent the wrong way. Barely a minute later, Port`s custodian Oliver Farebrother did very well to hold on to a firm close range shot by a Llan attacker.

Midway through the first half, Port were beginning to exert territorial dominance and came close to scoring on three occasions. From a Brookwell free kick, Telor Williams turned well in the box but his shot was saved by the keeper`s knees. There then followed a strong run by Gethin Thomas but his worthy effort from distance went straight at Luke Evans again and a corner kick was headed narrowly wide by Telor. Then it was Llani`s turn again as Farebrother had to scramble to his right to make a diving save on his line from a somewhat scuffed effort.

The first half ended scoreless. All to play for!

Early on in the second half, Rhys Alun was presented with arguably the most clear-cut scoring chance of the match as he latched on to a super cross-field pass. With only Luke Evans to beat, he rather surprisingly tried to round the keeper and in the process was shepherded into too wide a position to score and a glorious opener was spurned. The reporter may well be criticized for the next observation but this time it`s ‘print and be damned’………..We simply must be putting chances like this one away!

Port thereafter continued to attack with commendable patience and discipline but were reduced to half-chances at best with the visitors defending strongly especially in the aerial battles.

The almost expected disaster occurred in the 80th minute. Both our central defenders had disappeared from the scene in favour of attack-minded substitutes and when a high ball eluded the Port defence, Connor Bird found himself unmarked and slid his shot underneath Farebrother. If we don`t score, the other guys will, I guess.

Port continued to attack and Llani defended with much physicality. (Just ask Danny Brookwell who was frequently man-handled with both arms with no no sanction whatsoever by referee Mr. Richard Lee Wright.) But there was no fairy-tale ending.

Believe it or not, there were a few positives to take from the match as it has to be said that all our relatively ‘new boys’ acquitted themselves well. For the uninitiated, here they are :- Oliver Farebrother in goal. Jake Jones, Rob Jones, Gethin Thomas, Jacob Barratt (sub), Steffan Gittins (sub). It was also nice to see Josh Banks back in the fold as he came on as a second-half substitute.

This coming Friday evening, we travel to Denbigh Town for another league encounter (k.o. 8.00pm).

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Iddon Price (Josh Banks 68`), Gruff Ellis (Jacob Barratt 45`), Nathan Williams (capt.), Caio Evans, Rob Jones, Rhys Alun (Steffan Gittins 83`) , Gethin Thomas (Cai Jones 68`) , Danny Brookwell.
Unused subs :- Stuart Rogers, Zac Pike, Elis Puw Yellow cards :- Iddon Price (45+3`), Telor Williams (86`)

Llanidloes:- Luke Evans (GK), Nyasha Mwamuka, Elliot Jones, Dewi Allen, Daniel Lewis (Gareth Owen 77`), Adam Worton, Edward Clarke (capt.), George Clarke, Connor Bird, Luke Boundford, Joshua Hartrick Yellow cards:-Josh Hartrick(43`)R Elliot Jones (73`), Nyasha Mwamuka (86`)
Unused subs :- Sergio Gomes, Lorne Samual Scane

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Richard Lee Wright
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Harvey Smallman, Tom Crofts
Torf / Attendance :- 237

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

20/01/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:TANRONNEN INN Beddgelert
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:Bwydydd OREN Foods

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................1
Danny Brookwell 45'+1''

MOLD ALEX ..........................................2
Eric Durnell 39'
Danny Warren 83'

Luckless Porthmadog slumped to a sixth successive league defeat at a wet and windy Traeth, thus condemning themselves to an unwanted place in the relegation zone for the first time this season, and, just to rub salt into the wound, it was Port`s perennial tormentor Danny Warren who eventually ensured this late and largely undeserved defeat for the hard-working hosts.

After an even opening ten minutes, Port`s Danny Brookwell fashioned a very presentable scoring chance which was horribly scuffed when well-placed before a speculative shot from distance by midfielder Rob Jones flew just over the bar. Then, a free kick in a dangerous position for Mold from just outside the area was well parried by Port`s keeper Farebrother and Danny Warren`s attempted follow-up was blocked by a well-timed sliding tackle by Iddon Price. A minute later, however, Mold took the lead when a slick through ball was well-controlled by Eric Durnell before slotting the ball beneath Oliver Farebrother.

Port continued to produce promising attacking moves and deservedly equalized a minute into added on time at the end of the half. After excellent work by both Rhys Alun and Telor Williams, Danny Brookwell skillfully evaded a couple of defenders before smashing the ball low and hard past the helpless Alex Swindell leaving the score at one-apiece at the interval.

The visitors were first out of the blocks at the start of the second half as Dafydd Griffiths squirted a rather tame shot past Farebrother`s upright and Danny Warren shot narrowly over the bar. It was then Port`s turn when a terrific left foot shot by Brookwell was met with an equally fine stop by Swindell on his near post. Brookwell then counter-attacked with pace but disappointingly decided not to pass to an equally rapid Gethin Thomas who would otherwise have found himself with a clear path towards goal and a promising build-up was snuffed out .

With nine minutes remaining on the clock, debutant Jacob Barratt who had come on to replace Iddon Price, was presented with a free header from a fine cross from the left flank but his firm header went straight into the grateful arms of Alex Swindell. Then barely a minute later, that man Warren sealed Port`s fate as he squeezed the ball past Farebrother with admirable composure.

It was tough luck indeed on a Port side who,yet again, failed to take the majority of their goal-scoring opportunities. I`m sure even the most ardent Mold fan would confess that their hosts were full value for a draw at the very least, but Lady Luck (damn her to the darkest bowels of hell!) condemned Port to what may well be a very damaging defeat. From looking very comfortable as recently as late November, we now find ourselves in a relegation dog-fight. However, much to supporters` relief, we have been reliably informed that the players, under its new management team, have at last agreed to a strict twice-weekly training regime which may yet see us clamber our way by our fingernails to Tier 2 safety.

Next Saturday, we welcome fellow-strugglers Llanidloes to Y Traeth. C`mon Port…..let`s turn that corner. You CAN do it!

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (GK), Jake Jones, Telor Williams, Iddon Price (Jacob Barratt 69`), Gruff Ellis, Nathan Williams (capt.), Caio Evans, Rob Jones, Rhys Alun (Steffan Gittins 69`), Gethin Thomas ( Zac Pike 89`), Danny Brookwell.
Unused sub :- Stuart Rogers. Yellow cards :- Oliver Farebrother (36`), Steve Williams (manager 16`), Telor Williams (87`)

Yr Wyddgrug / Mold Alex:- Alex Swindell (GK), Matthew Lewis, Sion McHugh, Joshua Watkin, Ryan Coney ( A. Smith 87`), Danny Warren, Samuel Duffy ( J. Ormrod 69`), Eric Durnell ( N. Mendoza 70`), Rhys Nash ( C. Davies 74`), Dafydd Griffith, Henry Nash.
Unused sub :- Luke McManus Yellow card :-Rhys Nash (36`),

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Aled Rhys Williams
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Craig Griffiths, Ian Tuck
Torf / Attendance :- 231

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

13/01/2024 Cymru North Venue: Bastion Gardens (k.o 2.00)
PRESTATYN .......................................3
Alfie Vaughan 25', 29'
T Weir 80'

CPD PORTHMADOG .............................2
Danny Brookwell 22'
Tom Mahoney 76'

‘Penderfynol / Determined’ is the bi-lingual motto of Prestatyn Town F.C. and you will see it etched on the players` badges on their shirts. Well, it was precisely this mentality which got the home side over the line today in a dour, hard-fought struggle played on a very poor playing surface.

Port started well enough and there were early chances for Danny Brookwell, who should perhaps have at least hit the target, and for Rhys Alun who could not bring the ball under his control when well-placed. Prestatyn also came close on two occasions during the opening twenty minutes but both efforts from good positions went wide of the upright. Also, Nathan Williams for Port was unlucky to see his header cannoning off the crossbar from an in-swinging corner kick.

Shortly after the 20 minute mark, Port took the lead when Brookwell latched on to a defence-splitting pass by Iddon Price and, after beating his marker for pace, calmly slotted the ball home under the body of the onrushing Mike Jones in the home goal.

Very disappointingly, however, Prestatyn equalized barely two minutes later when a telling cross into the Port box found 18-year old Alfie Vaughan in space and he finished with the sweetest of volleys giving the debutant Oliver Farebrother no chance. All square!

Three minutes later, the home side gained a slice of luck to go ahead when a close range shot by Vaughan was initially blocked and a lucky ricochet went into the net past the grounded Fare brother. In the space of five minutes, the game had been turned (depressingly for the travelling Port fans) completely on its head.

Port continued to attack albeit with too many ‘hit and hope’ long balls…….an approach which the team does not usually use but perhaps they felt compelled to do so due to the challenging conditions underfoot.

On the stroke of half-time, Port players and officials were very incensed indeed when we were denied a penalty after Rhys Alun had been brought down in the box after being sent clear on goal. It will be very interesting to see our version of VAR (‘Teledu Port’) to judge the validity or otherwise of our claims! However, to the almost unbridled anger of the Port players, the half ended 2-1 in the home side`s favour.

In the second half, Mike Jones in the home goal was the busier of the two goalkeepers and he was lucky to witness a Gruff Ellis header coming off the crossbar from another corner and the custodian had to be alert to hold on to a low effort by Port`s Gethin Thomas. The marauding Alfie Vaughan also came close for the hosts as his strong drive from twenty yards flew narrowly past the upright.

Then, on 76 minutes, Port drew level when a left footed free kick by substitute Tom Mahoney took Mike Jones by surprise and somehow squirmed into the back of the net. 2-2!

The joy and relief of the Port faithful was to be very short-lived. A smart move down the left-wing put Thomas Weir free on goal and he made no mistake as he slid the ball under the diving Farebrother. From a Prestatyn point of view it was a very well-worked goal, but honestly, our defenders can`t defend a toy castle these days!

It ended 3-2 to the hosts. On the balance of play, a draw would have been a much fairer result but, for the second Saturday in succession, football has once again shown its cruel side to CPD Porthmadog.

We go again next Saturday against Mold Alexandra at Y Traeth (k.o. :- 2:00 p.m.) when we will all pray for a minor miracle! As Eifion Pugh and Mark Owen so eloquently put it on FB this week, “Relegation is not an option” and to avoid such a debacle, we too could do with a substantial dose of ‘PENDERFYNOL’!!!!

Prestatyn Town:- Mike Jones (G.K.), Emmanuel Lawal, Ashley Seddon, Anthony Jones, Harvey Gordon, Richard Hill, Alfie Vaughan, Matthew Pleavin, Tom Hilditch, Thomas Weir, Gregory Hall. Substitutes (all unused according to the app) :- Cale Kemp, Isaac Hall, Michael Webster. Yellow card :- Tom Hilditch(54`)

Porthmadog:- Oliver Farebrother (G.K.), Nathan Williams, Telor Williams, Iddon Price, Gruff Ellis, Gethin Thomas (Tom Mahoney 71`), Caio Evans, Rhys Alun (Zac Pike 85`), Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell, Rob Jones (Stuart Rogers 65`) . Unused sub :- Elis Puw
Yellow cards :- Danny Brookwell (45+3`)Tom Mahoney (76`)

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Karl Berry Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Alun Davies, Rheinallt Davies
Torf / Attendance :- 152

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

06/01/2024 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:The Grassroots Football Supporters BCJJ
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:The Grassroots Football Supporters BCJJ

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................2
Danny Brookwell 20'
Nathan Williams 82'

RUTHIN TOWN .......................................3
Soulayman El Amri 8', 14;,77'

Yn y lle cyntaf, llongyfarchiadau i Caio Evans ar gael ei ethol fel Chwaraewr y Mis am fis Rhagfyr. First and foremost, heartiest congratulations go to Caio Evans on clinching the Player of the Month award for December. Moreover, I do believe this was his second win on the trot having been nominated for November 2023 in addition. Quite an achievement!

Sadly, however, our beloved team continues to underachieve on the pitch and were given a mountain to climb after the visitors had taken a two goal lead after a mere twelve minutes of play.

Yes, it`s fair to say that it was our visitors from the Vale of Clwyd who started the brighter. After only six minutes, they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Port box after a foul by Tom Mahoney. The ball was slickly relayed to Soulayman al Amri who blasted an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net. Then, el Amri doubled his account thanks to some questionable defending all round. A Rhuthun attacker waltzed his way with considerable grace and ease into the Port box where, regrettably, home keeper Alex Ward-Jones chose to deal with the danger through the use of his feet rather than his arms and body. His tackle merely squirmed its way timidly to el Amri who calmly tapped home to double Rhuthun`s advantage.

It was much to Port`s credit that they fought tooth and nail for the the remainder of the half to try and gain a foothold in the match and this they achieved courtesy of a great left-footed strike into the top corner of the net by Danny Brookwell who was easily the hardest-working player on the pitch. My word!......... if we had eleven like him, we would win this league at a canter rather than finding ourselves staring down that nauseous trap-door back to Tier Three.

Following this life-line, the game became a more even affair with Port creating some half-chances including a worthy left-foot drive by Brookwell which was smartly gathered at the foot of his post by Daniel Goldston. At the other end, the Port defenders had to look to their laurels on several occasions to deal with the superior pace of Ruthin`s attackers. Indeed, there were times when we were out-sprinted by the likes of Llyr Morris and el Amri. However the half ended 1-2 with the hosts very much in the picture still.

Port played very well indeed at the start of the second half and might well have equalized if it were not for that somewhat wayward final pass into the box. We were also, at times, guilty of delaying the shot and attempting to take on one defender too many.

As the second half entered its final third, Ruthin, rather against the run of play, increased their lead when a mis-placed pass by Ward-Jones was efficiently re-cycled by the Ruthin frontmen and that man el Amri completed his hat-trick by slotting calmly past the onrushing home keeper. Oh, dear!

With barely six minutes of normal time left, Port gained a deserved second goal when a well-floated in-swinging corner by debutant Gethin Thomas was headed home by Nathan Williams as he out-jumped Goldston in the visitors` goal. Could we force a draw? No! It was just not to be.

Port clearly need further signings especially in what we politely call ‘key positions’. Anyway, our fighting spirit in the second half was at least commendable and let`s hope for more of the same along with a dose of ‘lady luck’ at Prestatyn next Saturday (k.o.:- 2p.m.)

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Iddon Price, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis , Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney, Gethin Thomas (Stuart Rogers 89`), Zak Pike (Elis Puw 78`), Cai Jones, Danny Brookwell , Yellow cards :- Iddon Price (50`), Gruff Ellis (60`) Unused subs :- Deion Hughes, Mabon Owen, Aron Catlin Roberts

Rhuthun :- Daniel Goldston (GK), Joel Giblin, Tyrese Caines, Vita Mbolokele, Tom Dyer (capt.), Ethan Davies (L. Holmans 58`), Soulayman el Amri, Harry Martin, Owain Llyr Morris, Jake Hughes-Hampson, Sam Jones (J. Clark 66`). Yellow card :- Ethan Davies (28`) Unused subs :- Morgan Edmunds (GK), Gwion Williams, Sean Kell, Tom Griffiths, Charlie Williams.

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Patrick Ryan Wilding Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Harvey Smallman, Vaughan Harding
Torf / Attendance :- 263

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

01/01/2024 Cymru North Venue: Nantporth (k.o 2.00)
BANGOR 1876 .......................................4
Corrig McGonigle 8',68'
Sam Jones 63'
Tom Clarke 65'

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................1
Rhys Alun 45'+2'

A new year a new beginning as they say, with a new manager in charge there are expectations of better things to come in 2024.

In a game of 2 halves for Port where the 1st half showed a lot of promise, but a 5 minute spell in the 2nd half cost us a point and the match.

Bangor started on the front foot and within 3 minutes had their first chance after Sam Jones swung in a corner kick from the left, it was headed on by Iolo Hughes towards his fellow centre back Tom Clarke, whose header went just over the bar. However on 8' Cai Powell-Roberts broke into the Port box and went round a couple of defenders before placing the ball across the box for Corrig McGonigle to score from close range.

Within a minute of the restart a long ball forward provided Port with a chance to equalise, Rhys Alun managed to control the ball on the edge of the box but sent his shot narrowly wide of the target. This was quickly followed with a chance for Danny Brookwell but his shot from a tight angle went past the post. On 21' Rhys Alun found himself free but yet again his effort went narrowly past the Bangor goal. As Port continued to threaten, on 37' Caio Evans broke free but his effort didn't trouble Carl Jones.

But Bangor came back into the match and on 43' Cai Powell-Roberts's cross was met by a McGonigle header but a fantastic diving save by Alex Ward-Jones kept it out, this was followed by another excellent save by Alex from an acrobatic McGonigle effort. There was more drama to come in 1st half injury time as Brookwell broke into the Bangor box and found Rhys Alun who scored from close range to make it 1-1 at half time.

Port started the 2nd half brightly and a Brookwell effort went narrowly past Carl Jones right post.

But Bangor gadually grew into the half and a Joe Sullivan shot was pushed onto the bar by Port goalie Ward-Jones, this gave the home side some confidence and on 63' Sam Jones controlled the ball midway inside the Port half and his powerful strike from 25 yards went past the helplesss Port goalie, to put 1876 2-1 up.

Cai Jones and Zak Pike came on as substitutes for Iddon Price and Rhys Alun to try to change Port's fortunes, but it was short lived as Tom Clarke's downward header from a McGonigle corner made it 3-1 to the hosts.

1876 weren't finished there, on 68' Port had a free-kick near the Bangor box. Joe Culshaw won the ball inside his own box before finding Corrig McGonigle with an excellent long pass. McGonigle showed his pace to beat his man and break into the box before shooting past the helpless Port goalkeeper to make it 4-1.

Caio Evans came close after he broke into the Bangor box from the right but his powerful shot was tipped over the bar by Carl Jones.
That was the last of the action and we now turn our attention to our next home match against Ruthin Town on Saturday, kick off 2pm.

Bangor 1876: Cai Jones, Cai Powell Roberts (Gethin Jones 76'), Dan Cox, Joe Culshaw,Iolo Hughes (Corey Jones 70'), Tom Clarke (Sion Edwards 87'), Sam Jones, Joe Sullivan, Corrig McGonigle, Mason Blackwell Jones, Craig Whelan. Unused sus: Liam morris, Ben Owen,

Porthmadog: Alex Ward-Jones, Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis, Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney (Elis puw 77'), Stuart Rogers, Danny Brookwell, Rhys Alun (Zac Pike 64'), Iddon Price (Cai Jones 64'). Unused subs: Mabon Owen, A Catlin Roberts, M Lloyd. Yellow: Gruff Ellis 72'

Swydddogion / Officials: John A Jones, Richard Dolphin, Nathan Wheatley
Torf / Attendance: 637

Adroddiad/ Report: Dylan Rees

26/12/2023 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.30)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:HAYDN E WILLIAMS Syrfewr Adeiladu Siartredig / Chartered Building Surveyors
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:Er cof am / In memory of WINNIE JONES

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................0

BANGOR 1876 .......................................4
Corrig McGonigle 18'
Sam Jones 50'
Craig Whelan 72'
Cameron Barry 87'

Football can be a very cruel game at times. It would have been nice (to say the least) to have seen a home win at the end of this pulsating fixture between two old rivals especially as it was Craig Papyrnik`s final match in charge. But there was to be no fairytale ending today. However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Craig for all his hard work and determination over the last nine years and wish him well in all his future endeavours. Diolch yn fawr iawn, Craig.

Did I say ‘cruel’? Well, the final scoreline was simply savage as it was an extremely misleading reflection of the balance of play between two very evenly matched sides. However, defenders cannot behave like Santa Claus and expect to get away with it …..even on Boxing Day!

Both teams started very brightly and during the Citizens` opening salvo, Alex Ward Jones in the Port goal did well to punch away a dangerous low cross from the right flank and shortly after, Port`s simply brilliant Danny Brookwell dribbled past a posse of defenders but his shot was too weak to trouble Carl Jones in the Bangor goal. Then, it was Bangor`s turn on ten minutes when Alex produced a confident, two fisted save from just under his crossbar to parry away a thumping shot over his bar.

It was pretty much even-stevens when, 17 minutes in,……disaster struck when an attempted clearance by Alex Ward Jones was successfully charged down by the Gerd Muller-cum-Jimmy Greaves of the second tier and ….yes ….that man Corrig McGonigle was left with a gift-wrapped tap-in and it was 0-1.

Port, to their credit, continued to press whilst Bangor always looked useful with their trade-mark slick passing movements. Port set up several half-chances before the break. Brookwell sent a shot narrowly wide of the upright at the end of a thrilling run and Cai Jones saw his drive just skimming the bar after excellent work by Telor Williams. Bangor`s Sam Jones then came close sending his drive narrowly wide at the end of a flowing move. At the end of the first period, it was a case of all to play for. Wasn`t it?

Bangor doubled their advantage shortly after the re-start when a high cross evaded the Port defence and Sam Jones netted with a beautifully judged low half-volley into the corner of the net. Suddenly, Port had a mountain to climb.

Predictably, Port threw everything into attack in an attempt to give the patient and loyal home supporters something to cheer about, but even when Port attackers managed to evade the miserly Bangor rearguard , they found goalkeeper Carl Jones in top form as he produced three top quality saves to thwart worthy goal-bound efforts from Brookwell, Cavanagh and the excellent Caio Evans.As for Carl Jones…… here is a goalkeeper who can truly command that six yard area!

Bangor showed impressive composure and accuracy with their counter-attacks but it is fair to say that their third and fourth goals were rather expensive Christmas gifts. Alex, in the Port goal, unexpectedly fumbled a high speculative effort by Iolo Thomas and Craig Whelan was alert enough to bundle home the rebound. Bangor then capitalised on some some truly unnecessary shilly-shallying in the Port defence,and eventually, Cameron Barry`s firm shot was too hot for Alex to handle and it ended 0-4.

Bangor`s victory was deserved but the margin thereof was as farcical as a pantomime plot at Venue Cymru.

As a spectacle, the match was thoroughly entertaining and it was great to see a sizeable crowd. Congratulations to Bangor on their polished and clinical performance. Port supporters will hope for better fortune in the return match at Nantporth on New Years` Day.

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Telor Williams, Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis (Mabon Owen 90+1`), Caio Evans, Stuart Rogers, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones (Tom Mahoney 46`), Danny Brookwell (Elis Puw 81`), Rhys Alun ( Zac Pike 81`), Yellow cards :- Morgan Owen (9`), Telor Williams (80`) Unused subs :- Aron Roberts, Iddon Price, Mason Lloyd

Bangor 1876 :- Carl Jones, Cai Roberts, Dan Cox, Joe Culshaw, Iolo Hughes, Tom Clarke, Sam Jones, Joe Sullivan, Craig Whelan (Cameron Barry 87`), Corrig McGonnigle (Gethin Thomas 66`), Mason Blackwell-Jones Yellow cards :- Cai Roberts (27`), Joe Sullivan (34`),Unused subs :- Ben Owen, Ben Heald, Mike Johnston

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- Nicholas Pratt
Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Tomos Huw Jones, Jamie Monk
Torf / Attendance :- 723

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

15/12/2023 Cymru North: Venue: Essity Stadium (k.o 7.30 pm)

FLINT Town Utd ............................3
Joe Williams 25'
Josh Jones 51'
Harley Brindley-Peagram 77'

CPD PORTHMADOG ......................0

A game, which was inevitably set to be a stern test for Port, became an even more difficult task before the first kick. The trio of experienced players; Cai Jones, Iddon Price and Ryan Williams; pulled out through injury and Tom Mahoney and Gruff Ellis followed, both unavailable.

From the off, the visitors had adopted a policy of containment, and were happy to let the hosts have plenty of possession, especially in their own half. Flint responded by knocking the ball around with confidence, and trying to pressure the Port defence into making mistakes. They forced several early corners, abd from one of them carved out the first real chance on 11 minutes, when corner taker Jake Phillips received the ball back inside the box, rounded a defender before hitting a fierce shot from an acute angle, that Port keeper Alex Ward-Jones did well to keep out by sticking out a hand to push it over the bar. A minute later Luis Lacey was played through for the Silkmen, but lobbed the ball just over the crossbar.

Flint continued to press, and Sol Forde was gifted a free header, but was unable to direct it down on the target, and another good opportunity went begging.

The breakthrough came on 24 minutes from a free kick awarded on the left about 20 yards into the Port half. Anthony Stephens sent his delivery curling to the far post area, and Joe Williams came in unmarked to connect with it and send the ball back across goal and into the net.

A fine run down the right by Josh Jones led to him laying the ball back to Elliott Reeves, who from a wide angle hit a shot that had Ward-Jones beaten, but it smashed against the bar. On the half hour mark, a nice passing move led to Rhys Kavanagh hitting a shot on target from the edge of the box, but Ward-Jones was able to parry it, before recovering just in time to stop Reeves from following up.

Port put together a brief spell of pressure shortly after, and this resulted in their first clear strike at the Flint goal. Morgan Owen, who had orchestrated the initial move, was on hand to receive the ball back when that had broken down, and hit a rising shot from wide on the right that just cleared Josh Tibbetts’ bar.

Flint should have gone into the break two goals up, but Jones spurned a golden opportunity just before the half time whistle. A defender missed his clearing header, and the ball fell nicely to Jones, who almost had too much time to pick his spot. He attempted to place it past Ward-Jones, but only succeeded in pulling it wide of the goal.

Port had the first sight of goal in the second half when Morgan Owen was in a forward position to receive the ball, before shooting just wide of the target. Flint responded by setting Reeves away on the left of the area. Ward-Jones raced out to meet him, and Reeves sidestepped him, before sending his shot across the face of goal from a wide angle.

From a corner, Telor Williams got up just in time to beat Danny Harrison to the ball and made a good defensive header to send the ball out for another corner. The next delivery found the head of Stephens, but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line.

The vital second goal for the home side arrived shortly after in the 52nd minute. Reeves managed to muscle his way through, following a bit of a mix up in the home defence. He poked the ball past Ward-Jones, but the ball struck the base of the post and rolled along the line. Fortunately for Flint, Jones had shown determination to get the loose ball first and prod it over the line.

Going two goals behind was the spur Port needed to open up their game and become more of an attacking force themselves. Morgan Owen was their catalyst and was at the centre of almost all their good play.

Telor Williams made a surging run down the left on 58 minutes, getting past a couple of challenges before cutting inside and getting into a good goalscoring position, but his final shot lacked the power to really trouble Tibbetts who collected comfortably. Two minutes later, Shaun Cavanagh was slipped in by a deft ball inside the area, but Tibbetts stuck out his hand to turn the shot out for a corner to deny the forward.

The game was now becoming something of an end to end affair, and Flint responded when Jones hared down the right, before picking out Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro with a good ball, but Ward-Jones pulled off a great reaction save to deny the Flint substitute.

Back down the other end, Owen cracked a fine shot that struck the Flint bar. Flint responded once more, as Akpa-Akpro sent Phillips away down the left, and he produced an inch perfect delivery to find Jones, who somehow contrived to put his effort the wrong side of the post from close range,

Port were offered a potential way back into the game on 71 minutes, when from a Cavanagh cross, Rhys Alun was pulled back as he went for a header and they were awarded a penalty. Shaun Cavanagh took responsibility, but Tibbetts dived low to his left to produce an excellent save.

Cavanagh stung the hands of Tibbetts a short while later after being set up by Owen, but Port were still unable to find the net.

Flint put the game to bed on 78 minutes, when Williams played a ball in from the right to the near post area. A retreating defender played it back towards his own goal, and as it bounced back out from a combination of Ward-Jones and post, Harley Peagram was on hand to thump it over the line. With two minutes remaining, Peagram could have doubled his tally, when he stole the ball and weaved his way into the area and into a shooting position, but Ward-Jones capped off a good display with an excellent block to thwart the Flint forward.

On Boxing Day at 2.30pm Port will be hoping for a return of some of the missing players when they take on Bangor 1876.

CPD PORTHMADOG: Alex Ward-Jones, Morgan Owen, Nathan Williams, Josh Banks (Mabon Owen 80'), Telor Williams, Caio Evans, Stuart Rogers, Zac Pike, Shaun Cavanagh, Elis Puw, Rhys Alun. Hnused Subs: Aaron Jones, Mason Lloyd, Aron Catlin Roberts, Danny Brookwell, Gareth Jones Evans, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Stuart Rogers 52'.

FLINT: Josh Tibbetts, Josh Philips, Joe Williams (M Roberts 78'), Ashley Stephens, Solomon Forde, Danny Harrison, Luis Lacey, James Owen (A Hughes 78'), Rhys Kavanagh (J Akpa-Akpro 54') , Elliot Reeves (Harley Brindley-Peagram 74'), Josh Jones. Unused subs: L Murphy, P Lacey, G Maire. Yellow: Elliot Reeves 65'.

Swyddogion/ Match Officials: Arthur Samllman , Harvey Smallman, Jake Smith
Torf / Attendance: 208

Report by Nigel Sheen. (We are indebted to Flint for allowing us to use their match report)

09/12/2023 Cwpan Cymru / JD Welsh Cup Rd 4 Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00 noon)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor: CARIAD CARE HOMES
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:GROSVENOR BEAUMONT Financial Services Ltd. & TATWS TRADING

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................0

BUCKLEY TOWN .........................................2
Callum Humphries 51'
Liam Driscoll 67'

Before the start of today`s game, a minute`s silence was impeccably observed in memory of Huw Trefor Jones who played for Port during the late 1950`s and early 60`s. Indeed, he was in the Port team which lifted the Amateur Cup for the second time when they defeated Peritus (Bangor University and Normal College combined) in front of several thousands at Farrar Road in the 1957/58 season. Having hung up his boots, he was a Vice- President and trustee of the club. He was also a P.E. teacher to many of us at Ysgol Eifionydd for some twenty years before teaching Maths and Careers.

This was such an important game for both teams today as they were playing for a place in the quarter final of the Welsh Cup. Therefore, for followers of Port, our defeat as well as the manner of it was a bitter disappointment.

Port started quite well, as they so often do, and the stiff breeze at their backs appeared to be advantageous for the most part during the first period.

Several good looking attacks were set up by the hosts whilst Buckley looked rather dangerous on the break. During the opening minutes, Shaun Cavanagh`s effort from just outside the box went narrowly over the bar and a strong shot inside the box by Danny Brookwell was charged down.

Just short of the 15 minute mark, there occurred something of a turning point when Cai Jones was felled by a bad tackle by Buckley`s Callum Humphries who was a very lucky boy to escape with only a yellow card. Cai had to leave the action and his enforced absence was sorely felt in terms of Port`s inability to maintain their early dominance.

Port still had time to take advantage of the wind, however, and a long and accurate clearance by Port keeper Alex Ward-Jones put Shaun Cavanagh clean through on goal. He simply had to score but Ryan Goldston in the visitors` goal did well to spread himself and saved Cav`s firm shot with his legs. Tom Mahoney also unleashed a tremendous shot on the turn but Goldston again did well to divert it for a corner.

Port`s defence at this stage was seldom under serious pressure beyond a few corner kicks and one wildly optimistic claim for a penalty after the merest ‘coming together’ in the Port box. So, it remained goalless at the end of the first half. Would Port live to rue their profligacy? Yes!

In the second period, Port`s overall performance was unimaginably dire. Even the usually majestic Morgan Owen was off-colour. You can make excuses till the cows come home about the unfortunate absence of Telor Williams and Rhys Alun and the blatant time-wasting and play-acting of Buckley which was left totally unpunished by the referee. Ultimately, Port were downright poor and Buckley wanted it more than we did.

On fifty minutes, a left footed corner by Buckley was swung high into the six yard area with Alex electing to stay on his line. The power of Callum Humphries` towering header was too much for the young custodian to handle as he could only parry it back into the striker`s path for him to head home at the second attempt.

Port huffed and puffed but produced only one chance of note which was scrambled to safety off the goal-line after a good run by Brookwell. Then, with some twenty minutes remaining, Buckley had one foot in the next round when a low cross was easily converted by Liam Driscoll.

The manner of defeat was hard to take. From having the game by the scruff of the neck in the first half, we were a mere shadow of CPD Porthmadog in the second period. It was nice, however, to see local youngsters Zak Pike and Elis Puw having an extended run-out and giving it their all. Perhaps these two will blossom in time? I rather believe they will!

Manager Craig Papirnyk summed it all up at the end when he said, "Absolutely gutted for CPD Porthmadog and its supporters today, great chance to progress to the quarter final of the Welsh Cup but we fell well short, not good enough. All credit to Asa Hamilton and his side, fully deserved. I congratulate him and wish him and the club a favourable draw."

Next Friday, we return to league action at high-flying Fflint with a 7.30 start. Let`s hope for a better performance there.

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks , Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis ,Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones (Zak Pike 19`), Iddon Price (Elis Puw 57`), Danny Brookwell. Unused subs :- Craig Papyrnik, Mabon Owen, Iwan Havelock Yellow cards :- Gruff Ellis (48`), Danny Brookwell (73`),

Buckley Town :- Ryan Goldston (GK), Adam Boydell, Dylan Roberts, Josh Allen, Callum Humphries, Scott McHarrie (Capt.), Adam Smith, Sam McCormick, Liam Driscoll (Owen Jones 90+1`), Aled Glyn Bellis, Max Moore. Unused subs :- Asa Hamilton, Charlie Urquhart, Cameron Meredith, William Weaver. Yellow cards :- Callum Humphries (13`), Sam McCormick (23`), Asa Hamilton ( manager 76`), Adam Smith (80`), Scott McHarrie (90`)

Dyfarnwr/ Referee:- James Walker Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Martin Roberts / Glenn Gray
Torf / Attendance :- 224

Adroddiad / Report :- Treflyn Jones

18/11/2023 Cymru North Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 12.00 noon)
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:Er cof am / In memory of: MEIRION PARRY
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:Pritchard & Griffiths Trefnwyr Angladdau / Funeral Directors

CPD PORTHMADOG ............................1
Morgan Owen 6'

CAERSWS .............................................1
Sam Phillips 14'

It was heartening to see a merely slightly below average crowd of 205 at Y Traeth at mid-day of all times for this entertaining clash between old rivals. For the record, the kick-off was brought forward due to Wales` all-important qualifier in Armenia in which the away team could only manage a 1-1 draw when they were badly in need of a win to qualify for the 2024 Euros in Germany. By a rather unhappy coincidence, Port could only manage a similar scoreline but with just a little more luck, could well have claimed all three points.

After a cagey opening five minutes, Port got their noses in front in the sixth minute through an excellent right foot drive from 20 yards by the combative Morgan Owen past the diving Steffan Harri after good work and a lay-off by Telor Williams.

Port then created further chances. Rhys Alun`s fine run culminated in a shot which was rather too tame to test the keeper and then Steffan Harri in the Caersws goal had to be at his very best to divert a strong free kick from Shaun Cavanagh round the post.

Then….. would you believe it! Just when we were seemingly on top, Caersws achieved a thoroughly undeserved equalizer with their very first attempt on goal. Ashley Harries got the better of a challenge on the edge of the Port box before unselfishly rolling the ball into the path of Sam Philips who guided the ball past Nathan Williams on the goal-line. It was frustratingly against the run of play and a bad goal from a defensive perspective.

Port continued to attack and the Caersws keeper again did well to block a point-blank effort by Morgan Owen. A few minutes later, however, an ill-judged attempted back pass by Shaun Cavanagh to Alex in the Port goal was easily intercepted by Caersws` Neil Mitchell but, fortunately for the anxious home supporters, his chip over Alex Ward-Jones landed on the roof of the net and the first half ended all square at one-apiece.

Caersws upped their game somewhat in the second period and were often producing moves which were just as attractive as their counterparts. The half, however, was becoming a dour midfield struggle rather than a flurry of thrills and spills in the respective goalmouths. Both teams managed to fling some dangerous looking crosses into the box but neither goalkeeper was seriously troubled. Caersws centre-forward Rhys Hesden perhaps came closest as his drive 10 minutes from the end, flew past the upright with Port`s keeper seemingly well-beaten.

Next Saturday, according to our excellent web-site, our intended match at Llanidloes has already been postponed. Therefore, our next league match will be at Caersws on December 2nd with a 2.30 kick-off.

Porthmadog :- Alex Ward-Jones (GK), Morgan Owen, Josh Banks (Gruff Ellis 66`), Nathan Williams, Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney, Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Telor Williams (Iddon Price 83`), Rhys Alun ( Zak Pike 77`) . Unused subs :- Gareth Jones-Evans, Craig Papyrnik. Yellow card :- Tom Mahoney (44`)

Caersws :- Steffan Harri, Jamie Jones, Will Evans, Craig Williams, Harry Cottam, George Mitten, Neil Mitchell, Ashley Harries (B. Jones 45`), Rhys Hesden, Callum Graybrook (D. Bates 75`), Sam Philips. Unused subs :- Callum Francis-Jones, Craig Harris, Jack Perry
Yellow cards :- Craig Williams (54`), Jamie Jones (74`), Sam Philips (90+1`), George Mitten (90+3`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Huw Jones Cynorthwywyr / Assistants :- Simon McCormick, Ryan Mark Hughes
Torf / Attendance :- 205

Treflyn Jones

11/11/2023 Cwpan Cymru / JD Welsh Cup Rd3 Venue: Y Traeth (k.o 2.00pm)
Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors:EH ELLIS Building & Roofing Contractors

CPD PORTHMADOG .................................5
Cai Jones 10'
Iddon Price 63'
Rhys Alun 79'
Telor Williams 85'
Zac Pike 90' + 1'

CARDIFF AIRPORT ...................................1
Sonny Lambert 2'

A scoreline of 5-1 would seem to signify a very comfortable win for the home side, but in fact, this was anything but comfortable. The strong determined Airport team came with a clear plan to use their pace on the counter attack giving, what often appeared to be an under manned defence, a hard time. On numerous occasions Port had reason to be grateful to their keeper Alex Ward-Jones who made several excellent saves at vital periods in the game. The 4th Tier club were very much in this game until Rhys Alun netted to make it 3-1 to Port in the 79th minute.

The Airport club could hardly have dreamed of a better start. From the kick-off they attacked down the left catching the home defence cold and in the 1st minute Scotto Dabusco finished well with an angled shot. It was a case of shocka all round; Cardiff Airport at how easy it had been and the home support stunned into silence by what on paper was supposed to be a comfortable home win.

Port responded immediately with Morgan Owen firiing low but across the face of goal. Port after the setback applied the pressure and by the 10 minute mark were back on level terms, when an excellent Rhys Alun lay-off found Cai Jones in space and the experienced forward took his chance, firing low into the corner of the net from 16 yds. A sigh of relief all round but any thought that Airport were about to cave in was badly misjudged. The dangerous Sonny Lambert broke down the right and sent a low ball across the face of goal for Dabusco to draw an excellent save from Alex Ward-Jones at his near post. But the pressure was now mainly on the Airport goal with Port enjoying most of the possession forcing a series of corners but a determined defence was in no mood to yield.

Tom Mahoney was prominent with some excellent approach work down the left combining well with Danny Brookwell. A shot from Brookwell looked goal bound before taking a deflection from defender Harri Coxon. A Mahoney through ball put Cai Jones in on goal but keeper Nathan Gahan pulled off a good save. A thunderous shot from Rhys Alun struck the cross bar, following an excellent Shaun Cavanagh lay-off. Tom Mahoney then cut in from the left but his low effort curled narrowly wide of Gahan’s far post.

The half ended with the Airport back on the attack and it needed a Gruff Ellis header off the home line and Alex Ward-Jones then produced another good save to keep out Curtis Watkins’ angled shot at his near post. Half-time 1-1 and all to play for.

The visitors came out strongly in the second-half and Alex Ward Jones was in action again saving well when the pacy Lambert got in behind the home defence. The keeper produced another good save to keep out a Theo Richards power shot. Warning signs for Port who now pushed forward again and on 63 minutes they were ahead for the first time thanks to a goal from an unlikely source. A minute after coming on Iddon Price scored a vital goal netting from close range following Cai Jones’ cross. But the visitors were not ready to cave in as once again the Airport attack got in behind the Port defence and in a one on one situation Alex Ward -Jones saved the day with another great save to deny Lee Stradling.

Port now looked to consolidate with a 3rd goal. Rhys Alun came close with a 25 yd free-kick. But then on 79 minutes it was Rhys Alun again fastening on to Cai Jones’ through ball to net from a narrow angle. In the 85th minute Port were awarded a penalty for a deliberate Caton handball, keeping out Cai Jones ’goalbound shot and receiving a red card. Keeper Nathan Gahan pushed away Cai’s penalty only for Telor Williams to pounce on the rebound and via an attempted block found the net.

One more goal and a memorable one for Zac Pike, his first at this level,the young forward firing across the keeper to place it safely inside the far post. Congrats Zac!!!

5-1 and Port were in the draw for the last 16 but knowing that they had been made to work extremely hard for the win in an enjoyable game.

Our next game (next Saturday) is likely to be switched from Caersws to the Traeth with a 12.00pm kickoff. Keep a look out for further info on Twitter, Facebook and the Website.

Porthmadog: Alex Ward-Jones, Morgan Owen, Josh Banks (Zac Pike), Gruff Ellis (Telor Williams 46’), Caio Evans, Tom Mahoney, Ryan Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Iddon Price 62’), Cai Jones (Elis Puw 86’), Danny Brookwell ( Nathan Williams 46’), Rhys Alun.

Cardiff Airport: Nathan Gahan, Harri Coxon (Ashton Hinton 70’), Ethan Galsworthy, James Scott, Connor Caton, Sonny Lambert (Alex Watkins 85’), Scotto Dabusco, Jack Davies, Theo Richards, Alfie Slee ( Lee Stradling 74’), Curtis Watkins. Unused subs:Thomas Webb, Lewis Cosslett.
Red: Connor Caton. Yellow: Connor Caton 70’, Scotto Dabusco.

Swyddogion / Officials: Andy Harms, Martn Trigg, Tomos Huw Jones.
Torf Attencance: 242

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us