CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Eilyddion / Reserves
Dan-21 / Under-21
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Cei Connah's Quay (a) | Caernarfon (h) | Llanelli (h) | Bangor (a) | Llanelli (a) | Airbus UK (a) |

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    Tuesday, April 11th

Airbus UK ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
			Richard Hughes 24'

Richard Hughes's 24th minute header over Adam McGee proved to be enough to
secure the three points for Porthmadog on a night where the strong wind was
the real winner. 

Porthmadog had the wind at their backs in the first half and controlled play
from the start with a lively Paul Friel firing a couple of early salvoes to
test keeper McGee and the March player of the month Gareth Owen responding
for Airbus. McGee was in action again after 17 minutes to touch a powerful
Richard Hughes header over the bar following Ywain Gwynedd's corner. It was
no surprise when the visitors went ahead with Richard Hughes beating the
offside trap to head Gareth Caughter's lob over the keeper into the net. 

The home side found it difficult to make progress against the strong wind
finding themselves penned in their own half for long periods. Just past the
half-hour mark McGee failed to gather Ywain Gwynedd's corner cleanly but Lee
Webber fired over the bar. The only other real threat on goal came when
Jason Sadler's shot on the turn flew narrowly wide. Half-time arrived with
only a solitary goal to show for the pressure and concerned fans felt that
this might not be enough. Too often in their eagerness to use the stiff
breeze the passes had been over hit and the front men were left to chase
lost causes.

The second half with it's reversal of roles provided even less entertainment
than the first. The home side was intent on belting the ball down field at
every opportunity while Porthmadog found it difficult to string more than
two passes together against the elements. The result was a rather frenetic
endurance test for both players and supporters. Despite their territorial
advantage the home side was unable to create any real scoring opportunities
but rather tested Richard Harvey, in the Porthmadog goal, with an aerial
bombardment of corners, crosses and free-kicks. But the Porthmadog keeper
was equal to the task performing heroically in very difficult conditions.

For all their huffing and puffing Airbus did not create a real opportunity
until the 82' when Davies shot wide when well placed and two minutes later
sub James Hussaney fired over the bar. Porthmadog held out and it was a
relief to hear the final whistle. They have dropped points in similar
circumstances more than once this season so it was nice to win ugly for a

Play anywhere Richard Hughes once more turned up trumps for Port. Last week
against Bangor he was the midfield linchpin and today he stood in for the
injured Les Davies at the front and as ever looked the part. The win lifts
Porthmadog to 8th place in the table.

Airbus: McGee, Lee Williams, Hopkins (Purcell 11'), Andy Thomas, John
Davies, Connelly, Craig Jones Anthony Williams 46'), Gareth Owen(Hussany
46') James McIntosh, White, Dave Hughes.
Yellow: White 

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Ywain Gwynedd (Geraint Mitchell), Danny Hughes, Paul Friel, Gareth
Caughter: Jason Saddler, Richard Hughes.

Subs not used: Mark Cook, Iwan Williams, Campbell Harrison.
No Cards.


Gareth Williams  

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    Saturday, April 8th

Llanelli ... 2			CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Ivan Nofuentes 46', 70'		Jason Sadler 13', 44'

If ever there was a case of it being a point gained in a drawn game then
this was it. Porthmadog entered this game with the nucleus of their first
team out through injury. The seven missing first teamers were replaced by a
group of inexperienced youngsters which made this the youngest team ever to
represent Porthmadog in a WPL game. Before half an hour had gone the walking
wounded had increased by another two as Jon Peris and Ian Williams had to be
replaced which meant that Rhys Roberts, who was not fit enough to start, had
to put in an early appearance. But the young players who came in played
their hearts out and held the full-timers to their first drawn game of the

From the outset it was clear that the very strong wind, which Porthmadog had
at their backs in the first-half, would play a major part in the game. Early
on Les Davies was off target and Ian Williams, making his first start,
flashed a shot across the face of the goal. Despite the strong wind the home
side threatened and in the 6th minute Nofuentes, who had been such a threat
at the Traeth, headed a Craig Williams cross against the bar. Play swung to
the other end and Les Davies tested Duncan Roberts in the home goal with a
powerful low shot. With 13' on the clock the visitors went ahead when Les
Davies headed Lee Webber's free-kick over the defence and Jason Sadler was
quickly on to it driving past Roberts from 8yards. More pressure followed
and keeper Roberts had to rush out of the area to head clear under pressure
from Jason Sadler.

The experienced home side tested the Porthmadog defence and Nofuentes again
headed over the bar, Lee Webber had to clear off the line and Stuart Jones's
header, from a Lloyd free-kick, was narrowly wide. Just after the half-hour
mark a goal for Llanelli seemed inevitable when Cortez Belle broke wide left
and with a low cross freed Nofuentes in the box and though the Spaniard
struck his shot well Richard Harvey dived to his left to pull off a superb
save drawing deserved applause from both sets of supporters. With half-time
approaching Les Davies lifted a deep cross to the left of the box where
Jason Sadler controlled well and cleverly lobbed the ball over the tall
figure of Duncan Roberts and after taking a deflection off the inside of the
post it was in the net. It was his 7th goal in ten appearances since joining

Porthmadog knew from the first kick of the second half that they would face
an Alamo of a battle and that their mettle would be well and truly tested.
Virtually from the first attack of the second-half, with Peter Nicholas's
words still ringing in their ears, the home side cut the deficit. Following
a Lloyd throw-in the ball was worked across the field finding the inevitable
Nofuentes in space and this time he made no mistake striking a low shot past
Harvey from 15 yards. Llanelli threw on extra attacker introducing Harrhy to
replace defender Edwards but it was Porthmadog who could have restored their
two goal lead with Les Davies bursting from midfield and holding off Lee
Phillips's challenge broke into the box but Duncan Roberts pulled off an
excellent save at his near post. A minute later and the home side were on
level terms when the scourge of Porthmadog, Ivan Nofuentes, turned well in
the box to take advantage of Craig Williams's low cross to score.

It was all hands to the pumps for Port now if a point was to be salvaged.
Lee Webber marshalled his troops and the response was terrific with every
single player standing firm against the mounting pressure. Cortez Belle
first headed over the bar and then did the same with a close range shot.
Craig Williams fired across the face of the goal and later over the bar when
well placed. But the defence was not breached again and second placed
Llanelli had to be satisfied with a share of the points.

Llanelli: Roberts, Edwards (Harrhy 59'), Lloyd, Stuart Jones, Lee Phillips,
Neil Thomas, Nofuentes, Corbisero (Appleby 65'), Belle, Mingorance (Harris
80'), Craig Williams.
 Yellow: Neil Thomas 73'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Geraint Mitchell, Lee Webber, Jon
P Jones (Rhys Roberts 16'), Ywain Gwynedd (Matthew Cooke 80'), Iwan Thomas,
Gareth Caughter, Ian Williams (Iwan Williams 26'), Jason Sadler, Les Davies.
Sub not used: Viv Williams 
Yellow Cards: John G Jones 6',Iwan Williams 43'

Attendance 294

Gareth Williams

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    Tuesday, April 4th

Bangor City ... 1		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Paul Roberts 51'		Les Davies 34', 90'

Les Davies once again thrilled his ever increasing fan club who chanted and
beat the drum for him throughout the 90 minutes. His injury time winner sent
them into ecstasies with Bangor slipping to the ninth home defeat of the
season and giving Porthmadog three well deserved points. But the visitors
needed to turn in their best ninety minutes of the season to bring down a
Bangor side who also contributed richly to a tense and exciting game which
kept the crowd on the edge of their seats to the end. 

Bangor started the brighter of the two sides looking to capitalise on their
semi-final win on Saturday with further league progress forcing early
corners and with Kyle Jones putting the visitors defence under pressure with
his long throws. Gradually the revamped Porthmadog midfield began to
establish a foothold and pushed the home side back. Despite this Port old
boy Paul Roberts drew a good save from Harvey at his near post. But Bangor
old boy Les Davies was beginning to look ever more dangerous at the other
end and once after rounding the keeper it took a last ditch tackle by Ogilvy
to keep him out. But Davies, back on his old Farrar Road stamping ground,
was not to be denied. He met Iwan Thomas's 32nd minute corner with a
thunderous drive from 18 yards through a crowded box and past Andrew Price
to open the score. Les Davies almost added a second just before half-time
when he rose to meet Gareth Caughter's cross but his powerful header was
well saved by Price.

Early in the second half Paul Roberts put Bangor back on level terms when
Linnecar's long throw found him on the edge of the box and the experienced
forward drilled a low shot to the left of the diving Harvey. The game now
swung from end to end with both sides building well passing the ball around
and it was surprising that the score remained at 1-1 for so long. Lee Webber
kept Bangor out with a goal line clearance while Paul Roberts came close
with a low shot from 15 yards and brought a good save from Harvey. As the
game wore on the visitors took control with Sadler holding the ball up well
at the front and brought other attackers into the game. Subs Ian Williams
and Kurt Williams came close with long range efforts for Port and Webber
just couldn't get the ball out of his feet as the goal gaped in front of
him. It required a good goal to win this game and that is exactly what we
got. With time running out Jason Sadler floated over a deep cross which Les
Davies expertly controlled on his chest before firing powerfully past Price
to settle the match.

The visiting supporters held their breath when Linnecar broke along the
bye-line and sent the ball across the face of goal and when Harvey had to
touch a snapshot on to the crossbar. But the scoring was over and the
victory was Porthmadog's with Les Davies's injury time goal worthy of
winning any game. This however was a team effort with all 14 players in an
injury torn squad helping to turn in a season's best performance.

Bangor: Price, Burgess, Ogilvy, Kyle Jones, Harrison, O'Neill, Linnecar,
Priest, Paul Roberts, Carl Lamb, Carl Jones
Yellow: Carl Jones.
Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Geraint Mitchell, Lee Webber, Rhys
Roberts (Kurt Williams 72'): Iwan Thomas (Ywain Gwynedd 67'), Jon Peris
Jones, Richard Hughes, Gareth Caughter (Ian Williams 67'): Les Davies, Jason
Yellow: Les Davies, Geraint Mitchell.


Gareth Williams

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    Tuesday, March 28th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1    Llanelli 2
Jason Saddler 85           Ivan Nofuentes 22
                                           Craig Williams 75 

Ivan Nofuentes was largely instrumental in securing the three points for
Llanelli in an evenly balanced encounter. He scored one and set up the
second goal for the visitors in a game where otherwise a Porthmadog side
missing several key players more than matched their high flying opponents. 

The home side controlled the play for long periods in the opening half and
could have gone one up after only four minutes when a pass was threaded
through to Sadler who found himself one on one with keeper Duncan Roberts
but the Port striker was denied by the first of a string of excellent saves
by the keeper. Les Davies then rose well to head over the bar from a corner
and Sadler was unlucky to see his shot run across the face of goal and
narrowly wide. 

Llanelli meanwhile had to rely on counter attacks and from one Craig
Williams fired over the bar when well placed. But when Nofuentes was given
too much room in the middle of the field he broke to the edge of the box and
punished the home defence with a fine low shot past Harvey to open the
scoring. Following this set back Porthmadog continued to ask the questions
and twice in quick succession Duncan Roberts saved well at the near post to
keep out Caughter. Roberts pulled off two more fine saves before the
interval once when Sadler set up Richard Hughes - great to see this Traeth
favourite back in the team- whose shot was diverted round the post. Then
just before the half-time whistle a quickly taken Mike Foster free-kick
curled around the wall and Roberts did well to keep it out with a diving
save at his far post.

After the interval Llanelli could have gone further a head when Craig
Williams got behind the defence and with appeals for offside being ignored
Richard Harvey pulled off a fine stop. Porthmadog also escaped lightly when
the tall figure of Cortez Belle rose at a corner but only to head over the
bar. The visitors continued a sustained period of pressure with John G Jones
having to make a goal line clearance. Porthmadog weathered that storm and
Lee Webber came near post to a well flighted Mike Foster free-kick but
failed to get a strong enough header and Roberts again saved. Then just as
it looked as though Port might get themselves back into the game Nofuentes
struck again picking up in midfield before freeing Craig Williams on the
left of the box and the forward's well struck shot found the corner of the

This score could have signalled that the contest was over but Port did not
capitulate and with the introduction of Ywain Gwynedd threw themselves into
attack. With five minutes left on the clock another dangerous Mike Foster
free-kick was lifted into the box and Richard Hughes's downward header was
touched on by Jason Sadler and for once Duncan Roberts's desperate effort
was not enough to keep it out. With time running out Ywain Gwynedd came
close and Harvey had to pull off a good save from Nick Harry on the counter

Without long term casualties Ryan Davies and Gareth Parry in addition to
leading scorer Carl Owen and key players Rhys Roberts and Danny Hughes
missing this must go down as a highly satisfactory performance by Port's
youngsters and none better than Geraint Mitchell outstanding at the heart of
the defence.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Geraint Mitchell, Lee Webber, Iwan
Thomas (Tony Williams 76') Paul Friel ( Jon P Jones 80'), Richard Hughes,
Gareth Caughter (Ywain Gwynedd 70'): Les Davies, Jason Sadler.

Sub not used: Rhys Roberts.

Llanelli: Duncan Roberts, Edwards, Gary Lloyd, Rewberry, Stuart Jones, Lee
Phillips, Nofuentes, Corbisiero, Belle (Harris 82'), Appleby (Harry 72'),
Craig Williams.

Subs not used: Jacob Mingorance.  Yellow: Duncan Roberts 89'

Attendance: 136

Gareth Williams

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    -Saturday, March 25th

CPD Porthmadog ... 2	Caernarfon Town ... 3
Les Davies 16'		Gerard Maloney 40'
Carl Owen 37'		Steve Watkin 59'
			Dylan Owen 73'

When Carl Owen increased Porthmadog's advantage to two goals with his 16th
league goal of the season after 37' a home victory seemed the most likely
outcome to the Gwynedd derby game. However a Caernarfon fight back in the
second period gave them a win, which over the ninety minutes, was well

Porthmadog started well and looked the more likely to score with Ywain
Gwynedd and Carl Owen coming close in the first five minutes. Rowley then
had a good opportunity for Caernarfon in the 10th minute but shot straight
at Harvey in the Port goal. Almost immediately Les Davies for Porthmadog
raced half the length of the field before letting fly with a cracker from
20yards but was unlucky to see his shot strike the upright with Caernarfon
keeper Pritchard beaten. A home goal had to come and after 16 minutes a good
build up involving Geraint Mitchell, and Jason Sadler gave Carl Owen the
opportunity to cross from the right and Les Davies scored from close range. 

Porthmadog could have gone further ahead when a Les Davies lob caught keeper
Pritchard off his line but the ball bounced narrowly wide and again Jason
Sadler found himself one on one with Pritchard, having been put through by
Carl Owen, but the keeper saved well diving low to his right. But a minute
later Carl Owen gave Porthmadog the two goal advantage which they deserved
when he met Mike Foster's deep cross at the far post and sent a superbly
directed header looping over the keeper. But the two goal advantage lasted
only three minutes for Gerard Maloney brought the visitors back into the
game with a finely struck free-kick from 25 yards. 

Jason Sadler threatened early in the second period turning Wayne Phillips
and forcing a save from Pritchard and the keeper also had to punch clear
under pressure from Ywain Gwynedd. After weathering these early attacks
Caernarfon stepped up a gear and just before the hour mark another set piece
gave them the opportunity to level the scores. This time it was a corner by
Gerard Maloney which was met at the near post by the experienced Steve
Watkin and his flick found its way under Richard Harvey into the net. 

Caernarfon were now on top adapting better to the extremely wet conditions
in the second period. After Jason Sadler shot tamely at Pritchard the
dangerous Rowley on the counter attack was just wide of the target and
moments later when the ball was only partially cleared Orlik's powerful shot
brought a good save from Harvey. Caernarfon, with the experienced Watkin
holding the ball up well at the front and Lee Jones pulling the strings in
midfield, looked the more likely to go ahead. When the home side could only
partially clear a cross from the left Dylan Owen volleyed through a crowded
penalty box and the ball took a deflection from Mike Foster's head and into
the corner of the net. Good efforts from Rowley again and Lee Jones could
have put the Cofis further ahead. The home side had a last chance to secure
a point but both Lee Webber and Rhys Roberts failed to secure a final touch
following a Mike Foster free-kick.

The visitors continue their good recent run which shows five wins in seven
games. Porthmadog on the other hand see their short run of form come to an
abrupt end with a disappointing second-half performance.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Geraint Mitchell (John G Jones 64'), Lee Webber,
Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster: Ywain Gwynedd (Tony Williams 60'), Paul Friel,
Gareth Caughter, Les Davies: Carl Owen, Jason Sadler.

Sub not used: Campbell Harrison. No cards

Caernarfon: Pritchard, Wayne Phillips, McNulty, Irons, Richie Owen, Maloney
(Dylan Owen 60')Orlik, Rob Williams, Lee Jones, Watkin, Rowley (Peters 85').

Sub not used: Kieran Quinn. Yellow: Paul Pritchard.

Attendance: 287.

Gareth Williams

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    -Friday, March 17th

Connah's Quay Nomads ...0     CPD Porthmadog ...2
                                                         Jason Sadler 70,88

A week which started with the disappointment of Newtown's 88th minute
equaliser which robbed Porthmadog of two important points ended with a Jason
Sadler 88th minute goal to set the seal on a week which ended with two wins
and a draw -seven points out of nine and only one goal conceded. This ninth
win of the season has lifted Port into ninth spot.

Two second half goals by Jason Sadler represented Porthmadog's winning
margin in a game where the strong bitter wind proved such a dominant
influence. The home side had the wind at their back in the first half and
enjoyed the lion's share of the possession looking the more likely to score.
In only the third minute Harvey had to rush out of his goal to save well at
the feet of Nomads striker O'Toole and he was soon in action again this time
to deal with Mutton's low angled shot. The visitors' best effort came from
an exchange of passes between Carl Owen and Gareth Caughter which freed Owen
to cross into the box but Porthmadog failed to get bodies in the box and it
was easily cleared. The dual Nomad threat came from the long throw-ins of
Molyneux and the probing runs of Mutton. Harvey was relieved to see one
speculative 30 yard effort from Mutton fly past the outside of the post. But
the Porthmadog rearguard held firm and despite the Nomads neat build-up play
half-time was reached without a score.

The second period was the direct reverse of the opening period with
Porthmadog dominant both in possession and territory as they attempted to
take advantage of the stiff wind. The threats were now on the home goal.
Carl Owen's shot lacked power after being put through by Friel and when
Danny Hughes found Gareth Caughter in the box, the awkward bounce meant that
he also failed to test Smith with any real power. Despite having to defend
for long periods Mutton's pace and close control proved a danger. Just after
the hour he broke to the bye-line and Geraint Mitchell, who was having an
excellent game at right back, pulled off a fine tackle to deny O'Toole a
chance on goal from close range. But Jason Sadler was beginning to find more
room at the front and it needed a 68th minute goal line block by Russell to
prevent a goal. Two minutes later and Sadler broke the deadlock when he
fastened on to Mike Foster's well judged lob over the defence and with good
control steered the ball past Smith into the net.

This time unlike their performance against Newtown the visitors did not sit
back and invite attacks. They had learned their lesson and took the game to
Connah's Quay keeping a high defensive line. As the minutes ticked away they
forced a series of corners and penned the Nomads back in their own half.
With full time beckoning Jason Sadler settled Porthmadog's nerves with his
second of the night. Almost inevitably it came from a ball over the defence
this time an excellent one supplied by Les Davies. Sadler beat keeper Smith
in a race for the ball with the Porthmadog newcomer lobbing the ball over
the keeper's outstretched arms and into the empty net. There was little time
left before referee Mike Jones blew his whistle and no way back for the

Once again this was a good team effort in a game which was hardly a classic.
Jason Sadler can now look back on four goals in his five starts for the club
-quite a record to keep up especially with the Cofis visiting the Traeth
next Saturday!

Connah's Quay: Smith, Heath, Russell, Hutchison, Pinch (Doherty 67'),
Jellicoe, Mutton, Murtagh, O'Toole (Cook 79') Molyneaux, Crawford.
Sub not used: Stanton.

Yellow Cards: Pinch 58', Murtagh 56'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: Geraint Mitchell, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Gareth Caughter, Danny Hughes, Paul Friel, Les Davies: Carl Owen,
Jason Sadler.

Subs not used: Iwan Thomas, Richard Hughes, Tom Hughes.

NO Cards.

Attendance: 104 

Gareth Williams.


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us