CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Preston North End (h) | Challon Lodge (h) | St Helens (h) | Bae Colwyn Bay (h) | Trallwng / Welshpool (h) |
| Afan Lido (a) | Connah's Quay (h) |
Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier League, - Saturday, September 4th 

Porthmadog …..0           Connah’s Quay …. 0   

When these two sides last met the game ended in a draw and from early on 
today a draw, once more, seemed the most likely result. Unlike last 
Saturday’s game against Bangor City this game will not live in the memory 
for long. A combination of two strong defences and an over zealous referee, 
who was far too conscious of the assessor looking over his shoulder, 
produced a game which lacked spark and only very rarely did the football 

Port had the better of the early play stringing passes together and applying 
pressure without creating any goal opportunities. The visitors however 
almost  capitalised on a free-kick which found Horan whose header was pushed 
away at full stretch for a corner by McGuigan. In the main Port continued to 
threaten and Quay keeper almost made a hash of coping with Gareth Parry’s low 
snap shot, and was fortunate to only concede a corner. From the resulting 
Owain Roberts corner the ball flew across the face of the goal and Lee Webber 
was only inches away from the touch which would have produced a goal. Carl 
Owen’s header was just off target following a good build up involving Gareth 
Parry and John Gwynfor. As the half wore on Quay showed more in attack, 
forcing two quick corners in succession just after the half-hour mark. Then 
McGuigan had to be on the alert to save a Gareth Owen shot from 25 yds. The 
only clear cut chance of the half came moments before the half-time whistle 
when Gareth Parry put Carl Owen clean through with a well judged pass but in 
the one on one situation Lee Williams in the Quay goal spread himself to save 

Having survived an early scare just after the interval when Gareth Caughter 
broke on the left and almost took advantage of a Mark Williams flick, the 
visitors threatened when Darren Williams almost took advantage of a defensive 
error but McGuigan was again quickly off his line to save. Play was now 
swinging from end to end and Mutton and Williams for Quay came more into the 
game. It was however Dafydd Evans, for the home side, only minutes after 
coming on as substitute who whipped a fine 25 yd pass to put Carl Owen behind 
the visitors defence but the forward was forced wide and his shot screwed 
narrowly wide of the target. There was little more incident though Darren 
Williams came close for the visitors with a near post header following a cross 
by Stuart Rain while at the other end a snap shot by Ritchie Owen was well 
saved by Lee Williams who also saw a Mike Foster effort fly over his bar 
following a free-kick.

A third draw in four games for Port who will take comfort from the fact that 
this was the type of game which last season they might have lost 1-0. They also 
kept a second successive clean sheet against a side which always provides stern 
opposition. It is a pity, however, that they were unable to reproduce last 
Saturday’s performance in front of their home supporters. 

Port: McGuigan: John G. Jones, Ryan Davies, Lee Webber, Mike Foster: Tony 
Williams (Dafydd Evans), Gareth Parry, Owain Roberts, Gareth Caughter (Ritchie
Owen), Mark Williams (Tom Reynolds), Carl Owen.

Connah’s Quay: Lee Williams, Jamie Holmes, Dean Tuft, Hutchinson, Horan, 
Jellicoe, Chris Williams, Mutton, Darren Williams, Kenworthy, Gareth Owen.

Subs:  Andy Griffiths, Stuart Rain, Danny Spray.

Gareth Williams.

The Vauxhall Masterfit, Welsh Premier.    -Saturday, August 21st

Afan Lido ... 1        Porthmadog ... 1
Carl Evans 90          Carl Owen 51

For a second successive Saturday Port were robbed of the full three points
by a late equaliser. Having conceded an 87th minute leveller against
Welshpool they endured even more anguish this time round when Carl Evans,
for Lido, equalised in the 90th minute.

The talking point of the opening half was the numberless appearance of the
visitors with their away shirts turned inside out at the request of referee
N.L. Morgan who decided that the red side panels on their white shirts could
lead to confusion, as the home side played in all red. The uneventful
first-half did not raise many talking points as neither side really got to
grips with the game. Lido applied the early pressure and robust striker
Bartley had a chance after 5 mins when visitors keeper McGuigan
had a clearance charged down into his path but Bartley's 15yd shot was off
target. After surviving the early aerial attacks Port got into the game and
an useful Dafydd Evans pass found Carl Owen on the left for the forward to
make ground before lobbing just over the bar from a wide angle. Again Carl
Owen was prominent after 26 mins when he chased a long through ball into the
box but was uneremoniously bundled to ground by keeper Thomas who had
totally misjudged the ball. Surprisingly the referee awarded the home side a

As the first-half drew to a close Lido were again on the attack and when
defender, Mike Foster blocked a McCreesh shot, Shrimpton was on hand, but
his shot from the edge of the box was wide of the target. A minute before
the interval McGuigan saved well under pressure as Bartley for the visitors
broke on the left and played a dangerous low ball across the face of the

Port immediately pushed forward after the interval showing the most
constructive play of the game. Six minutes into the second period they went
ahead courtesy of the best move of the game. Having previously threatened on
the left Caughter took advantage of a good ball by Foster to turn the
defence and play the ball in to Carl Owen who found space in the box before
unleashing a powerful shot from 12 yds giving Brian Thomas, in the home
goal, no chance. Soon Owen was threatening again this time with a brilliant
solo run along the bye-line on the right before playing the ball in to
Gareth Parry whose shot flew just over the angle. Lido were not now posing
much of a threat though McGuigan did well to keep out a low shot by Chris
Pridham and was also cool under the high ball controlling his box admirably.

Then seemingly with the game under control Port and time running out Lido
launched one last effort. Kevin Bartley, who had been prominent throughout,
broke on the right sending a well flighted ball to the far post for Walters
to head back across the goal where Carl Evans reacted first to fire in the
equaliser. Towards the end with the the three points seemingly secure the
visitors succumbed to the temptation to defend too deeply and inviting
attack rather than choosing to play the game in the opposition half. On the
bright side Port are still unbeaten! On to Bangor.

Port: McGuigan: John G. Jones, Ryan Davies, Lee Webber, Foster: Tony
Williams(Danny Hughes), Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry, Gareth Caughter( Ritchie
Owen) : Mark Williams(Tom Reynolds), Carl Owen.

Afan Lido: Brian Thomas, Shrimpton, Reid, Paul Evans, Carl Evans, Rickard,
McCreesh, Pridham, Bartley, O'Leary, Piper.
Subs: Sacha Walters, Craig Martin, Ceri Williams, Daniel Williams.

Gareth Williams.

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier – Saturday, August 14th

Porthmadog … 1            Welshpool Town … 1

Carl Owen 57                 Steve Rogers 86

This was a typical opening day encounter on a hot August afternoon where
neither side were able to establish a clear pattern of play in the opening
period. The game as a spectacle was not helped either by Port’s long ball
game and Welshpool’s offside trap. The opening half in fact produced very 
little to excite the crowd with the ball in the air for much of the time. 
The home side’s aerial attacks were in the main easily dealt with by the 
visitors new central defensive pairing of Norman and Jeffries. Port did 
manage a couple of efforts on goal when Gareth Caughter shot wide after 
cutting dangerously in from the left and a Tom Reynolds effort was also 
wide of the mark from 25yds. It took Welshpool until the 40th min to put
in their first effort on goal when Cunnah combined well with Rogers only 
to see his shot fly over the bar.

The second-half started more promisingly and two mins into the second 
period Rogers, for Welshpool, came close with a header from a Ricky Evans 
corner and soon after McGuigan saved well from Rogers again. There 
followed the best sustained period of play during the game as Port forsook 
the long ball and started playing the ball around on the ground. An 
excellent exchange of passes between Tony Williams and Gareth Caughter 
opened up the visitors defence but the latter’s shot went across the face 
of the goal. Welshpool were now finding the home side’s slick passing far 
more difficult to cope with than the hopeful high ball. A well judged Tony
 Williams through ball once again opened up the visitors defence and this 
time Carl Owen was away and from 15 yds drove low past Goodwin in the 
Welshpool goal. Soon after a Mike Foster free-kick screamed inches over 
the bar. The visitors defence was now at full stretch as a Mike Foster 
left-wing cross was met by Carl Owen again but the striker’s header went 
just over the bar. After 69 mins an excellent Dafydd Evans ball found the
dangerous Caughter who cut into the box and was unlucky to see his shot, 
from close range, blocked. Almost immediately another Dafydd Evans ball 
this time set up Tom Reynolds whose shot flew past the upright.

Unfortunately the home side failed to add to Carl Owen’s opening goal as 
for a period of twenty minutes they completely dominated proceedings. As 
so often happens the visitors were encouraged back into the game. A 
McGuigan error under pressure had to be scrambled away for a corner and 
then the dangerous Rogers was kept out by a well timed Foster tackle. 
With time running out a scramble in the home penalty area saw a succession 
of  deflections and blocks before the ball fell to Steve Rogers who turned 
well in the box to fire into the net. Tomi Morgan’s revamped Welshpool were 
delighted to scrape a point but Port will most definitely see this as two 
points lost.

However they will take heart from their period of excellent passing 
football during the 25 minute period after the interval when they would 
not have been flattered by another couple of goals. Supporters will look 
forward to an even longer period where the ball is passed around and 
defences are turned and opened-up.

Port: McGuigan, John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Lee Webber (capt), Mike Foster: 
Tony Williams(Danny Hughes), Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry, Gareth Caughter
(Ritchie Owen): Tom Reynolds, Carl Owen(Mark Williams).

Welshpool: Goodwin, Mark Thomas, Brett Jeffries, Norman, Windsor: Cunnah, 
Burgess, Ricky Evans, Courtney: Rogers, Ross Jeffries.  

Subs: Lee Davies, Mark Roberts, Craig Wilkinson, Ian Jones, Rob Bloor.

Gareth Williams.

Porthmadog ... 3        Colwyn Bay ... 0
C. Owen
T. Reynolds
M. Williams

Summer holiday traffic and an extremely slow lorry (you know who you are!)
conspired to ensure that I missed the opening 5 minutes of Port's final
pre-season friendly match! This meant that I did not witness Carl Owen's
opener after 5 minutes, which I'm told was a cool finish from close range.

Neither side had a clear-cut chance within the next twenty minutes or so,
with Port having the majority of the possession. On 28 minutes, a looping
Colwyn Bay cross landed on top of the Port cross-bar - the English pyramid
side's best chance of the half. Only two minutes later, Port new-boy Tom
Reynolds, who had been left un-marked by the Bay defence, latched onto a
long pass and slotted the ball past the keeper from outside the penalty box
to make it 2-0. Five minutes before the break, Gareth Caughter's cross from
the left was met on the volley by Tony Williams. However his miss-hit shot
was easily parried by the keeper.

Overall the second half was livelier than the first. Lee Webber missed a
good chance on 48 minutes when he headed past the post from a Mike Foster
free kick. Colwyn Bay responded a minute later, with a chance of their own,
but number-9's header was easily saved by MacGuigan. Their best chance of
the match so far came on 52 minutes. The original shot was only palmed away
by the Port keeper, however he made amends - saving the ensuing over-head

The result was put beyond doubt on 56 minutes. A Port free kick on the half
way line was struck towards high towards the Colwyn Bay penalty area, where
it was met by Mark Williams who had replaced Carl Owen at half time. His
powerful header flew into the top corner and gave the visitor's keeper no
chance. Bay had more of the ball in the last few minutes of the game, but it
was all far too late. Ten minutes before the final whistle they had two
chances but both shots went wide of the woodwork.

Next week, Port entertain Welshpool in the Welsh Premier's opening game. In
contrast with this game, they will expect a far tougher game. Port didn't
play well today, in fact they hardly broke sweat, it's just that Colwyn Bay
looked a very poor side.

Emyr Gareth

Porthmadog ... 2	St. Helens Town ... 1

This was a victory which flattered Porthmadog. It is true that
results take second place to performance in pre-season friendlies
and on that score the St. Helens management will feel the more 
satisfied at the end of this outing. For long periods in the 
second-half the visitors dominated with Port finding difficulty 
in getting into the game. The game was, however, eventually 
decided by a well taken goal by Tom Hughes a minute from the end 
when he ran on to a through ball, which opened up the visitors 
defence, and coolly fired a low drive from 15 yds.

In the opening period there were few clear cut opportunities on 
goal. The best efforts from St Helens brought two excellent saves 
from Gerard McGuigan one in particular a diving save to parry away 
a  point blank header following a cross from the left. The best 
early effort for Port came after 12 mins when Owain Roberts shot 
narrowly wide from the edge of the box. Then a minute before the 
interval the home side went ahead when a Campbell Harrison cross 
from the left managed to evade everyone including a surprised 
keeper and ended up in the net.

It took only a minute of the second period for the visitors to 
draw level and this they did from the penalty spot after Mike 
Foster had handled in the area. St Helens introduced numerous 
subs in the second period but continued to play the more fluent 
football and dominating possession and controlling the game in 
midfield. McGuigan again had to be at his best to keep the 
visitors out and just after the hour mark was relieved to see a 
far post header fly narrowly wide. With time running out Port 
made a rare break with teenager Tom Hughes making the most of 
his late opportunity. For Port, apart from McGuigan, there was 
an assured performance from Danny Hughes at the back while Owain 
Roberts worked hard in midfield.

Port: McGuigan, J Peris Jones (C Harrison), Danny Hughes, Mike 
Foster, Ritchie Owen, Tony Williams (Marc Riu), Dafydd Evans, 
Owain Roberts, Lee Webber (Tom Hughes) Tom Reynolds (Cai 
Williams), Mark Williams.

Gareth Williams

Port....................6             Challon Lodge....................0
Carl Owen 56.
Tom Reynolds 70, 81, 86.
Owain Roberts 78.
Mark Riu 90.

Due to preparation work for the new season at y Traeth, the second of this
year's pre-season friendlies against Challon Lodge of  St. Helens was
switched to Llanerchymedd. It was the new boy from Newtown, Tom Reynolds,
that stole the headlines with a hat-trick in the closing quarter as the
visitors were hit for six. This was a game of two halves if ever there was
one, and it remained scoreless at the interval. There was little in terms of
clear-cut chances during the first half, apart from a Carl Owen shot that
was denied by the post.

It took nearly an hour for Port to find the net and open the floodgates.
Carl Owen hit the target from close range on 56 minutes following a
left-wing cross from Tom Reynolds. This was followed by further chances for
Cal Owen and Dafydd Evans, before Reynolds started to take the limelight
with three goals on 70, 81 and 86 minutes.  Not to be out-done, the summer's
other new faces, Owain Roberts and Mark Riu also added their names to the

Porthmadog 2 - Preston North End 2
Carl Owen 66          Mark Jackson 55 & 56
Tom Reynolds 69

Porthmadog opened their pre-season fixtures with an entertaining encounter
against Preston in front of a dissappointing crowd at Y Traeth. Port had the
better of the early exchanges almost scoring in the first minute when first
Carl Owen and then Gareth Caughter both went close. Port were dealt a
heavy blow after only 90 seconds when Lee Webber was helped off after
breaking his nose in a challenge witha Preston attcker. Richie Owen fine 25
yard drive hit the bar after 34 minutes and although Preston exerted
pressure and Port were forced to defend desperately at times it remained
goaless at the break. Preston opened the scoring on 55 minutes when they
were awarded a freekick just outside the box. Mark Jackson's accurate
freekick flew low into the bottom left hand corner of the net. A minute
later and the same attacker was put into the box on the left and his first
effort was well smothered by McGuigan but the rebound fell kindly for
Jackson to fire home the rebound. It took only 11 minutes for Port to pull a
goal back. A Mike Foster ball into the box was headed down by Gareth
Parry and Carl Owen scored from 18 yards with a stunning right foot volley.
Three minutes later and Port were level, trialist Tom Reynolds picked up
possession half way inside the Preston half and fired over the hapless
keeper who got a hand to the ball but could not keep it out of the net. Half
chances fell to both sides as substitutions were made and Preston could well
have stolen the game late on when Jackson rounded substitute keeper
Darren Baker but a last gasp clearance off the line by Richie Owen saved a
certain goal. Of the new faces on show Owain Roberts was prominent in
midfield especially in the first half and Tom Rowlands had some nice
touches  and scored a cracker of a goal. Both Jonathan Peris Jones and
Barry Evans showed up well when they came on. Manager Viv Williams
proclaimed himself satisfied with the runout but Club officials will rue the
poor crowd and the lack of income for the club from such a prestigious

Gerallt Owen


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us