CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Cefn Druids (h) | Caergybi / Holyhead Hotspur (h) | Dinbych / Denbigh Town (a) | Glantraeth (a) |
| Mostyn (h) | Rhydymwyn (h) | Welshpool (h) |
PORTHMADOG..........3 WELSHPOOL TOWN..........3

    Port went into this game with their unbeaten record still intact after
three wins and three draws. Welshpool's record hasn't been as good, but Port
new that this game wasn't going to be easy against a team who were, with
them, in the League of Wales last season.
    Port started much better than in recent matches, and looked very
dangerous from the start. It only took 5 minutes for them to open their
account for this afternoon. Paul Roberts broke into the Welshpool box,
beating two defenders, before turning well and hammering the ball into the
bottom corner. This was his third goal since returning to Port, and
definitely the best.
    But, sloppy defending one minute later lead to Port surrendering their
lead. Chris Banks's header fell to the path of Ben Kinsey who didn't
hesitate before unleashing a powerful shot from twenty yards to leave Phill
Owen with no chance. This goal knocked the wind out of Port's sail, and
their control of the match came to an end. There were a few chances for the
home team, the best went inches wide from Oliver Hall. On 23 minutes, there
was a cruel blow for Port when Welshpool took the lead, against the run of
play with a very lucky goal from Rob Costello. His free kick from outside
the box took a cruel deflection off Campbell Harison on it's way to the back
of the net.
    Port managed to create a few good chances in the final minutes of the
first half. Attempts by Paul Roberts and Chris Barlow went narrowly wide
after good work by both Chris Banks and Steve Humphreys. So after Port had
had the best of the first half, they were very unlucky not to be at level
terms at least.
    The home team started the second half with added zip and determination.
They managed to put some good passing moves together, which posed many
problems to the Welshpool defence. Paul Roberts came close with his head,
but Steve Goodwin made a good save. On 6 minutes it seemed that Chris
Barlow's close range header had also been decided. But the ball only got as
far as Paul Roberts, who reacted quickly to hit the ball to the back of the
net for his second goal. A minute later it looked like Roberts would
complete his hat-trick, but his powerful long-range shot, after an opening
in the Welshpool defence, came off the chest of Steve Goodwin in the
Welshpool goal.
    Port's sustained pressure on the Welshpool goal continued for the first
20 minutes in the second half. On 19 minutes Mike Foster had the ball on the
goal-line after a corner. He shot the ball towards the goal and it came off
Russ Dealtry, who was standing on the near-post, to give Port their third
goal. Port didn't take their foot off the gas and had plenty of chances to
extend their lead, the best chance came to Olly Hall, who's shot went just
over the bar.
    A difencive error by Campbell Harrison gave the lead away. He headed the
ball directly to the path of Joe Williams who both Chris Banks and Richard
Hughes failed to tackle to give Welshpool another lucky goal. After this
there were plenty of chances for both sides to take the lead. Paul Roberts
and Mike Foster came close for Port, while Ben Kinsey and Joe Williams had
chances for Welshpool.
    Port were very unlucky not to win this game, but if you leave sloppy
goals in what can you expect? As one Welshpool supporter told me "Port were
the best team on the day."

P. Owen, C. Harrison, M. Foster, R. Hughes, C. Banks, A. Owen, C. Jarvis, S.
Humphreys (D. Williams) O. Hall, C. Barlow (N. Roberts), P. Roberts.


PORTHMADOG..........1 RHYDYMWYN..........0

Port new that they would have to improve on their mid-week performance
against Mostyn if they wanted to get any thing from this match. The standard
of play in that match was so low that any thing would be an improvement.
Port were boosted with the inclusion of Steve Humphreys in the line-up after
he was signed from Caernarfon.
    Rhydymwyn were the ones who took the initiative in the opening quarter
of an hour but they failed to turn their possession into chances on goal -
this was the case throughout the match. There was an escape for Port on 7
minutes when Phill Owen failed to hold the ball properly, but he managed to
regain his composure enough to kick the ball away. The only other chance for
Rhydymwyn to capitalise on their pressure came when their number 8 tried a
shot from 30 yards. From this point onwards Port started to put much more
moves together, and on 22 minutes came the breakthrough when Chris Jarvis'
effort from around 30 yards left Brian Janes in the Rhydymwyn goal with no
chance to save. Just before the interval, Oliver Hall had a great chance
with a header that was tapped over the bar by Brian Janes after a cross from
the left by Chris Barlow.
    Port had trouble to clear the ball from the defence throughout the match
and this should have resulted in more chances for Rhydymwyn, but they looked
poor in front of goal. They were very unlucky not to score on nine minutes
into the second half. The ball came off the inside of the post and looked
like it was going to cross the line but was cleared by Aled Owen after
somehow staying on the right side of the line. Port had trouble in keeping
possession but looked quite well on the brakes at times. Mike Foster was
dangerous down the wings, on 56 minutes he created a chance for Chris Barlow
who's shot was stopped by Brian Janes who was on good form. Paul Roberts was
disappointing, one of his only chances came on 65 minutes after a pass by
Chris Jarvis, and he was pulled off before the final whistle.
    There were many scrambles in front of the Port goal throughout the
second half, but no real clear-cut chances were created by Rhydymwyn. Port
had a sustained period of pressure around the 30 minute mark in the second
half. There were two fine saves from shots by Oliver Hall and Chris Barlow,
and two corners in close succession.
    Port were not that convincing in their win, and on balance a draw would
have been a fairer result. Had Rhydymwyn been able to crate more chances
from their superior possession, it would have been a totally different

P. Owen, C. Harrison, C. Banks, M. Foster, R. Hughes, S. Humphreys (N.
Roberts), C. Jarvis, O. Hall, A. Owen, C. Barlow, P. Roberts(D. Williams).


PORTHMADOG..........2 MOSTYN..........2

A petition was made at the game tonight to protest at the £3.50 entrance
fee, which has not been reduced since last season. And after the way Port
played  the supporters will be even more reluctant to pay to watch future
    Port started well, putting pressure on the Mostyn Goal. A run by Paul
Roberts resulted in a free kick on ten minutes after Neil Jat was fouled
just outside the box. Mike Foster's kick went just wide. But, soon
afterwards Mostyn came more into the game and started to take control,
putting increasing pressure on the Port defence, who had great trouble in
clearing the ball. Port were by now having trouble putting more than two
passes together and were lucky that Mostyn were not taking full advantage of
their possession.
    The breakthrough for Mostyn finally came just after the half hour. The
Port defence was sloppy and they failed to clear after a weak kick out from
Phil Owen and Mostyn capitalised with a good shot from the left side of the
box. Despite the fact that the ball was near the Port goal for most of the
half Mostyn still failed to turn that into chances on goal, Andy Edwards had
one of their best chances one minute from the interval with a shot from 25
    Port managed to come back with a lucky goal in the last minute of the
half after the ball was stopped by Steve Dowell in the Mostyn goal. But the
ball only went as far as Paul Roberts who hit the ball home into the open
goal. Port were very lucky to be on level terms on half time in a game that
was spoiled by the referee's ridiculous decisions.
    Port started better in the second half. Oliver Hall surged into the box
and passed to Chris Barlow who's shot went the wrong side of the post on 49
minutes. On 64 minutes Steven Pugh, who came on as sub, made a good move
down the right, before crossing to Paul Roberts but his shot went just wide.
The goal finally came on 70 minutes when Aled Owen passed to Olly Hall who
fired home from the side of the box. There were further chances created by
Steven Pugh. He shot wide himself, while another opportunity was wasted by
Chris Barlow. There was a further chance to Olly Hall after good work from
debutante Dave Noel Williams. But there was a blow for Port one minute from
time when Andy Edward's scored with a shot from 25 yards after some poor
marking by Port.
    While it was unlucky for Port to concede at such a late stage, the
result was no less than they deserved after one of the worst performances I
have ever seen. Indeed, they were lucky not to loose after playing so
poorly. If Port are to be promoted back to the League of Wales next season
they can't afford to loose points against teams from the bottom of the


GLANTRAETH..........1 PORTHMADOG..........2

Port new that this would not be an easy game against one of the league's
strongest teams, which featured many ex-Port Players. The 6:30 kick-off
didn't make things any easier with some of the players, including Steven
Pugh, not able to make it to the game because of work commitments.
    Glantraeth were the strongest team in the opening minutes, but failed to
capitalise on their early pressure, a Mike Davies header was well saved by
Phill Owen in the Port goal. Oliver Hall and Paul Roberts again worked
together well, but Roberts' shot after a Hall cross on 15 minutes was not on
target. Dafydd Evans was one of Glantraeth's best players on the night and
he nearly created a chance for Mike Davies, but Richard Hughes managed to
beat him to the ball. Hughes defended well throughout and managed to play
Davies, Glantraeth's biggest threat, out of the game.
    Paul Roberts did get a couple of further chances for the visitors,- one
from 25 yards was only stopped by a brilliant save from Glantraeth's goalie.
But the brake through for Port came from Aled Owen four minutes from the
interval after a period of good pressure. His volley from the side of the
box came after the ball was headed out following a corner, and it left the
keeper with no chance.
    Port took the initiative in the second half, and they started out very
strongly. Paul Roberts, who was kicked relentlessly throughout the match,
came close only one minute after the re-start. He managed to stop the ball
from crossing the line for a free-kick, but his shot at an open goal  went
just the rong side of the post. Port were now putting immense pressure on
the Glantraeth goal and it was only a matter of time before they were able
to extend their lead. The goal came via a blistering Paul Roberts header on
the hour after a brilliant inch perfect free kick from the right by Mike
    There was a scare for Port two minutes later after a Mike Davies header
was cleared on the line by Christian Jarvis. Port had two further chances to
extend their lead further, with both Paul Roberts and Olly Hall coming
close. But a quarter of an hour before the end Glantraeth came back with a
goal form Darren Pritchard after some sloppy defending gave him the space at
the side of box to fire home. From this point onwards it was mostly
Glantraeth pressure, but they never looked like braking down the brave Port
    This may prove a very important victory for Port if they are to return
to the LoW for next season. Glantraeth looked a very good team - they were
unlucky to loose to Cefn Druids on Saturday - and will surely be in the
reckoning at the end of the season.

P. Owen, C. Harrison, G. Jones (N. Roberts), R. Hughes, M. Foster, C. Banks,
A. Owen, C. Jarvis, O. Hall, P. Roberts, C. Barlow.

DENBIGH TOWN..........1 PORTHMADOG..........1

Porthmadog started this match with Paul Roberts, who returned earlier on
this week, making his first apearance for the club since leaving for
Wrexham nearly two years. The other new face in the Porthmadog line-up
today was Emeka Ezeugo, who played 47 games for the Nigerian national side,
including apperances during the world cup in USA '94.
	There was a lively start with both teams getting their fare share of the
possesion. Port, who edged it during the majority of the first half managed
to create some openings but without really testing Denbigh's goalie. Paul
Roberts was beaten to the ball twice, when there was a chance of hitting
the target. But this was not supprising due to the fact that he was very
closely marked throughout the match. 23 minutes into the match, Port's
brakethrough finally came after some good work down the right by Olly Hall.
Hall turnedand ran, leaving four defenders in his wake, and his cross was
met by Chris Barlow who didn't hesitate to knock the ball to the back of
the net. Denbigh also had their chances with both number 7 and 9 coming
close, but Phill Owen in the Port goal wasn't really put under any great
	Denbigh started the second half with grater intent, managing to put more
pressure on the Port defence. The home team's number 8 found a gap in the
Port defence on the hour, but  his shot was far to weak. 2 minutes later he
was involved in an incident where he should surely have been sent off. He
ran clumsily into Phill Owen when no one else was within ten yards while he
was miles off side. But the referee in his wisdom decided that yellow was
enough. Paul Roberts turned into the provider minutes later, when his
header accross the box reached Chris Barlow whose shot was stopped by the
feet of the goalie. This was followed by two attempts at chiping the
goalie. The first from Oliver Hall, and the second from Roberts from over
30 yards out.
	The Port defence showed some weakness at times, and Denbigh could and
should have capitalised on more than one occasion - number 10's shot was
only stopped by a superb save from Phill Owen. Paul Roberts again showed
that he wasn't only there to tap the ball accros the line, when he was once
again the provider. His pass to Mike Foster nearly resulted in a goal;
Foster's shot shaved the post. Chris Banks also had two good shots on goal
in the final minutes, but it was Denbigh Town who had the last laugh.
Number 10 was pulled down in the box after one minute of time added on had
been played, a penalty was given and number 4 duely converted todeny Port
their 3 points right at the last.
	So, a dissapointing end to the match for Port after nearly holding out for
the final whistle. Denbigh Town's run of matches against teams who were
relegated from the LoW last terms ended in a victory and two draws.


P. Owen, N. Jatt, C. Harrison, M. Foster, E. Ezeugo, R. Hughes [N. Roberts], C.
Banks, A. Owen, O. Hall, P. Roberts, C. Barlow [A. Thomas]


Porthmadog took only seven minutes to find the target when Oliver Hall hit
a superb effort from 18 yards and the hosts never looked back.
	Hotspur conceded a second goal to Hall again on 39 minutes when he applied
a clinical finish from12 yards to a slick move with Steve Pugh.
	Porthmadog added further strikes through Christian Jarvis on the hour and
Chris Barlow after 77 minutes.
	Report from the Daily Post.


Porthmadog and Cefn Druids slogged out an uninspiring goal-less draw.
	Cefn Druids, who took third place in the league last time, allmost scored
twice inside 60 seconds when Mike Davies and Alan Goodwin were both denied
by goal-line clerances.
	But Porthmadog thought they were due a penalty later when Chris Barlow's
shot apeared to be handled by Aled Rowlands.
	Report from the Daily Post.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us