CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Oswestry Town (a) | Ruthin (a) | Flint Town (h) | Cemaes (h) | Hollywell (h) | Cemaes Bay (h) |
| Glantraeth (h) | Llanfairfechan (a) | Buckley Town (h) | Llandudno (a) | Brymbo Braughton (h) |
| Welshpool Town (a) |
WELSHPOOL TOWN.........2 PORTHMADOG..........3

Port entered this Ďmust winí game, with high hopes following a run of 3 wins
on the trot. However, they got off to the worse possible start at a bitterly
cold Maesydre ground.
    Welshpool dominated the opening encounters, and should have been more
severely punished after only three minutes, following a defensive mix up.
Luckily, their blushes were spared as Craig Tate shot wildly over the bar.
This was only a stay of execution as on 8 minutes, from a disputed free
kick, the ball was crossed into a crowded Porthmadog box for Mark Davies to
head the opening goal.
    The goal seemed to spur on Porthmadog more than it did Welshpool, and it
was only a minute later that Paul Roberts had Port's first chance of the
game. Mats Pehrsson threaded great pass to the striker, only for his run to
be cut short by a Welshpool defender. Roberts battled back to retrieve the
ball only to see his final shot go wide of the post. Port were by now
dominating the game, and so it was no shock when, on 12 minutes, Paul
Roberts opened the visitor's account with an unstoppable shot into the top
corner. The supplier again was Swedish striker, Mats Pehrsson, with a great
    Mats could have scored himself on 16 minutes following a pass from his
twin brother - Mattias, but his shot was well saved by Steve Goodwin.
However, provider turned goal scorer 3 minutes later as Mattias Pehrsson
blasted in from 15 yards from a Paul Roberts cross. All this came following
a good ball out of defence from Cambell Harrison.
    Port were running rampant at this point, and it seemed that they would
score a hat full. Nevertheless, the next chance of the game came to
Welshpool on the break. Russ Dealtry attempting a long range shot, which
bought out the best in Pill Owen in goal. On 28 minutes, Port got further
reward for all their possession, when Paul Roberts grabbed his second of the
game. Mattias Pehrsson saw his initial shot tipped past the post, but from
the resulting free kick, Roberts shot through a cluster of players into the
back of the net.
    Neil Roberts, who had a good game, could have scored, following good
inter play with Mats Pehrsson, but Port took their foot of the pedal in the
final minutes and Welshpool had more of the possession, without really
creating anything.
    The second half started in much the same vein as the first had begun,
with Welshpool getting the best of a scrappy period of play. Craig Tate
caused the Porthmadog defence some difficulty, with his surging runs. On 56
minutes it took a last gasp tackle to stop a run, in which he had gone
passed 5 Port defenders. Paul Roberts, who probably had his best game of the
season so far, bought out the best in Steve Goodwin, with a shot from a
Jason Joyce cross on the hour.
    Port had relaxed moo much at this point, and were letting Welshpool have
too much of the possession. Mark Davies headed past the post on 63 minutes,
but 4 minutes later his striking partner, Russell Dealtry, went one better.
From his shot, through a crowd of players, Phil Owen could only half save
and had to watch as the ball trickled over the line to make it 3-2.
    From that point on Port had much more of the possession, and Paul
Roberts was denied brilliantly twice by great saves from Steve Goodwin.
Welshpool did enough on the break to make the Port contingent worry, even
though they had no clear cut shots on goal, but it remained at 3-2 until the
final whistle. A good result, and a good first half performance, but the
defence is leaking too many silly goals, and they will have to perform
better in two weeks time when Port travel to Cefn Mawr to meet Flexis Cefn
It's just nice to be back on top of the league - even it's only temporary!

P. Owen, C. Harrison, M. Foster, R. Hughes, C. Banks, J. Joyce, Mattias
Pehrsson, N. Barry, N. Roberts, Mats Pehrsson (P. Thomas), P. Roberts.
Subs not used: O. Hall, N. Jatt.


PORTHMADOG..........3 BRYMBO BROHTON..........1

    With Flexys Cefn Druids not taking part in league action this week-end,
it was a chance for Port to close the gap for a short while at least against
Brymbo Broughton who were second from bottom. This game was also the home
debut of the Swedish twins Matts and Mattias Pehrsson who both scored in
their league debut against Llandudno last week-end.
    The game started lively with Port putting pressure on the visitors right
from the off. This pressure resulted in their first chance on the Brymbo
Braughton goal after 10 minutes after Richard Hughes' cross was met by a
Mattias Pehrsson header on the left which went just wide on the near post.
Mattias again had a chance to score on 21 minutes after he combined with his
brother Matts, but his shot was this time disappointing. The twins combined
again 4 minutes later, Mattias was unlucky not to add his name to the
score-sheet this time. This was followed by more pressure which resulted in
a goal mouth scramble where Paul Roberts and Mattias Pehrsson both came
    One of the visitor's few chances came 10 minutes from the interval, when
Phill Owen had to leave his box to make a clearance after some lack-lustre
defending on behalf of the home team. It was therefore no surprise when Port
took the lead through Neil Roberts 5 minutes later after some good work by
Paul Roberts. Neil Roberts' shot from outside the box, took a deflection on
it's way across the line, to leave Kevin Andrews wrong footed.
    When Port came out for the second half they played with less pattern,
which gave Brymbo Braughton the chance to increase their attacks on the Port
goal. Gareth Williams headed goalwards on 53 minutes, but it was a
comparatively easy save for Phill Owen. However, Port were still the best
team, and were unlucky not to further their lead on the hour, after Nigel
Barry beat the off-side trap, but failed to chip the goalie. But this was
only a stay of execution for the visitor's as Mattias Pehrsson score his
second for the club, after a brilliant pass from Chris Banks left him
completely clear, with only the goalie to beat. This was a good period for
Port, and there were long distance efforts from both Banks and Neil Roberts
that came very close.
    But after this Port pulled their foot off the gas, and the customary
goal by their opponents in the last 10 minutes, was no less than they
deserved. It was very poor defending that lead to this goal on 83 minutes by
Craig Goodwin. He was given plenty of space in the box to score from close
range, as the Port stood ball watching in the box. Port had plenty of
chances to further their lead after this Mike Foster's free kick going just
past the post, and Chris Barlow should have done better, after finding
himself free in the visitor's half with only the goalie to beat in the last
minute. But the goal that secured the victory came two minutes into time
added on for injuries, after a great solo goal by Mike Foster. He made a
brilliant run down the left side of the pitch, before placing the ball in
the bottom corner of the net.
    This should have been a comfortable win for Port, who controlled the
match nearly from start to end. But their defending, that was all over the
place at times, and their failure to create enough chances from their
possession for their strikers somewhat prevented this. Port are now in
second place, one point behind Cefn Druids, but the league leaders have
three games in hand.

P. Owen, N. Jatt, C. Banks, C. Harrison, M. Foster, R. Hughes, N. Barry, N.
Robetrs, Mattias Pehrsson, Matts Pehrsson (P. Thomas), P. Roberts (C.


LLANDUDNO..........1 PORTHMADOG..........2
Port visited Llandudno today for a vital match if they are to get their
faltering promotion challenge back on course. Added interest in this game
was provided by the League debuts of Swedish twins Mats and Mattheus
Perhsson.Both were prominently featured in Saturday's Western Mail and will
again on S4C's programme 'Gol'.
 Port started brightly enough but the first shot on goal came from Llandudno
after 5 mins.After 10 mins Port hit back a deep ball from Joyce, which found Barry
in space near the corner flag. he cut the ball back but Mats Perhsson shot
over from 10 yds.Then on 14 mins Mike Foster's right footed (!!) lob, from a
Paul Roberts cut back, was just over. Steady pressure now from Port and
there was good work by Foster and Mats Perhsson on left followed a moment or
two later by a fierce Joyce shot from the edge of the area. Port were
unlucky not to take the lead after 26 mins when Mattheus Pehrsson headed on
to the bar following a long throw-in by Richard Hughes.
    As has often happened a period of sustained Port pressure without a goal
leads to a sudden break by the opposition and this happened again today.A
shot from the edge of the Port area on the right bobbled on the extremely
uneven surface and Llandudno were 1-0 up.
At the other end the uneven surface came to the home side's aid when Mats
was put through by Barry only for the ball to bounce awkwardly as he
shot.Half-time was reached with Llandudno enjoying more of the game and
retaining their 1-0 lead.
    With only 3 mins of the second half gone Port were back on level
terms.Mats Pehrsson fed Paul Roberts just inside the Llandudno half on the
left. Roberts worked the ball along the flank and his excellent near post
cross was flicked in by Mats. A quality goal by the Swedish striker from a
fine move. 10 minutes later after a melee near the halfway line  and  the
resultant loss of temper, saw the Llandudno defender dismissed for
stamping.The game now became rather bad tempered and Leighton Sumner of
Llandudno and, of all people ,Nigel Barry received yellow cards.After 25
mins Port took the lead when a Neal Roberts cross from the right was met by
a Paul Roberts header directed to the feet of Mattheuss Pehrsson who worked his
way past two defenders before sliding the ball into the net.
    After this Port had one or two shots on goal but did not really threaten
and allowed the 10 men of Llandudno back into the game.With 10 mins left
Paul Roberts , who had supplied the final pass for both goals, was withdrawn
to be replaced by Peter Thomas. Port supporters were left to sweat out
another nail biting finish as Llandudno forced several corners. But on this
occasion the defence held out and Port ran out 2-1 winners.
    A game which saw two excellent Port goals will leave supporters looking
forward to more of the Paul Roberts/ Mats Pehrsson combination. Overall the
Port performance still lacked the pattern of play needed to mount a
challenge to leaders Cefn Druids.

Owen, Hughes, Harrison, Joyce, Banks, Foster(capt.), Barry, Neal Roberts,
Mattheus Pehrsson, Mats Pehrsson, Paul Roberts ( Thomas) Subs not used:
Jatt, Barlow.

Gareth Williams.

PORTHMADOG..........4 BUCKLEY TOWN..........1

    After Port's humiliation last week in the North Wales Challenge Cup it
was imperative that they put a better performance together today in the
league cup against Buckley Town. It seemed that this would be the case, when
on 4 minutes they came close after a goal-mouth scramble where Peter Thomas'
effort was cleared off the line. This was followed by  Neil Roberts shot
from 25 yards that went just inches wide.
    But it was clear that Port weren't going to have it all their own way,
as Buckley started to push into the Port half. However the pressure was not
converted into clear chances, and Buckley's only chance early on, came after
20 minutes. Graham Randles who was clean through, was in collision with
Phill Owen in the Port goal and the ball trickled goalwards, leaving Jason
Joyce plenty of time to clear the ball away comfortably.
    It was a solo effort from Richard Hughes that gave Port one of their
firs good chance. He managed to successfully take on 3 defenders before
unleashing his shot that was athletically palmed off by J. Pearce. This was
a good spell for Port, and it was only a matter of time before they
capitalised. The goal that came for Oliver Hall, who had a good performance,
on 32 minutes was down to very poor defending. Hall had the time to have 3
efforts on scoring before volleying the ball into the corner of the net as
the Buckley defence looked on. This was followed 4 minutes later, by a good
chance for Richard Hughes but his shot went inches wide from close range
after Paul Roberts hit the ball across the face of the goal.
    Six minutes from the interval, Buckley hit back with what can only be
described as a lucky goal. Steve Allen was the one who had the easy task of
converting into the open net after the substitute for Buckley had chipped
the goalie. But things didn't stay on level terms for long. Richard Hughes
tapped in on the near-post after Paul Roberts' shot had gone across the face
of the goal, following good work on the left from Olly Hall and Mike Foster.
It could be said that this was the fair result on half time, however Port's
performance was far from convincing.
    Port controlled the second half, and had they extended themselves fully
and had the rub of the green, could have smashed Buckley to oblivion. In the
third minute of the half, Olly Hall made a good run down the right, but
Peter Thomas couldn't quite extend to hit the ball home. On 55 minutes, Neil
Roberts who is always willing to try a shot, came close with another long
range effort. But on 67 minutes Port's lead was finally extended as Paul
Roberts received a long-range pass from Mike Foster, before controlling it
and knocking it into the bottom left corner of the net, for his 11th goal
this season.
    Roberts was the one creating 5 minutes later crossing the ball into the
box to Peter Thomas, but a defender beat Thomas to the ball. Two minutes
later Buckley were down to 10 men after Dave Powell unleashed a reckless
tackle on Olly Hall for a second bookable offence. Following this it was
clear that Buckley were out of the game, indeed they only had two chances in
the second half. Graham Randles was clear in front of goal, but was to
hesitant which left plenty of time for Jason Joyce to dispossess him and end
any danger. The other chance for Steve Allen went inches over the bar.
    In the final minutes Port had many chances to extend their lead further.
Mike Foster and Peter Thomas were both unlucky to add their names to the
score sheet. But Peter Thomas was lucky enough to get another crack of the
whip during injury time  and he made sure that he wasn't going to miss
again. He knocked the ball into the net from the side of the box after good
work by substitute Chris Barlow to make it 4-1.
    Port now go through to the next round of a cup competition for the first
time since winning the North Wales Cost Challenge Cup in the 1995/96 season.

P. Owen, R. Hughes, C. Banks, J, Joyce, C. Harrison, M. Foster, N. Barry,
O.Hall (C. Barlow), N. Roberts, P.Roberts, P. Thomas.
Subs not used: N. Jatt, D. Rowlands.



From the start this was a lack-lustre performance by Port against opponents
from the Gwynedd League in the North Wales Coast Challenge Cup.After 10 mins
Phil Owen needed a full length dive to save a header from  his own defender
Colin Saynor. Llanfairfechan made good use of the strong wind, blowing in
their favour, to put Port under early pressure.After 20 mins the ball had to
be scrambled off the Port line with the goalkeeper beaten.The thick mud in
the penalty area at the Port end resulted in Nigel Barry losing his footing
and slipped against a Llanfair attacker, and to everyone's surprise referee
Kevin Jones pointed to the spot.Justice was done , however, thanks to Phil
Owen's diving save from the resulting penalty.Port did come more into the
game for a time but Llanfairfechan could count themselves unlucky to reach
half-time with the score remaining 0-0.

The second half opened with Port in far more determined mood. With the wind
at their backs they constructed a good move along the left but Barry shot
wide from 10 yds.It was now a case of constant Port pressure but the final
pass or steadiness in front of goal was absent.Then after 75 mins Llanfair
were awarded a free-kick from 25yds following a foul by Colin Saynor.
Barrett fired in the kick with the Port keeper seemingly unsighted. Llanfair
were ahead. 4 mins. later Port were back on level terms when Banks put
Barlow through on the left and his low cross was met by Paul Roberts running
in. Port now piled on the pressure but they were not able to turn pressure
into goals.Olly Hall who had spent time on the wing was substituted together
with Aled Owen. Hall still awaits his chance in the middle of the attack
where he might well be more effective.Time ran out with the score still 1-1.

A period of extra time was played. Jarvis, at last on as sub, drove
powerfully and it took a good save to foil him. Paul Roberts missed with the
goal at his mercy. There were no additions to the score and a Penalty shoot
out ensued.This ended 4-3 to Llanfairfechan and they were delighted with
their win. Turning pressure into goals remains a major problem for Port.
Owen, Harrison, Saynor,(Jarvis), Joyce, Foster, Owen (N. Roberts), Barry,
Banks, Hall (J.Parry),Barlow , Paul Roberts.
One of the stars of the game was undoubtedly Referee Kevin Owen, who at
Cemaes entertained us with his stopping watch. Today his speciality was card
tricks.He gave out 10 yellows and 1 red in a game played in a good
spirit.Well done

PORTHMADOG..........0  GLANTRAETH.........1

A game played in heavy hail showers provided some very good neat football
from both sides in the first half. Port had the better of the early
exchanges and it took 11 mins for Glantraeth to produce their first
shot.Bursts down the flanks by Richard Hughes and Neil Jatt threatened with
Paul Roberts also looking dangerous despite being marked closely.
    After 28mins a good move by Aled Owen and Paul Roberts resulted in
Roberts' shot being deflected for a corner.At the other end a good run by
Darren Pritchard saw a shot going just over the bar.Port were now playing
well with the midfield of Nigel Barry, Chris Jarvis and Aled Owen setting up
a series of excellent moves.After 31 mins Jarvis put the ball in the net
only to see it disallowed for an infringement.With Port pressing for an
interval lead Joyce came close with a curling free-kick.But on half-time a
Dafydd Evans cross found Mike Davies free in the box and the Port defence
had to scramble it clear.Half time arrived with the score still 0-0 and Port
could  count themselves unfortunate not to be at least one goal ahead.
    Port made the early attacks after the interval. Then Glantraeth launched
a series of good attacks with Dafydd Evans and Darren Pritchard
prominent.After 58mins only great anticipation by Phil Owen saved Port with
Mike Davies through on goal. After 65 mins Christian Jarvis who had been so
prominent in the Port midfield was surprisingly substituted by Chris Barlow.
    With Glantraeth now taking charge the inevitable goal came after 72 mins
when the ball was not cleared and ran across the area to find Jonathan Parry
free to score from close range. Port looked increasingly ragged now and more
and more errors and inaccurate passing crept into their play.Two defenders
came on as subs Banks and Neal Roberts instead of Jatt and James Parry. What
had been needed from the start was someone to give Paul Roberts greater
support up front.( Olly Hall?)
    Although Port threw players forward and came close on one or two
occasions they were unable to open up the Glantraeth defence.What had
started so promisingly for Port ended in a disappointing 1-0 defeat. With
Cefn winning 9-1, Port are dropping behind in the race.

Port: P.Owen, Harrison ,Joyce ,Parry , Hughes, Jatt, A.Owen, Barry, Jarvis,
P.Thomas, P. Roberts. Subs: N Roberts ,Barlow, Banks.

PORTHMADOG..........2 CEMAES BAY..........2

On a night of strong winds those present saw ,what was probably ,the poorest
match of the season so far.The conditions had their effect but so lacking in
any pattern was the play that nothing of note happened until the 28th minute
when the Port defence failed to clear their lines and Hughes picked up a
loose ball and drove from 25yds. into the roof of the net.
    There followed a better spell for Cemaes with Owen going close after
35mins and shortly after Owen was forced to make a diving save at the foot
of the post.On 42 mins Cemaes broke on the right and switched the ball
inside to Whelan whose powerful shot was well saved by Owen. It took Port
45mins to get their first real shot at goal and it fell to stalwart defender
Colin Saynor ,making a welcome return to the team, to shoot just wide.
    Port came out in more determined fashion after the interval with
substitute Olly Hall -on for Geraint Jones- soon finding himself in the
thick of the action.After 50 mins came the break that Port had been hoping
for when a header down from Nigel Barry's corner on the left reached Paul
Roberts whose fierce shot was blocked.On hand was Richard Huges to force in
the equaliser.Inconsistency still badly effected Port's play and following
successive defensive blunders it needed two outstanding saves by Phil Owen
to keep them on level terms.
    Gradually ,however, the visitors were gaining the upper hand and on the
hour Paul Roberts drove into the net only for his goal to be disallowed for
off-side. Another Barry corner on the left and Port took the lead after 64
mins when Peter Thomas drove the ball through a crowded penalty area and
into the net.
    Cemaes were not prepared to lie down and continued to press forward and
after 82 mins it took a saving tackle by Foster with the defence wide
open.Port have developed the knack of shooting themselves in the foot and
this proved to be no exception. On this occasion they were helped by a
referee who had forgotten to wind his watch and in the 7th minute of
"injury time!!!" an overhead kick by Whelan across the goal was met by a
Cemaes defender running into the box for the equaliser.There was hardly time
to restart before the highly controversial Kevin Owen blew the final
    Disappointing for Port but hardly a convincing performance.There was
little control in midfield and a failure to keep possession of the ball for
any length of time. This often resulted from the lack of movement off the
ball and an inability to create any space. Indeed the only player who seemed
to have time on the ball and who made room for himself was former Port
player Paul Whelan.

Porthmadog: Phil Owen, C.Harrison J. Joyce, C. Saynor,(C.Barlow) G.
ones( O.Hall) M.Foster, C.Banks, N.Barry, R.Hughes, P.Thomas, P.Roberts. Sub
not used N. Roberts.

Second Team result Port 6 Pwllheli 3  Oliver Hall scoring 4 goals.

Gareth Williams

PORTHMADOG..........0 HOLLYWELL TOWN..........2

Port new that they had a point to prove in this Welsh Cup tie against
Hollywell, who took their place in the League of Wales last year despite the
fact that they only finished second in the Cymru Alliance championship. Port
were again strengthened by the fact that team captain Mike Foster was still
in the starting line-up, with his move to Aber put on hold because they were
having cash problems (I don't know how this happened with the team receiving
£500,000 sponsorship from Safeways)
    Port were indeed the best team in the first half, with Hollywell having
to depend on breaks into the other half to try and create a scoring
opportunities. Their best two chances came after 15 minutes of the match
with both their number 3 and 4 coming close only to be denied by Phill Owen.
Before this, Port had two good scoring opportunity's with Steven Pugh and
Paul Roberts both coming close.
    There was good work by Paul Roberts and Steven Pugh, which should surely
have resulted in a goal. On 18 minutes Roberts made a break down the left,
but his shot which was curling goalwards went inches wide. Ten minutes later
Pugh's cross from the left to David Williams was intercepted by Lee Edwards
in the Hollywell goal. A couple of minutes later came the best chance for
Port to score in the game. Pugh passed the ball across the box to Paul
Roberts who attempted to shoot the ball into the net, but instead of flying
into the net, the ball bobbled harmlessly across the line for a goal kick.
Just before the interval there was a further chance for Roberts, but the
goalie punished it away as he lined up to head it home.
    The second half was a totally different affair, with both teams playing
poorly. But if Hollywell were playing badly in this half, Port were playing
ten times worse. After five minutes of the half, the Wellmen were in the
lead, with their number 10 scoring on the second attempt after a goal-mouth
scramble. Port did have a good chance to equalise ten minutes later when
Steven Pugh made a good solo run into the Hollywell half. He passed two
defenders before being fouled. The linesman raised his flag to tell the
referee that this was a definite foul, but the ref, who was at least 20
yards from the incident, decided that this wasn't a foul, and waived play
on. (This was obviously part of the policy by all LoW referee's, not to give
fouls to Pugh unless he has broken his leg.) A minute later Paul Roberts'
shot went just inches wide.
    On 70 minutes, Port were further behind, after a defensive error by
Geraint Jones. He gave the ball away to Hollywell's number 9, after trying
to play the ball out of defence, when he should have hoofed it into the
stand. For some reason, many supporters who experienced a severe case of
sour grapes, blamed this goal on Mike Foster and started to shout "Go to
Aber". In my view it is a great pity that these people have forgotten all
that Mike has done for the club so quickly.
    There were a few chances for Port to come back with a goal in the
closing stages. Steven Pugh, who was Port's man of the match, came close
when his long rang effort shook the cross-bar one minute from time. Olly
Hall also came close in the final minute. But on the end of the day, Port
lost the game with their failure to convert chances in the first half.

P. Owen, G. Jones, J. Joyce, C. Harrison, M. Foster, J. Parry, R. Hughes (C.
Banks), N. Roberts (O. Hall), D. Williams (C. Jarvis), S. Pugh, P. Roberts.


PORTHMADOG..........3 CEMAES BAY..........1

The game started in pouring rain which was being swept across from the town
end.After a quiet start Port began to assert themselves and Harrison's long
cross  from the right needed a fingertip save from Paul Roberts'
header.Cemaes counter attacked and Owen in the Port goal produced an
excellent save.On 11 mins an Aled Owen cross was touched on by Paul Roberts
and Pugh shot just over. A minute later  a Paul Roberts header from a free
kick on the right by Foster was touched over the bar by the keeper.
    On 28 mins a long ball out of defence found Paul Roberts on the burst.
He cut inside and his low shot found the right hand corner of the net.Cemaes
rarely threatened now and after 35 mins good defensive work by Geraint Jones
released the ball to midfield and a through ball was collected by Paul
Roberts.He broke quickly and a powerful right foot shot flew into the top
right hand corner.With Port seemingly well on top, Cemaes managed a rare
break on 44mins and a left wing cross was volleyed through a static Port
defence by the visitors No. 10. Port had controlled most of the first half
and deserved a more convincing lead than 2-1 at half-time.
    Cemaes started the second half in lively fashion but gradually Port
forced their way back into the game and on 55 and 59 mins Joyce came close
with headers from Foster's corner kicks.Cemaes were still in the game
however and Port had to scramble clear from a corner on 65mins and it
required a shirt tug by Geraint Jones to halt another Cemaes attack.After 72
mins James Parry,who was having a successful time in the Port midfield,
burst through and with a well timed pass put Paul Roberts through. Coolly he
rounded the goalie and completed an excellent hat-trick and taking his
season's goal tally to 9.
    Port were in control now and Cemaes only threatened occasionally such as
when Owen punched clear.Substitute David Noel Williams produced some tricky
runs near the end and Port ran out comfortable winners by 3-1 and placed
themselves on the top of the table.

Gareth Willaims

PORTHMADOG..........1 FLINT TOWN UTD...........0
    Port new, going into this game, that anything less than full points
would not go down very well. Port's unbeaten run this season came to an end
against Oswestry Town last week and the rot had to be stopped before it even
set in. This was in the absence of Mike Foster who was injured. Foster was
back this week for what will probably be his last game for the club before
he joins Aberystwyth. This will be a great loss, a point highlighted in the
very first minute of the match when Mike cleared the ball from Flint's
number eight after he had found himself clear in the Port half of the field.
    The first half was scrappy with very little incident (indeed, one of the
most exciting incident in the first half was when a rabbit made a run across
the field). It could be said that Port were the ones who edged it in the
first half, but only just. One of Port's best chances was when Geraint
Jones' cross was met by a freak touch off the foot of Paul Roberts, which
left the goalie stranded but luckily for Flint the ball came off the bar.
Flint came close mid-way through the half after a mistake by Geraint Jones
put the ball right in the path of Flint's number 9, who passed it to number
8, but his shot was brilliantly saved by Phill Owen
   Port might feel that they were unlucky not to take the lead after it
seemed that Mike Foster had scored with a shot straight from a corner, but
the linesman decided that the ball hadn't crossed the line. The other
notable incidents in the first half were Chris Jarvis' opportunity for Port,
a brilliant save by Phill Owen for Port on the half-hour, and the free-kick
given after Steven Pugh was pulled down just outside the box.
    The start of the second half was much livelier than that of the first,
but only for a short while. In the first minute Oliver Hall tried to chip
the goalie, who managed to get his fingertips to the ball. But it only went
as far as Paul Roberts who should have done better, but his shot went right
across the face of the goal from close-range. Seconds later Steven Pugh did
well to turn his man, before setting Christian Jarvis free, but his shot was
again disappointing.
    It must be said that one of Port's best players was Phill Owen in the
goal, as he managed to pull off a string of fine saves. He was put under
pressure on more than one occasion by Flint's number 8 (I didn't manage to
catch his name), who was one of their most influential players. The second
half was very even, and there wasn't much to say between both sides.
    The breakthrough for the home team came half way through the second
half, with a brilliant individual goal by Paul Roberts. He went on his own
through the entire Flint half of the pitch, leaving defenders in his wake,
before unleashing his shot into the open goal in front of him. This
brilliant effort by Roberts was enough to separate the teams. Despite the
fact that he had a quiet game apart from this, there was no-one complaining,
because that is what they pay him for - to win matches.

P. Owen, J. Joyce, C. Harison, G. Jones, R. Hughes, M. Foster, A. Owen,
O.Hall (N. Roberts), C. Jarvis (J. Parry), P.Roberts, S Pugh.


RUTHIN..........1 PORTHMADOG..........1

    The first half of this match was almost completely dominated by
Porthmadog after only 2 minutes a Steve Humphreys cross was headed goalwards
by Hall only to he saved by Nathan Pope . Port had the majority of
possession with Ruthin hardly threatening. Aled Owen was presented with a
guilt edged chance on 28 minutes when some neat passes were interchanged on
the edge of the box which allowed Owen to surge into the box but with only
Pope to beat he put his shot inches wide. The break through duly arrived 5
minutes later another Humphreys cross was flicked on by Richard Hughes and
Paul Roberts hammered home from 15 yards on the volley. A minute later arid
Port came ever so near to doubling their advan-tage. Break down the inside
left channel by Barlow, his cross was headed goal bound by the effective
Richard Hughes only for Pope to make a remarkable reaction save to deny him.
The Humphreys Hughes partnership clicked again three minutes before
half-time, but Hughes was the provider this time setting Humphreys up but
his header was again well saved by the impressive Pope.
    The second period and the match was much more even. the introduction of
sub Rob Jones bringing more urgency to the lacklustre Ruthin attack. Indeed
it was Jones who got in Ruthin's first shot on goal on 67 minutes following
a good solo run, but his effort went mar-ginally over the bar. Jones had
another effort after 74 minutes but this time straight at Owen. Ruthin's
best chance fell two minutes later when a header from Tim Dyer was cleared
off the line by Foster. The match seemed destined for a Port win but deep in
injury time a swift break down the left by Ruthin the cross into the box
found the unmarked Mike Payne who applied the finishing touch from 6 yards.
A very disappointing result considering our first half domination.

Gerallt Owen.

OSWESTRY TOWN..........2 PORTHMADOG..........1

    Again last Saturday it was Porthmadog who had the best of the first
half. The Port goal came early on after only 14 minutes following good work
by Barlow on the left, his cross found Steve Humphreys and his header was
too good for Salisbury the Oswestry keeper. Two min-utes later and Humphreys
went close again this time shooting into the side netting. On 20 minutes it
was Paul Roberts who fired on goal but his effort was saved by Salisbury. It
took 28 minutes for the home teams first serious effort when Tim Nunnerly
hit the bar from 6 yards following good work by Price. Two minutes later and
Roberts was within a whisker of putting Port further ahead when his header
went inches wide. The half finishing with Humphreys again putting in a
teasing cross which Barlow was within inches of reaching with the goal at
his mercy. The second half in what has become an all too familiar story was
very different with Oswestry holding the upper hand. Port did have an appeal
for a penalty turned down right at the start of the second half when Pugh
was seemingly pulled down in the box by Morris. Five minutes after the
restart Oswestry were level after Danny Barton broke free and rounded Owen
before slotting home from close range. Port's reply was immediate when Pugh
blasted marginally over from 10 yards. Port were fortunate not to go behind
after 63 minutes but Barton was judged to be offside. Neil Salisbury was
forced to pull off an excel-lent save on 67 minutes to deny the impressive
Humphreys. The game wore on but with chances at a minimum until a minute
from time when Justin Wickham beat two defenders before thundering a shot
from 25 yards past the helpless Owen. This was a result that has been coming
for a couple of weeks and may provide the wake up call the team needs.

Gerallt Owen.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us