CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Glantraeth [WC] (a) | Buckley (h) | Guilsfield (a) | Rhuthun (a) | Caergybi/Holyhead (h) | Wyddgrug/Mold (a) |
| Llandudno (h) | Cemaes Bay (h) |

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League   -Saturday, December 14th

Porthmadog................... 5    Cemaes ....................... 2
Dafydd Evans(pen0 1             Alan Jones 68
Carl Stephenson(og) 8            Lee Dixon 79
Gareth Caughter 15
Carl Owen 82
Gareth Parry 88

    It was a case of handing out the early Christmas presents as the
visitors went two goals down in the first 8 mins. They started by conceding
a clear penalty in the first minute when Carl Owen chasing a long ball on
the right of the penalty box was brought down and Dafydd Evans, who put away
two from the spot last week, added to his tally with another confident
strike. This goal puts Dafydd at the top of Port's league scorers list for
this season with 8 goals -an excellent tally for a midfielder.
    The early presents were not over, however, for Cemaes central defender,
Carl Stephenson, after only 8 mins put the ball into his own net thanks to a
misunderstanding between him and keeper Darren Baker. Cemaes' troubles were
still far from over for after only 15 mins they were three down. This time
it was a goal from open play and the result of an excellent build up and
finish. Dafydd Evans started the move with an excellent pass which found
Mike Foster in space on the left. The defender progressed to the bye-line
before sending over a perfect cross which was met by Gareth Caughter's well
judged leap to head beyond Baker's outstretched hands.
    Even now Cemaes' first half woes were not over for 20 mins into the half
and they had to substitute their keeper and bring on Jamie Roberts. Then
just as half-time was approaching  Carl Stephenson capped an already
miserable afternoon by receiving a red card from referee Hag Harris for a
professional foul. Port sub Steve Cooper had raced on to a well weighted
Gareth Caughter through ball and, as he reached the edge of the box with
only the keeper to beat, he was pulled down from behind by Stephenson.
    The home side found themselves 3-0 up at the break without reaching
anywhere near the high standards of last week against Llandudno. They could
have been even further ahead for Carl Owen had come close with a header from
another excellent Foster cross and Tony Williams had struck the bar with a
fine shot from the right hand touchline.
    Reduced to 10 men the visitors were determined not to cave in and allow
Port to pile on the goals. In fact in the second period it was the home
side's turn to hand out the Christmas goodies.After Parry and Owen had been
just off target with headers and Steve Pugh had one cleared off the line
following a Foster corner the home side relaxed and, after 68 mins, Cemaes
took advantage of a free-kick in a central position just outside the area
and Alan Jones beat the wall and keeper Ken Jones to find the net.
    This did not prove to be enough of a wake-up call for Port and soon
after Lee Williams went close with a well judged lob the visitors narrowed
the lead to a single goal, in the 79th min, when Lee Dixon took advantage of
a defensive mix-up  latching on to a poor defensive header. This meant that
the home side had conceded more than a single goal for the first time in the
league this season.
    The home side had now realised the potential danger and after 82 mins
Carl Owen collected the ball 10 yds into the Cemaes half on the right. He
then went on a superb run' holding off three challenges before cutting
across the box past two more defenders and rounding off with a well placed
shot into the corner of the net. Just before the end came the fifth when
Gareth Parry took advantage of some poor defence and scored from close range
following skipper Mike Foster's corner from the right.
    While this was not one of Port's better performances  they added to
their considerable goal tally and in fact the Port faithful have seen 16
goals in the last three appearances at Y Traeth. This result was made even
sweeter by the news that Ruthin had been held to a home draw and Port now
head the league by 8pts.

Port: Ken Jones, John G. Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike Foster(capt),
Dafydd Evans( Steve Cooper), Gareth Parry, Ritchie Owen, Tony Williams(Steve
Pugh), Gareth Caughter, Carl Owen.
Sub not used: Iwan Roberts.

Cemaes: Darren Baker(Jamie Hughes), Lee Dixon, Iwan Williams, Carl
Stephenson, Mark Orme, Steve Gilmour, Adam Shillcock, Gareth Owen, Lee
Williams, Alan Jones, Oliver Edwards.
Subs: Danny Mercer, Stuart Moore.

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Huws Gray Fitlock League  -Saturday, December 7th.

Porthmadog ............... 6            Llandudno .......... 1
Lee Webber 13                            Rene Pinard 56(pen)
Dafydd Evans 27(pen),68,82(pen).
Carl Owen 34
Ritchie Owen 78.

    The grey December day was lit up by another fine Port performance in
front of a larger than usual crowd -hopefully an indication that local
people are at last beginning to realise the quality of the football now
being served up by Viv Williams' team. Both sides started brightly and
clearly indicated their intentions to play a passing game but it was the
home side were the first to threaten when after 5 mins it took a goal-line
clearance by James Cornish to keep out Gareth Parry's low shot following a
Mike Foster corner.
    The home side dominated the early play with strikers Carl Owen and Dave
Farr continuing their excellent recent form and seriously testing the
Llandudno defence. Following a Carl Owen run and cross, Farr's shot was
diverted for a corner and defender Lee Webber rose above everyone at the
back post to meet Dafydd Evans' corner.  Llandudno keeper Phil Owen could
only parry his header into the roof of the net after 13 mins. The visitors
threatened briefly when deputy keeper Ken Jones had to recover quickly after
failing to gather cleanly when under pressure from Richards.
    Soon the action was back at the Llandudno end with Owen and Farr
pressurising the visitors defence until, after 27 mins, Carl Owen was
brought down in the box by defender James Kincaid. Dafydd Evans opened his
account for the afternoon with a cleanly struck penalty. In less than 10
mins Port stretched their lead to three goals when when Farr and Owen
exchanged a series of passes to create an opening for Carl Owen who drove
low past Phil Owen for his 5th league goal of the season.
    The visitors were not prepared to lie down, and on either side of
half-time they enjoyed their best period of the game and the scrooge-like
home defence was severely tested with the back-four having to be at their
best to keep the visitors out. The meagre number of shots on the home goal
was an indication that this was successfully achieved. The closest the
visitors came in the opening half was in the 44th min when Richards headed
past the post following a long cross by Ben Dews from the right.
    Llandudno continued on the attack at the beginning of the second period
with the home side finding it difficult to break out of midfield. This
pressure paid off and Ritchie Owen was adjudged to have brought down Kincaid
in the box and Rene Pinard took advantage with an accurate spot-kick.During
this good  period for the visitors home keeper Ken Jones was called upon to
make a good  save at his near post as Richards was again the threat cutting
in from the right.
    The home side however recovered from this shaky period and after 68 mins
sub Gareth Caughter made a good run on the left before sending across a
pin-point low cross for Dafydd Evans, who had made good ground on the right,
to tap in at the far post.
This was a signal for Port to resume their dominance and in the 78th min
Ritchie Owen burst forward from midfield and, keeping his composure, rounded
Phil Owen, who had rushed out of his goal, before placing the ball in the
corner of the net. By the time Steve Pugh was bundled over in the box by
Dews -in the 82nd min- with referee G.W. Jones pointing to the spot for the
third time during the afternoon, the visitors were well beaten. From the
spot Dafydd Evans coolly converted and became the unlikely hat-trick hero in
this first versus fourth challenge.This brings his tally to 7 goals for the
season and is Port's joint top scorer in the league this season.
    Memories of Mr Jones' controversial decision to abandon a cup-tie which
involved today's vistors must have come flooding back as last week's 9-2
triumph seemed light years away and this faced by a Porthmadog side who gave
what was, arguably, their best performance of the season.This was another
fine all-round team performance by the whole squad of 14 players.Llandudno
on the other hand will ironically play worse than this and win -on another
    With Ruthin and Llangefni also gaining victories the position at the top
of the table remains unchanged.

Port: Ken Jones, John G. Jones(Campbell Harrison), Danny Hughes, Lee Webber,
Mike Foster, Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry, Tony Williams(Steve Pugh), Dave
Farr(Gareth Caughter)

Llandudno: Phil Owen,Ben Dews, Mally Tidswell, James Kincaid, Bleddyn Jones,
James Cornish, Darren Jones, Ben Hughes, Dean Hughes, Rene Pinard, Simon
Subs: Steve Roberts, Carl Nicholls, Ashley Smith.

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
MOLD ALEX...............0    PORTHMADOG...............3       
                             Tony Williams
                             Lee Webber
                             Carl Owen

Port got off to a flying start in this their first visit to Parc Alyn
since both clubs were in the League of Wales. In the very first attack of
the game Mike Foster's lofted cross from the left was punched out by home
keeper Selvester when he in fact had enough time to gather the ball. The
ill-advised punch landed kindly at the feet of Tony Williams, on the edge of
the Mold area, and the forward coolly lobbed the ball over the defence and
into the net. Mold knew that an already difficult task would now be a much
steeper mountain to climb.
    The home side could, however, have struck back almost immediately when
Jonathan Cross' excellent free-kick from 20 yds needed a hurried touch over
the bar by Gerard McGuigan. For the remainder of the opening half the
visitors' keeper was a spectator as Port, spurred on by their early success,
piled on the pressure with front men Carl Owen and Dave Farr giving the home
defence a torrid time. A Lee Webber header was cleared off the line and soon
after Carl Owen burst clear with only the keeper to beat but Selvester
pulled off a good save. The overstretched home defence conceded numerous
free-kicks as they struggled to keep the visitors out and inevitably Barry
Thomas received a yellow card for a badly mistimed tackle on Gareth Parry.
    On the half-hour mark Mike Foster combined well with the ever dangerous
Carl Owen, who was put through on the right and an excellent cross by the
Port front man was met by a powerful Lee Webber header which gave Selvester,
in goal, no chance. This was Webber's 5th goal of the season -an excellent
return for a central defender. The two goal lead soon became three for after
34 mins Carl Owen received just inside the home half and ran 20 yds before
rounding the keeper and netting, despite the desperate efforts of two home
    The pressure continued and it took two excellent reflex saves in quick
succession, by Selvester, to keep out a glancing Carl Owen header at the
near post and then a Webber drive at the far post. Mold were relieved to
reach half-time without any further addition to the score.
    Port appeared to ease down after the interval and for a time the home
side came more into the game and indeed just after the hour mark ex-Port
striker Tony Merola almost poached a goal but his shot flew over the bar
after he had got himself  into a scoring position. The tempo of the game now
slowed down though Port, for the greater part of the second period, were
very much in control.
Ritchie Owen came close when he latched on to a Dafydd Evans cross but his
shot was deflected on to the post before being scrambled clear. Lee Webber
was again close with a header from another Mike Foster corner and Gareth
Caughter headed past the post following good work by Carl Owen on the left.
The introduction of Steve Pugh brought added pace on the right but in the
end the visitors had to be satisfied with the three goal advantage which
they earned in the opening half.
    This was another excellent all-round team performance with Ritchie Owen
and Gareth Parry having excellent games in midfield and the back four have
earned themselves the 8th league clean sheet of the season. The fact that
closest rivals Llangefni and Ruthin had matches postponed means that another
of the games in hand has been completed and now their position at the top of
the table has been consolidated.

Mold Alex: D. Selvester,Dewi Parry, Gary Emberton,  Paul Allen, Barry
Thomas, Andy Carroll, John Lutz, Wes Brereton, Jonathan Cross, Tony Merola,
Lee Ferguson.
Subs: Danny Seamarks, D. Jones, Andy Williams.

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G Jones, Danny Hughes(Campbell Harrison), Lee
Webber, Mike Foster, Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry, Ritchie Owen, Tony
Williams(Steve Pugh), Dave Farr(Gareth Caughter), Carl Owen.

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
PORTHMADOG...............5    HOLYHEAD...............1
Davey Farr 10, 31, 40, 83.       Adrian Owen (pen) 57.
Tony Williams 21.

Porthmadog haven't had it all their way in past meetings against
Holyhead,who last season completed the double, but this was not the case at
all today. Port, who have struggled to make an impact in the first half of
games this season, had the three points in the bag by the interval as Davey
Farr had a field day.

McGuigan, on the other hand, had a very quiet day, hardly being called into
action as Port piled on the pressure and seemed able to break through the
Holyhead back-line at a will. Carl Owen may not have put his name on the
score sheet, but had an excellent game as the creator, and was one of Port's
best performers. It took only ten minutes for Port to make the break through
as Darren Garmey failed to clear the ball, and left Dave Farr clear in the
box with only Mike Innes in the Holyhead goal to beat, for an easy first
goal. Carl Owen put further pressure on Holyhead, and it seemed only a
matter of time before Port would extend their lead. On 20 minutes Tony
Williams was pulled down in the box as he prepared to shoot, but S. L. Evans
waved the play on. A minute later, however, Farr was involved again as he
became the provider as his excellent one-two with Tony Williams, lead to a
goal for Williams.

Port had further chances to add to their lead through Dafydd Evans and Carl
Owen, but it was Dave Farr that managed to add to the tally on 31 minutes,
as he took advantage of some slack defending to net, after a neat move that
also included Owen and Evans. It was a further defensive error that lead to
the fourth goal, when ex-Port defender, Simon Flower, failed to head clear,
leaving Farr with only the goalie to beat, and he made the most of the
opportunity to make it 4-0 on 40 minutes.

After the first half performance, the second was always going to be a bit of
an anti-climax, as Port could afford to relax a little. On 57 minutes
Holyhead had one of their few forays into the Port penalty area, and were
awarded with a somewhat questionable penalty. Ex-Port attacker, Adrian Owen,
was pulled down in the box, and it was he who comfortably netted, leaving
McGuigan with no chance. Port continued to create the best chances with Carl
Owen once again very influential. Subs Steve Pugh and Gareth Caughter were
also dangerous on the attack, after they were both introduced just after the
interval. Danny Hughes, at the back and Richard Owen, in midfield, also put
in very good performances, and played an important part in protecting keeper
Gerard McGuigan who was only called to action twice in the 90 minutes.

Despite dominating the second half to the same extent as the first, the
scoring was not as free. Carl Owen, Dave Farr, Steve Pugh, Richard Owen and
Gareth Caughter all came close on different occasions, but failed to find
the net. It wasn't until 7 minutes from time that Port extended their lead,
but it was worth waiting for - an excellent move and an excellent goal for
who else but Davey Farr. Carl Owen was once again the provider, who after
chasing a Dafydd Evans pass down the right supplied an inch-perfect cross
from the right for Farr, who turned well and volleyed the ball into the
bottom corner. This was the icing on the cake of an excellent performance by
Port, that lifts the unbeaten outfit  to top spot with ten wins in 11

Port: G McGuigan, J G Jones (C Harrison), M Foster, G Parry (G Caughter), L
Webber, D Hughes, D Evans, T Williams (S Pugh), D Farr, C. Owen, R. Owen.

Holyhead: M Innes, D Garmey, Gerallt Jones, S Flower, J Parry, C Hagan, A
Platt, Gwyn Jones, A Owen, C Taylor, C Jones.
Subs: K Cameron, M Bahana, M Davies.

Iwan Gareth.

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League  -Saturday, November 16th

Rhuthun Town ..................... 0        Porthmadog .....................2
                                            Steve Pugh 75
                                            Gareth Caughter 90

    This was a game which certainly lived up to its billing as the Cymru
Alliance Match of the Day. Few, if any, of the good crowd present can claim
to have seen a better Cymru Alliance match. It was a game also between the
free-scoring Ruthin attack and the miserly Port defence. Port manager, Viv
Williams,was well aware of the task that faced his unbeaten team as they met
their bogey side, and was well aware of the fact that they had only managed
one victory in nine attempts against the Parc-y-Dre team.
    The visitors got away to a good start enjoying the best of the
possession and looking the more threatening side. After 8 mins Carl Owen
broke free on the right and crossed well but Farr was unable to get in a
clean header and failed to trouble Harris in the home goal. A minute later
and Owen again threatened cutting inside Llion Roberts but once again home
keeper Gary Harris was equal to the task. Port enjoyed the early pressure
but had no goals to show for it. After weathering hte early storm Ruthin
forced their first corner after 18 mins and began to enjoy a greater share
of the possession but did not manage many worthwhile attempts on goal. The
home side's best effort on goal came after 29 mins when Owain Roberts almost
capitalised on a defensive muddle and shot on the turn from the edge of the
box narrowly past the post.
    This narrow miss was the signal for further Port pressure and a fine
move involving Mike Foster and Tony Williams put the ever dangerous Carl
Owen through on goal and it needed a fine diving save from Harris to turn a
powerful shot round the post. At the resulting corner Ruthin were saved by a
Mike Entwistle goal-line clearance from a low Lee Webber header at the far
post.Towards the end of the  opening half the incidents continued at the
Ruthin end and mainly involved Carl Owen. First he had a penalty appeal
turned down and not long after brought another good save from Harris.
    The second-half saw a determined start from the home side as they
mounted a series of dangerous aerial attacks which seriously tested the Port
defence. They came close from a powerful 57th min Chris Williams header
which had to be cleared over the bar by the alert Dafydd Evans.The aerial
bombardment continued and Mark Entwistle came close after 68 mins.
    On 75 mins came the moment which changed the game as Carl Owen outwitted
two defenders and steered the ball goalwards. As it trickled towards the
line in rushed sub Steve Pugh to put the visitors ahead. Ruthin were not,
howevr, ready to bow out and Neil Davies should have done better with a
heading opportunity from a Huw Price cross.Then with three mins left Llion
Roberts headed a right-wing corner well over.
    In the final minute,with their defence stretched, the home-side were
caught out when man of the match Carl Owen flicked a Gareth Parry pass into
the path of Gareth Caughter who closed in on goal and coolly sealed Ruthin's
fate with a well placed shot.
    Port could scarcely disguise their delight at the end as they now draw
level with Ruthin at the top whilst still having three games in hand.

Ruthin: Gary Harris, Huw Price, Adrian Hayles, Llion Roberts, Will Kirby,
Chris Williams, Mark Entwistle, Owain Robrts, Calvin Davies, Neil Davies,
Richard Cooke.    Subs: Craig Wilkinson, Simon Jones, Andrew Roberts

Port: G. McGuigan, John G. Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike Foster,
Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry, Ritchie Owen,(Campbell Harrison) Tony
Williams( Gareth Caughter), Dave Farr( Steve Pugh), Carl Owen.

Gareth Williams.

GUILSFIELD..........0 PORTHMADOG..........3
                                    Tony Williams '17.
                                    Dave Farr '64.
                                    Carl Owen '69.

Port's unbeaten run continues as they notched another clean-sheet against a
Guilsfield side who weren't as poor as their league position might suggest.
Port's margin of victory could have been far greater though, as they
squandered numerous chances, especially during the first half.

Dave Farr and Carl Owen created problems for the hosts right from the off,
but they seemed to lack that killer-instinct in the final third of the
pitch. Port did find the back of the net after 11 minutes through Dave Farr
after a Carl Owen flick-on, but the referee's assistant had raised his flag
to signal off-side. This was followed by a scramble in front of Gareth
Ashley's goal, but somehow the ball didn't cross the line.

Guilsfield started to increase in confidence, thanks to Port's failure to
capitalize on their chances, and were twice denied by finger-tip saves from
Gerard McGuigan. Jamie Loxam and Mike Davies could both have given the
host's a lead against the run of play around the 15 minute mark. The
inevitable Port opener come on 17 minutes, as Tony Williams netted Port's
first opening-half league goal this season. Williams, coolly finishing,
after being put through on goal by Dave Farr. There were further first half
chances for Carl Owen and Tony Williams, with Jonathan Gamble and Haydn
Langford coming close for Guilsfield.

The second half started in much the same way as the first, with Port
creating all the chances, but finding it hard to find the net. Carl Owen saw
his attempt on 47 minutes coming off the bar. This was followed by chances
for both Gareth Parry and David Farr. Guilsfield's persistence with the
off-side trap seemed to put them under pressure, and created a headache for
the linesman, who wasn't always accurate with his off-side calls. A very
marginal off-side decision was given against Steven Pugh, who had come on to
replace Gareth Parry, after he had burst clear. Minutes later, an equally
marginal decision went in Port's favour, leaving Tony Williams and Dave Farr
with only the keeper to beat. Williams slipped the ball through to Farr, who
didn't have too much trouble in hitting home into an empty net    -just
after the hour mark. This was a good period for Port, and it took only 5
minutes for Port to add to their lead. A Mike Foster through ball put Carl
Owen through, but left the striker with plenty to do. But, Owen showed his
class, as he comfortably beat his marker, before placing the ball in the far
corner of the net.

With Port's victory all but sealed, they took their foot off the gas a
touch. This lead to a few openings for the home side, and it took a superb
save from Gerard McGuigan to stop Matthew Jones' strike on 89 minutes, and
deep into injury time Jamie Bocking's header went well over the bar. So, a
comfortable victory for Port in the end, but the margin of victory could,
and maybe should have been greater for the visitors. Their failings in front
of goal, might prove to be a greater handicap, as they endeavour against
higher placed opposition in the coming weeks.

Port: G McGuigan, M Foster, L Webber, D Hughes, J G Jones (C Harrison), T
Williams, D Evans, R Owen (S Pugh), G Parry, C Owen (G Caughter), D Farr.

Guilsfield: G Ashley, M Davies, J Gamble, A Watkins, L Williams, M Williams,
J Loxam, J Bocking, H Langford, D Foster, S Lewis.
Subs: J Bishop, E Turner, M Jones.

Iwan Gareth.

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
PORTHMADOG..........2 BUCKLEY..........0
Caughter, 50.
Owen, 62.

Port faced a difficult challenge, as they tried to return to winning ways
following the shock Welsh Cup defeat at Glantraeth. Buckley would definitely
give the hosts' a run for their money, with their very physical game. It was
therefore little surprise that the game got off to a closely contested first
half, with neither side really creating clear-cut chances for their

It was Buckley, however, that came closest to opening the afternoon's
scoring, as Port nearly shot themselves in the foot twice after defensive
misunderstandings. This could be the result of the inclusion in goal of
recent signing, Gerard McGuigan, with the Port defenders taking time to get
used to the new man between the posts. On 24 minutes, an attempted clearance
by Danny Hughes ricocheted off the back of Darren Williams on the side of
the Port box, and McGuigan had to be on his toes to save on the line. A
further misunderstanding on 36 minutes, lead to the  second best scoring
opportunity of the half, when a poor back-pass by Mike Foster, nearly caught
McGuigan on the wrong foot, and almost gave Buckley an opening  goal.

Port had a couple of chances though. Lee Webber came close with a header,
from a Mike Foster free kick, and Dave Farr scuffed his chance, after
receiving the through ball. There was further goal-mouth action at the other
end, as Tim Nunnerley put the ball just wide from a Darren Williams cross.
However Port claimed that the ball had gone out for a throw before Williams
received the ball. So, the teams went in at half time on level terms, and
few could argue with that outcome after a close fought, first half. Port's
record of not scoring a first half league goal, safe for another week.

Gareth Caughter was introduced into the Port team at the interval, and the
decision paid off, five minutes into the second half, as he dived in bravely
to head home Port's opener. This followed a period of goal-mouth pressure by
Port, with Caughter capitalizing on Buckley's failure to clear their lines.
Five minutes later, it should have been two, when a through ball set Carl
Owen on his way, only for his strike to go straight to Paul Turner in the
Buckley goal.

Carl Owen, however, didn't take long to make amends for his earlier miss, as
he extended Port's lead on 62 minutes. He did well to hold off the challenge
of John Bryce, before turning his man, and placing the ball in the bottom
corner of the net. Brilliantly finishing a personal effort after picking up
the ball from a clever Dave Farr pass. Port continued in the driving seat
for most of the second period, with Buckley's chances confined to a better
spell around the 70th minute Mark. Nunnerley wasted a good chance, with his
shot from close range going well over the bar. A Nunnerley over-head kick
around this period also went well off the mark.

Port had a few other opportunities to further their lead before the final
whistle, with both Carl Owen and David Farr coming close to finding the
target. They might feel however that they didn't receive the necessary
protection from referee, Elwyn Jones of Bodffordd, who was far to lax in his
interpretation of the rules. All in all though, Port put a competent
performance together in the second half, with Carl Owen putting in a very
good showing, more than a match to the uncompromising challenges of Jeff
Hinchcliffe and John Bryce. A change of emphasis away from the long-ball
tactics of the first half, seemed to give the home side that extra edge in
the second half and in the end they ran out worthy winners.

Porthmadog: G McGuigan, J G Jones, M Foster, D Hughes, L Webber (G
Caughter), R Owen, D Evans, G Parry, T Williams (S Pugh), D Farr (C
Harrison), C Owen.

Buckley: P. Turner, J Harrison, G Hanson, P Morris, J Ouslem, J. Bryce, A
Neal, Jason Jones, D Williams, T Nunnerley, J Hinchcliffe.
Subs: M Lewis, R Harden, J Pepper.

Iwan Gareth.

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Welsh Cup Round 3

Glantraeth ................ 4        Porthmadog ................. 3
Dafydd Noel Wms 16,55.        Tony Williams 10, 60
Danny Glyn Roberts 44           Carl Owen 56
Mark Thomas 65

     Glantraeth gained a notable scalp in the 2nd. round of the Welsh Cup
and in so doing also brought Port's outstanding unbeaten run in all matches,
this season, to an abrupt end. The Cymru Alliance leaders had no one to
blame but themselves as a combination of  glaring misses up front and poor
defending cost them dearly.
    The visitors started well and made most of the early running and it was
no surprise when they went into a 10th min lead. Following a good four man
build up on the right it looked as though the move was breaking down but the
persistence of Tony Williams regained the initiative and from the edge of
the box he drove high past home keeper Pritchard. Four mins later and Port
should have been two up when Joyce was adjudged to have brought down Tony
Williams in the box. Up stepped reliable spot kicker Dafydd Evans and for
once tried to place the ball with a side footer instead of his usual
accurate blast. Paul Pritchard threw himself to his left and pulled off a
comfortable and vital save.
    This was an early turning point as only a minute later and Glantraeth,
who had not shown up at all as an attacking force, struck back to draw
level. Dafydd Noel Williams converted a Paul Dixon cross with a first-time
effort from 18yds. Before half-time the visitors edged in front with a goal
directly from Danny Glyn's 30 yd free-kick  which rolled under Richard
Harvey's body into the net. Earlier Port had missed a glorious opportunity
to put themselves ahead when Carl Owen appeared to stumble in the box with
the goal at his mercy and screwed his shot gently past the post.
    The visitors made their task even more difficult 10 mins into the
second-half when a poor defensive header fell into the path of the dangerous
Dafydd Noel who controlled well and ran on to beat Harvey with a low shot.
This seemed to snap Port in to action and they enjoyed the best period of
the match and after 55 mins sub Dave Farr's flicked  header put Carl Owen
through and the striker withstood a tackle from behind to steer the ball
past Pritchard from 10 yds to reduce the arrears. Just four mins later and
Port were level when, following a good build-up on the left, Carl Owen
became the goal maker when his neat cross was headed into the net by Tony
Williams for his second of the match.
    As it seemed that the visitors might take control, the home side struck
again and defender Mark Thomas rose unchallenged to head Chris Joyce's long
free-kick over Richard Harvey and restore the Glantraeth lead. The match was
now an end to end affair and while the Port defence was put under pressure
by the speedy Dafydd Noel and fellow front man Craig Brodie, at the other
the visitors  found time to create and miss some excellent chances. Even in
the the final moments of the game first Farr failed to take advantage of a
long ball which put him clean through and then Danny Hughes screwed a low
Farr cross well over from close range.
    It was Glantraeth's day and their determination and willingness to take
their chances gave the Welsh Alliance team a deserved passage into the third
round. Port on the other hand, as the old cliche goes, can now concentrate
on the league.

Glantraeth: Paul Pritchard, Mark Thomas, Chris Joyce, Andy O'Malley, Ryan
Davies, Aaron Bailey, Craig Brodie, Paul Dixon, Danny Glyn Roberts, Emrys
Jones, Dafydd Noel Williams.

Port: Richard Harvey, John G. Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster(capt), Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry( Iwan Roberts), Ritchie Owen ( Dave
Farr), Gareth Caughter, Carl Owen, Tony Williams.
Sub not used: Campbell Harrison.

Gareth Williams.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us