CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Holywell Town (a) | Rhydymwyn (h) | Welshpool (a) | Oswestry Town (h) | Cemaes Bay (h) |
| Colwyn Bay YMCA (h) | Pwllheli (h) | Rhuthun Town (a) | Rhydymwyn (a) |

Lluniau o'r Gem/ Pictures of the game.
Rhydymwyn 0  Porthmadog 0

Porthmadog returned to a ground where they suffered a heavy defeat last
season. A strong blustery wind blew from end to end and made accurate
passing and crossing very difficult. Rhydymwyn had the wind at their backs
in the opening half and had the better of the opening exchanges but  were
unable to create any clear chances. The Port defence looked very solid with
the returning Richard Hughes outstanding.Good performances also by Phil
Dixon, Harrison and the consistent Stuart Williams.

Port's first promising attack came after 15 mins with Evans and Barry
combining on the right and finding Mike Davies but his cross was blocked.
Soon after Banks's excellent through ball found Emyr Jones on the edge of
the area. He beat his marker but shot tamely. As the half wore on Port came
more and more into the game especially attacking on the break. But
Rhydymwyn continued to threaten and after 28 mins Dixon saved well from
Jamie Renshaw's low drive. Port came closest from Banks's free kick which
was headed down by Davies and Owen forced the ball just wide.

With the wind at their backs Port started the second half strongly but it
was Rhydymwyn who came closest to scoring when a drive by Sharples was
deflected for a corner.Probably the best chance of the game fell to
Rhydymwyn's Montgomery who shot over the bar when well placed.
As both sides tried to raise the tempo and score the all important winner
Owen, for Port made a good break down the right, but his shot was easily
saved . The visitors again came close when Davies headed over Evans'
excellent free-kick. In the end draw was a fair result with strong defences
and a blustery wind ruling the roost.

Port: K Dixon, P Dixon, C Harrison, R Hughes, S. Williams, N Barry, D Evans,
C Banks, A Owen, M Davies, E Jones ( G Caughter) Subs L. Webber, V.

Rhydymwyn: A Renshaw, Sharples, Wynne, McElroy, Griffiths, Lewis, Allen,
Laughton, Montgomery, Whittaker, J Renshaw. Subs Jeffries, Scott, Wheeler.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem/ Pictures of the game.
Lluniau o'r Gem/ Pictures of the game.
Rhuthun Town 2  Porthmadog 0

The best thing about this game was the excellent view of the town with its
church spire and the mountains behind. It was a tedious game devoid of any
pattern and very little in the way of creative football. A heavy pitch did
not help matters but was not the main culprit.

Both sides boasted a player who a week ago, against lower league opposition,
had found the net four times- Neil Davies for Ruthin and Adrian Owen for
Porthmadog. That Neil Davies was on target twice again is just about a fair
reflection of the difference between the two sides.

Ruthin had the better of the early exchanges without posing too much of a
threat, but it took Port 15 mins to make their first entry into the
opposition penalty area and then an Evans cross was easily collected by Pope
the Ruthin keeper.The first real threat on goal came, in the 16th min, when
Roberts drove in a powerful shot from the edge of the area which Dixon, in
the Port goal, just touched over the bar.Two mins later Adrian Owen came
close with a free kick which struck the bar and went behind.

Nothing of note happened until the 38 min when Neil Davies latched on to a
through ball sent down the middle and outwitted the Port defence before
driving home giving the home team a 1-0 lead. A lead which they still
enjoyed at the interval.

Unlike last week the half-time team talk did little to stir the Port team
out of their lethargy.After 54 mins Ruthin went close when a good right wing
move, involving Neil Davies, saw Roberts free but his shot was sliced
wide.Then after 70 mins Ruthin increased their lead when the best move of
the game along the right  caught out the Port defence. The cross found Neil
Davies unmarked  and he scored his second goal with a well placed shot.

The last quarter of the game saw Port have most of the possession and the
territorial advantage -and after 80 mins they forced their first corner of
the game! Despite this no clear chances were created and Ruthin will be
pleased with  3 pts to ease their relegation worries.

Some hard decisions now face, Port manager, Colin Hawkins as the season has
not got off the ground at all. Major surgery may now be called for as it
appears that the remainder of the season, and the floodlight league games,
can be used laying the foundations for next season.

Port: K Dixon, C Harrison, S Flower, L Webber ( A. Jones), S Williams P
Dixon, C Banks, (G. Caughter) D Evans, N. Barry, E Jones (M. Davies), A

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem/ Pictures of the game.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the game.
North Wales Challenge Cup 3rd Round.

Porthmadog 6 Pwllheli 1

Port were on cup duty once more today, their last league match having been
played  on
Nov 27th ! The game started quietly enough with the visitors enjoying the
benefit of a stiff breeze. Pwllheli were the first to threaten after 4 mins
with a header just wide of the post and again after 9 mins when it needed a
good save by Ken Dixon rushing out to the edge of this area.Port did not
threaten until the 25 min when a neat flick by Mike Davies put Adrian Owen
away but his powerful shot was well saved by keeper Parry.
This was the signal for a period of sustained pressure by Pwllheli, playing
some neat football.They forced four corners in quick succession and only
desperate defence kept them out.Then with half-time approaching Pwllheli
took a deserved lead when a cross from the left was met by defender Roberts
and he slid the ball past Dixon.
1-0 at half-time and the Gwynedd League side must have felt that another
shock was on the way.

Port came out in the second-half determined to improve on their woeful
performance and almost immediately the scores were level. Adrian Owen took
advantage of a defensive error to equalize.Ten mins later and the home team
were ahead when a long ball from Viv Williams over the Pwllheli defence was
latched on to by Owen, who raced on and lobbed over the advancing keeper. A
minute later and Owen had completed his hat-trick with a fierce drive from
25 yds.

Emyr Jones replaced Mike Davies for the home team and gave the attack an
injection of pace. Soon he combined well with Adrian Owen who completed his
second-half torment of the Pwllheli defence with his fourth goal of the
afternoon with a shot from the narrowest of angles.This brings his tally for
the season to14.
After 70 mins Phil Dixon added the 5th goal and sub Allan Jones the 6th in
the 82 min. to complete the second-half transformation.

Port: K.Dixon, Cambell Harrison  Simon Flower, Lee Webber, P.Dixon,
V.Williams,(G.Caughter) N.Barry, C.Banks, S.Williams,M.Davies, (E.Jones)
A.Owen (A. Jones)

Gareth Williams.

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the game.

Porthmadog, winners of North Wales Coast Challenge Cup two years ago but
slated by their manager because of recent poor displays, provided the
perfect response with a 5-2 spectacular. Taking on Colwyn Bay YMCA, the
runaway leaders of the Tyn Lon Rover Welsh Alliance, Porthmadog slammed 3
goals inside half an hour thanks to Adrian Owen (2) and Mike Davies,
Colwyn closed up through Mark Hewitt and Jason Jones but the home team
confirmed their reaction to Colin Hawkins' blast with conclusive late goals
by Nigel Barry and Adrian Owen again.

PORTHMADOG..........0 CEMAES BAY..........2

This was a chance for Port to avenge Cemaes Bay for the heavy defeat which
they suffered against the Anglesey club earlier on in the season. Early on,
it seemed that this would be the case, as the home team kept possession and
put pressure on the Cemaes defence. But despite their superior pressure
throughout the first half, Port failed to create enough chances, and lacked
that killer instinct in front of goal. They came close through Stuart
Williams on 16 minutes, and Viv Williams was tackled well by Oswyn Jones
after being put through by Nigel Barry four minutes later. Cemaes had to
rely on counter-attacks during this period and Danny Sheperd was
influential. His run into Port's half nearly creating a chance for his
manager, ex-Porthmadog favourite Paul Whelan, but his shot went straight
into the hands of Kenny Dixon. Dixon was also called into action after a
good effort by the visitor's Kevin Roberts.
    Oliver Hall came close twice for Port after good work by Stuart
Williams, but his shot's lacked power, and were easily stopped by David
Stufheild in the Bay goal. The same was the case for Adrian Owen as he
attempted a long range shot on the stroke of half time. So, the teams went
in at half time on level terms following a first half which had been
controlled by Port. They would pay heavily for their failure to turn
possession into chances, and chances into goals, with the passing play of
the first half giving way to a 'kick and rush' approach in the second half.
The result of this change in tactics was disastrous.
    Cemaes Bay were poor in the second half, but were no-where as bad as
Porthmadog, who had little pattern in their play, especially after the Bay
had taken the lead. The scorer was Mark Owens, who took his chance well,
turning in the box before placing the ball in the back of the net after
seven minutes of the second half. Port's players started to look
disinterested after this point, and there was a lack of effort in their
play. Their lack of pace up-front also showed, and was worsened after Adrian
Owen, one of the few players in the team with real pace, was substituted.
But by then the game was already lost, as ex-Port player Colin Saynor headed
home after finding himself un-marked following a corner by Steve Humphreys.
Port had hardly any chances in the second half, and persisted with the
long-ball despite it's obvious ineffectiveness as the balls continued to
pass over the heads of the Port strikeforce. So a very disappointing
performance that lacked direction in the second half for Port, and they were
punished  for their inability to convert their chances in the first half.

K. Dixon, P. Dixon, L. Webber, C. Harrison, S. Williams, N. Barry, A. Owen,
D. Evans, O. Hall, M. Davies, V. Williams.

Subs: C. Banks, G. Caughter, J. Saddler.

D. Stufheilder, T. Owen, C. Saynor, O. Jones, C. Roberts, D. Shepard, S.
Humphreys, P. Whelan, M. Owens, K. Roberts, I. Backhouse.

Subs: L. Backhouse, D. Jones.

Iwan Gareth.

Porthmadog 2  Oswestry 2

A hard fought match with the result in doubt to the end and probably the
best game seen at the Traeth this season. Oswestry enjoyed much of the
territorial advantage and the possession but Port carved out the best
chances with many fine sweeping counter-attacking moves.
The game started quietly enough with 11mins passing before Port's Mike
Davies put in the first shot on goal  and a minute later Oswestry forced the
first corner. Then suddenly the game sprung to life, after 15mins, when
Nigel Barry split the Oswestry defence with a marvellous through ball, for
Adrian Owen to time his run perfectly and shoot in from a narrow angle.
   But the visitors were soon back in the match and there followed a period
of sustained pressure. First Jason Evans shot over and this was the signal
for a succession of corners for Oswestry which put the Port defence under
severe strain. There were several scrambles in the penalty area, and several
good saves by Dixon kept the home goal intact -one in particular to deny
Justin Bridges.But Port survived at the cost of yellow cards for Phil Dixon
and Harrison.
    Then on 40 mins Port could have doubled their lead when Barry, who had
an outstanding first half in the centre of midfield, once again split the
Oswestry defence only to see his partner in crime the speedy Adrian Owen
brought down by the visitors keeper Blower. Blower became referee K W Owen's
fourth yellow card victim quickly followed by Jason Evans for another foul
on Adrian Owen. Half-time came with both sides level on the yellow card
count but with Port one goal to the good!
    The second-half followed much the same pattern as the first with both
sides enjoying their periods of good play followed by periods of soaking up
intense pressure. The better chances were again created by the home side
with Viv Willians and Adrian Owen outstanding. These two produced excellent
runs and took up good positions with their intelligent running off the ball.
They were well supplied also by the overlapping runs of Stuart Williams from
    But no goals came and Oswestry were still in the game -then they struck
back with well constructed attacks and after 71mins Neil Price brought the
scores level when he headed in a far post cross.There were chances at both
ends a free header over Dixon's bar at the home end followed by further good
work by Viv Williams to create an opening for Adrian Owen. Then came Port's
second goal after 82mins. A long cross field ball from Harrison well taken
by Adrian Owen who cut in and shot at goal beating the keeper and Viv
Williams ran in to make the goal a certainty.
    Then all that was needed was for Port to keep things tight at the
back -a task which has proved beyond them on so many occasions this season.
This proved to be no exception, and after an almighty scramble, the Port
defence creaked and Matthew Burton forced the ball home from close range
after 88mins. In many respects a draw was a fair result over the 90mins but
Port, after twice being in the lead, will consider this result as a case of
two points lost. Before the end Port's Mike Davies received Mr. Owen's 5th
yellow card of the afternoon. More expensive fines for both sides.

Ken Dixon, Richard Hughes, Phil Dixon, Campbell Harrison, Lee
Webber, Stuart Williams Dafydd Evans Nigel Barry, Adrian Owen (Gareth
Caughter), Mike Davies, Viv Williams(Jason Sadler) Sub not used: Chris

Oswestry Town:
Blower, Evans, Burton, O'Shaughnessy, Lee Jones, Hinchcliffe,
Bridges Edwards, Goodwin, Rogers, Price, Subs: Burgess, Ricky Jones, Dave

Gareth Williams.

Welshpool..........3 Porthmadog..........2.

After last week's League Cup it was back to league duty this week and a game
between the 4th and 6th placed teams in the Cymru Alliance. Port included
new signing Jason Sadler from Caernarfon and also long term injury victim
Richard Hughes.It was good to see such a good attendance in spite of a
certain game on TV.

Welshpool started the better of the two teams combining well and after only
8 mins a cross field pass by Bishop opened up the Port defence and Ben
Kinsey struck the bar before the ball bounced to safety. After this Port
came more into the game gaining the territorial advantage with Hughes,
Evans, Saddler and Williams prominent.In the main,however the passing lacked
fluency with too many aimless long balls from the back surrendering

Then after 25mins the Port defence fell victims to a quick counter attack
with  Neil Pryce finding the ever dangerous Ben Kinsey with a diagonal ball
and this time the Welshpool striker made no mistake with a shot inside
Dixon's right hand post. Port were now struggling to get back into the game
and came close after half an hour from a 25yd shot by Dafydd Evans.

Then 3 mins later Edwards was adjudged to have handled in the Welshpool box
and Dafydd Evans coolly drove home the resulting penalty, to bring the
scores level. Just before half-time Welshpool began to apply more pressure
and it took a well timed tackle by Richard Hughes to prevent Kinsey adding
to his goal tally and almost immediately Chris Roberts came close with a 20
yd shot.Then a minute before half-time Welshpool restored the lead when the
Port defence failed to close down Pryce and from way out on the left he was
able to lob the ball over Dixon in the Port goal. Welshpool just about
deserving their half -time lead at 2-1.

Porthmadog started the second-half in far more determined fashion and  only
4 mins after the re-start Richard Hughes released Viv Williams on the edge
of the area, where the striker slipped his marker and coolly placed the ball
left-footed into the corner of the net.For the next 15-20mins Port continued
to have the better of the match, but failed to add to their tally. Welshpool
still threatened on the break and it took a fine one-handed save by Dixon to
deny them the lead.

After 70 mins Port were once more caught by a quick break when sub Ian Evans
latched on to a well timed through ball and raced on unchallenged to score
Welshpool's third. Port continued to apply pressure and subbed Hall bringing
on Caughter. It was sad to see Olly Hall, who had so transformed the game at
Holywell with 2 late goals in an outstanding performance as striker,
languishing in an unsuited wing roll.

On 90 mins sub Mike Davies came close with a good downward header but it was
not to be for Port, and Welshpool completed the double over their rivals
from the Traeth. A well fought match with Welshpool just about deserving to
take the 3pts -but Port will rue the defensive lapses.

PORTHMADOG: Ken Dixon, Phil Dixon, Campbell Harrison, Lee Webber, Stuart
Williams, Richard Hughes, Nigel Barry, Dafydd Evans, Olly Hall( Caughter),
Viv Williams, Jason Saddler ( Mike Davies).

Gareth Williams.

PORTHMADOG..........3 RHYDYMWYN...........2

Port went into this game as defending champions, playing against the team
that they beat at the end of last season in the final at Brymbo. The home
team were without Mike Davies, who sustained a nasty injury away at Corwen,
as well as Nigel Barry who picked up a back injury against runcorn during a
mid-week friendly against Runcorn.
    The game got off to a very poor start and that remained the pattern for
the entire first half. Rhydymwyn were the team who had the best of the early
play, without making to much of their possesion. However, Emyr Jones did
play quite well up-front, never letting the ball run as a lost cause. His
determination nearely lead to a chance for Port on ten minutes after the
ball got loose for Adrian Owen following Jones' challenge. The ball was
cleared off the line by a deffender, leading to a corner. The corner was
taken by Oliver Hall, and Emyr Jones was very unlucky not to have converted
with his header that beat the goalie but came off the bar.
    The game continued in the same vane for the remaionder of the game, with
neither side managing to take full control of proceedings. There were
further chances for Port, with Emyr Jones being denied by Richard Sim who
went in bravely at his feet. Port's other notable chance came to Lee Webber
whose free kick from the side of the box, following a dangerous challenge on
Adrian Owen by Steve McClroy, went just over the bar. So a fair score-line
of nill-nill at the end of a very dissapointing first half that never realy
got off the ground.
    The game came alive to an extent during the second half after Port took
the lead on 49 minutes through a very lucky goal by Olly Hall. His atempted
cross was far too close to the goalie, so close in fact, that it went
through Richard Sim's leggs into the back of the net. A terrible mistake
from the goalie, a terribly lucky goal for Hall. Port continued to maintain
their possesion for the following period of time, creating a few scoring
chances when Steve McClroy managed to get to the ball before Adrian Owen
after a cross by Gareth Caughter. There was a further chance for Owen whose
finishing was dissapointing after beating three Rhydymwyn defenders.
    But on 70 minutes the visitors were back on level terms with Simon Jones
scoring with a brilliant free kick that was given under dubious
circumstances. However, his shot into the top left of the net left Kenny
Dixon with no chance to make a save. This was the start of a three minute
period that saw as meny goals with Port re-gaining their lead almost
emediately. Alan Jones who came on as sub was the scorer with his first goal
for the team while playing in his natural striking pssition. He did well to
get his head to the ball after a cross by Stewart Williams following a lay
off by Adrian Owen. But this lead was short-lived, as a minute later Richard
Hughes headed Rhydymwyn back onto level-terms. His header came following a
cross by Simon Jones, however the marking as well as the positioning of Ken
Dixon must be questioned. Rhydymwyn even had an opportunity to take the lead
on 70 minutes through Darren Horne but he couldn't reach Jamie Renshaw's
    The goal that made the need for a re-play at Rhydymwyn uneccessary came
in the last minute of normal time courtesy of a penalty brilliantly
converted by Dafydd Evans. But the events that surrounded this decision were
regretably. The ref pointed to the spot after being notified by his
assistant of Danny Seamans' handling of the ball. This seemed to be a good
decision by the ref's assistant as Seamans had clearely handled the ball in
the box. But the visitor's reaction was over the top and ended in two of
their players being sent off - Richard Sim was sent off for calling the
ref's assistant as a "cheat" (as well as swearing on myself) while John
Robberts was sent off for aggressive behaviour. Simon Jones should count
himself lucky not to be sent off for continuously arguing for the five
minutes of time that was added on due to Rhydymwyn preventing the spot-kick
being taken.
    So a win for a weakened Port as they try to retain their title, but
worries must be raised because of their failiure to maintain their lead
aswell as the fact that they failed to contain a Rhydymwyn side reduced to
nine men during the last five minutes. The plus points from the game were
the performances of Emyr Jones and Gareth Caughter aswell as the goal of
Alan Jones after beign given his chance to play upfront.

K. Dixon, P. Dixon, L. Webber, C. Harrison, S. Williams, G. Caughter, C.
Banks, D. Evans, A. Owen, O. Hall, E. Jones.

Subs: A. Jones, V. Williams, S. P. Williams

R. Sim, S. McClroy, J. Renshaw, S. Jones, D. Seamans, D. Horne, M. Lewis, J.
Roberts, P.Hughes, P. Whitaker, R. Hughes.

Subs: R. Jefferies, N. Wynne, B. Jefferies.


HOLYWELL TOWN..........0 PORTHMADOG..........3
For the second week running Port visited a club who had conceded in excess of 
30 goals during the season. But there was to be no repeat of the 7 goal romp at
Corwen and, in fact for most of the game, it seemed doubtful if we would see 
any goals at all. 

     Port were without injured Mike Davies and youngster Emyr Jones was brought in for his 
first Alliance start. Dafydd Evans was also out and Adrian Owen took his place in 
midfield. It was good to see Nigel Barry take up a central midfield roll where he was able 
to make a far more telling contribution. 

     Both teams needed to come to terms with the terrible weather conditions - a strong 
wind and torrential downpours. The early part of the game saw little of note and neither 
side gained control of the match. Port always appeared more threatening when they 
played the ball on the ground and built up patient passing movements. From one of
these Adrian Owen was put through after 16 mins but he tried a chip when one of his
power drives might have proved more successful in the conditions. 

     There followed a series of good Port moves involving Owen, Viv Williams, Stuart
Williams, Barry, Banks and Caughter which came close to opening the score. Then
instead of capitalising on this success they resorted to long ball, route one methods
which only played into their opponents hands and gave the ball away. 

      Then after 41mins Lee Taylor was through on the right for Holywell but Kenny Dixon
dived at his feet and was adjudged to have fouled the home team's forward and received
a yellow card. Just before half-time Stuart Williams, who had played on after receiving a
nasty eye injury, was replaced by Lee Webber for Port.Half time came with the score at

       The early part of the second half had little more to commend it than the first period.
Holywell came closest to scoring. A good break by Darren Edwards on the left followed
by an useful looking cross which Lee Taylor failed to capitalise upon -with the goal
gaping in front of him. With Port still resorting to the wasteful long ball game, Holywell
grew in confidence and realised that they could win the game. 

       Then came the moment which was to turn the game on its head. Emyr Jones, who had
lead the line well without much luck, was withdrawn and replaced by Oliver Hall who had
been out through injury since the start of the season. 

       Ollie, who spent most of last season banished to the wings, was now in his natural
habitat causing havoc in opposing defences. Within seconds of appearing he put Viv
Williams away on the right with a perfectly weighted pass. Williams' well struck shot
was pushed away by Colecliffe in the home side goal, only to see Hall steer the rebound
into the net. After 65 mins of huffing and puffing Port were ahead. 

       Adrian Owen now got in on the act playing a far more advanced roll which suits him
best.Hall and Owen, operating in tandem, were now a constant threat to the Wellmen's
defence. Then after 80mins Barry slipped a ball through the Holywell defence for Owen
to coolly chip the keeper. Then 3 mins later Port were 3 up when Adrian Owen's shot
was parried and then half cleared by the defence only for it to fall to Hall 15yds out. A
quick look up before hammering the ball into the roof of the net. With sub Steve
williams and experienced Viv Williams showing up well Port finished with a flourish. 

       If only they had shown faith in the passing game sooner they would have sewn this
game up well before the 83 min. A word of praise also for the referee K.W. Owen of
Waunfawr who kept a firm control of a game which saw some beefy tackles being
dished out. 

PORT: K.Dixon, P. Dixon, C. Harrison, S. Flower, S Williams (L. Webber) G. Caughter,
(S Williams) C Banks, N Barry, A Owen, E. Jones ( O Hall) 


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us