CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Airbus (a) | Caerfyrddin /Carmarthen (h) | Llanelli (a) | Trallwng / Welshpool (a) | Aberystwyth (h) |
| Aberystwyth (a) | Bangor (h) | Cei Conna / Connah's Quay (a) | Y Drenwydd / Newtown (h) |

Lluniau o'r gem / Photos of the match
Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier 	Saturday, January 29th

Porthmadog ... 0		Newtown ... 2
				Sam Bowen 40
				Danny Barton 66 (pen)

This was a poor Port performance and a continuation of their second half 
display at Connah's Quay while Newtown, heavily defeated last week, were 
quickly out of the blocks and determined to make amends. In fact Port were
very fortunate to be still in the game at half-time and that was only thanks
to keeper Ged McGguigan who was in outstanding form keeping out four gilt
edged opportunities with outstanding saves. It proved to be a Jekyll and
Hyde day for the keeper as he retaliated after being badly fouled by Bowen
bringing a straight red card and marching orders after 71' which meant that
any hope of a Port recovery was over with Mark Williams being substituted to
make way for Steve Jones to take over in goal.

Port's poor passing often put them under pressure and as early as the 5th
minute a misplaced cross field ball by the usually accurate Mike Foster gave
Futcher a good shooting opportunity but he was well off target. A ball
played into the box after 10' put Bowen through on goal but his finish was
weak and McGuigan saved easily. The home side were second to most balls and
failed to get any worthwhile possession. When Carl Owen did manage a break
on the right there was no Port presence in the box to take advantage of the
forward's cross. McGuigan was again in action after 26' this time foiling
Futcher who was clear on goal but the keeper was quickly off his line to
pull off an outstanding save smothering the ball at the forward's feet. Just
after the half-hour McGuigan excelled himself with two fine saves in quick
succession first a block on Bowen and then when Brown played the ball back
across the goal McGuigan was back in his goal to remarkably push a Barton
effort over the bar.

Port on the other hand did not test debutant keeper Taylor and the closest
they came was an Owain Roberts effort from 25 yards which dipped just over
the bar. McGuigan again tipped a cross cum shot by Brown over the bar but a
goal had to come and after 40' Port failed to clear in a goalmouth scramble
and the ball fell to Bowen who steered it past McGuigan from 8 yards to give
the visitors a deserved lead. 

Port came out in more determined mood in the second period and after neat
passing move Owain Roberts fired wide from 18 yards. In the second half
though the home team dominated territorially they rarely looked in control
rarely creating any worthwhile goal scoring opportunities throughout the
90'. Carl Owen the only Port player to worry the opposition broke on the
right and lashed in a shot which Taylor saved well at the near post. Newtown
then gave themselves a cushion after 66' when Barton scored from the spot.
The penalty decision just about summed up Port's day. It was a questionable
decision with the player not threatening goal and came only minutes after Mr
Whitby had turned down an appeal of equal merit, when Owain Roberts was
brought down in the box. Port's fate was more or less sealed when the
McGuigan-Barton fracas resulted in a yellow for Barton and a red for the
home keeper. 

Port tried to pick-up the pace but their passing lacked accuracy and the
final ball never penetrated the Newtown defence. Webber did have a shot
cleared off the line and somehow a low Caughter cross was scrambled clear
but it was a case of too little too late. The game ended with a Newtown
counter with sub Field striking the bar. Fans were left to wonder what has
happened to the outstanding football shown against Bangor. No time to be
despondent though on to Cefn and hopefully a return to top form -but who
will be in goal? 

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber, Foster: Tony Williams
(Aled Rowlands [Caughter]), Gareth Parry, Owain Roberts, Ritchie Owen: Mark
Williams (Steve Jones), Carl Owen.

Newtown: Taylor, Carl Harries, Giles, Gareth Hughes, Allen, Moody, Brown,
Desormeaux, Sam Bowen, Barton, Futcher.
Subs: Richard Harris, Oliver Williams. Danny Field.
Gareth Williams    

Lluniau o'r gem / Photos of the match
Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier -Saturday, January 22nd

Connah's Quay Nomads ... 3	Porthmadog ... 1
Andy Griffiths 39			Lee Webber 14		
Ryan Crawford 72, 90

This was not to be a repeat of last week's outstanding performance and
despite a good opening half-hour the run of 7 undefeated games was not
stretched to eight. With several players, in the second period especially,
turning in below par performances Port could have no complaints about the
final result. A third goal during injury time however gave a goal margin
which rather flattered the home side.

Port started well and, for the opening half-hour were well in control,
giving their band of supporters the real hope of another victory. Early half
chances fell to Mark Williams and Carl Owen but then Port after 13 minutes
threatened with a good move along the right with Gareth Caughter and Carl
Owen combining to set up John Gwynfor for a cross from the right which had
to be headed under pressure for a corner. Gareth Caughter's corner was met
by Lee Webber whose clever header diverted it into the net to give the
visitors a deserved lead. Port continued to dominate and Carl Owen came
close with a thundering volley from the edge of the box. On the half-hour
Port almost went further ahead when a fine glancing header by John Gwynfor
steered Mike Foster's free-kick against the inside of the post only to see
it scrambled clear.

It took the home side 27 minutes before they forced their first corner but
with Tommy Mutton looking dangerous they gradually got themselves back into
the game. Mutton gave Port a warning when he was allowed to break inside
from the left touchline and rattled the cross bar from 18 yds. The warning
wasn't heeded and after 39 minutes Port conceded a sloppy goal when they
spurned a chance to clear and allowed Heath to cross to the far post where
an Andy Griffiths lob went over McGuigan and dipped under the bar to level
the scores.

Port never regained their early dominance and during the second period the
Nomads looked the more likely to win the game. Though Port enjoyed a fair
share of the second-half possession they relied on too many high balls which
were comfortably dealt with by George Horan and his uncompromising defence.
A rare move early in the second period saw Mark Williams find Steve Jones
who crossed well for Carl Owen whose shot was deflected for a corner. Tommy
Mutton came more and more into the game for the Nomads and he put the
usually resolute Port defence to the test with his pacy runs. Just after the
hour it took an excellent McGuigan dive at the edge of the box to keep out
Mutton who was through the Port defence. A long cross from the right was
pushed on to the bar by McGuigan and a minute later the home side was ahead.
Ryan Crawford was at the far post for the simplest of tap-ins after McGuigan
at full stretch had kept out Mutton. 

Port worked hard to get back on level terms but this was a day when the ball
did not run for them. Tony Williams and Gareth Caughter set up an
opportunity for Owain Roberts in space on the right of the box but the
substitute sliced a good opportunity well wide. Then in injury time Crawford
scored a carbon copy of his previous effort when he picked up the pieces at
the far post after McGuigan had parried away a Mutton shot on the counter

A disappointing end to an excellent run, but Port remain seventh and will
meet Newtown at the Traeth next Saturday in an important mid-tale tussle. 

Nomads: Bryan, Tuft, Heath, Hutchinson, Horan, Jellicoe, Chris Williams,
Mutton,Ray Crawford, Griffiths, Gareth Owen.
Subs: Brookman, Mazzarella, Cook.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber, Foster: Steve Jones (Aled
Rowlands), Gareth Parry, Ritchie Owen (Owain Roberts), Gareth Caughter: Mark
Williams Tony Williams), Carl Owen. 
Sub not used Dafydd Evans 

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r gem / Photos of the match
Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier -Saturday, January 15th

Porthmadog ... 3	Bangor City ... 0
Ryan Davies 23
Mark Williams 58
Carl Owen 73

Port confirmed their season's dominance over Gwynedd neighbours Bangor with
a deserved victory on a Traeth surface that had made a miraculous recovery
after looking more suitable for water polo only seven days ago. Ironically
Ryan Davies and Mark Williams, who had scored on that sunny August day at
Farrar Road when the first leg of the double was completed, were again on
the score sheet today.
Bangor were first out of the blocks with Clayton Blackmore testing McGuigan
in the home goal with a dangerous low effort in the first minute. Port were
soon in the game with a dangerous Gareth Parry cross eluding everyone in the
box running to Mike Foster and Gareth Caughter who exchanged passes and
Caughter's dangerous cross was kept out by a defensive Baker header over his
own bar. Lee Webber was in the thick of the action at either end first a
blast just over the bar after a short corner and then a perfectly timed
tackle to keep out Paul Roberts at the other end. After 23 minutes Port went
ahead when Steve Jones crossed into the box from the right and Ryan Davies,
who had moved up from the back, took advantage of Carl Owen's near post
flick with a low shot from 10 yards. 

Bangor had opportunities to strike back first when Les Davies took advantage
of a misplaced pass by Ritchie Owen to break into the box but his shot went
well over the bar. Then after a throw on the left the ball was crossed to
Tony Gray who had room to break dangerously into the box but his low shot
was deflected for a corner. Ritchie Owen atoned for his earlier error with a
fine tackle to halt Les Davies just he was about to test McGuigan. Port then
struck back with Carl Owen heading Foster's cross over the bar.

The second period started with a bang. The home side had the chance to go
further ahead straight after the re-start when a move involving Caughter and
Carl Owen gave Steve Jones a shooting chance but the winger sliced his shot
wide of the upright. Almost immediately play swung to the other end and Ryan
Davies had to clear off his own line when McGuigan failed to gather an
awkward cross from Hoy. Paul Roberts on his return to the Traeth had found
the Ryan Davies and Webber partnership in their usually miserly mood but
after 55 minutes worked a good opening for Gray on the left of the box but
the striker's shot went disappointingly wide. This only spurred on the home
side and Carl Owen went close as he met Gareth Caughter's near post cross.
Port had the momentum now and in the 58th minute a long Caughter cross from
the left eluded Baker and ran to Mark Williams who brushed past the defender
and coolly drove a low shot past Richard Acton.

Bangor were still in the game but lacked the bite to break down a
determined, well organised Port defence. There were chances however Webber
had to head a Les Davies cross over his own bar and then a well placed Simon
Davies cross found Paul Roberts in the box but his shot was deflected for a
corner. Tony Gray had a chance following a Simon Davies corner on the right
but he shot tamely causing McGuigan no problems. The game was put out of
Bangor's reach in the 73 minute when a flick over his shoulder by Mark
Williams caught out the visitors defence. It still appeared that Richard
Acton would beat Carl Owen to the ball but the keeper made a hash of picking
up the ball and Owen took advantage to slot home from a narrow angle.

There were still more chances at either end, a Paul Roberts header against
the bar and a Carl Owen blaster following a Tony Williams break but Port
looked the stronger team from start to finish and well deserved their

This game lifts Port into 7th place only three points behind Bangor and
stretches their unbeaten run to eight games. They also recorded their ninth
clean sheet of the season.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber, Foster: Steve Jones (Tony
Williams), Gareth Parry, Ritchie Owen, Gareth Caughter: Mark Williams (Tony
Williams), Carl Owen.
Sub not used: Dafydd Evans.

Bangor: Acton, Blackmore, Hoy, Eifion Jones, Baker, Simon Davies, Mark
Connolly, Owain Jones, Paul Roberts, Gray, Les Davies.
Subs: Chris Short, Mottram, Friel, Ogilby.

Gareth Williams 

Lluniau o'r gem / Photos of the match
Vauxhall Masterful Welsh Premier -Sunday, January 2nd

Aberystwyth ... 0		Porthmadog ...0

Port will be pleased with a four point haul from their holiday fixtures
against the Seasiders but from the spectator's point view this is not a game
that will live long in the memory apart that is from the cold biting wind
-the real winner in this game. With both sides having a problem finding the
net this season and only managing 20 goals each in all league matches, this
was never likely to be a high scoring game. As it transpired two industrious
midfields tended to cancel each other out and that together with a blustery
wind ensured that very few goal scoring opportunities were created.

Despite playing into the wind in the opening half Port were quickly into
their stride and in only the second minute won a free-kick on the right
which Mike Foster curled to the far post but John Gwynfor's header went past
the outside of the upright. After the first quarter Aberystwyth settled and
dominated the game territorially but though winning numerous free-kicks and
corners failed to create any really worthwhile openings. With Ryan Davies
and Lee Webber marshalling the Port defence the visitors seemed content to
keep things tight against the stiff wind and wait for their turn to have it
at their backs. Their best attacking move came from a well constructed move
involving Mike Foster, Gareth Parry and Mark Williams which broke down on
the edge of the box. It took until the 34th minute for Aber to pose a real
threat when Glyndwr Hughes took advantage of a quick counter attack along
the right. He surged forward to play in Gari Lewis on the right of the box
but the midfielder's cross shot was deflected for a corner. A few minutes
later and Paul Moore saw his header also cleared for a corner but the
closest the home side came to opening the scoring came from a long ball
played into the box with Glyndwr Hughes in close attention but Gerard
McGuigan dived to save well.

In the second period the visitors proved no better able to turn the wind to
their advantage than the home side. In fact they enjoyed less territorial
domination than Aber had managed in the opening half. Gareth Caughter made a
good early break down the left but was well tackled by Evans. McGuigan was
forced to save well when a Burrows free-kick flew untouched through a
crowded penalty area. The visitors then came close again when following
another Burrows free-kick Glyndwr Hughes pressurised Gareth Parry forcing
him to clear his lines into the side netting. Hughes, who appeared the most
likely forward to get a goal, burst through on the right and it took a well
timed Mike Foster tackle to dispossess him. Just after the hour mark Gareth
Caughter combined well with Steve Jones down the right but there was no
final touch to the winger's low cross. Port now introduced Aled Rowlands and
Carl Owen in an effort to break the stalemate.

Still no worthwhile chances were created. At the Port end Aneurin Thomas
tested McGuigan with a header following a Burrows free-kick and at the Aber
end John Gwynfor mounted a counter attack cutting in to shoot low for Solly
to save at the near post. The best chances came right at the end with Sion
Meredith, for Aberystwyth, twice bursting clear down the left first he
pulled his shot well wide of the upright and the second, a better effort,
which went just wide of the far post. But the best chance of all to settle
the match fell to Port in the 89th minute when Carl Owen outpaced the home
defence to reach a long McGuigan clearance. He broke into the box but
scuffed his shot past the advancing Scolly and wide of the upright. 

Gerard McGuigan will be pleased with his seventh clean sheet of the season
which also means that Port have shared the spoils for the tenth time. Their
unbeaten run is now stretched to six games while Aberystwyth have broken
their run of four consecutive defeats.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber (Tony Williams), Foster:
Steve Jones, Dafydd Evans (Aled Rowlands), Gareth Parry, Ritchie Owen: Mark
Williams (Carl Owen), Gareth Caughter.
Sub not used: Barry Evans.

Lluniau o'r gem / Photos of the match
Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier    -Monday, December 27th.

Porthmadog ... 2            Aberystwyth ...  0
Lee Webber 32
Gareth Caughter 58

Two incidents, 10 minutes apart, in the opening half had, what was probably,
a decisive influence on the result of this game. The first when Port took
the lead, very much against the run of play, just after the half-hour mark.
It came after a Mike Foster free-kick had been cleared out to the left flank
where it reached Ritchie Owen whose  excellent left footed cross found Lee
Webber well placed to turn the ball into the net from five yards. This is
the centre back's third league goal in the last five games. The second came
when Sion James was shown a red card for a so-called professional foul
pulling down Gareth Caughter, who would otherwise have been clean through on

Before these happenings Aber had looked the most likely to open the scoring
and on at least  three occasions the home side were indebted to keeper
Gerard McGuigan for denying the visitors the chance to go into the lead. The
first of the three came when a good ball played into the box gave Paul Moore
a shooting opportunity but McGuigan reacted well to turn it over the bar.
Only six minutes later the keeper threw himself to his left to beat out a
close range Glyndwr Hughes shot and the forward then fired the re-bound into
the side netting. Just after Port had taken the lead Aber carved out another
good opportunity which could have levelled the scores. This came when Moore
slipped a useful ball which found Gavin Allen in space in the box but
McGuigan was quickly off his line and blocked the forward's effort. Port
were also well served during this difficult period to the central defensive
pairing of Ryan Davies and Lee Webber. While much of the threatening action
was at the Port end the home side, apart from the goal, did manage to open
the Aber defence when Steve Jones got behind the defence and his cross to
the far post was met by Gareth Caughter whose header was well kept out by
keeper Solly.

By the second half the swirling rain made conditions very difficult but
whether it was the extra man or not Port soon established themselves as
front runners and started to dominate proceedings. After failing to take
advantage of a good Ritchie Owen ball into the box Gareth Caughter more then
made amends when 13 minutes into the second half he put the home side
further ahead with a well taken goal. Lee Webber again had a hand in matters
rising to a cross from the right and heading back across the goal where Mark
Williams headed over the defence and Caughter in space coolly fired past
Solly for his fourth league goal. Aber did respond briefly first when Sion
Meredith got on to the end of an Aneurin Thomas free-kick but his header was
just off target. Then after 69 mins Glyndwr Hughes dispossessed Mike Foster
finding himself one on one with McGuigan but the keeper who had a much
quieter second period was again equal to the task. This really marked the
end of Aber as a threat and Port should have gone on to win even more
convincingly. Caughter who was involved in most things up front fired wide
after a Ritchie Owen ball had opened the defence. Port introduced injured
returnees Carl  Owen and later Aled Rowlands and Carl Owen should probably
have done better in taking advantage of a poor Solly goal-kick. From the
resulting corner Ritchie Owen powered a 25 yd effort the wrong side of the
upright. Aled Rowlands then fired into the side netting after an excellent
build-up involving Rowlands himself, Carl Owen, Caughter and Steve Jones.
Caughter then slipped in the muddy box after being put through by a fine
Aled Rowlands ball.

This well deserved victory keeps Port in eighth place and as Newtown went
down to defeat at home to Caersws it brings Port within two points  of the
Mid-Wales team in seventh place. Today's game was notable for what must be a
record number of 13 Welsh speakers appearing.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Lee Webber, Mike Foster: Steve
Jones,  Gareth Parry, Dafydd Evans, Ritchie Owen(Aled Rowlands), Mark
Williams(Carl Owen), Gareth Caughter.
Subs not used: Tony Williams, Bari Evans.

Aber: Solly, Nick Evans, David Burrows, Aneurin Thomas, Sion James, Gari
Lewis, Glyndwr Hughes, Bari Morgan, Paul Moore, Gavin Allen, Sion Meredith.
Subs: Jason Rees, andy Evans, Mark Gornall.

Gareth Williams

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier	-Thursday, December 16th.

Welshpool Town ...1		Porthmadog ...1 
Ross Jeffries 49		Lee Webber 51

In a hard fought game Port for the second game in succession held on for a
point in a game where the home side could have taken all three points. The
notorious Maesydre slope once again had a strong influence on the game with
the team enjoying the advantage of the slope, dominating events. So it was
that Port dominated the opening half while Welshpool were on top in the
second period and they also carved out the better scoring opportunities. The
playing surface also dictated the type of game, as the kindest that can be
said about it is that it was barely playable with players on both sides
slithering about unable to gain a safe foothold to pass or tackle.

Port were well on top in the opening half with the home side rarely breaking
out of their own half. They came close with a couple of early efforts as
first Ritchie Owen lobbed just over the bar from the edge of the box and
Webber headed Owain Roberts' corner just past the post. Their best efforts
in a half, where despite their territorial domination they created few
chances, came from Gareth Caughter who after 20 minutes fired in an useful
shot which Dawson gathered at his near post and later another Caughter
effort which Dawson this time failed to hold but there was no one on hand to
pick up the pieces.

Welshpool attacks were restricted to one or two counterattacks. From one of
these McGuigan had to pull off a fine save to deny Gary Roberts. Soon after
Jeffries burst through for the home side but was stopped by a perfectly
timed Webber tackle. 

The second half was however a different story as the home side used their
experience of the slope to good effect. Unlike Port who had used high balls
over the defence the home side relied on the ball on the ground to break
through the centre and turn the Port rearguard. It took Welshpool only four
minutes following the restart to find the net. Brett Jeffries converted
after receiving a square ball from Rogers and fired low from 10 yards. But
it took only two minutes for the visitors to get back on level terms. Having
broken up field they forced a corner on the right and the set piece duo of
Mike Foster and Lee Webber struck when Webber rose well to head in from
close range. 

Then an incident occurred which marred the game. Ricky Evans retaliated
wildly to a tackle by Owain Roberts which led to a nasty stamping. Referee
Huw Jones of Llanrhaeadr responded correctly and showed Evans a red card but
then completely lost his hold on events and also showed a red card to Gareth
Parry who had no part in the fracas and neither was he anywhere near. The
kindest thing that can be said is that it was a case of mistaken identity.
That this is the first red card given to a Port player since their return to
the Welsh Premier only rubs salt in the wound.

 The fracas seemed to have more of an effect on Port than the home side and
although the scoring was over Welshpool created several opportunities. They
struck after the hour mark when McGuigan denied Rogers with a fine reflex
save from point blank range. Two minutes later and Rogers fired into the
side netting when well placed. After 70 minutes Lee Webber headed a Jeffries
header off the line and later the visitors escaped miraculously when a Ryan
Davies turned a Courtney cross on to his own crossbar. Before the end
McGuigan had to rush to the edge of the box to pull off another fine save to
cut out a Shannon effort.

The last two away draws have been close calls but Port have reached the half
way mark in the season in a healthy eighth spot in the table.

Welshpool: Dawson, Windsor, Dowridge, Jackson, Norman, Wilkinson, Mark
Roberts (Courtney), Rogers (Shannon), Jeffries, Ricky Evans, Gary Roberts.
Sub: Glen Evans, Cunnah.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies (Tom Reynolds), lee Webber, Mike
Foster: Tony Williams (Steve Jones), Gareth Parry, Owain Roberts, Ritchie
Owen (Dafydd Evans): Mark Williams, Gareth Caughter. 

Gareth Williams.

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier	-Saturday, December 11th

Llanelli ...1	  Porthmadog ... 1
Craig Williams 10   Gareth Caughter 31

This, on paper, was a game which Port should have won at a canter but in
reality a much changed and much improved Llanelli will feel that they could
quite easily have claimed all three points. On this showing those who have
already sent Llanelli packing back to the Motaquote Welsh League will need
to reconsider.

Llanelli made a spirited start and after only three minutes McGuigan had to
be quick off his line to cut out a useful Craig Williams cross. Port
responded when a Mike Foster break on the left resulted in an accurate cross
only for Mark Williams to put his header wide of the target.  Then the home
side put themselves ahead in the tenth minute when Craig Williams beat Tony
Williams to a low ball played in from the right and from the edge of the box
curled a fine shot into McGuigan's top right hand corner. 

There followed a period of stalemate as Port struggled to get the coach
journey out of their legs and try to establish a platform. They struggled to
get any real pattern into their play and get their usual passing game going.
The play lacked movement and width and consequently the ball was airborne
far too often. Then as if to prove the point just after the half-hour mark
following a good build-up Mark Williams played a clever ball to free Ritchie
Owen wide on the left and Gareth Caughter got his name on the scoresheet
again in his second game up front, when he turned well to steer the cross
past Gareth Williams in the home goal. Play was fairly even for the
remainder of the half Shephard shot over from 25yards for the home side and
at the other end Gareth Parry burst into space in the middle of the field
but Williams dealt with his 25yard shot. 

Port applied the early pressure in the second period and in the first minute
Mark Williams just failed to take advantage of a Dafydd Evans cross to the
near post. Within minutes the same pair almost produced a goal but this time
Mark Williams steered his shot narrowly wide. Though Port pushed forward in
search of the winner they were not able to exert control in midfield and
this was in no small measure the result of an outstanding performance by
Neil Thomas -ironically from Dyffryn Nantlle- for home side, who on the day
controlled things in midfield and always found the space to play some really
telling passes.

As Port pushed forward they were caught out after 74 minutes when Shephard
played the ball into space behind the defence for Craig Williams to run on
to but he had the misfortune to see his shot scrape the top of the bar.
Twice again, in the last five minutes, Llanelli got in behind the visitors
defence and probably should have scored. First it was Shephard whose shot
went narrowly the wrong side of the post and then Cheesman set up Shephard
again but the forward was again off target. At the other end Gareth Parry
had a header saved while Ritchie Owen tested the keeper, who had strayed off
his line, but then Williams retreated to catch the 25 yard lob under his

Port will on reflection consider that this was a point gained on an
afternoon when most fifty fifty decisions went against them, a legitimate
penalty appeal for hand ball was ignored and Gareth Parry was yellow carded
for kicking the ball away when he clearly thought it was still in play. Viv
-never praise referees again.

Llanelli: Gareth Williams, Street, Crabbe, Bird, Ashley, Guy, Shepard, Neil
Thomas, Cheesman, Hislop, Craig Williams. 
Subs: Richard Jones, Bowden, Marks, Connor.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber, Foster: Tony Williams
(Dafydd Evans), Gareth Parry Owain Roberts, Ritchie Owen: Mark Williams,
Gareth Caughter.
Sub not used: Tom Reynolds, Campbell Harrison. 

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r gem / Photos of the match
Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier	-Saturday, December4th.

Porthmadog 3 ...  Carmarthen Town ... 2
Ritchie Owen 18,45. Craig Lima 26,77.
Gareth Caughter 22.

This excellent game was overshadowed by a serious injury to Rhodri 
Jones,the Carmarthen captain and former Manchester Utd apprentice, 
and the sight of the air ambulance flying above the Traeth 
transporting him to Ysbyty Gwynedd dampened spirits considerably. 
The incident occurred after 36 minutes when Jones and Ryan Davies 
challenged for a ball near the centre line with a clash of heads 
leaving the Carmarthen captain lying motionless on the ground. 
The game was not restarted for almost 15 minutes while attention 
was given and arrangements made to transport him to hospital. Ryan 
Davies after a break was able to continueand Port were fortunate 
that this was the case as he performed exceptionally under the 
high ball attack in the final quarter.

Before this Port had made an excellent start and by the 22nd minute had 
scored twice -a rarity in a season where they have found goals hard to 
come by. For the first goal Mark Williams, who gave an outstanding 
performance up front, broke to the bye-line and slipped a fine low ball
which gave Ritchie Owen arriving late from mid-field the simplest tap 
in. Four minutes later and Ritchie Owen became the provider with an 
excellent through ball which found Gareth Caughter in space for the 
forward to coolly break into the box and beat Pennock with a low shot. 
The two goal advantage did not last very long as a right wing Carmarthen
break set up Kennedy but McGuigan made a fine save with his feet but 
this only provided a temporary stay of execution as Craig Lima was on 
hand to fire the re-bound from 15 yds into the corner of the net.

The set back did not deter Port and Mark Williams came close with a 
header from Ritchie Owen's corner and Ritchie Owen hit the side netting 
after a clever ball by Mark Williams. Then came the Rhodri Jones 
incident and for a time the game became quieter but then Nathan 
Cotterellcame close for Carmarthen with a shot which curled over the 
bar. But immediately Port broke up field and Gareth Parry burst into 
the box and found Ritchie Owen breaking on the left and Owen fired a 
fine low shot past Pennock.

The second period started quietly and 12 minutes had past before 
Gareth Caughter tested Pennock after a useful ball from Tony Williams.
An excellent three man move involving Gareth Parry, Owain Roberts and 
Gareth Caughter just failed to set up Mark Williams. Shortly after 
Gareth Caughter again tested Pennock with a low shot and a fine Gareth 
Parry free-kick evaded everyone in the box, when the slightest touch 
would have brought a goal.

With the game looking a certain home win suddenly the visitors stepped 
up a gear. Sub Aspell fired wide when well placed after a Lloyd corner 
had been played back across the goal. Then after 77 minutes Carmarthen 
were back in the game when Gary Lloyd lifted a free-kick to the far post 
where Craig Lima rose first and nodded it past McGuigan. The visitors 
then launched an aerial attack which tested the Port defence with Lloyd 
curling in several dangerous corners and free-kicks. Carmarthen 
persisted to the end and the home side were glad to hear the final 
whistle though Gareth Caughter could have steadied their nerves had he 
taken advantage of an excellent Mike Foster through ball but his shot
screwed narrowly wideof the target. 

Having deserved better in their recent games against the teams which 
occupy the top three places in the league Port will feel that today's 
victory against the fourth placed team was more than justified.

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber, Foster: Tony 
Williams (Dafydd Evans), Gareth Parry Owain Roberts, Ritchie Owen: 
Mark Williams 
(Steve Jones), Gareth Caughter.
Sub not used: Tom Reynolds.

Carmarthen: Pennock, Hardy, Lloyd, Carter, Chiverton, Rhodri Jones, 
Dodds, Kennedy, Lima, Summers, Cotterell.
Subs: Smothers, Kevin Evans, Aspell.

Gareth Williams

Vauxhall Masterfit Welsh Premier	-Saturday, November 27th

Airbus UK ...0	Porthmadog ... 1 
			Lee Webber 29

Port made three changes from the side who had performed so well against
Caersws with Carl Owen out with a broken toe and Gareth Parry, formidable in
mid-field last week, and Mike Foster starting on the bench.The visitors were
well aware that the Airbus ground has not always been a happy hunting ground
for even in their memorable promotion season the home side were the first of
only two teams to inflict defeat on them and for those with longer memories
the home side, while still playing under the name British Aerospace and
playing in the Wrexham area league, had put Port out of the Welsh Cup. 

Having performed well in their last two fixtures with nothing to show for it
it was vital for Port to return home with the three points against a
struggling Airbus. They managed to achieve what they set out to do but few
if any will be pleased with the performance which gave them the points. One
goal separated the two sides but the manner in which the goal came sums up
what was a very forgettable game. Port having forced a number of corners
without managing to take advantage won a another on the left just before the
half-hour mark. Dafydd Evans lifted a high ball across the face of the goal
for Lee Webber to rise to meet it but did not connect fully and the ball
appeared to bounce off his back and roll into the corner of the net leaving
keeper Paul Whitfield a despairing onlooker.

Apart from that attempts on goal were few and far between. The vistors had
started brightly enough and after only six minutes Whitfield had to be alert
for Airbus diving to his right to push an useful 18 yard shot from Owain
Roberts past the upright. Just before Webber's goal a good Port move
involving Dafydd Evans, Ritchie Owen and Mark Williams fizzled out without a
shot on target. After the goal the game deteriorated being played in a
narrow corridor along the middle of an uneven pitch with neither side able
to exploit wide areas to open up the game. In fact in the opening half
Airbus rarely threatened as an attacking force and it was easy to see the
reason for their problems as they have only managed 5 goals in eleven games
this season.

In fact it was not until the 56th minute that they managed their first real
shot on goal when Steve Hughes broke to the edge of the box and fired a shot
into the side netting. Airbus in the second-half showed far more invention
than previously shown and if their play in the box had been sharper they
could have drawn level. Webber on one ocasion had to head a dangerous Jones
cross over his own bar. The longer the game went on without a second goal so
the home side were encouraged to believe that they would get something from
the game. Port were unable to exert any control in midfield as they
struggled to get their usual passing game going. Tom Reynolds made a good
run on the left but there was no one in the box to meet his cross The
introduction of Steve Jones for his first game of the season did inject some
pace up front but still there was no end product. Ritchie Owen sent in a
dipping free-kick which Whitfield palmed over the bar but attempts on goal
were still rare. The best effort came in injury time when Owain Roberts one
of the few Port players to show up well burst down the left from deep in his
own half but his shot was parried for a corner by Whitfield.

That virtually marked the end of a dismal game but looking back over the
last three games Port will feel that the misfortune they endured during
their excellent performances against Rhyl and Caersws more than justified a
spot of good fortune on this occasion.  

Airbus UK: Whitfield, Rigby (Nottage 84'), Smart, Dodd, Davies, Mutanha,
Farrell (C.Jones 61'), Peers, S.Andrews, McIntosh, Hughes (D.Andrews 69')

Port: McGuigan: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Webber, Ritchie Owen, Tony
Williams (Gareth Pary 68'), Dafydd Evans (Steve Jones 68'), Owain Roberts,
Gareth Caughter: Tom Reynolds, Mark Williams (Mike Foster 68').

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us