CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Oswestry Town (h) | Buckley Town (a) | Oswestry Town (LC Semi Final) | Oswestry Town (LC S/F Replay) |
| RhydyMwyn (LC Final) |
PORTHMADOG........4 RHYDYMWYN..........2 (League cup Final at Brymbo.)

    After not playing for the last couple of weeks there was concern about
the fitness of many of the Porthmadog players, but after seeing the result
maybe those fears were unfounded. Port were hoping for revenge following a
6-1 defeat at Rhydymwyn earlier on in the season, but this would not be made
easier because of the absence of many regular performers. Filling the gaps
left in the side were Viv Williams - the ex-Bangor player, Mark Gray and
Richard Stennet.
    The game got off to a slow start, with neither side taking the
initiative. Most of the play was in-front of the Rhydymwyn goal with Port
being helped with the wind that was blowing behind them. Oliver Hall took
advantage of this, unleashing a long range shot from 25 yards that was not
far off the target. But shortly afterward on 14 minutes Port were ahead
following good combining work between the two new players. The ball was
chipped forward by Stennet who reached Viv Williams who managed to control
the ball well and beat his opponent before tapping the ball into the back of
the net.
    The attacks on the Port goal during the first half were few and far
between. However there was a huge scare on 26 minutes after Kenny Dixon
failed to keep his grasp on the ball, and the ball was only cleared off the
line by Stuart Williams. However, there was further bad news due to injuries
in the Porthmadog side, when Phill Dixon had to be helped off the pitch
after an injury.
    But just after the half hour, Port had extended their lead through
Christian Jarvis who had come on as a replacement for Phill Dixon. The ball
was cleared from the box, but only as far as Jarvis who unleashed a low
drive into the back of the net, leaving the Rhydymwyn goalie with no chance.
So a two-nil lead at half time that set Port on course for the win, but what
effect would the wind have on the proceedings in the second half? Could
Rhydymwyn overturn that lead in the second half?
    Rhydymwyn would give it all they had, and in the very first minute they
could have managed to reduce some of that defect, when their number 9's shot
came off the bar. But a couple of minutes later the danger was on the other
side when Oliver Hall forced a save from his header, following a cross from
the right by Campbell Harrison.
    But on 15 minutes Porthmadog's lead was halved following a combination
between Phill Whittaker and their number 9 whose glancing header was enough
to beat Dixon following a cross from Whittaker. This was a good period of
pressure form Rhydymwyn and they were further ahead on 22 minutes following
a scramble in-front of the Porthmadog goal.
    This was a spur for Port and there was some good work from Richard
Hughes and Oliver Hall but to no returns. Their lead was regained on 24
minutes when Richard Stennet made a good run beating four defenders before
unleashing his shot beating the goalie from a very tight angle. A couple of
further chances were created for Jason Jones whose finishing was
disappointing. The lead was only made secure four minutes from time when Viv
Williams got his second from a low drive from outside the box, beating the
goalie completely.
    So, a great victory for Porthmadog to salvage something from a season
that promised much but failed to live up to those hopes. Port, it seems, can
raise their game when it matters which explains the difference between this
performance and the recent poor showings in the league. But this joy was
lessened for some supporters as they travelled home as one supporter was
involved in an accident near Corwen.

K. Dixon, C. Harrison, R.Hughes, M. Gray, S. Williams, L. Webber, N. Barry,
P. Dixon (C. Jarvis), O. Hall, R. Stennet (J. Jones), V. Williams.

Lluniau o'r Dathlu / Pictures of the Celebrations.


PORTHMADOG..........5 OSWESTRY TOWN..........1 (at Llandudno)

During a bleak period in the league it is always good to have the cup to
keep the season going, and there couldn't be a better way to turn things
around after 7 straight defeats in the league than to go all the way in the
League Cup. This was the second game for Port to play in three days, when
many fringe players were tried out. Jason Jones, who had scored in his debut
on Tuesday against Buckley was included in the squad for this match due to
the injury of striker Peter Thomas.
    Port couldn't have got off to a better start as they scored in the very
first minute of the match. The move started as Adam Hyde crossed from the
left to Oliver Hall on the far post. He kicked the ball goalwards, but it
was cleared for a corner. The corner taken by Nigel Barry, which lead to a
goal mouth scramble. A shot was taken and deflected off Phill Dixon into the
back of the net. There followed a period of considerable and sustained
pressure on the Oswestry goal. Oliver Hall, shortly afterwards turned well
and his shot on goal was not very far at all.
    Oswestry did put some moves together during this early period, but their
chances on goal did come on the counter attack. Lee Webber's failure to
clear lead to a chance for Oswestry's Kevin Scott, who wasn't far at all
with his attempt. Their only other chance during the first half came on 23
minutes when Oswestry's number 6 took a free kick that went just wide. But
by this time they were further behind following a brilliant shot by Chris
Banks on 12 minutes. He was unmarked on the right when he unleashed his shot
from 25 yards that left the goalie with no chance.
    By the half hour Port were further ahead following Phill Dixon's second.
Chris Barlow should have scored on the first attempt but stumbled on the
ball right in front of goal. But he managed to get the ball loose to Dixon
whose task was simple. Following this point Port started to sit back on
their lead letting Oswestry to come more in to the match. But despite their
increased possession they failed to create more chances than Port.
    Porthmadog's lead however was up to four by the interval. The goal
stemmed once again from a move started by Adam Hyde whose run saw him
beating three defenders. His shot was weak, but he did manage to force a
corner, which was taken by Olive Hall. The ball reached Nigel Barry on the
side of the box, who attempted a shot that seemed easy enough for Nigel
Salisbury in the Oswestry goal. He flapped his hands at the ball, but it
escape his grasp and float over the line. Perhaps Port's lead at half-time
was a bit inflated if you take into account the possession Oswestry had at
times, but perhaps they deserved that bit of luck that has escaped them
during their recent terrible run in the league.
    It seemed that we were in for more of the same in the second half as
Port scored after only 6 minutes. It came once again after a corner from the
left by Olly Hall, with Chris Banks scoring his second goal with his head
following some poor defending.
    Despite having most of the possession throughout the second half,
Oswestry seemed to fail to turn this into chances on goal. Port did have
more chances on goal but there was a string of very marginal off-side
decision by the referee's assistant. Oliver Hall was twice denied, with
Chris Barlow and Jason Jones also denied as they looked to have beaten
Oswestry's off-side trap. Oswestry's only notable chance during the second
half came after substitute Jason Davies made a good shot that was only
stopped by an impressive dive by Kenny Dixon. Port's nearest chance make it
six came when Phill Dixon found himself clear, and, surprisingly, not off
side. He managed to beat his man, but his shot that beat the goalie went
just wide of the post.
    Oswestry did get a consolation goal in the very last minute of play
following a debatable penalty decision by Simon Newport of Rhuddlan. Tim
Nummerly came down just inside the box, and managed to convert his own
penalty. But this was only a consolation for Oswestry, following a
comprehensive win by Port. So, despite things going a bit pear shape in the
league, it seems that Port can raise their game when it matters, which can
only be a good thing in preparation for next season. Their opponents in the
final, to be played in Llandudno on May 1st, will be Rhydymwyn. So a chance
for them to pay back for the six-one defeat at Rhydymwyn earlier on in the
season. Maybe they will now have something to show for the season after all.

K. Dixon, S. Williams, C. Harrison, R. Hughes, L. Webber, A. Hyde (N.
Robberts), N. Barry, C. Banks, O. Hall (C. Jarvis), C. Barlow (J. Jones), P.



PORTHMADOG experienced another numbing defeat in a midweek outing at Buckley
Town, despite a couple of goals from recent teenage discoveries Jason Jones
and Adam Hyde.
Both teams were guilty of firing blanks in the first session and the
breakthrough was achieved nine minutes into the second period.
Jason Jones, who was spotted taking part in the club's foot-ball in the
community scheme, slammed into the net from 12 yards after taking a pass
from Chris Banks.
But Buckley, who had fallen twice at the Traeth in league and league cup
encounters ear-lier in the season, were back on equal terms inside two
Richard Scott converted a penalty, given when team-mate Darren Peters was
sent tum-bling in the box by Porthma-dog defender Paul Osahan.
That sparked off a mini scoring rush by the hosts, as Richard Ellis powered
in a direct free-kick from 20 yards on the hour, followed by, a snap shot
from the same player from the right corner of the box on 73 minutes.
Porthmadog's debutant 'keeper Richard Harvey, a 17-year-old prospect from
Beddgelert, did not have a hope.
But, at 1-3 down, Colin Hawkins's team were not finished and, in the 75th
minute, they narrowed the arrears through Adam Hyde, shooting in from 10
yards, after another Banks supply. Porthmadog stepped up the tempo in the
furious late stages and pounded the home goal, but the nearest they got was
an 85th minute attempt by Chris-tian Jarvis that forced a super save by the
hosts' Jeremy Porter.

Cambrian News

PORTHMADOG..........0 OSWESTRY TOWN..........0 (AET) (at Llandudno)

Oswestry Town probably went into this game hoping that they could repeat
their win on the weekend by four goals to one. Port on the other hand could
only hope to put an end to their run of six consecutive defeats. Returning
into the Port team tonight were Phill Dixon and Lee Webber to try and
strengthen the team following the terrible recent run.
    The game on Saturday was terrible with both teams playing poorly, and
during the opening minutes it seemed that we were destined for more of the
same. Just like on Saturday it seemed that Oswestry would again have most of
the match. Timothy Patterson and Timothy Nummerly had good chances for
Oswestry to take the early lead. Patterson's shot was stopped by a good save
by Kenny Dixon and Nummerly came very close with a header a few minutes
later. Port, during the early period were very poor, but there was a good
move for them on the half-hour involving Stewart Williams, Chris Banks and
Phill Dixon but their lack of scoring ability showed once again. a couple of
minutes later Chris Barlow should have done better after Nigel Barry put him
clear on goal. However Oswestry didn't create much by way of chances during
the first half either. They had a chance to score through a free kick right
at the end of the first half after Kevin Scott was adjudged to have been
pulled down on the side of the box. But, Neil Price's free kick went well
over the bar to put and end to a very disappointing first half.
    The second half was far better with both sides looking far more
organised and ready for the fight. One of Port's most impressive players was
adam Hyde who showed skill and determination throughout the rest of the
match. Early on in the second half he made a good run down the centre of the
pitch, beating three players before being pulled down on the side of the
box, but the referee decided that there was no foul. The game by now was far
more end to end and Tim Nummerly beat the off-side trap on the other end and
was only stopped by a superb tackle from Stewart Williams. Shortly
afterwards, on the other end, there was a further chance for Port, but
Campbell Harrison's cross from the right was just to high for Darren Thomas
on the far post.
    Thomas was again in the action on 22 minutes when he made a run down the
left only to be pulled down again on the side of the box. The free kick was
taken by Adam Hyde, the ball came off the wall, but only as far as Richard
Hughes whose shot was just wide. There then followed two long range shot by
Port which were not far off the mark. Richard Hughes had the first, and
there then followed an attempt by Chris Barlow. But shortly afterwards
Barlow was off following an incident which happened off the ball. Port new
that things were going to be difficult from that point onwards, and things
were made worse when Darren Thomas had to be taken off following what looked
like a hamstring injury. But despite this Port had two chances to end the
tie before the final whistle. Phill Dixon was put through after beating the
off-side trap, but he shot the ball too early and it went well wide, then
Nigel Barry turned well in the box, before unleashing his shot that was
deflected for a corner. But the teams were on level terms at the end of the
90 minutes and extra time was required.
    The first half of extra time continued in much the same vein as the
second half. there was a scare for Port in the fifth minute after Kenny
Dixon was beaten from the corner. but Matthew Burton's shot went well over
the bar. Mark Evans then had a good chance three minutes later, but his shot
went straight into the hands of Kenny Dixon. Adam Hyde was now instrumental
for Port, involved in most of their pressure. Campbell Harrison made a run
down the right before passing to Hyde whose long range effort was only
inches over the bar. Lee Webber then nearly scored on the near post
following an Adam Hyde corner from the right. In the very last minute of the
match there was a very strange decision by the ref, as he called the play
back from one side of the pitch to the other because Kenny Dixon had been
protesting for what he saw as a foul in the box.
    The second half of extra time saw all the pressure bring put on the Port
goal. But they defended well and stopped Oswestry from turning their
pressure into opportunities or shots on goal. So the game will now have to
go to the replay, but the date is yet to be set. Port will look on this as a
very encouraging performance as it was the first for them not to loose in
the last seven games.

K. Dixon, S. Williams, C. Harrison, L. Webber, R. Hughes, D. Thomas (O.
Hall),N. Barry, C. Banks, A. Hyde, C. Barlow (Sent Off), P. Dixon.


PORTHMADOG..........1 OSWESTRY TOWN..........4

    Things have been going from bad to worse for Port during the last few
weeks and as a result crowds have been falling to depths never witnessed
before. To try and turn around this slump in crowds, the directors decided
to make admission for this match free. But despite the free admission the
crowd was barely over the 100 mark. Under 18 Welsh international Christian
Jarvis was brought into the team this week to be given a chance to play for
the full 90 minutes.
    Things looked well right after the first whistle as they looked a far
better team than their opponents today who were the first team for them to
loose against this season back in October. Port had a lot of possession in
front of the Oswestry goal right from the off, and it was no surprise when
they took the lead just before quarter of an hour into the game. It was a
brilliant effort by Chris Barlow who chipped the goalie from outside the box
on 14 minutes, a shot which was measured to the nearest inch. From this
point onwards oswestry came more and more into the game. On 20 minutes there
was a good chance for Marc Evans but his shot from inside the box, which
followed the failure of the Port defence to clear, was well off target.
    There followed a couple of good moves by Port, which included a few
chances for Chris Barlow. One of his efforts coming very close, with Neil
Sailsbury having to pull a save following his header that came after an Olly
Hall cross and a forward header by Peter Thomas. But shortly afterwards on
39 minutes, Oswestry were back on level terms following a goal mouth
scramble. Mathew Burton was the scorer somewhere in the middle of the
    Just before the interval there were a couple of further efforts by Port.
A Darren Thomas long-ranger forced a corner which resulted in a header by
Richard Hughes that wasn't far. Port were far from impressive in the first
half, neither were Oswestry. But the second half? Well, Oswestry seemed as
mediocre as they had in the first, while Port were awful.
    Adam hyde did show a bit of inspiration during the very first minute.
Making a run down the centre, but he was given very little support. Three
minutes later, on the counter-attack, Barlow found himself free on the
right, but his shot went over the bar. Following this point most of the play
was on the other side of the pitch. It could not have been a surprise for
the home supporters when Tim Nunnerly scored on 63 minutes. He was given the
goal on the plate following a chip that left the Port defence stranded.
    Two chances by Port went begging a couple minutes later. Peter Thomas'
shot went just over the bar, when he really should have scored following a
good cross by Chris Barlow. Then there was no one there to capitalise on a
cross by Christian Jarvis whose cross went across the face of the goal. But
it became a humiliation in the last ten minutes. The defence looked on as
Mathew Burton netted for his second nine minutes from time, and in the very
last minute Kevin Scott made it four. His goal was either an act of pure
brilliance or on the other hand it could have been just a piece of good
luck. What seemed like a cross from the left was deflected into the back of
the net.
    This disastrous result which extended the run of defeats to six was
hardly a confidence boost as Port prepare to play Oswestry again in the
league cup semi-final on Tuesday at Llandudno.

K. Dixon, R. Hughes, D. Thomas, C. Harrison,  C. Banks, A. Hyde, N. Barry,
O. Hall (P. Osahan), C. Jarvis, C. Barlow, P. Thomas.



Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us