CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Llandudno(a) | Buckley [LC](h) | Llanfairpwll (a) | Amlwch [NC] (h) | Rhydymwyn [FL] (a) | Lex XI (h) |

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League  -Saturday, January 19th

Porthmadog ...... 4    Lex XI  ........ 1
Pugh 4                 Buxton 9
Caughter 5, 31
Farr 79.

Port's game with the visitors from Wrexham started with a bang and inside 10
mins had produced three goals. The first came after only 4 mins when Foster
found Farr with a neat lob over the visitors defence and the striker's low
ball across the face of the goal was driven into the net by Pugh. Almost
before the celebrations were complete Caughter had put the home side two up
when he lobbed over keeper Durkin from 20 yds after latching on to Farr's
downward header.
    If Port thought that it was going to be all too easy they were in for a
sharp reminder that games are never over after 5 mins! Just before the 10
minute mark had been reached the home defence was caught out by a ball
played in from the right which went over Danny Hughes' head and found Steve
Buxton. The experienced  former Wrexham and Stockport forward made no
mistake from 10 yds placing the ball past Greg Price. The keeper was making
his debut following his transfer from Witton Albion.
    The game remained full of incident throughout the opening half and it
appeared after 20 mins that Port had added a fourth when Webber headed
Foster's free-kick back across the goal for Farr to find the net with a
header but the linesman had seen someone in an offside position and the goal
was surprisingly disallowed. The third goal was not however long in coming
and, after 31 mins,  the hard working Neil Roberts fed Farr on the right and
the subsequent cross was met by the alert Gareth Caughter who drove the ball
past Durkin for his 12th goal of the season. This represents an excellent
return for a player who spent much of the early part of the season on the
bench. Incidents came thick and fast and a minute later, as he broke into
the box, Farr was brought down, but the referee rejected the justifiable
penalty claim. In injury time in the opening half Carl Owen claimed that his
powerful drive had been kept out using a hand. The referee again waved play
    Lex also had their opportunities and Price had to punch Shaun Jones'
cross ball clear under pressure and just before the interval Timmy Steel
shot over when well placed.
    In the second period the visitors came more in to the game and a fine
cross ball after 52 mins from Scott Roberts on the right was cleared under
pressure at the expense of a corner by Neil Roberts.From the corner Richard
McNeill came close with a header. The home side still threatened and after
54 mins Carl Owen cut the ball back from the bye-line only for Caughter to
see his hat-trick opportunity frustrated by the post. To add insult to
injury the ball bounced conveniently off the post and into keeper Durkin's
    The last 20 mins of the game saw the home side back in charge and
creating numerous chances. From a Foster cross Caughter's downward header
was well saved by Durkin. Then after 79 mins Farr, accepting a Caughter pass
from centre field, made the game safe for Port when his low shot from the
right beat Durkin at the near post. A well deserved goal for a hard working
and skilful performer. Chances still kept coming and after 80 mins a
perfectly weighted pass by Martin Jones put Carl Owen through on goal but he
failed to beat the keeper. The same player moments later cleverly beat his
marker, Kevin Jones, but his shot was well saved by Durkin. The home side
peppered the visitors goal but could not add to their tally while at the
other end Steel neatly controlled a ball from Holman in front of goal but
his shot was well over.
    A satisfying victory for the home side who appear to be returning to
their best after a lack lustre few weeks. The visitors on the other hand did
not fully recover from a start where they conceded two goals in the opening
five minutes.

Port: Greg Price, Neil Roberts, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike Foster
(capt), Dafydd Evans, Martin Jones, Steve Pugh, Carl Owen, Dave Farr, Gareth

Subs not used: Steve Fisher, Meirion Pritchard, Stuart Williams.

Lex XI: Durkin, Holman, Barnes, Goodwin, Kevin Jones, Shaun Jones, Scott
Roberts, Neil Valentine, Timmy Steel, Steve Buxton, Richard McNeill.

Subs: Matthew Barrie, Dave Cunnah, Terry Cook.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Rhydymwyn 1 - Porthmadog 4

Manager Viv Williams put out an extremely young and inexperienced side for
last Tuesday evening's Floodlight League encounter at Rhydymwyn. Only two
regular first team players featured, namely Danny Hughes and Neil Roberts,
while two trialists were also given runouts. In an even opening quarter
Porthmadog managed to take the lead on 15 minutes when a swift break down
the left instigated by Owain Gwynedd was carried on by Lee Cox, who's
pinpoint cross found Meirion Pritchard unmarked and he side footed home from
six yards. Porthmadog was dominating possession but were being caught
off-side regularly. After 25 minutes Port full back Geraint Arthur surged
from the back through the heart of the Rhydymwyn defence his shot was
blocked by a last gasp defensive tackle, the rebound fell kindly for Meirion
Pritchard and his effort was saved by the home keper. The home custodian was
busy again after 35 minutes when Mathew Hughes forced him to dive full
length to parry his effort for a corner. Minutes before the break  the
excellent Danny Hughes burst forward from the back  and his effort from a
tight angle on the right of the box was palmed into the side netting by the
Rhydymwyn keeper. This was a period of sustained Port pressure as we won
four corners in a row but could not get a killer second goal.

The second half was only 10 minutes old however when the second goal
arrived and what a cracker it was. The ball was played to Mathew Hughes 25
yards out. He turned his defender with ease advanced into the box and
hammered home a vicious drive from 18 yards that left the keeper stranded.
Four minutes later Hughes almost added a second when he beat the offside
trap and a clueless assistant referee but his shot went inches wide of the
right hand post. The aforementioned linesman had a nightmare second half,
seemed unsure of the rules and waved for offside every time a Porthmadog
player received the ball regardless of whether he was offside or not.
Porthmadog however consolidated their lead on 63 minutes when the lively
Meirion Pritchard  broke down the right flank  his forceful cross into the
middle found Dan Pyrs who thrust his leg out diverting the ball back across
the keper and in the net for a well taken goal.

It took 70 minutes for Rhydymwyn to force a meaningful save from trialist
Greg Price, he saved well from a Rhydymwyn attacker and the follow up from a
tight angle was blasted over. Porthmadog got their fourth goal 15 minutes
from time. Meirion Pritchard was brought down on the edge of the box, as the 
keeper lined up his wall trialist Lee Cox took a quick free kick which flew
into the right hand corner of the goal for a fine goal. Rhydymwyn managed to
pull one goal back on 86 minutes with a bullet strike from 30 yards by
Mathew Roberts. Price made another good save from a Rhydymwyn free-kick at
the death as Porthmadog held out for a well deserved win.

Porthmadog : Greg Price, Geraint Arthur (Euron Roberts), Gareth Jones, Danny
Hughes, Neil Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Joe Cooper, Owain Gwynedd
Lee Cox, Mathew Hughes, Meirion Pritchard

Gerallt Owen.

North Wales Coast Cup -Saturday, Jan

Porthmadog ..... 2        Amlwch Town .... 0
Dave Farr 33
Dafydd Evans 77

For the second time in three weeks Port were invoved in cup competitions
rather than continuing their fight for promotion to the League of Wales.
This week's opposition are hot favourites for promotion to the Cymru
Alliance with an unbeaten league record this season.
    The early exchanges were fairly even but after 15 mins the home side
should have opened the scoring when a low cross by Pugh created the simplest
of chances for Steve Fisher who failed to take advantage. Port could have
paid for this wasted opportunity when former Traeth regular Mike Davies
played a fine ball across the home box and, after good initial work, Emrys
Jones placed his shot narrowly wide.
    There were further opportunities at both ends but then after 33 mins
Mike Foster hoisted a high cross field pass from the right which opened up
the visitors defence and allowed Steve Fisher to head back across the goal
for Dave Farr to force home past Tony Roberts. Roberts was soon in action
again this time saving well from a fine Steve Fisher strike.
    In the second period Port introduced striker Carl Owen who was returning
having been sidelined with injury for over a month. The home side were now
enjoying the lion's share of the possession. A fine Dafydd Evans pass put
Pugh through on the right but the winger delayed his shot and keeper Roberts
saved well. Pugh and Owen were now prominent with breaks on the right. Farr
headed over one cross from Owen and then Pugh broke along the right reaching
the bye-line before cutting back for the advancing Evans who placed his low
shot into the corner of the net.
    During this period Amlwch were mainly on the defensive with the
experienced Flower prominent but they did come close on one occasion when a
Stuart Williams shot went just wide following Kevin Wallis' short free-kick.
At the end it was Pugh and Owen in tandem again with Owen bringing another
good save from Roberts following another accurate Pugh cross.
     Port will be pleased with the victory and can hopefully show a return
to top form for the Cymru Alliance fixtures to come.

Port: Pritchard, Neil Roberts, Johnson, Danny Hughes, Foster(capt) Evans,
Webber, Caughter, Steve Fisher(Carl Owen), Pugh, Farr.
Subs not used: Neil Fisher, Martin Jones.

Amlwch: Tony Roberts, Ben Jones, Stuart Williams, O'Neill, Flower, Jackson,
Adrian Jones, Andrew Roberts, Mike Davies, Emrys Jones, Wallis,
Subs: Steve Owen, Gareth Pritchard, Darren Thomas, Carl Jones.

Gareth W

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League, 5/1/02.

Llanfairpwll..........2       Porthmadog..........2
Tony Williams 15              Gareth Caughter 53
Jason Harvey 65               Steve Pugh 90

    Port failed to take advantage and close on the league leaders by virtue
oftaking part in the only fixture in the league today to avoid postponment.
Thegame took place on a heavy and uneven surface which was not best
suitedto the visitors passing game.Llanfairpwll, having twice been ahead,
will consider that they ought to have taken the three points.Port,on the
otherhand, will feel that the territorial advantage and the lion's share of
the possession which theyenjoyed, entitles them to the point -courtesy of
Steve Pugh's injury time equaliser.
    The visitors started promisingly and as early as the third minute had
forced a corner onthe left. However the defensive frailties which have
plagued their recent performances returned to haunt them after only 11
mins. whena failure to close down quickly enough in midfield allowed an
innocuouslooking ball to reach Tony Williams who turned inside Patrick
Johnsonbefore unleashing a powerful shot high past Dylan Pritchard from
20yds. Port then continued to force the pace and should have equalised
after 24 mins when Randles fed Pugh on the right and then ran on into the
box onlyto see his header from Pugh's accurate cross go inches wide of
the far post.Only a minute later Webber headed over from a Dave Farr
cross from the right and a couple of mins later only desperatedefence
prevented a slick move by Caughter and Randles from bearing fruit. With
half-time approaching Farr andRandles combined to create an opening for
Webber but his shot went over the bar.
    Llanfairpwll were mainly occupied by defensive duties and both
Redmayne and Geraint Roberts received yellow cards as the home side
employed nononsense tactics to keep thevisitors out. Just before half-time
however, on a rare foray upfield, it took a fine Richard Hughestackle to
keep out the home side's Tony Williams who was looking for his second
    The second-half continued as the first with Port doing most of the
attackingwhilst the home side looked dangerous with occasional counter
attacks inwhich Billy Evans and Jason Harvey were prominent.Harvey
came close with a header following a free-kick on the right. Then after
53 mins the visitors gained a deserved equaliser when a Pugh cross from
the right was headed on by Dave Farr to find Caughter whose wondererful
header from 12 yds gave Partington, in the home goal, no chance.
    Defensive lapses continued to plague the visitors defence when it
appeared that they must now be in the driving seat and pushing for the
three points. After 58 mins poor defensive cover allowed Harvey in on goal
but his shot went narrowly over the angle. Then after 65 mins Llanfairpwll
were back in the lead when Johnson's tackle failed to stop Jason Harvey
who picked himself up to shoot past Pritchard from the edge of the box.
    Port endeavoured to get themselves back into the game and Pugh
slipped a low ball into Farr into the box but the industrious striker failed
to take advantage. Then Partington made a fine save to cut out a ball from
the right. In the 89th min Pugh saw his shot well blocked by Partington
and immediately after Pugh chipped over when he seemed he must score.
Then when it seemed as though Llanfairpwll had successfully ridden out
the storm, thanks to some sterling defence by Geraint Evans and
Redmayne, skipper Mike Foster supplied Pugh on the right and this time
the winger drove powerfully through the packed goalmouth and into the
net. This brought a huge sigh of relief from the visiting bench and
supporters. Whatever the pre- match predictions this was a point gained
for the promotion chasing visitors. Manager Viv Williams will now,
however, feel some concern regarding the 5 games thathave been drawn
this season and will be eager to welcome back leading scorer Carl Owen
from injury.

Llanfairpwll: Partington, Arwel Evans, Geraint Roberts, Colin Redmayne,
Geraint Evans, Gafyn
Jones, Rhodri Owen, Gareth Parry, Billy Evans, Jason Harvey, Tony Williams.
 Subs: Glynne Williams, Gareth P. Roberts, Darren Moore.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Martin Jones, Patrick Johnson, Richard Hughes, Mike
Foster, Dafydd
Evans, Steve Pugh, Lee Webber, Gareth Caughter, Dave Farr, Graham
Randles(Steve Fisher),
 Subs not used: Neil Fisher, Neil Roberts.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.

Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League Cup.

Porthmadog..........2 Buckley..........2 (3-2 to Porthmadog on penalties)
Webber	              Nunnerley

It was the league cup for Port today, and a big challenge against fellow
promotion hopefuls Buckley Town as they both aimed for a semi-final spot.
A cup match was the perfect chance for Port to forget the recent blip in
league form and get back to their impressive early season form. Carl Owen
was still not back to full match fitness, and therefore still unavailable
for selection, so the starting strike-force was again David Farr and Neil

Port started well in the opening minutes, and on 11 minutes it seemed that
 Farr had put them in front, heading home after a cross from the right.
But the linesman had raised his flag in what was a very questionable
decision, with the scorer definitely on side. This decision acted as a
spur for the visitors, who started to put the Port defence under
increasing pressure. The defence looked very suspect on 14 minutes,
allowing Buckley to open the scoring. Tim Nunnerly capitalized on a mix-up
between defence and goalkeeper, with his speculative shot enough to beat
Port's Dylan Pritchard. Indeed, two minutes later Buckley should have
extended their lead, when Phil Hinchcliffe had only Pritchard to beat, but
his shot was off target. Port then tried to get back into the match with
both Steven Pugh and Mike Foster influential on their respective wings.
However, the Port defence looked under pressure with every Buckley
counter-attack, and on 27 minutes, the back line was breached once more by
Tim Nunnerly who capitalized on slack marking. Port had chances to cut the
deficit through Gareth Caughter and Lee Webber, but to no avail. Port's
front men made numerous appeals regarding over-zealous tackling by Jeff

The second half saw Port exerting greater pressure on the Buckley defence,
but they lacked that something extra in the last third of the pitch.
Buckley again looked dangerous on the counter attack, and had many
opportunities to add to their lead and put the result beyond any doubt.
Nunnerly could have completed his hat-trick in the 51st minute, but his
shot was wide and ex-Port favourite, Dave Taylor also came close, but
skied his shot well over the bar. The addition of ex-Buckley striker
Graham Randles in the second half gave Port an added edge, as the home
side created many chances, with Patrick Johnson coming close with a
long-ranger, and later Steven Pugh was tantalisingly close with a header 
just inches wide. On 70 minutes Port's pressure finally paid off when Lee
Webber scored from the side of the box with his second attempt after
continued pressure. 

Webber came close again with a long-ranger, and Pugh was again unlucky not
to score when Paul Turner saved his chip on 72 minutes. It seemed only a
matter of time before Port would draw level, and on 75 minutes Caughter
added his name to the score sheet. A free kick was awarded after Caughter
was pulled down on the right, and following a goalmouth scramble it was he
that netted. Mike Foster was again influential in the second half, as he
was moved into midfield, but the Buckley defence was not breached again in
the match. Despite a last gasp attempt by Dave Taylor the game remained at
2-2 and extra time would be required.

The first half of extra time was a close affair with only two real chances
with Lee Sheersmith and Steven Pugh both coming close for their respective
sides. Port had numerous chances in the second part of Extra Time with
Gareth Caughter, Lee Webber and Steven Pugh all coming close, but not
close enough as the score remained level - there was only one thing for it
- penalties.

David Sweet was first up for the visitors, but Dylan Pritchard, saved his
shot only for the linesman to claim,  to the amazement of the Port
support, that Pritchard had moved before the whistle. However, Sweet
wasn't very thankful after he hit his second attempt over the bar. After
Dafydd Evans and Mike Lewis had comfortably converted their penalties
there followed three failed attempts by David Farr, Gareth Caughter -for
Port-- and Jimmy Harrison for the visitors. After Husseiney and Patrick
Johnson had both netted the pressure was on, and proved to be too much for
Phil Hinchcliffe, meaning that Steve Fisher could make it 3-2 with the
last penalty, a task that he coolly completed, handing Port their ticket
to the semi-finals.

D. Pritchard, N. Roberts (M. Jones), M. Foster, P. Johnson, D. Hughes (S.
Fisher), L. Webber, D. Evans, S. Pugh, G. Caughter, N. Fisher (G.
Randles), D. Farr.

P. Turner, J. Harrison, B. Mackenzie, R. Scott, L. Jones, P. Hinchcliffe,
J. Hinchcliffe, M. Lewis, T. Nunnerley, D. Taylor, D. Sweet.

Subs: J. Husseiney, L. Sheersmith, J. Ulsam.

Iwan Gareth.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.

Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League, Dec 22 2001.

Llandudno..........1 Porthmadog..........2
Thomas 57              Farr 46
                              Pugh 70

After the disappointment of the shock thrashing at Holyhead last weekend,
this visit to Maesdu Park was the perfect opportunity to banish the memory
against out of form Llandudno. It was imperative that Port got back to
winning ways before any rot set in. However there were no early Christmas
presents on offer as the game developed into an uninspiring contest that
failed to warm up the spectators on a bitterly cold afternoon. The first
half threw up little in terms of excitement, and neither keeper was really
tested on more than a couple of occasions. Of the two, it was Phil Owen for
Llandudno (ex-Port) who was required for action most often during the first
45, with David Farr creating a few openings for the visitors. It was Farr
that came closest to score, only to be denied by a good reflex save from
Phil Owen following a low cross from Steve Pugh. Also unlucky not to be on
the scoresheet for the visitors was Neil Fisher, brother of Steve, who was
just inches wide with a header that followed a rare well worked move. Along
with David Farr, another player to make some impression for Port was Gareth
Caughter who was influential down the left hand side. However, few present
at Maesdu could have expressed much surprise at the interval outcome.

However, as the second half started it seemed that we were in for a little
more excitement, with Port looking dangerous on the attack during the early
second period. It took only one minute for Port to take the lead after a
well worked move. Mike Foster's free kick was headed across the goal from
the far post by Lee Webber, and all David Farr had to do was head the ball
into the empty net - however, questions must be asked about Llandudno's
marking. But Port's period of pressure was short lived with Llandudno
starting to put Dylan Pritchard under greater strain - John Macilvogue
heading the ball just over the bar and putting Pritchard on the the ground
as they crashed into each other. Then, on 57 minutes, Llandudno were back on
level terms, Aaron Thomas (also ex-Port) hitting the ball into the
top-corner from a free-kick on the right side of the box, bringing back
memories of his father, Mickey's memorable goal for Wrexham against Arsenal.
However, it is questionable whether a free kick should have been given at
all, with G. W. Jones consistency  being called into question.

There were further scares for Port as Dean Hughes came close to giving the
hosts the lead on 64 minutes. However, Port slowly began to regain their
composure and started to exert some control, with Mike Foster influential
down the left, working well with David Farr. The addition of Graham Randles,
who is still not fully fit, also gave Port an added edge, as it added height
to their attack. On 70 minutes Port were back in the lead, following a
Dafydd Evans corner from the left. Lee Webber again played his part in this
goal, his header coming off the bar, but only as far as Steven Pugh who
planted ball into the bottom corner. It was not plain sailing for Port
during the remainder of the match despite failing to capitalise on further
chances.  Passing errors that were evident in Port's play throughout the
match, leading to some scares late on with Aaron Thomas again creating
problems in the Port defence.

This performance was an improvement on last week's poor showing at Holyhead.
However, this was by no means a resounding victory for Port, who were never
in total control of proceedings. It was clear that Carl Owen's influence
up-front was still sorely missed, and that his return is essential to
bringing Port's season right back on track.

Llandudno: P. Owen, B. Dews, J. Kincaid, S. Roberts, D. Alexander, A.
Thomas, J. Carey, J. Cornish, D. Hughes, J. Macilvogue, G. Rawlings.

Subs: G. Montgomery, B. Hughes, J. Breslin

Porthmadog: D. Pritchard, M. Foster, P. Johnson, N. Roberts, L. Webber, S.
Pugh, D. Hughes, G. Caughter (M. Jones) , D. Evans, D. Farr, N. Fisher (G.

Sub not used: S. Fisher.

Iwan Gareth.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us