CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Llangefni (a) | Connahs' Quay / Cei Cona (h) | Corwen (h) | Llandudno (h) |
| Oswestry Town LC Semi-Final | Holywell Town / Treffynnon (h) | Brymbo Broughton (a) |
Brymbo Broughton ..0   Porthmadog ..2

Porthmadog gained their third successive league win tonight after playing
the opening 13 mins with only eight players. This was caused by the late
arrival of Cambell Harrison, Simon Flower, Stuart Williams and sub Matthew
Hughes. Poor fixture organisation meant a 6.30 pm kick off and this meant
rushing after work for several visiting players-a situation which could
easily have been avoided.What a way to run a league -one down from the
League of Wales!
    Brymbo failed to take advantage of their three player advantage in the
opening quarter. Indeed the first half was eminently forgetable. Brymbo
managed only one real strike on goal and that called for a fine diving save
from Kenny Dixon. Brymbo enjoyed the territorial advantage and Port managed
no worthwhile efforts to threaten the Brymbo goal.
    The second-half proved entirely different with Port threatening from the
start. Good pressure brought three corners in quick succession, without
finding the target, and a good 30 yd shot by Dafydd Evans which was well
saved by Andrews in the Brymbo goal.The best effort came on the hour when
Viv Williams headed just over from a good Harrison cross. Then 8 mins later
and Port were in the lead with a genuine route one goal, of which Wimbledon
would be justifiably proud. Flowers' long clearance bounced over the Brymbo
defence where Viv Williams was quickest to react and lobbed over Andrews and
into the net.A well deserved lead considering the non-stop pressure which
they applied.
    Brymbo's main contribution of the half were two nasty fouls which
probably deserved more than yellow cards. Play was held up for several
minutes on both occasions with Kenny Dixon being fortunate to escape without
a serious head injury. After 81 mins came a fine individual goal which
settled the match. Port defender, Lee Webber, burst through from his own
half and, as  the home defence opened before him, he kept his composure and
finished his run with a fine drive placed beyond the keeper into the corner
of the net. As darkness descended Port ran out worthy winners.

Brymbo: K Andrews, Manuel, C Andrews, Williams, Edwards, Plant, Hillbert,
Robinson, Goodwin, Jones, Phelan, Subs: Huckner, Bloor, Ainge.

Port: Dixon, Harrison, Flowers, Webber, Banks, Stuart Williams, Barry,
Richard Hughes, Evans, V Williams(Matthew Hughes) Alan Jones(Steve P
Williams) Sub not used Caughter.

Porthmadog....2  Holywell Town........1
A game played between two sides who will feel that they have under-performed
this season.  However there was little to suggest, in the first half, that
either side deserves any better than their mid table positions.Little of
note happened in the half and the game bore all the hallmarks of a
meaningless end of season encounter. Then as often happens the team which
enjoys territorial advantage are made to pay for their lack of penetration.
After 43 mins Holywell launched the ball over the static home defence for
Ryan Hill to race on unopposed and coolly place the ball past Dixon in the
Port goal. In the first half Holywell had been well served by their solid
defence in which Murray, Sheil and, former Port player, Paul Osohan were
    Port came out in the second-half showing more determination and purpose
and after 2mins Alan Jones, who had replaced Gareth Caughter, came close
with a near post header. Another header this time by Viv Williams,after
57mins, was diverted for a corner. Then came Port's best period of the game
with Dafydd Evans and Nigel Barry now dominant and controlling the midfield.
After 67 mins Evans went on a good run from midfield and fed the ball inside
to Adrian Owen, who broke his barren goal scoring spell, with a fine 20yd
drive into the roof of the net.
    With the scores level Holywell continued to threaten but mainly by means
of counter-attacks. From one of these it took a fine Banks tackle, after 72
mins, to prevent a goal.Then after 72mins the persistent Nigel Barry worked
the ball out to Viv Williams on the right and he sent a low cross which was
met by Barry again. This time Barry, not a noted goal scorer, looked up and
lobbed the ball over Whitehead, in the Holywell goal, from 18yds. This goal
secured, what had seemed at one time, an unlikely victory for the home side.
A game, which had been for  long periods dull and unimaginative, produced
three  goals worthy of a better occasion.

Port:Dixon, Harrison, Stuart Williams, Banks, Flower, Webber, Evans, Barry,
Caughter (A Jones)(E Jones), Viv Williams, Owen.Sub not used Steve P
Holywell: Whitehead, P.Langley, Murray, Osahan, Sheil, Savage, Parry,
Taylor, Hill, Scully, Sheenan. Subs: Bushell, Poole, K Langley.

by Gareth Williams

Cymru Alliance League Cup Semi-Final

Oswestry Town ...2 Porthmadog ...0 (played at Holywell.)

Oswestry went into the final with a deserved win. They had by far the better
of the first half but all they had to show for it was a disallowed goal by
Neil Pryce.Steve Nunnerly came close after 36 mins but Williams saved well
for Port.
    It was goalless at the interval but after 52mins Justin Bridges met a
far post cross to put Oswestry ahead. This was, ironically, followed by
Port's best period of the match and it needed two good saves by Oswestry
keeper Blower to keep out, first Adrian Owen and then Richard Hughes.
    After 83 mins came the goal which settled the match when, a mistake by
Webber in the Port defence, allowed Pryce to break on the leftand score.
Late on Port came close when a 20 yd shot by Dafydd Evans hit the foot of
the post.
    Oswestry ran out winners, gaining revenge for last season's defeat at
the same stage.
Yes the match clashed with the Wales -Finland game thanks to an FA
Councillor who thought people in North Wales would not be interested in
events at Cardiff. We have a long way to go before football in Wales is
properly organised.

Porthmadog: M Williams, Harrison, Stuart Williams, Banks,R  Hughes, Webber, Evans,
Barry, Caughter, Owen, Viv Williams. Subs: Alan Jones, Emyr Jones, Steve P.

Oswestry: Blower, Burgess, D Jones, O'Shaunessy, Lee Jones, Hinchcliffe,
Burton, Bridges, Nunnerly, Rogers, Pryce. Subs: R Jones, J Evans, Hunter.

Floodlit League.

Porthmadog...2  Llandudno...3

Because of the semi-final against Oswestry, Port had to change their policy
of playing a mixed team. The young team however  performed well and had they
taken their chances in the first 20mins the victory could have been theirs.
Instead, against the run of play, Llandudno went ahead after 21 mins. Port
drew level just before the interval through Matthew Hughes.
    The second half continued with both sides serving up some excellent
football and after 70 mins Port went ahead through sub Alan Jones. This
however proved a turning point in Llandudno's favour with the visitors
growing in strength and confidence and after 78 mins they drew level and 3
mins later scored the goal which secured them the victory.
    The game was an excellent advertisement for the new competition, giving
young players the opportunity to bridge the gap between second and first
team football.

Gareth Williams.

Porthmadog ..3   Corwen ...0
In his programme notes manager Viv Williams said " I feel that the players
have sometimes resorted to playing the ball over the top wheras I want the
ball retained and played more through midfield and played to the feet of
forwards". That must be music to the ears of the Traeth faithful.
    The game opened with early Port pressure and with the players eager to
prove that they knew exactly what the manager wanted.After 7 mins a corner
on the right for the home team and a flicked header from Viv Williams cross
the goalmouth -only for no one to appear on the back post. Then a few
minutes later a sweeping Port move involving Banks, Caughter, Harrison and
then a final ball in by Viv Williams which Barry just failed to reach.
     It was now non -stop Port pressure although after 15 mins Corwen
managed their first attempt on goal when Roberts headed wide following a
free-kick. This was only a brief respite before the inevitable opening
After 19mins a fine pass by Nigel Barry released Harrison on the right and
his excellent low cross was met by Stuart Williams who scored his first of
the season.
    It took 28 mins for Corwen to mount their first serious attack and
Harrison was forced to concede a corner. Three mins later Port went
ahead when following a scramble in front of the visitors goal  the ball
dropped to Viv Williams  who coolly drove it home.
    Pressure continued unabated on the visitors goal with sweeping moves on
both flanks and fine crosses, first by Adrian Owen on the right and then
Stuart Williams on the left, deserved to produce goals. After 40 mins it
must have been a relief to the Corwen defence to see a stray dog appear on
the pitch to hold up proceedings. It also gave Ken Dixon in the home goal
his first save of the game.He collected the stray impeccably and handed it
on to chairman Bob Havelock.
    This must have stung Corwen into action for Dixon was immediately
upon to make a real save to touch over Morris' fierce drive. But a minute
before the end of the half came Port's third goal. Another right wing move
released Adrian Owen whose fine cross was side footed in by Viv Williams
score his 10th goal of the season.
    The second-half started with home supporters confident of seeing the 7
goal haul at Corwen being surpassed. This, however, was not to be with
Corwen successfully applying the off-side tactic to frustrate the home
attack. Port continued to dominate the match and there were good runs by
Adrian Owen, sub Allan Jones and Nigel Barry -who had an outstanding game.
    As frustration mounted Port resorted more and more to the big boot game
which has proved so unsuccessful during the season. The manager, who had
seen his ideas serve the team so well during the first half, had to comfort
himself with his own programme notes -'....but the new system may take a
more time to get used to..'
    Half a loaf is better than no bread and this was the case today for
Port's first-half performance was more than enough to secure the three
Port: Dixon, Harrison, Flower, Webber(SP Williams), Stuart Williams, Banks,
Barry, Evans, Caughter, Owen, V Williams(Alan Jones) sub not used Emyr
Corwen: G Pierce A Owen, Morris, Wilson, Davies, R Pierce, Hughes, Roberts,
Drake, Lowe,
Subs: H Jones, A Jones.

Floodlit League.
Porthmadog 3.. Connah's Quay .....3
Porthmadog played their usual mixture of youth and experience against a
young Quay side. The visitors took only 38 secs to open the scoring. Port
replied after 16 mins and 17mins with well taken goals by Cai Williams and
Emyr Jones. Then another burst of scoring after 60mins and 62 mins saw Quay
back in the lead -their third goal coming directly from a free-kick. The
score remained at 2-3 to the visitors until the 86 min when, with Port
piling on the late pressure, Adam Hyde snatched the equaliser.

Lluniau Llangefni v Port photos
Llangefni 3 ....... Porthmadog 1

After their disappointing performance at home against Ruthin, Port were on
the road again for their penultimate away league game of the season.
Llangefni opened well with the advantage of the slope but soon Port took
command developing good passing movements -quite a contrast to last week.
Barry, Harrison and Evans combined well along the right flank, for the
visitors, and kept the Llangefni defence under pressure but unfortunately it
was a case of flattering only to deceive. Few, if any, clear cut chances
were created, and when half chances appeared an uncertain first touch let
the visitors down.
 The home team relied mainly on counter attacks and breakaways and from one
of these Aled Owen headed wide when well placed.Then when it appeared that
the first half would remain goal less Llangefni broke along the right and
from a long cross Austin fed Rheon Rowlands who beat Dixon from close
range.For all their good approach work Port had failed to create openings
while Llangefni had taken advantage of the opportunity that came their way.
    The second half continued in the same vein as the first half -only more
so.Port showing two substitutions on the resumption, player-manager Viv
Williams on for Emyr Jones and Mark Gray replacing Lee Webber, continued to
hold territorial advantage. After only 3 mins Caughter was put through only
to finish tamely without testing McGuigan in the Llangefni goal.
    Then after an hour a right wing break produced a high cross which Dixon,
in the Port goal could only punch as far as the unmarked Sinnott who drove
firmly into the net.For all their attacking Port were two goals down. Within
two minutes this deficit was reduced when a corner on the right was cleared
only as far as Banks whose near post shot squeezed past McGuigan.
  The game was,however, settled by another Llangefni break 8 mins from time.
This time Austin cut in from the left and was brought down by Simon Flower.
Former Port star Aled Owen sealed his former club's fate from the penalty
spot.By this time Port were down to 10 men,  losing Gray through injury and
having used their 3 subs. For all their pressure Port had not created
chances and the Llangefni defence, well marshalled by former Port captain
Geraint Jones, held firm.

Port: Dixon, Harrison, Flower, Webber(Gray), Stuart Williams, Barry, Banks,
Evans, Caughter, Jones( V Williams), Owen(Steve P Williams).

Llangefni: McGuigan, E Jones, D Thomas, G Jones, Roberts, Wagstaffe, A Owen,
Rowlands, Prosser, Sinnott, Austin. Subs Gafyn Jones, D Evans, Casey Jones.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us