CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Dinbych / Denbigh (h) | Lex (a) | Llanfair PG (NWCCC) (a) | Gresford (h) | Connah's Quay (FL) (a) |
| Caergybi / Holyhead (h) |
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League     -Wednesday, March 13th.

Porthmadog ........ 2       Holyhead Hotspurs ........ 3

    Holyhead completed an unlikely double over promotion challengers
Porthmadog. Even more surprising was the greater desire to win shown by
the visitors considering the high stakes for which the homesters were
playing. A poor game played in atrociously windy conditions which made any
decent passing movements a rarity. Holyhead, however, adapted to the
conditions and played a simple game of clearing their lines and using the
long ball to good effect. Port had the wind at their backs during the
opening half but failed to make the best use of the conditions.
    Port made the early attacks and Innes in the visitors goal needed to
on the alert to reach the ball first when Dann headed down Foster's
free-kick. A good cross from Cox was then headed wide by Dann after 10
mins. Almost immediately Holyhead turned defence into attack and a
speculative shot by Adie Owen from the left of the box found home keeper
Price  way out of his goal and the ball held up in the wind and dropped
into the unguarded goal to put the visitors ahead.
    Port with the wind at their backs continued to enjoy most of the
attacking but failed to create any worthwhoile chances. Their best move
came just before the half-hour mark when Dafydd Evans supplied Pugh on the
right, he in turn found Dann in space in the box but a good Jason Joyce
tackle denied Port the goal.
    The second-half continued with the visitors showing far more
determination against a lifeless and seemingly dispirited Port. After 49
mins the vistors went further ahead when Carl Hagan chased a ball into the
home penalty area and once again Price appeared at fault as he was beaten
from a narrow angle at his near post. Port were now chasing the game but
their only genuine threat came from Pugh's strong runs into the heart of
the defence. Then after 61 mins the home team were thrown a lifeline when
Farr was bundled down just inside the area. The referee pointed to the
spot and Dafydd Evans scored with his usual accuracy.
    Port worked to get back on terms but Holyhead continued to put the
defence under pressure with high balls into the box. After 70 mins Hagan
scored his second with a counterattack along the right. Keeper Price
rushed off his line but Hagan drove low into the net for the visitors
third. By the time Farr scored a second for Port after 85 mins it proved
to be a case of too little too late. This defeat enables Welshpool to open
a seven point gap between themselves and Porthmadog. A gap which will
surely prove too wide to close.
    After so many good performances and good quality football in 2001 what
has happened to Port in 2002? With the changes in personnel that have
taken place the team work and team spirit seem to have disappeared. The
players added to the squad do not appear to have had the desired effect of
strengthening the team. Let us hope for a quick return to the early season
form and enthusiasm.

Port: Price, Martin Jones(Johnson), Short, Webber, Foster, Dafydd Evans,
Danny Hughes, Caughter, Pugh(Cooper), Dann, Cox(Farr).

Holyhead: Innes, Mike Davies, Alan Doutch, James Parry, Joyce, Hodgkinson,
Johnathan Parry, Hagan,  Adie Owen, Taylor, Terry Williams,
    Subs: Garmey, Casey Jones, Jonathan Doutch.

Gareth Williams.

North Wales Floolit League - Tuesday, March 5th.

Connah's Quay Nomads ...... 0    Porthmadog .......... 3

The lack of match practice, caused by two vacant Saturdays, accounted for
manager Viv Williams' decision to put out a strong team against Quay's
mainly youth academy squad. Port took the lead after only 9 mins when Lee
Webber headed in Foster's corner. However they had to wait until late in
the game before adding to this early score. Jon-Jo Dann, a recent signing
from Kendal Town, scored twice, his first after 72 mins and then, five
minutes from the end, he added his second.
    This win means that Port are now in second place behind leaders Cefn

Oherwydd y diffyg ymarfer, a achoswyd gan ddau ddydd Sadwrn yn olynol heb
gem, penderfynodd y rheolwr, Viv Williams, ddewis carfan gre' ar gyfer y
gem yma yn erbyn tim ifanc Cei Cona. Ar ol dim ond naw munud sgoriodd Lee
Webber y gol gyntaf i Port gyda pheniad o gic gornel Mike Foster. Bu rhaid
aros tan 72 munud cyn i'r ail gol ddod oddi wrth Jon-Jo Dann, a arwyddwyd
yn ddiweddar o glwb Kendal. Sgoriodd yr un chwaraewr y drydedd pum munud
cyn ddiwedd y gem.
    Golyga'r fuddugoliaeth fod Port yn codi i'r ail safle yn y gyngrhair
tu ol i Dderwyddon Cefn.

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League      Saturday, February 23rd

Porthmadog ........ 1       Gresford Athletic  ......... 0
Danny Hughes 15.

This was one of only two games played in the Cymru Alliance today and it was
played on an excellent surface more akin to a pitch being used for the
opening game of the season. Port took the three points thanks to a power
strike by Danny Hughes, after 15 mins, from the corner of the box into the
corner of the net giving the excellent Gareth Rowland no chance. It was the
extremely strong wind blowing from the Townend straight down the pitch which
proved to be the most dominating factor in the game. It blew so strongly
that, despite their endeavours, neither side was able to come to terms with
it. This led to a frustrating afternoon for players and spectators alike.
    Port started with the wind at their backs and were soon firmly camped in
the visitors half but the first real shot was a low effort to test Price
from Gresford's Wyn Jones on the right following good work by Phil Jones.
Port pressed with newcomer Jon-Jo Dann prominent but their first real effort
on goal came following a Pugh break on the right only for Caughter  to see
his shot hit the side netting from a narrow angle. Then a moment later Port
were ahead when Danny Hughes' explosive shot flashed across Rowlands goal
and into the net.
    The home side dominated territorially but were unable to force home the
advantage of the wind. The  changes in personel, made recently, may have
affected the usual good understanding that has developed.Though few clear
cut chances were created Dann came close after collecting from Dafydd Evans.
Then Danny Hughes almost reached a curling cross from Neil Roberts and soon
after a Cox cross from the left was headed over by the busy Caughter.Just
before the interval Rowland saved a scorcher from 25 yds by Lee Cox. Port in
their last three matches have had the misfortune to come across goalkeepers
who have been on the top of their game and today was no exception.
    During the second-half the game deteriorated even the further as there
was no let up in the gale force wind. Gresford with the wind at their back
came more into the game but they were unable to create any worthwhile
openings and had almost no efforts on goal. Port once again struggled in
front of goal. One of their best efforts came when Neil Roberts, one of
Port's best players on the day, lifted his cross into the wind and Dann's
powerful header was superbly kept out by Rowland. Just before the final
whistle another header, this time from Caughter, whistled over the bar
following good work by Pugh on the right. Then referee Coltard blew his
whistle much to the relief of players and fans alike.
    Manager Viv Williams will be relieved with the three points which keeps
up the pressure on rivals who were unable to play today but will be
concerned at another nasty injury picked up by Neil Roberts to go with the
one sustained by keyman Carl Owen last week. Owen is likely to be out of
action for at least a fortnight.

Port: Greg Price, Neil Roberts(Johnson), Short, Webber, Foster, Dafydd
Evans, Danny Hughes, Caughter, Cox. Pugh, Dann.
        Subs not used: Joe Cooper, Dave Farr.

Gresford: Gareth Rowland, Paul Jones, Aled Pugh-Jones, Hugh Jones, Tennant,
Roden, Ryan Jeffries, Phil Jones, Purdie, Wyn Jones, Chris Hughes.
    Subs: Kevin Todd, Gareth Pugh-Jones, Ady Roberts.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
North Wales Coast F.A. Challenge Cup, Round 3        Saturday, February 16th

Llanfairpwll ........ 1     Porthmadog  ......... 0
Tony Williams(pen) 90

A last minute penalty meant that, favourites to progress, Porthmadog were
unceremoniously booted out of the Challenge Cup which they last won in
1996/97. This was a game which the visitors dominated to such an extent that
the penalty was the only shot on target which Llanfairpwll managed during
the entire match. Their only other effort of note was when Billy Evans
managed a shot, under pressure from Mike Foster, which went wide of the
target after 10 mins of the second-half.
    From the start Porthmadog camped themselves in the home half of the
field and Llanfairpwll were forced to defend in numbers and rely on the
occasional long ball forward to lone striker Billy Evans. The success of
this policy can be measured by the lack of clear cut chances that the
visitors managed to create despite their territorial domination. For all
their attacking the best that Port could manage were a series of half
chances which they just could not convert into goals. The situation was not
helped by the enforced withdrawal of, leading scorer, Carl Owen with a knee
injury after only 29 mins to be replaced by Dave Farr.
    The nearest Port came to scoring in the first half was from one of the
numerous free-kicks conceded by the home side around the box as their
defence, ably marshalled by Geraint Evans and Colin Redmayne, fought to keep
the visitors at bay. After 41 mins, following a foul on Farr, skipper Mike
Foster sent a curling free-kick over the outstretched arms of keeper
Partington and on to the top of the crossbar before bouncing to safety. For
the rest it was a case of so near but yet so far. As early as the 3rd min
debutant Cox just fail to reach Martin Jones' excellent through pass. Then a
low cross from the right by Pugh for Carl Owen was cut out by the diving
Partington. Just before half-time the excellent Partington was again on hand
to save a Pugh far post header.
    The second-half  continued much the same as the first with the home side
always managing to get as many eight or nine players behind the ball and on
the bumpy and grassy surface the visitors' strikers always needed that extra
touch to control the ball. A good move, after 48 mins, saw Cox play the ball
forward for Farr, who in turn played it diagonally into the box for Dafydd
Evans who at full stretch saw his shot go narrowly wide. On the hour a fine
cross field ball by Foster for Pugh who  crossed for Farr only to see his
shot once again blocked by the ever alert Partington. The keeper was again
in action after 75 mins making a fine save from Caughter, who had now
replaced Martin Jones.
    Then, with the game looking a certainty to enter extra-time, came the
incident which turned the game on its head. Ironically it was a moment of
indisipline by the visitors keeper Greg Price, who had been a virtual
spectator for 89 mins. The keeper received a yellow card for a retaliatory
trip after he had succesfully cleared his lines. Up stepped Tony Williams
and he drove  the ball into the corner of the net and secured Llanfairpwll's
entry into the 4th round of the competition.
    Amazingly a team which had found the net in every one of their fixtures
this season have now gone 3hours and two games without finding the net. With
a return to league duty next week manager Viv Williams will be hoping that
his previously productive strikers will be back on song.

Llanfairpwll: Partington, Gwynedd Jones, Geraint Roberts, Colin RTedmayne,
Geraint Evans, Gareth Roberts, Tony Williams, Gavin Jones, Darren Moore,
Simon Field, Billy Evans.
Subs: Carwyn Parry, Danny Corley, Ioan Jones, Rhodri Owen, Sion Roberts.

Port: Price, Johnson(Neil Roberts), Chris Short, Lee Webber, Mike Foster,
Martin Jones(Gareth Caughter), Dafydd Evans,Danny Hughes, Steve Pugh, Carl
Owen(Dave Farr), Lee Cox.
    Sub not used: Steve Fisher.
Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League   -Saturday, February 9th.

Lex XI ............ 5        Porthmadog ........  0
Richard McNeill 42, 74.
Shaun Jones 80
Steve Buxton 86
Pat Johnson 89(o.g.)

A game of high frustration and disappointment for promotion challengers
Porthmadog. Few who saw the previous encounter between the two sides in mid
January would have believed that such a result was possible but a
combination of Port missed chances, good counter-attacking by Lex and the
superb goalkeeping of Jamie Durkin, for the home team, made a nasty dent in
the visitors promotion challenge.
    This game played in blustery conditions on what proved to be an
excellent surface despite weeks of wet weather. Port opened brightly and in
fact Carl Owen could have given them an early lead but this was only a
foretaste of the incredible series of misses that were to follow. During the
opening half the visitors,with the wind at their backs, enjoyed  90% of the
attacking play but failed to turn their chances into goals. A good low shot
from 20 yds by Steve Pugh after 26 mins was turned past the post by the
diving Durkin and on the half hour mark Caughter created a clear cut
opportunity for Carl Owen, when he chested Martin Jones' cross into Owen's
path but the usually deadly finisher had his finish blocked and then when
given a second bite he shot over the bar from close range.
     Lex, whose only previous threat had come following a run by Shaun
Jones, took full advantage of a midfield mix-up, in the 42nd min,  for the
experienced Buxton to run free on the right and his accurate cross was
converted by striker Richard McNeil. There was still time for Port to create
another opportunity and to squander it before half-time. Caughter was again
the supplier, this time for Farr to shoot wide when he had plenty of time
amd space in the box. Having enjoyed the lion's share of the possession and
scoring opportunities, the visitors found themselves a goal behind at the
    The second-half started in much the same vein as the first with the
visitors on the attack but still unable to unlock a spirited and
hard-working defence and when this was achieved they found Durkin, in the
home goal, in excellent form.First Owen shot just wide then Pugh came close.
Then a powerful header by Pugh on the hour was brilliantly saved by Durkin.
Durkin again saved from Danny Hughes after an inside pass by Carl Owen. Owen
himself saw his shot from a narrow angle roll across the face of the goal to
    What followed was unquestionably the turning point of the game when poor
handling by Port keeper Price allowed McNeill the simple task of shooting
into an empty net. The visitors now had to throw caution to the wind in an
effort to get back into the game. They brought winger Fisher on for striker
Farr and this left Owen as a lone striker. Still the chances came for Port
from the crosses of Foster, Fisher and Pugh and then Dafydd Evans slipped a
well weighted pass into the path of Caughter who was frustrated by another
good save by Durkin.
    Inevitably it was not going to be Port's day and Lex scored again on the
counter after 80 mins when McNeill this time became the supplier with a
cross from the left which was driven into the net by Shaun Jones. Five mins
later and the visitors defence was caught stretched as they pushed forward
and McNeill headed the ball into space for Buxton to run on to and the wily
campaigner scored the fourth for Lex. Almost on the final whistle the rout
was complete when Pat Johnson diverted a right wing corner into his own net.
    Port now face a stern challenge as the promotion race is so intense that
no side can afford to drop any points at all. They will now hope to see
others have equally dismal off days. Lex will be pleased with their
afternoon's work -it is always pleasing to upset the form book.

Lex: Durkin, Kevin Jones, Holman, Goodwin, Pugh, Shaun Jones, Scott Roberts,
Beattie, Buxton, Richard McNeill, Terry Cooke.

Subs: Calvino, Roche, Rutter.

Port: Price, Martin Jones, Danny Hughes, Short, Foster(capt), Dafydd Evans,
Webber(Johnson), Caughter, Pugh, Carl Owen, Farr(Steve Fisher).

Sub not used: Neil Roberts.

Gareth Williams.

Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League    -Wednesday February 6th

Porthmadog ............ 7        Denbigh Town .......... 1
Steve Pugh 10, 79, 86            John Fisher-Cooke 13
Carl Owen   17, 20,85
Steve Fisher 83.

    Porthmadog gained an emphatic victory in this rearranged fixture on a
surface which was a credit to the hard working ground staff. Making his
debut for the home side was Craig Short after his transfer from Bangor City.
The home side began and ended the game at a gallop but in between times they
were matched by an enthusiastic Denbigh strengthened by the inclusion of
several players under the second club rule.
    Port started well and applied all the early pressure. It took them only
10 mins to open the scoring when Pugh darted across goal to meet a Foster
free-kick from the left and head in at the near post. The lead only lasted
for three minutes when Fisher-Cooke capitalised on Danny Hughes' failure to
clear a back pass driving past Price from 12yds. The early scoring was not
over for after only 17 mins Port were back in the lead when Carl Owen
fastened on to a loose ball on the edge of the visitors penalty area and
drove the ball over Bickley from a narrow angle. Three minutes later and
Owen extended the Port lead when he received the ball from Farr on the left
and beat his marker before shooting low into the net.
    After this flurry of goals the game settled into a more even period of
play and in fact the visitors came more into the game. It needed a fine save
from Price to keep out Richard Dalcomb's blistering drive from 25yds which
looked sure to end up in the top corner of the net. Towards the end of the
half Darby might have got Denbigh back into the game when he picked up on
Short's misplaced pass but the home defence managed to scramble clear.
    After the break Port were again close to increasing their lead when both
Owen and Farr came close. Then around the hour mark the visitors started to
enjoy their best period of the game as they pushed ahead in a desperate
effort to get back into the game. Dalcomb, Darby and Fisher-Cooke used their
pace to put the home defence under considerable pressure and forced a series
of corners.The nearest they came to scoring was from a fine free-kick by
Paul Lloyd and it needed a good save by the alert Price to keep it out.
    Then gradually the home side regained their composure and they finished
the game with a flourish adding four more goals in the last 11 mins. After
79 mins David Evans slipped a through ball for Pugh, who had been a constant
threat, to run on to, and with the visitors appealing for off-side, he kept
cool  avoiding Lloyd's desperate tackle to shoot low into the net. Four
minutes later Pugh again threatened on the right before crossing and Fisher
took advantage of Farr's clever dummy to drive past Bickley. There was still
time for first Carl Owen and then Steve Pugh to complete their hat-tricks.
Owen's goal came after 85 mins when he turned in the box to tuck away
Fisher's cross and Pugh a minute later was on hand to take advantage of
Bickley's error  -failing to hold on to Webber's powerful free-kick from the
edge of the area.
    The chances came thick and fast in the latter stages as the home side
broke through at will and in fact had Port taken all their chances the score
could easily have reached double figures. Manager Viv Williams will be
pleased with the performance of his team after two blank Saturdays due to
the weather. Denbigh for all their industry face an uphill struggle at the
bottom end of the table.

Port: Greg Price, Neil Roberts(Martin Jones), Danny Hughes, Craig Short,
Mike Foster(capt), Dafydd Evans, Lee Webber, Steve Pugh, Gareth
Caughter(Steve Fisher), Carl Owen, Dave Farr.
Sub not used: Patrick Johnson.

Denbigh Town: Bickley, Sion Davies, Paul Lloyd, Joe McMahon, Lee Mason,
Christian Warmsley, Aled Roberts, Adrian Hughes, Richard Dalcomb, John
Fisher-Cooke, Trevor Darby.
Subs: Rob Jones, Gareth Davies, Gary Whiting.

Gareth Williams.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us