CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Y Trallwng / Welshpool (a) | Rhuthun (Llandudno) | Airbus UK (a) | Treffynon / Holywell (h) | Fflint Utd. (h) |
| Rhuthun (h) | Cemaes (a) | Llangefni Glantraeth (a) |
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League - Wednesday, April 17th

Llangefni/Glantraeth ............... 1        Porthmadog ............... 3
Gerallt Jones 56                              Carl Owen 53
                                              Dave Farr 61, 65.

With both sides playing their third game in five days they are to be
complemented on their fitness and level of committment. From the start the
visitors were on top, controlling the game for long periods but it took
them over an hour before they were able to turn this domination into a
match winning scoreline. They were not helped in this by some eccentric
and inconsistent refereeing.
    The first-half saw Port dominating the possession and setting up good
moves from midfield with Dafydd Evans, Gareth Caughter and Mike Foster all
prominent going forward. They denied Llangefni the time and space to
develop attacks with the result that the home side did not have one
shooting opportunity throughout the half. On the other hand Port failed to
press home their territorial advantage and created few chances for
themselves. The best efforts came firstly when Mike Foster tested keeper
McGuigan with a low 30yd effort after 20 mins and later Carl Owen turned
well in the box but his shot went just over the bar. On half time McGuigan
failed to hold a Meirion Pritchard cross and only just recovered in time
as Carl Owen placed him under pressure.
    Five mins into the second period and Port could have opened the
when Carl Owen broke on the right but his cross was lifted just over the
bar by Dave Farr. Two mins later and Llangefni could have taken the lead
when Bob Parry might have capitalised on a mistake by Danny Hughes when he
found himself clear on goal.His finish,however, went well wide of the
target. An opening goal was now imminent as Carl Owen and Dave Farr tore
into the home defence. After 53 mins  Farr received an angled pass  from
the left and controlled well before turning inside Geraint Jones and his
powerful drive was beaten out by McGuigan only to see Carl Owen on hand to
put the ball in the net.
    The lead lasted for only three mins before Lee Webber was caught in
possession on the left and Corrie Sinnott took full advantage finding
Gerallt Jones who sent a low shot past the despairing Dylan Pritchard. But
Port were not to be denied and after 61 mins they were back in the lead
when Dafydd Evans found Farr with a fine through ball. The forceful young
striker rounded Geraint Jones before firing a powerful drive past
McGuigan. Only 4 mins later and Farr got his second with a fine header
from Mike Foster's accurate corner.
    As Llangefni pushed forward in an effort to get back into the game
allowed more space at the back and Farr and Owen could easily have added
to their tally with a little more steadiness in front of goal. Then after
70 mins the referee, having ignored many more serious offences, adjudged
thet Lee Webber had pushed Bob Parry in the box and pointed to the spot.
Justice was, on this occasion, done when Gerallt Jones' rather weak effort
was easily saved by Dylan Pritchard. Llangefni continued to work for a
second goal and created an opportunity for Gerallt Jones but his shot was
wide of the target. They also managed a couple of corners but the defence,
well served by Danny Hughes and Richard Hughes, held out for a thouroughly
deserved victory.

Llangefni/Glantraeth: Gerard McGuigan, Martin Bohana, Jason Thomas,
Geraint Jones, John Roberts, Richard Evans, Corrie Sinnott, Andy
Wagstaffe, Bob Parry, Rheon Rowlands, Graham Austin. Subs: Darren
Pritchard, Gerallt Jones, Trystan Prosser.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Richard Hughes, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster, Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Gareth Caughter, Meirion Pritchard (Iwan
Roberts), Carl Owen, Dave Farr. Subs not used: Neil Roberts, Osian

Gareth Williams

Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League  -Monday, April 15th

Porthmadog ............ 0            Buckley Town ................. 1
                                     Lee Jones 4

     Playing the second of four matches in eight days Port slipped to a
second successive single goal defeat. In contrast to Saturday's defeat by
an own goal in injury time the match winning goal came only four mins into
the game. Buckley made the early running and former Port player Graham
Randles fired an early chance  narrowly wide. Soon after the visitors
broke on the right  and as home keeper Dylan Pritchard punched the ball
away he appeared to be pushed to the ground but the referee allowed play
to continue and Lee Jones on the left of the box fired a goal from 12
yds.Buckley should have increased their lead two mins later when Andy
Davies got behind the defence 20 yds out but he was denied a goal thanks
to a fine diving save by Dylan Pritchard at the expense of a corner.
    After being on the receiving end from the a strong physical Buckley
the home side got back into the game and Dave Farr put the ball narrowly
past the upright after Dafydd Evans free-kick had been flicked on towards
the far post. Soon after Joe Cooper shot just over the bar following a
Richard Hughes throw on the left. After 33 mins Port should have drawn
level when good work by Meirion Pritchard allowed Cai Williams to put the
ball behind the defence to give the unmarked Dave Farr a clear chance on
goal but the hard working striker failed to gain a good contact and the
ball drifted over the bar. Five mins later and another good break by
Meirion Pritchard provided Steve Pugh with an opening but his drive went
narrowly wide.
    The second period saw very few if any clear cut chances at either end.
Port now enjoyed the territorial advantage and the visitors made few
forays into the home penalty area.Several of Port's best efforts on goal
involved central defender Lee Webber. Five mins into the second-half he
broke upfield putting in a good 25 yd drive which was, however,
competently dealt with by visitors' keeper Turner. Soon after the same
player came close with a header from Dafydd Evans' free-kick. Then after
78 mins, when Steve Pugh was brought down outside the box, Webber drove a
powerful free-kick which  Paul Turner needed a second attempt before he
was able to gather cleanly. Port continued to dominate territorially to
the end but, apart from a Carl Owen run on the left and one or two
free-kicks around the box conceded by the visitors as they fought to keep
their goal intact, they failed to break a resolute Buckley defence.

Porthmadog: Dylan Pritchard, Neil Roberts, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber,
Richard Hughes, Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Cai Williams(John Glyndwr
Jones), Steve Pugh(capt), Meirion Pritchard, Dave Farr( Carl Owen), Sub
not used Jason Jones.

Buckley: Paul Turner, Jimmy Harrison, Ben Mackenzie, Lee Chamberlain, Lee
Jones, Phil Hinchcliffe, Jeff Hinchcliffe, Andy Davies, James Pierce,
Graham Randles, Ben Chamberlain. Subs: Dave Taylor, Simon Richards, Lee

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League - Saturday, April 13th

Cemaes Bay ........... 1                Porthmadog .................. 0
Gareth Caughter (o.g.) 90

    A closely fought encounter between two sides in contention for the
runner-up spot in the league. Overall Cemaes enjoyed the territorial
advantage but the visitors managed to create the best chances. With the game
seemingly bound for an inevitable goalless draw it was a defensive mistake
in injury time which settled the game in favour of the home side. Ironically
it was Gareth Caughter, who had turned in an impressive performance as
stand-in full-back,  who made the vital error which enabled Cemaes to snatch
the three points. It was a long high ball from the right which was chased by
substitute Richard Owen into the box but Gareth Caughter nipped in front of
him and tried to guide the ball with his head to keeper Dylan Pritchard.
Unfortunately the ball rolled wide of Pritchard's outstretched hands and
into the corner of the net.
    The game  almost had a dramatic opening when with only a minute on the
clock Dave Farr, back from suspension, latched on to a through pass breaking
clear of the defenders on the right of the box but put his shot just wide of
the upright. Cemaes then struck back but their only efforts on goal were
from long range by Nigel Barry and then by Gareth Owen. After 20 mins the
home side came close to opening the score when Robert Williams took
advantage of  a defensive muddle to hook the ball goalwards, only to see his
shot strike the foot of the post before being scrambled clear. After this
Pugh and Carl Owen threatened  for Port and it was thanks to excellent
defensive work by Ryan Davies that the home side kept their goal intact.
    On a bumpy playing surface there were few good passing movements and
though Cemaes played some neat one touch football around the box it did not
produce any clear cut chances. In fact in the final moments of the opening
half Port applied the pressure and Farr was twice unlucky in quick
succession to see his shots go narrowly wide of Richard Harvey's right hand
post and into the side netting. The first following a clever flick by Carl
Owen and the second following his own determined run.
    In the second period with the advantage of the notorious slope Cemaes
applied the early pressure and forced two corners in quick succession. Both
were cleared and neither side really looked likely to score though Dylan
Pritchard for Port had to punch clear with Robert Williams threatening. The
nearest the visitors came to scoring in the second-half was when Dave Farr
flicked a Dafydd Evans corner goalwards only to see Richard Harvey, at full
stretch, pluck it out after a defender's desperate touch.
    Then in injury time came the decisive error which broke the deadlock,
leaving Cemaes to continue their challenge for second spot and Port to start
preparing for next year's challenge. Port looking back on their season's
efforts will note their failure to gain any victories, so far, against their
rivals in the top six.

Cemaes Bay: Richard Harvey, Lee Dixon, Richard F. Owen, Nigel Barry, Ryan
Davies, Gareth Owen(capt.), Mark Owens, Paul Whelan, Robert Williams, Mark
Thomas, Colin Hughes.
Subs: Chris Roberts, Darren jones, Richard Owen.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Gareth Caughter, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Richard
Hughes, Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Iwan Roberts, Steve Pugh(capt), Carl Owen,
Dave Farr.
Subs: Meirion Pritchard, Neil Roberts, Cai Williams.

Gareth Williams
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League    -Saturday, April 6th.

Porthmadog .......... 2                Ruthin Town ............ 2
Joe Cooper 2                            Chris Williams 59
Dafydd Jones(o.g.) 49                Calvin Davies 61

    In the end the fact that they were without three key players, Mike
Foster and Dave Farr through suspension and leading scorer Carl Owen due to
injury, told on Port as they allowed Ruthin back into the game after having
established a two goal lead by early in the second period.
    The home side could not have had a better start to the game when after
only two mins Joe Cooper put them ahead. Gareth Caughter, today an emergency
left back, fed the ball into centre field where Cooper neatly turned inside
his marker before  drilling a low 25 yd drive past Gary Harris and inside
his right hand post. For the remainder of the opening half neither keeper
was troubled as the stiff breeze made control difficult. The few dangerous
moments for Port were provided by the speedy Pugh, once when he got
underneath a Caughter cross and Harris saved comfortably. Then just before
the half-hour mark Pugh was brought down outside the box  and  Dafydd Evans'
free-kick was turned against the post by Caughter before being scrambled
away for a corner.
    Ruthin equally made little impact in the final third and their one
opportunity fell to, the usually dangerous, Calvin Davies but this time,
when put through the middle in space, he squandered the chance with a shot
well wide of the target.
    Port had a dream start to the second-half as well only 4 mins after the
restart newcomer Iwan Roberts and Steve Pugh worked a good one-two along the
right to allow the latter to get to the bye-line before crossing. There it
was met by defender Dafydd Jones who, under pressure from the advancing
Meirion Pritchard, headed the ball into his own net.
    Ruthin were not however about to capitulate and strove even harder to
get back into the game. They were assisted in this by a defence which had
previously seemed comfortable enough to resist the pressure. In a period of
two minutes slack defending allowed the visitors to get back on level terms.
The first came following an unnecessary free-kick on the left and Chris
Williams rose unchallenged to flick the ball beyond Dylan Pritchard. Two
mins later on 61 mins further poor marking allowed Calvin Davies too much
room in the box and this time he made no mistake from 12 yds. The visitors
now enjoyed their best period of the game and both Dewi Roberts and Chris
Williams again came close.
    Later in the half Port came back into the game as they now tried to use
the speed of their strikers instead of the high balls which were easily
countered by the tall figures of Llion and Dewi Roberts. Steve Pugh put Cai
Williams through on the right but the finish was easily dealt with by keeper
Harris. Then seconds later Dafydd Evans put Pugh himself right through on
goal but when it seemed he must score his shot flew wide of the target.
Finally Webber headed over a Dafydd Evans corner and both sides had to be
satisfied with a draw. The news that rivals Cemaes had been beaten only
served to increase the Port disappointment that the three points had not
been secured.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Richard Hughes, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Gareth
Caughter, Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Cai Williams, Iwan Roberts(Neil
Roberts), Steve Pugh, Meirion Pritchard.
Subs not used: Carl Owen, Ywain Gwynedd.

Ruthin: Gary Harris, Dafydd Jones, Mike Payne, Llion Roberts, Dewi Roberts,
Chris Williams, Ryan Harden, Scott Richardson, Calvin Davies, Sion Roberts,
Simon Hulse,
Subs: Simon Jones, Rob Ransone, Ian Hason.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League    -Monday April 1st

Porthmadog .......... 2            Flint Town Utd. ............ 0
Meirion Pritchard 35
Dave Farr 43

    Port gained their third consecutive league victory to put behind them
the recent lean spell and in so doing completed the double over Flint. In
fact the the amount of possession enjoyed by the home side could have
resulted in a far heavier defeat for the visitors.Port started the game
with a strong wind at their backs whipping the heavy rain into the faces of
the Flint defence. The wind was indeed the dominant factor in the opening
exchanges as both sides struggled to control the ball and weight their
passes. Port strikers Carl Owen and Dave Farr chased forlornly as the strong
wind took the ball well out of their reach.
   Flint put together their only threatening move of the opening half after
14 mins when Lee Acott broke on the left and sent in a good cross but Stuart
Hughes' shot was well off target.  After the 20 min mark the home side
enjoyed a good period of pressure and forced four corners in quick
succession as Flint fought hard to keep their goal intact. Nothing came of
these sustained attacks and the nearest Port came to scoring was as a result
of good work on the right by Richard Hughes and Cai Williams but the latter
overhit his cross and Farr running in could not make contact. Soon after
Flint keeper, Dean Hughes, pulled off a fine save to keep out a powerful
Mike Foster 30 yarder.
    Port deservedly took the lead after 35 mins when Dean Hughes beat out
Farr's powerful shot only to see Meirion Pritchard on hand to collect the
rebound and shoot into the net through a ruck of players. Farr himself
deservedly added his name to the score sheet two mins before the interval
when he met Foster's left foot cross from the right with a perfect glancing
header past Dean Hughes who had been a busy and competent last line of
defence throughout the first period.
    Leading scorer Carl Owen was withdrawn at half-time, after taking a
knock, to be replaced by Gareth Caughter. Amazingly the wind and driving
rain which had proved such an influential factor during the opening half had
by now all but disappeared. The second-half continued in much the same vein
as the first with Dean Hughes soon in action again  first narrowing the
angle on Dave Farr who had been put through by Foster and then diving
bravely at the feet of Meirion Pritchard.
    Flint had an opportunity to bring themselves back into the game after 70
mins when Craig Rush and Darren Williams played a good one-two on the edge
of the Port area only for Williams' shot to go wide of the target. And again
after 77 mins a rare error in the home defence when Webber failed to
control, allowing Rush to break one on one with keeper Pritchard. Though the
keeper had been a spectator for most of the game, he advanced quickly and
pulled off a fine save.
    For the remainder Port were well in charge  though they failed to add to
their tally. Dave Farr, who turned in another outstanding performance,
tested the keeper with a powerful effort which was touched over the bar. Cai
Williams found himself free on the right of the box but delayed his shot and
the chance disappeared and then finally, in the dying moments, Merion
Pritchard headed just over from a Dafydd Evans cross.
    A competent all round performance by the home side in which newcomer
Jason Jones again showed up well and also John Glyndwr Jones in his short
period as sub. The main worry now centres around skipper Mike Foster -Mr.
Dependable- who begins a three match ban following his sending-off at

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Jason Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike Foster,
Dafydd Evans, Richard Hughes, Meirion Pritchard, Cai Williams(John Glyndwr
Jones), Carl Owen( Gareth Caughter), Dave Farr.

Sub not used Ywain Gwynedd.

Flint: Dean Hughes, Lee Jones, Simon Jones, Kevin Thomas, Dale Lovatt,
Darren Williams, Sean Beck, Stuart Hughes, Craig Rush, Lee Acott, Darren

Subs: Scott Beck, Paul Jenkins, Andy Watton.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League  - Saturday March 30th

Porthmadog ........... 3        Holywell Town ............ 0
Dave Farr 15
Carl Owen 51
Gareth Caughter 73

    Port at times made heavy weather of collecting the three points against
lowly Holywell -who face an uphill struggle to retain their Cymru Alliance
status. From the start the home side were in charge and the best of the
early efforts on goal came from Meirion Pritchard who settled in well to his
midfield role. Both of his efforts came as a result of dangerous runs on the
right by Steve Pugh. The first after 5 mins brought visitors' keeper Rigby
into action and he saved the shot at the expense of a corner. The second,
three mins later, was a lob which Rigby had to touch over the bar.
    After 15 mins Foster opened up the Holywell defence with a 40yd
crossfield pass into Pugh's path and the winger in turn  burst to the
bye-line before squaring it for Farr to open the scoring from close range.
Rigby was in action again, three mins later, saving again at the expense of
a corner, this time from Carl Owen who had been put through by Caughter.The
home side should have increased their lead after 30 mins when a Foster long
ball over the defence released Carl Owen who saw his shot well saved by the
advancing Rigby.
    Totally against the run of play the visitors could have equalised with
virtually their only attack of the half when Ryan Hill broke down the right
and sent over an accurate low cross for Simon Giddings whose shot went wide
of the target. Half-time was reached with a single goal advantage for the
home team -hardly a reflection of the territorial domination which they
    Holywell opened the second period brightly and came close when a Shane
Francis curler was just wide of the angle. Then almost immediately came a
quick Port counter set up by Gareth Caughter in midfield. Caughter's
perfectly weighted through ball freed Carl Owen who raced on and this time
gave Rigby, in the visitors' goal, no chance and thereby reaching 20 goals
for the season.
    Holywell could have reduced the arrears after 63 mins when Webber gave
the ball away 30 yds out and Ryan Hill took advantage breaking towards goal
but Dylan Pritchard in the home goal, who had hitherto had little to do,
proved that he was wide awake and advanced quickly to pull off a fine
save.The visitors now enjoyed their best period of the match and Francis saw
his shot go narrowly wide followed by a dangerous effort by Giddings which
was pushed on to the bar by Pritchard before scrambling it away.At this
stage Danny Hughes and Mike Foster had to work hard to hold the defence
    Port however made the game safe after 75 mins when the Holywell defence
stood still as Dave Farr slipped the ball through to Caughter in the box.
With the visitors' defence expecting an offside decision Caughter played to
the whistle and rounded Rigby before placing the ball in the net for his
10th goal of the season. Towards the end Port could have added to their
tally when first Farr and then Pugh came close.
    Though not a memorable match it marks another small step in Port's
effort to regain their earlier form. They will be further encouraged by the
news that rivals Cemaes, Llangefni and Buckley have all dropped points.It
also marks a successful debut at right-back for Jason Jones from Nefyn.
Holywell face a difficult task to retain their status but it would, indeed,
be sad if a club with their tradition and facilities were to go down.

Port; Dylan Pritchard, Jason Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike Foster,
Dafydd Evans, Meiron Pritchard(John Gwynfor Jones), Gareth Caughter(Ywain
Gwynedd), Steve Pugh, Carl Owen(Cai Williams), Dave Farr.

Holywell: Dean Rigby, Paul Docker, Paul Aigbogun, Darren Wilde, James
Everall, Shane Francis, Geraint Rowlands, Simon Giddings, Kristian Evans,
Ryan Hill, Martin Love,
Subs: Simon Sharpe, Richie Roberts.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League    Saturday March 23rd

Airbus  ........ 2        Porthmadog    .......... 3
Steve Hughes 74           Dave Farr 18
Karl Atkinson 76          Steven Pugh 80
                          Carl Owen 88

    At one stage in the second-half it appeared that this was a game which
was to hinge on an incident which occured just before the interval. That
was the moment when Mike Foster retaliated after escaping what could well
have been a serious injury having been unceremoniously bundled on to the
concrete surrounding the field of play and narrowly missing the fence
post. Referee Spender had no option but to show Foster the red card but
amazingly allowed the perpetrator of the original, dangerous offence
-James McIntosh- off scot free! Then after being one goal up after 18
mins, thanks to a good move involving Joe Cooper and Steven Pugh with Dave
Farr coolly finishing off from close range, the 10 men of Port forfeited
the advantage when Airbus scored twice in two minutes.
    After a long period of pressure, on 74 mins, a, Scott Piper, long
from the right saw, the ever dangerous, Steve Hughes out jump the Port
defence to head in a fine goal. Then only two mins later Karl Atkinson was
on hand to take advantage of a rare piece of defensive slackness by the
visitors to shoot low past Dylan Pritchard from 12 yds.
    That could well have been the end for the visitors with midfield
livewire Caughter forced to take up the left back berth and the tireless
Farr left to forage on his own up front. Airbus now enjoyed the bulk of
the possession and forced Port back into their own half having to defend
in depth and rely on occasional counter-attacks. From one of these Meirion
Pritchard, 20 yds out, let fly with a thunderous overhead shot which Will
Dixon did very well to pluck out from under his bar.
    Then after 80 mins Port were back in the game. On one of their forays
front they managed to force a corner on the left. Dafydd Evans' corner
found Pugh unmarked on the far post and he headed Port on  level terms.
Soon afterwards Joe Cooper, who came through some sterling work
closing-down and tackling in midfield, powered a low shot from 25 yds into
the side netting.The came the introduction of top scorer Carl Owen whose
speed and good control posed a new threat for the home defence . With time
running out Dave Farr, by now operating in midfield, released  Owen with a
fine pass down the left for the striker to prove that the long lay off had
not ruined his finishing skills. After racing on for 20 yds he cut in and
drove low into the corner of the net past Dixon.
    A minute later and Owen could well have scored a second after a
defensive slip, but this time he was unable to beat the advancing Dixon.
Port then held on through five mins of added time to secure a notable
victory which hopefully spells the end of the recent lean spell.
    Airbus will probably feel that they deserved a point but the fighting
spirit of the 10 men proved to be decisive. All ten deserve credit but
mention must be made of Dylan Pritchard's performance under great
second-half pressure, another accomplished occasional appearance by
Richard Hughes, Dave Farr's running and skilful ball holding up front and
Lee Webber, though carrying an injury, and central defensive partner Danny
Hughes for a no nonsense display at the back. Well done the ten men!

Airbus: Will Dixon, Dave Gregory, Ian Parry, Geraint Roberts, Garry Wynne,
Scott Piper, Paul Murphy, Karl Atkinson, Steve Hughes, James McIntosh,
Adam Owen.
    Subs: Kevin Wynne, Anthony Marsh, Chris Milroy.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Richard Hughes, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster, Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Gareth Caughter, Steve Pugh, Meirion
Pritchard(Carl Owen), Dave Farr.
            Subs not used: Cai Williams, Ywain Gwynedd.

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League Cup Semi-Final   -Wednesday March
20th. Played at Llandudno.

Ruthin Town    ....... 4                Porthmadog .........1
Ryan Harden 20(pen), 77(pen)    Lee Webber 63
Calvin Davies 75,83.

    Though the scoreline does not fully reflect the perfomances of the two
sides on the night, apart from one period in the second-half, Ruthin were
very much in control. The game was eventually decided during a period of 8
minutes in the second half when Ruthin scored three times. After 75 mins
the ball was needlessly given away in midfield and dangerman Calvin
fastened on to it for Ruthin before running on to score with a drive from
18yds. Then only two minutes later the Port defence conceded its second
penalty of the evening when Dafydd Jones was adjudged to have been brought
down in the box. Ryan Harden stepped up to convert his second penalty
        This put Ruthin 3-1 up and the game was then put out of Port's
when Calvin Davies again took advantage of some poor defensive play to
surge through and place the ball well beyond Dylan Pritchard. Previous to
this burst Port had forced themselves back into the game with a series of
attacks and a succession of corners. From one of these a  Pugh cross from
the left was met by Farr only to see his header well saved by Gary Harris
in the Ruthin goal. Inevitably came the goal which brought the scores
level with a fine header from Lee Webber following Foster's well placed
corner. At that stage Port looked as though they could take the tie but
then followed Ruthin's best period which blew Port's chances away.
    Ruthin's other goal, their first, came after twenty mins of a poor
half, when Martin Jones brought down Harden on the edge of the box. The
referee pointed to the spot and Harden himself placed his shot passed the
keeper's left hand.
    The game ended on a sour note when the referee totally unnecessarily
showed Port's David Farr a red card for a second bookable offence. Another
case of an official showing not a vestige of common sense.

Ruthin:Gary Harris, Mike Payne, Roy Beech, Llion Roberts, Dewi Roberts,
Chris Williams, Ryan Harden, Colin Roberts, Calvin Davies, Sion Roberts,
Dafydd Jones.
    Subs: Ron Ranson, Neil Davies, Ceri Jones.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Martin Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster, Dafydd Evans, Gareth Caughter, Joe Cooper, Steve Pugh, Meirion
Pritchard, Dave Farr.
    Subs: Cai Williams, Ywain Gwynedd, Stuart Williams.

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League

Welshpool Town ........... 2            Porthmadog ........... 1
Rob Cookson 3mins                      Meirion Pritchard 70
Frank Mottram 55

This was the league's match of the day and following their poor midweek
performance a make or break situation for the visitors' title aspirations.
These aspirations suffered the worst possible setback when Welshpool were
awarded a free-kick on the edge of the Port penalty area after only three
mins. Outstanding young prospect, Rob Cookson took full advantage of the
situation when he sent a left foot curler into the top corner of the net
well out of reach of the despairing Price. Port could have struck back
almost immediately when Joe Cooper, making his first start for the visitors,
saw his effort from the edge of the box touched over the bar by Goodwin. At
this stage it was end to end play Mottram turning well in the box for Pool
only to see his shot to go narrowly wide and at the other end Pugh feeding
Farr who controlled well in the box but his finish was off target.
    As the half wore on the visitors exerted more control on the game and
enjoyed the best of the possession and territorial advantage. Dave Farr
leading the visitors line was in outstanding form holding the ball up well
and linking up with skipper Mike Foster who was turning in another excellent
performance along the left flank. Their good work was not being turned into
goals and Farr's striking partner Dann lacked the pace and passing accuracy
to take advantage. It was not surprising therefore with the home side
retaining their single goal lead at the interval that Port introduced
Caughter to replace Dann for the second period.
    Ten minutes into the second-half experienced striker Mottram put the
Pool further ahead. The ball was squared in from the right and Mottram
appeared to muff the chance when he sent a scuffed shot goalwards only to
see the outstretched Price failing to gather and only managing to push the
ball low into the corner of the net. It will not go down as one of Mottram's
better efforts but it turned out to be one of vital importance.
    Then followed Port's best period of the match as they threw themselves
into attack with sub Gareth Caughter working well with Farr up front.The
visitors threw caution to the wind and took off defender Johnson and
introduced Meirion Pritchard who had been recalled  from his loan spell with
Felinheli. After 70 mins Pritchard justified his introduction when he was on
the spot to take advantage of Farr's flick-on following Pugh's header across
the face of the goal, scoring from close range. The action was now all at
the Welshpool end with the home side having to be satisfied by the
occasional counterattack. A Farr lob from the edge of the box was saved at
full stretch by the capable Goodwin. Caughter's shot was saved at the
expense of a corner and this was the signal for a succession of corners.
>From one of these Goodwin saved well from Pugh and McGill did well to clear
a Meirion Pritchard effort off the line.
    But it was all to no avail the Welshpool defence, well marshalled as
ever by Joel Kinsey, held out. Their victory opens a gap of 10 points
between today's contestants and even with a dozen games left, closing that
gap would appear to be mission impossible. Port supporters will take heart
from a much improved performance from their team and will have been pleased
with outstanding individual performances by Farr, Foster and Webber and the
good showing of subs Caughter and Pritchard in the second period.

Welshpool: Goodwin, McGill, Cookson, Ingram, Martin Evans, Joel Kinsey, Mark
Roberts, Garry Evans, Mottram, Chris Roberts, Windsor.
                Subs: Pryce, Bird, Ben Kinsey.

Port: Price, Johnson(Meirion Pritchard), Short, Webber, Foster, Dafydd
Evans, Danny Hughes, Joe Cooper(Cox), Pugh, Farr, Dann(Caughter).

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us