CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Rhuthun / Ruthin (a) | Brymbo Broughton (a) | Denbigh / Dinbych (a) | Halkyn / Helygain (a) |
| Guilsfield/Cegidfa (a) |

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League - Saturday, May 4th

Guilsfield .......1            Porthmadog ......... 2
Dave Foster 19                Gareth Caughter 64, 70.

    Port brought the curtain down on a season which had promised more but
ended with a respectable fourth place. Guilsfield on the other hand have one
more game left and will have to await the outcome of the relegation quandry.
This was Port's first ever visit to Guilsfield and certainly hope that they
will be visiting next season again -though hopefully not the following
season! The visitors were impressed by the excellent set-up being developed
at Guilsfield -one of the top four playing surfaces in the league, a very
polished match programme and warm sunshine as well.
    Port were missing five of their most experienced players and their young
side were given a testing time before edging victory in a game where both
sides set out to play a passing game. Port enjoyed the better opportunities
in the early stages with a good link-up between Iwan Roberts and Meirion
Pritchard ending with the latter's shot being deflected for a corner.
Shortly after Gareth Caughter tested keeper Vart from a tight angle on the
    It however fell to the home side to open the scoring when a long ball
through the centre was allowed to gather pace on the slope and Dave Foster
was the first to react beating the advancing Dylan Pritchard to just toe-end
the ball into the net. The ensuing collision left both striker and keeper
needing attention from the trainer. The home side were close again when
Dylan Pritchard needed to be at full stretch to touch over a dangerous
Andrew Watkins free-kick from the left of the box.
    Port could have struck back when three of their young forwards combined
in the best move of the match. Meirion Pritchard played the ball inside on
the left for Iwan Roberts to show excellent vision in freeing Ywain Gwynedd
on the right, but the winger's intelligent lob went narrowly over the bar.
Webber then came close with a free-kick from the edge of the box and then
Iwan Roberts freed Dafydd Evans on the right but the shot was diverted for a
    Early in the second-half the home side could have increased their lead
but Dave Walton failed to take advantage of a defensive mix-up and his shot
from the edge of the box flew wide. Then with Guilsfield enjoying a period
of sustained pressure the visitors broke quickly, after 64 mins, to produce
an equalising goal which bore a distinct resemblance to the game's opening
goal. Again the ball was played down the middle and as it gathered pace on
the slope Gareth Caughter only needed the slightest of touches to guide it
past Dave Vart and into the home net.
    Port now enjoyed their best period of the game with Dafydd Evans and Joe
Cooper controlling the mid-field and after 66 mins they would have gone
ahead but for Andrew Watkins' perfectly timed tackle on sub Cai Williams.
But only four mins later and the winning goal came, following and excellent
break on the left. Meirion Pritchard played the ball inside to Cai Williams
who in turn slipped the ball to Caughter well placed in front of goal.
Caughter then drew the keeper and tapped the ball into the net.
    There followed an intense period of pressure from the home side as they
fought to get something out of the game. This was a testing time for the
visitors defence with John Glyndwr Jones, Jason Jones and Lee Webber having
to do some excellent covering at the back as Foster and Bocking threatened
down the left. The closest the home side came to the equaliser was when,
with less than ten mins left on the clock, a powerful ball from the right by
Jamie Loxam was allowed to run across the goal and it needed a full-length
dive by Dylan Pritchard to touch it round the post.
    With time running out Port threatened again and Joe Cooper came close
with a low shot from the edge of the area and Cai Williams turned a Jason
Jones cross on to the cross-bar.
    Port have enjoyed a good end to the season giving opportunities to a
number of young players who who appear to have a bright future in the game.
Guilsfield will hope that they get that bit of good fortune which their
efforts deserve, and that we shall see them playing at Cymru Alliance level
next season.

Guilsfield: Dave Vart, Andrew Watkins, Lee Williams,  Steve Pritchard, Steve
Wynne, Dave Walton, Jamie Loxam, Ian Clarke, Dave Foster, Sion Lewis, Jamie
Subs: Elwyn Turner, Scott Jones, Mike Cockram.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Jason Jones, John Glyndwr Jones, Lee Webber, Neil
Roberts, Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Iwan Roberts(Rylan Roberts), Ywain
Gwynedd(Cai Williams), Meirion Pritchard( Geraint A. Owen), Gareth Caughter.

Gareth Williams.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League - Monday, April 29th Halkyn..........1 Porthmadog..........3 Port went into yet another 6:30 start with a weakened squad due to injuries and work commitments. This was a classic game of two halves, with Port's youngsters coming from behind to dominate the second half. The 1st half was a scrappy mid-field battle on the hole, with neither side really getting the upper hand. The first chance of the game fell to Port after Iwan Roberts was brought down on the edge of the box. Dafydd Evans' resultant free kick was scrambled away by the Halkyn defence. It was another free kick which provided another opening on 12 minutes. Meirion Pritchard was bundled down after a good run, but Lee Webber hit the free kick high over the bar. The home supporters had to wait nearly 20 minutes to see their side's first real attack. A fine cross was played in from the left and a deft header by Ian Taylor forced a save from Dylan Pritchard. This was a good period of pressure for Halkyn; only 5 minutes later, a corner from the right forced Pritchard to punch clear, with Ian Taylor then heading the ball over the bar. Yet another Halkyn attack after 33 minutes saw Stuart Wood crossing the ball in only for Ian Clayton to head well over. The breakthrough for the home side came 8 minutes from the end of the half. A disputable free kick was awarded on the edge of the Port penalty box. But Stuart Wood's finishing left nothing to discuss - his thunderbolt of a shot left Pritchard with no chance. >From the outset, Port showed they were a changed side in the second half, and it only took 5 minutes to draw level. John Jones received the ball from Dafydd Evans' short free kick and crossed the ball dangerously. Lee Webber's far post header just managed to squeeze past Alan Tyrrell to bring the sides level. 5 minutes later, Iwan Roberts, who was outstanding in an unfamiliar striker's role, had two good runs at the home defence. The first was terminated by a foul, and the second saw his shot fly past the right post. A chance then fell to Jo Cooper - a good shot right across the face of the goal. Webber came close to doubling his and Port's tally when, after 63 minutes, his second attempt at free kick came off the post. The free kick came about after good interplay between Joe Cooper and Iwan Roberts, which ended up with Roberts being tripped by Keith Davies. There then followed a long period of sustained Port pressure, and it was no surprise when, after 85 minutes, they took the lead. A long free kick from the half way line bought the home keeper rushing out to the edge of his box. When the ball fell to Lee Webber on the edge of the box, he kicked the ball back over his head, leaving the keeper Tyrrell stranded and unable to prevent the ball from bouncing into the open goal. Halkyn's response was to attack immediately, but their forays did not create the visitors any real problems. Indeed it was only a couple of minutes later when Port made the game safe. Geraint Owen, on his debut, played a dangerous ball in from the right, which passed everybody but Meirion Pritchad on the left. He in turn played the ball back into the box and Iwan Roberts finished it off with a volley which left the keeper with no chance. Port will be happy with this win over a strong Halkyn side. The emergence of promising talent such as Iwan Roberts, Joe Cooper and Meirion Pritchard surely bodes well for next season. It begs the question whether these players would have served the club better than some of the more expensive imports who didn't really perform midway through the season. Port: D. Pritchard, N. Roberts, L. Webber, John Jones, D. Hughes, J. Cooper, I. Roberts, D. Evans, M. Pritchard, R. Roberts (G. Owen), Y. Gwynedd (C. Jones) Halkyn: A. Tyrrell, D. Horne, M. Johnson, J. Jones, K. Davies, I. Clayton, S. Wood, K. Roberts, G. Thomas, I. Taylor, S. Alcock. Subs: M. Scott, N. Henderson, J. Bryce. Emyr.
Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League  - Saturday, April 27th

Denbigh Town ....... 0            Porthmadog ............ 0

    The score was a fair reflection of the game where the stiff breeze and
the hard ground meant that an extra touch was needed and so both sides found
it hard to create and the visitors, especially, lacked the steadiness in
front of goal to punish the already doomed Denbigh. The youthful home side,
under the returning coach Roy Cook-Hannah, will be pleased with a
workmanlike performance and a determination to play a passing game.
    Port opened well into the breeze and should really have settled the game
in the first quarter of an hour. After only 4 mins a Pugh header into space
freed Carl Owen but the leading scorer snatched at the opportunity and his
shot found the side netting. The same player two mins later was again
uncharacteristically off target after good work by John Glyndwr Jones and
Meirion Pritchard on the right. Then Caughter was wide of the target after
being put through by Pugh.Good runs by Meirion Pritchard and Steve Pugh both
ended when they were brought down on the edge of the box.
    Inevitably the failure to capitalise on good approach play allowed
Denbigh back into the game and the young team began to string some good
moves together but despite their neat passing they only rarely threatened
the Port goal. Their first serious attack came after 17 mins when a good run
through the middle by Lee Mason, but his good supply into the box  was well
cut out by Port keeper Dylan Pritchard under pressure from Richard Jones.
    It took the home side until the end of the first-half before they had a
serious shot on goal  when a good angled ball from the left found Aled
Roberts in space on the right of the box but his shot was narrowly wide.
Just before this Meirion Pritchard, for the visitors, had slipped as he was
about to shoot when well placed after a Carl Owen run on the left and low
cross into the box.
    The second-half continued much as the first with neither side able to
control the game and despite the good approach play of the home side they
did not threaten in front of goal. Port were the more likely to score
despite a performance which was well below par. Their best efforts came
following good work and close control from Meirion Pritchard around the box
but his finish was weak and easily saved by Bickley. Then Pugh ran past two
defenders but his low cross was pushed past the upright by the well-placed
Carl Owen. Good defensive work by Aled Roberts saved  Denbigh after a bad
lapse by Bickley in the home goal.But this was a game destined to be a
goalless draw and when a  defensive header by Dafydd Evans fell into the
path of Mike Owen, for Denbigh, he blazed it over the bar.
    Denbigh will be happier with the result as they take a small step
forward in developing a young team who may be able to regain their place in
the Cymru Alliance. Port on the other hand will be left wondering where the
flood of early season goals have gone and though they huffed and puffed
today's game appeared to be just a pointless end of season encounter.

Denbigh: Neil Bickley, Kevin W. Jones, Tom Jones, Sion Davies, Mike Jones,
Aled Roberts, Lee Mason, Rhys Jones, Richard Jones, Jamie Groves, Richard
Subs: Mike Owen, John Jones, Jon Salter

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Jason Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Neil Roberts,
Dafydd Evans, John Glyndwr Jones(Joe Cooper), Steve Pugh( Osian Roberts),
Gareth Caughter, Meirion Pritchard(Iwan Roberts) , Carl Owen

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r Gem / Pictures of the match.
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League - Wednesday April 25th

Brymbo Broughton ..........1 Porthmadog ..........2

            This game was delayed by some 10 minutes after some of 
Porthmadog's players were late arriving due to an accident. This is one of
the inevitable consequences of the bizarre fixture decision to play a
midweek game at a ground with no floodlights - with a 6:30pm kick-off!
Lets hope the Cymru Alliance sort this out by next season.
            We had to wait almost 13 minutes more for any real action once
the game had started. The first chance fell to Carl Owen after good work
down the left by Meirion Pritchard. The ball fell to Carl Owen, after Iwan
Robers' initial shot was blocked, but his shot went well over the bar. As
Port put a lot of pressure on the Brymbo defence, further chances fell to
Carl Owen and Meirion Pritchard, but both will be disappointed with their
efforts. Carl Owen did manage a first shot on target, with a volley on 21
minutes, but his shot went straight to Clemence in the Brymbo goal.
            There was only 17 minutes left in the fist half when Brymbo
managed their first meaningful attack, but Byron Gabb's shot went way over
the bar. This signalled a short period of pressure from the home side,
with James Williams again shooting over the bar on 33 minutes. This should
have been a warning for the visitors who had been so dominant in the first
half an hour, and on it was only 4 minutes later before Brymbo
capitalised. A cross in from the right caused problems for the Port
defence and, after Byron Gabb had missed his kick, the ball fell to Dion
Jones. Jones had plenty of time to blast his effort home, leaving Dylan
Pritchard with no chance in the Port goal.
            Port immediately went on the attack - knowing that after their
superiority, they should not be a goal down. Within 4 minutes they were
back on level pegging, but the manner in which the equaliser was scored
demonstrated their recent problems in front of goal. Carl Owen's cross
from the left looked to be causing little problems until the ball took a
cruel bounce - and bouncing off the unfortunate Craig Hughes into the back
of the net for an own goal.
            The second half started with Brymbo showing far more urgency
than they did in the 1st half. From a long range free-kick, Byron Gabb
maybe should have done better with his header, which went straight at the
Port keeper. It was took quarter of an hour for Port to register their
first threatening attack. After Joe Cooper was pulled down on the edge of
the box Gareth Caughter's curling free-kick was tipped over the bar by
            The game then settled into a midfield battle, with a few hefty
challenges coming in from both sides. It took some good work from Gareth
Caughter, down the left flank to break the deadlock after 72 minutes.
Caughter managed to get a cross in for the awaiting Carl Owen, who side-
footed the ball past Clemence.
            Neither side managed any sustained pressure during the 
remaining minutes - Gareth Caughter's 84th minuted long range effort was
probably the best chance. Port held on for 3 points which will help them
to a respectable, but disappointing, position in the league.

D. Pritchard, Jason Jones, John Jones, L. Webber, N. Roberts, I. Roberts
(D. Hughes), J. Cooper, G. Caughter, D. Evans, C. Owen, M. Pritchard. Sub
not used: R. Roberts

Brymbo Broughton:
S. Clemence, R. Edwards, D. Burke, C. Hughes, G. Williams, D. Jones, J.
Williams, M. Plant, G. Lloyd, P. Burke, B. Gabb. Subs: D. Pemberton, A,
Davies, S. Inge.

Emyr Gareth.

Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League -Saturday April 20th

Ruthin Town ............ 1            Porthmadog ............ 1
Sion Roberts 30                       Meirion Pritchard 41

    This must have been one of the most one-sided draws either of these two
sides have taken part in. Despite total domination from start to finish the
'Ruthin bogey' remained as effective as ever and denied Port a richly
deserved victory. The visitors started the game in the same vein as when
they outplayed Llangefni on Wednesday. As early as the 3rd minute Caughter
could have put Port ahaed when he received the ball in the box, after Ruthin
had failed to clear a corner on the right. His shot from close range went
over the bar. A minute later Carl Owen shot over following good work by
Meirion Pritchard and Dave Farr.
    Port whose excellent brand of football carved out chance after chance
seemed determined to spurn even the simplest of opportunities. The usually
reliable defensive partnership of Llion Roberts and Dewi Roberts were
constantly under pressure as they were turned and pulled apart by the
excellent running of Dave Farr and Carl Owen. After 24 mins Jason Jones put
his pass behind the Ruthin defence for Farr to run on to, but the striker
put the ball into the arms of the advancing Gary Harris.
    With chances being created and squandered at a rate of knots the
inevitable happened and Port, on the half-hour mark, were caught on the
break following a corner. Neil Roberts under pressure failed to clear and
Sion Roberts gratefully accepted Ruthin's only chance of the half and shot
low and beyond Dylan Pritchard's right hand. This was only the briefest of
respites in the one-way traffic. Gareth Caughter went past two defenders on
the left and slipped a low ball to Carl Owen but this time the shot was
blocked on the line for a corner. From the corner Port had several stabs at
goal before it fell to Caughter but again the Ruthin goal escaped.
    It was scant justice when after 41 mins Port got back on terms.
Following a throw on the left Caughter crossed for Meirion Pritchard who
turned inside a defender before placing his low shot into the net. There was
still time before the interval for good moves to create opportunities for
Carl Owen and Gareth Caughter, chances which they would normally have scored
with their eyes closed. Unbelievably half-time was reached with the scores
    The profligate visitors started in more or less the same vein in the
second period with Carl Owen narrowly failing to get a good contact five yds
out. Calvin Davies did threaten for Ruthin after 58 mins when given a yard
too much space and Dylan Pritchard saved well throwing himself to his right.
Then it was back at the other end for Farr to head a Steve Pugh cross that
was deflected past the post and two mins later Gary Harris saved well from
Carl Owen and though Farr was on hand for the rebound, he managed to put it
wide. A fine Caughter, Owen, Farr move brought another excellent save from
Harris. There was still time for more -a Carl Owen header going  just over
and a Farr drive into the side netting. The home goal led a charmed life
leading one visiting supporter to suggest that the ground should be
exorcised before the next visit. Before the end Lion Roberts rose high for
Ruthin to head a corner narrowly wide but there were to be no more goals and
there are no prizes for guessing which team was most satisfied with the
    Although the result was far from being a reflection of the play, the
visitors will be more than pleased by their pattern of play. The great
running up front was supported by creative midfield play and mention must
also be made of newcomer Jason Jones who turned in another excellent
performance at right-back.

Ruthin: Gary Harris, Mike Payne, Roger Beech, Llion Roberts, Dewi Roberts,
Chris Williams, Huw Price, Richard Cooke, Calvin Davies, Sion Roberts, Simon
Subs: Randall jones, Neil Davies, Sean Hulse.

Port: Dylan Pritchard, Jason Jones, Lee Webber, Mike Foster, Neil Roberts,
Dafydd Evans, Joe Cooper, Gareth Caughter, Meirion Pritchard(Steve Pugh),
Carl Owen, Dave Farr.
Subs not used: John Glyndwr Jones, Iwan Roberts.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us