CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Gynghrair / The League
Trafod / Discussion
Eilyddion / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Trallwng / Welshpool (h) | Bangor [LC] (a) | Aberystwyth (h) | Caernarfon [LC] (h) |
| Rhyl (a) | Rhyl [LC] (a) | Drenewydd / Newtown (h) | Aberystwyth [PC] (h) |

FAW Premier Cup	-Tuesday, September 19th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1	Aberystwyth Town ... 0
Les Davies 42

Porthmadog held out in a tense and exciting finish to win by the narrowest
of margins. The goal which separated the two sides came just before
half-time and was a typical Les Davies individual effort.

The home side controlled the game territorially in the opening half enjoying
the better possession. Carl Owen, who was full of running up front, tested
David Morgan after a good build up down the right. Again Owen after 18
minutes did well to control a high ball under pressure in the box but he
screwed his shot wide. Once more down the left it was Owen again but this
time his powerful shot hit the side netting. The closest of Carl Owen's
numerous first-half efforts came when he drove low through a crowd of
players and Morgan did well to keep out a shot which he only saw very late.

Aberystwyth relied mainly on counter attacks prompted by a skilful midfield
in which Geraint Passmore was outstanding. From one of these breaks Rhys
Roberts, who had another excellent game at the back for Porthmadog, needed
to be at his best to stop Andy Evans with a well timed tackle. With
half-time approaching came the decisive score when Les Davies won the ball
midway inside the Aber half before bursting forward in typical fashion,
shrugging off a couple of tackles on the way, before unleashing a low drive
which skidded into the left hand corner of David Morgan's goal.

In the second half the roles were reversed with the visitors enjoying a
majority of the possession and Porthmadog relying on counter attacks. From
one of these David Morgan had to dive low at his near post to keep out Chris
Evans. Aberystwyth surged forward and Ryan Davies, another Port hero,
cleared off his line to deny Stuart Roberts whose header looked goal bound.
Three minutes later and Burrows headed wide from one of Aberystwyth's many
second half corners. Rhys Roberts was then on hand to save the day clearing
with Richard Harvey stranded and off his line. The home side having
weathered that storm had a couple of chances to settle the game. Les
Davies's 68th minute free-kick from the edge of the box cleared the wall
dipping just over the bar. They had an even better chance in the 74th minute
when following the best move of the match Danny Hughes supplied Chris Evans
clear in front of goal but the young wing man was a little too precise and
Morgan did well diving low to save. Play become over vigorous towards the
end as Aber fought to get back on terms first Andy Evans saw yellow and
following a melee defender Aneurin Thomas saw red.

Even in injury time there was still more excitement as Bari Morgan looked
certain to score for Aber but his well struck shot hit the foot of the
upright and bounced back into the clutches of a relieved Richard Harvey.
Though good passing movements were scarce the closeness of the score created
the tension which gave supporters a nail-biting finish. It was a relieved
and happy Porthmadog who heard the final whistle having erased some of the
memories of their poor league performance against Aberystwyth.  

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Richard
Hughes: Danny Hughes, Gareth Parry, Paul Friel, Chris Evans (gareth Caughter
80'): Carl Owen (Jason Sadler 85'), Les Davies.
Subs not used: Ywain Gwynedd, Geraint Mitchell. Yellow: Chris Evans 70'

Aberystwyth: Morgan, James, Matthew Roberts, Aneurin Thomas, Burrows,
Passmore, Andy Evans, Bari Morgan, Stuart Roberts, Sherbon, Craig Jones
(Kellaway 73')
Subs not used: Gari Lewis, Wilkins, Steve Bowen, Richard Evans.

Referee: Kevin Parry (Llanfairpwll).

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 16th.

CPD Porthmadog ... 2	Newtown ... 3
Carl Owen 11		Christian Courtney 13, 20
Rhys Roberts 27		Justin Wickham 79

After a rush of four goals in the space of 16 minutes in the first half the
scores remained level until the 79th minute. Justin Wickham then capitalised
on a Porthmadog error to sweep his shot from 20 yards into the corner of
Richard Harvey's net and give Newtown their first win of the season.

There was nothing to suggest in the opening exchanges that this would turn
out to be a disappointing day for the home side. They enjoyed the lion's
share of the possession throughout the opening half with Kevin Roberts's
direct runs at the defence causing consternation in the Newtown defence. It
was little surprise when the home side went ahead after 11 minutes when Carl
Owen rose well to head Chris Evans's flighted corner past Jones at the near
post. The lead did not last long as Newtown retaliated braking quickly up
field and Christian Courtney and Danny Barton with a fine exchange of passes
set up Courtney with a clear shooting chance which he took drilling a low
shot past Harvey. Porthmadog were then caught out by another quick counter
attack and once again it was the combination of Barton and Courtney. A fine
30 yard ball by Barton put the pacy Courtney in behind the last defender and
the forward made the most of his opportunity to put Newtown ahead. 

In an open game the opportunities kept coming and the lively Kevin Roberts
was unlucky to see his 20 yard effort fly just over the bar. Then in the
27th minute Rhys Roberts took advantage of a downward header to bring
Porthmadog level, lobbing past Jones. The goal again came via a Chris Evans
set piece. The excitement continued as twice in less than a minute Newtown
had to clear desperately off their line, first through Craig Williams and
then Hope had to clear at the far post. In the 38th minute Kevin Roberts
limped off and his pace and runs down the right were badly missed.

Though Harvey had to turn a Gareth Hughes free kick past his post and once
Webber had to clear off his line early in the second period it was
Porthmadog who created the best chances. Jason Sadler, after 66 minutes, was
put through on goal by Les Davies but his finish was off target. The same
player was put through again two minutes later, this time by Chris Evans,
but once again the striker spurned the kind of opportunity he normally

As the half wore on Newtown began to control things in the middle of the
park and then as referee Andrew Richards ignored loud Newtown penalty
appeals the ball ran loose to Danny Barton but with the goal at his mercy
the forward fired wide. The home goal was now under increasing pressure and
twice in quick succession John Gwynfor Jones had to make desperate
clearances with a goal seeming inevitable. With Newtown pressure mounting
Porthmadog mistakes increased and Justin Wickham took advantage of one of
these to seal the game for the visitors with a 79 minute winner. Porthmadog
threw themselves forward but could not regain the initiative in the final 10
minutes. The nearest they came to scoring was a 30 yard dipping effort by
John Gwynfor Jones.

An afternoon which started brightly enough for Porthmadog ended in
disappointment. Whilst Roger Preece's team travelled home happily having
secured their first win of the season.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Kevin Roberts (Jason Sadler 38'), Danny Hughes, Gareth Parry(Paul
Friel 80'), Chris Evans: Carl Owen, Les Davies.
Sub not used: Richard Hughes. Yellow: Rhys Roberts 58', Lee Webber 82'.

Newtown: David Jones, Craig Williams, Daniels, Desmoreaux, Allen, Gary
Price, Wickham, Gareth Hughes, Courtney, Barton, Hope( Hooley 45')
Subs not used:   Giles, Mat Lewis. Yellow: Gareth Hughes 53', Alan Hooley

Attendance: 198

Gareth Williams www.porthmadogfc.com    

Loosemore's League Cup Group Stage - Tuesday, September 12th.

Rhyl ... 1		CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Mark Connolly 86'

Who says that lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place? It did at
the Belle Vue over the weekend as Rhyl inflicted more misery upon Porthmadog
repeating Saturday's heart-breaking 86th minute winner with yet another in
tonight's League Cup game. After a goalless first half the Rhyl victory game
thanks to a superbly struck 86th minute free-kick from 25 yards by Mark connolly
which dipped under the crossbar into the corner of the net giving
Richard Harvey no chance. 

Having matched Rhyl twice, albeit with strong defensive performances,
Porthmadog deserved at least a point on this occasion. However Rhyl's
ability to build up periods of sustained pressure once again edged them the

Rhyl were first out of the blocks when Mark Powell broke in from the right
firing a powerful shot wide of Harvey's far post. Rhyl despite their
possession and superior corner count were restricted to a couple of long
range efforts from Clampitt and a Timmy Edwards header from a set-piece. And
when Hay broke strongly on the right his progress was restricted by a well
timed tackle by Ryan Davies, once again in excellent form for the visitors.
The home side would have gone ahead after 39 minutes but for a couple of
fine saves in quick succession by Richard Harvey. The first when Port failed
to clear he pulled off a one handed diving save to thwart Moran and then
immediately at his near post he foiled Horan. Porthmadog were restricted to
attacking on the break and Kevin Roberts used his pace on a couple of
occasions to trouble the home defence one ending with a shot straight at
keeper John Gann and when he overhauled a lost cause down the right saw his
low cross eventually come to nothing. Shortly before the interval a Chris
Evans free kick from the right troubled the Rhyl defence but a sliced Timmy
Edwards clearance relieved the pressure. It remained goalless at the

After early Rhyl pressure in the second period a good through ball by Port's
Kevin Roberts found Jason Sadler but the forward's shot was wide of the
target. Soon after Carl Owen, who came on at the interval, made a good turn
on the edge of the box only to lift his shot over the bar. Rhyl built a
period of strong pressure after Dave Cameron came on after 62 minutes. For a
time the Porthmadog goal led a charmed life. On two occasions the ball was
in the Port net only for the referee to whistle up for previous offences
once after having to consult his assistant. Only a couple of minutes later
Ryan Davies was forced to head off his line and Rhyl's Alex Hay screwed his
shot across the face of goal. Porthmadog weathered this storm and after 84
minutes Carl Owen burst through on the right finding Jason Sadler but his
strike partner had his shot deflected away from goal.

Then came the decider after 86 minutes and though Jason Sadler found time
for an injury time lob which flew narrowly over the bar the game was over
and once again Rhyl had gained all three points after another close
encounter. Despite the defeats Porthmadog may well later look back on these
two games in a different light for it is more than a possibility that they
have matched a team that will place a strong challenge to the two
professional clubs for the top spot in the Principality Welsh Premier. 

Rhyl: Gann, Connolly, Graves, Clampitt, Horan, Timmy Edwards, Hay, Moran,
Wilson, Mark Powell, Orlik (Cameron 62').
Subs not used: Dylan Owen, Adrian Moody. Yellow: Stuart Graves 89'.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G. Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Richard Hughes: Kevin Roberts, Danny Hughes (Gareth Parry 45'), Paul Friel,
Chris Evans: Jason Sadler, Les Davies (Carl Owen 45').
Sub not used: Ywain Gwynedd. Yellow: Les Davies 13'.

Attendance: 328

Gareth Williams ( www.porthmadogfc.com)

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 9th.

Rhyl ... 2			Porthmadog ... 1
Andy Moran 50'(pen.)	Richard Hughes 40'
Gareth Wilson 86'

A valiant second-half rearguard display from Porthmadog finally yielded,
allowing sub Gareth Wilson to snatch a winner with only four minutes left.
This together with a hotly disputed 50th minute penalty enabled the home
team to come back after being a goal down at the interval.

The visitors started brightly with runs by Carl Owen and Les Davies keeping
the home defence on their toes. Owen held off Horan after 13th minutes but
his shot from 18 yards was off target. Gradually Rhyl started to control
things in midfield setting up some good passing movements. Harvey had to
touch a long range free-kick, by Graves, over the bar and Horan was
unfortunate to see his set piece header cannon off the crossbar. But with
Ryan Davies, Webber and Rhys Roberts outstanding in defence for Porthmadog
clear-cut chances for the home side were few. Their best move came when
Moran split the Port defence with a super ball for Hay to run onto. The
forward broke into the box but the ball was cleared by Webber at the near
post at the expense of a corner.

Despite the Rhyl pressure the visitors were never out of the game and as the
half wore on a Les Davies break on the right was a warning with his far post
cross to Carl Owen finding the net but was ruled offside. Three minutes
later and Porthmadog were ahead when an excellent Chris Evans corner found
Richard Hughes in the box and the midfielder placed his header out of
Whitfield's reach.

That lead lasted for only 10 minutes as Rhyl drew level in controversial
circumstances. Porthmadog skipper Lee Webber appeared to win the ball as
Moran fell dramatically in the box but referee Steve Hames ignored all
protests and pointed to the spot. The game's outstanding player Andy Moran
got up to place his shot past Harvey. Rhyl now forced Porthmadog to defend
for long periods and to their credit the visitors restricted Rhyl, for all
their possession, to long range efforts. Connolly fired a good low shot from
25yards off target and a similar Clampitt effort also failed to trouble
Harvey. The nearest Rhyl came to score in this period was a Timmy Edwards
header which flew a foot wide of the upright. Harvey was also in action to
punch away a dangerous deep corner from Graves. Porthmadog were still not
out of the game however and for the second time in the game Carl Owen put
the ball in the net only to see it disallowed for offside.

Rhyl threw everything into attack and spurned a good chance when an
excellent Moran layoff created a chance for Murtagh but the forward shot
well over the bar. Then with the end near sub Gareth Wilson, who had only
been on the pitch for 10 minutes, rifled a Hay cross past Richard Harvey.
The home side had had gained the victory which their pressure and possession
deserved but equally the magnificent Porthmadog defence will feel that they
deserved better than to see a questionable penalty having such a decisive
influence on the game.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: Ryan Davies, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts: John G.
Jones (Y. Gwynedd 90'), Gareth Parry (K. Roberts 68'), Danny Hughes, Chris
Evans: Carl Owen, Les Davies (J. Sadler 75').

Rhyl: Whitfield, Connolly, Graves, Clampitt, Edwards, Horan, Hay, Murtagh,
Moran (Orlik 90'), Cameron(Wilson 76'), Brewerton.

Attendance: 429

Gareth Williams        

Loosemore's League Challenge Cup	Monday, 28 August 2006

CPD Porthmadog ... 3		Caernarfon Town ... 1
Les Davies 20, 59			Steve Watkin 79
Carl Owen 26

What a difference 48 hours can make! Porthmadog followed Saturday's disaster
day with a completely contrasting all round performance. Last season Wayne
Phillips' men ran out winners at the Traeth on two occasions so the omens
were not good before the start of the game. However with goals coming after
twenty and 26 minutes Porthmadog went on to dominate the game adding a third
just before the hour mark and the Caernarfon response amounted only to a
late consolation goal.

With young newcomers Chris Evans, the former Wrexham trainee, and Kevin
Roberts, who was signed from Bethesda, giving width to the Port game and
also adding energy and skill along the flanks the visitors defence was
stretched, rarely looking comfortable throughout the game. Porthmadog could
have gone ahead after 15 minutes when Carl Owen freed Kevin Roberts on the
right and the wide man cut into the box and unleashed a powerful shot which
Paul Pritchard did well to beat out. This only postponed the inevitable and
when the Caernarfon defence failed to clear a Chris Evans cross Les Davies
was on hand to find the net from 15 yards. The visitors defence now came
under intense pressure as Carl Owen worked the channels and they found his
pacy runs difficult to contend with. On 26 minutes Danny Hughes broke up a
Caernarfon move near the centre circle and quickly sent Carl Owen away. The
speedy striker broke into the box and opened his season's account with a low
drive from 15 yards. On the half hour mark the home side came close to
increasing their lead when Pritchard failed to hold a Les Davies effort,
Carl Owen was on hand but the keeper recovered to scramble clear. 

Caernarfon did come more into the game after this and forced several corners
but these came to nothing. The closest they came to scoring was after 32
minutes when Richard Harvey needed to be at his best to keep out a 20 yard
snapshot from Carl Furlong.

In the second period Carl Owen after 56 minutes was only inches off target
following another Chris Evans supply. Three minutes later the lead was
extended to three goals when Les Davies scored his second of the match with
a superb curling free kick over keeper Pritchard and dipping beneath the
crossbar. Port could have made it four but John Gwynfor just failed to
convert a Mike Foster free kick at the far post.

When Steve Watkin was introduced for Caernarfon he soon gave a warning
coming close with a header from a left wing corner and minutes later he rose
unchallenged to head in Gerard Maloney's 79th minute corner providing the
visitors with a small consolation for their afternoon's efforts. Even so
Porthmadog remained in control and it was Danny Hughes who gave another
sterling performance who came close near the end after a good build up
involving Jason Sadler and Chris Evans.

A home win and an away point has given Porthmadog a good League Cup start
-in what promises to be a difficult group.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Kevin Roberts, Danny Hughes, Richard Hughes, Chris Evans: Carl Owen,
Les Davies (Jason Sadler 80'). 

Subs not used: Geraint Mitchell, Barry Jones. No Cards.

Caernarfon: Pritchard, Phillips, Ogilvy, Maloney, Eifion Jones, Bamber,
Chris Jones (Craig Roberts 61'), Maxwell, Furlong (Watkin 61'), Lee Jones,
Sub not used: Quinn. Yellow: Furlong 47', Bamber 53', Maloney 59'

Attendance 304

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, August 26th

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Aberystwyth Town ...4
				Stuart Roberts 43
				Craig Jones 47 (pen)
				Glyndwr Hughes 63
				Geoff Kellaway 87

Though Aberystwyth had completed the double over Porthmadog in 2005-06 few
could have anticipated the way things would turn out on this occasion. It
proved to be a disaster day for the home side for not only did they concede
a penalty just after half-time but having gone through last season without
having anyone sent off within the space of 6 minutes two players saw red.

The opening half hardly suggested what would lie in wait for the home side
in the second period. Porthmadog with the wind at their backs enjoyed the
lion's share of the possession but did not make the best use of it and Carl
Owen and Jason Sadler were denied the type of service on which they thrive.
Instead the home side relied far too much on the long high ball which proved
to be meat and drink for Aber stopper Aneurin Thomas with his proven aerial
ability. Of the few chances Porthmadog created Lee Webber headed an early
Mike Foster free kick over the bar and later Aber keeper had to race off his
line to cut out Carl Owen's cross lined up for Les Davies. Midway through
the half Foster lifted another free kick to the far post but John G Jones
just failed to make contact.

Aberystwyth on the other made better use of more limited possession playing
some neat football with Passmore and Sherbon make good use of the ball in
midfield. A 26th minute cross from Sherbon found Craig Jones at the far post
but the signing from Airbus headed wide at the far post. The game however
was turned on its head in a four minute spell either side of the interval.
Two minutes before half time Stuart Roberts was given room 20 yards out,
following a good build up on the left involving Hughes and Jones and his
perfectly placed low drive found the corner of the net. Then with only two
minutes of the second period gone Lee Webber was adjudged to have brought
down Glyndwr Hughes and referee Maldwyn Williams, who had awarded four
penalties in midweek, pointed to the spot. Craig Jones stepped up and coolly
converted from the spot.

Porthmadog now had a mountain to climb which was soon to assume Everest
proportions when after 61 minutes skipper Lee Webber received a red card for
a second bookable offence. Even worse was to come as Gareth Caughter
received a straight red for a two footed tackle from behind. In between
these two incidents Glyndwr Hughes scored what was probably the best of the
four. He received a good ball from deep along the right wing channel and
broke to the edge of the box before lifting the ball over Richard Harvey to
score. It was easy now for the visitors as they kept possession against the
9-men. Porthmadog did have a couple of chances for a consolation but Ryan
Davies headed over and the same player fired over following a Chris Evans
corner. But it was Aberystwyth who found the net again late on when sub
Geoff Kellaway converted a deep cross from the right.

A promising start to the season turned into a nightmare but having another
game on Monday gives the players an opportunity to regroup and show
something nearer their true ability.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Gareth Caughter, Danny Hughes (Kevin Roberts 82), Ryan Davies, Les
Davies (Chris Evans 68'): Carl Owen, Jason Sadler (Richard Hughes 63')
Red: Lee Webber 61', Gareth Caughter 67'. Yellow: Rhys Roberts 47', Lee
Webber 56'.

Aberystwyth: Morgan, Gari Lewis, Matthew Roberts, Aneurin Thomas (Ross march
84'), Burrows, Passmore (Andrew Evans 78'), Glyndwr Hughes, Bari Morgan,
Stuart Roberts (Kellaway 81'), Sherbon, Craig Jones. 

Cards: None.

Attendance: 339 

Gareth Williams

Loosemore's Challenge Cup	-Tuesday, August 22nd.

Bangor City ... 2		CPD Porthmadog ...2
Ashley Stott 74		Jason Sadler 50
Paul Roberts 81		Ryan Davies 85

This was a game which sprang to life in the second period after a rather
quiet an uninspiring opening half. All the goals came in the second half
with three of them being scored in an eleven minute spell. The visitors
edged the goalless opening half with their pacy striker Jason Sadler looking
the most likely candidate to get his name on the score sheet. Port used a
three at the back formation in the opening half and the three central
defenders did an excellent job reducing the threat of Paul Roberts and Mark
Lloyd Williams to a few long distance efforts.

Jason Sadler got behind the City defence early on and forced keeper Havard
to make a useful save. The same player drew another save from Havard when
his snapshot was pushed round the post. Porthmadog continued to look the
more likely to score with Danny Hughes often the supplier. After 18 minutes
he put Sadler in behind the defence but the striker found the angle too
acute and lifted his shot over the bar. Apart from a few good runs down the
left by Walsh the home side rarely threatened Harvey's goal. As half-time
approached it was Danny Hughes who once more created the opening but Jason
Sadler was forced wide by O'Neill and his shot was narrowly wide of the

After the interval Porthmadog changed to a more attacking 4-3-3 formation
with the introduction of Carl Owen. Within five minutes it had paid off with
the lively debutant Chris Evans winning the ball in midfield for Carl Owen
to supply Jason Sadler and this time the striker made no mistake curling his
shot into the top corner for a goal reminiscent of his super strike at
Richmond Park last season. The goal seemed to spark Bangor into action and
the play became far more physical and action moved from end to end. Walsh
fired wide following a Blackmore corner and Lee Webber had to head off the
line. Then in the 74th minute sub Ricky Evans lifted a free kick to the far
post for Paul Roberts to head back across the goal and Ashley Stott reacted
quickly to beat Harvey from close range. City stepped up a gear and with the
visitors losing their shape and concentration Stott, Bangor's best player on
the night, broke on the left and his cross to the far post found Paul
Roberts who still had much to do but the former Port player cut inside and
fired low into the net.

Just when it appeared that the visitors had lost the initiative they forced
a corner on the left and the trusty left foot of Mike Foster was once again
to the rescue lifting a ball to the far post for Ryan Davies's mishit shot
to find its way into the net. The scores were level and overall a draw was
probably a fair result but Carl Owen almost nicked it for Porthmadog with a
late curler which shaved the upright.

Bangor City: Havard, Blackmore, Beattie, O'Neill, Killackey (Hodgkinson 75),
Stott, Mark Lloyd Williams, Paul Roberts, Walsh, Edwards (Ricky Evans 60).
Sub not used: Wilson. 	Yellow: Blackmore 33'.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: Ryan Davies, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts: John G
Jones, Danny Hughes, Richard Hughes (Carl Owen 45) Chris Evans (Kevin
Roberts 77), Mike Foster: Jason Sadler (Gareth Caughter 67), Les Davies. 
Yellow: John G Jones 85'.

Attendance: 398.

Gareth Williams


Principality Welsh Premier - Saturday, August 19th

CPD Porthmadog ...2	Welshpool ...1
Lee Webber 45'	Aden Shannon 36'
Jason Sadler 70'

This 2006-07 curtain raiser was a repeat of last season's final match and
though it produced a similar result it proved to be a more difficult
encounter for the Traeth men this time round. Welshpool went deservedly
ahead in the opening half but Porthmadog drew level on the stroke of
half-time and went on to clinch the victory with a strong second half

Following a rather tentative opening by both sides Dave Cunnah tested
Richard Harvey with a low free-kick, after 8 minutes, which seemed to gather
speed over the wet grass and the keeper did well to turn it round the post.
This led to the first of series of corners won by the visitors but apart
from one excellent catch under pressure by Harvey the home defence coped
well with the threat. Midway through the half Porthmadog managed to build
some momentum and twice Carl Owen threatened. On the first occasion Pool
keeper McGuigan saved well at the forward's feet but on the second occasion
McGuigan was beaten but Dowring came across to clear under pressure. But
with the visitors controlling midfield they always looked the more likely to
open the scoring and after 37 minutes the dangerous Aiden Shannon found the
net taking full advantage of Steve Rogers's fine cross from the right.

The goal appeared to awaken the home side and almost immediately Gareth
Caughter saw his header fly over the bar and soon after Jason Sadler
appeared to lose his footing in the box when well placed. But with referee
Simon Evans consulting his watch Lee Webber's thunderbolt near post header
from a Mike Foster corner sent the teams in on level terms at the interval.

Whatever was said in the home dressing room appeared to transform
Porthmadog. Almost immediately they threatened with McGuigan having to pull
off a good save to keep out a curling Foster corner. The pressure continued
on the visitors' goal and they should have gone ahead after 48 minutes but
Gareth Caughter's header was off target after an excellent cross to the far
post by Jason Sadler. Now with Danny Hughes and Ryan Davies controlling the
midfield the chances came. Les Davies found Carl Owen in the box but though
the striker controlled well his shot was wayward. Then the home side almost
paid the penalty when a rare 'Pool break forced Harvey into an excellent
save from a Keegan header following James's corner. Only minutes later an
attempted clearance by Rhys Roberts saw the ball fly towards the Porthmadog
goal and Richard Harvey had to pull off another fine save from a surprising

As the game moved into its final quarter the goal which Porthmadog's second
half performance richly deserved came when Jason Sadler raced in at the far
post to convert Carl Owen's right wing cross. Sadler could well have
returned the complement a minute later when his dummy put Carl Owen clear
but an excellent McGuigan save denied him. A Gareth Caughter curling shot
late on could have made the victory safe but it drifted wide. Welshpool
pushed forward hoping for a late equaliser and forced a couple of corners.
This together with the referee's decision to add five extra minutes caused
some trepidation amongst home supporters but in the end Porthmadog ran out
worthy winners.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Lee Webber, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Gareth Caughter, Ryan Davies, Danny Hughes, Les Davies: Carl Owen,
Jason Sadler.
Subs not used: Richard Hughes, Chris Evans, Kevin Roberts. No Cards.

Welshpool: McGuigan, Cunnah (Johnathan Jones 84') Dowring, Hughes, Brett
Jeffries, Keegan, Watkins, Ross Jeffries, Rogers, Shannon, James.
Sub not used: Butler
Yellow: Rogers 50,B Jeffries 55' , R Jeffries 80', James 88',
Gareth Williams.


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us