CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Gynghrair / The League
Trafod / Discussion
Eilyddion / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Hwlffordd / Haverfordwest (a) | Rhyl [LC] (h) | Prestatyn [WC] (a) | Bangor [LC] (h) | Caernarfon (h) |
| NEWI Cefn Druids (a) | Caernarfon [LC] (a) | TNS (h) | Airbus UK (a) | Bangor City (h) | TNS (a) |

Loosemores League Cup	- Tuesday, November 7th

TNS ... 1		CPD Porthmadog ...2
Duane Courtney 72'	Jason Sadler 30'
		Les Davies 90'

Cup ties are synonymous with shocks and there certainly was one at Treflan
tonight. Les Davies clinched Porthmadog's semi-final place with a 90th 
minute winner. The professional outfit will feel that they dominated the 
game territorially but in fact they created few if any clear cut chances 
and their only goal came from a set piece. This was a well disciplined 
well planned performance by the visitors and when the chances came they 
took them superbly.

TNS opened brightly with good movement and accurate passing to stretch the 
Porthmadog defence. Harris and Wilde put in a couple of early efforts without 
really threatening the visitors' goal. Alfie Carter was the dangerman hugging 
the left touchline and testing the Port defence. 

Gradually Porthmadog weathered the early storm and home keeper Docherty had 
to rush from his goal to keep out Sadler. Port then forced a couple of corners 
which came to nothing but on the half-hour mark the visitors struck on the 
counter attack. Two well judged passes from Kevin Roberts and Danny Hughes put 
Jason Sadler through. The striker raced on outpacing the home defence before 
rounding the keeper and slotting the ball into the empty net for a superb 
opener. For all their fine possession football it was almost half-time before 
the home side really tested Harvey. In the 43rd minute he turned a Wilde effort 
round the post and a minute later saved well from Harris at close range.

The second-half was much as the first with Port only occasionally looking 
stretched. Once Ryan Davies did well to clear Carter's cross and Courtney 
crossed a ball which screamed across the face of goal. A series of TNS corners 
followed and Naylor's 72 minute corner at last opened up the Port rearguard for 
Courtney to head past Harvey and bring the scores level. The anticipated TNS 
onslaught did not materialise. Port showed their intent and on 80 minutes brought 
on Mark Cook as an additional striker. The sub's flicked header created an opening 
for the tireless Les Davies who teed up a superb 87th minute curler which 
thundered against the upright. This did not however prove to be the game's last 
chance for with 90 minutes on the clock Ryan Davies, who was a giant in the Port 
defence, struck a fine long cross field pass for brother Les who cut inside along 
the line of the penalty area before picking his spot and beat Doherty with a low 
accurate finish. 

Porthmadog were through and the celebrations could start! Port were a team of 
heroes who can be proud of the way they executed the pre-match plan.

CPD Porthmadog: R. Harvey, G. Mitchel, R. Davies, R. Roberts, M. Foster, K. Roberts 
(Y. Gwynedd, 75), G. Caughter (M. Cook, 80) , R. Hughes (G. Parry, 66), D. Hughes, 
L. Davies, J. Sadler

Sub not used: C Evans.

TNS: Doherty, Courtney, Stones, Jackson, Holmes, Naylor, Hogan, Harris (Ward, 56), 
Toner, Wilde, Carter.

Subs not used: Baker, Eyo, S. Jones, M. Davies.

Welsh Cup Round 3	-Saturday, November 4th

CPD Porthmadog ... 2	Bangor City ...0
Gareth Parry 54
Rhys Roberts 75

Bangor City's Clayton Blackmore resigned as manager of the club following
Porthmadog's comfortable victory to secure a place in the 4th round of the
Welsh Cup. The home side took some time to turn their domination into goals
but second-half goals resulting from two Chris Evans set pieces gave
Porthmadog the victory which their overall play deserved.

Despite being well in control from the start Porthmadog were once more
guilty of failing to turn early pressure into goals. As early as the third
minute Port could have taken the lead but were unlucky when Danny Hughes's
header struck the foot of the upright with Havard beaten. The keeper soon
after did well to get a hand to a Carl Owen flick which appeared goal bound.
Several Porthmadog long range efforts failed to find the target but midway
through the half twice Havard saved well at his near post to deny first Carl
Owen and then Chris Evans. The visitors were rarely in evidence as an
attacking force their only efforts on goal in the opening half were a long
range effort by Killacky and another just before the interval by Stott who
fired over the bar when well placed. 

After a scoreless opening half the home side came out determined to put
matters right in the second period. Early on a Les Davies thunderbolt was
blocked and then Davies again came near to opening the scoring but his close
range effort was scrambled for a corner. Then nine minutes into the half
came the all important first goal when Gareth Parry fired in from close
range after Ryan Davies headed Chris Evans's far post corner back into the
danger area. It was just that Gareth Parry was the scorer as he was in
outstanding form throughout controlling midfield and his passing was of high

The Bangor response was to force a couple of corners but the solid central
defence of skipper Ryan Davies and Rhys Roberts remained very much in
charge, so much so that the experienced former Porthmadog partnership of
Mark Lloyd Williams and Paul Roberts failed to produce a solitary shot on
target between them during the 90 minutes. Whilst the score remained 1-0
there was always a chance of a Bangor break but after 75 minutes the home
side doubled their lead and once again it came via a Chris Evans corner.
This time it was defender Rhys Roberts who took advantage of a header back
across the face of the goal to score. Though Havard saved Roberts's initial
header the defender was on hand to slide the ball into the net from close

Though Bangor forced a series of corners near the end it was a case of too
little too late for the visitors. Porthmadog were worthy winners in a game
where there was little of the needle and passion associated with games
between the two clubs. Porthmadog will now hope that their cup form will be
carried into the league encounter between the two clubs next Saturday with a
2 pm kick-off because of the presence of S4C cameras.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Danny Hughes Paul Friel (Richard Hughes 90'), Gareth Parry, Chris
Evans (Gareth Caughter 81')): Carl Owen (Jason Sadler 90'), Les Davies.

Bangor: Havard, Blackmore, Beattie Killacky (Neville 77'), Webber, O'Neill,
M.L.Williams, Stott, Paul Roberts, Jacobs, Walsh (McGuiness 68').
Sub not used: Newell.

Referee: Brian Lawlor.  Attendance: 317.

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier     - Saturday, October 28.

Airbus UK ....... 1     CPD Porthmadog ....... 1
Gareth Sudlow 63        Carl Owen 27

On the first look this game would be an easy three points for Port. However,
Airbus have seen a slight improvement in form over recent weeks, with a draw
against Aberystwyth and a victory against Port Talbot. Add to that Port's
inability to perform against lower sides, and we suddenly had a game on our

The game got off to a scrappy start, and continued in the same vein for much
of the 90 minutes. Neither side really managed to get the ball down on the
deck and play good passing football.

Having said that, it was Port who had the lion's share of play during the
opening 45 minutes. But for all their possession, their goal-scoring
opportunities were quite limited during this spell. Richard Harvey was
hardly tested, and I can only recall Port coming close twice in the first

Both these chances fell to Carl Owen. The first coming on 9 minutes when
Owen turned well on the edge of the box, and attempted to lob the keeper.
But, too often, Port were frustrated by some extremely close off-side calls.

The second chance on goal lead to Port's opener on 27 minutes. Owen received
the ball in a central position in front of goal and headed past his marker
into the box before chipping the keeper to put Port in front in fine style.

Porthmadog continued to press for the reminder of the first half, but failed
to create any real clear cut goal scoring opportunities. Chances at the
other end were even more sparse - James Hussaney looking the most dangerous
for the hosts but lacked support up front in the first 45.

As in many other games of late, Port failed to continue the momentum from
the first half, and Airbus took charge after the interval. Gareth Owen and
Darren Williams both came close before the hour mark, and Airbus could have
drawn level but for some wayward shooting.

However, this was only a stay of execution for them. On 63 minutes Airbus
drew level as Gareth Sudlow netted following a scramble after Gareth Owen's
free kick. Three minutes later, Harvey was again called to action to deny
Darren Williams after a Steve Futcher cross.

At this stage, it seemed that Airbus would be the most likely to add to
their score, as they continued to press. Port, on the other hand, continued
to be frustrated by close calls for off-side, and didn't really look like
scoring until the last ten minutes of the game.

During this spell Gareth Parry and sub Kevin Roberts both tested McGee in
the Airbus goal. Then, in the dying minutes of the 90, Carl Owen got an
opportunity to give Port the win. He received the ball in the box but he 
was desperately unlucky to see his shot, which had beaten the keeper, 
being denied by the post.

On the balance of play, I would have to say that a draw was a fair result.
Port had the best of the opening half, but it was the hosts who had looked
the best after the interval.

Things might have been different had some of the off-side shouts had been
given Port's way, but it would have been nice to see Port trying to vary
their attacking options a bit more, rather than relying so much on through
balls, especially after seeing that the linesmen always found in favour of
the defending side.

Even though Airbus have improved over the last few weeks, you still feel
that this was a game that Port should have been looking to win.

Port: R. Harvey, J. G. Jones, R. Roberts, M. Foster, R. Davies, G. Parry (R.
Hughes, D. Hughes (P. Friel), C. Evans (K. Roberts), G. Caughter, L. Davies,
C. Owen.

Sub not used: M. Cooke.

Airbus: A. McGee, R. Edwards, L. Williams, S. Cunby, J. Davies, G. Sudlow,
R. Crawford, G. Owen, D. Williams, J. McIntosh, J. Hussaney.

Subs: C. Mayers, S. Jones, S. Futcher, D Hughes, R. Maloney


Principality Building Society Welsh Premier     - Saturday, October 21st.

CPD Porthmadog ...1	TNS ...2
Les Davies 10'	Michael Wild 57'
		John Toner 82'

After last weekís 3-0 drubbing at the hands of Cefn Druids, the more
pessimistic Porthmadog supporter might have feared the worst from this clash
against the league champions. However, from the outset Port showed that this
wasnít going to be a walkover for the full time professionals. The opening
few minutes saw good pressure from the home side and only 5 minutes had
elapsed when Carl Owen could have put them in front, but Les Daviesís driven
cross from the left was just beyond his reach.

Porthmadog pressure continued and after 9 minutes a good through ball freed
Les Davies who cut through the TNS defence and chipped keeper Gerard
Doherty. Unluckily for Les, his shot crashed against the cross-bar and the
TNS defence managed to clear the rebound. The resultant corner found Ryan
Davies, who headed across the crowded penalty box. Les Davies latched on to
the ball with a thundering volley, Š la Van Basten, which left Doherty with
no chance and left the net bulging!

Following this setback TNS did attempt to get more into the game, however it
was Port who had the next chance. Once again Les Davies was in the thick of
things Ė this time providing the pass which set Garth Parry free in the
opponentsí penalty box, however he couldnít find a way past Doherty.
Amazingly it took until the 27th minute before TNS had their first chance of
match! Steven Beck received the ball from a corner and his shot was well
saved by Richard Harvey who dived down to his left. There then followed a
period of TNS pressure, with both Wild and Beck seeing long range efforts
going wide. John Leah did manage an effort on target 8 minutes before half
time, but his shot was straight at Harvey and caused no problems.

Ken McKenna must have given his players a proper telling off at half time
because TNS came out in the second half and controlled much of the play. The
opening chance of the half came to Leah who, in a repeat of his effort at
the end of the first half shot straight at Harvey. It wasnít all TNS though
and Port did have some chances; Gareth Parryís header after 54 minutes from
a Richard Hughes cross was easy for Doherty. A minute later at the other end
of the pitch, it took a fantastic Ryan Davies tackle to prevent a scoring
opportunity for Alfie Carter. After 57 minutes though no-one could stop Mike
Wild Ė his volley left Richard Harvey with no chance drawing TNS level.

Phil Bakerís deflected effort with 66 minutes on the clock nearly gave TNS
the lead, but the ball spooned just over the bar and minutes later Harvey
had to save from a Carter header. Then, with only 8 minutes left to play,
came the moment that broke Port supportersí hearts. A cross from the left
found substitute Greg Stones, his shot was deflected across the face of the
goal leaving another sub John Toner with the easy job of tapping the ball
into the net. In the last minute Port nearly got back on terms, but Carl
Owenís header from a Richard Hughes cross went just over the bar.

So a game that had started so well finished in defeat for Port. However Viv
and Osian can take a lot of positives from the performance. That they more
than held their own against a professional team surely means that Port can
improve from this poor start to the season. It also shows that the
forthcoming cup ties against Bangor, Llanelli and TNS are by no means beyond
the team.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Richard Hughes, Mike Foster, Rhys Roberts, Ryan
Davies, Paul Friel, Gareth Parry, Danny Hughes, Chris Evans, Carl Owen, Les
Subs: Gareth Caughter, Jason Sadler, Kevin Roberts, Mark Cooke

TNS: Duane Courtney, Phil Baker, Michael Jackson, Tommy Holmes, John Leah,
Scott Ruscoe, Alfie Carter, Michael Wilde, Steven Beck, Nicky Ward.
Subs: John Toner, Greg Stones, Barry Hogan

Emyr Gareth www.cpdporthmadog.com

Loosemores League Cup	-Wednesday, October 18th

Caernarfon ... 1	CPD Porthmadog ...2
Chris Jones 83'	Les Davies 52'
		Jason Sadler 86'

Port booked their place in the next round of the competition, and an away
tie against The New Saints, thanks mainly to another Les Davies wonder goal
early in the second half.

The first period had followed a familiar pattern, with Port having the
lionís share of the possession but failing to make it count in the final
third of the pitch. They came close in the first minute, when Caernarfon
based Jason Sadler forced a save out of Cofiís new keeper Ben Heald.

Port continued to press, with Kevin Roberts and Gareth Caughter making an
impression. Kevin Roberts came close with his head after a corner that
resulted from Sadlerís earlier effort. Roberts and Caugher then combined
well on 26 minutes, and Caughter forced another save out of Heald.

At the other end, Harvey was only really tested once in the first half, when
Paul Carvill found himself clear on the left hand side for the Canaries near
the half way mark in the opening period.

Port continued to huff and puff but had limited success, until the half hour
mark when they had a golden opportunity. Kevin Roberts did well to stop the
ball from going out for a goal kick before crossing into the box. Les Davies
headed it down to Sadler but he failed to make a proper connection with the

Portís other scoring opportunity of note in the first half fell to Gareth
Caughter, whose speculative long range effort dipped at the last minute to
give the Caernarfon keeper another test.

As the half drew to a close you started to fear that Portís inability to
take advantage of their chances would cost them again, especially as
Caernarfon had more of the ball in the final minutes.

Caernarfon were first off the mark after the interval, and managed to keep
possession more successfully than they had in the opening half.

But just as you started to fear that Caernarfon were getting on top came the
moment that changed the match. Les Davies picked up the ball mid way into
the Caernarfon half beating three or four of his opponents before chipping
the ball over the keeper to give Port the lead seven minutes after the
interval. Port continued to press with Kevin Roberts and Les Davies having

The hosts then had a good period of pressure around the 70 minute mark, with
Lee Jones and Mark Thomas coming close to score for them. It took an
excellent save from Richard Harvey to deny Jones. Then with seven minutes on
the clock, Chris Jones, the subject of an approach by Port, shot through a
crowded box for the equaliser. This would have given Caernarfon the point
they needed to proceed to the next round.

In the closing minutes, Port started to press again, and just as you thought
that time had run out, Chris Evans crossed the ball to find an un-marked
Jason Sadler on the right hand side of the box, and he made no mistake as he
shot home to give the lead back to Port with only four minutes to go.

Port managed to hold on to their lead as the ref gave a long period of extra
time. They remain in all cup competitions, but they now need to take their
form in the cups into the league as they face a tough challenge against TNS
on Saturday.

Caernarfon: Heald, I. Owen, Ogilvey, E. Jones, Bamber, Quinn, C. Jones, M.
Thomas, Rowley, Peters Carvill.
Subs: L. Jones, C. Roberts, Maxwell

Porthmadog: Harvey, Mitchell (J. G. Jones), C. Evans, R. Roberts, R. Hughes,
D. Hughes (Gwynedd), Friel, K. Roberts, Sadler, Caughter, L. Davies (Cooke)
Sub not used: C. Owen.

Iwan Gareth.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier     - Friday, October 13th.

NEWI Cefn Druids ...3		CPD Porthmadog ...0
Heverin 42' 45' 61'

Once again Porthmadog were made to pay for failing to turn pressure into
goals in the early part of a game. The first half hour gave no inkling as to
the way in which this game would turn out but an excellent Mike Heverin
hat-trick, which included two goals in three minutes just before half-time,
gave Druids their first league win of the season.

The visitors threatened from the start with Kevin Roberts testing Druids
keeper Edwards early on from a narrow angle and then after 7 minutes the
same player looked to have put Port ahead but his looping header was hooked
off the line. A couple of efforts by Carl Owen and Les Davies came close
before Roberts was again unlucky to see his dipping shot drop just over the
bar. Following a good build -up on the left keeper Edwards did well to block
another Kevin Roberts effort at the expense of a corner.

But Heverin warned the visitors of what could happen when after 20 minutes
he rattled the upright following a corner. Carl Lamb then shot narrowly wide
as gradually the home side got more into the game. Three minutes before
half-time Mike Heverin struck to punish Port for their earlier misses when
he took advantage of a goalmouth scramble to open the scoring. A minute
before the interval and Heverin doubled Druids' lead when he burst on to
Osian Jones' through ball after Lamb had initially opened up the visitors
with a fine cross field ball.

Port attacked from the start of the second half but Gareth Parry fired wide
following a Les Davies lay off. But Druids, with their confidence growing,
took advantage of the slope and the inevitable Heverin drew a good save from
Harvey. Just past the hour mark the striker completed a fine hat-trick and
virtually sealed the victory when he turned well in the box to slot the ball
past Harvey. To their credit Porthmadog continued to look for that elusive
score and Carl Owen in particular threatened. He almost took advantage of a
good Ryan Davies through ball but allowed the angle to narrow before
shooting and Edwards saved easily enough. Twice Owen turned provider first
to set up Les Davies but the forward's shot flew wide of the target and then
he supplied Danny Hughes who miss-hit his volley when well placed. Finally
Jason Sadler burst into the box but failed to get enough power on his shot
due to the close attention of Taylor and Rowlands who performed
uncompromisingly throughout at the heart of the Druids defence.

The Druids will be relieved to secure their first league victory while
Porthmadog will be very concerned as they have picked up only one point out
of six against teams which lay beneath them in the table. This will
certainly set the alarm bells ringing.

Newi Cefn Druids: Edwards, Hunter, Wright, Taylor, Aled Rowlands, Chris
Roberts, Osian Jones, Wayne Phillips, Carl Lamb (Edgar 90'), Mike Heverin,
Steve Watkin. Subs not used: Burns, Carwyn Davies.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Kevin Roberts ( Jason Sadler 58'), Gareth Parry( Gareth Caughter
67'), Danny Hughes, Paul Friel (Richard Hughes 78'): Carl Owen, Les Davies.
Subs not used: Mark Cook.
Referee MA Jones (Gwersyllt) Attendance: 104

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier     - Sunday, October 8th.

CPD Porthmadog ...2		Caernarfon Town ...2
Carl Owen 25           		Chris Jones 6
Kevin Roberts 65		Layton Maxwell 32 (pen.)

Though Porthmadog came back to score a 65th minute equaliser having been 2-1
in arrears at the interval they will hardly be satisfied by a point from a
game which they dominated territorially and in terms of possession.

 The home team were quickly out of the blocks and before three minutes had
elapsed Carl Owen had chipped a shot over the bar and Les Davies, unmarked
in the box, had failed to make contact with an excellent Chris Evans cross.
The early Porthmadog pressure was not however a sign of things to come for
with only six minutes on the clock Caernarfon winger Chris Jones took
advantage of a home defensive muddle. Finding himself totally free on the
right he fired low past Harvey to put the visitors ahead. The visitors'
confidence increased following the score and they forced a couple of corners
and Ryan Davies needed to pull off a good tackle to stop Rowley. But it was
the home side who created the better opportunities. Chris Evans had a shot
deflected for a corner following a good break and Les Davies forced
Caernarfon keeper Pritchard to save at full stretch. It was Les Davies who
created the opening for Porthmadog's 25th minute equaliser breaking down the
right before cutting the ball back for Carl Owen to slot the ball into the

Seven minutes later another Caernarfon counter attack led to their second
goal. Again it was Chris Jones who broke on the right cutting into the box
before taking a tumble in the area from a Ryan Davies tackle. The referee
responded to his assistant's signal pointing to the spot. Layton Maxwell
made no mistake from the spot finding the corner of the net with a powerful
strike. There was still time however for a couple more Porthmadog efforts
before the interval from Carl Owen and Gareth Caughter.

There were a couple of Caernarfon efforts on goal early in the second half a
Lee Jones header from a Carvill cross flew over the bar and later Harvey
saved well from Chris Jones. It was a case then of the first half all over
again but even more so with Porthmadog enjoying long periods of possession
and pressure. Les Davies had a header well saved at the near post by
Pritchard and by now the introduction of Kevin Roberts on the right for the
home team was beginning to have an effect. He provided width, attacking the
Caernarfon defence at pace. In the 65th minute Roberts broke on the right
and his cross field pass found Les Davies who for the second time in the
afternoon cut a ball back into the box this time for the initial supplier
Kevin Roberts to fire low into the net. 

As the home side pushed forward a win seemed likely but despite long periods
of pressure the goal would not come. Gareth Caughter shot narrowly over the
bar and a long distance effort by John Gwynfor looked on its way into the
net but scraped the crossbar. Kevin Roberts was again narrowly off target
from a Jason Sadler cross. Caernarfon still provided a threat on the break
and it needed a good block by Ryan Davies to foil Maloney. But with time
running out Carl Owen went on a strong run down the left but Pritchard dived
at his feet to block his run at the near post.

A home draw was not good news for Porthmadog. They will need to take more of
the chances they are creating if they are not to be drawn into a bottom of
the table battle as the season progresses.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G. Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Richard Hughes: Gareth Caughter (Jason Sadler 74'), Paul Friel (Kevin
Roberts 58'), Gareth Parry, Chris Evans (Danny Hughes 58') Yellow: Ryan
Davies 6'
Caernarfon: Pritchard, Bamber, Ogilvy, Yates, Eifion Jones, Maxwell,
Maloney, Chris Jones, Carvill (Gwyn Peters 70'), Rowley (Craig Roberts 80'),
Lee Jones. Sub not used: Heath, Lloyd. Yellow: Eifion Jones 69'

Attendance 312.   Referee: Kevin Parry 

Gareth Williams www.porthmadogfc.com

Loosemores League Cup	-Tuesday, October 3rd

CPD Porthmadog ... 1	Bangor City ...2
Mark Cook 88	Kyle Jacobs 65,71

Two goals in the space of six minutes in the second-half by the former
Macclesfield Town player Kyle Jacobs gave Bangor City the victory which
their greater second-half enterprise earned them. This came after a
first-half where Porthmadog, though looking the stronger of the two teams
and the more likely to get on the scoresheet, failed to turn possession into

The first half was a quieter affair than usual meetings between these two
Gwynedd rivals. The visitors had the first effort on goal after five minutes
when Wilson headed Walsh's far post corner over the bar. But for the
remainder of the opening half Bangor were restricted to long range efforts
with the home team making most of the running. Carl Owen came close from a
couple of half chances after good build up play. Owen again almost took
advantage of a mix up between Docker and keeper Havard but the visitors
managed to scramble the ball away. Late in the half Bangor threatened with
Harvey saving well at his far post to keep out a powerful long range effort
from McGuiness. Ryan Davies also did well to shepherd Paul Roberts away from
goal after the ball had been given away in on the edge of the box.

The second period started much as the first with Porthmadog forcing the pace
and winning several corners. The closest they came to opening the score was
when Les Davies chipped over the bar. However they failed to retain their
grip on the game as Bangor spread the ball wide, especially after Sion
Edwards was introduced, using their pace to test the Porthmadog defence.
With the game past the hour mark Jacobs was allowed room to run at the home
defence and from 20 yards unleashed a powerful shot which ended in the far
corner of the net giving Harvey no chance. Much of the home play was now
untidy with the ball being given away far too often. Clayton Blackmore, who
came on as substitute keeper in the second half, was not given his first
test until the 69th minute when he comfortably held a Les Davies free-kick.
A minute later and Port could have drawn level as Blackmore, this time, was
relieved to see Carl Owen's shot strike the foot of the upright. In the 71st
minute Bangor doubled their lead as the usually reliable Harvey could only
parry a speculative long distance effort by Kyle Jacobs into the net.

This second goal spurred the home side to increase their efforts and Gareth
Parry's shot, after a good run by Les Davies, was blocked for a corner.
Blackmore pulled off a good save to keep out a Les Davies header but it was
left to late substitute Mark Cook to score Porthmadog's consolation with
only two minutes left. Cook picked up the through ball held off a defender
and coolly slid the ball past Blackmore for his first senior goal. In injury
time Port had one more opportunity to draw level but Blackmore kept out a
Barry Jones drive.

This was a disappointing second half performance by Porthmadog and this cost
them the game. After a run of four games without defeat the old
inconsistency returned to haunt them. Their game lacked width as they
persisted in trying to break through the middle of a Bangor defence well
marshalled by Adam Docker. 

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Richard
Hughes (Barry Jones 75'): Gareth Caughter (Kevin Roberts 72), Paul Friel
(Mark Cook 75), Gareth Parry, Chris Evans: Carl Owen, Les Davies.

Bangor City: Ian Havard (Clayton Blackmore 45), Anthony Wilson, Peter Jones,
James Marsden (Sion Edwards 46), Adam Docker, Jon Newell, Mel McGuiness (ML
Williams 61'), Ashley Stott, Paul Roberts, Kyle Jacobs Mike Walsh.

Attendance: 299.  Referee: Brian Lawlor(Holyhead)

Gareth Williams www.porthmadogfc.com

Welsh Cup Round 2	-Saturday September 30th

Prestatyn Town ...2	CPD Porthmadog ...4
Fisher Cooke 57	Gareth Caughter 47,63.
Steve Bowes 59	Carl Owen 72
		Mike Foster 79 (pen)

Despite the two goal margin at the end Porthmadog didn't gain entry to the
3rd round without some discomfort. After spurning numerous chances in the
opening half they found themselves a goal behind against the Cymru Alliance
newcomers at the hour mark. Two goals within two minutes by the home side
had made a shock result more than a possibility. The WPL side however kept
their cool to run out deserved winners at the end.

Porthmadog enjoyed the majority of the possession in the opening half and
created a catalogue of chances which they then proceeded to waste. In the
tenth minute Paul Friel struck the ball cleanly from the edge of the box
only to see the ball thudding off the bar to safety. Carl Owen and Les
Davies had shots deflected for corners and a powerful shot on the turn also
by Les Davies, was well saved by keeper John Dunt diving to his left. Carl
Owen twice headed over the bar at corners and the same player sent a shot
into the side netting from a narrow angle. The best chance of all came after
a good 38th minute build up on the left involving Gareth Caughter and Les
Davies which created a clear chance for Gareth Parry but the midfielder shot
wide from 10 yards. During one rare home attack Ryan Davies, under pressure,
headed a Fisher Cooke shot behind for a corner. But as the half drew to a
close it was Carl Owen again who threatened and keeper Dunt needed a second
attempt to hold his powerful shot. 

If the first half was scoreless the second half made up for this with 6
goals. The visitors were quickly out of the blocks and scored within two
minutes of the resumption. Chris Evans sent a perfectly weighted ball into
Gareth Caughter's path and with a perfect first touch the forward broke into
the box beating Dunt from close range. This should have steadied the
Porthmadog nerves but instead the goal seemed to lift the home side and
within 10 minutes Prestatyn were back on level terms when Fisher Cooke took
advantage of some defensive hesitation to lift a fine 20 yard shot beyond
Harvey in the Porthmadog goal. Two minutes later and the home team delighted
their supporters by going ahead. Bowes found space in the box after a build
up on the left and beat Harvey with a low shot from 10 yards.

The lead only lasted for four minutes before Chris Evans and Gareth Caughter
once again combined to create a goal. Caughter found space at the far post
to convert Evans' deep cross. In the 72nd minute Gareth Caughter turned
provider and Carl Owen restored Port's lead with a well placed finish. The
visitors finally booked their place in the next round after Carl Owen had
been brought down in the box by Fuller with the goal at his mercy. Mike
Foster stepped to score from the spot.

It was a case of all's well that ends well and a pleasing double for Gareth

Prestatyn: Dunt, Chris Evans, Jack Lewis, Fuller(Peter Jenkins 86'), Duffy,
Parker, Fisher-Cooke, Peter Evans, Milne, Wellburn( Steve Harris 71'),
Bowes. Sub not used: Craig Griffiths. Yellow: Dale Milne 69'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster(Richard Hughes 82'): Gareth Caughter(Kevin Roberts 83'), Gareth
Parry, Paul Friel, Chris Evans: Carl Owen(Jason Sadler 82'), Les Davies.

Gareth Williams www.porthmadogfc.com 

Loosemore's League Cup	-Tuesday, September 26th

CPD Porthmadog ...0	Rhyl FC ...0

A Porthmadog team containing several young and inexperienced players
justified the faith of their managers holding their own against a virtually
full strength Rhyl side. This was the third occasion that the two sides have
met during September but this time there was no 86th minute goal to get the
visitors out of gaol. 

The first strike on goal came after 12 minutes of midfield skirmishing when
Porthmadog's Paul Friel found space to test keeper John Gann with a low shot
from 18 yards. With both sides building from the back there was plenty to
admire in the play though 19 minutes had gone before Rhyl had their first
real strike on goal when Clampitt fired a low shot from the edge of the box,
narrowly missing the target. Four minutes later young Porthmadog reserve
striker Mark Cook showed plenty of confidence running on to a through ball,
firing just wide of the angle from 20 yards. Just after the half hour mark
Richard Harvey pulled off a fine save to deny Rhyl when Hay fired through a
crowded box. But the best chance to open the scoring came when young Cook
took advantage of a deflection to break into the box but Gann was quickly
out and the lob bounded narrowly past the upright. An even opening half
ended scoreless.

Rhyl probably edged the second half in terms of possession and it was they
who were first on the attack with Murtagh breaking well on the right but
sending his shot over the bar. Near the hour mark Ryan Davies -on for Rhys
Roberts in the second half- almost caught out the Rhyl defence to take
advantage of a quickly taken free-kick, but his header looped over the bar.
Connolly, for Rhyl, failed to repeat his free-kick success at Belle Vue, his
68th minute effort curled wide of the post from 20 yards. Connolly was soon
in the action again but his low shot flew across the face of the goal.
Porthmadog were still very much in the game with Friel and Gareth Parry in
excellent form testing the visitors defence with probing passes. Following a
Gareth Caughter free kick Gann had to save under pressure from Richard

Rhyl upped the pressure in the closing minutes and Porthmadog can thank
their keeper Richard Harvey for a couple of excellent saves. In the 82nd
minute he dived low at his near post to keep out another Connolly effort.
Moran was first to the rebound but blazed over the bar. Three minutes later
and Harvey made an even better save when it seemed that Moran, having been
put through in space by Wilson, had to score. But Harvey threw himself low
to his left to deny the prolific scorer. Les Davies had a last chance to win
it for Porthmadog in the 86th minute but his 25 yard free kick dipped over
the bar.

There was an excellent debut by Barry Jones from Bodedern -not putting a
foot wrong- and also excellent first starts of the season by reserves Iwan
Williams and Mark Cooke.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey; Barry Jones, Richard Hughes, Rhys Roberts (Ryan
Davies 45'), Mike Foster (John G Jones 72'): Paul Friel, Gareth Caughter,
Gareth Parry, Iwan Williams: Mark Cook (Carl Owen 76'), Les Davies.
Subs not used: Iestyn Woolaway, Arwel Evans. Yellow: Mark Cook 62', Les
Davies 77'

Rhyl: Gann: Connolly, Graves (Moody 55'), Clampitt, Horan, Timmy Edwards,
Hay, Moran, Cameron (Owen 76'), Murtagh, Wilson.
Sub not used: Mark Powell.  Yellow: Wilson 77'     Referee: A P Harris.

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday September 23rd

Haverfordwest County ... 1	CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Chris Miller 11'			Carl Owen 63'

This was an absorbing end to end contest, so full of attacking play that it
was surprising that it only produced one goal in each half. Both sides will
feel that they might have taken all three points, the home side will point
to some lengthy periods of pressure on the Porthmadog goal in the second
half while the visitors will consider that it was they who produced more
clear chances on goal. All of which means that a draw was probably a fair
result on the day.

Porthmadog carved out the early chances with Carl Owen's header testing out
Kendall and then Les Davies was in the action on a couple of occasions one
of these bringing a diving save from Kendall. The home side were quick to
retaliate and soon after Wayne Jones was guilty of wasting a good
opportunity firing over the bar following a deep cross. Haverfordwest were
playing with plenty of width and this produced an early goal when Miller got
his head to Hudgell's cross scoring off the post after 11 minutes. Referee
Mark Whitby needed the assistant's confirmation that the ball had indeed
crossed the line. The home side continued to press with much of the danger
coming from Hudgell and O'Sullivan and Ryan Davies did well to clear one low
cross from Hudgell at the expense of a corner. 

Midway through the half came a period of intense Porthmadog pressure which
started when Danny Hughes broke from midfield and Kendall had to be at his
best to turn the shot round the post. Porthmadog then forced four corners in
quick succession but though O'Sullivan sliced a clearance on to the roof of
the net there was still no end product. Another Les Davies run, breaking
through two tackles with the referee waving play on, ended with a screamer
across the face of goal. But Richard Harvey also needed to keep his
concentration as the home side counter attacked and he saved well near post
from danger man Hudgell. The half ended with a Les Davies shot being cleared
off the line and the visitors could count themselves unfortunate to be
behind at the interval.

Soon after the break Harvey had to save from Hudgell following a run into
the box and this was followed by a long range effort by Harris which flew
over the bar. But Porthmadog were not out of the game and just after the
hour a mark came the deserved equaliser with Les Davies cutting past two
defenders before sending a deep cross for Carl Owen to beat Kendall with a
neat header at the far post. The Bluebirds pushed forward now in the hope of
regaining the lead and record their first league win of the season but
though they enjoyed much of the possession they found Ryan Davies and Rhys
Roberts once again in outstanding form and equal to the aerial bombardment
thrown at them. On one occasion new skipper Ryan Davies had to clear over
his own bar and there were one or two penalty area scrambles but in the main
the home side for all their possession were restricted to shooting from long
range as they failed to create many clear chances. 

This proved to be a very entertaining game which any neutral would have
thoroughly enjoyed. Porthmadog can be pleased with their away point whilst
Haverfordwest are left still searching for that elusive first win.

Haverfordwest: Kendall, Brace, Wayne Jones (Tim Hicks 77'), Elliott, Rob
Jones, Richie Adams, O'Sullivan, Palmer, Miller, Adie Harris, Hudgell.
Subs not used: Cattlin, Heal. Yellow; Adie Harris 36'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Richard
Hughes: Danny Hughes, Gareth Parry, Paul Friel, Chris Evans (Gareth Caughter
81'): Carl Owen, Les Davies.
Subs not used: Mike Foster, Iwan Williams. Yellow Ryan Davies 79'

Attendance 203  Referee: Mark Whitby

Gareth Williams www.porthmadogfc.com


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us