CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Gynghrair / The League
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Y Drenewydd / Newtown (a) | TNS (h) | Caernarfon (a) | NEWI Derwyddon Cefn Druids (h) |
| Caerfyrddin / Carmarthen (a) | TNS (a) | Airbus UK (h) | Bangor (a) |
Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier -Friday, March 23rd

Bangor City ... 2		CPD Porthmadog ...1
Killacky 15'			Carl Jones 45'
Smythe 91'

This was an exciting end to end contest which unfortunately turned on a
refereeing decision by Maldwyn Williams who has been no stranger to
controversy during this season. His decision to issue a straight red card to
Rhys Roberts reduced Porthmadog to 10 men in the 66th minute leaving most
players and supporters completely mystified. Though they more than held
their own for most of that period, in the 91st minute the Port defence was
finally stretched and exposed by the direct running of Smythe. The winger
cut into the box and unleashed a fine shot which gave Richard Harvey no
chance and gave the home side more than they deserved out of the game. 

Though Porthmadog had most of the early play it was Bangor who took the lead
after 15' when Killacky picked up a loose defensive header and unleashed a
powerful shot which thundered past Richard Harvey into the corner of the
net.  Port continued to enjoy the greater possession and territorial
advantage but Bangor looked dangerous on the break with some quick passing
putting the visitors defence under pressure. The Bangor midfield were also
prepared to shoot from distance and that with some effect. In addition to
Killacky's effort Harvey had to be alert to divert a swerving 20 yarder from
Stott round the post and Stott again went close from a similar distance.
Port were never out of the hunt though with Carl Owen having a shot blocked
following good work by Carl Jones and then Les Davies was unlucky to see his
15 yard shot go across the face of Havard's goal. With the first half
drawing to a close a good build up involving Aled Rowlands and Les Davies
created an opening for Carl Owen but a last ditch tackle by Webber saved the
home side. There was still time however for the best of the three excellent
goals when Carl Jones burst past two defenders down the right before jinking
his way past two more in the box before planting the ball in the top corner
with a superb finish.

Early in the second period Harvey had to dive low to keep out Mark Lloyd
Williams and at the other Les Davies burst into the box but his powerful shot
was blocked for a corner. Then after 66 minutes came the referee's, hotly
debated decision to red card Rhys Roberts after Aled Rowlands was adjudged 
to have brought down Smythe near the bye-line, inside the box. Richard Harvey
diving to hisleft pulled off a fine save to deny Marc Lloyd Williams from the 
spot.Despite being down to ten men Port took the game to Bangor with the home
side having to survive a couple of swinging Blackmore free kicks as pressure
mounted and another from Carl Jones was punched over by Havard from under
his cross bar. On a rare Bangor break Harvey touched Cadwallader's low shot
past the post. Les Davies thunderous 86th minute shot looked goal bound but
a deflection sent it rattling against the outside of the upright. Then in
injury time came Smythe's goal which sent the home fans home happy but left
the visitors in the circumstances something more than disappointed. 

Bangor: Havard, Jacobs, Killacky (Cadwallader 75'), Foy, Webber, O'Neill, M L
Williams, Stott, Adaggio (Sion Edwards 75'), Walsh, Smythe.
Subs not used: Beattie, McGuiness.
Yellow: Stott 66', Edwards 89'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Aled Rowlands (Danny Hughes 69'), Gareth Caughter, Clayton
Blackmore, Carl Jones: Carl Owen (Mark Orlik 81'), Les Davies.
Sub not used: Richard Hughes.
Red: Rhys Roberts. Yellow: Ryan Davies, Les Davies. 

Referee: Maldwyn Williams. Attendance: 562

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, March 17th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Airbus UK ... 1
G. Caughter 68'		M. Allen 3'

Porthmadog recorded their 10th drawn game of the season showing clearly why
they continue to surprise so many by remaining down in eleventh spot in the
table. The score line was a repeat of the encounter between the two clubs at
The Airfield and a result that will please Gareth Owen far more than it will
Viv and Osian.

Airbus got off to a flying start and went ahead after only three minutes
when Mark Allen was again amongst the goals, lobbing Dave Hughes's right
wing cross over Richard Harvey, who had advanced from his goal in an effort
to cut out the cross. This lead lasted until the 68' when Gareth Caughter
levelled the scores. After opening the scoring, Airbus continued to make the
early running but Connolly screwed a shot wide of the upright, following
Gareth Owen's corner. Having weathered a series of early attacks Porthmadog
gradually steadied themselves and after 18' Carl Jones ran at the visitors'
defence before crossing well but Carl Owen's header was off target. A couple
of minutes later Mike Foster released Owen but Aled Rowlands at the far post
failed to capitalise on the striker's cross. Port continued to threaten as
Gareth Caughter lobbed on to the roof of the net and Les Davies twice fired
wide from the edge of the box. But the home team could have found themselves
two behind after 33' when James McIntosh almost scored, what would have
been, an outrageous goal from near the half way mark. He spotted Harvey off
his line and lifted a high lob goal wards but just when it looked as though
it would find the net a final bounce took it over the bar! Airbus retained
their goal advantage at the interval.

Porthmadog should have drawn level six minutes into the second period when a
low through ball put Carl Owen clear. The striker looked certain to score
but as he lifted the ball over keeper McGhee he also managed to loft it over
the bar. A minute later McGhee was in action again saving bravely at Owen's
feet. It was one way traffic as the home team dominated the possession
though Harvey needed to be alert to keep out a McIntosh header. Clayton
Blackmore fired over the bar after a good build up and Les Davies had a shot
deflected over the cross bar. Eventually the equaliser came and it was
Gareth Caughter who flicked Clayton Blackmore's 69th minute corner past
McGhee. Porthmadog continued to pile on the pressure and it looked certain
that the winner would come. McGhee kept out Richard Hughes's header at the
expense of a corner. Airbus held out defiantly as Port forced a series of
corners on both flanks and one Clayton Blackmore corner close to the end
screamed across the face of the goal but no one could apply the finishing

This game, in many ways, sums up Porthmadog's season in the league where
despite all the possession and territorial advantage they have failed to
apply the finishing touch and teams who are below them in the league have
been able to sneak a share of the points. There were however some good
individual performances with Carl Jones again showing what a promising
player he is and it was also good to see Danny Hughes getting back to
fitness and playing such a constructive role on the right in the second
half. Airbus confirmed the recent progress they have made by using a simple
plan and sticking to it. 

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones (Danny Hughes 46'), Ryan Davies,
Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster: Aled Rowlands (Richard Hughes 64'), Gareth
Caughter, Clayton Blackmore, Carl Jones: Carl Owen, Les Davies (Jason Sadler

Airbus: McGhee, Ryan Edwards, Connolly, Leigh Williams, Mark Allen, John
Davies, Dave Hughes (Adam Hunter 80'), Gareth Owen, Darren Williams,
McIntosh, Hopkins. 
Subs not used: Gareth Sudlow, Neil Wynne. 
Yellow: Mark Allen 22', Gareth Owen 86'. 

Referee: Kevin Parry (Llanfairpwll)		Attendance: 162

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, March 10th

TNS ...3		CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Michael Wilde 57'
Carl Lamb 83' 90'

At the fifth time of asking the New Saints finally established domination
over the team who have proved something of a bogey side for them this
season. But behind a comfortable score line lies the story of another tough
battle between the patient passing game of the champions and the well
organised Porthmadog rearguard. After a goalless first half, when despite
their domination territorially, TNS once again struggled to break down a
team which closed down quickly and defended from the front.

The turning point in this game came in the early part of the second half
when Porthmadog, who had been penned in their own half throughout the
opening half, broke down the left after 53' and Carl Jones cut inside past
two defenders before squaring the ball to Gareth Caughter whose goal bound
shot was tipped on to the bar by Doherty and then cleared for a corner. Only
three minutes later TNS broke upfield and forced a corner on the right.
King's corner to the far post was touched back into the goal mouth where it
was forced past Richard Harvey into the net by Michael Wilde. This quick
change round in fortunes meant that the visitors were forced to play a more
open game and twice in the last seven minutes Porthmadog were caught
stretched on the counter attack and speedy sub Lamb scored twice.

With the wind on their backs TNS looked a set for an early goal as the
reorganised Porthmadog defence, minus an injured Ryan Davies, tried to
establish understanding. King fired over the bar in the 1st minute and
Carter almost capitalised on an error by Richard Hughes but Harvey was down
well to keep him out. In the 11th minute Harvey pulled off another good save
this time from Wilde following a good build up on the right. Though the full
timers continued to pressurise the Port rearguard were getting their act
together and looking more comfortable. Carter then switched the direction of
attack cleverly but Wood's shot was wide and Carter himself was later foiled
by another good Harvey save. The half ended with Porthmadog, despite not
troubling Doherty at all, feeling that they had restricted the champions to
relatively few clear chances and indeed most of the shots had been from long

Once TNS had gone ahead after 57 minutes play became fairly even with
neither side creating many chances. Wilde shot well wide from 25 yards and
in fact Port were now taking the game to TNS. The introduction of Les Davies
brought fresh energy to the Port attack and following a good break he fed
Danny Hughes whose shot was well blocked by Baker. But unlike previous
encounters Porthmadog on this occasion were unable to take advantage of set
piece opportunities. On 83 minutes a good long ball out of defence from King 
and Carl Lamb, who had been introduced for just such an opportunity, outpaced 
the Port defence and netted with a low shot from 15 yards. Then in the last
minute of the game Wilde broke on the right committed defenders before
slipping the ball to the unmarked Lamb who placed his low drive wide of

A patient TNS deserved the three points, striking and taking their chances
when they came but Port will feel that the two late goals gave the score
line a more emphatic look than their efforts over the 90' deserved.

TNS: Doherty, Baker King (Gonzalez 85'), Jackson, Holmes, Leah, Ruscoe,
Carter (Lamb 66'), Toner (Hogan 77'), Wilde, Wood.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones (Geraint Mitchell 84'), Richard
Hughes, Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster: Aled Rowlands, Gareth Caughter (Danny
Hughes 70'), Clayton Blackmore, Carl Jones: Carl Owen, Jason Sadler (Les
Davies 70')

Referee: Andrew Harms	Attendance: 278

Gareth Williams   

Welsh Cup Quarter Finals	Saturday, March 3rd

Carmarthen Town ... 1	CPD Porthmadog ... 1 (AET)
Kris Thomas 11		Les Davies 72'
(Carmarthen won 4-3 on penalties)

It was a case of so near and yet so far for Porthmadog as the place in the
semi-finals was decided in a penalty shoot out -which might not be
surprising as that was how both sides had gained entry to this stage. The
penalty shoot out was a tense affair which was decided in the sudden death
stage on the eighth round of spot kicks. Before this there had been some bad 
misses by both sides and also excellent saves, by both Richard Harvey and the
Carmarthen keeper Neil Thomas, with Paul Fowler's shot settling the match.

 During the game itself the home team was first to strike, after a quiet
opening by both sides. In the 11'Kris Thomas's low free kick, from 25 yards, 
bounced in front of Richard Harvey and slithered under his body on
its way into the net. After this early setback Carmarthen seemed to sit back
and gradually the visitors got themselves back into the game. Gareth
Caughter, who was doing well in an unaccustomed central midfield role, won
the ball 20 yards out and slipped a perfectly weighted pass into the path of
Carl Owen but as the striker was about to apply the finishing touch Terry Evans
intervened with a well timed tackle. Les Davies then fired straight
at Neil Thomas and later Carl Owen broke well on the right before firing his
shot across the face of goal. The home side did not manage another shot at
goal until Fowler fired a long range effort past the post after 40' had

Porthmadog continued to have more of the game after the interval and then
after 58' came an action which could have changed the game when Sacha
Walters was shown a straight red card by referee Kerry Morgan for stamping.
Porthmadog for a time seized the initiative and continued to rule
territorially but without creating any clear chances until the 72' when they
deservedly drew level. Carl Jones found room at the far post to fire a low
ball back across the face of the Carmarthen goal and Les Davies, racing in,
forced the ball into the net. The goal appeared to spur on the 10 man home
team more than the visitors, for with their lead now gone they threw more
effort into attack and for the rest of the 90' looked the more likely to
score. Mattie Davies, soon after coming on, forced Richard Harvey into make
an excellent save from 18 yards and in the 85th minute John Gwynfor somehow
managed to clear off his line from the same player. Again with a minute left
the busy Mattie Davies forced Harvey into another fine save at his near

Four minutes into extra time and it looked curtains for Porthmadog as
Richard Harvey received a yellow card for a last ditch tackle bringing down 
Mattie Davies just inside the penalty box. The referee pointed to the spot but 
Nathan Cotterall struck the penalty against the upright. Harvey was again in 
the action saving from the inevitable Mattie Davies and also did well to keep 
out Hancock's header.The nearest Port came to scoring was when Neil Thomas was 
forced to turn a curling Mike Foster free-kick over his cross bar. The second 
period of extra time was tense and exciting. Ryan Davies headed down a Mike 
Foster free kick but brother Les put his shot over the bar and in the dying 
seconds Ryan Davies, twice a scorer against TNS, this time rose to head Carl 
Jones's corner the wrong side of the upright.

Time was up and it was the ultimate disappointment, after the euphoria of
the TNS victory, to go out in the cruellest way. Overall it must be said, in
a game of few clear cut chances, that the home side deserved the victory
having more than stuck to their task when down to 10 men. Yet, even to the
end in a nail biting penalty finish, Porthmadog still had the opportunity to
clinch the victory. But it was not to be.

Carmarthen: Neil Thomas, Terry Evans (Loss 120'), Keddle, Walters, Dodds
(Hancock 90'), Kris Thomas, Danny Thomas, Ramasut, Fowler, Mohammed (Mattie
Davies 68'), Cotterall. Red: Sacha Walters 58', Yellow: Paul Keddle 104'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Marcus Orlik (Carl Jones 46'), Gareth Caughter, Richard Hughes, Aled
Rowlands: Carl Owen, Les Davies (Jason Sadler 91')
Sub not used: Geraint Mitchell. Yellow: Mike Foster 47', Les Davies 104'. 

Referee: Kerry Morgan	Attendance 226

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, February 24th

CPD Porthmadog ... 3	NEWI Cefn Druids ... 0
Les Davies 7'
Ryan Davies 25'
Clayton Blackmore 48'

Porthmadog dominated this game from the start and this time capitalised on
an early goal to run out clear winners against a team who are similarly
placed in the table. From the moment Les Davies opened the scoring after
just 7' a home victory was on the cards. The strong front man made a lateral
run brushing off a couple of tackles to create an opening for himself and
fired low from 20 yards just inside Carl Edwards's right hand post. Soon
after Aled Rowlands, showing that he is regaining fitness, put Davies
through again but Edwards raced out of his goal to make a good block.

Porthmadog went further ahead on 25' when brother Ryan rose well to convert
a Clayton Blackmore corner sending his looping header beyond Edwards's
reach. This was no more than the home side deserved as they controlled the
game territorially and created a number of chances with some good passing
moves. A third could have come after 34' when Gareth Caughter met a Les
Davies cross but was unfortunate to see his header fly narrowly wide. A
minute later Davies got to the bye-line but keeper Edwards did well to cut
out his low cross. Just before the interval Ryan Davies could have scored
again from a corner but his low shot was held in the mud and Edwards again
saved well.

Druids were rarely a threat in the opening period but Heverin, who scored a
hat trick in the game at Plas Kynaston, was wayward on one occasion and near
the end of the half Harvey pulled off a good save to deny him when he put in
a low shot from 15 yards.Druids only other effort on goal came from Osian
Jones whose 25 yard effort was straight at Richard Harvey.

Three minutes into the second-half Ryan Davies fed Clayton Blackmore on the
edge of the penalty area and the former Welsh international chipped a fine
15 yard shot well beyond reach of the keeper to virtually seal the victory
for the home team. Porthmadog now upped the pace and it took some good
defensive work to keep out Gareth Caughter and then Carl Owen and keeper
Edwards at full stretch kept out a Rowlands cracker, at the expense of a
corner. Carl Owen, a constant threat to the visitors, controlled a long ball
out of defence but fired his shot into the side netting. With Port failing
to add to the score the visitors did come more into the game and forced
several corners and from one of these Timmy Edwards rose well but his header
went over the bar. Apart from this a long range effort by Wayne Phillips was
the only test for Richard Harvey as the Druids went in search of a

Late on there were a couple of speedy runs by young sub Carl Jones which
further stretched the Druids defence and threatened to produce a fourth
goal. The other sub Jason Sadler also created a late chance but Gareth
Caughter's finish was wide.

With the cup game next Saturday in mind this was an encouraging all-round
performance though Carmarthen at Richmond Park will no doubt provide a
different challenge.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Gareth Caughter, Richard Hughes (Carl Jones 70'), Clayton Blackmore
(Kevin Roberts 84'), Aled Rowlands: Carl Owen (Jason Sadler 74'), Les

Cefn Druids: Carl Edwards, Aled Rowlands, Wright, Wayne Phillips, Tim
Edwards, Taylor, Osian Jones, Holme, Heverin, Watkin, Iniabere.
Sub: Mullock. Yellow: Timmy Edwards 27', Steve Watkin 59' 

Referee: Mark Whitby.	Attendance: 167

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, February 17th

Caernarfon Town ... 2	CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Gwyn Peters 31'		Carl Owen 1', 40'
Layton Maxwell 76'(pen)

Once again Porthmadog paid the price for failing to kill off a game when
they had plenty of clear cut chances to do so. Caernarfon were let off the
hook but to their credit the home team battled away and thanks to a 71'
penalty gained a share of the points. Porthmadog continue to clock up too
many draws and their record of not managing a win over any of the teams
below them in the league this season, apart from Caersws, remains.

The visitors could not have wished for a better start as Carl Owen found the
net after only 14 seconds. The experienced striker blocked a clearance
before cutting inside the box and driving well across keeper Paul Pritchard
into the far corner of the net. Port failed to capitalise on this fine start
and it was the home side who came close on a couple of occasions with Layton
Maxwell imposing himself in midfield. Peters headed Chris Jones's free kick
wide of the target and soon after James Thomas floated a ball over Richard
Harvey but again it drifted past the post. At the other end Gareth Parry had
a shot blocked on the line and Carl Owen volleyed Les Davies's deep cross
wide. But just after the half hour mark Chris Jones, who had been a threat
down the right for the home team, crossed well and Gwyn Peters with a
brilliant turn fired a fine shot past Harvey to level the scores.

The score forced Porthmadog to raise their game and Jason Sadler lifted a
long range effort over the bar before Gareth Parry shot wide when well
placed. The Caernarfon goal was now leading a charmed life as pressure
mounted as first Clayton Blackmore clipped Gareth Caughter's cross over the
bar and Jason Sadler had his shot, from a narrow angle, turned into the side
netting. With 40 minutes gone Les Davies's cross was deflected into the path
of Carl Owen and the striker controlled well before turning and placing his
shot beyond Pritchard to restore Port's advantage. Almost immediately the
home defence found themselves at sixes and sevens as both Les Davies and
Clayton Blackmore had goal bound shots blocked. Port held a goal advantage
at the interval.

In the five minutes after the interval Porthmadog should have sewn the game
up. In the 48th minute Carl Owen was pushed in the box and the referee
immediately pointed to the spot. Up stepped the reliable Mike Foster but
Paul Pritchard pulled off a fine save near his right hand post. Even then
Port still had the opportunity to score but the rebound was forced wide of
the upright when scoring seemed to be the easier option. Only two minutes
later Jason Sadler split open the home defence with a fine angled pass
putting Carl Owen through but the striker this time took the ball wide and
his shot struck the side netting. Pressure continued with little let up and
following a 69' Clayton Blackmore corner the ball ran free for Gareth Parry
whose powerful strike hit the inside of the post and somehow bounced across
goal to safety. Les Davies on 71' broke free down the right and cut inside
before unleashing a fierce shot which Pritchard did well to keep out with
his legs.

After surviving this pressure Caernarfon broke away and worked the ball left
where Addow on the edge of the box was brought down by Ryan Davies. The
referee adjudged that the offence had taken place inside the box and Layton
Maxwell made no mistake from the spot. With the scores level the game became
stretched with the home team scenting victory having been under the cosh for
so long and Port were in no mood to see yet another two points slip away.
But despite the end to end play of the last ten minutes both sides had to
settle for a draw.

Caernarfon: Pritchard, Newell, James Thomas (Rowley 75'), Eifion Jones,
Glendenning, Mark Thomas (Gerard Maloney 82'), Quinn, Maxwell, Addow,
Peters, Chris Jones (Mark Harris 90').
Yellow: Les Davies 21', Ryan Davies 26', Gareth Parry 42'

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Gareth Caughter (Richard Hughes 86'), Gareth Parry, Clayton
Blackmore, Les Davies (Marcus Orlik 76'): Carl Owen, Jason Sadler (Carl
Jones 67')  
Yellow Layton Maxwell 81'

Referee: John Roberts (Llanllyfni)		Attendance: 307

Gareth Williams

Welsh Cup Round 4        - Saturday, Feburary 3rd

CPD Porthmadog... 2	TNS...2 (aet)
Ryan Davies 33', 81'	John Toner 28'
				Greg Stones 42'
(Porthmadog go through 3-2 on penalties)

It might have taken a penalty shoot out to decide entry into the
quarter-finals of the Welsh Cup but Porthmadog can justifiably feel that end
result was a fair one. The home team had to come from behind twice and
thanks to two set piece headers by skipper Ryan Davies they still remained
on level terms with the professional outfit at the end of extra-time. 

TNS were the stronger team in the opening half and deserved their interval
lead but during the second period and through extra-time it was Porthmadog
who were forcing the pace and creating the better chances. The early play
was end to end with Carl Owen and Jason Sadler threatening for the home side
but the first real scoring opportunity did not materialise until the 25'
when Greg Stones failed to take advantage of a ball in from the left. This
proved to be short lived relief for the home side as Greg Stones broke free
down the left to find John Toner in the box and the striker, who has been in
such deadly form recently, fired a beauty into the corner of the net from 15
yards. The lead only last for 5' before Ryan Davies rose well in the box to
head Mike Foster's curling free-kick well wide of Doherty in the TNS goal.
Play was still end to end and when Jason Sadler robbed King he was unlucky
to see his shot clear the cross bar. But with half-time approaching a cross
from the left by Prodger caught the home defence in a rare dither and this
time Stones made no mistake to put TNS 2-1 up at the interval.

When Richard Harvey was forced into an excellent save to keep out Stones the
home supporters feared the worse. But gradually the home side began to take
more of a grip on the game and each set piece seemed to create a panic in
the TNS rearguard. Richard Hughes's header from Aled Rowlands' corner flew
narrowly wide and Marcus Orlik, who was creating quite an impression on his
debut, lobbed over the keeper and was only denied by a last ditch tackled by
Jackson. Soon after Harvey had saved well again, this time from Mark Davies,
Gareth Parry was unlucky to see his 30 yard effort drop on to the roof of
the net. Rhys Roberts had a shot cleared off the line by Leah following yet
another corner. Then with the visitors rearguard creaking Ryan Davies rose
to meet Aled Rowlands' right wing corner and headed powerfully beyond

It was extra-time and the part-timers again matched the professionals.
Harvey saved well from Stones and then Wood blasted a shot across the face
of goal. With only six minutes left Carl Owen got behind the TNS defence and
as he headed goal wards he was blatantly brought down by Michael Jackson an
offence for which he received a straight red card.

And so too penalties. Amazingly the first four penalties failed to produce a
score. Both keepers pulled off an excellent save each. Richard Harvey then
pulled off another to deny Lee Williams before Carl Owen became the first to
convert from the spot. John Leah and Marcus Orlik followed suit so it was
all down to Mike Foster and, though Doherty got a hand to the shot, the
trusty left foot had done its job and Port were through. 

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey; John G Jones, Ryan Davies (Geraint Mitchell
86'), Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster: Gareth Caughter, Gareth Parry, Richard
Hughes (Carl Jones79'), Aled Rowlands: Carl Owen, Jason Sadler (Marcus Orlik
Yellow: Jason Sadler 34'

TNS: Doherty, Baker, King, Jackson, Hogan, Leah, Roscoe (Mark Davies 69'),
Prodger (Whitfield 77') (Lee Williams 118'), Toner, Stones, Wood.

Red: Michael Jackson 114'. Yellow John Leah 30'

Referee: Huw Jones	Attendance: 317

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, January 27th.

Newtown FC ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 0

A goalless draw says it all. This was a game which both sides should have
targeted for a potential three points but as it turned out it was one of the
poorest games of the season lacking in ideas and goalmouth thrills.
Tactically, visiting supporters were left mystified as two of their leading
scorers were left on the bench with Carl Owen up front as a lone striker. It
wasn't until he was joined up front by Les Davies, with an hour gone, that
Porthmadog showed any real threat on goal. 

The early play belonged to the visitors with Newtown rarely getting out of
their own half in the first quarter of an hour but Port created few chances.
Early on Carl Owen, relying on players breaking from midfield for support,
chipped a shot over the keeper but the ball ran wide of the post and Gareth
Parry fired over the bar from Carl Owen's downward header. A couple of
chances, one at either end, after 20' saw Harvey save well at his near post
when Matt Lewis for Newtown was put through and Carl Owen failed to get
enough on a good near post cross by Danny Hughes for the visitors. Near the
half hour mark Snowdery fired into the side netting following Tolley's
corner. A minute later Harvey pulled off a good save to deny Rob Williams.
Then just before half-time Rhys Roberts fired over the bar from distance. A
half which lacked creativity and punctuated by inaccurate passing ended with
neither side deserving to be ahead.

The second half continued in the same vein but after 59 minutes Butler, for
Newtown, set up the first clear chance of the game with a cross field pass
which freed Raven on the right of the box but the shot was wayward. Ten
minutes later and Butler himself was guilty of a poor finish when well
placed 15 yards out. With only 15 minutes left Port at last raised their
game and Carl Owen was unlucky when his low shot struck the foot of the
upright. Les Davies and Gareth Caughter then combined well to create a good
opening for Gareth Parry but the midfielder's low shot went narrowly the
wrong side of the post. With pressure mounting on the home goal keeper David
Jones did well to beat out Les Davies's powerful shot and then threw himself
to block Gareth Caughter's strike from the rebound. Les Davies's injury time
shot past the post following Danny Hughes's downward header proved to the
game's final act.

Both teams needed the points to lift them away from the strugglers at the
bottom of the table and to present a challenge for a Premier Cup place.
Despite this it was a very disappointing game. Both teams will look at this
result as two points lost. Next week it is the Welsh Cup and another visit
to The Traeth by TNS. Already Port know that they will be without Les Davies
who misses thanks to the totting up of yellow cards. 

Newtown: David Jones, Warton, Daniels, Raven (Haynes 77'), Rob Williams,
Snowdery, Gareth Hughes, (Darren Ryan 85') Tolley, Butler, Matt Lewis
(Hooley 44'), Richard Davies.
Sub not used: Daniel Griffiths.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Mike
Foster: Danny Hughes, Richard Hughes (Les Davies 59'), Gareth Parry, Clayton
Blackmore, Gareth Caughter (Aled Rowlands 90'): Carl Owen.
Subs not used: Jason Sadler, Carl Jones.	Yellow: Gareth Parry 65'

Referee: Kevin Parry (Llanfairpwll) 	Attendance: 205

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us