CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Y Trallwng / Welshpool (a) | Derwyddon Cefn / Cefn Druids (h) | Port Talbot (h) |
| Y Trallwng / Welshpool (h) | Llangefni (a) | Aberystwyth (a) | Caernarfon (h) |
Loosemore League Cup	-Tuesday, October 16th.

CPD Porthmadog ...5	Caernarfon Town 2
Paul Roberts 9' 55'	John Rowley 14
Carl Owen 15'		Mark Thomas 86'
Gareth Parry 18' 29'

A small crowd, for this hastily rearranged League Cup tie, was royally
entertained by a game which started with a goal spree. Four goals had been
scored the space of 9 minutes and that before the game was twenty minutes
old -three for the home side and one for Caernarfon. Paul Roberts added a
fifth early in the second half and the scoring was completed four minutes
from time when Caernarfon scored their second goal.

Few could have expected such a game as this was a dead tie with Llangefni
having already secured their place in the next stage of the tournament. It
was end to end from the start with Marcus Orlik shooting over the bar for
Port and the Port defence scrambling James Thomas' low cross away to safety.
Nine minutes into the game Porthmadog were ahead. Orlik lifted a free kick
into the danger area and when keeper Whelan failed to collect Paul Roberts
was on hand for a simple tap in. In another five minutes the visitors were
level when Sagar in the home goal failed to cut out a low left wing cross
from Doran and Rowley was on hand for another tap in. We had to wait only a
minute for Port to regain the lead. A ball out of defence sent Carl Owen on
his way and the striker raced on breaking into the box and beating Whelan at
his near post. A further minute and the home side could have gone further
ahead when Jason Sadler joined the party, crashing a shot from 18 yards
against the cross bar. With 18 minutes on the clock Gareth Parry rose
highest in the box to meet an Orlik corner and his downward header flew past
Whelan to make the score 3-1.

Caernarfon came close to reducing the lead when Addo fired low across the
face of goal but there was no respite for Whelan in the visitor's goal as he
had to pull off good saves to keep out first Jason Sadler and then Paul
Roberts. It was a relieved keeper who saw Paul Roberts' dipping shot drop
just over the bar. Inevitably, almost, this kind of pressure would produce a
fourth goal and it was Gareth Parry, for his second, who converted a Warren
Beattie corner at the far post. Five minutes before the interval Caernarfon
spurned a good opportunity when Addo provided Rowley with a clear chance at
the far post but the striker's header was wayward.

Ten minutes into the second period Paul Roberts added his second and
Porthmadog's fifth when he controlled Gareth Parry's headed pass and after
holding off McGarry broke into the box and found the net with a low left
foot shot. With the home side now comfortably placed it is not surprising
perhaps that the second period lacked the excitement of the incident packed
first half. Caernarfon strove to cut the deficit and Layton Maxwell tried a
shot from distance but Sagar in the home goal coped well. A good break by
James Thomas from midfield ended with a shot off target. The best
opportunities for the home side in the second period fell to Paul Roberts,
who was having his best game of the season so far. First of all he rounded
Doran before lifting his shot over the bar. Towards the end, having rounded
Eifion Jones, he failed to beat Whelan who pulled off a good save. With four
minutes left Caernarfon managed a second when Addo broke on the right and
found Mark Thomas in space and the midfielder finished the move with a low
accurate shot.

With the strike force of Owen, Roberts and Sadler combining well and
Beattie, once more, having an outstanding game in midfield maybe Porthmadog
can look forward to better times ahead.

Porthmadog (4-4-2): Joe Sagar, John G Jones, Danny Hughes, Rhys Roberts,
Richard Smart ( Mike Foster75'): Marcus Orlik (Ceri Roberts 72'), Gareth
parry (Matthew Hughes 79'), Warren Beattie, Jason Sadler: Paul Roberts, Carl
Yellow: Matthew Hughes.

Caernarfon: Whelan, Mark Harris (McGarry 12'), Doran, Bamber, Eifion Jones,
Mark Thomas, Maxwell, Addo, Bobby Jones, Rowley, James Thomas.
Sub: Gwyn Peters.
Yellow: Paul Addo.

Referee: M A Jones (Wrexham)		Attendance: 149

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, October 13th.

Aberystwyth Town ...2	CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Jamie Reed 56', 82'	Marcus Orlik 35'

Despite a resolute and far better organised performance by Porthmadog the
home side ran out winners thanks to a brace of goals by on loan striker
Jamie Reed, which included a late winner destroying manager Viv Williams'
hopes of a valuable point in his first league game since returning.

Aberystwyth threatened early on and after only four minutes Geoff Kellaway
burst strongly into the heart of the Port defence forcing Richard Harvey
into a save at the expense of a corner. But Porthmadog were soon in the game
with Gareth Parry, Warren Beattie and Marcus Orlik probing and prompting
from midfield. Beattie fed Paul Roberts after 11 minutes and the striker was
unlucky to see his shot deflected narrowly past the post. Paul Roberts was
again in the action after 21 minutes testing keeper Dave Jones heading
Marcus Orlik's corner dangerously goal wards. Aberystwyth were still a
threat from counter attacks and Kellaway went close at Harvey's near post.
Reed just after the half hour mark missed Aber's best chance of the half as
the home side took advantage of a poor clearance putting the striker clear
on goal only to see him shoot wide from close range. Minutes later and
Porthmadog were ahead as the home side's defence were caught standing still
appealing for offside when referee Neil Bayliss waved play on and Paul
Roberts took advantage running on into the box and as keeper Jones advanced
he squared the ball for Marcus Orlik to score unopposed. Port were now
playing with growing confidence and Rhys Roberts' downward header had to be
scrambled away by keeper Jones. On the stroke of half time the visitors
should have doubled their lead when Marcus Orlik raced to the bye line and
struck a powerful low cross into the 6 yard box. Though Carl Owen got on the
end of it he was unlucky to see the ball fly over the bar from close in.

The second half proved to be a different story as Aberystwyth pushed forward
from the start and for long periods the Porthmadog goal led a charmed life.
Stuart Roberts down the left and Luke Sherbon and Geraint Passmore on the
right sent a series of dangerous crosses to test the Porthmadog defence.
Wrexham trainee Jamie Reed was only narrowly off target in the 56th minute
and a moment later he got on the end of Luke Sherbon's hard hit low cross
to score the equaliser. Port continued to live dangerously and Richard
Harvey had to be alert to keep out Kellaway at the expense of a corner. Port
were never entirely out of things, however, and Rhys Roberts was not far off
the target with a header from another Orlik free kick. In the 77th minute
dangerman Stuart Roberts came close to claiming the winner but Richard
Harvey went down well to save at his near post. Then with the Porthmadog
supporters beginning to think that a point was a possibility Jamie Reed
found space for himself in the box taking advantage of a deflection from
Aneurin Thomas's free kick and fired past Harvey from close range. Though
both Paul Roberts and Carl Owen threatened close to the end that valuable
point eluded the visitors.

There was enough progress in this game, however, for Port supporters to feel
more optimistic and the warm applause which greeted Viv Williams at the end,
from travelling supporters, was entirely justified.

Aberystwyth: Dave Jones, Gareth Hughes (Andy Evans 80'), Matthew Roberts,
Aneurin Thomas, Christian Edwards, Geraint Passmore, Gavin Cadwallader
Robert Evans 71'), Geoff Kellaway (Eilian Evans), Jamie Reed, Luke Sherbon,
Stuart Roberts.
Sub not used: Jonathan Hartnell.
Porthmadog: Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Richard Smart, Rhys Roberts, Barry
Evans (Iwan Tomos 86'): Marcus Orlik (Jason Sadler 78'), Warren Beattie,
Gareth Parry Aled Rowlands, Paul Roberts, Carl Owen.
Sub not used: Matthew Hughes.

Referee: Neil Bayliss.		Attendance: 236  

Gareth Williams     

Loosemore League Cup 	- Wednesday, October 10th

Llangefni ... 2	CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Geraint Mitchell 57'
Danny Glyn Roberts 87'

There was no fairy tale return for Viv Williams as he took to the helm once
again at Porthmadog. After a goalless first period the visitors defended a
set piece poorly and conceded a 57th minute goal to Port 'old boy' Geraint
Mitchell. Sub Danny Glyn Roberts added a second two minutes from time to
complete the scoring. The run of defeats for Porthmadog continues whilst
fellow strugglers Llangefni have now won four games in a row.

Though Richard Harvey had to pull off a good early save diving to his left
to keep out Chris Evans' low 20 yard shot it was the visitors who posed the
greatest threat in the opening period with thehome side restricted to shots 
from distance. Adam Docker had a shot cleared off the line in the 13th minute 
following a corner. After 27 mins Marcus Orlikcutting in from the right was 
unlucky to see his curling shot strike thecross bar. Soon after Gareth Parry's 
20 yard effort shaved the cross bar and Iwan Tomos lifted his shot over the bar 
when well placed. John Gwynfor after 36 mins curled a shot in from the right 
which went narrowly wide of the far post. The best chance of the half, however, 
fell to Carl Owen but he failed to hit the target. It was however a half full 
of endeavour from the visitorsand they should have been ahead at the interval. 

Early in the second half Aled Rowlands, who had been a constant threat down
the left side, lifted a cross over the defence but Carl Owen though well
placed failed to hit the target.But the home side enjoyed their best spell 
of the game in the period after the break and twelve minutes into the second 
half the visitors were made to pay for their missed chances when Geraint 
Mitchelltook advantage of what was virtually a free header to beat Richard 
Harvey and convert Darren Thomas' right wing corner. Port now pushed forward in
search of an equaliser. Aled Rowlands had a 64th minute shot pushed away by
keeper Simon Williams into the path of Paul Roberts who's shot from close
range struck the post. Rhys Roberts had a chance four minutes later but
failed to get enough power on his shot and Simon Williams made the save.
With Porthmadog pushing everything into attack Llangefni were a threat on
the counter attack. Ywain Gwynedd in one of many breaks put his shot,
under pressure from Aled Rowlands,across the face of goal. Iwan Tomos
broke well from midfield but he again lifted his shot over the bar. In the
75th minute Aled Rowlands broke to the bye line and lifted a perfect
cross for the unmarked Paul Roberts but, with the goal gaping in front of
him, the usually reliable marksman headed wide. Mike Foster then lifted a
cross to the far post but Carl Owen's header went past the post. With time
running out and Porthmadog pushing forward things became stretched at the
back and when Austin lifted an 88th minute cross into the box Danny Glyn
Roberts beat Richard Harvey from close range to settle the tie and give
Llangefni their passport into the next stage of the competition.

There was a general improvement in the Porthmadog performance tonight but
chances win matches and though they created plenty they failed to take
advantage of a series of excellent opportunities. 

Llangefni: Simon Williams, Lee Dixon, Caerwyn Roberts, Geraint Mitchell,
Chris Hogg, Steven Kehoe, Darren Thomas, Chris Evans, Kevin Lloyd (Danny G
Roberts 85'), Ywain Gwynedd Adrain Jones 90'), Graham Austin (Dylan Owen
Yellow: Lee Dixon 38'
Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, John G Jones (Richard Smart 87'), Adam Docker,
Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster: Marcus Orlik, Gareth Parry (Jason Sadler 67'),
Iwan Tomos (Barry Evans 82'), Aled Rowlands: Carl Owen, Paul Roberts. 
Yellow: Rhys Roberts 22'

Referee; Kevin Parry (Llanfairpwll)	Attendance: 264

Gareth Williams.

Welsh Cup Round 2 	- Saturday, October 6th

CPD Porthmadog ... 0	Welshpool Town ... 2
		Ross Stephens 49'
		Steve Rogers 74'

There was to be no repeat of Porthmadog's only win of the season at Maesydre
a fortnight ago for after a scoreless opening half the visitors from Mid
Wales went ahead early in the second half thanks to a super strike from Ross
Stephens and the win was sealed by a Rogers free kick a quarter of an hour
before the end.

The visitors enjoyed the better of the early skirmishes with Joe Sagar on 10
mins having to be alert to keep out a cross cum shot from Calvin Davies
which curled dangerously towards the far post. Sagar was in action again to
pull off a good save diving to his left to stop Venables who had broken
dangerously from midfield. Porthmadog were not out of the picture however
and a long throw from Docker had the Welshpool defence in trouble but Paul
Roberts' snapshot flew over the bar. The best chance in the early stages
fell to Welshpool's Calvin Davies when a ball which had bobbled about the
edge of the area fell kindly for him but he skewed his shot wide off target.
Sagar then pulled off another good save from the lively Venables before
Porthmadog had their best chance of the half as Carl Owen got behind the
visitors defence but keeper Danny Jones was quickly out to block the shot.
The home side came strongly towards the end of the half with Rhys Roberts
shooting over following a corner and Paul Roberts doing the same when
another Docker long throw created problems in the Welshpool rearguard. It
remained scoreless at the interval.

Welshpool started strongly in the second period and after only four minutes
Ross Stephens on the left latched on to a long cross field pass and from 20
yards lashed a superb strike across Port keeper, Joe Sagar, into the far
corner of the net. Though this goal gave the visitors extra confidence
Marcus Orlik four mins later came close to gaining an equaliser when he
fired a Carl Jones pass narrowly wide of the target. Later Rhys Roberts rose
well to a Carl Jones corner but his header went over the bar. With 16 mins
to go Steve Rogers made the game more or less secure for the visitors when
he fired a 20 yard free kick past the wall and well out of reach of Sagar's
despairing dive. 10 minutes from the end Carl Owen netted for Porthmadog
only for the goal to be ruled out for a debatable off side decision. Whether
a goal then could have sparked a late revival will never be known but in the
closing stages it was the Port goal which came under pressure again as
Docker was forced to scramble a ball off his line with a minute to go.

Overall and on the back of their second half performance it was Welshpool
who deserved to go into the hat for the third round. For Porthmadog there
was to be no repeat of last year's performances and reaching the last eight.

Porthmadog: Joe Sagar, John G Jones (Clayton Blackmore 78'), Adam Docker,
Rhys Roberts, Richard Smart: Marcus Orlik (Aled Rowlands 78'), Gareth Parry,
Kyle Jacobs, Carl Jones (Karl Luisi 68'), Paul Roberts, Carl Owen. 
Yellow: Carl Jones 63'

Welshpool: Danny Jones, Geraint Windsor, Paul Dowridge, Dave Cunnah, Brett
Jeffries, John Keegan, Chris Venables, Ross Stephens (Michael Thompson 82'),
Steve Rogers, Calvin Davies (Aiden Shannon 78'), Richard Harris.
Sub not used: George Hughes.
Yellow: Steve Rogers 44', John Keegan 90'

Referee: Huw Jones (Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant) Attendance: 171

Gareth Williams     

Premier Cup, First Round    - Tuesday 2nd

CPD Porthmadog ... 2	Port Talbot Town ... 7
Carl Owen 82'		Liam McCreesh 6'
Paul Roberts 86'	   Martin Rose 22', 42'
			Kerry Morgan 64', 74', 90.
			Chad Bond 76'

This was a disastrous evening for Porthmadog as they were comprehensively
defeated by a Port Talbot side who were full of pace and running. Time after
time Port Talbot struck on the break and exposed a square defensive line-up
forcing errors and then clinically capitalising on them. Three up at half
time the visitors continued to expose the home defence with swift counter
attacks in the second and man of the match Kerry Morgan helped himself to a
second half hat trick.

As early as the third minute the pacey Lee John threatened on the right but
shot straight at Sagar. In the sixth minute, however, Port Talbot went ahead
when McCreesh, though he had his initial shot blocked, saw his second effort
slide under Sagar into the net. Though Porthmadog enjoyed a fair share of
possession and built their attacks patiently the moment the ball was lost
Port Talbot countered at pace and additions to the score always seemed
likely. Lee John fired over, Rose shot wide and a last ditch tackle by John
G Jones halted another attack. Porthmadog maintained a high defensive line
and Rose capitalised on this after 22' pouncing on a Rhys Roberts error to
race on from just inside the home half to score with a low drive. The
nearest Porthmadog came to scoring in the opening half came when Kyle Jacobs
broke forward and his powerful strike went just over the angle. Teenager,
Kerry Morgan, then came more into the game chasing the ball to the bye line
on the right and lifting a cross to the near post for Rose to head Port
Talbot's third. A minute later and the visitors could have added a fourth
but Blain was wide at the far post. 

Porthmadog had a good period of possession at the beginning of the second
period but their only real threat on goal came when Warren Beattie fed Carl
Owen on the edge of the box for the striker to turn well but Rogers touched
the shot over the bar. Any thought of a revival however was short lived as
Kerry Morgan, on 64 min, collected a long ball out of defence and held off
Rhys Roberts before sending a 15 yard shot across Sagar into the far corner
of the net. Rogers dealt with a Paul Roberts effort but Kerry Morgan was now
leading the home defence a merry dance. With 74 mins gone Morgan chased a
long ball down the right and lifted a superb effort into the top left hand
corner of the net. Two minutes later and Morgan outpaced the Porthmadog
defence, down the left this time, and feeding Chad Bond who coolly added
Port Talbot's sixth. Porthmadog then scored twice before but this only
brought a modicum of respectability to a dire situation. First Carl Owen
took advantage of defensive hesitancy to fire a good low shot past Rogers
from 18 yards. Four mins later Paul Roberts added a second converting a
right wing cross from Marcus Orlik. The last word however came from Port
Talbot and the inevitable Morgan. The teenager on loan from Swansea City
showed a final touch of class lifting Chad Bond's pass over Sagar for Port
Talbot's seventh and Kerry Morgan's own hat trick.

By the end Porthmadog looked totally disorganised and the progress shown
against TNS and Welshpool appeared to be a false dawn. Beating Port Talbot
last season with 10 men was but a distant memory.

Porthmadog: Joe Sagar, Kyle Jacobs, John G Jones, Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster:
Karl Luisi (Marcus Orlik 65'), Clayton Blackmore, Warren Beattie, Aled
Rowlands (Carl Jones 58'): Carl Owen, Paul Roberts.
Sub not used: Richard Smart. Yellow Rhys Roberts 65'

Port Talbot: Rogers, Lee deVulgt, Hanford, Gareth Phillips, Matthew Rees,
Surman, McCreesh (Chad Bond 71), Dylan Blain, Rose (Barrow 65'), Kerry
Morgan, Lee John.  
Subs not used: Burrows, Lancey, Pennock. 

Referee: Ceri Richards	Attendance: 136

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-September 29th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1	Cefn Druids ... 2
Paul Roberts 16'		Kevin Holsgrove 2'
				Mike Heverin 21'

This game was decided in the first half with all three goals in fact coming
in the first quarter of the game. For the remainder of the game spectators
were left to witness a very poor game of long balls and umpteen defensive

The Druids got off to the best of starts and were one up within two minutes.
It was a very poor goal to concede with keeper Joe Sagar misjudging an
inswinging corner by Kevin Holsgrove which curled in at the far post. The
home side soon settled however and after 13 minutes Kyle Jacobs' 20 yard
effort curled just outside Edwards' left hand post. With only 16' minutes on
the clock Porthmadog were back on level terms when Paul Roberts scored his
fifth goal of the season. Karl Luisi cut across field from the left before
finding Paul Roberts who still had much to do. The striker went past two
defenders before planting a vintage Roberts effort in the back of the net
from 16 yards. Unfortunately for the home side the scores remained level for
only another five minutes Heverin beating the advancing Sagar to get a foot
to Timmy Edwards' flicked header and lift the ball into the back of an empty
net. With Orlik and Carl Owen down the right giving Timmy Edwards and Aled
Rowlands a hard time with their skilful runs Port still threatened to get
themselves back into the game. Carl Owen on 33 minutes headed a Luisi cross
across the face of goal and four minutes later Carl Edwards did well to
frustrate Owen again when the striker looked set to round the keeper.

That however was as good as it got for Port for their second half
performance is one best forgotten. Though they enjoyed a greater share of
possession tactically they got it completely wrong. Cefn played to their
strengths, a limited game happy enough to rely on route one play clearing
their lines and using their superior height and physical strength. To the 
frustration of home supporters Port also proceeded to play to Cefn's 
strengths. One thing not to do with Timmy Edwards is to send an endless 
procession of highballs into the box but that was more or less the only 
tactic employed forthe remainder of the game. Much to the frustration of the 
attacking duo of Roberts and Owen, who like to have the ball played to feet, 
they were left to compete with Edwards, Phillips and Rowlands who were made 
to look good heading away a stream of high balls into the box. This was in 
stark contrast to the way in which Port had dealt with a similar situation at 
Welshpool and had played through midfield.

The nearest Porthmadog came to scoring in the second period was when Warren
Beattie freed Paul Roberts behind the defence, in the 54th minute, but the
striker pulled his left foot shot wide of the far post. Earlier Wayne
Phillips had cleared a Gareth Parry effort off the line following a corner
and just after the hour mark Carl Edwards saved well from Carl Jones diving
to his right. Cefn were happy to hold on to their lead and Geraint Lewis's
header over the bar early in the second half was one of the few times they
threatened to score. Cefn were reduced to ten men before the end but by then
they seemed have the game sewn up.  Near the end Carl Owen broke free but
appeared to be impeded and the last chance was gone.

Cefn Druids stuck to their basic game which deservedly earned them the
points. Port have no one to blame but themselves for being so tactically
inept. They will need to get back to the form shown against Welshpool and
TNS if they are to succeed against Port Talbot on Tuesday.

Porthmadog: Joe Sagar, Kyle Jacobs, John G Jones, Rhys Roberts, Mike Foster:
Marcus Orlik (Carl Jones 62'), Gareth Parry, Warren Beattie, Karl Luisi
(Richard Smart 70'): Paul Roberts, Carl Owen.
Subs not used: Aled Rowlands, Clayton Blackmore.

Cefn: Carl Edwards, Mark Powell, Aled Rowlands, Wayne Phillips, Timmy
Edwards, A.Edgar, McGinn, Geraint Lewis, Heverin, Darren Williams
(Hematinafar 74'), Holsgrove (Mazzarella 74').
Subs not used: Wright, Lee Jones, Russell.
Red: Mark Powell(2 yellows), Yellow: Geraint Lewis.

Referee: Paul Thomas (Porth)	Attendance: 163

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 22nd

Welshpool Town ... 0	CPD Porthmadog ... 3
			Paul Roberts 6' 76'
			Carl Owen 90'

A goal after only six minutes sent Porthmadog on their way to victory at
Maesydre and pick up the first win and the first points of the season. There
was clear evidence on Tuesday that the first victory was on the cards with a
performance against TNS which Ken McKenna described as "fantastic ...and
deserving something from the match." This time Port did not allow themselves
to be victims of either injury time goals or the vagaries of questionable
refereeing decisions for they sealed the victory with two second half goals
to add to Paul Roberts's 6th minute stunner.

Marcus Orlik and Kyle Jacobs combined to put Carl Owen clear down the right
and the hard working striker broke to the bye line striking a firm ball
across the face of the goal for Paul Roberts to outpace his markers and head
past McGuigan from close range. Paul Roberts threatened to increase the lead
after 10 minutes when he burst through on the counter attack but his shot
was straight at McGuigan. With the notorious Maesydre slope in their favour
the home side gradually got themselves back into the game and the Port back
five had to be at their best. The best chance for the home side came after
18 minutes when Sagar pulled off a good save to turn Ross Jeffries' far post
header for a corner. Welshpool continued to utilise the slope and enjoy
territorial advantage but they were reduced in the main to shots from long
range. Sagar dived low to keep out one of these a 22nd minute shot from
Chris Venables from 18 yards. Though Welshpool continued to press forward
apart from one hairy moment when Marcus Orlik had to clear off the line
following a Mike Thompson corner the Port defence were able to contain the
third placed home side without too many problems.

In the second period Port now had the advantage of the slope and three
minutes into the half should have gone further ahead when Paul Roberts
controlled well in the box but with only McGuigan to beat fired wide. A few
minutes later Carl Owen latched on to a ball over the defence but was very
unfortunate too see his 18 yard drive strike the foot of the post. Port were
now in the driving seat and Paul Roberts just after the hour mark forced
McGuigan to pull off a good save. Marcus Orlik launched a 30 yard free kick
which had McGuigan back pedalling frantically as it dipped just over the
bar. In the 76th minute Gareth Parry sent Carl Owen racing to the bye line
and the striker lifted a cross to the far post where Paul Roberts from the
narrowest of angles squeezed the ball past McGuigan who dragged the net off
the cross bar in his efforts to keep the ball out. This in turn contributed
to eight minutes of added time! On this occasion Port did not object to
overtime for in the 4th added minute Carl Owen crowned another afternoon of
running and setting up others with a goal of his own. Paul Roberts returned
the complement with a through ball for Carl to run on to and slot past the
former Port keeper for the third. All that was left now was to keep that
elusive clean sheet and Joe Sagar ensured this with an excellent block to
deny Calvin Davies in the 97th minute.

To the delight of the manager and the supporters Porthmadog confirmed the
huge promise of Tuesday night and showed that with a settled side the club
can go places. This might not have been such a quality performance as
Tuesday but it was a different challenge with the ball in the air a great
deal rather than the passing game of Tuesday. The good days lie ahead.

Welshpool: McGuigan, Barnett (Cunnah 64'), Dowridge, George Hughes, Brett
Jeffries, Ross Jeffries, Venables, Thompson (Ross Stephens 65'), Rogers,
Calvin Davies, Richard Harris (Aiden Shannon 73').
Yellow Cards: Brett Jeffries 45', Calvin Davies 81'.

Porthmadog: Joe Sagar, Kyle Jacobs, John G. Jones, Rhys Roberts (Capt.),
Mike Foster: Marcus Orlik, Gareth Parry, Warren Beattie, Karl Luisi: Carl
Owen, Paul Roberts.
Yellow Cards: John G Jones 24', Carl Owen 29', Joe Sagar 81', Paul Roberts
Subs not used: Aled Rowlands, Richard Smart, Clayton Blackmore, Carl Jones.

Referee S L Evans (Ynys Mn) 	Attendance: 169

Gareth Williams     


Cysylltwch ni / Contact us