CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Aberystwyth (h) | Caersws (a) | Airbus Broughton/Brychdyn (h) | Bangor (h) | Port Talbot (a) |
Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday March 15th

Port Talbot Town ...4		CPD Porthmadog ...2
Liam McCreesh 1' 			Marcus Orlik 62', 78'
Martin Rose 30' 60'
Scott Barrow 90'

Though they staged a late fight back to recover from three down to make a
game of it at 3-2 a poor first half performance left Porthmadog with too
much to do. They did have a couple of late chances to draw level but a late
sucker punch when they were throwing men forward settled a game, played in
torrential rain, in Port Talbot's favour.
Another poor Porthmadog start allowed the home side to go ahead in the first
minute when a cross field ball found Lee John in space on the right of the
box and the winger drilled the ball to the far post where Liam McCreesh
applied the finishing touch with his head. Soon after John broke into the
box on the left but fired into the side netting and it was John again who
threatened the Porthmadog goal again after 20 minutes with a curling free
kick which rattled the cross bar. Gradually Porthmadog weathered the storm
and got in a few attacks of their own. Debutant keeper Payne plucked a
dangerous Orlik cross from under his cross bar but just as they were getting
themselves into the game calamity struck again after half an hour. Rose, for
Port Talbot, chased a long ball out of defence but Ryan Davies and the
advancing Richard Harvey appeared to have it covered. A moment's hesitation
however allowed Rose to get a strike on the ball which took it just inside
the far post and into the unattended goal. Four minutes later Marcus Orlik
had a chance to get the visitors back into the game but his well struck free
kick from 25 yards curled the wrong side of the post. When Port Talbot
mounted a counter attack just before the interval Richard Harvey pulled off
a good save keep out the ever dangerous Rose.

Two minutes into the second period Porthmadog could have cut the deficit but
Orlik's dangerous 20 yard effort was touched on to the bar by keeper Payne
before being scrambled clear. The visitors now changed their 4-5-1 formation
for a more attacking one but with an hour gone disaster struck in the form
of another defensive muddle. A ball was played behind the Porthmadog defence
but the chasing Rhys Roberts and the advancing Richard Harvey appeared to
leave it to each other and despite appearing to pull Roberts in the process
Rose went on to score his second plodding through the puddles. Two minutes
later the visitors were thrown a lifeline when Matthew Rees the Port Talbot
skipper handled in the box and Marcus Orlik made no mistake from the spot.
The goal had the desired effect and Porthmadog threatened again with Ryan
Davies getting a head on an Aled Rowlands corner but it flew over the bar.
Then Rees for Port Talbot needed a good block to keep out another Orlik shot
after a good Port build up. But with Port committing more and more players
forward Harvey had to make a good save at his near post to keep out Baker.
On 78 minutes the deficit was further cut when a splendid low free kick by
Orlik went through the wall and found the corner of the net. Twice in the
last nine minutes Port came close to levelling the game. Payne saved a shot
drilled low by Rowlands and had it not stuck in a puddle Gareth Parry could
have scored. In the 89th minute Paul Roberts had a clear shooting chance
with only the keeper to beat but Payne got a hand to it and diverted it for
a corner. In injury time Barrow caught out the over stretched Porthmadog and
ran on to score and settle the issue.

Viv Williams commented afterwards "We did well to come back but it was our
own fault that we went three down. The first half was disappointing and we
left ourselves with too much to do." 

Port Talbot: Payne, McGibbon, Hanford (Thompson 63'), de-Vulgt (Baker 63'),
Matthew Rees, Surman, Lee John, Blain, Rose, McCreesh (Carl Evans

Porthmadog 4-5-1 Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Barry Evans (Aled Rowlands 57'): Richard Hughes, David Hughes (Paul Roberts 52')
Gareth Parry, Mark Thomas, Marcus Orlik (Richard Smart 80'): Carl Owen.

Referee: Neal Morgan.		Attendance: 120

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, March 8th

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Bangor ... 0

Although they are still searching for their first home win this hard fought
for point means that Port, are only one adrift of Caersws, and still very
much involved in the battle to retain WPL status. A season's first clean
sheet at home was good enough for a point and though there were some hairy
moments and the occasional desperate clearance it was the home team who
created the better chances and could well have picked up all three points.

Despite the stormy weather conditions this was far from being a boring
goalless draw. In the opening minute a low Limbert cross from the byeline
for Bangor evaded every one. But with the early play being end to end, Port
responded with Mark Thomas firing wide after a good build up on the left.
Carl Owen then squared the ball for Marcus Orlik but he lifted his shot over
the bar. A couple of Bangor attacks then threatened and it needed a good
relieving Ryan Davies header to clear another dangerous Limbert cross. This
was followed by a Sion Edwards effort which hit the side netting. But from
the moment referee Phil Southall turned down a good looking 20th minute
penalty appeal, when Carl Owen was brought down in the box, it was Port who
were asking most of the questions. Immediately a clever Carl Owen ball
put Gareth Parry clear but he sliced his shot wide. A perfectly delivered
Orlik free kick provided Mark Thomas with a free header, in the box, but
again keeper Smith was not tested. Following another free kick, this time by
Mark Thomas, two initial goal bound shots were blocked before Ryan Davies
struck the upright. During this period of Port pressure the only real Bangor
threat came from Les Davies who on one occasion got behind the defence but
an excellent Barry Evans recovering tackle saved the situation. The half
ended with Carl Owen, who ran and ran up front on his own, finding Gareth
Parry with a cross but again the header was wide. This left Port
disappointed to reach half-time without opening their account. 

The visitors posed more of a threat in the second period and there were
times when Port had to defend in depth with Hoy's long throws in particular
causing problems. But despite the pressure, when they were glad to concede
corners, the defence stuck to its task and didn't wilt. The nearest Bangor
came to a goal fell to leading scorer Stott, who had largely been well kept
in check, but the shot was off target. This was followed by a Sargeant free
kick which Richard Harvey tipped over the bar. Just past the hour mark
Gareth Parry lifted his shot over the bar after good work by Carl Owen and
Orlik. Orlik was gain in the action but Smith dealt with his 25 yard free
kick. As the game entered its final 10 minutes Gareth Parry came close with
an 18 yard effort which drifted narrowly past the post. Bangor could have
snatched a winner when Port were surprised by the visitors use of a restart,
which followed an enforced stoppage for a head injury, to set up a counter
attack. It ended with Noon striking an upright and so potential controversy
was averted. With the game entering injury time Carl Owen had his header
saved by Smith and at the death Port could have snatched all three points
when Ryan Davies's excellent free kick provided Gareth Parry with another 
heading opportunity but it flashed across the face of goal, going narrowly 

Any neutral at today's game would have found it hard to believe that there
were 13 places and 26 points separating these two sides in the table. With
the defence looking tighter and the decision to play five across midfield
having the desired effect Port look in good heart for the trials which lie
between them and the end of the season. Whatever the pre match issues
concerning the clash with the rugby, a crowd of 239 is very disappointing
for a game which usually draws 400+. It is clear that this is a matter the
league must get to grips with.  

Porthmadog (4-5-1) Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Barry Evans (Richard Smart 77'): Marcus Orlik, Danny Hughes, Gareth Parry,
Mark Thomas, David Hughes: Carl Owen. 
Subs not used: Richard Hughes, Aled Rowlands. Yellow: Rhys Roberts 56',Ryan
Davies 86'.

Bangor: Smith, Hoy, Beattie, Johnson, Webber, Sargeant, Limbert, Walsh
(Killakey 70'), Les Davies, Stott, Sion Edwards (Noon 83'). 
Subs not used: Swanick, McGuiness, Ogilvy.

Referee: Phil Southall		Attendance: 239

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, March 1st

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Airbus Broughton ... 2
Mark Thomas 75'		Gareth Sudlow 11'
Gareth Parry 80'		Danny Desormeaux 70'

Porthmadog missed the opportunity to lift themselves out of the bottom two
when they once more failed to win at home. But having been two goals down
with twenty minutes to go they were, by the end, grateful to salvage a

Having resisted early Port pressure the visitors went ahead after 11
minutes. They forced a corner on the right when Harvey had to tip a
Desmoreaux shot, from 18 yards, over the bar. When the corner wasn't
cleared, and the referee ignored claims that Richard Harvey had been
impeded, Gareth Sudlow took advantage to score from 12 yards. The
planemakers could have gone further ahead a minute later when a ball was
played into the path of Desmoreaux and the midfielder was only narrowly off
target. Pressure continued on the Port goal and Harvey saved well when
Molyneux met a cross from the left with a header. Gradually Port weathered
the storm and when Marcus Orlik found Paul Roberts in the box a goal looked
likely but when Roberts' shot was blocked Aled Rowlands failed to take
advantage of the rebound. Ryan Davies rose at the far post to meet Mike
Foster's corner but the header went narrowly wide. Soon after, it took a
good tackle by Sudlow to halt Paul Roberts in the box. Though Port pushed
forward looking for the equaliser the visitors still looked dangerous on the
break. Just before half-time Paul Roberts found Carl Owen in the box but,
with the referee ignoring claims that the striker was being pulled back,
Owen could only managing a weak shot which rolled outside the upright.

The home side came out after the interval determined to get back into the
game. Paul Roberts had an early shot deflected for a corner and the striker
was off target later following a Carl Owen flick on. A good block by Allen
then denied Roberts after a good ball from Ryan Davies. Next keeper Doran
came out well to halt Carl Owen. But Airbus looked fluent on the counter
attack and it took two good blocks first by Ryan Davies and then by Richard
Harvey to deny Sudlow with the referee ignoring appeals for offside. Airbus
scented an important second goal and John G Jones made a good block to halt
them but with 70 minutes gone Desmoreaux raced into the box beating Harvey
to the ball and touching it goalwards. Despite Ryan Davies' desperate
attempts to hook it out the plane makers were two up. Another Airbus counter
attack followed which needed a Harvey save to keep out Molyneux.

With the game slipping away from them Port's substitutes David Hughes and
Mark Thomas began to have a significant influence on the game. Hughes looked
dangerous from the moment he was introduced and when a corner was won down
the right he lifted it to the far post where Mark Thomas netted from close
range. Port raised their game and with ten minutes left David Hughes broke
down the right cutting into the box before crossing low. Paul Roberts' shot
was deflected into the air and Gareth Parry rose well to head past Doran
from close range. There was now a sniff of all three points as Mark Thomas
had his shot deflected into the side netting. But at the end the home side
had to be satisfied with a point, which for much of the game had seemed

News of Llangefni's excellent win and Connah's Quay home point does not help
matters but Port must now seek to emulate the Anglesey club's shock victory.
The battle continues at the Traeth when Bangor City are the visitors.

Porthmadog(4-4-2) Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Mike Foster (Richard Hughes 71'): Marcus Orlik (Dave Hughes 53'), Danny
Hughes, Gareth Parry, Aled Rowlands (Mark Thomas 68'): Paul Roberts, Carl
Owen. Sub not used: Mark Bridge(y).
Yellow: Danny Hughes 65', Carl Owen 86'.

Airbus: Doran, Ryan Edwards, Lovell, Desmoreaux, Sudlow, Mark Allen,
Woodward, Gareth Owen), Molyneux(Hallows 84'), McIntosh, Caughter.
Subs not used: John Davies, Danny Hughes. 
Yellow: Carl Lovell.

Referee: Mark Petch		Attendance: 189.

Gareth Wiliams

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, February 23rd

Caersws FC ... 2		CPD Porthmadog ... 4
Jon Slater 56' 87'	    	Carl Owen 15',27',85'
			Rhys Roberts 50'

There is nothing like a win to restore confidence and Porthmadog ran out
convincing winners in this relegation battle at the Recreation Ground. This
was a game which they dominated from start to finish in a performance
totally unrecognisable from events at the Traeth just a week ago. The
presence of influential skipper Ryan Davies, after six months on the
sidelines, inspired all around him and Carl Owen found his shooting boots
big time scoring three excellent goals.

Though Mark Griffiths for Caersws had a heading chance at the back post
after only three minutes it was Porthmadog who quickly established
themselves in the driving seat with Danny Hughes and Aled Rowlands chasing
and harrying in midfield pushing Port forward. In the sixth minute a long
ball out of defence found Paul Roberts and, though the striker beat his
marker to break into the box, his finish was just off target. The visitors
had only to wait 15 minutes for their opener when Carl Owen netted at the
far post. He drove Aled Rowlands' flighted corner into the roof of the net.
Before the half hour mark Port had doubled their lead, again it was Carl
Owen who curled a superb finish inside the far post after Rhys Roberts had
done the spadework with a fine run from half way beating three defenders
before slipping the ball to Owen. Two minutes later and Aled Rowlands burst
from midfield but Mulliner denied him a score with a fine one handed save.
Porthmadog went in at the interval 2-0 ahead.

Two minutes into the second period Paul Roberts broke into the box rounding
Andrew Thomas but his curling shot from 12 yards was just wide of the post.
But with 50' gone Port opened a three goal lead when Mike Foster found Rhys
Roberts at the far post with a cross from the left. The defender headed into
the goal mouth and when Gareth Parry slipped the ball back to him Roberts
fired into the net from close range. Six minutes later Caersws pulled one
back when a free kick wide on the left gave them a rare opportunity and when
the ball was headed back into the danger area sub Jon Slater applied the
finishing touch. Twice Carl Owen came close to completing his hat trick. On
the hour Aeron Edwards cleared Owen's shot rolling goal wards and then the
on fire striker was unlucky to see his shot strike the foot of the post. 10
minutes from time Paul Roberts fired straight at Mulliner after good work by
David Hughes and Gareth Parry. With five minutes of the ninety left Carl
Owen completed his hat trick when he beat the offside trap to run on to
David Hughes's well judged through ball. Though he was forced wide the
striker squeezed his shot from 12 yards inside the post. Another set piece
in the 88th minute gave Caersws a second goal again from Slater who headed
over Harvey. But it was a case of too little too late and Port gained their
sixth win of the season on the road. 

A relieved Viv Williams said "The win was a good response to last week's
unacceptable performance. I am more then happy with this display. Carl Owen
is a team player but I encouraged him to have a go himself and he has scored
his first hat trick in the WPL." 
The task now is to continue with the effort shown, and to go for a season's
first at the Traeth next week.

Caersws: Mulliner, Jonathan Jones (Towers 65'), Andy Davies (Haynes 75'),
Colin Reynolds, Andrew Thomas, Gari Lewis, Sion Meredith, Aeron Edwards,
Graham Evans (Jon Slater 46'), Mitchell, Mark Griffiths.
Yellow: Graham Evans 34', Colin Reynolds 85', Andrew Thomas 85', Mark
Griffiths 90'.

Porthmadog (4-4-2) Richard Harvey, John G Jones, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts,
Mike Foster: Marcus Orlik (David Hughes 64'), Danny Hughes, Gareth Parry,
Aled Rowlands: Carl Owen, Paul Roberts.
Subs not used: Mark Thomas, Gareth Owen, Mark Bridge (y).
Yellow: Paul Roberts 73'

Referee: Darren Adie. 		Attendance: 184

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, February 16th

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Aberystwyth Town ... 6
Gareth Owen 74'		Geoff Kellaway 17',45',87'
Gareth Parry 85'		Luke Sherbon 29',39'
			Gareth Owen(og) 50'

A Kellaway hat trick and a couple by man of the match, Luke Sherbon, gave
Aberystwyth a comprehensive victory over Porthmadog who after a reasonable
opening capitulated in a 16 minute period before half time. In this period
they conceded three goals and were totally outplayed.

Aberystwyth gave a warning of what was to come in the first minute when Andy
Evans headed Kellaway's free kick against the cross bar.Porthmadog replied
briefly and in the 7th minute could have gone ahead when Rhys Roberts
thundered a shot goalwards following a corner. Jones could only partially
save the shot but it was scrambled away for another corner. But after
competing well for the first 15 minutes a poor clearnace let in Kellaway for
his first, bursting down the right to beat Harvey with an angled shot. With
the Port defence maintaining a high defensive line the neat passing
Aberystwyth exploited the situation and Luke Sherbon was freed on 29 minutes
to run on and fire a low powerful shot wide of Harvey. It was Luke
Sherbon again ten minutes later who netted the third cutting in from the
left to curl a superb finish into Harvey's top left hand corner. Just before
half time Kellaway once again caught the home defence totally square and
ran on to a through ball to score unchallenged. During this disastrous
period Aberystwyth could have gone even further ahead for one goal was
disallowed for offside and Richard Harvey pulled off excellent saves to deny
Kellaway and then Passmore.

Five minutes into the second half and things got even worse for Port when
Gareth Owen's attempted clearance ended in the back of his own net. With a
five goal advantage inevitably the visitors took their foot off the
accelerator and Port could have made greater inroads into that lead had they
taken their chances. Paul Roberts after 57 minutes found himself with a
clear shooting chance but his shot drifted past the upright. Later Carl Owen
burst clear down the right channel but a good opportunity was diverted for a
corner. In the 74th minute Port opened their account when Gareth Owen rose
well to head Marcus Orlik's corner -this time- into the Aberystwyth net!
Mark Thomas then spurned another good opportunity for Port firing over when
well placed. An even better chance came in the 83rd minute when Gareth Parry
was brought down in the box but David Jones saved brilliantly with his trailing 
leg to deny PaulRoberts from the resulting penalty. Two minutes later Gareth 
Parry took advantage of a muddle in the vistors defence to score from close 
range. But the last word went to Aber when Kellaway again took advantage of the
defensive frailties. He was allowed to burst into the box by a retreating
defence and Harvey failed to hold his low shot which slipped out of his
grasp into the net.

It's the same old story now -the next two games are vital; away at Caersws
and home to Airbus. Success will depend on better defending and taking our

Porthmadog (4-4-2) Richard Harvey: John G Jones, Gareth Owen, Rhys Roberts,
Mike Foster: David Hughes (Aled Rowlands 68'),Mark Thomas, Gareth Parry,
Marcus Orlik ( Carl Jones 80'): Carl Owen, Paul Roberts.
Sub not used: Barry Evans. Yellow: Marcus Orlik 77'

Aberystwyth: David Jones, Sion James, Mathew Roberts, Aneurin Thomas,
Christian Edwards, Gavin Cadwallader, Geoff Kellaway, Geraint
Passmore(Robert Evans 71'), Andy Evans (Tiago da Silva 74'), Luke Sherbon,
Gareth Hughes.
Sub not used: Martin Griffiths.

Referee: R C Duncan		Attendance: 207

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us