CPD Porthmadog FC
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Y Drenewydd / Newtown (h) | Caersws (h) | Cei Connah's Quay (a) [LC] | Bala (a) | Caersws (h) [LC] | Neath (h) |
Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 5th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Neath Athletic ... 4
Dan Pyrs 90'			Craig Steins 12'
				Chris Llewellyn 47'
				Stephen Pockett 59'
				Craig Steins 69'

By any measure this was a poor result for Porthmadog especially following on
the encouraging performances against Bala and Caersws. On the day they were
out muscled by a big, strong experienced Neath outfit. More than one of the
goals came as a result of defensive errors or wayward passes giving the ball
away in crucial areas. They were not helped either by some inconsistent
refereeing also including some very debateable decisions.

Both teams had good early chances with Marc Evans putting Mike Thompson
through on the left of the box but the winger screwed his finish across the
face of goal. Before there were 10 minutes on the clock a Chris Jones run
took him past two defenders but his excellent low cross, which should have
produced a goal, was scrambled clear. At the other end Richard Morgan
somehow kept out Steins' goal bound near post header. But with 12 minutes on
the clock the same player made up for his early miss turning John Keegan in
the box and firing low into the net from 12 yards. The visitors continued to
apply the pressure and with a stiff wind on their backs tested the home
defence with an aerial bombardment which the Port defence in the opening
half did well to withstand. Steins fired an angled shot which Morgan touched
for a corner and another shot by the same player took a deflection but
Morgan again saved well. Towards the end of the half the home side had their
best period stringing some useful passes together and forcing several
corners. Their best chances in this period came via a Mike Thompson free
kick which keeper Williams needed a second bite before completing the save.
A good move down he right and a deep Chris Jones cross found Paul Roberts
who's half hit shot took a bounce over the bar. 

The second half opened with Port on the attack and Mike Thompson let fly a
shot on the turn which went across the face of goal. A minute later Neath
scored a crucial second goal when Chris Llewellyn won the ball in tackle
with Eifion Jones and with Port appealing for foul the forward ran on
unopposed to score from 15 yards. Gareth Parry had the opportunity to pull
one back but his drive from the edge of the box went over thee bar. Just
before the hour mark was reached the game was put out of the reach of
Porthmadog when the ball was given away in midfield and Pockett latched on
to a downward header in the box to fire past Richard Morgan for the third
goal. It was now over as a contest and when a free kick was awarded,
following what appeared to be a dive and with Port still making their
feelings felt, the referee controversially allowed the free kick to be taken
quickly and Steins took full advantage to score his second. Port did get a
consolation goal at the end when Chris Jones and Paul Roberts combined well
to create the opening for Dan Pyrs to score his first WPL goal.

Following two clean sheets this first defeat of the season was a big
disappointment but there were some pluses, however, with Chris Jones
continuing his excellent early form and newcomers Euron Roberts and Marc
Evans again confirming their promise.

Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Eifion Jones, John Keegan,
Gareth Parry, Ceri James( Mark Gornall 73'), Paul Roberts, Chris Jones, Marc
Evans, Mike Thompson (Dan Pyrs 63'). Sub not used: Aden Shannon. Yellow:
Ceri James 51'.

Neath Athletic: Anthony Williams, Castan, Smithman( Hillier 71'), Cronin,
Hancock, Mathew Harris, Pockett( Howard 73'), Craig Steins, Chris Llewellyn,
Andy Hill, Dale Evans( Davey 81'. Yellow: Chris Llewellyn 60'

Referee: Paul Thomas (Rhondda)		Attendance: 227.

Welsh Premier League Cup		-Tuesday, September 1st

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Caersws FC ... 0
Marc Evans 66' 71'

Two goals in five minutes from the 19 year old striker, Marc Evans, midway
through the second half, gave Porthmadog the win which their overall
superiority deserved. This secured, not only the first win of the season but
also, having waited the best part of 10 months, a second clean sheet in
quick succession.

Though the first half remained scoreless both sides had their opportunities
to open their account. The strong wind blowing downfield in favour of
Caersws during the first half dictated the tactics used. Whereas the
visitors relied on long ball counter attacks, Port, with Ceri James
prompting in midfield, needed a more patient build-up. Only three minutes
into the game a long through ball caught out the home defence and allowed
Gareth Mansell burst free into the box only to skew his shot wide with the
goal at his mercy. Within two minutes Port could have gone ahead but an
awkward bounce denied Paul Roberts a close range opportunity. The early
chances continued and Geraint Lewis should have done better when he received
from Holt at the near post. After this the better chances were created by
the home side as they began to get on top. The best of these fell to Marc
Evans racing on to a Chris Jones cross but his shot flashed over the bar.
This still proved an useful sighter for what was to come later. Half time
came without a score.

Port in the early part of the second half, with the wind on their back, over
used the long ball and this proved ineffective. Geraint Lewis fired over the
bar when the visitors launched an early counter attack and Marc Evans at the
other end lobbed over the bar after good work down the left. Gradually Port
got their passing game working and this proved a decisive change for the
better. Mike Foster crossed from the left on the hour mark and Gareth
Parry's header went narrowly wide. A good build-up lead to the first goal
with Chris Jones providing the killer pass to open the Caersws defence
allowing Marc Evans in. The young striker opened the scoring with a
confident shot across the keeper from 15 yards. Five minutes later and Chris
Jones again broke free past Holt, this time racing to the bye-line before
crossing low into the path of the advancing Marc Evans who converted from
close range. From then on in Porthmadog with their passing game were in
complete charge and this was much to the delight of home supporters. Even
the introduction of subs did not disrupt this in any way and before the end
there were further efforts from Gareth Parry, Jack Jones and Paul Roberts.

It was pleasing to see the progress over the previous two games being
maintained and also the adaptability of the squad with Euron Roberts
slotting in well in central defence and Dan Pyrs, who had been prominent in
midfield, filling in at right back.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Eifion Jones, Ryan Davies (Gareth
Parry 51'), Mike Foster: Dan Pyrs, Ceri James, Mark Gornall (Jack Jones
77'): Chris Jones, Paul Roberts, Marc Evans (Cai Jones 86')
Subs not used; Dylan Williams (y), Meilir Rhys (gk). Yellow; Paul Roberts

Caersws: David Jones, Matthew Roberts, Holt, Taylor, Clarke, Graham Jones,
Lee Jenkins, Mansell (Jacob Smith 76'), Prosser, Melia, Geraint Lewis
(Jonathan Jones 90'). Sub not used: Cory Jenkins.

Referee: AP Harms			Attendance: 172. 

Principality Welsh Premier League 	-Friday, August 28th

Bala Town ... 0			CPD Porthmadog ... 0

A scoreless draw conjures a picture of a boring game which is well wide of
the mark as far as this game is concerned. A bumper crowd and a game full of
tension and incident with no quarter asked or given by either side. Defences
though stretched proved equal to the task and above all two excellent
goalkeeping performances ensured parity at the end.

Bala were quickly off the mark and forced a couple of quick corners with no
end product. At the other end Paul Roberts broke into the box and fired in
an angled shot which Bimpson did well to keep out. The best early chance
came after 15 minutes when Ceri James found Mike Thompson free inside the
box but the winger was thwarted by another fine save by Bimpson. Minutes
later Chris Jones met an excellent Thompson cross, but his flying header
went over the bar. Soon after a Ceri James header flew inches over the bar.
Though Port were in command at this stage Richard Morgan had to punch away
Owain Roberts' shot when Bala broke quickly. The closest the home team came
to goal was from Ricky Evans'28th minute free kick from 20 yards which
curled just outside the post. Richard Morgan was again in action diving at
the feet of Osian Jones who burst free into the box. Five minutes before the
interval a Mike Thompson pile driver would have opened the scoring for the
visitors but for a superb diving save from Bimpson, managing to push the
shot on to the bar. Port again came close in the dying minutes of the first
half when Marc Evans shot from 18 yards went inches over the bar. The
interval came with Port feeling that they should have capitalised on their
first half performance.

Early in the second half Owain Jones took advantage of a deflection to burst
into the box and with only keeper Richard Morgan to beat fired against the
post. Bala continued with early pressure and it needed an excellent tackle
from the returning Mike Foster to halt Owain Roberts. Play was end to end
and a Chris Jones cross was headed over the Bala bar by John Keegan. Soon
after a Marc Evans effort was blocked for a corner. The final quarter
however belonged to Bala as they applied most of the pressure and the Port
defence with WPL debutant Euron Roberts again showing up well and Mike
Foster completing a solid looking back four. Stuart Hayes was proving a
handful firing over the bar and then being foiled by another fine Morgan
save when he burst into the Port box. It was Ricky Evans who came closest to
snatch a win for the home side when in the dying minutes his close range
header went inches over the bar.

Port will feel that they should have made better use of their first half
dominance but in the end they were glad to settle for a point as Bala came
strongly at the death. Port supporters left pleased that the progress shown
at Connah's Quay has been maintained denting Bala's 100% start. The last
time Port managed a clean sheet was on November 7th 2008 at the Oval!

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Gareth Parry, Ryan
Davies John Keegan, Chris Jones, Ceri James, Paul Roberts, Marc Evans, Mike
Thompson (Dan Pyrs 64'). Yellow: Mike Thompson 20', Ceri James 51'.
Subs not used: Mark Gornall, Eifion Jones.

Bala: Bimpson, Bell, Gethin Lloyd, Powell, Jellicoe, Ross Jeffries, Owain
Roberts, Peter Moore, Stuart Hayes, (Mark Griffiths 83')  , Ricky Evans,
Osian Jones.
Subs not used: Steve Fisher, Warren Duckett

Referee: Mike Jones (Wrexham)		Attendance: 633.      

League Cup 	-Tuesday, August 25th

Gap Connah's Quay ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Mark McGregor 32'			Paul Roberts 28'
Sam McNutt (p) 34'			Ryan Davies 78'
Michael Hayes 49'

The Porthmadog team must have left Deeside mystified at how the win they
deserved got away. Though the home side played some neat football and always
looked dangerous on the break it was Port who largely dominated the
possession and created the better goal scoring opportunities. However
despite the disappointment there were many plus points such as the
successful switch of Paul Roberts to midfield, a good debut for Euron
Roberts at right back and much improvement in the general passing and
constructive play of the whole team.

The game opened with both sides threatening early on but it was Porthmadog
who gradually got on top and began to control the game. Marc Evans
threatened down the right and tested McCormick in the home goal. Rowley came
close with a header from a Mark Gornall corner. It was no more than Port
deserved when Paul Roberts put them ahead after 28 minutes. It was another
Mark Gornall corner which keeper McCormick came for but failed to gather.
Paul Roberts was on hand to volley the loose ball into the net from 8 yards.
The lead however only lasted for 4 minutes before an unmarked Mark McGregor
at the back post headed home a Sam McNutt free kick. Two minutes later and
the home side took an unlikely lead when a ball into the box struck Mark
Gornall on the arm and referee Markham-Jones pointed to the spot. McNutt
converted the penalty sending Richard Morgan the wrong way. Port thought
that they had equalised on 39 minutes when yet another Gornall corner caused
problems and Keeper McCormick scrambled a Rowley header away with Port hotly
claiming that the ball had crossed the line.

A lively opening from the home team after the interval saw Jamie Petrie
twice break dangerously down the right and from the second of these on 49
minutes his cross led to a huge scramble in the Port box but it was Michael
Hayes who managed to get the final touch to score from 6 yards. For a brief
period it seemed that this goal had ended the game as a contest. But
gradually the visitors regained control with some excellent passing and the
midfield trio of Ceri James, Gareth Parry and Paul Roberts controlling the
game. On 66 minutes Marc Evans burst into the box but he was denied a goal
when the ball took a deflection past the post off keeper McCormick. With 12
minutes left Ryan Davies cut the deficit heading a Chris Jones corner past
McCormick from close range. The pressure mounted as Port went for the
equaliser. Paul Roberts fired over from 25 yards and then Marc Evans again
burst into the Nomads box but once again McCormick was quickly off his line
throwing himself at the striker's feet and coming up with ball in hand.

The equaliser which was the very least Port deserved would not come but
after a muted start to the season this performance promised more in a game
which had some good quality football.

Porthmadog (4-4-2) Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Ryan Davies, John Keegan,
Mar Gornall: Gareth Parry (Dan Pyrs 83'), Ceri James, Paul Roberts, Chris
Jones: Marc Evans, John Rowley (Mike Thompson 66')
Sub not used: Eifion Jones. Yellow: Gareth Parry Ceri James 68', 
Mike Thompson 89'
Connah's Quay: McCormick, Baker, Sean Williams (Dowridge 53'), McGregor
(Herbert 77'), Glover, Craig Jones, Calder, Forde, Hayes, Petrie, McNutt
(Olsen 63') Yellow; Craig jones 83', mike Hayes 90'. 

Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones (Wrexham)	Attendance: 102 

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier 	-Saturday, August 22nd

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Caersws FC ... 1
Paul Roberts 66'		Geraint Lewis 49'

A second home draw, and another unconvincing performance, in a game where
neither Porthmadog nor Caersws did enough to deserve the three points. It
tells us much about the game that both the goals resulted from defensive
uncertainty rather than creative play. 
Both teams had early opportunities. Caersws should have done better when
Mansell found Prosser in space on the edge of the box after 5 minutes and,
soon after, home keeper Morgan had to race from his line to thwart Eddie
Jones. Chris Jones meanwhile was a threat down the right for Port and his
long cross provided Paul Roberts with a scoring opportunity but Caersws
keeper David Jones pulled off a good save. Another Port heading opportunity
came for Ryan Davies but again Jones pulled off a good save. Although
Caersws started the stronger as the half wore on it was the home side who
looked the more likely to score. Just after the half hour Jones did well to
deny Marc Evans who fired low after receiving a Mark Thompson cross to the
far post. Just before the interval Richard Morgan pulled off a good save to
keep out a curling shot from Eddie Jones. A disappointing game remained
scoreless at the break. Neither side was able to build through midfield
relying on hopeful balls pumped upfield. Chris Jones and Marc Evans
threatened for Port but the service they received was generally very poor.

Four minutes into the second period the visitors went ahead when Geraint
Lewis took advantage of a poor defensive clearance firing low through the
crowded box from 15 yards. Scoring gave Caersws a boost of confidence and
soon after Eddie Jones raced past Ryan Davies to bring a fine diving save
from Richard Morgan down near his left hand post and Prosser came close with
a header. But neither side was able to control the game and few if any clear
cut chances were created. The equaliser after 66 minutes once again resulted
from poor defensive play when Ceri James's free kick wide on the right was
allowed to bounce across the box to reach the unmarked Paul Roberts and the
experienced goal scorer took advantage firing through a crowd of defenders
from 15 yards. There was little further of note to report as neither side
really mounted a challenge for all three points. A long ball out of defence
gave Melia a shooting chance and Morgan pulled off a good save to deny
Mansell. The best late move for Port freed Marc Evans on the right. The
striker cut inside but chose to go for goal rather then cross.
On the positive side this Port team in the process of rebuilding have picked
up a point where they yielded all three against a poorer Caersws team last
season. There were good attacking performances from Marc Evans and Chris
Jones -especially in the first half. At the back Ryan Davies and John Keegan
turned in resolute performances and behind them Richard Morgan was once more
in excellent form.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan: Jack Jones (Dylan Williams 88'), Eifion Jones
(Mark Gornall 79'), Ryan Davies, John Keegan: Chris Jones, Dan Pyrs, Gareth
Parry, Mike Thompson (Ceri James 59'): Marc Evans, Paul Roberts. Yellow:
Chris Jones 37'.

Caersws: David Jones, Kevin Davies, Matthew Holt, James Taylor, Hugh Clarke,
Graham Jones, Lee Jenkins, Gareth Mansell, Matt Prosser, Eddie Jones (Chris
Melia 61'), Geraint Lewis. Subs not used: Jonathan Jones, Corey Jenkins.
Yellow: Kevin Davies 37'

Referee; Kevin Parry (Llanfairpwll)		Attendance: 277.     

Principality Welsh Premier League	- Saturday 15th August

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Newtown FC ... 1
Marc Evans 87'(p)		Adam Worton 5'

A well struck penalty by debutant Marc Evans, 3 minutes from time, gave
Porthmadog an unlikely share of the points. For most of the game Darren
Ryan's team were dominant and but for a superb performance by the home
keeper Richard Morgan and some poor finishing by the visitors, then Newtown
would surely have run out winners by a margin of three or four goals.

The mid-Wales club started on fire and such a storming start clearly
unsettled the home defence. As early as the 4th minute Gavin Cadwallader had
the ball in the Port net only to have it disallowed for offside. But the
visitors did not have to wait long before they opened the scoring. New
signing Ross Stephens skipped past a couple of tackles into the heart of the
home defence before finding Ward whose shot was blocked but Adam Worton in
acres of space on the right of the boxfired low past Richard Morgan for the
5th minute opener. Further efforts by Robbie James, and Worton again, were
not far off target and Mitchell drove low into the side netting. Port to
their credit kept themselves in the game and to an extent managed to stem
the early onslaught. The best home chances came from set pieces and a
curling 20th minute Paul Roberts free kick went narrowly outside the upright 
and a minute later Mike Thompson's corner found Marc Evans at the back post. 
The young striker was unlucky to see his header land on the cross bar. Just
before half time, with everyone expecting an offside decision, home keeper
Morgan raced out and pulled off an outstanding save to deny Ward. 

Richard Morgan was soon in action again after the interval turning a Worton
effort on to the post. Though they were still enjoying the best of the
possession, and attacking the Port defence at pace, too often the final ball
for Newtown went astray. Though they had the wind on their backs this did
not prove to their advantage as passes and crosses were over hit. But a
route one ball just after the hour mark should have brought the visitors
their second goal but Morgan was again quickly out to turn Ward's effort for
a corner. Another chance was lost as the defence opened up in front of
Stephens. The failure to add a second gave Port a lifeline and gradually
they began to threaten themselves. Twice teasingly dangerous crosses from
Chris Jones had to be booted for corners. Then came a neat 69th minute
exchange of passes between Marc Evans and Mike Thompson which should have
resulted in a goal by Thompson. Maguire in the visitors' goal spread as
himself to save. Morgan again kept his team in the game throwing himself to
his left to deny Robbie James. With time running out Paul Roberts slipped a
well weighted through ball for Marc Evans and the striker burst into the box
before being pulled down by Craig Williams. The youngster picked himself and
struck the penalty confidently into the left hand corner of the net for his
first WPL goal. The home side had surprised even their loyal supporters by
getting out of gaol.

The lessons for both sides are fairly obvious. Port will need to be less
charitable at the back and will have to improve the service to the dangerous
front men. Newtown on the other hand will have to be less charitable in
front of goal.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Jack Jones, Eifion Jones, John Keegan, Mark
Gornall(Carl Jones 80'): Chris Jones, Dan Pyrs(Ceri James 74'), Gareth Parry
(capt), Mike Thompson: Paul Roberts, Marc Evans. Yellow: Mike Thompson 54',
John Keegan 73', Paul Roberts 89'.
Sub not used: Euron Roberts
Newtown: Maguire, Craig Williams, Daniels, Hutchinson, Andrew Thomas,
Cadwallader, Worton, Robbie James, Mitchell(Breeze 85'), Ward, Stephens.
Yellow: Hutchinson 60'. Subs not used: Tom Jones, M. Lewis, Frazer, Mc

Referee: Darren Adey		Attendance: 338

Gareth Williams      


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us