CPD Porthmadog FC
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Neath (h) | Derwyddon Cefn Druids (a) | Llanelli (h) | Cei Conna / Connah's Quay [LC] (h) | Rhyl (a) |
| Penrhyncoch [WC] (a) | Caersws [LC] (h) | Haverfordwest (a) |
Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, October 17th

Haverfordwest County.... 2 		CPD Porthmadog... 0
J. Grimes 79'
J.Bradford 90.
A 79th minute shot, from Haverfordwest defender Jamie Grimes from 25 yards
out, took a big deflection and changed what had been a very even game
between two sides who played some neat passing football on a good surface in
ideal weather conditions. It was the case of another hard luck story as Tomi
Morgan took a side down to its bare bones, lacking Chris Jones, Ryan Davies,
Mike Thompson and Aden Shannon four of his most experienced players to do
battle with mid-table Haverfordwest. The inexperienced outfit performed well
matching the Pembrokeshire club for most of the 90 minutes but lacked a
cutting edge which might have given them the share of the points which their
play deserved.

Both sides had early testers with Ceri James heading wide of the post for
Port and Jack Christopher coming even closer for Haverfordwest, only to see
his goal bound shot cleared off the line by John Keegan. A Mark Gornall free
kick and a well struck shot from Gareth Parry tested Idzi in the home goal.
But the best of the early chances for Port came after 23 minutes when Paul
Roberts controlled well with his chest and was unlucky to see his well
struck shot on the turn fly narrowly wide of Idzi's left hand post.
Following this Jack Christopher, lurking at the back post for the home team,
got his head to two Damon Searle crosses. The second of these needed to be
tipped over the bar by the alert Richard Morgan. Then a corner by Jarrod
Price set up a shooting chance for Paul Michael which was struck narrowly
over the bar. Just before the interval Marc Evans put the home defence under
pressure robbing Idzi and when the ball ran free it needed a firm Briers
boot to send it to the safety of the touchline. Then on the stroke of
half-time Gareth Parry squeezed forced the ball into the net only to have it
disallowed for an infringement on the keeper.

The second half again started evenly with both sides passing the ball around
well looking for openings. From one of these moves by the home side Richard
Morgan was called into action to deny the growing threat of Jamie Bradford.
At the other end Marc Evans was freed down the right and cut inside but his
finish lacked the power to trouble Idzi. Dan Pyrs then fired a shot at
Idzi's goal from 18 yards -just over the bar. Haverfordwest struck back and
after 69 minutes Richard Morgan had to come off his line to block a Robbie
Walters effort from point blank range. Then with 75 minutes gone a well
worked Port move should have produced the opening goal. Mark Gornall opened
up the home defence with a ball down the left and Marc Evans' low ball in
put Paul Roberts clear in the box, but the prolific striker hit his shot
across the goal and wide of Idzi's far post. Almost immediately
Haverfordwest broke upfield and Richard Morgan pulled off a fine diving save
to touch Bradford's effort, from 12 yards, against the post. With 11 minutes
left misfortune struck. Jamie Grimes was allowed to break unchallenged from
the back and his shot from 25 yards took a huge deflection leaving Richard
Morgan helpless. It was hugely disappointing for the re-jigged Port defence
which had performed heroically with Euron Roberts outstanding at the heart
of it. Haverfordwest added a second in injury time with Jamie Bradford at
last getting his name on the score sheet, but the two goal margin flattered
the home side in what had been an even and attractive contest.

Port officials and supporters congratulate the Haverfordwest club on the
excellent improvements to the ground and thank them for their usual friendly
welcome and warm hospitality.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Jack Jones, Mike Foster, Euron Roberts, Mark
Gornall (Dylan Williams 81'), John Keegan, Dan Pyrs, Ceri James (Stefano
Antoniazzi 60'), Paul Roberts, Marc Evans, Gareth Parry (Iddon Price 89'). 
Yellow; Richard Morgan 80', Dylan Williams 81', Jack Jones 89'.

Haverfordwest: Lee Idzi, Bobby Briers, Damon Searle (Robbie Walters 64'),
Kyle Graves, Jamie Grimes, Terry Evans, Paul Michael, Jamie Bradford,
Steffan Williams, Jack Christopher, Jarrod Price. Subs unused: Lee Bevan,
Ricky Watts.

Referee: Wayne Tregonning.		Attendance: 142.

Gareth Williams

Welsh Premier League Cup Group 3   -Tuesday, October 6th

Caersws ... 1		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Chris Melia 14'		Chris Jones 35'

Porthmadog did just enough and secured the draw they needed to gain a place
in the quarter final stage of the competition. Though they finished on 7
points, the same as that gained by Connah's Quay, superior goal difference
gives them top spot in the group. In atrocious weather conditions both sides
played well in patches and overall a draw was probably a fair result on the

Caersws started the better and applied the early pressure with Prosser
having a good shooting chance after 5 minutes but it was well blocked. But
after 14 minutes the home side went ahead when Simon Jones lofted a free
kick into the box where Melia reacted well to score from close range. But
going behind provoked an early response and after 17 minutes an excellent
Gareth Parry through ball put Chris Jones in behind the home defence but the
winger chose to cross when a shot might have been the better option. Chris
Jones a few minutes later broke through on the left but his shot was blocked
for a corner. With Port now enjoying a good patch Paul Roberts fired low
into the side netting. But Richard Morgan needed to be alert when Simon
Jones fired a free kick which the keeper saved well but the rebound had to
be scrambled away for a corner. Port levelled the scores on 35 minutes when
a long kick out of defence was flicked on by Paul Roberts for Chris Jones,
who raced into the box and this time made no mistake with a low shot from 15
yards. Just before the interval home keeper Dave Jones saved at the expense
of a corner when Chris Jones, continuing his outstanding run of recent form,
unleashed a shot from 20 yards.

Port had the early chances in the second period Marc Evans was foiled by
keeper Dave Jones when well placed and Chris Jones and Gareth Parry also had
good efforts saved by the keeper. But just after the hour mark Caersws could
have gone ahead when a good home move put Prosser through, and it needed a
point blank save from Richard Morgan to keep the scores level. With
conditions getting increasingly difficult Richard Morgan was called on again
after 70 minutes to make another vital save diving at the feet of Scott
Williams to avert another good scoring opportunity. It was now Caersws's
turn to be in the driving seat and Gareth Mansell had an opportunity but his
shot was off target. Late on Port came again and Paul Roberts fired from the
edge of the box but the keeper saved well and Dave Jones did well again to
foil Marc Evans, saving with his legs. But there were to be no additions to
the score during the second period and though they had to survive a few
hairy moments the draw was enough for Port to progress to the quarter
On the downside for Port, working with a small squad, was the injury to Mike
Thompson during the first half. 

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Jack Jones, Mark Gornall( Ceri James 79'), Euron
Roberts, Mike Foster, Gareth Parry, Dan Pyrs, Chris Jones, Paul Roberts,
Marc Evans, Mike Thompson(John Keegan 14'). Sub not used: Stefano

Caersws: Dave Jones, Dan Williams, Matt Holt, Taylor, Simon Jones, Scott
Williams, Dave Hughes, Mansell, Prosser, Melia, Geraint Lewis. Subs: Hugh
Clarke, L Williams, M Griffiths, K Williams. 

Referee: Wayne Stephens.      

Welsh Cup Round 2		-Saturday, October 3rd

CPD Penrhyncoch ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
			Chris Jones 84'

Chris Jones' winner, six minutes from time, secured Porthmadog's entry into
the draw for the 3rd round and ended a nail biting time for the strong
contingent of travelling supporters. Porthmadog deserved the late winner for
a second half in which they created the better chances and were largely in
control. Neither keeper was seriously tested, apart from the goal. But in a
poor first half, where the strong wind ruled the roost; the home side came
closest to scoring. A low cross from Morris, following his break down the
left flank eluded the desperate efforts of attackers to apply a final touch.

Early on Paul Roberts for Port had a header off target and Marc Evans had a
shot deflected for a corner. But after 12 minutes Penrhyncoch could have
taken the lead when Morris made his break down the left. Five minutes later
Wilkins fired well over after a quick counterattack. Neither side got to
grips with the conditions with a swirling wind making control difficult and
with both sides persisting with the aerial route few worthwhile chances were
created at either end. Apart from taking goal kicks neither keeper was
called to take any serious action.

The wind dropped considerably by the second half and, for the first time
supporters were treated to some passing on what was a good playing surface.
10 minutes into the half it needed a well timed Edwards tackle to halt Marc
Evans who came more and more into the game for Port in the second period.
Evans could have opened the scoring on 56 minutes when he ran on to well
judged through ball from Dan Pyrs. The striker was unlucky to see the ball
go narrowly over the cross bar as he chipped the ball over the advancing
Hughes. Marc Evans then turned creator as he put Mike Thompson in behind the
home side's defence but the winger's shot curled outside the upright. The
best opportunity for Penrhyncoch in this period was via a free kick on the
edge of the box which was lifted over the bar by Wilkins. Port continued to
apply the pressure and create the better chances with Gareth Parry after 72
minutes getting his head to a Gornall cross but failing to direct it away
from the keeper. With time running out Aden Shannon was introduced and only
three minutes after coming on he created the winner with a superb pass which
released Chris Jones down the right. The winger cut inside and fired low
across keeper Llew Hughes and it was a mighty relief for Port players and
supporters to see it nestle in the corner of the net. In injury time Shannon
could have scored himself, but failed to get sufficient power on his header
to convert Mike Thompson's dangerous cross.

It was more relief than elation for Port players and supporters to return
from mid-Wales with a win in a game which was the pundit's favoured
potential banana skin. With neither central defender available full backs
Mike Foster and Euron Roberts moved inside and looked anything but emergency
cover. Jack Jones and Mark Gornall covered well at full back also, helping
to provide the clean sheet that made a single goal enough for the all
important win.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Jack Jones, Mark Gornall, Euron Roberts, Mike
Foster, Gareth Parry (Aden Shannon 81'), Dan Pyrs, Chris Jones, Paul
Roberts, Marc Evans, Mike Thompson. Subs not used: Stefano Antoniazzi, Dylan
Williams. Yellow: Mike Foster 79'.

Penryhyncoch: Llew Hughes, Mark Egan, Matthew Evans, Llyr Hughes, Elwyn
Edwards, Gari Lewis, Sion Jones(Ross March 81'), Chris Wilkins, Ashley
Stephens, Mark Cook (Richard Evans 62), J Morris. Subs not used: Steve
Jones, Andrew Drakely, S Flint.

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 26th

Rhyl FC ... 4		CPD Porthmadog ...0
Mark Connolly 46' 
70' 72'.
Tyrone Kirk 90'

Porthmadog will be disappointed at the margin of the defeat after holding
the league leaders to a goaless first half. It was a half where Port matched
the champions for long periods. But a minute into the second period they
conceded a soft goal and then two goals in two minutes midway through the
half -including a penalty and a sending off- sealed Porthmadog's fate.

Port started brightly and in the first minute a useful looking shot by Ceri
James was deflected for a corner. Two minutes later and Port could have gone
ahead when Mike Thompson was put through into the box on the right but his
attempted chip was headed clear by Greg Stones. Port built up well from the
back with Dan Pyrs finding a lot of space in midfield. He and Ceri James
provided Chris Jones and Mike Thompson with a good quality service. Chris
Jones cutting in from the left fired a low shot only inches past Coates'
near post. Gradually the home started to stamp their authority and Tyrone
Kirk cut in from the left firing across Richard Morgan but the keeper got a
hand to it turning it round the post. But Port were still well in the game
and Paul Roberts headed a Thompson cross inches over the home bar. Midway
through the half Rhyl forced a series of corners and Port, with Ryan Davies
back to his best, did well to survive. Mattie Williams should have done
better for Rhyl when he found himself in space on the left of the box but
screwed his shot wide. Similarly Tyrone Kirk who shot straight at Richard
Morgan when well placed. It was scoreless at the end of the half.

Only a minute into the second half the visitors spoiled their excellent
opening half performance by conceding a soft goal, Tyrone Kirk found space
on the right crossing towards the far post where Connolly raced in to score
from close range. Not the start Tomi Morgan would have wanted but to their
credit Port continued to play a neat passing brand of football and when a
Chris Jones cross found Paul Roberts in the box a good Horan block was
needed to prevent a score. Marc Evans looked dangerous when he came on for
Paul Roberts. But the home side now upped the pressure and it took a fine
Morgan save, diving to his left, to keep out a well struck shot by Tyrone
Kirk. Disaster struck for Port midway through the half with goals conceded
on 70 and 72 minutes which meant the game was over. A cross again undid the
Port defence this time it was Chris Williams from the left and a glancing
Mark Connolly header sent the ball beyond Morgan's outstretched hand. Before
Port could recover composure the industrious Mark Connolly got behind John
Keegan and the defender pulled him down. Keegan saw red and Connolly
completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Down to ten men and three
goals down to their credit Port stuck to their task and will count
themselves unlucky to have conceded a 4th goal in injury time when the
dangerous Tyrone Kirk cut in from the left and fired past Richard Morgan.

Rhyl undoubtedly deserved their victory but the margin was probably not a
true reflection of the play on the day. Tomi Morgan will take heart from a
good first half performance both in the pressure applied and the quality of
the build-up play.

Porthmadog; Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, John
Keegan, Dan Pyrs, Ceri James (Gareth Parry 65'), Chris Jones, Paul Roberts
(Marc Evans 65'), Aden Shannon (Mark Gornall 75'), Mike Thompson. Red: John
Keegan 71'. Yellow: Mike Thompson 42'.

Rhyl: Coates, Dowling, Stones, Horan, Strong, Leah, Chris Williams (Cameron
81'), Gareth Owen (Phil Doran 66'), Connelly, Mattie Williams (Paul Smith
58'), Kirk. Sub not used: Paul Pritchard (gk).

Referee: Dean John		Attendance 418.

Gareth Williams 

Welsh Premier League Cup	-Tuesday, September 23rd

CPD Porthmadog ... 4		Gap Connah's Quay ... 0
Aden Shannon '8
Mark Gornall '12
Mike Thompson '75
Aden Shannon '89

Two goals in each half gave Port a sizable victory that will restore
confidence to the side, and halt Connah's Quay's march to the next round of
the League Cup.

Port started brightly and it only took 8 minutes for them to take the lead
with Aden Shannon heading home from a Ceri James looping cross for his first
Port goal in his first start for the club. Within minutes, Port's lead was
extended after a Craig Jones foul on Aden Shannon on the side of the box.
The resulting free kick was converted superbly by Mark Gornall who hammered
a left-footer into the top corner, leaving Ben Alston with no chance in goal
for Connah's Quay. The visitors' best spell came mid-way through the half,
but they failed to put Richard Morgan under any real pressure. Port
continued to have the upper hand and seemed to have extended their lead on
the half-hour mark, but Mike Thompson's goal was disallowed for off-side.
Further chances came Port's way before half time, most notably for Paul
Roberts, Mike Thompson and Marc Evans. As the half drew to a close, Connah's
Quay had their own disallowed goal, when an off-side decision was given
against Sam McNutt. In the very last minute of the half, Richard Morgan was
forced to make a great save from Danny Ford shot that was probably the
Quay's best chance of the game.

Port remained in control after the interval, with Chris Jones, Marc Evans
and Aden Shannon looking very dangerous for the majority of the half. It was
hardly surprising when Port extended their lead on 75 minutes, with Mike
Thompson's corner squeezing home off the keeper for his first goal in Port
colours. The best efforts for the visitors in the second half fell to Mike
Hayes, Sam McNutt and Danny Forde who forced Richard Morgan to make a good
save on 88 minutes. Aden Shannon made it 4 in the very last minute of normal
time, taking advantage of Ben Alston's failure to deal with a Mark Gornall
corner, scoring from close range to complete his brace.

With Port facing a difficult couple of games in the league against
front-runners Rhyl and TNS, this league cup encounter gave Tomi's side some
much needed self-belief that will prove vital if they are to have any chance
of troubling the big boys. Though Connah's Quay were forced to play
out-field player Ben Alston in goal, this win will come as a great relief
for home supporters.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Jack Jones, Mark Gornall, Euron Roberts, Ryan
Davies, Ceri James, Chris Jones, Aden Shannon (Meilir Elis '88), Paul
Roberts, Marc Evans, Mike Thompson (Cai Jones '82).
Subs not used: Dan Pyrs, Mike Foster. Yellow: Ceri James, Mike Thompson.

Connah's Quay: Ben Alston, Tom Baker (Andrew Olson '70), Tom Price, Mark
McGregor (Alan Hooley '64), Andy Alston, Craig Jones, Jamie Petrie, Danny
Forde, Chris Herbert, Mike Hayes, Sam McNutt.
Subs not used: Wes Kilgannon. Yellow: Andy Alston, Craig Jones.

Referee: Carmelo LoFaro 

Attendance: 136

Iwan Gareth.

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Sunday, September 20th

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Llanelli FC ... 4
					Andy Legg 35
					Chris Holloway 47
					Rhys Griffiths 69,87

There was not to be a dream result to celebrate the Porthmadog club's 125th
anniversary reunion. A good first half performance by the home side
restricted the visitors to one goal and that a perfectly struck 25 yarder by
player-manager Andy Legg. But a defensive mix-up 2 minutes into the second
half, from which Llanelli scored their second, more or less settled the game
and from then on in Llanelli were very much in charge retaining possession
for long periods and two further goals from Rhys Griffiths wrapped up a
convincing victory. 
Only four minutes into the game Port fashioned a rare opportunity for
themselves, when a Dan Pyrs pass put Paul Roberts in between two defenders.
The striker controlled well but ballooned his shot well wide. Soon after
dangerman Rhys Griffiths tested Richard Morgan with a strike from 18 yards
but the Port keeper saved well pushing the ball way for a corner. Though
Llanelli were enjoying more of the possession the Port defence were coping
well and Morgan wasn't tested again until the 35th minute. Influential
Llanelli player-manager, Andy Legg, latched on to a partial clearance and
found the space to open the scoring with a strike from 25 yards which gave
Richard Morgan no chance. Just before half-time Port forced a corner on the
right but Chris Jones' header went past the post.
But having contained Llanelli reasonably well in the opening period the home
side spoiled all their hard work by conceding a totally unnecessary goal
thanks to a defensive mix-up between Richard Morgan and his central
defenders with the ball running free to Chris Holloway who took full
advantage lobbing into the unguarded goal. Llanelli took charge now and
Craig Moses could have added a third when well placed from a Corbisero
cross. Port now rang the changes introducing strikers Marc Evans and Aden
Shannon. But in the 69th minute the third goal came when Warlow broke down
the left coming inside along the bye-line to cut the ball back for Rhys
Griffiths. The striker made no mistake with a low shot from 15 yards. Moses
came close with a header before Rhys Griffiths got away from his marker to
tap in a fine Frater cross for his second and Llanelli's fourth. In injury
time a good save by Richard Morgan denied Griffiths his hat trick.
Playing the top three is never easy and once such teams get their noses in
front it becomes an uphill struggle. This is how it happened today and once
Llanelli won the space to play, a difficult task became impossible.

Porthmadog; Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, John
Keegan, Ceri James, Mark Gornall (Aden Shannon 64'), Dan Pyrs, Chris Jones,
Paul Roberts (Marc Evans 64'), Mike Thompson (Jack Jones 83'). Sub not used:
Cai Jones. Yellow: Ceri James 18', Ryan Davies 38'.

Llanelli: Ashley Morris, Steve Jenkins, Legg, Mumford, Stuart Jones,
Venables, Moses (Craig Jones 75'), Corbisiero, Rhys Griffiths, Holloway
(Howard 83'), Warlow (Frater 73'). Subs not used; Lee Phillips, Ray Batley.
Yellow: Rhys Griffiths 29')

Referee: AP Harms.		Attendance: 313.  

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Friday, September 11th

Elements Cefn Druids ... 1		CPD Porthmadog... 0
Dan Barnett 20'

A Dan Barnett goal 20 minutes into the game proved enough to secure the
Druids their first win and first points of the season. Port will rue the
missed chances in a second period, which they totally dominated, especially
two simple tap-ins missed by proven WPL goal scorers. The Druids however
rode the storm and showed their character as they held on to secure the

Porthmadog started strongest and won a couple of early free kicks in
dangerous positions but these came to nothing. Gradually the Druids came
more into a game which offered little or no quality for the small crowd. The
visitors by and large played into the hands of the home team resorting to
long balls which were meat and drink for the home defence and hardly the
type of service which front men Paul Roberts and Marc Evans needed. Druids
forced two corners in quick succession and Tom Rowlands' good delivery was a
warning of what was to come. With 20 minutes gone the winger drove another
corner into the centre of the goalmouth and Barnett rose well to send a
glancing header into the right hand corner of Richard Morgan's goal. This
apart neither keeper had much to do in the first half. There were a couple
of long range efforts from Prochenka which went wide of the target while for
Port there were a couple of dangerous breaks down the left hand side. From
the first of these Marc Evans cut past the full back and his cross was met
by Paul Roberts whose header went wide of the post. The Mike Thompson
tricked his way past two defenders but his low cross was scrambled away for
a corner.
Port started the second period with a bang and in the first minute looked
certain to level the scores from what was the best move of the match.
Thompson threaded the ball through for Marc Evans, who in turn squared the
ball to the unmarked Paul Roberts, for what appeared to be the simplest of
tap-ins, but somehow, when it seemed easier to score than miss, the prolific
goal scorer stabbed his shot wide of the post. Port continued to dominate
and the chances came but with no-one able to provide the finishing touch.
Next Marc Evans half-hit his shot just past the post after 50 minutes.
Keeper Rob Thomas got down well to keep out Chris Jones's angled shot and
Paul Roberts rose at the back post to meet a good Thompson cross but failed
to hit the target. Chris Jones then outpaced the home defence down the right
and crossed to the far post where Mike Thompson haring at the back post but
only managed to strike the ball into the side netting. With 8 minutes of
normal time left came the second of those chances that are easier to score
than miss. This time the culprit was regular scorer Aden Shannon who
received from Paul Roberts and, from point blank range with only the keeper
to beat, put his shot weakly past the post.
Meanwhile Richard Morgan was a virtual second half spectator in the Port
goal, having only to deal with a couple of long range efforts. One coming
from Prochenka after 52 minutes and another from sub Craig Whitfield in the
85th minute both of which he had to touch over the bar. Port will be left to
ponder why they stuck to such inept high ball tactics in the first half and
in the second how such domination was not turned into goals. Cefn will worry
little about that as they rode their luck at times but had the character to
battle their way to three points.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, John
Keegan, Gareth Parry (Ceri James 70'), Dan Pyrs, Chris Jones, Paul Roberts,
Marc Evans (Aden Shannon 70'), Mike Thompson. Sub not used: Mark Gornall.
Yellow: Mike Thompson 35' John Keegan 90'. 

Cefn: Rob Thomas, Bamber, Aled Rowlands, Wayne Phillips (John Russell 58'),
Barnett, Hesp, Tom Rowlands, Josh Griffiths, Jon Rush (Maloney 74'),
Penlington, Prochenka (Whitfield 65'). Yellow: Jon Rush 38' Gary Penlington
51', Aled Rowlands 73' Gerard Maloney 90'.

Referee: Lee Evans (Llanllechid)		Attendance: 178.

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, September 5th

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Neath Athletic ... 4
Dan Pyrs 90'			Craig Steins 12'
				Chris Llewellyn 47'
				Stephen Pockett 59'
				Craig Steins 69'

By any measure this was a poor result for Porthmadog especially following on
the encouraging performances against Bala and Caersws. On the day they were
out muscled by a big, strong experienced Neath outfit. More than one of the
goals came as a result of defensive errors or wayward passes giving the ball
away in crucial areas. They were not helped either by some inconsistent
refereeing also including some very debateable decisions.

Both teams had good early chances with Marc Evans putting Mike Thompson
through on the left of the box but the winger screwed his finish across the
face of goal. Before there were 10 minutes on the clock a Chris Jones run
took him past two defenders but his excellent low cross, which should have
produced a goal, was scrambled clear. At the other end Richard Morgan
somehow kept out Steins' goal bound near post header. But with 12 minutes on
the clock the same player made up for his early miss turning John Keegan in
the box and firing low into the net from 12 yards. The visitors continued to
apply the pressure and with a stiff wind on their backs tested the home
defence with an aerial bombardment which the Port defence in the opening
half did well to withstand. Steins fired an angled shot which Morgan touched
for a corner and another shot by the same player took a deflection but
Morgan again saved well. Towards the end of the half the home side had their
best period stringing some useful passes together and forcing several
corners. Their best chances in this period came via a Mike Thompson free
kick which keeper Williams needed a second bite before completing the save.
A good move down he right and a deep Chris Jones cross found Paul Roberts
who's half hit shot took a bounce over the bar. 

The second half opened with Port on the attack and Mike Thompson let fly a
shot on the turn which went across the face of goal. A minute later Neath
scored a crucial second goal when Chris Llewellyn won the ball in tackle
with Eifion Jones and with Port appealing for foul the forward ran on
unopposed to score from 15 yards. Gareth Parry had the opportunity to pull
one back but his drive from the edge of the box went over thee bar. Just
before the hour mark was reached the game was put out of the reach of
Porthmadog when the ball was given away in midfield and Pockett latched on
to a downward header in the box to fire past Richard Morgan for the third
goal. It was now over as a contest and when a free kick was awarded,
following what appeared to be a dive and with Port still making their
feelings felt, the referee controversially allowed the free kick to be taken
quickly and Steins took full advantage to score his second. Port did get a
consolation goal at the end when Chris Jones and Paul Roberts combined well
to create the opening for Dan Pyrs to score his first WPL goal.

Following two clean sheets this first defeat of the season was a big
disappointment but there were some pluses, however, with Chris Jones
continuing his excellent early form and newcomers Euron Roberts and Marc
Evans again confirming their promise.

Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Eifion Jones, John Keegan,
Gareth Parry, Ceri James( Mark Gornall 73'), Paul Roberts, Chris Jones, Marc
Evans, Mike Thompson (Dan Pyrs 63'). Sub not used: Aden Shannon. Yellow:
Ceri James 51'.

Neath Athletic: Anthony Williams, Castan, Smithman( Hillier 71'), 


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us