CPD Porthmadog FC
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dīm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Port Talbot (a) | Cei Conna / Connah's Quay (h) | TNS (h) | Bangor (a) | Bala (h) | Castell Nedd / Neath (a) |

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier -Saturday, January 23rd

Neath Athletic ... 3	 	CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Chris Jones 11,39,42(p)	Marcus Orlik 48
			Rob Folland(og) 77.

A brave second half Port fight back was not enough to deny Neath the three
points which came thanks to a fine first half hat trick by Chris Jones the
on loan forward from Grimsby Town.

Despite enjoying more than their share of the play in opening half and
holding a territorial advantage Port found themselves three goals down at
the interval with the game virtually over. The difference between the two
sides was the impressive play and clinical finishing of Chris Jones. He
scored his opener in what was Neath's first real attack of the game. Ryan
Davies for Port failed to cut out a long ball from the back and this was
immediately latched on to by Chris Jones who controlled well and raced into
the box scoring with a well placed low shot wide of Richard Morgan's right
hand. Port continued to enjoy good periods of possession and a Andy Evans
header went over the bar and when Marcus Orlik crossed from the right the
home defence was glad to concede a corner under pressure from Andy Evans.
The second and third home goals came near the end of the first half. An
exchange of passes down the left took Kristian James to the by-line but when
Richard Morgan raced out from his goal referee Wayne Tregonning adjudged
that James had been brought down and awarded the penalty. Chris Jones added
his second of the afternoon from the spot. Three minutes later and the home
side's third goal came and again it was counter attack after a Port corner.
A long ball found Chris Jones in a central position and he burst between two
defenders and from the edge of the box fired low past Morgan. In between
these two goals came Port's best effort on goal when Gareth Parry burst from
midfield and fired powerfully from 20 yards but into the side netting.

From the start of the second period Port looked much sharper and when Marcus
Orlik scored two minutes into the half it was apparent that Port had more
than damage limitation on their minds. Marcus broke down the left getting
behind the defence before cutting inside and then beating the advancing
Walters with a curling right foot shot just inside the far post. Suddenly
Port started winning the 50/50 balls and Neath found themselves under
pressure. Another break by Orlik stretched the defence as he whipped a low
ball across the face of goal which only needed the slightest of touches.
Walters in the Neath goal found himself under far more pressure and three
times he did well coming off his line through a crowded box, to gather twice
and punch away once, dangerous right wing crosses from Port's Chris Jones.
Richard Morgan also found himself in action, as the game became very
competitive, pulling off a good save down to his left from Andy Hill and
Craig Steins' angled shot flew across the face of goal and wide. But with 77
minutes gone Port pulled another goal back. An attempted clearance of a
Marcus Orlik cross took a ricochet back into the 6 yard box and under
pressure, from Gareth Parry and Andy Evans, Rob Folland put through his own
goal. With time running out both sides came close to scoring again with
Morgan saving from Llewellyn and then a point blank save from Steins. At the
other end, after a well worked Port move, Robert Evans crossed low into the
goalmouth, inviting a touch and Meilir Ellis the youth keeper, who was
forced into action as an outfield player, was within a whisker of crowning a
heroic performance with a goal. But in the end the fight back fell just
short of forcing an unlikely draw -but the home side were mightily relieved
to hear the final whistle.

Regrettably it's another hard luck story and a pity Mike Foster could not
have celebrated his 400th WPL game with a win.

Port: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts (Huw Owens 40')(Meilir Ellis 52'), Mike
Foster, John Keegan, Ryan Davies, Dan Pyrs, Gareth Parry, Robert Evans,
Chris Jones, Andy Evans, Marcus Orlik. Yellow: Ryan Davies 60', Richard
Morgan 87'. 

Neath Walters, Castan, Kristian James (Howard 47'), Folland, Hancock, Cooper
(Pockett 70'), Ingram, Steins, Chris Llewellyn, Hill, Chris Jones. Subs not
used: Hillier, Ashley Evans.

Referee; Wayne Tregonning		Attendance: 170          

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier	-Saturday, 16 January

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Bala ... 2
			Warren Duckett 2'
			Ricky Evans 54'

An excellent Bala goal after only two minutes was not the start Porthmadog
would have wished for as football made its reappearance at the Traeth
following the enforced winter break. Though they recovered their composure
and more than held their own for the remainder of the half a superb Ricky
Evans free kick, 10 minutes after the restart, seemed to snuff out the hope
of a home revival. This in a game which lacked the fire usually associated
with derby matches. Indeed it is hard to recall more than one serious save
by either keeper in the entire 90 minutes.

The visitors were off to a flying start and in the first minute Ricky Evans
gave notice of the part he intended to play in the game when his fierce
drive from 15 yards took a deflection for a corner. The pressure on the home
goal continued and in the 3rd minute Ricky Evans, at the back post, headed
John Irving's cross back into the danger area and Warren Duckett volleyed
past Richard Morgan to open the scoring. Despite the setback Port gradually
got themselves back into the game with Gareth Parry firing wide after a good
build-up and soon after Chris Jones lifted a shot on to the roof of the net
and later had a shot turned round the post for a corner. Andy Evans, looking
a threat on his debut winning a lot of ball in the air, headed a Chris Jones
corner over the bar. With a quarter of an hour gone Bimpson was glad to
scramble the ball away under pressure from Andy Evans at his back post. Bala
at this stage were happy to hold on to their early lead and a Jeffries
header over the bar provided a rare threat in the home box. As the half drew
to a close a good run and cross by Euron Roberts was diverted for a corner,
Aden Shannon in space fired wide from 20 yards and Bimpson had to punch away
a dangerous Andy Evans cross. But the elusive equaliser refused to come.

Four minutes into the second half Port came close to levelling the score
when Andy Evans released Chris Jones on the right of the box and Bimpson did
well to push a powerful point blank effort over the bar. But the hoped for
revival took a blow when Euron Roberts was unlucky with an unexpected bounce
of the ball striking him on the hand. Ricky Evans took full advantage
curling a superb 54th minute free kick, from the edge of the box, into the
top corner of the net. Following the goal Bala used their experience to
control the game for long periods though rarely threatening to add to the
score. The game was now played out in midfield with Bala happy to do so as
Port were unable to wrest control away from them. A burst into the box by
Aden Shannon raised hopes again but as he made to shoot he was felled but
referee Mike Jones waved play on despite loud appeals by the home team. With
time running out Andy Evans saw his header from 10 yards go over the bar
from an Euron Roberts cross and Evans again headed straight at Bimpson when
Jack Jones crossed from the left. 

Andy Evans on this showing will greatly increase options at the front but he
will need more support from midfield where Ceri James was badly missed. This
was the 12th time where Port have failed to find the net this season.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, John
Keegan, Dan Pyrs, Gareth Parry (Steven Jones 81'), Chris Jones (Dylan
Williams 88'), Andy Evans, Aden Shannon, Marcus Orlik (Jack Jones 75').

Bala: Bimpson, Powell, Steve Fisher, Jeffries, Jellicoe, Danny Williams,
Duckett (M Harris 90'), Irving (Thompson 46'), Toner (N Fisher 85'), Ricky
Evans, Gethin Lloyd. Sub: Guto Ifan (y)

Referee: M A Jones			Attendance: 276       

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier 	-Sunday, December 27

Bangor ... 2		Porthmadog ... 0
Jamie Reed 25 90

For 65 minutes a single goal separated the two sides in a close encounter
until Jamie Reed's added time shot took a big deflection giving him his
second goal and for the first time in the afternoon home supporters were
able to give a huge sigh of relief as the points were safe at last. This
goal came at a time where Port were putting the Bangor defence under late
pressure striving for an equaliser which their overall play thoroughly
deserved. But in the end Port were undone by their lack of firepower and
that despite creating, possibly, more chances than their opponents.

Bangor looked the more dangerous team at the start forcing several early
free kicks and corners which were scrambled clear but when Stott crossed
well Sharp fired over the bar. Gradually Port gained a foothold in the game
with Dan Pyrs a danger down the right. The chances began to appear and Paul
Smith in the home goal was forced to turn a Gareth Parry shot round the post
for a corner and when Euron Roberts crossed from the right Ryan Davies'
header flew wide of the post. Ceri James then tested Smith again, with a
cracking shot from 18 yards but straight at the keeper. Then just as Port
appeared to be getting the upper hand Bangor struck with a counterattack
down the left before a long cross to the far post caught out the visitors
defence allowing Swanick to play a low ball into the path of Jamie Reed who
had a relatively simple task, tapping in from close range. But after the
goal Port continued to enjoy the better of the exchanges with a couple of
efforts from Aden Shannon going over the bar and a good run by Chris Jones
firing over the bar when he perhaps should have looked for a pass. Chris
Jones threatened again a few minutes before the interval when he went past a
couple of defenders before drawing a good save from Smith at his near post.
But at the interval Bangor held on to their single goal advantage.

Bangor started well again in the second half forcing several corners and
Richard Morgan had to save well a powerful shot from Stott who together with
Reed provided the greatest threat to the Port defence. But once again the
visitors got back into the game with sub Marc Evans looking dangerous and
testing the defence with his strong runs firing over the bar and causing
panic in the home defence with another run and a low cross. The nearest Port
came to drawing level was from Aden Shannon's 75 minute free kick from 25
yards out. The shot looked goal bound but Smith did well to touch the shot
aimed for his top right hand corner over the bar. With 10 minutes left
Bangor upped the pressure looking for the goal which would make the game
safe and the Port defence had their moments of panic seeming unwilling to do
the simple thing to clear their lines. But with only one goal in it Port
still showed the belief that they could get the point their play deserved
and this nearly came about when Marc Gornall whipped a fine cross from the
left but Aden Shannon in space at the back post failed to connect and a
final opportunity was lost. Deep into injury time Jamie Reed cut in from the
left and for once he wasn't closed down quickly enough and he used the space
to fire a shot from 18 yards which took a deflection giving Richard Morgan
no chance. Finally a tight derby game was over, and even the most ardent
Bangor supporter will feel that all 3 points were more than they deserved on
the afternoon's play.
Hard luck stories give you no points and Tomi Morgan will be well aware of
the need to bring in someone who can provide the physical and goal scoring
threat needed before the return contest on January 2nd. Bangor continue
their move up the table but on the day will be more than grateful to their
central defenders Brewerton and Johnson for their solid performances at the
heart of the defence.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster (Jack Jones 81'),
Ryan Davies, John Keegan, Gareth Parry, Dan Pyrs, Ceri James (Marc Gornall
63,), Mike Thompson (Marc Evans 46'), Aden Shannon, Chris Jones. Yellow:
Mike Foster 46'. Subs not used: Dylan Williams (y), Meilir Ellis (gk y).

Bangor: Paul Smith, Swanick (Clive Williams 50'), Chris Roberts, Michael Johnson,
Brewerton, Morley, Reed, Hoy Garside 46'), Sharp, Stott, Sion Edwards (Marc Limbert 65'). 
Yellow: Chris Sharp 37'. Subs not used: Mark Smyth, John Owen.

Referee: Kevin Parry		Attendance: 678 

Principality Building Society, Welsh Premier 	-Tuesday, December 15

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		TNS ... 1
Aden Shannon 64'(p)		Jamie Wood 21'

Those who suddenly found they had an alternative appointment in expectation
of an avalanche of goals against Port will, on reflection, 'count themselves
accursed they were not here.' Port gave a heart warming performance which
went some way to remove Saturday's miserable game and miserable performance
from the collective memory. This game in fact went the way of games between
the two clubs at the Traeth over several seasons with another tight
scoreline at the end of the 90 minutes. As expected TNS dominated the
possession and the game was played mainly in the Porthmadog half of the
field but, in injury time, Marc Evans went close to snatching all three
points for Port when he rounded a defender and it needed a last ditch dive
at the forward's feet by keeper Harrison to avert an even greater shock. 

TNS were in control from the start playing their attractive possession
football, but with Port intent on closing down in midfield there were few
early shooting opportunities though Berkeley headed Seargeant's deep free
kick into the side netting. But with 21 minutes gone Chris Seargeant played
an angled ball into the Port box for Jamie Wood to race on to and open the
scoring with a superb volley. The visitors continued to dominate but the
well organised Port defence curbed any ideas of a rout. Abbot did have a
heading opportunity which flew wide and similarly Seargeant failed to hit
the target from a good cross by Abbott. Meanwhile Port made few sorties into
the TNS half but just before half time Marc Gornall whipped a dangerous
cross into the TNS goalmouth marginally beyond Shannon and Chris Jones who
were racing in. Half-time was reached with TNS having only the single goal
to show for all their possession.

The second half continued much as the first with a 50th minute Abbott shot
straight at Richard Morgan and a Steve Evans header wide of the mark being
their only early efforts on goal. Then TNS were punished for their failure
to turn possession into goals. Chris Jones who had run at the TNS defence on
a couple of occasions raced down the right and cut into the box and when he
deceived and threatened to round Chris Marriott the defender responded by
barging him to the ground. Referee Markham-Jones pointed to the spot and
Aden Shannon placed the ball wide of Harrison to level the scores and record
the first goal conceded by the Saints for 9 games. This spurred the visitors
into more urgent attack and Marc Gornall at the back post did well to clear
a Wood cross. But the goal had also given Port the hope of more than an
unlikely draw as Shannon found Chris Jones with a fine angled ball but the
forward's shot slipped past the post. With time running out TNS piled on the
pressure and Richard Morgan pulled off a diving save to keep out Craig
Williams' well struck free kick. TNS became increasingly desperate in their
search for the goal to send them back on top of the table and the Port
defence had to negotiate a few hairy moments. There were a couple of last
ditch headers and one in particular from Jack Jones off the line. With a
couple of minutes left Wood found Craig Williams but the shot was off
target. With the 4th official showing 5 minutes of injury time home
supporters feared the worst but the tension was having more effect on the
visitors with Phil Baker receiving his marching orders as desperation took
its toll.

This was a great team performance with all 13 players on view playing their
heroic part in a great result. Let's hope now that we start realising that
the same number of points are available when we play Newtown!

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Jack Jones, Mike Foster, Euron Roberts, Gareth
Parry, John Keegan, Chris Jones, Ceri James, Aden Shannon, Marc Gornall (
Marc Evans 73'), Mike Thompson (Danny Rylance 88'). Subs not used: Dylan
Williams, Meilir Ellis (gk. y). Yellow: Mike Foster 19'John Keegan 80'.

TNS: Harrison, Danny Holmes, Marriott, Baker, Steve Evans, Hogan, Tommy
Holmes (Darlington 73'), Wood, Abbott (Craig Williams 73'), Seargeant,
Berkeley. Sub not used Ryan Marriott. Red: Phil Baker 90',Yellow: Chris Marriott 63' Barry Hogan 76', Jamie Wood 87'. 

Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones		Attendance: 162.

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier 	-Saturday, 12th December

Porthmadog ... 0		Connah's Quay ... 1
			Mike Hayes 19'

This was a close contest played out mainly in midfield with neither side
establishing control. In the event, in a game of few chances, a Mike Hayes
goal after 20 minutes was enough to allow the Nomads to grind out all three
points. Porthmadog, though they will feel that they did enough to deserve a
share of the spoils, failed to find the net for the third successive game
and slumped to a second consecutive home defeat by a single goal. The fact
that Port played for the last half hour with 10 men after Paul Roberts
received a straight red card from referee Dean John did not assist their

The early play did little to entertain the small crowd with any flow being
broken up by numerous free kicks which largely came to nothing. Stuart
Schuber, for the visitors, provided the first threat on goal after 13
minutes but found his way blocked by keeper Richard Morgan at the near post.
But after 20 minutes had gone the Nomads forced a corner down the right.
Alan Glover lifted the corner to the near post but the Port defence failed
to clear their lines and the ball dropped kindly for Mike Hayes who drilled
the ball into the net from 10 yards. Play continued mainly in midfield with
neither keeper called into action except to deal with free kicks pumped into
the box. From one of these, by Marc Gornall, Port worked their first real
shot at goal but Ryan Davies fired across the face of goal and wide. Just
past the half hour mark Gareth Parry slipped the ball to Ceri James on the
edge of the box but the well struck shot flew narrowly over the bar. Then on
the stroke of half time Port should have gained the parity which they
deserved but Aden Shannon spurned the simplest of chances. It came when
McCormick could only parry away a low shot from Chris Jones into the path of
Shannon 4 yards out, but the usually capable goalscorer pushed it straight
into the hands of a relieved keeper.

Following more free kicks another offence just short of the hour mark saw
Paul Roberts receive his marching orders and Port's task became even more
difficult. To their credit they produced some of their best football after
this, keeping possession well and penning the Nomads back for long periods.
Aden Shannon created a shooting chance for Ceri James slipping the ball to
him just inside the penalty area, but McCormick was down well to his right
to save. Then the hard working Dan Pyrs burst down the right finding Aden
Shannon at the near post but the striker fired into the side netting. The
Nomads, though happy to hold on to what they had were still threatening on
the break. With 78 minutes gone Hayes broke on the right cutting inside and
Richard Morgan needed to touch the ensuing shot over the bar. Morgan was
again in action late on to keep out Hooley and Macgregor also fired over the

This was a game where Port badly needed the three points to keep in touch
with mid table. So this was a considerable setback in a game where on the
balance of play they should have taken a share of the spoils.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Marc Gornall (Mike Thompson 72'),
Dan Pyrs, Ryan Davies, John Keegan, Chris Jones, Ceri James (Marc Evans
82'), Paul Roberts, Aden Shannon, Gareth Parry. Sub not used: Mike Foster,
Meilir Ellis (y). Red: Paul Roberts 59'. Yellow: Ceri James 36', Chris Jones

Connah's Quay: McCormick, Ben Alston, Glover, McGregor, Andy Alston, Craig
Jones, Petrie, Schuber (Hooley 82'), Herbert (McNutt 70'), Hayes (Cook 86').
Yellow; Schruber 29'.

Referee: Dean John.                    Attendance: 142

Gareth Williams

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier 	-Saturday, 12th December

Port Talbot Town ....5		CPD Porthmadog ....0
Neil Thomas 4'
Martin Rose 9', 57'
Scott Barrow 44'
Karl Lewis 65'

This was a game that Porthmadog would sooner forget as they were outplayed
by a Port Talbot team who controlled the game throughout. Before ten minutes
was showing on the clock the home team were two goals up, and with another
following on 44 minutes they had the game sewn up before the interval was
reached. They went on to add another two goals in the second period to
confirm their complete domination of the afternoon's proceedings. Without
Richard Morgan's heroics in the Porthmadog goal the margin of the defeat
would have been even greater.

When an early shooting opportunity for Mike Thompson was quickly snuffed out
by prompt defensive action, travelling supporters could hardly have imagined
that it would be another 30 minutes before their team would test Port Talbot
keeper Lee Kendall with any kind of shot again. In their first real attack
the home side took advantage of a misjudgement by Porthmadog skipper Ryan
Davies for Scott Barrow to race clear down the left, before dispatching an
accurate low cross which left Neil Thomas with only Richard Morgan to beat,
and this he did with a low shot from 8 yards. Port Talbot did not have to
wait long for their second after only 9 minutes when Martin Rose fastened on
to a throw-in down the left before cutting inside and from a narrow angle
fired a low 10 yard shot past Richard Morgan. Port Talbot continued to
dominate and John Keegan had to clear a Neil Thomas effort off his line and
Richard Morgan was required to pull off two fine saves, one a reflex save
down at his near post to keep out Rose and again, when Scott Barrow got in
behind the defence, the keeper needed to improvise and save well with his
legs. But with half-time approaching the killer third goal came. A short
corner on the right by Scott Barrow was played to Lee John who returned the
pass for the winger to race into the box and fire a low shot inside the near

The second half continued much as the first with Port Talbot controlling the
possession and when Porthmadog did get the ball they were closed down
quickly and forced into errors or hurried passes. With 12 minutes of the
second half gone Port Talbot claimed their 4th goal when the excellent Neil
Thomas further punished his former club, threading a ball through the
defence for Rose to race on to and score his second of the match with an
angled shot from 15 yards. When the 5th goal came after 65 minutes the
travelling support feared even worse was to follow. The fifth came from a
powerful low drive by Karl Lewis from 20 yards after a corner was only
partially cleared. The home side did not ease up and Rose came close with
another angled shot and Lewis was only a whisker away with a long range
effort. Richard Morgan continued to perform heroics racing off his line to
halt Barrow and then pulled off two saves in quick succession while in the
same attack Mark Gornall had to clear off his line. Porthmadog on the other
hand had few attacks to show for their endeavours though one attack,
following a good build up, freed Marc Evans down the left but Lee Kendall,
who had been little more than a spectator, got down well at his near post.

The only consolation is that the last five games at the GenQuip Stadium have
been won in alternate years by each club in turn. This year was Port
Talbot's turn and they certainly made sure of that! Port need to pick
themselves up quickly for a vital home game against Connah's Quay next

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster (Marc Gornall 64'),
Dan Pyrs, Ryan Davies, John Keegan, Chris Jones, Ceri James, Paul Roberts,
Mike Thompson (Marc Evans 49'), Gareth Parry (Jack Jones 71'). Sub not used:
Meilir Elis (gk. Y). Yellow: Euron Roberts 17'.

Port Talbot: Kendall, De-Vulgt (Fahiya 58'), Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis,
Matthew Rees, Bansor, Lee John (Holland 58'), Neil Thomas (Daniel Thomas
72'), Rose, Gareth Phillips, Barrow. 

Referee: Wayne Tregonning.		Attendance: 176. 

Gareth Williams  


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us