CPD Porthmadog FC

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Ail Dm / Reserves
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Airbus (a) | Caersws (a) | Port Talbot (a) | Rhyl (a) | Connah's Quay (a) | Llandyrnog [NC] |
| Llandudno [NC] |

North Wales Coast Challenge Cup Final	-Wednesday, May 19

CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Llandudno ... 0
Marcus Orlik 32.

For the third time in this competition Gareth Parry took the reigns as Tomi 
was away on Holiday. Although there were more first team regulars on show 
than in earlier rounds, it was good to see that players like Carl Threadgill, 
who’s played a huge part in this cup run, weren’t overlooked.

Port looked comfortable early on, and Llandudno possession was kept to a 
minimum throughout the majority of the first half. However, it was the north 
Wales coasters who had the first chance to open the scoring on 12 minutes when 
the ball fell to Gareth Evans in a goal-mouth scramble. The majority of Port’s 
threat came through Marcus Orlik. He came close to scoring with a header, a 
long range effort and Andy Rooney had to pull off a good save to deny him after 
an excellent solo run.

It seemed only a matter of time before Orlik would find the net, and the goal 
duly arrived after 32 minutes. Llandudno thought they’d managed to deal with a 
tricky Carl Threadgill corner, but they only managed to clear it as far as 
Marcus Orlik on the side of the box. His inch-perfect strike into the top 
corner, past Rooney, was one that would deserve to win any cup final.

Port continued to dominate possession for the remainder of the first half, 
which left their opponents frustrated. However, deep into injury time, Luke 
Carding was allowed to have a free header in the box, but to Port’s relief, 
he missed the target.

Llandudno started the second half on fire, and looked a very different team 
to the one we’d seen before the interval. Luke Carding was in the thick of 
the action for Tudno and in the opening minutes his header got the better of 
Richard Morgan, but not the post. Shortly afterwards, Richard Morgan had to 
leave the pitch injured, to be replaced by Meilir Elis. Elis was called into 
immediate action, and was up to the challenge, pulling off a good save to deny 

After ten minutes of domination by Llandudno, Port managed to drag themselves 
back into the match. But as soon as they’d done this, Ryan Davies was given 
his marching orders for a second bookable offence. For the remainder of the 
match, neither side quite managed to stamp their authority on proceedings 
with chances coming at both ends. Cai Jones did well after coming on, and 
created one of Port’s best chances to extend their lead with a cross to Chris 
Jones, whose header was only inches wide, coming off the side netting.

This match came in some kind of limbo for Port. It didn’t feel quite like the 
tail end of the 2009/10 season, with a month gone since the end of the league 
season, but it wasn’t pre-season either! The victory will provide some 
consolation at the end of another poor season, and Port can take heart in the 
fact that they’ve beaten one of the Cymru Alliance’s front runners.

Port: Richard Morgan (Meilir Elis), Euron Roberts, Ryan Davies, Dan Pyrs, 
Dylan Williams, Chris Jones, Jack Jones, Steve Jones, Carl Threadgill 
(Cai Jones), Marcus Orlik, Jamie Rogers.
Subs not used: Aden Shannon, Mark Bridge.

Llandudno: Andy Rooney, Paul Roberts, Sean Eardley, Wyn Williamsm Craig Hogg, 
Danny Hughes, Gareth Evans, Ben Dews, Lee Thomas, Luke Carding, Neil Coverly, 
Joe Carey. Subs: James Cornish, Grant Montgomery, Dylan Smith.

Iwan Gareth.

North Wales Coast Challenge Cup Semi Final	-Sunday, May 16

CPD Porthmadog ... 3		Llandyrnog ... 1
Jamie Rogers
Carl Threadgill
Cai Jones

First half goals by Jamie Rogers and Carl Threadgill gave Port's mixture of
first and second team players a comfotable lead at the interval against 
their Welsh Alliance rivals. However Llandyrnog managed to pull themselves 
back into the game in the second half, but Port nerves were eased when Cai
Jones booked his team's place in Wednesday's final against Llandudno with 
a quarter of on hour left on the clock. 

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier	-Saturday, April 24

Gap Connah's Quay ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Chris Herbert 27
Aaron Burns 45
Mike Hayes 76'

Port's second spell of eight seasons in the WPL has come to an end and sad
to report it ended with a whimper which perhaps sums up a disappointing
season. Travelling supporters had hoped see them continue their good recent
run on the road but once Herbert put the home side ahead that seemed
unlikely. Port lacked ideas going forward and the surfeit of long balls did
not test a tight home defence well marshalled by Mark McGregor.

Port started well enough and penned the home side in their own half in the
early stages. With three minutes gone they fluffed a good opportunity when
Rob Evans chose to pass when a shot might have been a better option. Play
was punctuated with numerous free kicks mainly in favour of Port and there
was one each for Marcus Orlik and Aden Shannon in dangerous situations which
came to nothing. The nearest Port came to scoring at this stage was yet
another free kick this time from Chris Jones and Ryan Davies' strong header
went inches over the bar. The home side were increasingly a danger on the
break and Port received a warning after 18 minutes when a long ball from the
back allowed Chris Herbert in behind the defence and the forward hit a shot
across Richard Morgan but narrowly wide of the post. Burns then burst into
the box on the right but again the finish was off target. With 27 minutes
gone the goal came when Herbert intercepted a poor pass and broke into the
box on the left and had time to place his shot across Richard Morgan and
inside the far post. Alan Hooley then threatened on a burst upfield but
fired wide. With half time approaching Port had a good opportunity to draw
level when a Chris Jones' downward header gave Aden Shannon a good shooting
opportunity from 10 yards but McCormick was down well to save. Then on the
stroke of half time the Nomads scored their second when Scheuber pulled a
cross back from the byeline for Burns to run on to and lash a first time
shot under the diving Richard Morgan to score.

Port went in search of an early second half goal and Marcus Orlik threatened
going past two defenders but shot was straight at McCormick. Rob Evans then
fired over the bar. The Nomads replied and could have gone three up when
Herbert opened up the Port defence with a well judged through ball but
Scheuber fired wide of the post. Richard Morgan then pulled off a good save
pushing away a Herbert shot and Hayes following up headed the rebound over
the bar. But five minutes later came the goal which killed off the game.
Mike Hayes got a touch on a long ball from the back which was enough to lift
the ball over the advancing Morgan and into the net. There was no way back
for Port and the game drifted with little to entertain the very small crowd.
There was one opportunity for a late consolation when Aden Shannon cut in
from the right but in a one on one McCormick saved well with his legs.

On a bone hard pitch this was a forgettable game as Port persisted with the
long ball which was meat and drink for the home defence. With target man Cai
Jones rested for the FAW Youth Cup quarter final tie it never looked like

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, John Keegan (Jack
Jones 25'), Ryan Davies, Dan Pyrs, Robert Evans (Jamie Rogers 79), Chris
Jones, Aden Shannon, Marcus Orlik, Steve Jones (Gareth Parry 66'). Sub not
used: cai Jones. Yellow; Aden Shannon 24')

Connah's Quay: McCormick, Ben Alston, Hooley, McGregor, Andy Alston, Craig
Jones, Tom Baker, Scheuber, Burns (Hayes 66'), Herbert (Rob Jones 77'),
McNutt (Glover 59'). Yellow: Craig Jones

Referee: Kevin Parry.			Attendance: 111.

Gareth Williams. 

North Wales Coast FA Challenge Cup	-Monday, 19 April

Rhyl FC ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
				Carl Threadgill 70' 

This was the proverbial game of two halves between two teams composed of a
mixture of first team regulars and squad players. The game was settled in
the 70th minute with when Carl Threadgill -a player who has been scoring
consistently for the reserves since joining the club in January- netting
with a cracker on his senior debut.

The opening half belonged to Rhyl and twice Port had lucky escapes with
shots striking the bar and also one against the post for good measure. But
in the 7th minute Port did have a strong shout for a penalty turned down and
both Mark Bridge and Aden Shannon had good efforts which went close.

Stand-in manager Gareth Parry must have put some pep in the half time talk
for Port came out a totally different team in the second half taking the
game to their opponents and playing some good football. The winning goal, 20
minutes from time, was well taken by Carl Threadgill. He met a Chris Jones
cross which he struck on the volley into the net.

This win puts Port through to the semi-final of the competition where they
will meet the winners of the tie between Llandyrnog and Denbigh Town. This
game will not be played until April 29th. The other semi-final will be
between Llandudno and Barmouth and will be played at the Traeth, also on
April 29th. 

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Dylan Williams, John Keegan,
Steven Jones, Mark Bridge, Chris Jones, Aden Shannon, Marcus Orlik, Jamie
Rogers, Carl Threadgill (Cai Jones79'). Subs not used: Jack Jones, Gareth
Parry, Meilir Elis (gk).

Rhyl: Pritchard, Henna, Evans (HURST), Courtney, Owens, Dixon, Owen, Ojapah,
Doran, Kirk (TURNER), Powell
UNUSED SUBS: Dowling, Cudworth. Yellow: Ojapah 67', Hurst 87'

Attendance: 101.

Report: information by Meirion Parry. 

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier   -Saturday, April 17th.

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Port Talbot Town ... 1
				Martin Rose 23'

A scrappy goal midway through the first half from Martin Rose -his 16th in
the league- separated the two sides at the end of a hard fought contest
which hardly reflected the gap that exists between the two sides in the
league table. There was to be no repeat of a very poor Porthmadog
performance in the corresponding game at Port Talbot and today's performance
was a further indication of the progress made by the team in the last few
weeks of the season. Though matching their high flying opponents in effort
and determination once again that elusive goal, which would have prevented a
4th successive home defeat, failed to materialise.

There was an early moment of panic for Porthmadog when Richard Harvey missed
an attempted clearing punch but that was the only blemish by the keeper in
an otherwise superb performance. The keeper showed quick reflexes a few
minutes later tipping a close range Surman header over the bar. A timely
tackle by Mike Foster stopped another Port Talbot attack. Porthmadog however
were not sitting back and when Marcus Orlik crossed dangerously after a good
home move Kendall in the visitors needed to be alert to cut it out. Then,
with 23 minutes gone, the home defence, which had generally looked
comfortable, was breached when following a mighty scramble in the home
penalty area Martin Rose found enough space to put the ball in the net with
a low 12 yard shot. Porthmadog looked as though they had equalised when
Marcus Orlik unleashed another of his specials from 30 yards. But Lee
Kendall was relieved when the shot passed narrowly wide of his left hand
upright. Defences remained mainly on top and the game became a midfield
battle with no quarter asked or given with Rob Evans, Gareth Parry and Dan
Pyrs in the thick of the action. Young Cai Jones again battled well up front
for Porthmadog against experienced defenders. In the latter stages of the
half an angled shot by Thomas, cutting in from the left for the visitors,
flew narrowly wide and Richard Harvey needed to get down well to save a
Barrow free kick at the foot of the post. At the other end Rob Evans hit the
target without troubling Kendall. 

Early in the second half there were chances at either end, a snapshot by
Daniel Thomas went dangerously close to Harvey's right hand post, while at
the other end a well worked Porthmadog move created space for Chris Jones on
the left side of the box. He cut inside past a defender but failed to get
enough power on his shot. The visitors worked up a head of steam near the
hour mark and Richard Harvey pulled off superb double saves to twice deny
Lee John from close range. Grist was then in the action, as Port Talbot
pulled out the stops to find a second goal, but he fired wide from 12 yards.
Porthmadog responded with a Marcus Orlik shot from 20 yards curling over the
bar. In the latter stages Porthmadog took the game to the visitors and
indeed looked the more likely to score. There were efforts from Dan Pyrs
saved by Kendall and from Shannon whose shot flew over the bar. Richard
Harvey though still needed to be alert as a counterattack gave McCreesh a
shooting chance. But in the final minutes it was the visitors who were
holding on and were grateful for a final whistle which meant that their
third spot in the table was safe for now at least.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Dan Pyrs, Ryan
Davies, John Keegan, Chris Jones, Rob Evans, Cai Jones (Steve Jones 83'),
Marcus Orlik, Gareth Parry (Aden Shannon 72'). Subs not used: Jac Jones,
Dylan Williams(y), Meilir Elis(y). Yellow: Marcus Orlik 41', Aden Shannon

Port Talbot: Lee Kendall, Lee de Vulgt, Scott Barrow, Gareth Phillips (Karl
Lewis 52'), Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John (Matthew Thompson 74'), Lloyd
Grist, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Daniel Thomas. Subs not used: John
Wonnacott, Chris Silva(y)

Referee: Huw Jones.		Attendance: 223.

Gareth Williams.         

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier -Tuesday, April 13th

Caersws ...1		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
			Sion Meredith 16'
			Marcus Orlik 67'

Like Saturday's win at the Airfield a goal either side of one by their
opponents gave Port a deserved three points. For only the second time in the
season Port recorded back to back victories (against Prestatyn and
Carmarthen was the only other occasion). This victory also means that they
have picked up 10 points out of 12 in their last four away fixtures. Once
again two quality goals, one in each half, gave them the victory.

Port opened well and despite facing a stiff breeze most of the early play
was in the Caersws half with Marcus Orlik together with Chris and Cai Jones
soon in the thick of the action. Caersws however looked dangerous on the
break forcing an early free kick which Matthew Holt fired wide and another
good break ended with Corey Jenkins firing wide. But after 17 minutes it was
Porthmadog who deservedly went ahead when Chris Jones broke down the right
and his low cross into the six yard box was met at the back post by Sin
Meredith who rifled a first time shot into the roof of the net. Two minutes
later Port could have gone further ahead when Marcus Orlik found Cai Jones
in the box but a good block by keeper Dave Jones gave the defence time to
scramble the ball away for a corner. Ryan Davies on 23 minutes rose well to
meet an Orlik corner but his header flew inches over the bar. But with half
an hour gone a huge bobble caused confusion in the Port defence and Andrew
Davies reacted quickly carrying the ball for 20 yards and despite being
forced wide netted well with an angled shot from 15 yards across Richard
Morgan. This goal boosted the home team and following this Andy Davies fired
over the bar and Richard Morgan did well diving at the feet of Phil Jones.
With half time beckoning Richard Morgan was again in the action diverting a
deflected shot over the bar.

Andy Davies was again a threat soon after the interval for the home team but
his shot was off target. Following this there was an intense period of Port
pressure. Ryan Davies headed Chris Jones's free kick into the danger area
and Cai Jones headed inches over the bar. This was followed by a Marcus
Orlik shot which struck the side netting and almost immediately after Dan
Pyrs connected with a Marcus Orlik corner but failed to hit the target. With
all this pressure Port needed to score and they did. Almost as soon as he
came on, as sub, Steve Jones found Marcus Orlik in space 25 yards out from
goal and the striker took one quick look before firing powerfully into the
corner of the net. This goal as it turned out sealed the victory and it was
good enough to win any game. But with almost half an hour left no team of
Mickey Evans's is likely to throw in the towel. In the absence of a third
goal, to settle the match, it was going to be a hard slog for victory. The
swirling wind, rock hard ground and a bouncing ball, which made control
difficult, together combined to make a tense finish inevitable. Neither side
was able to establish any real pattern to their play in difficult
conditions, and it all became rather frenetic. But Caersws did cause a few
more worries before the end. Richard Morgan needed to be out quickly to go
down at the feet of Stuart Williams but Corey Jenkins was off target with
his 20 yard shot. The closest Caersws came to the equaliser in the last ten
minutes came after they were awarded a dubious free kick 20 yards out and
Simon Jones struck a low shot through the defensive wall and Richard Morgan
went down well to save near the foot of his left hand post.

There were no additions to the score and, with the news of Welshpool's
narrow defeat at home to TNS, meant that Port had moved up one place in the
table to 15th.

Porthmadog: Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Jack Jones, Ryan Davies, John
Keegan, Dan Pyrs, Rob Evans, Chris Jones, Cai Jones (Gareth Parry 75'),
Marcus Orlik (Dylan Williams 90'), Sin Meredith (Steve Jones 61'). Yellow:
John Keegan 1', Marcus Orlik 25', Cai Jones 74', Jack Jones 76'.

Caersws: Dave Jones, Steve Rowland, Matthew Holt, Phil Jones (Kris Williams
49'), Simon Jones, Graham Jones, Lee Jenkins, Andy Davies, Matt Prosser,
Corey Jenkins, Scott Williams. Subs not used: Jacob Smith, Luke Williams,
James Coleman. Yellow: Steve Rowland 65'.

Referee: John Swindley.		Attendance: 127.

Gareth Williams.

Principality Building Society Welsh Premier -Saturday, April 10th

Airbus UK ...1		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Carl Owen 69'		Chris Jones 59',74'.

Two super second-half strikes by Chris Jones were more than good enough to
give Port the three points. Though the Airfield club squeezed a Carl Owen
equaliser in between the Port goals the visitors defence proved equal to the
late aerial onslaught of the home club. This, in a desperate effort to
extract something from the game, and keep themselves on course for a top ten

It was a rather tame opening half with neither side able to establish
control. Port were first out of the blocks forcing several early corners and
from one of these Sin Meredith had his shot deflected wide of the post.
After a slow start Airbus came more into the game in the middle part of the
half forcing a couple of corners and from one Sudlow headed over the bar and
Marc Lloyd Williams tested Richard Harvey. Marc Lloyd Williams was again a
threat meeting Jack Abraham's cross with a header but failed to hit the
target. The closest either side came to a score in the opening half was a
Chris Jones looping header after Cai Jones had picked him out well with a
cross from the left. But the header ended up on the roof of the net. With
the interval at hand Carl Owen blazed over the bar for Airbus from 16 yards.

Owen 10 minutes after the restart had a good opportunity to put the home
side ahead but he screwed his close range shot wide after a low cross by
Marc Lloyd Williams from the right. Then in the 59th minute a mediocre game
was lit up by a fine Port move. Marcus Orlik opened up the home defence with
a quality ball down the right which Chris Jones raced on to. The winger
turned inside and played a slick one-two with Cai Jones before unleashing a
powerful strike across the keeper and just inside the far post. This fine
finish stirred Airbus into more strenuous efforts and when Sudlow burst into
the Port box he should have done better than blaze his shot well wide. With
69 minutes gone Carl Owen put Port back on level terms. Josh Johnson who had
used his pace to good effect down the right pulled back a low cross for Owen
to hit the underside of the bar from 16 yards. Though Richard Harvey reacted
well to gather the rebound, the linesman signalled that the ball had crossed
the line. The scores only remained on level terms for five minutes before
Chris Jones scored his second and the goal which would decide the game. He
took his first goal well but the second was even better. Dan Pyrs freed Cai
Jones down the left and the young striker's lofted cross was struck with
power by Chris Jones, on the volley, from 15 yards just inside the near
post. Airbus came close to an equaliser on a couple of occasions. Once when
Paul McManus cut in from the left and forced Richard Harvey into an
excellent save diving to his left. Then the other sub Tom Rowlands, also
breaking down the left struck the angle of the crossbar with a powerful left
footer. But the Port defence survived an aerial bombardment with Richard
Harvey handling confidently and Ryan Davies and John Keegan also resolute
under the high ball. Late on Port created three good chances to extend their
lead. Cai Jones put Marcus Orlik in behind the defence but the keeper was
out well to save in a one to one situation. A minute later and Marcus Orlik
again this time attempting to lob the keeper but ended with the ball going
narrowly over the bar. Then with a minute left of normal time it was Cai
Jones's turn for a one on one but again Doran proved equal to the task this
time doing well to save with his legs.
One final moment of drama saw the entry of manager Tomi Morgan, at the age
of 52, as an injury time sub.
This was a good away win, after two disappointing home results, making it
two wins and a draw in the last three games on the road.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, John
Keegan, Dan Pyrs, Rob Evans, Chris Jones, Cai Jones (Tomi Morgan 90'),
Marcus Orlik, Sion Meredith (Steve Jones 81'). Sub not used: Gareth Parry.
Yellow: Rob Evans 65'.

Airbus: Chris Doran, Josh Johnson, Ryan Edwards, Matty Woodward, Mark Allen,
Gareth Sudlow (Jack Rowlands 65'), Jack Abraham, Danny Desmoreaux, James
McIntosh (Tom Rowlands 62'), Marc Lloyd Williams (Paul McManus 76'), Carl
Owen. Yellow: Marc Lloyd Williams 76')

Referee: Huw Jones.		Attendance: 157.

Gareth Williams.