CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Academi / Academy
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Bala (h) [WC] | Fflint (h) | Cegidfa (a) | Bae Colwyn (a) | Rhyl (a) | Cei Connah's Quay (h) | Llandudno (a) |

Huws Gray Alliance		-Saturday, 15 January

Llandudno ... 5		CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Danny Hughes 30'
Neil Coverley 44'
Iwan Williams 60'
Ryan Williams 80'
Zac Evans 84'

Five goals, five different names on the score sheet made it good day for
Llandudno as they completed a double over a Port team who never came to
terms with the atrocious swirling wind and sweeping rain which made
conventional football tactics a non starter. To their credit Llandudno
adapted far better to the dreadful conditions keeping possession and playing
the ball on the ground and when the chances came, they took them with some
confident finishing.

In the opening stages both sides were slow to settle and the wind threatened
to take complete charge. Darren Gowans for Port was first to manage a shot
on target but Paul Whitfield dealt with it comfortably. Port had a good
spell in the middle of the half with Paul Roberts netting with a firm shot
only to be ruled offside. Had Port gone ahead at this stage it would be no
less than they deserved. Paul Roberts was again a threat soon after with
Whitfield pulling off a good save to deny him and then the same player put
his shot narrowly the wrong side of the post. But two set pieces then
changed the game completely. The first after half an hour when Jordan Kane
drove a free kick from 25 yards out on the right into the danger zone. The
ball took a slight deflection allowing Danny Hughes at the far post to net
from close range. Llandudno began to control the game towards the end of the
half with Lee Thomas directing operations in midfield. Then with the
interval upon us Llandudno doubled their advantage with a goal which had an
element of the freakish about it. From close to the half way line Neil
Coverley lifted a free kick which sailed goalwards on the wind and over
Richard Harvey into the net.

As the second half opened Port knew they had much to do. It was their turn
to have the advantage of the wind which blew diagonally from corner to
corner. They started well and within two minutes of the restart Marcus Orlik
forced Whitfield into a diving save parrying the ball into the path of Dan
Pyrs, but the midfielder failed to hit the target. Soon after a good move
involving Dan Pyrs and Darren Gowans set up Gareth Jones Evans but once
again Whitfield was equal to the task. With 57 minutes gone the best Port
chance fell to Marcus Orlik cutting across the box and firing a goal bound
shot but somehow Whitfield caught 12 yards out of his goal managed to get a
hand to it and deny Port a lifeline. With an hour gone Llandudno struck
again taking the game away from Port. Llandudno broke down the left and Kane
crossed low to the near post where former Port forward Iwan Williams darted
in to apply the finishing touch at the near post. The goal scotched the
chances of a Port revival as they failed to find any pattern to their play
with balls being over hit and possession squandered. Llandudno were
increasingly in charge breaking quickly as Port threw players forward in a
desperate effort to chase the game. Iwan Williams was a threat playing on
the shoulder of the last defender and late on the home side were able to add
two more goals. With ten minutes left Ryan Williams received on the edge of
the box after the ball had been worked across from the left. He carried it
forward and struck a low shot across Richard Harvey into the corner of the
net. Four minutes later and sub Zac Evans made a dramatic entry scoring
almost immediately. He took advantage of hesitancy at the heart of the Port
defence and finished confidently from 15 yards.
Three straight defeats following the enforced break and Gareth Parry knows
he faces a challenge to get the Port ship floating again. 

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Gareth Owen, Mike Foster, Gareth Jones Evans
(Cai Jones 69'), Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Jack Jones ( Craig
Roberts 82'), Paul Roberts (Jamie McDaid 85'), Marcus Orlik, Darren Gowans.
Subs not used: Richie Owen, Euron Roberts. Yellow: Ryan Davies 61'.

Llandudno: Paul Whitfield, Ben Dews, Sean Eardley, Tim Brandreth, Neil
Coverley, Danny Hughes, Ryan Williams, Tony Cann (Alec Williams 55'), Lee
Thomas, Iwan Williams (Dean Seager 84'), Jordan Kane (Zac Evans 84').

Referee: Neil Pratt (Connah's Quay)		Attendance: 101 

Huws Gray Alliance.     -Saturday, 8 January.
Match Sponsors: Hafod Wen, Harlech

CPD Porthmadog ... 1            Gap Connah's Quay ... 3
Marcus Orlik 41'.                     Gary O'Toole 8', 34', 66'.

A brilliantly taken Gary O'Toole hat trick secured a well deserved 3 points
for Connah's Quay at the Traeth. The visitors' performance was confirmation
of their quality and of their right to sit at the top of the table. They are
the best team seen at the Traeth this season. Port, having looked second
best in the first half, fought back well in the second period but an
opportunist hat trick goal by Gary O'Toole scotched home hopes of getting
back on level terms.

The visitors got off to a flying start, breaking with pace and, as early as
the 5th minute Gary O'Toole, when he turned well in the box and fired over
the bar, gave notice that the home defence would be in for a hard time. With
only 8 minutes gone the same player latched on to a good through ball
turning his marker before firing well wide of Richard Harvey and into the
corner of the net. A minute later and Richard Harvey was in action again
saving well at his near post from Jamie Petrie. The Nomads continued to
control the game and their debutant keeper Adam McGhee was rarely troubled
apart from a couple of set pieces. Just after the half hour mark the
visitors doubled their advantage. Gary O'Toole received on the left of the
box but still had much to do. He controlled well before turning inside past
a defender and beat Richard Harvey from 12 yards. Though the keeper got a
hand to the ball he could not keep it out. At this stage the Nomads could
well have run away with the game but with half time approaching Port gained
a lifeline. They were awarded a free kick two yards outside the box. Marcus
Orlik stepped up to place his super strike well out of the reach of McGhee
to reduce the arrears. In the remaining minutes McIntosh came close with a
header for the visitors and Richard Harvey saved well to deny O'Toole his
hat trick. But the score remained at 1-2 at the interval.

Port came out in the second half determined to continue the fight back and
for 20 minutes they took the game to Connah's Quay looking by far the more
likely to score. Within a minute of the restart Marcus Orlik and Gareth
Jones Evans set up Jack Jones but the midfielder fired over the bar. Gareth
Jones Evans, who was involved in every Port move at this stage, came close
to levelling the scores on three occasions with shots from the edge of the
box. Once he fired only inches over the bar and later forced McGhee into
action. The closest came just past the hour mark when a Paul Roberts
downward header set him up. GJE was very unlucky to see his well struck low
shot drift only inches the wrong side of the post. Port pressure continued
and when Marcus Orlik lifted another free kick over the defensive wall a
worried Nomads' defence was relieved to see it fly outside the post. Then
with 68 minutes gone the inevitable Gary O'Toole put paid to the home
revival with a clinical hat trick goal. Taking advantage of two poor
defensive headers O'Toole cracked a shot from 20 yards well out of Richard
Harvey's reach completing his hat trick. Though the game now looked beyond
them, Port continued to carve out the better chances. Ryan Davies was not
far away from the target when he rose well to meet a Marcus Orlik corner and
Paul Roberts, breaking into the box, tested McGhee. With the game drawing to
its close, Paul Roberts was unlucky to see a cracking low shot go narrowly
past the post.

This game was lost in the opening half when Port failed to come to terms
with the pace and accuracy of the Nomads passing, and with the Deeside
club's ability to switch quickly from defence to attack. Once again Port
failed to turn opportunities into goals, especially as they rallied in the
second half. Next Saturday Port visit Llandudno and a return to winning ways
is a priority.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts (Gareth Owen 82'), Mike Foster,
Gareth Jones Evans, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Jack Jones,(Craig
Roberts 74'), Paul Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Cai Jones,(Jamie McDaid 82'). Subs
not used: Richie Owen, Gareth Parry. Yellow: Ryan Davies 80'.

Connah's Quay: Adam McGhee, Ben Alston, Ben Collins, Mark McGregor, Andy
Alston, Craig Jones (Tom Baker), James Petrie, Alan Hooley, Gary
O'Toole,(Danny Pinch 90'), James McIntosh, Dean Thurston (Rob Jones 69') Sub
not used: Scott Baker. Yellow: Craig Jones 63'.

Referee: Gwyn Vaughan                           Attendance: 141.    

Huws Gray Alliance              Monday, 3 January.

Rhyl FC ... 1           CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Chris Williams 16'

A Chris Williams header 16 minutes into the game separated the two sides at
the end. Port will be kicking themselves that they did not get something
from this game as they will hardly get a better opportunity to pick up
points at Fortress Belle Vue. After 36 minutes the goalscorer found himself
the centre of a highly controversial decision when he received a straight
red card from referee Gareth Wyn Jones for allegedly kicking the ball at the
linesman following a disputed decision. Rhyl were left to play the remainder
of the half and the whole of the second half with ten men. The experienced
John Leah and Greg Strong marshalled things at the back, ably supported by
full back Rhys Darlington and Porthmadog were restricted to long range
efforts which meant that despite having plenty of second half possession
Chris Howarth in the home goal was never unduly troubled.

Port had a clear opportunity to open the scoring after only 7 minutes when
Mike Foster caught the home defence napping with a quickly taken free kick
near the left touchline. As a result Paul Roberts found himself free and
behind the home defence. The striker cut inside, but delayed his shot long
enough for Chris Howarth to fall at his feet and smother the shot. Soon
after the Port defence received a warning when they were caught out by a
long ball over the defence which led to Chris Williams skewing a shot wide
of the post. After Richard Harvey pulled off a good save at the feet of Mark
Cadwallader Rhyl got their noses in front. With 16 minutes gone they went
ahead when Brad Maylett broke wide on the right and lifted a cross to the
back post where Chris Williams raced in to head into the net from close
range. Just before the half hour mark there was almost a repeat when Mark
Cadwallader crossed from the right but this time Chris Williams' header was
inches over the bar. Richard Harvey again needed to be alert tipping a
Courtney header over the bar. The best Port moves started from debutant
Gareth Jones Evans who built up well from midfield. But Port had to rely on
shots in and around the box. From one of these Darren Gowans struck his shot
over the bar and a couple of Marcus Orlik efforts did not seriously test the
keeper. Half time came and 10-man Rhyl were able to reorganise.

Straight from the restart Paul Roberts produced Port's best effort on goal.
He burst from midfield and let fly a shot from 25 yards which went narrowly
the wrong side of the upright. In an immediate response on the break down
the left Mike Pritchard thundered a 20 yard effort which rattled the cross
bar. Then for Port Gareth Jones Evans broke to the edge of the box but his
shot drifted wide of the post. Though Port were applying the pressure on 10
man Rhyl the home side were a threat on the counter and when Mark
Cadwallader fired from the edge of the box Richard Harvey pulled off an
excellent save diving to his left to turn it round the post. But despite
Port possession they were denied any clear cut chances by the excellent Rhyl
defence. Marcus Orlik came close with a header when Rhys Roberts lifted a
cross and late on the same player let fly when a Paul Roberts downward
header found him on the edge of the box. But yet again Port failed to hit
the target. Near the end John Toner was close from a narrow angle and in the
90th minute another shot from distance struck the Port cross bar. This time
it was sub Scott Beckett. But there was to be no addition to the score and
Rhyl held out with something to spare.

The second half was not without its refereeing controversies either. When
Rhys Roberts brought down Brad Maylett the referee, after consulting his
linesman, waved a yellow card and followed it with a red one. He was under
the impression that he had already yellow carded Rhys. In fact it was Ryan
Davies who had previously been yellow carded. A furore followed but
eventually the referee was persuaded and withdrew the red card. Despite the
time taken with this incident plus five substitutions the referee only
allowed two minutes of added time!

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts (Jack Jones 80'), Mike Foster
(Richie Owen 86'), Gareth Jones Evans, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Jamie
McDaid, Dan Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Darren Gowans (Cai Jones 63')
Subs not used: Gareth Owen, Gareth Parry. Yellow: Ryan Davies 17', Rhys
Roberts 63', Marcus Orlik 67'.

Rhyl: Chris Howarth, Andy Pearson, Rees Darlington, Russ Courtney, Greg
Strong, John Leah, Brad Maylett, Paul Mooney, Mark Cadwallader (Scott
Beckett 71'), Mike Pritchard (John Toner 86'), Chris Williams. Subs not
used: John Keegan, Gareth Owen. Red: chris Williams 36'. Yellow: John Leah

Referee: Gareth Wyn Jones, Bontnewydd.          Attendance: 386.        

North Wales Coast Challenge Cup Round 2

Colwyn Bay ... 5                        CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Ian Sheridan 9,20,49.
Lee Davey 45.
Damian Allen 63'

Holders Porthmadog went out of this season's competition put to the sword by
a pacy Colwyn Bay outfit who closed down quickly at the back and in midfield
and punished any errors with clinical finishing. The essential difference
between the two sides proved to be home skipper Damian Allen and Joe
O'Sullivan whose strong straight running from midfield opened up the Port
defence and leading scorer Ian Sheridan who netted after only 9 minutes and
went on to complete his hat trick in the 49th minute. Port, playing their
first game since 20 November, showed their lack of match practice. But they
had good periods of possession, building up neatly but lacking the vital
pass needed to open up a home defence well marshalled by Daniel Grannon.

In the opening half Paul Roberts worked hard up front but lacked support.
Port's task was made more difficult after only nine minutes when keeper
Richard Harvey could only beat out Denson's powerful angle shot into the
path of Sheridan who scored his first from close range. With only 20 minutes
on the clock the Bay went two up when Damien Allen won the ball in midfield
and with Port appealing for a foul, the midfielder ran straight at the heart
of the defence before supplying Sheridan with another shooting opportunity
which was coolly slotted home. Port then enjoyed a good period of pressure
and Grannon was glad to concede a corner under pressure from the hard
working Paul Roberts. From the corner Ryan Davies was unlucky to see his
header fly wide of the target and minutes later an accurate Darren Gowans
cross provided Paul Roberts with a shooting opportunity. But the Bay's 
pacy counter attacks were always a threat and from one of these on the 
stroke of half-time Lee Davey added the third witha low drive from 
12 yards.

Only 4 minutes into the second period Ian Sheridan completed his hat-trick
making it 4-0 and now there was no way back for Port. But they stuck to
their task and home keeper was grateful to see Paul Roberts shot deflect for
a corner as the striker bore down on his goal. Minutes later Darren Gowans
cut in from the left but his powerful angled shot failed to hit the target.
Good work again by Paul Roberts, down the left just after the hour mark,
provided Marcus Orlik with a close range shooting chance but once again Port
failed to hit the target. A minute later and man of the match Allen got his
name on the score sheet for Colwyn Bay's fifth, though there was more than a
question of offside about it. The home side continued to pressure the Port
defence but determined work with Ryan Davies leading by example and Richard
Harvey pulling off several excellent saves prevented further addition to the
score. Just before the end Barry Evans cutting in from the left fired a
powerful shot narrowly wide of the angle.

The game saw the introduction of young midfielder Gareth Jones Evans who
created a good impression over the last 20 minutes suggesting that he will
be a valuable addition.

Port: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Richie Owen, Gareth Owen, Darren Jones
Ryan Davies, Dan Pyrs (Iwan Williams 59'), Rhys Roberts (Gareth Jones Evans
67'), Marcus Orlik, Paul Roberts, Darren Gowans (Barry Evans 67').

Colwyn Bay: Daniel Roberts, Luke Denson, Sam Bailey, Fraser McLachlan,
Daniel Grannon, Joe O'Sullivan, Anthony Sheehan, Damien Allen, Alex
Titchiner, Ian Sheridan (Steve Aspinall 75'), Lee Davey. Sub not used Dave
Challinor.Yellow: Fraser McClachlan.

Huws Gray Alliance              -Saturday, 20 November

Guilsfield FC ... 0             CPD Porthmadog ... 2
                                        Iwan Williams 56'
                                        Paul Roberts 77'

In murky misty conditions in mid Wales, Porthmadog extended their unbeaten
away run in all competitions to 9 games. The win also means that they have
gone 7 league matches unbeaten. But they were made to work very hard for
their win by a Guilsfield team who, in their last outing, had defeated
Llandudno by 3-0. It was a hard physical game and that and the conditions
meant there was little opportunity to indulge in the passing game which Port
prefer to play. On display for the first time for Port was Darren Gowans
whose signature from Llangefni went through on Friday.

It was very much the game of two halves with Guilsfield enjoying more of the
pressure down the slope in the opening half. Twice in the opening six
minutes careless Port defensive passes could have put the home team ahead.
From one Ross Frame intercepted to put himself in on goal but fired wide
when well placed. It needed an excellent Richard Harvey save diving to his
right to keep out Chris Roberts in one on one with the keeper. Port also had
their moments in the early stages with Paul Roberts putting Cai Jones in on
goal but the shot from a narrow angle went wide. As the half wore on
Guilsfield threatened more and more Ross Frame shot into the side netting
and the same player tested Richard Harvey again when he got on the end of a
Cookson free kick. The home side spurned a free kick in a very dangerous
position when Roberts was brought down on the edge of the box but the kick
struck the defensive wall. Rhys Roberts came close with a header for Port
when Paul Roberts headed a free kick back across the goal. Paul Roberts
himself came close from a difficult angle following a good run by Dan Pyrs.
Towards the end of the half Ryan Davies at the back post was not far off the
target when he met a Richie Owen free kick. But the scores remained level at
the interval in what had been a sub-standard Port performance.

But from the start of the second half Port looked far livelier and more
determined. In just two minutes of the restart home keeper was glad to
scramble the ball away at his back post under pressure from Iwan Williams.

With 56 minutes gone Port scored the all important first goal. Darren Cowans
lifted a right wing corner and Cai Jones, in a crowded box, did well to get
a shot in and a final touch belonged to Iwan Williams. Not a classic goal by
any means but a very important one nevertheless. Port continued to mount a
series of attacks and Paul Roberts was narrowly off target when he received
Euron Roberts' low cross. With 13 minutes left a home error handed Port a
golden opportunity to extend their lead. Home keeper Maguire sliced his
clearance straight to Paul Roberts, 25 yards out, and the striker coolly
aimed his low shot into the empty net. This gave Port the breathing space
they needed. Good work again by Paul Roberts beating two defenders on the
edge of the box but his final shot lacked power. Two minutes from time they
could have gone even further ahead when Paul Roberts was brought down in the
box. The striker got up to take the spot kick himself but this time accuracy
eluded him and he pulled his shot wide of the post. In the event it did not
matter for though Guilsfield won several free kicks and forced numerous
corners the Port defence had now regained its composure and were in no mood
to yield the clean sheet. Ross Frame blasted another free kick in a good
position well over the bar and Joe Coulson rose well to meet another Cookson
free kick but Port were now looking comfortable at the back and in the end
deserved the three points which they had worked hard for.

Port remain in 6th place in the table and though they move ahead of Flint
they have been by-passed by Rhos Aelwyd on goal difference. Rhos, Port and
Llandudno are now locked together on 20 points. Progress up the table calls
for a continuation of the current excellent run.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Richie Owen (Mike Foster 73'),
Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Jack Jones (Darren Jones 77'), Iwan
Williams (Barrie Evans 73'), Paul Roberts, Darren Gowans. Subs not used:
Gareth Owen, Gareth Parry.

Guilsfield: Dave Maguire, Jonathan Jones, Mike Sawtell, Gareth Jones, James
Henderson, Joe Coulson, Matt Newton, Tom Coulson, Ross Frame, Chris Roberts,
Rob Cookson.

Referee: Alan Alexander (Wrexham)                       Attendance: 61.  

Huws Gray Alliance League       -Saturday, 13 November.
Match Sponsors: Ffestiniog Railway

CPD Porthmadog ... 2            Flint Town United ... 1
Cai Jones 64'                   Shaun Beck 75'
Rhys Roberts 90'

A dramatic equaliser deep into added time gave Porthmadog the three points
and gave us also a repeat of the League Cup result and of the scoreline at
Cae'r Castell earlier in the season. When the players returned to the centre
circle after Rhys Roberts' superbly taken winner there was just time to
restart before referee Aled Jones blew for time. Flint will feel themselves
hard done by after an even contest but Port, on the other hand, will point
to the quality of their two goals and also to the shot which struck the post
and the header which they strongly claim had crossed the line.

Flint were probably off to a better start with breaks into the box first
from Beck, needing a timely Rhys Roberts block, and later when Paul Williams
ran dangerously towards goal it required an excellent Iwan Williams tackle.
Port came more into the game and a powerful Rhys Roberts header was not far
off target in the 11th minute and later the Flint goal was fortunate to
escape without conceding, as a pinball of shots was eventually scrambled
clear. Neither keeper was seriously troubled for most of the opening half
but towards the ends of the period both sides upped their efforts and when
Jamie McDaid broke forward dangerously a good defensive block was needed to
keep out a Paul Roberts shot. Ten minutes before the interval Port looked to
have opened the score when Jamie McDaid played Richie Owen's deep cross back
into the danger zone for Paul Roberts. The forward saw his shot strike the
post and bounce conveniently into the hands of a beaten Alan Jones in the
Flint goal. Flint also had a couple of late first half efforts. It needed a
fine Ryan Davies tackle to halt a run by Ben Jones at the expense of a
corner. Jones moments later found himself in space after a good Flint build
up and the forward forced Richard Harvey into a finger tip save from an
excellent 18 yard shot. But at the interval it remained scoreless.

Defences remained on top in the early part of the second half. Rhys Roberts
who was a tower of strength at the back for Port intervened with an
excellent clearance as Danny Sullivan's dangerous cross caused momentary
panic in the Port defence. But, with 64 minutes gone, one of the many
excellent Port passing moves at last paid off. Jack Jones picked up in the
centre of midfield and played the ball into the box for Paul Roberts, who
turned well and lifted the ball towards Cai Jones. The young striker managed
to get surprising power on his superb far post header which beat keeper Alan
Jones from 8 yards entering the net off the upright. Having got in front
Port surprisingly tended to sit back which invited Flint to push forward and
put pressure on a Port backline that had been strong throughout. With 76
minutes gone the pressure paid off for Flint and a sliced clearance gave
Sean Beck the opportunity he had been denied all afternoon. With Richard
Harvey stranded in no man's land the striker headed into an empty net.
Seeing the points being taken from them Port surged forward and a good Iwan
Williams ball allowed Jack Jones to try a shot on goal which flew wide. A
double substitution allowed Dan Pyrs to move into midfield and immediately
there was more energy and drive in the Port play. The referee turned down
strong Port appeals that Ryan Davies' header at a corner had crossed the
line. Then with added time ebbing away Ryan Davies played the ball into the
box where his defensive partner Rhys Roberts with his back to goal
magnificently hooked the ball wide of the despairing Alan Jones. The winning
goal capped a superb performance at the back by Rhys Roberts.

This win lifts Port into the top six for the first time this season and they
now stand only a point behind today's opposition. It extends their unbeaten
league run to six matches -five of them victories.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Dan Pyrs, Richie Owen, Ryan Davies, Rhys
Roberts, Darren Jones (Euron Roberts 84'), Jack Jones, Jamie McDaid (Barry
Evans 71'), Paul Roberts, Cai Jones Iwan Williams (Marcus Orlik 84'). Subs
not used: Gareth Owen, Mike Foster. Yellow: Ryan Davies 24', Rhys Roberts
59', Paul Roberts 90'.

Flint Alan Jones, Mike Banks, Danny Sullivan, Paul Williams, John Davies,
John Hill, Jack Abraham, Simon Hulse, Ben Jones, Shaun Beck, Gareth Roberts.
Subs: M Roberts, J Kenworthy, S Hughes, J Crowthorn. Yellow: Simon Hulse
10', Ben Jones 52', Paul Williams 53'.

Referee: Aled Jones (Lampeter)          Attendance: 157.     

Welsh Cup      -Saturday, 6 November 2010.	 

CPD Porthmadog ... 0		Bala ...1
			Ross Jefries 43' 
Match Sponsors: Harlech Toyota.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end! A solitary goal in the 
dying minutes of the first half was enough to bring an end to 
Porthmadog's 9 match unbeaten run which stretched back to the beginning 
of September.

Apart from a couple of early half chances for the visitors, most of the opening	
half was dominated territorially and in terms of possession by Porthmadog. 
Unfortunately, the goal scoring touch – which has seen Port score 14 
goals in the last 4 games – deserted them. Things were not helped by the 
departure, due to injury, of striker Cai Jones after just 13 minutes.

Passing the ball around confidently, Port created a handful of great 
opportunities in front of goal. Paul Roberts probably should have opened the 
scoring with the game only 5 minutes old. A clever Marcus Orlik ball caught the 
Bala defence square and put Roberts through on goal, however his powerful shot 
was too close to the keeper and the chance went begging. A quarter of an hour 
later, after dancing past 2 defenders Jamie McDaid found Paul Roberts in the 
box, but the striker was unable to find room to get his shot away. Another 
great chance then followed after 27 minutes, with Iwan Williams putting Marcus 
Orlik in on goal. His first effort was parried by Bimpson in the Bala goal ; 
from the rebound Orlik struck again with an overhead kick, but this time 
Bimpson managed to scramble the ball away with Paul Roberts ready to pounce. 
Iwan Williams also went close, but his long-ranger looped just over the 

It must be noted that it wasn't all one way traffic - Bala did create a 
few half chances themselves! In the third minute, there was panic in the home 
penalty-box after Richard Harvey was only able to half clear the ball while 
after 18 minutes it took a fantastic Rhys Roberts tackle to take the ball off 
the toe of former Port player Mike Thompson. As the half proceeded Bala did 
become stronger, but it was certainly against the run of  play when they opened 
the scoring. The goal itself was a comical affair - a Mike Thompson cross from 
the left didn't look as if it would trouble the home defence, but the 
ball bounced off Ross Jeffries's standing leg, past Richard Harvey and nestled 
in the back of the net.

The second half saw roles reversed – Bala were now the strongest team as 
Port's play became more scrappy. Things weren't helped after 55 
minutes with the loss of defender Ryan Davies through injury  - luckily 
substitute Gareth Owen was a capable replacement. Nevertheless, Owen's 
first action was highly controversial. A misdirected Rhys Roberts pass was 
pounced on by Ross Jeffries, who made a strong run towards goal – last 
defender Owen put in a challenge that prevented a shot on goal but bought cries 
for a penalty from the visitors. It was to the relief of the home supporters 
that ref Kevin Parry waived play-on. As the half wore on, Jeffries and sub Josh 
McCauley forced saves from Richard Harvey: his one handed save from 
Jeffries's 74th minute shot was particularly impressive.

Despite not having as much possession, Port did create chances. On the hour 
mark a good move involving Iwan Williams and Dan Pyrs culminated in Darren 
Jones shooting past the post. Ten minutes later, there were appeals for a 
penalty when a Bala defender seemingly handled the ball after Paul Roberts' 
header was half saved by Bimpson. Confusion reigned with the linesman's 
flag for off-side being ignored by the referee. Later on, a strong Jamie McDaid 
shot from outside the box went straight into the arms of the keeper.

Bala could have sealed things late on with McCauley forcing another good save 
from Harvey – with Rhys Roberts forcing the striker to hit the rebound 
over the bar. McCauley had another guilt-edged chance minutes later after Jack 
Jones lost the ball – however his curling effort beat Harvey but slammed 
against the upright.

With Bala missing their chances, the home side were still in with a chance into 
the dying moments. Port's last chance came deep into injury time. Jack 
Jones's free-kick created panic the visitor's penalty box but Barry 
Evans' shot went agonisingly past the upright.

There was definetly no shame in this result against supposedly superior 
opponents. Overall there was little to separate the two teams and with a little 
more luck in front of goal, Port could have taken the game to extra time. 
It's back to league action next week, with the visit of 5th placed Flint 
posing another stern challenge.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Dan Prys, Richie Owen, Darren Jones, Ryan Davies 
(Gareth Owen 55'), Rhys Roberts, Cai Jones (Jamie McDaid 13'), Jac Jones, Paul 
Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Iwan Williams (Barry Evans 72').
Subs not used: Geraint Mitchell, Euron Roberts

Bala: Leon Bimpson, Mark Powell (Josh McCauley 34'), Gethin Lloyd, Shaun Kelly, 
Steven Morrison, Danny Williams, John Irving, Mark Jones, Ross Jeffries (Chris 
Mason 87'), Michael Thompson, Paul Ennis.
Subs not used: Rob Evans, Steve Fisher, Craig Vernon

Referee: Kevin Parry

Emyr Gareth


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us