CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Academi / Academy
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Cegidfa / Gulsfield (h) | Penrhyn-coch (a) | Rhaeadr (a) | Llangefni (h) | Rhuthun (h) | Caersws (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Saturday, 2 April.

Caersws FC ... 5                                 CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Gareth Sudlow 4’                             Darren Gowans 50’
Richard Evans 11’                             Paul Roberts 73’
Marc Griffiths 24’
Neil Mitchell 31’ 62’

Porthmadog travelled to Caersws with a barebones squad and had their worst fears realised 
finding themselves a goal behind after only four minutes with the home side adding a second 
only 7 minutes later. By half time it was a case of damage limitation as they found 
themselves four goals down and to add to their woes Euron Roberts  was on his way to hospital 
with a suspected broken ankle which turned out to be badly torn ligaments . But even the 
fact that they were missing  so many key players, including their usual central defenders, 
could not fully explain the ease with which Caersws broke through the defence to score with 
the first two attacks of the game. At the back they failed to come to terms with the lively 
ball on a bone hard pitch, especially in the early stages, and even that early in the game 
they had given themselves a mountain to climb. 

Port were first on the attack with Gareth Jones Evans lifting an early shot over the bar. 
Caersws responded winning a corner down the right and Jacob Smith from the right struck it to 
the near post where after an initial scramble Gareth Sudlow netted from close range. But Port 
were soon back on the attack and there was little to suggest at this stage of what was to come. 
Good work by Paul Roberts down the left created a shooting opportunity for Marcus Orlik but the 
forward’s angled shot drifted narrowly wide of the far post. But with only their second real 
attack Caersws went further ahead a cross field ball opened up the Port defence and Richard 
Evans cutting in from the left curled his right foot shot inside Richard Harvey’s far post. Even 
so Port still looked dangerous on the attack and continued to enjoy plenty of possession. There 
were several good runs by both Darren Gowans and Marcus Orlik but with the final ball going 
astray. Gowans created a good opportunity with an angled ball which put Cai Jones one on one with 
the keeper but Ramsey saved well with an outstretched foot. More panic followed at the back for 
Port as Jacob Smith got in behind the defence but this time Richard Harvey was out quickly to 
block the shot.There was not long to wait, however, for the third as good work down the right 
opened up the Port defence and the dangerous Neil Mitchell chased the ball to the byeline half 
way out and his low cross into the 6 yard area found Marc Griffiths who scored from close range. 
Things were not about to get better as just after the half hour mark Graham Evans lifted a cross 
from deep on the left and Neil Mitchell at the back post out jumped everyone to head past Richard 
Harvey from 8 yards. When things are not going your way they have a habit of getting even worse. 
Euron Roberts was carried off and his replacement was Darren Jones one of the walking wounded on 
the bench. To his credit Darren got stuck in and helped to stabilise things in the second period 
following such a disastrous opening spell. 4-0 down at half time and no realistic way back.

But Port opened the second period in lively fashion and Cai Jones put in an early determined run, 
turning the ball inside for Marcus Orlik who cut into the box but was unlucky to see his shot curl 
just outside the post. Two minutes later Port won a corner down the right and Marcus Orlik lifted 
the ball beyond the back post for Gareth Owen to head back into the danger area and Darren Gowans 
volleyed the high bouncing ball past Ramsey to give a modicum of respectability. Port continued to 
pressurise and kept up a higher tempo. But then more bad luck struck as Marcus Orlik went down with 
an ankle injury to be replaced by Gareth Parry. The long delay took a little of the steam out the 
game and when play resumed Caersws restored their four goal advantage. Graham Jones hit an angled 
cross field ball for Jacob Smith to chase down the right. The winger played the ball into the near 
post where Neil Mitchell reacted quickly to score with a low shot from 5 yards. Port worked hard to 
gain some respectability and Cai Jones fired a shot in from the left which Ramsey failed to hold 
but there was no one on hand to take advantage. Next Gareth Parry at the near post headed inches 
over and Cai Jones forced Ramsey to save at the expense of a corner. The Welsh Schools international 
was in the thick of things as he combined well with Jack Jones down the right and then when he 
switched to the left he lifted a cross which found Paul Roberts in space in the box and the 
experienced striker steadied himself and fired low past Ramsey  from 12 yards. To the end though 
the lively Caersws were a real threat on the break, and when Neil Mitchell found Mark Griffiths it 
required a smart save from Richard Harvey and Richard Evans, late on, was only narrowly wide when 
he fired an angled shot across the face of goal.

This is a game Port will want to forget and a second consecutive disappointing defeat brings a halt 
to the late run up the table. Several more additions to the injury list, at least one serious enough 
to need hospital treatment, will not help matters either.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts (Darren Jones 39’), Mike Foster, Gareth Jones Evans, Gareth 
Owen, Dan Pyrs, Cai Jones, Jack Jones, Paul Roberts, Marcus Orlik (Gareth Parry 61’), Darren Gowans 
(Campbell Harrison 89’). Yellow: Gareth Jones Evans 45’.

Caersws: Alex Ramsey, Gareth Williams, Jack Hughes (Geraint Lewis 63’), Gareth Sudlow, Scott Williams, 
Graham Jones, Richard Evans, Neil Mitchell (Graham Watkins 81’), Graham Evans (Tom Lapworth 63’), Mark 
Griffiths, Jacob Smith.

Referee: Nick Pratt (Connah’s Quay).                                            Attendance: 141. 

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Tuesday, 29 March.
Match Sponsor: Balfour Beatty & Jones Brothers 

CPD Porthmadog ... 0                     Ruthin Town ... 1
                                           Kevin Garland 17’

This was a very frustrating evening for Port and their supporters as total domination of 
possession failed to secure the points. Instead a goal on the break  after 17 minutes 
backed from then on by some excellent defensive work kept out wave after wave of Port attacks. 
Heroes of the night for Ruthin were their central defensive partnership Shaun Williams and 
Jack Jones who dealt with a constant barrage of high balls into the box from crosses, corners 
and free kicks. They were ably supported by a well organised 9 man defence, always able to get 
a head or foot in at the right time to hold out for a second consecutive 1-0 win on the road. 

From the first whistle it was Port on the attack and an early corner headed in by Ryan Davies 
was cleared off the line by a well positioned James Price and when Marcus Orlik crossed 
dangerously from the right Jack Jones cleared over his own cross bar. The attacks continued 
with Gareth Jones Evans winning the ball well on the edge of the box and firing straight at Rich 
Parry in the Ruthin goal. Paul Roberts had a shot deflected for a corner  and Carl Owen fired 
from 25 yards but once more it was straight at keeper Parry. The only time Ruthin threatened at 
this stage lead to a free kick down the left and when Will Roberts crossed for Jones to fire wide. 
But with 17 minutes on the clock good work by the lively Adam Jenkins outpaced the Port defence 
down the left before crossing low into the 6 yard box. Poor covering at the back allowed the 
cross to reach Kevin Garland at the back post and he drilled low past Richard Harvey from close 
range. This was the break that Ruthin wanted and they pulled bodies back behind the ball to make 
life difficult for Port going forward. All the action remained at the Ruthin end of the pitch 
with headers by Darren Gowans and Rhys Roberts failing to hit the target  and when Darren Gowans 
played a low ball into the box Dan Pyrs met it without managing to get enough on the ball and 
keeper Parry saved again.

Port upped their game from the start of the second period but a good early break by Gareth Jones 
Evans ended with another shot straight at the keeper. A minute later Ryan Davies found the net 
only for the referee to blow up for an infringement. A rare Ruthin break down the right ended with 
Matt Davies firing wide. Port soon resumed the attack with an 18 yard effort by Marcus Orlik which 
was wide of the target and soon after the same player burst into the box but he delayed his shot 
enough for Parry to rush out to block the shot. Ryan Davies lifted a shot over the bar when a cross 
came suddenly towards him. Marcus Orlik continued in the thick of the action and was unlucky to 
see his 25 yard free kick rattle the cross bar. The wave of attacks continued but a narrow miss or 
good defensive cover kept out Port. When Cai Jones curled a low cross into the near post it was 
only inches out of Carl Owen’s reach. Twice in the closing stages Rhys Roberts came frustratingly 
close first with a shot and even closer with a header meeting an excellent Richie Owen cross. In 
injury time a melee after a Marcus Orlik free kick ended with another timely header off the line. 
Only once did Ruthin threaten during the later stages when lone forward Adam Jenkins  did well 
cutting in from the left but sent his shot into the side netting. 
The goal just wouldn’t come. A disciplined Ruthin defensive performance dealt with everything Port 
could throw at them and at that times those attacks lacked variety with the central defenders 
dealing more than competently with any high balls into the box.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Richie Owen, Gareth Jones Evans, Ryan Davies 
(Euron Roberts 76’), Rhys Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Dan Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Carl Owen 
(Craig Roberts 80’), Darren Gowans (Cai Jones 63’). Subs not used: Gareth Owen, Mike Foster. 
Yellow: Jack Jones 26’, Ryan Davies 36’.

Ruthin: Rich Parry, Jamie Price, Joe Garner (Chris Hogg 53’), Jack Jones, Shaun Williams, Mark 
Entwhistle, Aaron aby, Matt Davies, Kevin Garland (Trystan Prosser 65’), Adam Jenkins, Will Roberts.
sub not used: Gareth Barker. Yellow: Joe Garner 18’, Kevin Garland 34’,Aaron Aby68’)

Referee: Ryan Hillier-Smith                                         Attendance: 128.

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Wednesday, 23 March
Match Sponsor:Golden Eagle Gallery, Cricieth.

CPD Porthmadog ... 4		Llangefni ... 1
P. Roberts (pen) '7		M. Evans '45
R. Davies '19
C. Owen '24
M. Orlik '56		

One point and one place separated these two sides in the HGA table at the start of tonight's 
game but events on the field made the gap appear considerably more. Winning a penalty after 
only 7 minutes and then going on to score two more before 25 minutes had gone, set Port on 
their way to three points. Port dominated the game from start to finish and apart from a 
couple of runs from Marc Evans -one of them leading to the Llangefni goal- it was one way 
traffic. With Gareth Jones Evans and Dan Pyrs running the midfield Port created a hatful of 
chances and had they taken even half of them the margin of the win could have been far greater. 

From the start Port threatened and early on a Gareth Jones Evans run from midfield and cross 
was scrambled away for a corner. But after 7 minutes Marshall-Jones brought down Carl Owen  
in the box and the referee J B Roberts pointed to spot. Paul Roberts fired his penalty inside 
Kieran Williams' right hand post for his 11th league goal. Marc Evans for Llangefni, with a rare 
attack after 15 minutes, used his pace to break into the box but good defensive work by Ryan 
Davies kept him out. Minutes later Ryan was in action at the other end of the pitch. A well 
worked Marcus Orlik corner was turned into the box by Paul Roberts towards Ryan Davies who stunned 
the Llangefni defence with a smart back heel effort into the corner of the net. Port continued to 
apply the pressure and keeper Williams did well to keep out a Rhys Roberts shot at the expense of 
a corner and a Carl Owen effort from the corner was cleared off the line. But Carl Owen did not 
have to wait long to get on the score sheet racing near post to head another Marcus Orlik corner 
past Keiran Williams' outstretched hands. Three goals up but Port continued on the attack. A Darren 
Gowans volley flew wide and a Carl Owen effort was deflected for a corner. Paul Roberts with half 
time approaching ran on to a well directed Carl Owen downward header but with only the goalkeeper 
to beat pulled his shot across the face of goal and wide. Then on the stroke of half time Llangefni 
managed to release Marc Evans with a header over the defence -following a goal kick- and the striker 
raced into the box finishing coolly with a shot across Richard Harvey into the net. Port lead 3-1 
at the interval.

The second half started much the same as the first with Port again in the driving seat. Gareth 
Jones Evans had a shot deflected over the bar, Darren Gowans fired wide of the target and Paul Roberts' 
glancing header flew narrowly wide. But with 56 minutes gone Port were awarded a free kick 22 yards 
out. Up stepped Marcus Orlik to crack a superb free kick into the left hand corner of the net giving 
the keeper no chance. Sub Cai Jones announced his arrival on the pitch setting up Marcus Orlik with 
a strong run and a square ball but the forward to hit his shot across the keeper and narrowly wide. 
Llangefni then upped their game for a period forcing a couple of well taken corners and Rhys Roberts 
twice made good clearing headers and Darren Thomas fired over the bar. Both sides made their quota of 
substitutions and with Port holding a three goal advantage the game tended to lose shape and urgency. 
Port continued to threaten but several promising moves failed to flourish as they lacked a good final 
ball. But it would be quibbling to find fault in a game where Port dominated playing some excellent 

Having found goals hard to come by for most of the season Port over the past few weeks have suddenly 
found their shooting boots scoring 18 goals in the last five games. Though this win does not improve 
their position in the table they have now closed up on Rhos, Flint and Llandudno.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Richie Owen, Gareth Jones Evans (Mike Foster 87'), Ryan Davies, 
Rhys Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Dan Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Carl Owen (Cai Jones 55', Euron Roberts 77'), 
Darren Gowans.
Yellow: Gareth Jones Evans 45', Dan Pyrs 90', Paul Roberts 90'.

Llangefni: Kieran Williams, Dean Wright, Steve Kehoe, Rick Higham, Rob Marshall Jones (Matthew Hughes 
46'), Mike Robinson, Kevin Roberts, Tom Dix, Marc Evans, Darren Thomas, Leigh Craven (Scott Reid 80'). 
Subs not used:
Gavin Buckland, Mike Innes, Graham Austin. Yellow: Tom Dicks 29', Darren Thomas 89'.

Referee: J B Roberts (Llanllyfni)			               Attendance: 137.

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Saturday, 19 March

Rhayader Town ... 3		CPD Porthmadog ... 5
Mike Collister 11’		Carl Owen 8’,18’
Lance Jones 82’		Craig Roberts20’
Rhys Thomas 90’		Marcus Orlik 55’
			Rhys Roberts 65’

For a second consecutive Saturday Port netted 5 goals to gain a very comfortable 
victory and inflict, on the home side, what is a 10th consecutive league defeat.
Port got off to  the best possible start and were a Carl Owen goal up in the 8th 
minute. They were 3-1 up at the half way and by the 65th minute Port were a commanding
5-1 up and cruising and should have gone on to score a few more. But conceding two
late goals through some sloppy defending took a little of the shine off a win which means
that they have picked up 7 points from the last nine.

On a surprisingly hard dry pitch it was clear that the lively ball would take some 
controlling and, with some strong physical tackles flying in, it was clear from the 
start that referee John Spender would need to exercise a firm hand.  How successfully 
he did this is open to question. From the start Port were on the attack and looking 
the most likely to gain an early goal. This proved to be the case as a ball played 
from midfield took a deflection into the path of Carl Owen who took full advantage, 
breaking behind the home defence to fire  a low 15 yard shot which rattled the inside 
of the post on its way into the net. But the early lead was short lived as some hesitant 
defence allowed Mike Collister to find the room to latch on to Lance Jones’ left wing 
corner and his shot from 8 yards was deflected wide of Richard Harvey. The goal provided 
only temporary relief for the home side as Port were soon on the attack again. Dan Pyrs 
on the right supplied a good low cross which just eluded Carl Owen and Gareth Jones Evans 
racing in at the back post failed to get enough on the ball and it slithered wide.

Port were back in the lead after 18 minutes when Carl Owen met Marcus Orlik’s cross at 
the near post and a low header squeezed inside the post. Two minutes later and the 
visitors were 3-1 up. Darren Gowans was the provider this time with a quality angled ball 
putting Craig Roberts behind the defence on the left. The forward cut inside to finish 
with a confident angled 15 yard shot. Port, though they did not add to the 3-1 lead before 
the interval, continued to threaten the home goal. There were a couple of well struck 
efforts from Gareth Jones Evans and a Carl Owen header which screwed narrowly wide. Rhayder 
rarely threatened and their only other worthwhile effort on goal was a Glenn Evans free 
kick which curled narrowly outside the post.

10 minutes into the second half and Port further extended their lead when Marcus Orlik 
chased to the bye line, outwitted the full back and from a very narrow angle fired the ball 
across the keeper and into the far corner for a quality finish. As Port continued to apply 
the pressure Darren Gowans tested keeper Price from the edge of the box following a corner. 
Just past the hour mark Cai Jones raced on to an excellent Orlik through ball but lifted his 
shot over the bar. But four minutes later came the fifth goal when Rhys Roberts netted for 
the fourth consecutive game and not for the first time he rose highest at the back post to 
meet Marcus Orlik’s corner to head inside the post. 5-1 up with 65 minutes gone proved to be 
the high point for Port. Cai Jones almost replicated the Marcus Orlik goal from a narrow 
angle but the shot was cleared off the line.

Rhayader then raised their game to take advantage of some very sloppy defending.
A warning had been issued when Richard Harvey was forced to save at point blank range when
Richards received a cross at the far post. The warning was not heeded and when unnecessary
free kicks were conceded around the box Rhayader took advantage. From the first of these
with eight minutes left the ball was only cleared as far as Glenn Evans who crossed low
for Lance Jones to score from close range. With yet another free kick conceded it came to
Rhys Thomas who found himself one on one with Richard Harvey and scored the home side’s
third. This was a disappointing end to a good performance but Port almost ended with a final
flourish when Paul Roberts and Cai Jones set up Marcus Orlik but the shot was sliced over
the bar from 15 yards.

The 6th win on the road lifts Port two places to 7th and sets up a keen contest against 
Llangefni on Wednesday night.

Porthmadog; Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Mike Foster, Gareth Jones Evans, Ryan Davies, Rhys 
Roberts (Gareth Owen 80’), Marcus Orlik, Dan Pyrs, Craig Roberts (Paul Roberts 29’), Carl Owen 
( Cai Jones 62’), Darren Gowans. Subs not used: Euron Roberts, Richie Owen. Yellow: 
Rhys Roberts 36’, Ryan Davies 45’, Marcus Orlik 68’.

Rhayader:  Eifion Price,  Robbie Steel, Tyrone McFadden, Glenn Evans, Dave Sivell, Tom Evans, 
Lance Evans, Christian Jones, Rhys Thomas, Oliver Richards (Matt Morgan 59’), Mike Collister. 
Subs not used: Karl Jones, Hywel Evans, Dylan McPhee. Yellow: Tom Evans 80’.

Referee: John Spender (Leasewood)

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Tuesday, 15 March

Penrhyn-coch ... 1                     	CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Mark Egan '62 (pen)		Rhys Roberts '90

Having negotiated a journeyof a thousand traffic cones and more 
lights than on the largest Christmas tree, Port were entitled to 
more than a point. On the run of play, in a game which they dominated 
from start to finish, they could also have  expected more. But in the 
end they were relieved to snatch a point thanks to an 89th minute Rhys 
Roberts equaliser which at least gave them something from a game which 
appeared to have been taken from them by Mark Egan’s 62 minute spot kick. 
The second half goals followed a first half which Port completely 
dominated but failed to convert the chances which should have secured the 
points before the half time whistle was blown. Penrhyn-coch were well 
served by keeper Llew Hughes who kept them in the game on more than 
one occasion.

Port were on the attack from the start playing down the Cae Baker slope. 
Early efforts on goal came from Carl Owen and Gareth Jones Evans but the 
nearest they came to opening the score was when Darren Gowans cut in from 
the left and unleashed a low shot which keeper Llew Hughes needed a second 
bite, at his near post under pressure from Carl Owen, before completing the 
save. It was clear that the home side would have to rely on counter attacks 
with Dan James showing well breaking quickly on the left but despite a Richard 
Harvey save under pressure from Mark Egan the Port  defence looked in control. 
Most of the action remained in and around the Penrhyn-coch box. Carl Owen 
lifted his 15 yard shot over the bar and there were numerous corners which failed 
to produce a goal. The nearest Port came to open the scoring was a Paul Roberts 
thunderbolt, hit on the turn, which rattled the outside of the upright. Soon after 
Paul Roberts turned supplier and Marcus Orlik chased an angled ball played behind 
the home defence but with the ball running away from him down the slope he screwed 
his shot narrowly over the bar. The only real home opportunity of the half came 
when sub Cledan Davies played a good low ball in at the near post, but Stuart Frazer, 
though well placed, lifted his shot over the bar. The half ended with Port again on 
the attack and another Paul Roberts effort drifted narrowly wide. The half-time was 
reached with Penrhyn-coch hardly able to believe their luck at finding themselves 
still on level terms in such a one sided half of football.

Port were on the attack again immediately and the home side were again grateful 
to their keeper Llew Hughes as he scrambled away a Paul Roberts effort. Playing down 
the slope the home side did offer more in the way of attacks and from one of these 
Chris Williams’ shot from the right dipped just over the bar. But with 62 minutes 
gone Port paid the price for failing to take advantage of 80% of the play when 
Ryan Davies brought down Josh Shaw just inside the box and referee Aled Jones issued 
a yellow card. He pointed to the spot and Mark Egan stepped up to fire the spot kick 
inside Richard Harvey’s right hand post. The home side could hardly believe their good 
fortune at finding themselves in pole position. Port redoubled their efforts after the 
penalty and the game now became centred in and around the Penrhyn-coch penalty area. 
A mixture of sturdy defending and inspired goalkeeping somehow kept Port at bay. A low 
Paul Roberts cross to the far post was driven hard by Carl Owen only for Llew Hughes to 
save with his legs and minutes later the keeper turned a Dan Pyrs shot round the post. 
Again the keeper was in action from the Mike Foster  corner, this time pushing Carl 
Owen’s header over the bar. Rhys Roberts had by this time joined the front men and added 
his strength and vigour to the cause. His presence in the box paid off right on the 
stroke of 90 minutes when Euron Roberts’ long cross from the right fell for him in the 
box and he notched the late equaliser with a low shot from 12 yards. This was Rhys’ 
fifth goal in the last four games, quite return for a centre back! Port pressure 
continued through added time but there was no fairy tale ending. 

When it is considered that Rhyl(twice), Cefn Druids and Flint have all returned empty 
handed from Cae Baker, a point might not seem quite so bad in retrospect. 

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Dan 
Pyrs, Gareth Jones Evans, Marcus Orlik (Cai Jones 68’) Paul Roberts, Carl Owen, Darren 
Gowans (Craig Roberts 74’). Subs not used: Richie Owen, Gareth Owen. Yellow: Ryan Davies 62’, 
Cai Jones 76’.

Penrhyn-coch: Llew Hughes, Eilian Evans, Mark Gornall, Llyr Hughes (Leigh Jenkins 73’), 
Ian Foligno, Gari Lewis (Cledan Davies 17’), Chris Williams, Dan James, Stuart Frazer, 
Josh Shaw, Mark Egan. Subs not used: Stuart Rogers, Elwyn Edwards, Dale Williams. 
Yellow: Mark Gornall 40’,  Chris Williams 50’.

Referee: Aled Jones (Lampeter)

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Saturday, 12 March

CPD Porthmadog ... 5                     Guilsfield ... 0
Rhys Roberts 13’,90’
Gareth J Evans 72’
Paul Roberts 88’,90+

This was a  game where Port, despite being well in control for 
the majority of the 90 minutes, looked set to make life difficult 
for themselves hanging on to a 13th minute lead. All that changed 
dramatically with Gareth Jones Evans’ super strike after 72 minutes, 
his first goal for the club. From then on in Port turned their 
territorial advantage into a series of gilt edged opportunities which 
they eventually managed to capitalise upon with three very late goals 
giving the scoreline a more accurate reflection of the play.

In the first minute Paul Roberts tested visitors’ keeper David  Jones 
who saved an angled shot at the expense of a corner. Port continued 
to apply the early pressure and Jones needed to be alert keeping out 
a fierce Carl Owen shot as the forward broke in from the right. There 
was not long to wait for the opening goal Gareth Jones Evans lifted a 
partial clearance back into the box for Ryan Davies to head into the 
goalmouth where Rhys Roberts found himself free to head past Jones 
into the net. Following the goal Port continued to look the more 
likely to score as Dan Pyrs lifted a shot over the bar after a patient 
build-up and Carl Owen screwed his header wide from a Mike Foster 
cross. During this period Guilsfield only managed one real attack 
with Cookson firing an angled shot straight at Richard Harvey. As the 
half wore on the game became increasingly untidy but Guilsfield did 
enjoy a better spell winning a couple corners but these came to 
nothing. Despite the lack of clear openings Port continued to dominate 
territorially and Orlik’s corner found Paul Roberts who forced 
Dave Jones to turn the shot round his near post.  Soon after Jones 
saved this time from Marcus Orlik, again at the expense of a corner as 
Carl Owen and Marcus Orlik combined well on the edge of the box. But 
half-time came with the score remaining 1-0 to Port, who had failed 
to turn possession into goals. 

The second half continued in much the same vein with Port very much 
in charge and six minutes into the half Darren Gowans lifted an accurate 
cross to the far post but Paul Roberts failed to direct his header wide 
of Jones. The best Port chance came from a counter attack where Carl Owen 
raced from halfway beating a defender before cutting into the box, but 
from a narrow angle lifted the ball over the bar. A rare Guilsfield 
attempt at goal came via a Cookson free kick but Frame’s header was 
wide of the target. Just when frustration was building up as Port failed 
to break a stubborn Guilsfield resistance, Gareth Jones Evans carved an 
escape route. The 18 year-old broke from midfield to the edge of the 
box, deviated to the right, and whipped a superb 18 yard cracker across 
Dave Jones into the corner of the net. Soon after Cai Jones was only 
narrowly wide after cutting in from the left and Ryan Davies angled his 
header wide from an Orlik corner. But with only two minutes left Paul 
Roberts added Port’s third after Jack Jones had released Craig 
Roberts down the right and the sub found Paul Roberts with a low cross 
for a close range finish. With the clock showing 90 minutes  Mike Foster 
lifted a free kick to the back post where Rhys Roberts squeezed his 
second goal inside the upright, The scoring was still not over and well 
into added time Gareth Jones Evans broke down the left and his low cross 
picked out Paul Roberts once again in the right place at the right time 
for another close range finish.

Guilsfield fresh from Huws Gray Cup success, reaching the final with a 
win over Caersws, found little to enthuse them at the Traeth today. Port 
on the other hand will be happy with the three points and that the late 
goals will have had a beneficial effect on their goal difference as will 
the clean sheet.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts (Jack Jones 75’), Mike Foster, 
Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans, Dan Pyrs, Marcus Orlik, 
Paul Roberts, Carl Owen (Craig Roberts 81’), Darren Gowans( Cai Jones 60’). 
Subs not used: Gareth Owen, Richie Owen. 
Guilsfield: Davis Jones, David Williams (Lee Richards 80’), Llion Davies, 
Gareth Jones, James Henderson, Jonathan Jones, John Harris, Richard Astley 
(Graham Dyke 63’), Ross Frame, Rob Cookson, Mark Davies.
Sub not used: Russell Cadwallader. Yellow: Jonathan Jones (89’).

Referee: Nick Pratt (Connah’s Quay).                    Attendance: 129.


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us