CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Y Tabl / The Table
Trafod / Discussion
Academi / Academy
Ystadegau / Statistics
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Rhaeadr / Rhayader (h) | Bwcle / Buckley [HGC] (Rhyl) | Derwyddon Cefn Druids (a) | Rhos Aelwyd (a) |

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Saturday, 23 April

Rhos Aelwyd ... 2		CPD Porthmadog ... 5
Jon Rush 18í 46í		Ryan Davies 10í
			Paul Roberts 41í 87í 90í
			Mike Foster 89í (p)

In the end the score line reflected Portís dominance of the game scoring 
three very late goals to complete a double over Rhos Aelwyd. The Wrexham 
area club however had to play for the last 25 minutes with only nine 
players as Andy Torrance followed Dan Gibbon off the field having received 
a straight red card. Port however were totally dominant and could easily 
have been four goals up within the first 15 minutes. Only stout defence 
allied to umpteen squandered chances prevented Port from being way out of 
sight quite early in the proceedings.

Port were off to  flying start and in the first minute Paul Roberts could 
have put them ahead when he fired wide when well place on the edge of the 
box. Twice in the next few minutes the striker got himself in scoring 
positions only to be denied by Simon Williams who in the second of these 
pulled off an excellent save  diving to his right. But with 10 minutes gone 
Port gained a well deserved lead when Rhys Roberts headed a Marcus Orlik 
corner back across goal for Ryan Davies to squeeze his header inside the post. 
The chances continued to come for Port  with Paul Roberts running on to a 
Marcus Orlik through ball but under pressure from two defenders his shot went 
wide.  Having been penned back in their own half Rhos did finally break out 
and Josh Russellís angled shot was well saved by Richard Harvey. Port could 
well have been four goals up in the first 15 minutes but with 18 minutes gone 
the home side drew level against the run of play. Russell broke down the right 
slipped the ball inside for  Fitzsimmons whose excellent cross was headed past 
Richard Harvey from 5 yards by Jon Rush. Following this set back Port continued 
to dominate and a good Jack Jones cross provided Marcus Orlik with a shooting 
opportunity but the shot drifted narrowly wide. Jamie McDaid, who was having a 
tremendous game threatening down the right before switching to the left, burst 
from midfield to provide Paul Roberts with a superb through ball  only for more 
disappointment as the strikerís shot struck the foot of the post before bouncing 
to safety. But with four minutes left to the interval controversy struck as 
Marcus Orlik raced into the box with only the keeper to beat, found himself 
upended with a tackle from behind. Referee Nick Pratt consulted his linesman 
before showing the tackler Dan Gibbon a straight red card as the last defender, 
and awarded a penalty. Diving to his right Simon Williams pushed out Paul Robertsí 
spot kick only for the same player to follow up and score from the rebound to make 
the score 2-1 at the interval.

Rhos Aelwyd were out of the blocks at pace at the start of the second half and 
Richard Harvey had to race off his line to go down at the feet of Mick Burke but 
the ball squirted kindly to Jon Rush who netted his second lifting the ball into 
the empty goal. The 10 men now had something to hold on to and defended in numbers 
relying on Mick Burke and Jon Rush to strike on the break. The home side defended 
well and the Port chances were now far fewer than in the opening period. Marcus Orlik 
tested Williams with a powerful shot which the keeper needed a second bite to complete 
his save and Ben Jones for Rhos drew a good save from Richard Harvey. But with 65 
minutes gone Port did manage to open the Rhos defence and with Williams finding himself 
stranded off his line Paul Roberts fired goalwards from 8 yards only to be denied a 
goal by the hand of Andy Torrance who received his marching orders from Mr Pratt for a 
deliberate hand ball. This time Marcus Orlik stepped up for the spot kick and again 
Simon Williams saved but this time there was no fortunate rebound so 9 man Rhos still 
had something to defend. Marshalled by Wayne Phillips they stuck to their task and 
indeed it looked very likely that they would escape with a point. Richie Owen almost 
broke the deadlock with a 35 yard cracker which struck the post. Then with three minutes 
of normal time left Gareth Owen lifted a superb deep cross from the right touchline 
dipping perfectly on to Paul Robertsí head and the striker made no mistake directing his 
header well wide of Simon Williams into the net. Two minutes later and the ever lively 
Jamie McDaid was tripped in the box. Up stepped Portís third penalty taker of the 
afternoon and this time Mike Foster made no mistake giving the keeper no chance from 12 
yards. With normal time up there was still time for an added time goal. Jamie McDaid 
capitalised on a well worked Port move to break into the box and looked certain to score 
a goal which his play on the afternoon richly deserved but his shot struck the underside 
of the bar and bounced back, but itís an ill wind as they say as Paul Roberts gratefully 
accepted his second rebound of the afternoon to complete his hat trick!

In the end justice was done and Rhosís four match winning run was ended. On to Ruthin on 
Monday to meet a club who have today extended their winning run to six matches.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones ( Carl Owen 54í), Mike Foster, Richie Owen, Ryan 
Davies ( Darren Jones 69í), Gareth Owen, Jamie McDaid, Rhys Roberts, Paul Roberts, Marcus 
Orlik, Darren Gowans ( Cai Jones 74í).  

Rhos Aelwyd: Simon Williams, Dave McIntyre, Craig Hughes (Jamie Jones 70í), K Fitzsimmons, 
Andy Torrance, Dan Gibbon,  Ben Jones, Wayne Phillips, Mike Burke, Jon Rush (Matthew Holmes), 
Josh Russell. Subs not used: Darren Hignett, Mike Parry, Mike Pugh. Red Cards: Dan Gibbon 41í, 
Andy Torrance 65í.

Referee: Nick Pratt (Connahís Quay)		Attendance: 120                                                                                       

Huws Gray Alliance 	-Saturday, 16 April
Cefn Druids … 2		CPD Porthmadog … 1
Andrew Swarbrick  ’72, ‘87     	Marcus Orlik ‘44

Whatever happened during the 90 minutes was sadly overshadowed by an attack 
on a Porthmadog player on his way back to the changing rooms, and that was 
followed by a similar incident which involved a home supporter. This is 
something that has never been seen in a game involving Porthmadog and 
hopefully never will again.
Before the game there were concerns over the quality of the newly laid 
pitch at the Rock, especially as it had been decided the league cup final 
is to be held there. The pitch was bobbly all over and many areas had no 
grass whatsoever. Probably the poorest surface that Port have played on 
all season. 
This set the scene for what was going to be a battle all game of who 
would deal best with the long balls and pick up the second balls allover 
the pitch. Cefn started brighter and Adam Hesp was soon into action with 
his long throws. Any time Cefn were in the Port half he was called upon to 
launch throw after throw into the Port box. To their credit, Port dealt 
with everything thrown at them, with the back four excellently marshalled 
and supported by Richie Owen in front.
After 10 minutes Paul Roberts found himself in behind the defence and 
through on goal and was clearly pulled back by Robbie James but to the 
astonishment of the Port players and supporters neither the ref or the 
linesman who could only have been 10 meters from the incident penalised the 
Druids centre back and waved play on. This was to be the first of many 
dubious and incorrect decisions from the ref during the afternoon.
Druids continued to press but didn't force Richard Harvey to deal with 
anything other than a few simple catches. As the half wore on Porthmadog 
grew in confidence and Marcus Orlick had a few sighters at goal but without 
really testing the home keeper. Dan Pyrs then found himself in the ref's 
book for a few badly timed tackles before a Richie Owen cross found its way 
to Marcus Orlick on the edge of the box, and this time the striker made no 
mistake hitting a cracker into the top corner of the net.
The joy for the away fans though was short lived as two minutes later 
another Hesp long throw was not dealt with by the Port defence and landed at 
the feet of a Druids striker. As he was about to shoot he was pulled down by 
Dan Pyrs who received his marching orders. Druids missed the penalty - high 
and wide to the left.  1-0 Port at half time.
The second half was as expected. Port moved Craig Roberts into centre 
midfield alongside Richie Owen and Paul Roberts slotted in on the right hand 
side. For all of Druids' possession they couldn't break down an organised and 
determined Port back line. With 25 minutes left the Druids striker found space 
behind the defence and lobbed the advancing Harvey, only to see his effort 
bounce over the cross bar off the hard ground. Another bad decision by the ref 
halted a great Port counter attack with Gowans clean through from a Paul 
Roberts pass. With Port down to 10 men they started to tire and another Hesp 
long throw into the box caught out the Port defence with Andrew Sawbrick tapping 
in at the far post,  minutes after coming on as a second half substitute. Port 
brought on Cai Jones and Jamie McDaid on for the tiring Gowans and Craig Roberts 
but continued to have to keep Druids at bay.
With time running out another ball in behind the Port defence found Sawbrick 
who turned well and placed a low shot across Harvey into the corner of the net 
for his second of the afternoon. 
No more chances for either side during the 5 added on minutes but still time
for the ref to miss a clear foul on Marcus Orlick as well as a good shout for 
a penalty.
On the balance of play Druids probably deserved to win, but Port will have 
felt hard done by to leave without any points following all the effort and 
hard work they had put in. The ref though (and not for the first time this 
season) didn't do Port any favours.

Port: Harvey, J. Jones, G. Owen, R. Roberts (Capt), M. Foster (G. Parry '87),
C. Roberts (C. Jones '70), D. Pyrs, R. Owen, Gowans (McDaid '70), Orlik,
P. Roberts. 

Huws Gray Challenge Cup                         -Wednesday, 13 April.

Buckley 1			CPD Porthmadog 3
Anthony Williams 63'		Marcus Orlik 43'
			Paul Roberts 48'
			Mike Foster pen 59'

Despite all the problems of 3 ineligible players, 2 called up for international	
duty and a lengthy injury list Porthmadog pulled off a remarkable win in the 
semi-final of the Huws Gray Challenge Cup at Rhyl on Wednesday. With five of 
the starting 11 carrying injuries it was an achievement to get 11 players on 
the pitch and the signs were not good early on as Buckley dominated possession 
with Porthmadog hardly getting out of their own half in the opening 15 minutes. 
In that time Neil Wynne went close with two speculative efforts.  

Eventually Port did get a foothold in the game and Orlik fired into the side 
netting after 15 minutes. Orlik had an even better chance five minutes later 
when a cross from Paul Roberts found him but the striker totally missed his 
kick when well placed. Buckley still had most of the play but the Port defence 
dealt with their threat well.  

On 27 minutes Paul Roberts was presented with a golden opportunity after a 
through pass from Jones-Evans but was unable to round the keeper Jamie Hulse. 
Buckley's Wes Brereton went close with a rasping 25 yard free kick on 40 
minutes while a delicate lob by Jones Evans was stopped by the extended 
fingertips of Hulse moments later. The deadlock was eventually broken in 
spectacular fashion when Mike Foster took a quick throw in to Orlik who chested 
the ball in-field and then unleashed a superb dipping half-volley from 35 yards 
which gave Hulse in the Buckley goal no chance. That must have drastically 
changed the half-time talks in both camps and things changed further when 
Porthmadog added a second three minutes into the second period.  

Porthmadog broke following some Buckley pressure with a powerful 50 yard run by 
Jones Evans, a 1-2 with Paul Roberts put the young midfielder in behind the 
Buckley rear guard and his cut back found Roberts who fired accurately into the 
bottom left hand corner of the net. Jones Evans injured by his exertions was 
substituted with Craig Roberts coming on. Port were now rampant and added a 
third when Orlik broke into the box on the left only to be up-ended by a rash 
challenge by right back Freeman. Mike Foster calmly converted from the spot. 
Four minutes later and Buckley themselves were awarded a penalty when a 
bouncing ball was adjudged to have been handled by a Port defender, Anthony 
Williams slotting home to pull one back.  

Buckley now went all out attack pushing centre half Gareth Edwards into the 
front line and going three at the back. Buckley had their chances with Stuart 
Hayes and Brereton going close. Paul Roberts meanwhile had another one on one 
situation with the keeper only to be denied again and an Orlik free kick went 
just over. As if to underline Buckley's misery another late opportunity by 
Williams was superbly blocked on the line by Ryan Davies with Harvey out of 
position. All credit to the players for their efforts and a great win 
especially when you consider that Buckley had beaten us twice in the League, 
made all the more impressive when you consider that five players were playing 
with injuries which in normal circumstances would have ensured them a seat in 
the stand. Porthmadog will now meat Guilsfield in the final on May 7th at a 
venue to be confirmed.

Porthmadog: Harvey, Jack Jones. Foster, Darren Jones (Parry 90), Ryan Davies, 
Gareth Owen, Jones-Evans (Craig Roberts 50'), Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Orlik 
(Harrison 90), Richie Owen

Buckley: Hulse, Freeman (Pugh 65), Delgado (Roberts 72), Rowlands, Edwards, 
Brereton (Calder 81), Leonard, Chaloner, Hayes, Williams, Wynne Subs not used 
Liam Jones, Armour

Gerallt Owen

Huws Gray Alliance                         -Saturday, 9 April.

CPD Porthmadog ... 4		Rhayader Town ... 2
Paul Roberts 12’ 80’		Oliver Richards 70’
Carl Owen 27’ 38’		Tyrone McFadden 90'

A dominant first half performance enabled an injury ridden Port  to complete a 
double over the mid-Wales club. Three goals up at the interval and with Carl 
Owen repeating the first half brace at the Weirglodd the Traeth men looked set 
for a comfortable win. But as happened in the corresponding game, Rhayader fought 
back in the second period. When however the visitors pulled one back and began to 
look threatening, Paul Roberts put the game out of their reach with his second, 
an excellent glancing header. Though Rhayader added a late second the damage, as 
far as they were concerned, had been done in the first half.

Port were off to a good start and in only the second minute Darren Gowans found 
himself in acres of space on the left of the box but skewed his shot wide of the 
post. But the visitors fighting to keep their place in the league posed a 10th 
minute threat when, following a corner, Richard Harvey went down low at his near 
post to keep out an angled shot from McFadden. Then with twelve minutes gone Paul 
Roberts opened the scoring with his 13th league goal of the season. The move which 
started with Gareth Owen at the back was played to Paul Roberts’ feet by Mike 
Foster and with the neatest of touches the striker deceived his marker before cutting 
into the box to finish with a superb angled shot inside the far post. Port continued 
to dominate and the game was largely played in the Rhayader half of the field. Paul 
Roberts came close when he beat keeper Price to a loose ball but in the challenge 
failed to get enough power on his finish. The same player came close when he latched 
on to a Cai Jones corner but Price got down well to keep out the low shot. Co-striker 
Carl Owen was also in the action and with 27 minutes gone it was his determination at 
the back post to reach Rhys Roberts’ downward header was rewarded with a headed goal. 
Port looked to add to their lead and Paul Roberts came close with another header but 
with  seven minutes  of the opening half left Port made it 3-0. It was Carl Owen for 
his second running on to an excellent through ball by Darren Gowans and rounding the 
keeper before firing low into the net. 

That proved to be Darren’s last contribution to the game as he had to be withdrawn at 
the interval and Jamie McDaid was introduced. It was good to see the Welsh Schools 
international back after being out for several weeks especially with Wednesday’s semi 
looming. But it soon became clear that manager Dylan McPhee’s words were resounding in 
his players’ ears as they looked a yard or two sharper than they had been in the first 
period. Play in the second half became broken up with neither side entirely establishing 
control.  But 10 minutes into the half Rhayader showed they were not going to capitulate 
easily forcing a series of corners and applying more pressure than they had at any stage 
in the opening half. McFadden down the left for Rhayader began to receive a better service 
and started to be a threat and with 70 minutes on the clock the visitors got their goal. 
Good work by McFadden breaking to the bye line opened up the Port defence and his low 
cross to the far post was turned into the net by sub Oliver Richards. This was no more 
than they deserved. The goal sparked a response from Port. Paul Roberts and Carl Owen 
combined well but Carl’s header went over the bar. The same player met a Cai Jones cross 
but the header was again just wide of the mark. But with 10 minutes left any danger of a 
fight back was scotched when Paul Roberts scored Port’s fourth. Jamie McDaid, who had 
looked very lively since coming on, broke down the left and struck a super cross to the 
near post to be met by Paul Roberts whose glancing header went across keeper Price into 
the far corner. Price was soon in action again touching a Cai Jones power shot on the turn, 
over the bar. Then with time running out Rhayader scored a second with McFadden coolly 
finding the net following an accurate downward header by Nick Evans.

Now attention turns to the Buckley semi-final on Wednesday and for Gareth and Campbell 
it will be a case of counting the injuries and checking on the walking wounded.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Mike Foster (Darren Jones 81’), Richie Owen, Gareth 
Owen (Richard Hughes 61’), Rhys Roberts, Cai Jones, Dan Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Carl Owen, Darren 
Gowans ( Jamie McDaid 46’) Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Campbell Harrison.

Rhayader: Eifion Price, Robbie Steele (Tim Broome 76’), Mat Morgan, Glen Evans, Dave Sivil, 
Christian Jones (Oliver Richards 68’), Tom Evans, Lance Jones, Nick Evans, Tyrone McFadden, 
Mike Collister. Sub not used Dylan McPhee.

Referee: Martin Williams                                      Attendance: 112                                                                                      


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us