CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Cegidfa / Guilsfield (a) | Rhuthun / Ruthin (h) | Bethesda (h) | Penrhyncoch (a) | Llanrhaeadr (a) |
| Connah's Quay (h)

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 22 October
Match Sponsors: Kim and Richard Payne, Stourbridge

CPD Porthmadog ... 2	gap Connah’s Quay ... 0
Jamie McDaid 49
Darren Thomas 63

An excellent second half performance ensured that Port were able to take 
advantage of Rhyl’s slip at Cefn last night and draw level on points with 
the league leaders. The win also means that they overtake today’s opponents 
into second place in the table. This was a well deserved victory, though a 
game against the current champions can never be described as comfortable. 
After a fruitless first half with the stiff breeze the dominating factor, 
Port took the initiative in the second period taking an early lead and then 
going on to score a second quality goal midway through the half. When the 
Quay made their inevitable late challenge they found the home back four in 
superb form with Ryan Davies winning everything in the air and turning in 
a man of the match performance.

The game almost had a dramatic start when, in only the second minute, Gareth 
Jones Evans used the wind to curl a high ball goalwards from wide on the left. 
It caught John Rushton, the Quay keeper, by surprise striking the bar before 
bouncing behind. Port continued to create the early chances and it needed a 
well timed McGregor tackle to deny Darren Thomas just as the forward steadied 
himself to pull the trigger. Gareth Jones Evans and Darren Thomas then combined 
with the latter heading the cross at keeper Rushton. The visitors did not 
produce a real shooting chance until the 24th minute when Rhys Healey fired 
wide of the post from the edge of the box. But Port continued to look the most 
likely to open the scoring with Rushton closing down Jamie McDaid after he had 
been put through by Rhys Roberts. The best opportunity in the opening half fell 
to Grahame Austin following a Darren Thomas corner on the Port left. The defender 
lifting his shot over the bar when well placed. The half ended goalless with 
neither side really coming to terms with the elements. The half also ended with 
three yellows as the referee responded to some beefy challenges. 

Port introduced new signing Aaron Richmond for the injured Gareth Jones Evans 
at the start of the second half and within four minutes the home side were ahead. 
A super defence splitting diagonal ball from Darren Thomas put Jamie McDaid in 
behind the Quay defence and racing goalwards. He kept his head firing low from 
15 yards and though John Rushton got a touch he could not stop it finding the back 
of the net. Darren Thomas was proving a real handful for the Quay defence and 
Rushton did well to turn a cracking low shot round the post. At the other end the 
ball was only scrambled clear as far as Rhys Healey but the striker lifted his 
shot from 18 yards over the bar. But Connah’s Quay were unable to keep the lively 
Darren Thomas quiet and just short of the hour mark he got on the end of a 
dangerous Chris Williams cross and his header was only narrowly off target. With 
63 minutes on the clock Port got a well deserved second goal and inevitably it 
was Darren Thomas. Initially Rhys Roberts was through on goal but Rushton quickly 
off his line went down at the striker’s feet but could only push the ball away as 
far as Darren Thomas who responded with a cracker from 18 yards high into the 
roof of the Quay net. Port continued to look the more dangerous side and Jamie 
McDaid fired wide of the mark following a good individual break. The visitors 
introduced their subs in an effort to get into the game and for the first time 
in the game put in a late sustained effort but now it was the Port back four of 
Clive Williams, Ryan Davies Grahame Austin and Chris Williams who showed their 
quality closing down, tackling determinedly and protecting their keeper. As a 
result Richard Harvey only had one real save to make. It was sub Rob Jones who 
fired powerfully through a crowded box and, though Richard Harvey did not see it 
very early he pulled of an excellent save diving down to his left. The game ended 
with Port again on the attack with newcomer Aaron Richmond having a chance to stretch 
his legs and fire a couple of useful angled shots. 

The unbeaten league run has now reached double figures and 12 in all competitions. 
That run will be put to the test next Saturday at Buckley when there will be another 
second against third contest! The first leg of a testing six weeks has been safely 
negotiated thanks to an excellent all round team performances with every player 
contributing to the victory.

Port: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, Ryan Davies, 
Grahame Austin, Jamie McDaid (Marcus Orlik 86), Craig Roberts, Rhys Roberts, Darren 
Thomas, Gareth Jones Evans (Aaron Richmond 46)
Subs not used: Phil Williams, Mike Foster, Merfyn Williams (gk), Dan 
McCormick (y). Yellow: Steve Kehoe 33.

Connah’s Quay: John Rushton, Jack Rowlands, Ben Collins, Mark McGregor, Andy Alston, 
Craig Jones (Dave Dempsey 77), Jamie Petrie, Danny Forde, Rhys Healey, (Rob Jones 60), 
James McIntosh, Alan Hooley (M Robinson 71). Sub not used: Sam McNutt. Yellow: Alan 
Hooley 38, Jamie Petrie 43, Craig Jones 47.

Referee: G W Jones (Bontnewydd) Attendance: 174.

Huws Gray Cup Round 1 -Saturday, 15 October

Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant ... 0	CPD Porthmadog ... 7
			Ryan Davies 14
			Marc Evans 25 88
			Darren Thomas 32
			Craig Roberts 29
			Rhys Roberts 47, 69

This was a dominating Port performance in a game which they controlled 
from start to finish. It means they stretch their unbeaten run to 11 
games in all competitions. There were five different scorers on the score 
sheet with Marc Evans and Rhys Roberts recording doubles. Once again it 
was an all round team performance with Steve Kehoe and Craig Roberts 
dominating in midfield and an outstanding attacking performance by Clive 
Williams from right back, providing four goal assists during the afternoon. 

Once the early skirmishes were over Port settled into their well established 
pattern of play. After 6 minutes a long Clive Williams throw into the box 
took a bounce and it needed a good reaction save by keeper Connor Lee to deny 
Jamie McDaid. A minute later and a Marc Evans header flew narrowly wide. But 
with 14 minutes gone Clive Williams lifted a free kick to the far post where 
Ryan Davies rose well and his firm header went into the net via the inside of 
the post to open the scoring. It could have been two within a minute when a 
Chris Williams shot struck the foot of the post and twice Lee had to pull off 
saves to keep Port out. With 25 minutes gone a diagonal ball from Darren 
Thomas put Jamie McDaid away down the right. His low cross found Marc Evans 
on the edge of the box and with excellent close control the forward drifted 
past three defenders before scoring with a low shot inside the keeper’s right 
hand post. With just four more minutes gone Jamie McDaid crossed again into 
the box and though there were a couple of initial blocks Craig Roberts had the 
last word netting from close range to put Port three up within half an hour. 
Only two minutes past the half hour mark Darren Thomas added a fourth firing 
a fine shot from 25 yards following a Marc Evans corner. Little was seen of 
Llanrhaeadr as an attacking presence but their best attacks resulted from good 
work by Daniel Kelly. He made a couple of breaks just before the interval one 
of these provided Jamie Evans with a shooting opportunity but the shot went 
over the bar from 18 yards. Then Kelly himself fired an angled shot which went 
across the goal and wide. At the interval Port were 4-0 ahead.

Only two minutes into the second period Rhys Roberts put Port further ahead 
when a Clive Williams cross found him in space in the box and though the keeper 
pushed away his initial shot Rhys was on to it again and netted with a low 
angled shot. Port continued to push forward and Craig Roberts tested keeper Lee 
with a firm shot but there was not long to wait for Port’s sixth and it was Rhys 
Roberts for his second taking advantage of some lax defending meeting yet another 
Clive Williams cross with a well placed header. Six goals up and Port relaxed a 
little and Llanrhaeadr with more steadiness could have got themselves a goal. 
Jamie Evans on 76 minutes should have taken advantage of some Port hesitation but 
from the edge of the box his shot was well off target. The home side’s best 
opportunity came with four minutes left when Alun Jones forced his way in on goal 
but with only Richard Harvey to beat the finish was again disappointing. Port then 
had the last word and it was Clive Williams again this time breaking to the bye 
line and Marc Evans raced on to his pin point cut back to score from 15 yards for 
his second and Port’s seventh.

All can say that it was a pity it was not three league points and a hatful of 
goals to improve the goal difference but it was important to build on the good run, 
extend the unbeaten record and gain a sixth straight win. A return to league action 
next Saturday brings champions Connah’s Quay to the Traeth with a visit to Buckley 
to follow before returning to the Traeth for two consecutive games against league 
leaders Rhyl. Quite a programme!

Port: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe (Phil Williams 65), 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Jamie McDaid, Craig Roberts (Dan McCormick 71), Rhys 
Roberts, Marc Evans, Darren Thomas (Mike Foster 63). Subs not used: Gareth Jones Evans, 
Mervyn Williams (gk). Yellow: Ryan Davies 60.

Llanrhaeadr: Connor Lee, Dan Kelly, Dale Wolverson, Tom Evans, Emyr Roberts, Adam 
Burgess (Peter Jones 67), Joe Vaughan (Hamish Gifton 67), Roberts Fox (Lewis Curtis 67), 
Alun Jones james Evans Ben White.

Referee: Phil Roskowski (Wrexham)

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 8 October 

CPD Penrhyncoch ... 1	CPD Porthmadog ... 3
Josh Shaw 60 	Gareth Jones Evans 7,59
		Jamie McDaid 70

All clubs, especially ones with an unbeaten record to protect, tread 
warily when they visit Cae Baker. The home team have a well established 
reputation for upsetting the odds. Port, thanks to a Gareth Jones Evans 
double and one from Jamie McDaid, returned from mid Wales with their 
record intact but knowing that they had survived a testing ninety minutes. 
Their three goals were of the highest quality giving Port a deserved 
three points and lifting them into the top three for the first time 
this season. 

The home side soon gave notice of their intentions as they moved 
quickly on the attack with a Mark Gornall 20 yarder rising not too 
far over the angle. But at the other end Gareth Jones Evans’ pace 
down the left suggested that he might cause problems for the Penrhyn 
defence. And with only seven minutes on the clock Gareth Jones Evans 
went on a run cutting inside along the edge of the penalty box before 
unleashing a shot which found the corner of the Penrhyn net beyond 
keeper Richard Morgan’s outstretched right hand. Having got the early 
lead Port set about increasing it and another Gareth Jones Evans run 
created a shooting chance for Darren Thomas who lifted an angled shot 
over the bar. Craig Roberts then rose well to meet a Clive Williams 
cross into the box but Richard Morgan was well placed to save. The 
home side were never out of the game pushing forward aggressively and 
in particular from set pieces put the Port defence under pressure. A 
Dylan James free kick provided Josh Shaw with a good heading opportunity 
but he directed his header across goal and wide. A defensive lapse 
provided Shaw with a shooting chance but Richard Harvey pulled of a fine 
point blank save. Jamie McDaid proved a threat down the right twice 
finding himself in good positions and from one of these he was unlucky 
to see his shot drift narrowly wide of the far post and a burst from the 
back by Clive Williams ended with a shot which was not far off the target. 
As the interval approached Clive Williams again found himself in a forward 
position but Richard Morgan did well to keep out his close range shot. 
The interval arrived with Port still ahead thanks to Gareth Jones Evans’
seventh minute goal.

Penrhyn again opened strongly in the second half with Gari Lewis’ cross 
from the right providing Stuart Fraser with a good back post heading chance 
but the forward failed to direct his header on target. Play was end to end 
with a Ryan Davies back post header providing Rhys Roberts with a snap shot 
in the box which went narrowly wide. But just before the hour mark Port 
increased their lead when there was a good exchange of passes between Gareth 
Jones Evans and Darren Thomas around the edge of the box which ended with 
Gareth Jones Evans being put through one on one with the keeper, a chance 
which he took clinically from 8 yards. 

The goal was a signal for Penrhyn to introduce the experienced strike Glyndwr 
Hughes and it was a move which produced an immediate impact. The home side 
broke down the right before working the ball across the box for the sub to 
create a shooting opportunity for Josh Shaw, a chance which he fired past 
Richard Harvey from 8 yards. The period which followed was the best of the 
match for the home side as they severely tested the Port defence. A Mark 
Gornall corner was eventually cleared but not without some good fortune and 
soon after Richard Evans found Glyndwr Hughes whose close range shot was well 
saved by Richard Harvey and minutes later Harvey was in action again when 
Richard Evans drove goalwards following a short corner on the right. But 
Port rode the period of pressure and a Port sub, Marc Evans, also influenced 
the outcome when after 70 minutes he put Jamie McDaid in behind the home 
defence in a central position. McDaid looked up and saw the advancing Richard 
Morgan well off his line and lifted a clever lob over his head and into the 
net making the outcome more or less secure. Port could have further increased 
their lead in the closing stages when Jamie McDaid again burst into the box 
but had his shot deflected for a corner and late on Craig Roberts split open 
the home defence with an diagonal ball for Marc Evans to race on to, but the 
shot flew over Richard Morgan’s bar.

Gareth Parry had set himself the target of four straight wins after Port had 
their progress halted by three consecutive draws. Now that this has been 
achieved it sets them up for the run of four games against top five opposition.

Port: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, Ryan Davies, 
Grahame Austin, Jamie McDaid, Craig Roberts, Rhys Roberts, Darren Thomas, 
Gareth Jones, Evans (Marc Evans 65)
Subs not used: Mike Foster, Phil Williams, Dan McCormick, Mervyn Williams (gk), 
Iwan Parry. Yellow: Ryan Davies 21, Craig Roberts 43, Rhys Roberts 45.

Penrhyn-coch: Richard Morgan, Eilian Evans, Dylan James (Dan James 59), Llyr 
Hughes, John Foligno, Gari Lewis, Mark Gornall, Richard Evans, Chris Williams 
(Glyndwr Hughes 59), Josh Shaw, Stuart Fraser. Subs not used: Elwyn Edwards, 
Gavin Allen, Kevin Jenkins.

Referee: John Spender (Mold). Attendance: 72.

FAW Welsh Cup Round 1 -Saturday, 1 October 
Match Sponsors: Toyota Harlech

CPD Porthmadog ... 3	Bethesda Athletic ... 1
Craig Roberts 59	Jonathan Newell 22
Steve Kehoe 66
Darren Thomas 78

Porthmadog successfully negotiated a potential banana skin against 
a physically strong and determined Bethesda team. However it took a 
good second half showing and three quality goals to compensate for an 
out of sorts first half performance. Bethesda had taken an opportunist 
first half lead and then set about making life difficult for Port, 
defending well, denying Port the time and space to develop their passing 
game and backing this up with collective protests at almost every decision 
given against them. The referee eventually lost patience early in the 
second half issuing a red card to reduce Bethesda to 10 men after 51 
minutes and following this up with 3 yellows which restored some order to 
a game that was in danger of getting out of hand.

Bethesda had an early sighter on goal when Kevin G Roberts broke down 
the right to lift his shot over the bar. Port responded with a some 
useful attacks and after 9 minutes Craig Roberts tested Pesda keeper 
Shanahan with a shot on the turn after a Darren Thomas break and three 
minutes on Shanahan pulled off a good save from Jamie McDaid and later 
an even better one from the same player diving at his near post. On a 
rare sortie up field after 22 minutes Bethesda turned the game on its 
head. Winning a free kick out on the left central defender Jonathan 
Newell capitalised, when Richard Harvey failed to gather Darren Gowans’ 
powerfully struck free kick coming at him through a crowded box. Newell 
tapping into the net from close range. Port then continued to enjoy 
plenty of possession but despite efforts on goal from Grahame Austin and a 
couple from Craig Roberts as well as forcing several corners down both 
flanks Port did not seriously threaten the visitors goal. Half time was 
reached with Bethesda holding on to their one goal lead and Port knowing 
they had plenty to do in the second period if they were to avoid an early 
exit from the competition.

From the start of the second period Port upped their game and Rhys Roberts 
who had been switched to give more height up front soon found himself in 
on goal thanks to a perfectly weighted Ryan Davies through ball. But just 
as he was about to pull the trigger he was scythed to the ground by central 
defender Michael Lewis-Williams. Referee M W Roberts was immediately 
surrounded by protesting Bethesda players but his patience was exhausted 
and the culprit received a straight red card with former Port defender 
Darren Jones saeing yellow, soon followed by two more yellows. Gradually 
calm was restored and though Shanahan saved Darren Thomas ensuing free kick 
we did not have long to wait before the scores were level. Bethesda were 
hit on the break when a Ryan Davies pass opened them up putting danger man 
Darren Thomas in behind the visitors defence. He looked up and squared the 
ball for Craig Roberts to tap in from close range. Though Gareth Davies 
fired powerfully from distance for Bethesda Port were now in charge and 
Darren Thomas’ head was only inches away from a ball played down 
the centre by sub Mike Foster. In the 66th minute, following a short 
corner on the left, Darren Thomas found Steve Kehoe in space on the edge 
of the box and the midfielder delivered the thunderbolt Port supporters 
have been waiting for since his return. The shot from 18 yards took a 
deflection and though Shanahan did well to get a hand to it he could not 
keep it out. Port pushed for the security of a third and Shanahan again did 
well to deny Craig Roberts with a good save at his near post. But with 12 
minutes left he was unable to repeat the save when Darren Thomas cut inside 
his marker on the left and fired a cracking low shot from 16 yards which 
found the net just inside the near post. Port were now in charge retaining 
the ball against a tiring 10 man Bethesda though there was one more effort 
for them from Gareth Davies which forced Richard Harvey into a good diving 
save. Near the end young Dan McCormick might have crowned his debut with a 
goal. Winning the ball well out on the right he cut inside and urged on by 
his team mates he let fly. But unfortunately it was not to be this time 
with the ball striking the side netting. 

The important task for the day was being in the hat for the next round and 
with that achieved attention can return to league matters with a visit to 
Penrhyn-coch’s Cae Baker –never an easy place to visit.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Phil Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin (Gareth Parry 80), Darren Thomas, Rhys Roberts, 
Jamie McDaid (Dan McCormack 83), Craig Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans 
(Mike Foster 60) Sub not used: Iwan Parry.

Bethesda: Liam Shanahan, Ian Owen (Lee Dixon 74), Darren Jones 
(Neil Hughes 79), Michael Lewis-Williams, Jonathan Newell, Ian Burgess, 
Kevin G Roberts, Nigel Barry, Gareth Davies, Darren Gowans, 
Kevin Lloyd Roberts. Subs not used: Carl Thomas, Warren Gibbs. Red: M. 
Lewis-Williams 51 Yellow: Darren Jones 51, Darren Gowans 55, Gareth Davies 55.

Referee: M W Roberts (Llangefni) Attendance: 112. 

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 24 September 

CPD Porthmadog ... 2 		Ruthin Town ... 1
Gareth Jones Evans 15	Kevin Garland 53
Ryan Davies 68

Despite getting the early goal which has eluded them in recent matches 
Port once again made life more difficult for themselves than they needed 
to by failing to capitalise on some quite excellent passing football in 
the opening half. After going ahead from a Gareth Jones Evans cracker it 
was disappointing to reach half time without adding to that score. Things 
got worse eight minutes into the second half when dangerman Kevin Garland 
took advantage of a rare opportunity to level the scores. But once Ryan 
Davies put Port back into the lead the home side took charge again and 
could have added to their lead.

Port were on the attack from the start and twice Jamie McDaid came close 
in the early stages after receiving from Darren Thomas. Pressure continued 
on the Ruthin goal and visitors keeper, Ben Jones, did well to tip a Rhys 
Roberts back post header over the bar. When the opening goal came after 15 
minutes it was no more than Porthmadog deserved. It came on the back of a 
well worked move involving five players with the ball finally reaching Gareth 
Jones Evans in space 20 yards out. The young midfielder took one look up before 
dispatching a blockbuster which hit the back of the net giving keeper Ben Jones 
no chance. Port continued to dominate with the game played largely in the 
Ruthin half. Chris Williams screwed a shot wide and when Jamie McDaid chipped 
a ball into the box keeper Ben Jones was well placed to keep out Clive Williams’ 
header. Craig Roberts came close with a header after Rhys Roberts had headed 
on a Clive Williams free kick. Another header followed, this time from Graham 
Austin directing a Darren Thomas free kick narrowly past the post. With half 
time drawing near Gareth Jones Evans could have added a second but fired an 
excellent Craig Roberts lay off across goal and narrowly wide. But despite all 
the pressure and excellent football using the whole width of the pitch the score 
remained 1-0 at the interval. And in the midst of all the pressure Ruthin had 
issued a warning that they would take advantage of any opportunities were given. 
When Jason Wood lifted a free kick from the right experienced striker Kevin 
Garland rose well and it needed an alert reaction from Richard Harvey to keep 
the header out.

The visitors opened the second half strongly and when a defensive pass was 
misdirected Ruthin took full advantage. The ball was quickly transferred into 
the path of the breaking Kevin Garland who took his unexpected opportunity and 
finished clinically from 12 yards. Play now became end to end with Ruthin 
pushing up well to restrict the Port attacks. Darren Thomas however continued 
to test the visitors defence and after a good build up he came close with a 
low shot. But at the other end Garland again showed his ability to make the 
most of any opportunities when meeting a Hamilton cross from the left but 
directed his header narrowly wide. The game now became increasingly tetchy with 
some hard tackles flying in. But with 68 minutes gone Ryan Davies made up for an 
earlier lapse scoring what turned out to be the winning goal. Following a corner 
on the left the ball was played back into the box where Ryan Davies made the 
most of the space he was given in the box to score with a low shot into the 
corner of the net past Ben Jones’ right hand. Though Port now regained 
control Kevin Garland showed that he could yet snatch something for Ruthin. He 
won the ball on the edge of the home box and went close with a shot on the turn. 
Darren Thomas, in the later stages of the game, posed a major threat breaking 
past defenders down the right and on one run he cut inside and Ben Jones needed
a good save to keep a shot out at his near post. Sub Marc Evans then produced 
a heading opportunity for Grahame Austin but somehow the ball was scrambled 
clear. Darren Thomas was a real thorn in the Ruthin rearguard twice coming 
close with good efforts and then producing a shooting chance for Jamie McDaid 
but this effort was deflected for a corner. But in the end Port failed to add 
to the score and it was relief for supporters to hear the final whistle after 
four minutes of injury time.

Port remain unbeaten after eight games and move up a place to fourth. Next 
week a break from the league to take on Bethesda in the first round of the 
Welsh Cup.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Darren Thomas, Rhys Roberts (Marc Evans 72), 
Jamie McDaid, Craig Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans. Subs not used: 
Marcus Orlik, Gareth Parry, Mervyn Williams (gk). 
Yellow: Gareth Jones Evans 69, Rhys Roberts 69.

Ruthin: Ben Jones, Jamie Price, Will Roberts, Jack Jones, Shaun Williams, 
Matthew Davies, Jason Wood, Mark Entwistle, Kevin Garland (Tommy Mutton 70), 
Adam Jenkins (Sion Davies 76), Asa Hamilton (Joe Garner 76). Yellow: 
Kevin Garland 34, Shaun Williams 40, Mark Entwistle 72.

Referee: J B Roberts. Attendance: 144.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 17 September

Guilsfield FC ... 2	CPD Porthmadog ... 3
Will Thomas 3, 34	Darren Thomas 46
		Marcus Orlik 63
		Rhys Roberts 70

Porthmadog had to score three times in the second half to secure the points 
and retain their unbeaten record for the season. Despite this it could hardly 
be described as a game of the proverbial two halves as Port, even though they 
found themselves two goals in arrears at the interval, dominated the possession 
and the territory in both halves. Two counterattacking sucker punches from 
opportunist striker Will Thomas gave Porthmadog a mountain to climb in the 
second period.

Port were on the attack from the start but within three minutes they found 
themselves a goal behind. Guilsfield broke quickly from the back feeding Danny 
Barton down the left. The experienced forward crossed into the box for the 
unmarked Will Thomas to capitalise on the disarray in the Port defence and 
coolly open the scoring slotting it to Richard Harvey’s left from 12 
yards. Following this early setback Port were soon back on the offensive and 
defensive linchpin James Henderson was glad to concede a corner when Marcus 
Orlik’s dangerous cross came in from the left. With 13 minutes gone, 
following a good build up involving Jamie McDaid and Darren Thomas, Rhys 
Roberts had his header tipped over the bar by Littleford in the home goal. 
Soon after, following a corner on the right, Grahame Austin came close with 
a spectacular shot over his left shoulder. Darren Thomas and Jamie McDaid then 
set up Marcus Orlik whose shot from 16 yards went across goal and wide. But 
despite the Port pressure it was Guilsfield who went further ahead when the 
ball was given away in a central position in midfield and the home side were 
quick to take advantage switching the ball to dangerman Will Thomas who 
punished Port further with an angled shot from the right of the box. Port 
were desperate to cut the deficit before the interval but the closest they 
came was when Marc Evans cut in from the left but was unfortunate to see his 
shot strike the foot of the post and bounce to safety. 2-0 down hardly 
reflected the play in the opening half but a defence well marshalled by 
James Henderson and the clinical finishing of Will Thomas had given 
Guilsfield a clear advantage at the half way mark.

Having been kept out on the pitch during the half time interval Porthmadog 
started the second period on fire. Within a minute they had cut the deficit 
and a half time positional switch had paid off immediately. Jamie McDaid, 
now in a more central attacking role, broke across field from the inside 
left position and split the home defence with an angled ball which put Darren 
Thomas through and his lob over the advancing Littlemore found the net. Darren 
Thomas had been switched back to the right and proved to be a constant threat 
with his probing runs. His right wing corner reached Rhys Roberts whose header 
flew narrowly over the bar. Just after the hour mark Darren Thomas set up the 
equaliser cutting in from the right his through ball put Marcus Orlik in behind 
the defence. The striker broke goalwards and coolly placed the ball wide of 
keeper Littleford. With 69 minutes gone Darren Thomas and the travelling 
supporters thought that Port were ahead for the first time. He rose well to 
head past Littlemore but referee Aled Jones disallowed the goal for a push. But 
a minute later they were ahead when Clive Williams lifted a long free kick from 
the right touchline to the back post where it was met by Rhys Roberts with a 
well placed header back across the goal and into the net. Port continued to 
threaten and with a bit more steadiness in front of goal they could have 
considerably increased their advantage. Jamie McDaid was relishing his more 
central role and his incisive running at the defence was causing big problems. 
Gareth Jones Evans when he came on used his pace and trickery down the left but 
despite several good openings being created only a single goal separated the two 
sides. This gave the home side the scent of an equaliser and there were one or 
two hairy moments at the back and inevitably it was Will Thomas who produced the 
most dangerous of these. After his 20 yard run down the right he was unlucky to 
lose control just as he was about to strike at goal. But the game ended with 
Port on the attack and Jamie McDaid threatening again. A final bizarre moment 
saw referee Aled Jones show a yellow card to Dean Garmey seated in the dugout.

With Buckley losing in midweek and Cefn Druids going down by the only goal at 
Penrhyn-coch today it leaves Porthmadog as the league’s only unbeaten side.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Marc Evans (Gareth Jones Evans 60), 
Rhys Roberts (capt.), Darren Thomas, Marcus Orlik (Craig Roberts 77), 
Jamie McDaid. Sub not used: Dean Garmey. Yellow: Clive Williams 32’, Dean 
Garmey 90’.

Guilsfield: Dave Littleford, Graham McGill, Stuart Buckley Robins, Gareth Jones, 
James Henderson, Jonathan Jones, Ed Baldwin, Ian Probert, Will Thomas, 
Chris Roberts, Danny Barton. Subs: Sam Heenan Mark Griffiths, Mark Davies. 
Yellow: Will Thomas 68’.

Referee: Aled Jones Lampeter. Attendance: 65


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us