CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Buckley (a) | Rhyl [WC] (h) | Rhyl [WC] (a) | Fflint (a) | Caersws (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance League          - Saturday, November 26th
Match Sponsor: Tan yr Onnen Inn, Beddgelert.

CPD Porthmadog .... 1		Caersws FC ... 2
Craig Roberts 48		Neil Mitchell 61
			Scott Williams 86

A goal four minutes from time by sub Scott Williams extended Caersws’ 
excellent run of straight victories to nine and in so doing inflicted 
a first Traeth league defeat of the season on Port. The visitors also 
repeated last season’s win over Port at the Traeth. Following a goalless 
first period Craig Roberts’ super strike, three minutes into the second 
period, put Port ahead . The lead survived until just after the hour 
mark when the first of two set piece goals levelled the scores and then 
with time running out the visitors kept their record of ‘no draws’ when 
a touch to Graham Evans’ free kick left Port to rue their failure to 
defend set pieces.

A strong wind favouring Port in the first half suggested that this might 
be the proverbial game of two halves and indeed it was the home side who 
dominated the possession with Caersws relying on counter attacks to keep 
themselves in the game. Darren Thomas provided Port’s first shot on target 
cutting across field and drawing a good save from David Jones diving low 
to his right. Craig Roberts then found himself in space in a central 
position and let fly from 30 yards but straight at keeper Jones. Twice 
Gareth Jones Evans threatened once with a shot which tested David Jones 
and then a good break down the right by Jamie McDaid provided him with a 
shooting chance which cannoned to safety off a team mate. Caersws then 
came into the game for the first time forcing several corners and following 
one of these a cross from the right provided the league’s leading scorer 
Marc Griffiths with a heading chance at the back post but the header 
drifted wide. Port responded with Mark Jones having a couple of shooting 
opportunities which failed to hit the target. Late on Craig Roberts struck 
a dangerous near post ball which Gareth Jones Evans touched narrowly wide. 
But at half time it remained scoreless with Port failing to turn territorial 
advantage into goals.

An early Caersws second half attack forced Richard Harvey into his first 
real save of the game when he went down to his right to keep out Marc 
Griffiths’ low shot. But  Port responded immediately and when a partial 
clearance reached Craig Roberts and a super 20 yard strike was executed with 
the ball still rising as it thundered into the roof of the net. Caersws then 
looked to hit back and Geraint Lewis headed over at a corner. Soon after 
Richard Harvey was again in action going down low to keep out Graham Evans’ 
free kick struck wide of the wall. But the set piece warnings went unheeded 
and Neil Mitchell struck directing  the left wing corner past Richard Harvey 
to level the scores. Though Jamie McDaid cut inside and fired wide from 20 
yards, Caersws were now enjoying a good period of pressure. A dangerous 
Mitchell ball to the near post was headed wide by Griffiths and Edmonds was 
not far off when he fired over from 20 yards. With the game entering its final 
quarter hour Port again pushed forward looking to restore their lead. A good 
Iwan Williams ball put Mark Jones through on goal but the advancing David 
Jones managed a touch for a corner. A quality Darren Thomas cross then produced 
a good heading opportunity for the young striker but the ball went wide of the 
mark. With four minutes left Port were undone by another set piece with Scott 
Williams getting the all important final touch when Graham Evans lifted a free 
kick into the box. Even in injury time Port could have snatched a point when 
from a Marcus Orlik cross Mark Jones failed to direct a header wide of keeper 

Undoubtedly a Caersws team in a rich vein of results will have an important 
say in the destiny of this season’s HGA title. Though conceding two set piece 
goals is a big disappointment the scoring opportunities missed might be more 
of a worry. With Rhyl drawing at bogey club Penrhyncoch we can be certain 
that there are many twists and turns ahead in this very competitive league. 
Though dropping the points today Port remain in fourth spot with the knowledge 
that they were missing three regulars today. But Caersws are now well and truly 
in the mix.

Port: Richard Harvey, Phil Williams, Iwan Williams, Rhys Roberts, Ryan Davies, 
Grahame Austin, Jamie McDaid (Marcus Orlik 70), Craig Roberts, Mark Jones, 
Gareth Jones Evans (Arran Richmond 74), Darren Thomas. Subs not used: Mike 
Foster, Gareth Parry, Merfyn Williams (gk). Yellow: Ryan Davies 49, Iwan 
Williams 90.

Caersws: David Jones, Grant Butler, Tyrone McFadden (Iain Edmonds 11), Gareth 
Sudlow, Geraint Lewis, Graham Jones, Scott Quigley (Scott Williams 57), Neil 
Mitchell, Graham Evans, Marc Griffiths, Robert Evans. Sub not used Sean Ellis. 
Yellow: Marc Griffiths 69, Geraint Lewis 76.

Referee: M. Gray (Rhyl).                              Attendance: 177.

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 19 November.

Flint Town United ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 1
			Marcus Orlik 88

With just two of the ninety minutes left Marcus Orlik snatched the 
three points for Porthmadog with a close range header. This was the 
second time in the last three games  for him to come from the bench 
to score with a header. The previous occasion against Rhyl in the Cup 
proved to be just a consolation but today it was a goal which turned 
one point into the three a result which Port’s overall dominance 
deserved. Good defensive work, especially from Hill and Davies, 
together with excellent goal keeping from McGee frustrated Porthmadog 
who failed to turn pressure into goals spurning many good opportunities 
during the previous 88 minutes. It all came good in the end. But 
despite coming under a great deal of pressure the lack of a goal kept 
Flint in the game and in Beck and Lloyd they had players capable of 
hitting on the break. But the Port rearguard was again outstanding 
giving Richard Harvey his third clean sheet in the last four league 
games and that despite yet another change in personnel with Ryan Davies 
unavailable and Chris Williams injured..

Port started well and after 6 minutes Jamie McDaid crossed from the right 
but Steve Kehoe’s powerful shot was well blocked. Just after the quarter 
hour mark Rhys Roberts rose well to meet Darren Thomas’ corner but his 
header went narrowly over the bar. At the other end Jamie Renshaw’s 
attempted shot over his shoulder flew well wide. But most of the play 
continued to be at the Flint end of the pitch with McGee having to punch 
away Mark Jones’ dangerous cross. Short of the half hour mark Darren Thomas 
set up the best move of the opening half to put Mark Jones in on goal but 
the young forward failed to get enough power on his shot and McGee saved. 
Flint then had their best spell of the half but Tom McGill failed to convert 
a good shooting chance and a few minutes on Paul Williams fired wide having 
been set up by Shaun Beck. The closest Port came to breaking the deadlock 
was when Gareth Jones Evans, having had an initial shot stopped, let fly a 
cracker from 20 yards which whistled inches over the bar. A couple more 
efforts before half time saw Renshaw for Flint lift a shot over the bar 
following a good build-up while Mark Jones for Port slipped Darren Thomas 
in but McGee was down again to save well. At the interval it remained 0-0.

It was once more a case of Port on the attack after the interval. An early 
effort from Mark Jones which was followed by a Gareth Jones Evans’ break 
reaching Darren Thomas with a good angled ball. The winger cut inside 
attempting a shot across the advancing keeper but again McGee was down well 
to save. Soon after Jamie McDaid cutting in from the left had his shot 
scrambled away for a corner. At this stage, with just over an hour of the 
game gone, Flint could have gone ahead much against the run of play. Shaun 
Beck intercepted a stray pass and made for goal. Richard Harvey rushed out 
to force Beck wide and the shot drifted across the face of goal and wide. 
Following that slip-up Port pressure was relentless but still the Flint 
defence held out. Mark Jones got a clean header on a Clive Williams free kick 
but failed to hit the target. Though Flint briefly broke upfield for Hill to 
meet a Reilley free kick with a firm header and Brierley fired from distance, 
neither was able to hit the target. Port continued their assault on the home 
goal with Marcus Orlik testing the water with a couple of powerful strikes 
one of which McGee needed to throw himself to his left to keep out. Orlik was 
only a fraction short of finding enough power to beat McGee as he and Darren 
Thomas combined. But with the final whistle close Marcus Orlik found the room 
to head the winner. Darren Thomas corner was headed back by Rhys Roberts to the  
near post. There Darren Thomas headed back into the goal mouth for Marcus Orlik 
to produce the third header and this time Adam McGee couldn’t keep it out. 

Joy for Port at collecting the three points and big time disappointment for 
Flint that their defence had finally been breached. Port remain in 4th spot but 
now level on points with Connah’s Quay who lost at Guilsfield.

Port: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Iwan Williams, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts, 
Grahame Austin, Jamie McDaid(Arran Richmond 82), Gareth Jones Evans 
(Gareth Parry 74), Mark Jones, Craig Roberts (Marcus Orlik 61), Darren Thomas. 
Subs not used: Phil Williams, Merfyn Williams (gk). Yellow: Steve Kehoe 59.

Flint: McGee, Reilley, Matty Harvey, Renshaw (Stuart Hughes 79), John Davies, 
John Hill, Jordan Brierley, Paul Williams, Tom McGill, Shaun Beck (Jon Rush 72), 
Phil Lloyd. Subs not used: Luke Tyson, Lewis Dennan. 

Referee: J B Roberts (Llanllyfni.)                      Attendance: 135. 

Huws Gray Alliance         -Sunday, 13 November

Rhyl FC ... 0                         CPD Porthmadog ... 0

The score line doesn’t even begin to tell the story of this high quality Sunday 
afternoon encounter between the two best teams in the league. The 0-0 final 
score might suggest  a dour battle with defences in charge and both defences did 
put in a good shift of work. Indeed they had to as both attacks were at their 
creative best. It was a mixture of good defensive work and some narrow squeaks at 
both ends that account for the scoreless result. Scoreless but not fruitless as 
Rhyl struck the post twice in the first half and Gareth Jones Evans and Jamie 
McDaid came within a whisker of winning the game for Port in the second period.

From the start it was a very open end to end game with sweeping passing movements 
taking play from one end to the other at will. The quality of the passing at this 
early stage was a credit to both sides and to the attitude of both management teams. 
Rhyl attacked first and Richard Harvey was glad to palm Gambino’s cross over the bar 
for a corner. Only a minute later Rhyl struck the outside of the post when Gambino 
met Pritchard’s deep cross at the back post. That was the signal for the ball to be 
swept downfield and it was Ben Jones’ turn to concede a corner saving a Darren Thomas 
effort following a good Gareth Jones Evans break down the right. From the corner the 
ball was played in to the feet of Grahame Austin who failed to get enough on his shot 
and Ben Jones was able to save. Rhyl struck back and Mike Pritchard fired across the 
face of goal and wide. With 26 minutes gone Oswell had a good opportunity to open the 
scoring, courtesy of a fine Scott Beckett cross, but lifted his shot over the bar. 
The home team were now enjoying a good spell with Richard Harvey having to race off 
his line to go down at Gambino’s feet as the winger broke into the box. Another chance 
for Oswell as Beckett lifted another dangerous cross but the header flew over the bar. 
As the game past the half hour mark it was Port’s turn to threaten. Good work down 
the right by Mark Jones getting the better of two defenders to square the ball to 
Darren Thomas on the edge of the box. Ben Jones needed a second grasp at the ball to 
keep out the well struck shot which ensued. A minute later the keeper was in action 
again as Thomas this time got on the end of a Ryan Davies free kick. Darren Thomas 
could not be kept out of the action at this stage and his corner found Rhys Roberts 
whose shot was deflected into the keeper’s relieved arms. A good Porthmadog build 
followed with six players contributing and resulting in a shot by Darren Thomas which 
went narrowly wide. But the last word in the first half belonged to Rhyl when a curling 
free kick by Ryan Williams thumped against Richard Harvey’s right hand post. The teams 
left the field at the interval to the warm applause of the 400+ crowd.

As they had done at the Traeth last week Rhyl put the Port defence under pressure early 
in the second period. They forced a corner on the right and Halewood met Gambino’s cross 
with a header which drifted wide. Port resisted a further period of pressure and broke 
out of defence. A fine mazy Gareth Jones Evans from midfield took him to the edge of the 
Rhyl box where he let fly an exocet which was heading for the top corner but Ben Jones 
produced a save to match the shot and keep the score level. Oswell from 16 yards responded 
for Rhyl but Richard Harvey was down well to save. Ryan Williams had another set piece 
opportunity but this time his free kick went past the outside of the post. With 66 minutes 
on the watch Clive Williams and Jamie McDaid produced what was perhaps the best move of the 
match. A breathtaking exchange of passes down the right allowed Clive Williams to put McDaid 
through into the box where he let fly with a cracker which rose only inches over the bar. A 
snapshot from 20 yards by Ryan Williams was well covered by Richard Harvey down at his left 
hand post. With a quarter of an hour left Clive Williams and Jamie McDaid repeated their 
earlier move but this time McDaid’s shot was kept out with a good defensive block. Dowling 
crossed from the left for Rhyl finding Pritchard in space but the shot narrowly failed to 
hit the target. Neither side was prepared to settle for a draw so the final 10 minutes became 
rather frenetic in a desperate search for a goal to clinch the match. Mark Powell was 
dismissed for a seond yellow. There was now no time on the ball and the nearest to a goal 
in the closing minutes came when an Orlik/Thomas free kick routine just failed to work. 
Both sides had to be satisfied with a point in a game which neither deserved to lose.The 
game ended Rhyl's 100% home record.

In the warm up to the game Port lost the services of full back Chris Williams and Rhys 
Roberts was switched to left back and Mark Jones came in up front. 

Port: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Rhys Roberts, Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Steve 
Kehoe, Darren Thomas, Craig Roberts (Marcus Orlik 75),  Mark Jones, Gareth Jones Evans 
(Iwan Williams 70), Jamie McDaid (Aran Richmond 83). Subs not used: Mike Foster, Phil Williams, 
Merfyn Williams (gk). Yellow: Mark Jones (67).

Rhyl: Ben Jones, Shaun Dowling, Matt Woodward (Danny Jarrett 90), Russ Courtney, Stefan 
Halewood, Mark Powell, Ryan Williams, Scott Beckett, Jason Oswell, Mike Pritchard, James 
Gambino (Tom Rowlands 60). Subs not used: Chris Melia, Neil Coverley. Yellow: Mark Powell (81), 
Russ Courtney (87).

Referee: Martin Williams (Wrexham)                             Attendance: 402

Welsh Cup, Rd. 2		 - Saturday, 05 November.
Match Sponsors: Y Gestiana, High Street Porthmadog

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Rhyl FC ... 3
Jamie McDaid 12		Ryan Davies (og) 18
Marcus Orlik 85		Mike Pritchard 33
			James Gambino 63

The HGA’s two best footballing sides did not disappoint as they featured in an 
exciting cup-tie. Though Port went into an early lead the visitors struck back to 
hold a half-time lead. The second period saw Rhyl at their best denying Port 
possession and controlling for long periods. It was no a surprise when they went 
further ahead. In the latter stages, however, Port came back strongly to cut the 
deficit and at the end might have taken the game into extra time. But overall Rhyl 
deserved to go forward into the draw for the third round while Port, after remaining 
unbeaten in the previous twelve, will need to get over the disappointment of 
consecutive defeats before the two teams meet again on Sunday.

Port got off to the best of starts as they stretched the Rhyl defence from the off 
and after Darren Thomas had issued a warning with a powerful shot from 18 yards 
Jamie McDaid on 12 minutes went one better. Darren Thomas’ right wing corner 
was only cleared as far as Jamie McDaid on the left of the box. The winger looked 
up and lifted a shot over the crowded box and out of the reach of Rhyl keeper Ben 
Jones to put the home side deservedly in the lead. Rhyl threatened to strike back 
immediately when Pritchard created an opening for Ryan Williams 12 yards out but 
Richard Harvey was well placed to save. With only 18 minutes gone the visitors were 
back on level terms. Ryan Williams played a dangerous ball towards the far post 
and Ryan Davies was unfortunate to see his attempted block end up in the back of 
the net. Rhyl then enjoyed a good period of pressure and Pritchard got on to end of 
a free kick and should have done better from 5 yards. Following this Richard Harvey 
had to produce two fine saves in quick succession, keeping out Pritchard’s 
angled shot and immediately after he kept out Oswell’s close range effort. 
Rhyl then struck again following a period of midfield deadlock when dangerman Mike 
Pritchard got away from his marker cut across field and steered an excellent finish 
just inside Richard Harvey’s left hand post. In the closing stages of the 
opening half Port battled to get back on level terms. Phil Williams was not far off 
when he got on the end of Jamie McDaid’s far post cross heading narrowly wide. 
Gareth Jones Evans, who had been a threat down both flanks during the opening half, 
cut in from the right but his shot hit the side netting. Jamie McDaid then 
threatened to repeat his earlier goal when he fastened on to Darren Thomas’ 
corner but this time lifted his shot over the bar.

After the resumption Rhyl enjoyed their best period of the game controlling in 
midfield as Port struggled to retain worthwhile possession. Seven minutes into the 
second period Oswell picked a loose ball on the right of the box but sent his shot 
across the face of goal. The turning point came when Rhyl opened up a two goal 
advantage in the 63rd minute. The Port defence was caught out when the ball was 
given away unnecessarily out on the left near halfway. A quick transfer saw Oswell 
break unchallenged down the right and his low cross to the far post was coolly side 
footed into the net by James Gambino. Port heads did not go down and Grahame 
Austin’s met a Darren Thomas corner with a powerful header which flew over 
the bar. Courtney at the other end was also off target with a header and when 
Gambino cut inside, looking for his second goal, lifted his shot from the edge of 
the box over the bar. Marcus Orlik came on with fifteen minutes left and  had 
an early impact putting Mark Jones in on goal but the shot drifted wide. Then 
Darren Thomas cracked a powerful shot from a narrow angle which Ben Jones could 
only push away and a diving Orlik header found the net to set up a Port fight 
back. As time was running out Rhys Roberts rose at the back post to meet a 
flighted Darren Thomas free kick but the header lacked the power to beat Ben 

We can only wish our opponents well in the third round after such an 
entertaining game in ideal conditions but also promise them a tight contest when the 
two meet next Sunday, when hopefully Port will be at full strength, injury free and 
with this week’s cup-tied players raring to go. 

Port: Richard Harvey, Phil Williams, Rhys Roberts, Steve Kehoe, Ryan Davies, 
Grahame Austin (Mike Foster 82 ), Jamie McDaid, Craig Roberts ( Marcus Orlik 73), 
Mark Jones, Darren Thomas, Gareth Jones Evans. Subs not used: Gareth Parry, 
Dan McCormick, Merfyn Williams. 
Yellow: Steve Kehoe, Gareth Jones Evans, Grahame Austin, Ryan Davies.

Rhyl: Ben Jones Shaun Dowling, Neil Coverley, Russ Courtney, Stefan Halewood, 
Mark Powell, Ryan Williams (Scott Beckett 56), Paul Mooney, Jason Oswell, 
Mike Pritchard (Matt Woodward 73), James Gambino (Danny Jarrett 80). 
Subs not used: Chris Melia, Greg Strong. Yellow: Russ Courtney, 
Danny Jarrett.

Referee: R Hillier-Smith                 Attendance: 264

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 29 October.

Buckley Town ... 1                            CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Anthony Williams 8

A goal after only 8 minutes proved enough to give Buckley the three points and 
end a season’s unbeaten run at the unlucky 13th hurdle. Two incidents either side 
of half time had a huge impact on the game. Gareth Edwards, Buckley’s tall central 
defender, received a straight red card for violent play whilst the two teams were 
lining up for a Port corner. Then ten minutes into the second period there was a 
clash of heads when Joe Freeman and Rhys Roberts went up for a corner. Freeman went 
down immediately and an ambulance had to be called. Play was subsequently held up 
for 25 minutes with players doing their best to keep active while waiting. These 
events appeared to have more of an effect on Porthmadog than the home team. Having 
dominated the opening period despite going a goal behind Port, in the second half, 
lost their composure they became over eager  and too many passes were misplaced. 
Buckley on the other hand knew exactly what they had to do. They defended in numbers 
and gave Port little time to settle on the ball. Lee Atherton and John Leonard got 
through some sterling work at the heart of the Buckley rearguard making sure that 
their big central defender was not missed.

Port got into their stride early in the opening half but against the run of play it 
was Buckley who went ahead. An innocuous looking ball was played in from wide on the 
Buckley right which was allowed to travel right across the field without another 
player getting a touch until it reached Anthony Williams totally unmarked on the 
left of the box. Williams bore in on goal and with only Richard Harvey to beat 
coolly slipped it low to the keeper’s left to open the scoring. Apart from a couple 
of off target efforts from distance first by Williams and later from Tom Smith for 
the rest of the half Buckley did little to trouble Harvey. It was now one way traffic 
with Darren Thomas in outstanding form setting up a series of quality moves which 
unfortunately lacked a finishing touch. Straight after the goal Rhys Roberts’ angled 
ball to the far post was only inches beyond Grahame Austin. Then Austin again rose 
well to head a Darren Thomas corner narrowly over the bar. A good exchange of passes 
between Darren Thomas and Jamie McDaid provided Thomas with a shooting chance but just 
as he was about to fire the ball took  a nasty bobble and the shot lost its power. 
Thomas was then involved down the left with Arran Richmond whose low ball created a 
clear chance for Craig Roberts. But the shot was screwed wide of the post. Port 
continued to create and fail to convert. Grahame Austin’s header went wide of the post 
and Arran Richmond lifted his shot over the bar having been out through and again it 
was Darren Thomas. Keeper Jamie Rushton denied Port an equaliser five minutes before 
the break with a fine save diving to his left to push away Darren Thomas’ 20 yard 
free kick. Half-time came with Buckley one up but down to 10 men.

Port were straight into the attack with a shooting chance for Iwan Williams being 
ruined by another awkward bounce. Then Darren Thomas breaking to the goaline on the 
left was only inches away from an equaliser as he fired a shot from a very narrow 
angle inches wide of the far post.   Buckley were a threat on the break as Port pushed 
forward with Mike Burke giving an early second half warning with a shot which forced 
Richard Harvey into a good diving save at the expense of a corner. Then came the 
enforced break in proceedings and when the game restarted Port had a good chance for 
an equaliser. Craig Roberts won the ball 25 yards out and put Iwan Williams through one 
on one with the keeper but the striker decided to round the keeper first and Rushton 
saved a certain goal going down and blocking the ball to safety. Port’s play became 
increasingly frenetic and at times desperate. The well controlled moves of the first 
half were no longer and passes started going astray as the pressure built. In fact 
Buckley could have increased their lead when with a couple of counter attacks as they 
got players in behind the Port defence. Burke and Neil Wynne combined to give the 
latter a one on one shooting chance but Richard Harvey was quickly out to pull off a 
fine save. Another similar move put Burke in again but this time his shot drifted 
narrowly wide. At the death an Arran Richmond shot was narrowly over the angle and a 
good save by Rushton denied Rhys Roberts as he met a Darren Thomas corner with a clean 

The 13th straight win was not to be. Port had plenty of chances to have settled the 
game before half time but in a fragmented, frenetic second period Buckley held on for 
all three points with a sterling defensive performance. Records are made to be broken 
and now all eyes and thoughts turn to the Welsh Cup tie with Rhyl.

Port: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts, 
Grahame Austin, Jamie McDaid, Craig Roberts, Iwan Williams (Marcus Orlik 108), Darren 
Thomas, Arran Richmond. Subs not used; Phil Williams, Mike Foster, Dan McCormick, 
Mervyn Williams(gk). Yellow: Iwan Williams 45.

Buckley: Jamie Hulse, Joe Freeman (A Lipton 80), Matty Hughes, Lee Atherton, Gareth 
Edwards, John Leonard, Derek Taylor, Tom Smith, Mike Burke, 
Anthony Williams, Neil Wynne (Paul Armour 101). Red: Gareth Edwards 42, yellow: Tom Smith.

Referee: Phil Roskowski (Wrexham)                       Attendance: 345.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us