CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Guilsfield (h) | Connah's Quay (a) | Buckley (h) | Cei Connah's Quay [LC] (h) | Rhyl (h) | Rhos Aelwyd (a) |

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 10 March

Rhos Aelwyd .... 1                            CPD Porthmadog .... 4
Kevin Fitzimmons 87                       Ryan Davies 26
                                                  Darren Thomas 28, 88 (pen)
                                                  Graham Boylan 42

Two goals in two minutes, midway through the first half, put Port in control 
of this game and with new signing Graham Boylan scoring his third goal in three 
appearances just before half time there was no way back for the home team and 
that despite an improved second half performance. A consolation goal for Rhos 
came three minutes from the end but Darren Thomas responded scoring from the 
spot a minute later for his second of the match. 

Despite the ideal weather conditions an uneven surface made a passing game 
something of a lottery and much of the opening 20 minutes was rather frantic with 
the ball being driven long with few chances created. Though Port were dominant 
territorially it was the home side who had the best early opportunity when a good 
Hussaney cross from the right found Caradus well placed in the box but a good Ryan 
Davies block thwarted the opportunity. The deadlock was broken after 26 minutes 
with a suitably scruffy goal. A 26th minute Darren Thomas free kick on the edge of 
the box on the left was partially blocked but as it bounced dangerously in the 
goalmouth Boylan got a shot in which struck the foot of the post and then rebounded 
to Ryan Davies at the back post who found the back of the net from 5 yards. Visiting 
supporters did not have long to wait before Port added a second. Graham Boylan picked 
up the ball inside the centre circle and his perfectly weighted angled ball into space 
behind the defence sent Darren Thomas away and the pacy winger raced forward netting 
past the advancing Crossthwaite with a low shot. Rhos responded with a good angled 
volley from Mike Parry which fizzed across the face of goal and wide. A couple of 
minutes later Sharples rose well to meet a Jordan Smith corner but his header flew over 
the bar.  But it was Port who had the last word of the opening half when a Rhos free 
kick was cleared long from the Port box for Graham Boylan to chase and just as he had 
done against Rhyl last week he used his strength to hold off his marker and held his 
nerve to beat Crossthwaite from 15 yards. This made it 3-0 at the interval and a 
comeback by the bottom club seemed unlikely.

Rhos made two changes for the second half which appeared to improve the balance of the 
team and led to a better second half performance by the home team. Good work down the 
left by sub Rick Wright gave the home side an early opportunity as he found Hussaney at 
the near post but the resulting header went narrowly wide. Port still ruled the game 
territorially forcing a series of corners and Darren Thomas with his probing runs kept 
the pressure on the home defence for whom Mike Sharples gave a sterling performance at 
the back. Neither team created many clear chances but in the final twenty minutes the 
home side pushed forward attacking down the flanks without resorting to  their more 
direct approach. Jordan Smith, following a good break down the right, found Roy Caradus 
at the near post but his low shot went across goal and very narrowly wide. They now 
enjoyed a better spell with Fitzimmons firing over the bar from 20 yards and Wright saw 
his good angled shot blocked for a corner. With three minutes left Rhos got some reward 
for their efforts when a Rick Wright cross from the left was only scrambled away to the 
edge of the box and home skipper Fitzsimmons lobbed over Richard Harvey to score. Port 
responded immediately and Darren Thomas, who had already had a strong appeal for a 
penalty turned down by referee John Spender, broke into the box only to be brought down 
and this time the referee did point to the spot with Aled Dodd receiving a yellow card 
for the offence. Darren Thomas himself scored from the spot, firing  into the corner of 
the net having sent Crossthwaite the wrong way. Port could have added a fifth when 
after another Darren Thomas break when Rhos survived shots by Thomas himself Iwan Williams 
and Mark Jones. Then in injury time Craig Roberts with a shot on the turn was only inches 
wide of the post. 

A good win keeps up the push for as high a finish as possible. With Flint not playing Port 
move into fifth but face a tough game next week against Caersws who are on a run of four 
straight wins.

Port: Richard Harvey, Gruff John Williams (Ryan Connolly 70), Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, 
Ryan Davies, Graham Austin, Darren Thomas, Craig Roberts, Graham Boylan (Mark Jones 73), 
Phil Williams, Jason Harvey (Iwan Williams 48).  Subs not used: Mike Foster, Merfyn Williams 
(gk)Yellow: Ryan Davies 69.

Rhos: Ashley Crossthwaite, Dan Gibbon, Mike Pugh (Rick Wright 46), Kevin Fitzimmons, Drew 
Wickins (Aled Dodd 81) Mike Sharples, Jordan Smith, Steve Powell, Roy Caradus, James Hussaney, 
Mike Parry (Robbie Dean 46). Sub not used: Danny Evans. Yellow: Dan Gibbon 29, 
Kevin Fitzimmons 59, Aled Dodd 87.

Referee: John Spender (Mold).		Attendance: 60

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 3 March

CPD Porthmadog ... 2     Rhyl FC ... 0
Graham Boylan 1
Mark Jones 84

It must have appeared a good time to visit the Traeth in view of the recent 
trials and tribulations which Porthmadog have endured. But sometimes when you 
feel the wall against your back there is only one direction to move. That 
proved to be the case as a goal by Alliance debutant Graham Boylan, after only 
50 seconds, was backed up by a performance of real character. Though the 
visitors camped themselves in the Port half for long periods of the second half 
an excellent defensive performance kept their goal opportunities to the very 
minimum. Then when things were tight in the nervous eighties Mark Jones’  first 
Port goal with a cool header eased those jangling nerve ends.
The game got off to a dramatic start with Graham Boylan latching on to a ball 
played over the Rhyl defence, holding off a strong challenge and coolly finding 
the corner of the net from 16 yards. This early lead was a rare experience for 
Port but it had a significant influence on the final result as the title favourites 
were now chasing the game. After only five minutes the jinx struck again and Port 
lost their captain Rhys Roberts with a leg injury and Ryan Davies came on. Richard 
Harvey then went down well to save when the ball came at him through a forest of 
legs. While at the other end Rhyl keeper Kasabaian needed a second attempt to hold 
a well struck Chris Williams free kick. Most of the play was now between the two 
penalty areas with neither goalkeeper troubled. Then when 27 minutes had elapsed 
the game sprung to life again as Danny Hughes on the edge of the Port box took 
advantage a loose ball and thundered a shot against the cross bar. Port responded 
with a break by Darren Thomas but his low angled shot drifted wide. The game then 
returned to a midfield stalemate and a far cry from the top quality game which the 
two sides had played at the Belle Vue. Port had a couple of sniffs at goal later in 
the half. Gruff Williams’ near post cross was flicked on and it was only marginally 
beyond Craig Roberts and Roberts again came close only to see Kasabaian’s 
outstretched hand divert it for a corner. The best Rhyl chance at this stage came 
when Forbes headed Dowling’s left wing cross wide of the post. But half time came 
with Boylan’s early goal still separating the two sides.

Rhyl upped the pace from the start of the second period and began the territorial 
dominance which was to prove the norm. Despite this early pressure Rhyl only had a 
couple of fruitless corners to show for it. It was twenty minutes into the second 
half before Richard Harvey was called into serious action and he then went down well 
to gather the ball at the feet of Danny Hughes as Hughes burst goalwards. Two minutes 
later and Ryan Williams, another member of Rhyl’s strong midfield, fired a shot from 
the edge of the box which flew narrowly past Richard Harvey’s left hand post. But Rhyl, 
for all their pressure, failed to open up the home defence and it was another Ryan 
Williams shot which provided the only threat. The Port defence, with Ryan Davies winning 
everything in the air ably supported by Grahame Austin marshalling affairs in the box. 
Chris Williams continued his current super run of form at full back and partner 17 year 
old Gruff Williams looked cool and competent in his Alliance debut. In front of them Craig 
Roberts, Phil Williams and Steve Kehoe closed down and battled for every ball. Then with 
a nail biting final five minutes in prospect Darren Thomas got a foot in to win the ball 
out on the left, breaking to the edge of the box and lifted a quality cross for Mark Jones 
to score his first goal for Port with a well placed header from eight yards. The relief 
around the ground could be felt and, despite having to survive a Courtney header with the 
aid of the cross bar, Port came close to snatching a third. Again Darren Thomas was 
involved exchanging passes with Iwan Williams but Kasabaian went down at his near post to 
keep out Williams’ low shot. 
Rhyl despite their territorial advantage rarely looked like opening the Port defence and 
that despite some good runs down both flanks. Port will wonder, as they take pleasure 
from a win over Rhyl, how things have turned into something of a nightmare for a club who 
have picked up 4 points in their clashes with both Connah’s Quay and Rhyl. But today we can 
all savour, well done the lads!

Port: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, Rhys Roberts 
(Ryan Davies 5), Grahame Austin, Darren Thomas, Craig Roberts, Graham Boylan 
(Mark Jones 84) , Phil Williams, Jason Harvey (Iwan Williams 62), Subs not used: 
Ryan Connolly, Mike Foster. Yellow: Chris Williams 83.
Rhyl: Matt Kasabaian, Matt Woodward, Shaun Dowling Russ Courtney, Steph Halewood, 
Danny Hughes, Ryan Williams, Paul Mooney, Dave Forbes, Mike Pritchard, Will Thomas 
(Tom Rowlands 57). Subs not used: Scott Beckett, Jim Gambino, Graham Davison, Danny 
Jarrett. Yellow: Tom Rowlands 90.

Referee: J B Roberts                       Attendance:  184.

Huws Gray Cup             -Tuesday, 28 February

Porthmadog .... 3            	Gap Connah's Quay .... 6 (AET - 3-3 at Full Time)
Craig Roberts 6		Mark McGregor 1
Darren Thomas 48		Ricky Evans (pen)40
Graham Boylan 85		Rhys Healey 71
			Rob Jones 99
			Liam Lauchlin 115
			Jamie Pertrie 118

On paper, tonight’s result looked like a repeat of Saturday’s
disappointing performance. Six goals conceded for the second game running 
won’t have pleased manager Gareth Parry, however the nature of the 
performance was very different. Indeed, he can take a lot of heart from the 
character shown by the makeshift side who came from behind to equalise on three 

Port supporters had seen their side start Saturday’s game poorly, 
conceding a goal after just 6 minutes. Tonight’s start was even worse! It 
took Mark McGregor only 60 seconds to open Connah’s Quay’s account 
tonight. As on Saturday, the Port defence went to sleep, allowing an unmarked 
McGregor to get on the end of a hopeful long ball from midfield to head the 
opener past young keeper Meilir Hughes.

Unlike Saturday’s game against Buckley though, where Port had gone on to 
concede a further two goals before the first 15 minutes was up, Port heads 
didn’t go down and within barely five minutes they were back on level 
terms. This time it was the visitors’ turn to go to sleep at the back. 
The ball fell to an unmarked Craig Roberts on the edge of the box and the 
striker made no mistake, turning well and finishing with a strong shot which 
went in off John Rushton’s right post. More lax marking in the home 
defence nearly allowed Ricky Evans to restore Quay’s lead a minute later, 
but his header went just wide following a cross from Pertrie.

The game continued to be quite open throughout the early part of the half with 
both sides looking to create goal scoring opportunities. Port’s best 
chances falling to Darren Thomas, whose 11th minute free kick required Rushton 
to tip the ball round the post, and Jason Harvey, who saw his cross-come-shot 
tipped over the bar by the keeper. As the half wore on, the visitors began to 
gain the upper hand but failed to create any clear-cut chances. Then on 40 
minutes came the incident that changed the course of the match. Having done 
well to give Chris Williams the slip, Pertrie found himself one-on-one against 
Meilir Hughes in the Port goal. He managed to flick the ball past the 
out-rushing keeper, only to be felled in the penalty box. The referee felt he 
had no option but to give Hughes a red card and to award a penalty. Veteran 
striker Ricky Evans coolly slotted the penalty past replacement keeper Richard 
Harvey to give the visitors a half time lead.

Ten man Port had a mountain to climb in the second half, but against all the 
odds they were back on level terms just 3 minutes after the restart. A 30 yard 
Darren Thomas free kick from the left hand side somehow found its way through a 
forest of legs and into the back of Rushton’s goal. This setback stirred 
Connah’s Quay into action and the created numerous good chances to regain 
the lead. After 50 minutes, Harvey made a great save – parrying the 
off-side looking Rob Jones’s shot past the post. Two minutes later Liam 
Laughlin spurned a good chance with a weak shot after he had done all the hard 
work controlling the ball well from a long pass. Minutes later, a couple more 
marginal off-side calls – both going in favour of the visitors – 
allowed great goal-scoring opportunities for substitute Rhys Healey. Both times 
he was set up by Rob Jones, his first going past the post while the second 
forced Richard Harvey to rush off his line to smother the ball.

Midway through the half and it was all one way traffic. On 64 minutes Mark 
McGregor went close to scoring his second with a long range effort, but this 
time the cross-bar came to Port’s rescue. Then with 19 minutes left on 
the clock, Port’s off-side trap was beaten again, allowing Jamie Pertrie 
to find Healey completely unmarked. The substitute, who had been wasteful with 
previous chances, could hardly fail to score this time – passing the ball 
into an empty net.

After going behind for the third time, Port upped their game but were unable to 
create any clear chances. Their best move was started by Darren Thomas in his 
own half. His run and pass found debutant striker Graham Boylan who in turn 
found left-back Chris Williams in an advanced position. Unfortunately he was 
unable to finish off the move and his shot went just over the bar. Then with 
just 5 minutes remaining, Port levelled for a third time. Darren Thomas beat 
Michael Robinson all ends up, fired a low cross into the box and Boylan, who 
had worked hard all game, was on hand to steer the ball past John Rushton in 
the visitor’s goal. There was still time for two more chances for Healey 
to settle things in normal time. With two minutes to go, he saw his goal-bound 
shot deflected for a  corner and in the last minute he was denied a goal by a 
great Richard Harvey save.

The 30 minutes of extra time proved too much for the ten men of Porthmadog. By 
the second period in particular, some of the players – all of whom had 
worked their socks off – were visibly tiring. The home side only managed 
two half chances in the 30 minutes – both falling to Boylan and neither 
really troubling Quay’s goalkeeper. The visitors were making their 
man’s advantage pay. After 97 minutes Rob Jones forced another great save 
from Harvey – this time the keeper managed to get finger-tips to the 
striker’s attempted lob to force the ball past the post. Two minutes 
later though, Pertrie set-up Rob Jones with a simple cross from the bye-line 
and this time he gave Harvey no chance to prevent Connah’s Quay regaining 
the lead for the 4th time.

The second extra time period was more one-sided as Port tired. After 115 
minutes Liam Laughlin added the 5th goal with a curling effort from the edge of 
the box and just three minutes later came the last goal. This time a loose ball 
fell to Pertrie who sent Harvey the wrong way.

After Saturday’s limp effort, It was good to see such a battling 
performance from Port. Yes, Connah’s Quay had the lion’s share of 
the chances, particularly after the sending off, but Port showed great 
character to come from behind three times. If the team show a similar attitude 
against Rhyl on Saturday, they should do well – especially if they can go 
the duration with 11 men!

Porthmadog: Meilir Huws, Gruffudd Williams, Chris Williams, Phil Williams,
Rhys Roberts, Graham Austin, Darren Thomas, Craig Roberts (Richard Harvey 40),
Graham Boylan, Ryan Connolly (Steve Kehoe), Jason Harvey (Mike Foster).
Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Dan McCormack. Red: Meilir Huws 40

Conna's Quay: John Rushton, Ben Alston, Jordan Beck (Rhys Healey), Mark McGregor,
Michael Robinson, Craig Jones, Jamie Pertrie, Liam Laughlin, Rob Jones (Ryan Jones),
Ricky Evans, Alan Hooley.

Ref: Mark Petch.

Emyr Gareth

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 25 February
Match Sponsor: Bernie Smith

Porthmadog .... 2             Buckley Town .... 6
Lee Atherton(og) 30       Anthony Williams 6
Craig Roberts 53               Gareth Edwards 6,13
                                        Andy Moran 47
                                        Matthew Hughes 50
                                        Derek Taylor 88

A Buckley goal blitz put them three goals up by the time thirteen 
minutes had gone and realistically as early as this in the game, 
there was little chance of a Port recovery. The manner in which 
the goals were conceded was extremely disappointing suggesting that 
the struggles of recent weeks had finally got to the players. They 
have battled against numerous very serious injuries, suspensions, 
being docked three points and to cap it all Bangor’s recall of loanee 
Clive Williams to play in a League Cup-tie. All of this with 
a small squad, but none of it can take away from the strong Buckley 
showing. Though Port ruled territorially for long periods they were 
unable to match the ruthless goal power of Buckley who capitalised on 
any errors to punish Port.
An early test on Buckley’s new keeper by Darren Thomas was only a 
prelude for some destructive Buckley attacking. Only a minute later 
debutant Port keeper Meilir Huws was inaction pulling off a good double 
save following a free kick on the left. With six minutes on the clock 
the visitors went ahead. A short corner on the right gave Lipton the 
chance to lift a dangerous cross to the back post where the tall figure 
of Gareth Edwards rose above everyone to net with a clean header. In 
the twelfth and thirteenth minute Port suffered a double whammy. Slack 
defending  following a corner which keeper Samaane gathered before 
clearing down the field. The ball was allowed to travel dangerously 
through midfield and Anthony Williams outpaced the defenders to race in 
on goal to make it 2-0. A minute later and Gareth Edwards gave a repeat 
performance of his earlier back post header meeting a Leonard free kick 
to score again. After this early onslaught the visitors had a couple of 
breaks but mainly it was Port in possession in the Buckley half. Despite 
this they only rarely troubled the Buckley defence. A good move involving 
Darren Thomas and Craig Roberts brought a good save from Samaane down at 
Roberts’ feet. With 38 minutes gone Port pulled one back but even then 
they needed a hand or rather a head from Buckley. A well struck Connolly 
free kick ended up in the back of the net via defender Atherton’s head. 
This gave the home side some hope and Rhys Roberts brought a good save 
from Samaane and Darren Thomas was only inches away from scoring when he 
got a good head to Phil Williams’ right wing cross. It remained 3-1 at 
the interval.
It was not to be Port’s day this was clear for  with two minutes of the 
second period gone they conceded a free kick in a central position just 
outside the area. Experienced Andy Moran a cracked a low free kick past 
Meilir Huws who could hardly in only eight second half minutes with Port 
this time scoring a second. It was a goal of quality which belied so much 
in their earlier performance. Good work down the right by Rhys Roberts, 
whose head had certainly not gone down at any stage, was followed by an 
excellent angled ball finding Craig Roberts racing in at the far post to 
score with a low 15 yard shot. Port continued to push forward but Buckley 
now concentrated completely on keeping things tight at the back and rely 
on the occasional counter attack. This proved to be more than enough. Though 
Port did work one or two openings for themselves. Darren Thomas came close 
on a couple of occasions and Iwan Williams had his shot blocked after getting 
into a good position in the box. Late on Samaane did well to touch over a 
Darren Thomas effort and it summed up Port’s afternoon when Rhys Roberts netted 
with a header only to hear the referee’s whistle blow for a free kick. The last 
word went to Buckley when with 88 minutes gone the stretched Port defence was 
caught out again and Taylor at the back post rubbed it in with a sixth goal 
heading in Smith’s deep cross.
A Port performance, especially at the back, totally unrecognisable from all 
that has gone before during the season. Gareth and Campbell now face the task 
of lifting the players ahead of the League Cup tie at the Traeth on Wednesday.

Port: Meilir Huws, Phil Williams (Jason Harvey 64), Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Iwan Williams, Craig Roberts, Rhys Roberts, Ryan 
Connolly (Mike Foster 82), Darren Thomas. Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Danny 
McCormick, Merfyn Williams(gk). Yellow: Ryan Davies, Steve Kehoe.
Buckley: Al Samaane, Anthony Lipton, Matt Hughes, Lee Atherton, Mark Allen, Gareth 
Edwards, Derek Taylor, John Leonard, Carl Lamb (Neil Owen 22), Anthony Williams 
(Tom Smith), Andy Moran(Jacques Bonifer). Subs not used: Brereton, McIntyre.

Referee: MW Roberts

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 18 February 

gap Connah’s Quay .... 1             CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Mark McGregor 76                     Chris Williams 45

Despite failing to hold on to the goal lead held at the interval Port 
have to feel satisfied with a point considering they had to play 
for most of the second half with ten players. Richard Harvey received a 
straight red card having raced out of his area and then adjudged to 
have fouled his opponent. As he was the last man he was dismissed. 
A stiff wind provided difficult playing conditions and as a result 
this was hardly a classic with few clear opportunities  and with the 
two sides cancelling each other out in what was a midfield battle 
lacking in goalmouth incident. 
Both teams suffered injuries to key players in the opening half. 
Gareth Jones Evans who had started on fire down the left was taken 
off after only nine minutes. He came off worst when he and keeper John 
Rushton challenged for a 50/50 ball on the edge of the area. With five 
minutes to go to half time Connah’s Quay lost their free scoring striker 
Gary O’Toole who went down with what appeared to be an ankle injury with 
no other player near him. It was mainly a half battled out in midfield 
with few if any clear cut chances at either end. Richard Harvey was the 
first keeper in action saving a Craig Jones shot from the edge of the box 
following a corner. Port responded with a couple of breaks down the left 
with Gareth Jones Evans prominent. Clive Williams set up Craig Roberts, 
after 13 minutes, with a shooting opportunity on the edge of the box but 
the shot drifted wide of the post. Connah’s Quay threatened in the middle 
part of the half with Richard Harvey saving well from Petrie through a 
crowded box and soon after Harvey was again in action from Petrie this 
time cutting out a dangerous cross. Towards the end of the half Port pushed 
forward and Rushton saved well an Austin blast from distance and when Rhys 
Roberts broke on the left he found Clive Williams at the far post but the 
header was straight at Rushton.  But it was a case of defences on top 
throughout the half and if either side was to find a goal, a set piece seemed 
the most likely option. That is how it worked out with a cracking Chris 
Williams free kick from 25 yards wide on the right breaking the deadlock in 
added time in the first half. He struck it well left footed, curling it 
across  the goal, finding the net off the underside of the cross bar. 
Apart from the goal Williams was outstanding at left back and played a 
key role in an excellent defensive performance
The second half opened with the Nomads on the attack. Richard Harvey was in 
the action punching away a Dobbins corner but as it was played back into the 
goalmouth Port were relieved to scramble the ball away. Then came the incident 
which was to change the game. Richard Harvey, after 56 minutes, raced off his 
line as Danny Forde broke behind the Port and in the ensuing challenge Forde 
was brought down. Referee Fawkes adjudged Harvey to be the last man and he was 
red carded. Port reorganised bringing on goal keeping coach and veteran keeper 
Merfyn Williams who last played for Port in season 2004/05! This meant that 
Steve Kehoe had to be withdrawn. Port were quick to reorganise setting themselves 
up with two banks of four to stifle to Nomads attacks and rely on the occasional 
break forward from Arran Richmond or Iwan Williams. This was done successfully 
and for the next 20 minutes despite having to concede most of the possession the 
Nomads were denied scoring opportunities. Then with 75 minutes gone a dangerous 
Petrie cross was partially cleared by Merfyn Williams and another scramble 
followed but the Port defence once more cleared their lines. A minute later came 
the Nomads equaliser and it was from an unlikely source. Central defender Mark 
McGregor suddenly found himself in behind the Port defence and with Merfyn Williams 
racing off his line the player manager coolly lobbed the ball over the keeper’s 
head into the empty net.  The Nomads now scented the three points but when Rhys 
Healey met another Petrie cross he failed to head it on target. Port held out under 
pressure from Healey’s long throws and as a lengthy amount of time was added they 
survived a hairy moment when Petrie’s angled shot struck the cross bar and deeper 
still into added time Merfyn Williams kept out a close range Healey header.
A hard earned draw but problems mount for manager Gareth Parry. Gareth Jones Evans 
now joins the injury list and Richard Harvey will miss the next three games. These 
games include the visits of Buckley and Rhyl to the Traeth.

Port: Richard Harvey, Ryan Connolly, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe (Merfyn Williams 57), 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Craig Roberts (Darren Thomas 86), Iwan Williams, Rhys 
Roberts, Clive Williams, Gareth Jones Evans(Aaron Richmond 9). Subs not used: Mike 
Foster, Gareth Parry. Red: Richard Harvey 56, Yellow: Ryan Connolly 48, Craig Roberts 59.

Connah’s Quay: John Rushton, Jack Rowlands, Danny Dobbins (Rhys Healey 67), Mark 
McGregor, Mike Robinson, Craig Jones, Jamie Petrie, Danny Forde (Alan Hooley 88), Gary 
O’Toole (Rob Jones 42) Ricky Evans, Liam Loughlin. Subs not used: Ben Ashton, Shaun 
Tilsley. Yellow: Danny Forde 18, Danny Dobbins 66.

Referee: D Fawkes                                          Attendance: 142.

Huws Gray Alliance         -Saturday, 28 January

CPD Porthmadog ... 2                     Guilsfield FC ... 1
Darren Thomas 27                           Ian Probert 37
Craig Roberts 50

Porthmadog were pleased, despite their growing injury list, 
to break the sequence of three defeats with a win over the 
visitors from mid-Wales. The narrow score line meant that, 
despite their territorial domination and a huge advantage in 
terms of possession, the home side could not afford to relax 
until the referee Martin Trigg blew the final whistle. A well 
taken goal five minutes after the interval was all that 
separated the two sides at the end. Defending in numbers and 
penned in their own half for long periods the visitors were 
left to wonder, as they enjoyed their only period of sustained 
attack during the eight minutes of added time, if a more 
adventurous approach would have served them better.

Port were on the attack from the off and play was more or less 
confined to the visitors half of the field but with Guilsfield 
defending in depth the home side found their chances very limited 
and in fact did not test keeper Littleford until more than 15 
minutes had passed when Darren Thomas curled a shot in from the 
left. By that time Guilsfield could have been ahead as with a 
solitary early attack they struck the bar with Richard Harvey 
expecting to see it to go over. This came from a quick Guilsfield 
break with the ball running loose to Leonard whose angled shot 
struck the bar and had this been followed up it could have been the 
mid-Wales club taking the lead. It was Port who deservedly went 
ahead however with 27 minutes gone. Steve Kehoe freed Mark  Jones 
down the left and the young forward held off a tackle to break to 
the bye line. He looked up and found Darren Thomas in space in the 
box and a cool finish gave Thomas his ninth goal of the season.  
The game at this stage was becoming increasingly physical with some 
heavy tackles flying in and Darren Thomas in particular suffered. 
Yellow cards to two Guilsfield players did not stem the physical 
nature of the game and with half an hour gone a Darren Thomas run  
was stopped by yet another heavy tackle and this lead to a flair up 
involving several players. The referee responded showing Rob Cookson 
a red card for the tackle and Porthmadog’s Mark Jones also saw red 
for retaliating. Gareth Jones Evans tested Littleford with a lob 
from 20 yards but with less possession the visitors were able to 
threaten on the break. From one of these attacks Richard Harvey had 
be quick off his line to go down at the feet of Chris Roberts. But 
with 37 minutes on the clock a quick counterattack was poorly defended 
and Ian Probert took his opportunity well lifting his shot over the 
head of the advancing Richard Harvey into the unguarded net to bring 
the scores level. 

Five minutes into the second half Port restored their lead with the 
best move of the match. Good work by Darren Thomas down the left allowed 
Chris Williams to send a dangerous lofted cross to the near post where 
Craig Roberts rose well and directed his accurate header across the keeper 
to score.  Guilsfield responded immediately and Richard Harvey had to be 
alert to keep out a Probert snapshot from 18 yards.  Port continued to 
enjoy most of the possession and Darren Thomas drew a save from the keeper 
when he fired one from the edge of the box and Craig Roberts might have 
scored with a second header but he was narrowly wide meeting an excellent 
deep cross from Ryan Connolly.  Littleford then produced a save diving to 
his right to keep out Iwan Williams. Littleford was in action again soon 
after keeping out Gareth Jones Evans following a period of heavy Port 
pressure penning the visitors into their own 18 yard box. Following this 
Littleford was relieved to push away another well struck Gareth Jones 
Evans effort. But for all their possession Port were unable to gain the 
luxury of a two goal advantage. Guilsfield though under the cosh for so 
long remained dangerous on the break and when Mark Davies crossed Richard 
Harvey needed to pull off a good save to keep out Leonard’s header. Mark 
Davies then sent a dangerous free kick across the face of goal but there 
was no finishing touch. There were several late substitutions and two of 
these combined for Port with  Rhys Roberts heading a Clive Williams  cross 
narrowly over the bar. Then with the referee finding 8 extra minutes the 
mid-Wales club suddenly scented the chance of a point. They at last pushed 
forward in numbers and it was a tense finale as Port survived a penalty 
appeal and a dangerous Haralambous shot which went over the bar. 

This win lifts Port into third place but 7 points adrift of Connah’s Quay. 
Teams around them have at least one game in hand. They need now to pick up 
points away at Ruthin and Rhos before the vital clashes with Connah’s Quay 
nd Buckley which provide an opportunity to close the gap on their rivals.

Port: Richard Harvey, Ryan Connolly, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe (Rhys Roberts 76), 
Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Iwan Williams (Aaron Richmond 84), Craig Roberts 
(Clive Williams 71), Mark Jones, Darren Thomas, Gareth Jones Evans. Subs not used: 
Phil Williams, Merfyn Williams (gk). Red: Mark Jones 31. Yellow: Darren Thomas 43, 
Ryan Davies 57.

Guilsfield: Littleford, Mark Davies (Haralambous 87), Rob Cookson, Mike Parry 
(Heenan 77), Henderson, Jonathan Jones, Gareth Jones, Ed Baldwin, Ian Probert, 
Chris Roberts,  Nathan Leonard. Subs not used: Russ Cadwallader, Danny Barton. 
Red: Rob Cookson. Yellow: Chris Roberts 29, Nathan Leonard 29. 

Referee: Martin Trigg (Rhyl)                        Attendance: 131


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us