CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Penrhyncoch (a) | Bwcle / Buckley (a) | Rhyl (a) | Bwcle (h) | Llandudno (h) | Rhyl (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance    -Saturday, 5 January
CPD Porthmadog ... 0        Rhyl FC ... 3
                                            Paul McManus 22(p)
                                            Dan Forbes 69
                                            James Gambino 83
The turning point in today's game came in the 69th minute when some shambolic 
defending gifted Rhyl a goal. Prior to this, although the visitors deserved 
to be  ahead,  the only goal had come courtesy of a kick from the spot . Up 
until the gifted goal Port were very much in a game which failed to reproduce 
the flair of the previous encounter at the Belle Vue. Once that second goal 
came Port had given themselves a mountain to climb and Rhyl relaxed to play 
with more convinction than they had previously shown, adding a well struck 
third 7 minutes from time.  
After  a tentative start it was Port who provided the first goal threat when 
Darren Thomas, following a good run by Rhys Roberts, fired a shot from 18 yards 
which keeper Alex Ramsey was relieved to see missing his right hand post. Much 
of the play which followed was in between the two boxes but just after the 
quarter of an hour Richard Harvey was glad to go down at his near post to cut 
out Woodward’s low cross. Rhyl looked dangerous on the break and, when Forbes 
found Marc Evans wide on the left, it took a good defensive header from Josh 
Banks to cut out a dangerous cross. But two minutes later the visitors gained 
he breakthrough when  a penalty was disappointingly conceded.  A confident Paul 
McManus strike wide of Richard Harvey’s right hand and Rhyl were ahead. Around 
the half hour mark another Rhyl counterattack threatened the Port goal but Forbes 
blazed his shot over the bar. A minute later Richard Harvey at his back post 
saved well from Cadwallader. But Port were not out of the game and a Steve Kehoe 
thunderbolt from 20 yards was touched over the bar by the visitors keeper. 
Towards the end of the half Port pushed forward in search of an equaliser with 
Scott Sephton firing over from 20 yards and Graham Boylan only narrowly off 
target when he met a Ceri James free kick. Half time came with Rhyl just about 
deserving their interval lead. 
The second half started uninspiringly apart from a 48th minute angled shot across 
the face of goal from Tom Rowlands.  Ten minutes into the second half a poor 
Ramsey clearance straight to Darren Thomas provided Port with a good opportunity. 
The ball was passed on to Scott Sephton whose stinging shot went straight at the 
keeper who grateful for the opportunity to make up for his error. The game then 
continued in rather pedestrian fashion broken up only by blasts on the referee’s 
whistle for what felt like an endless series of free kicks. When the ref rested 
his whistle substitute announcements took over as the only interest. With 69 
minutes on the clock came the decisive moment of the game and seasonably had more 
pantomime about it than football. Twice Port defenders could have cleared their 
lines and under no apparent pressure the ball was squared across the face of goal. 
Richard Harvey still had time to complete the clearance but allowed the ball to 
run away from him and in nipped Dan Forbes to intercept and tap into an empty net.  
Following this goal Rhyl started to look like champions in waiting for the first 
time. Subs Gambino and Lewis combined well down the left and it needed a good 
Harvey save to keep them out.  Gambino continued to threaten and after a good Rhyl 
build up he fired over the bar. It was Gambino who scored the third when he took 
advantage of a partial clearance to drill clinically from 15 yards. The game was 
now over and as Port pushed forward there was a 25 yard effort from Josh Banks and 
one or two Carl Owen touches to remind us of what we have been missing over the 
past 16 months. It was good also to welcome back Gruffydd John after a lengthy 
Rhyl deserved the points, though the three goal advantage was probably flattering. 
The game lacked the fluency and quality of the encounter at the Belle Vue but the 
visitors will care little about that. I think it is probably safe now to wish our 
friends at Rhyl well when they are back in the WPL. We shall miss our visit to the 
Belle Vue next season!
Port: Richard Harvey, Steve Kehoe, Josh Banks, Dan Pyrs, Rhys Roberts, Grahame 
Austin, Darren Thomas, Ceri James (Phil Williams 81), Graham Boylan, Scott Sephton 
( Gruff Williams 78), Leon Newell (Carl Owen 67).  Subs not used: Mike Foster, 
Merfyn Williams (gk). Yellow: Rhys Roberts 21, Steve Kehoe 58. 
Rhyl: Alex Ramsey, Mark Powell, Mark Cadwallader, Russ Courtney, Stefan Halewood, 
Matt Woodward, Danny Hughes, Paul McManus, Dan Forbes (Danny Jarrett 85), Marc Evans 
(James Gambino 60), Tom Rowlands (Steve Lewis 64). Subs not used: John Leah, Greg 
Strong. Yellow: Danny Hughes 49.
Referee: Gareth Wyn Jones                     Attendance: 214.    

Huws Gray Alliance    -Saturday, 15 December.
CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Llandudno ... 2
Dan Pyrs 20		Dean Seager 9
			Dean Seager 81 (pen)

A gift wrapped early goal scored by Dean Seager and a late penalty by the 
same player were enough to give Llandudno the three points. In between Port 
dominated the possession and the territory but failed to turn these 
advantages into goal scoring chances. They were left to rue another home 
game where they could and should have gained a far better return from an 
afternoon of frustration.
Port were on the attack from the start and in the first six minutes there 
were long range sighters from both Darren Thomas and Ceri James as well as 
a Scott Sephton header  straight at keeper Metcalfe. Then out of the blue 
disaster struck. Under no apparent pressure a Grahame Austin missed his kick 
on the edge of the box  allowed the ball to roll kindly for Dean Seager who 
was free to pounce goalwards netting past the advancing Richard Harvey. Port 
should have levelled the score almost immediately. Winning a free kick on the 
left which Ceri James curled to the back post where two attackers got in 
unchallenged, but Scott Sephton’s final touch took it wide. O’Mahoney broke 
down the left for Llandudno but Seager failed to capitalise on a good cross. 
But after 20 minutes Port drew level and deservedly so. It was a really good 
move to set up the opportunity. Leon Newell did well to control a long cross 
field pass, cut inside finding Grahame Boylan in the box with a low ball and 
the striker played a perfect ball into the the path of Dan Pyrs who netted 
with a low shot from 10 yards.  Port continued to control play for the 
remainder of the half with hardly a threat from the visitors. But despite 
forcing a series of corners Port failed to add to the score. One of Port’s 
better opportunities came from one of these corners with Scott Sephton 
forcing Metcalfe into a good save low at his near post. The best chance of all 
came on the stroke of half time when a long Ryan Davies cross field pass put 
Leon Newell in behind the defence and in one one with keeper Metcalfe. The 
keeper came out well and blocked the attempt to slip the ball past him into an 
unguarded net.  1-1 at the interval.
Port started the second period with more fire looking to get the ball forward 
quicker. A minute into the half Graham Boylan broke to the byline but once 
again a failure to get bodies into the box allowed Darren Jones to clear for a 
corner. At this stage Boylan was in the thick of things and following a good 
break his attempt to lob the keeper went over the bar. Josh Banks, who was 
having another good game at left back, tried a shot from 30 yards which had 
Metcalfe back pedalling but again went over the bar. Just past the hour mark a 
good Boylan lay off provided Scott Sephton with a shooting opportunity which he 
struck well from the edge of the box, but Metcalfe pulled off an excellent save 
diving to his left. Soon after another close range opportunity was deflected 
away as a ball bounced dangerously loose in the 6 yard box with Ryan Davies 
attempting to apply the final touch. Gradually with Port, despite the pressure, 
failing to find a winner the visitors began to mount a few attacks of their own 
with Lee Thomas and Dean Seager prominent. With the home defence becoming more 
stretched  as they pushed forward and a with less than ten minutes left a melee 
in the Port box ended with referee Scott Langley showing Grahame Austin a yellow 
card and pointing to the spot. Dean Seager coolly dispatched the 81st minute 
penalty for his second of the afternoon. Port made late efforts to snatch an 
equaliser but failed to trouble Metcalfe. Scott Sephton limped off with a foot 
injury and there was another late late sub appearance for Carl Owen.
A third straight win for Llandudno brings them within a point of Port. A good 
seven match unbeaten run has given way to a three home matches, against Rhydymwyn, 
Buckley and Llandudno, where Port have picked up only one point. 
Port: Richard Harvey, Ryan Davies, Josh Banks, Dan Pyrs, Grahame Austin, Rhys 
Roberts, Leon Newell (Carl Owen 86), Ceri James, Graham Boylan, Scott Sephton 
(Phil Williams 76), Darren Thomas. Subs not used: Campbell Harrison, Merfyn 
Williams (gk). Yellow: Ryan Davies 69, Grahame Austin 81, Rhys Roberts 86.
Llandudno: Andy Metcalfe, Ben Hughes, Luke O’Mahoney (Arran Boyle 68), Arran 
Pritchard, Paul Roberts, Connor Tierney, Iwan Williams, Darren Jones, Lee Thomas, 
Dean Seager (Peter Jones 90). Subs not used: Jordan Carrington, Julian Williams, 
John Dowd (gk).
Referee: Scott Langley (Meliden)            Attendance: 109.   

Huws Gray Alliance    -Saturday, 8 December.
CPD Porthmadog ... 1		Buckley Town ... 4
Leon Newell 50.		Carl Lamb 29
			Anthony Lipson 60
			Mark Allen 73
			Phil Molyneux 90
A week is a long time in football as Port discovered today. This was only 
a pale shadow of the team who held rampant Rhyl to a draw last week or 
for that matter the team, who only a fortnight ago, played and exciting 
raw with today’s opponents. But that is not to take anything away from 
Buckley who had more goal power and capitalised fully on any defensive 
errors. Port enjoyed plenty of possession, especially in the opening half, 
but failed to threaten in their opponents penalty area and created very 
few chances during the 90 minutes.
The visitors were first to threaten and after only two minutes Richard 
Harvey was relieved to gather a rebound off the post after Tom Smith had 
broken clear down the right. The play that followed was mainly in midfield 
with neither side able to establish control and create chances. There were 
a couple of efforts from distance from Lamb and Lipton for Buckley without 
threatening Harvey’s goal. The closest Port came to scoring in the first 
half came after 11 minutes when the ball broke to Boylan, following a good 
build up involving Rhys Roberts and Darren Thomas, and the forward was 
unlucky to see his curling shot from 16 yards pass narrowly the wrong side 
of the post. But the effort was unfortunately was not a signal for more Port 
goal threats for though they enjoyed plenty of possession the slow build up 
failed to trouble the Buckley defence. Though Buckley rarely threatened 
themselves, apart from a Ryan Astley header straight at Richard Harvey, they 
did take the lead as the game reached  an uneventful  half hour mark. Right 
back Joe Freeman set up the Buckley goal breaking from deep and was allowed 
to run all the way to the byline before crossing low for Carl Lamb whose 
angled shot found the net  at the far post. Apart from the goal there was 
little else to worry either keeper, apart perhaps from an 18 yard effort 
Taylor for Buckley  which went narrowly wide. At the other end keeper Jones 
dropped a cross but Boylan’s shot took a deflection for a corner and later 
Banks’ left wing cross was only inches beyond the diving Boylan. Buckley 
retained their 1-0 lead at the interval. 
Port were quickly out of the blocks in the second period and Darren Thomas’ 
deep cross was met by Leon Newell whose shot was deflected on to the bar.  
This was followed by a Rhys Roberts header which flew wide of the target. 
Five minutes into the half and Port were level. A long ball out from the back 
had Leon Newell racing in behind the Buckley defence. He held off a strong 
challenge to score with a low shot from 15 yards past the advancing Ben Jones.  
But the Port revival proved short lived for within 10 minutes Buckley were 
back in the lead. A poor pass at the back allowed Buckley in and Lipson was 
freed on the right of the box to lift the ball over the advancing Harvey into 
the net. Minutes later the ball was given away again and Port were kept in the 
game by a good double Harvey save from Lamb at his near post. Port responded 
with a break down the left from Josh Banks whose deep cross found Darren Thomas 
but he lifted his first time shot over the bar. But with 73 minutes gone the 
Flintshire club struck again when Taylor’s lob clattered the bar and the 
quickest to respond was Buckley defender Mark Allen who headed the rebound into 
an open goal. There was no way back now for Port though they might have cut the 
deficit with five minutes left. A good Darren Thomas cross to the far post 
reached Phil Williams who failed to get a clean shot on goal and Ben Jones was 
able to palm the ball away to safety. In injury time Buckley rubbed salt in the 
wound with a fourth. Norton’s low cross from the left was deflected into he path 
of Phil Molyneux who tapped in from close range. A 4-1 win for Buckley and a 
margin few would have expected at the start of the game.
This defeat brings to an end a 7 match unbeaten league run. This game also 
provided such a huge contrast  with the three performances on the road. Despite 
using a similar pattern of building from the back, today they were unable create 
many opportunities.  A strong Buckley defensive and midfield performance 
restricted Port’s opportunities to break forward and in the second half especially 
the visitors were able to take advantage of home errors. 
Port: Richard Harvey, Ryan Davies( Phil Williams 74), Josh Banks, Steve Kehoe, Dan 
Pyrs, Rhys Roberts, Leon Newell, Ceri James (Gareth Parry 84), Gareth Boylan, Scott 
Sephton, Darren Thomas. Subs not used: Campbell Harrison, Merfyn Williams.
Buckley: Ben Jones, Joe Freeman ( Phil Molyneux 63), Matty Hughes, Mark Allen, 
Ryan Astley, Anthony Lipson, Derek Taylor, John Leonard, Tom Smith, Carl Lamb 
(Reece Norton 63) , Adam Eden (Dylan Corrie 81). Subs not used: Aled Reece, 
David Griffiths.
Referee: Scott Langley (Meliden)            Attendance: 110.

Huws Gray Alliance    -Saturday, 1 December
Rhyl FC ... 2		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Danny Hughes 6		Josh Banks 26
Mark Powell 78		Ryan Davies 76
Porthmadog travelled to the Belle Vue as underdogs but they went on to 
become the first club this season to take points off the league leaders 
on their own ground and it could well have been more. Rhyl scored an 
early goal with Port restoring parity midway through the opening half 
before going ahead 14 minutes from time. But the lead lasted all of two 
minutes as Powell struck for Rhyl with a 25 yard blockbuster. It was a 
top quality match played in front of a crowd of  426. Port controlled 
much of the opening half and created the better chances but Rhyl are not 
league leaders for nothing and, despite being reduced to 10 men, made the 
second half into a tense exciting attacking affair. 
After an early period where both sides gave the ball away the home side 
struck with an early goal. Tom Rowlands cut in from the right and his low 
cross found Danny Hughes in space 15 yards out, and his low shot inside 
the far post put Rhyl ahead after only 6 minutes. With the home side 
continuing to threaten Marc Evans cut in from the left but his shot was 
well wide. Following this Port got their passing game going and Rhyl were 
forced to chase and close down. With 12 minutes gone a Darren Thomas corner 
was flicked on by Scott Sephton for Rhys Roberts whose shot from 12 yards 
went wide. But it was then Rhyl’s turn to attack and Richard Harvey pulled 
off a good save from Marc Evans at his near post. Port however continued 
to create the better chances and twice in a minute they could have scored. 
A Darren Thomas free kick was headed down by Graham Boylan for Ryan Davies 
whose powerful strike flew wide. Following this a good Port build up down 
the Rhyl left and Ceri James put Scott Sephton into space on the edge of the 
box but again the final shot failed to hit the target. But with 26 minutes 
gone Port got the goal which their excellent passing game deserved. A good 
build up through midfield and Ceri james split open the home defence with a 
ball inside the back for Steve Kehoe to cross superbly to the back post and 
Josh Banks scored his first goal for the club with the cleanest of headers 
at the back post.On the half hour mark Rhyl striker Steve Lewis received his 
marching orders for kicking out at an opponent. Twice Darren Thomas, for Port, 
had efforts on goal first cutting in from the right and firing wide and then 
close to the interval he had a shot blocked for a corner as he cut inside 
from the left. For Rhyl Tom Rowlands sent a dangerous free kick across the 
face of goal but the score remained at 1-1 at the interval.
Port were first on the attack in the second half forcing a corner on  the 
right. Rhys Roberts rose well to meet Darren Thomas’s corner with his header 
thudding against the underside of the bar. The referee ignored Port claims 
that the ball had indeed crossed the line as it came down from the cross bar. 
At the other end a well timed Dan Pyrs tackle halted Forbes as he bore down on 
goal. it was end to end with Boylan for Port bursting into the Rhyl box but out 
came Ramsey to save at the forward’s feet. Harvey was the next keeper in action 
saving point blank from Marc Evans having been put in by Dave Forbes. Despite 
being down to 10 men Rhyl were never going to settle for a tame draw. Rhyl 
worked a good shooting opportunity for Danny Hughes but he  screwed his effort 
wide of the post.  Josh Banks threatened Ramsey’s goal with a 20 yard shot from 
wide on the left. A quickly taken free kick on the edge of the Port box put Marc 
Evans one on one with Richard Harvey but again the keeper was equal to the task. 
With 76 minutes gone Port went ahead for the first time. Following a partially 
cleared free kick the ball was worked wide right to Steve Kehoe and for the 
second time in the game he lifted a decisive ball to the back post where this 
time Ryan Davies flung himself into diving header to beat the home keeper from 
6 yards . Always a dangerous time straight after scoring and so it proved for 
within two minutes the scores were level again. Following a throw on the Rhyl 
left the ball broke for Mark Powell 25 yards out and he struck a cracking low 
shot beyond Richard Harvey. Both sides had late efforts for winners, Darren 
Thomas for Port had a low shot well saved at his near post by Alex Ramsey and 
Richard Harvey diving to his left thwarted Joe Gambino’s added time effort.
This really was the Huws Gray match of the season so far. The final result could 
have gone either way but all in all a draw was probably fair to both sides. The 
players and the manager can be proud of a magnificent team performance of the 
highest quality, coming as it does in the third consecutive away game against 
teams who all presented difficult and serious challenges. The icing on the cake 
for travelling Port supporters was Carl Owen’s return -albeit for 5 minutes- for 
the first time for 15 months. Welcome back Carl!
Port: Richard Harvey, Ryan Davies, Josh Banks, Steve Kehoe, Dan Pyrs, Rhys Roberts, 
Leon Newell, Ceri James (Carl Owen 87)), Graham Boylan, Scott Sephton (Phil Williams 83), 
Darren Thomas. Subs unused: Gareth Parry, Campbell Harrison, Merfyn Williams.
Yellow: Graham Boylan 34.

Rhyl: Alex Ramsey, Matt Woodward, Liam Benson, Russ Courtney, Steffan Halewood, Mark 
Powell, Danny Hughes, Paul McManus, Steve Lewis, Marc Evans (Joe Gambino 73), Tom 
Rowlands (Dave Forbes 46). Subs unused: Josh Williams. Danny Jarrett, John Leah. 
Red: Steve Lewis 29. Yellow: Liam Benson 50, Mark Powell 70, Matt Woodward 79.
Referee: Steve Hughes                    Attendance: 426

Huws Gray Alliance  - Friday, 23 November 
Buckley Town ... 0	CPD Porthmadog ... 0 

The goalless scoreline does not begin to tell the story of this exciting 
encounter played in atrocious conditions with the saturated pitch breaking 
up early in the first half and by the closing stages it became very 
difficult to keep their feet as players found themselves slipping and sliding 
on the squelching ground. But both teams deserve to be congratulated as they 
produced a game full of incident. Port dominated the opening half and must 
count themselves unfortunate not to be in front going in at half time. 
The second half was a very much an end to end contest with both teams throwing 
everything into attack which made it highly surprising that the game 
ended without goals. Twice Port found the net only to have the goals 
disallowed and twice near the end Richard Harvey produced excellent 
saves to keep the scores level. 
Port were first on the attack with Darren Thomas breaking down the right 
and cutting inside only to strike into the side netting. With only five 
minutes gone Leon Newell looked a certain scorer as he fired past the 
advancing keeper Ben Jones, but his goal bound shot held up in the mud 
and just as it was about to cross the line at the far post  Joe Freeman 
managed to scoop it clear. A minute later Graham Boylan did find the net 
only for it to be ruled out for offside. Buckley did manage a few breaks 
and when Derek Taylor shot from 15 yards it took a deflection with Richard 
Harvey saving under his cross bar. When Aled Reece broke into the box it 
needed an excellent covering tackle from Dan Pyrs to keep him out. 
Similarly at the other end Joe Freeman produced a last ditch tackle to stop 
Darren Thomas as he bore down on goal. Port continued to pressure the 
home defence with the referee ignoring strong penalty appeals as keeper Ben 
Jones sent Graham Boylan tumbling in the box. Later it was Ryan Davies who 
kept the home keeper on his toes when he met a Ceri James free kick. Port, 
who had continued in the same vein as at Penrhyncoch with some excellent 
passing moves with Boylan linking up well at the front and both Darren 
Thomas and Newell breaking dangerously down the flanks, could not apply the 
final touch which their performance had deserved.  
The second half was far more end to end with both sides showing good quality 
despite the atrocious conditions and both pushed forward looking for a goal. 
Buckley were first into the attack pushing Port back. Early in this second 
period Derek Taylor broke down the right and his low shot took a deflection 
for a corner. Matty Hughes then broke past Ryan Davies down the left but 
there was no one on hand to apply a finishing touch as his excellent cross 
went across the face of goal. But Port were soon back in the game setting up 
an attack down the left and a good effort from Leon Newell went narrowly over 
the bar. Buckley were then grateful when keeper Ben Jones saved at Ryan Davies’ 
feet following a Darren Thomas corner. Scott Sephton, just past the hour mark, 
did find the net with a cracker from 18 yards but the linesman flagged that the 
ball had crossed the goal line before Darren Thomas had crossed. Josh Banks for 
Port then burst clear down the left but his shot from 16 yards was touched over 
the bar by the home keeper. Towards the end of the game the home team came 
again and Port were indebted to keeper Richard Harvey who pulled off two 
excellent saves. For the first of his two efforts Derek Taylor fastened on to a 
loose ball shooting from the edge of the box but Harvey was down well diving to 
his right. Then he almost took advantage of a defensive slip but with only the 
keeper to beat Harvey diving full stretch kept out Taylor’s point blank effort. 
The home side did also force a couple of late corners but this often thrilling 
game ended without a goal.
Point gained or two lost? Hard to say but what can be said is that this was 
another good away performance full of good creative football despite the 
conditions. Worth recalling that Buckley have also finished all square against 
both Rhyl and Cefn.
Port: Richard Harvey,  Ryan Davies, Josh Banks, Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Steve 
Kehoe (Craig Roberts 71), Leon Newell (Aaron Richmons 74), Ceri James, Graham 
Boylan, Scott Sephton, Darren Thomas. Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Merfyn 
Williams (gk). Yellow; Ceri James 39), Steve Kehoe 66, Rhys Roberts 90.
Buckley: Ben Jones, Joe Freeman. Anthony Lipton, Mark Allen, Ryan Ashley, Tom Smith, 
Derek Taylor, John Leonard (Adam Eden 39), Aled Reece, Rhys Norton (Phil Molyneux 65), 
Matty Hughes. Subs not used: Carl Lamb, Dylan Corey, Steve Lunt. 
Referee: Gwyn Vaughan (Abergele)	Attendance: 136.

Huws Gray Alliance  -Saturday, 17 November 
CPD Penrhyncoch ... 0		CPD Porthmadog ... 4
      			Scott Sephton 4
    			Graham Boylan 41, 60
    			Darren Thomas 84.
Two goals in each half gave Port a more comfortable victory than they 
could have dared to expect at a ground where many top clubs have come 
a cropper. An early goal from Scott Sephton –his first for the club- 
after only 4 minutes set the tone for the game and Port went on to give 
what was undoubtedly their best performance of the season and perhaps 
for much longer than that. There were excellent performances all round 
and the only downer, on what was a good day to be a Port supporter, was 
the straight red card shown to Graham Austin after 51 minutes. 
Port were first on the attack and after an early sighter from Scott 
Sephton they won a free kick wide on the right. Darren Thomas lifted the 
kick to the back post where Sephton rose unmarked and this time with a 
header over home keeper Jenkins found the net. Port continued to threaten 
but the home side responded with a couple of dangerous breaks and in the 
first of these Jonathan Evans cut in from the right and fired a dangerous 
shot across the face of Richard Harvey’s goal. A Mark Gornall shot followed 
from the edge of the box which drew a good save from Harvey down to his 
right. But it was Port who looked the more likely to score again and with 
21 minutes gone Leon Newell cutting in from the right was only narrowly off 
target with a low shot. A minute later a Darren Thomas thunderbolt struck 
the bar and it needed a good save from Jenkins to keep out Boylan’s follow 
up header. Another Darren Thomas shot followed but a deflection took it 
away for a corner. A good move involving Newell, Boylan and Darren Thomas 
ended with Newell unfortunately lossing control at the last minute. The 
only time the Port goal was threatened at this satge was when Josh Shaw fired 
outside the near post having been put in by Jonathan Evans. But with Ceri 
James and Steve Kehoe controlling in midfield it seemed only a matter of time 
before Port would go further ahead. With four minutes to the interval a 
bizarre incident occurred when keeper Lee Jenkins raced out of his goal only 
to be beaten to the ball by Graham Boylan wide on the Port right.  With the 
keeper stranded  the forward, from the corner of the box, cleverly chipped 
the ball into the empty net. Before the halftime whistle blew there was time 
for Leon Newell to bring a good save from Jenkins and the same player with 
the final act of the half curled a free kick inches over the bar.
The second half opened much the same as the first but after 51 minutes 
Grahame Austin was shown a red card for a tackle. For a time it looked 
as though the balance of the game might change as the home side pushed forward 
and put the Port defence under real pressure for the first time in the game. 
The nearest that Penrhyncoch came to score at this stage was from a well 
struck Mark Gornall effort which flew outside Richard Harvey’s right 
hand post. Any home revival became less likely when Port added a third goal.
This was an excellent move with Dan Pyrs starting it off before it was 
carried on by Leon Newell and Darren Thomas and Thomas’s low cross split 
open the home defence for Graham Boylan to score his second cutting inside his 
marker beating the keeper with a low shot from 12 yards. Port were now in 
full control and Richard Harvey was hardly in action for the remainder of the 
game.The home side also went down to 10 men when Llyr Hughes left the pitch 
after receiving a second yellow card. Port were now keeping possession well 
and Ceri James, back to his best, was anchoring the midfield and setting up 
moves with accurate passing. The final goal was set up by him. Winning the 
ball in midfield he broke down the right and with an angled cross field pass 
put Darren Thomas through on the left. The winger broke into the box and 
completed the scoring with a low 15 yard effort.
A clean sheet, the goal difference in the positive for the first time in a 
while and one place up to 8th makes it a good weekend for the club and for 
hard working manager Gareth Parry.
Port: Richard Harvey, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Steve Kehoe, Dan Pyrs, 
Grahame Austin, Leon Newell (Aaron Richmond 82), Ceri James, Graham Boylan 
(Craig Roberts 74), Scott Sephton, Darren Thomas (Josh Banks 88). Subs not 
used: Phil Williams, Gareth Parry. Red: Grahame Austin 51.
Penrhyn: Lee Jenkins, Kristoff Nobovsky, Eilian Evans, Aneurin Thomas, Jon 
Foligno, Gari Lewis, Jonathan Evans (Elwyn Edwards 77), Llyr Hughes, Jason 
Rees (Sion Meredith 77), Mark Gornall, Josh Shaw. Subs not used: Dylan James, 
Matthew Evans, Gavin Allen. Red: Llyr Hughes (2 yellows 36, 70).
Referee: Iwan Griffiths (Conwy).            Attendance: 85.


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us