CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Bermo / Barmouth (h) | Fflint (h) | Rhuthun (a) | Penycae (h) | Rhaeadr / Rhayader (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 9 March.
CPD Porthmadog ... 4		Rhayader ... 1
John Owen 12		Jordan Cooper 31
Graham Boylan 61, 64
Phil Williams 76

Port stretched their unbeaten run to five games but, not for the first time 
in recent weeks, they relied on a strong second half  performance to secure 
the three points. Two Graham Boylan goals in three second half minutes swung 
the game Porthmadogís way following an even but disappointing first half. 
This result increases the relegation worries for the mid-Wales club. 
Port opened strongly and could have gone ahead in the first minute when Rhys 
T Roberts saw his shot cleared off the line with visitorsí keeper Bennett 
stranded. Soon after Leon Newell glanced Josh Banksís cross across the face of 
goal but in only the 12th minute Porthmadog went ahead. A good move down the 
right had Rhys T Roberts haring towards the byline. He did well to keep the 
ball in play and his low cross set up the goal opportunity converted by John 
Owen with a shot inside the far post from 10 yards. Despite having scored the 
early goal the home side failed to build on this advantage and play became 
scrappy and though John Owen showed that he could worry the Rhayader defence, 
Port too often during the opening half resorted to the long ball as their main 
attacking ploy. This allowed Rhayader to push forwrd and a dangerous Jordan 
Cooper cross had to be cleared for a corner. The Rhayader equaliser arrived 
just after the half hour with Oakley for the visitors exploiting a high defensive 
line to place an excellent through ball into the run of Jordan Cooper. The 
forward raced on into the Porthmadog box, drew Richard Harvey and coolly slotted 
home for a well taken goal. With half time approaching a dangerous Cooper free 
kick was met by Goodman be he failed to hit the target with his header. Three 
minutes before the interval Tom Rowlands was free on the left of the Port box and 
it needed a good Richard Harvey save to keep the scores level. Before the half 
time whistle was blown there was  time for Grahame Austin to find the net with a 
clean header but the referee had spotted an infringement and the goal was 
disallowed. Having gained that early lead  it was disappointing that Port had 
failed to capitalise on it.
Straight from the beginning of the second period it was clear that there was to be 
no more route one football from Port. An early effort on goal from Phil Williams 
went straight at the keeper. When Grahame Austin lifted a ball into the box Graham 
Boylanís header landed on the roof of the net. The visitors only effort at this 
stage was one from distance from Tom Rowlands but failed to hit the target. Port 
were now stepping up a gear and the introduction of Eilir Edwards on debut only 
confirmed that the ball would now be played on the floor. The newcomer from Ruthin 
was now heavily involved in everything with his pace and close control. Following 
a good Port build up he cracked a 25 yard effort the wrong side of the post and he 
followed this up with a cross which saw Graham Boylanís header deflected for a 
corner. Bang on the hour mark Paul Lewis let fly from 25 yards but keeper Bennett 
pushed it over the bar. A goal had to come and though Port had put several good 
moves together, it came in a goalmouth scramble following Leon Newellís corner with 
Graham Boylan applying the final touch. This was Graham Boylanís 10th goal of the 
season and he did not have to wait long before scoring his eleventh. This goal was 
a reflection of Portís second half improvement. A quality exchange of passes 
between Eilir Edwards and Graham Boylan opened up the Rhayader defence and the 
little winger put Graham Boylan in behind the defence and the striker found the 
corner of the with a low shot cutting inside from his favourite inside left channel. 
With Port very much in charge it was no surprise when a fourth goal came in the 76th 
minute. John Owen capped another excellent performance with a superb turn on the 
edge of the Rhayader area and slipped a perfect ball for the industrious Phil 
Williams to find the net from 10 yards. Rhayader to their credit did not wilt and 
could have had a second goal when Dale Evans thumped one from distance rocking the 
cross bar. 
Port entertain Penrhyncoch on Tuesday evening, looking to extend their good run and 
end their home fixtures for the season on a winning note.
Port: Richard Harvey, Scott Sephton, Josh Banks, Phil Williams, Rhys Roberts, Grahame 
Austin, Rhys T Roberts (Eilir Edwards 56), Paul Lewis, Graham Boylan 
(Aaron Roberts-Evans 77), Leon Newell (Gruff Williams 65), John Owen. Unused subs: 
Carl Owen, Gareth Parry. 
Rhayader:  Nathan Bennett, Gethin Jones, Nefyn Savage, Gareth Hughes, Dale Evans, 
Adam Oakley (Joe Woolencraft 78) , Dan Goodman, Matt Lewis (Rhys Thomas 78), 
Tom Rowlands, Mike Collister, Jordan Cooper.
Referee: Gareth Wyn Jones (Bontnewydd)                Attendance: 103.

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 2 March.
CPD Porthmadog ... 3        Penycae ... 2
Phil Williams 27                Ian Oliver Davies 13, 31
John Owen 60                    
Gareth Parry 86
It was a case of Ruthin rewind for manager Gareth Parry as he 
came off the bench to score what again proved to be the match 
winning goal. And it was a goal of the very highest quality 
worthy of winning any game. In a lively entertaining game  the 
visitors deservedly held the upper hand  going in ahead at the 
interval. In the second period Port were in control scoring two 
good goals and creating, then spurning, several other good 
scoring opportunities while Penycae failed to repeat their first 
half form and struggled to create any worthwhile opportunities. 
It was however refreshing to see a visiting team coming to attack 
and search for all three points rather than park the bus and 
hold on for a point.  
Port could have enjoyed the best of all starts as Paul Lewis, on 
his HGA debut, took only 2 minutes to make his mark on the game, 
putting Rhys T Roberts in with a defence splitting angled ball. 
But with a goal looking certain the former Llanrug forward 
disappointingly saw his shot drift narrowly wide of the near post. 
But the near miss seemed to lift the visitors, showing pace and 
good passing skills as they turned defence into attack. With only 
five minutes on the clock a good ball found Andrews in space in 
the box but poor control cost him a good goal chance. But in 13th 
minute Penycae’s leading goal threat, Ian Oliver Davies, opened 
the scoring. An excellent ball was played in from the right 
finding the forward in space in the box, he controlled well and 
scored from 8 yards. Suddenly the visitors were in control and 
could have gone further ahead when Andrews met a good 
Tinsley cross to the back post but failed to hit the target. Only 
a minute later and this time Andrews was bursting through the heart 
of the Port defence lifting a 20 yard shot dangerously over the bar. 
Port were by now fully aware that they had a battle on their hands 
and gradually they steadied the ship and started pinning Penycae 
back. John Owen broke well on the right but fired wide and a Leon 
Newell header and a Scott Sephton effort were also off target. But 
before the half hour mark the home side drew level. Leon Newell 
broke down the right and his long cross found Phil Williams cutting 
in from the left. Aiming a shot at the near post and though keeper 
Colcough got a hand to it he failed to keep it out. The scores 
remained level for only 4 minutes and as the ball bounced free when 
Ian Oliver Davies rose to challenge keeper Richard Harvey in the 6 
yard box, the striker took advantage to tap in from close range. 
Though Leon Newell curled a free kick narrowly wide and Scott 
Sephton met a Paul Lewis free kick, the visitors were good value for 
their 2-1 interval lead. 
After a slow start to the second half Port gradually began to dominate 
proceedings. A shot cum cross from Leon Newell was narrowly wide of the 
angle and a shot by the same plater required a second bite from Colclough 
before completing his save. Then on the hour Port deservedly drew level 
and it was dangerman John Owen who netted. Having been increasingly 
threatening down the left and combining well with Josh Banks, who was 
pushing more and more from the back, Owen raced on to an excellent 
through ball from Phil Williams he beat his marker and fired a fine 
angled shot across the keeper into the far corner of the net. Port were 
now in charge and building up a fine head of steam.  For a second 
time in minutes Phil Williams was again the main man, opening up the 
Penycae defence with a perfect pass for John Owen whose low cut back 
took the ball  to Phil Williams again, but the shot was blocked and to 
deny Phil a well deserved goal. Port were now dominating and the 
appearance of Gareth Parry from the bench only increased pressure on the 
Penycae defence. Another John Owen cross was only partailly cleared it 
came to Gareth Parry whose shot was only narrowly over the 
bar. The Parry/Owen double act were at it again and John Owen saw his shot 
fizz across the face of goal. With four minutes remaining the winner came. 
Following good work by Leon Newell down the right Graham Boylan found his 
manager in the box and Gareth Parry controlled well, made room for himself 
and finished with as good a shot as you are likely to see. There was still 
time for Leon Newell to break free behind the stretched Penycae defence 
and with John Owen on hand to finish if needed, somehow the chance was 
wasted. Referee John Walker who officiated quietly and efficiently turned 
down strong appeals for a penalty as Rhys T Roberts tumbled in the box. 
The only moment of concern for Port during the second half was when 
McDonnell screwed a shot narrowly wide but the referee had already blown 
for offside. A sliced effort in injury time by Howarth, following a good 
far post cross by Tinsley, was the only other Penycae effort of note in the 
second half. But the visitors will surely feel disappointed having held out 
under heavy pressure until 4 minutes from time before yielding the third 
and winning goal.
Three important points for Port go a long way towards removing any relegation 
fears. With Penycae occupying the third relegation place, today’s six pointer 
now means that 11 points now separate them from 9th placed Port. Even with 
three games in hand, making up that ground appears a very tall order.
Port: Richard Harvey, Scott Sephton, Josh Banks, Phil Williams 
(Gareth Parry 65),  Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Rhys T Roberts (Carl Owen 90), 
Paul Lewis, Graham Boylan, Leon Newell, John Owen. 
Subs not used: Aaron Roberts-Evans, Mike Foster. 
Penycae: Martin Colclough, Nick Jones (Gary McDonnell 75), Shaun Tinsley, 
Tim Manuel, Paul Griffiths, Ben Howarth, Jimmy Jones (Cian Phillips 58), Paul 
Ian Andrews, Ian Oliver Davies Niam Arsan (Asa Hamilton 68). 
Sub not used; Sam Marrs. Yellow: Asa Hamilton 92.
Referee: James Walker (Flint)                            Attendance: 124

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 23 February.
Ruthin Town .... 0            CPD Porthmadog .... 1
                                        Gareth Parry 69
Making a rare substitute appearance manager Gareth Parry showed his 
players how it is done, scoring the only goal of the game to give 
his team all three points. This was Gareth’s first goal for the club 
since the 14 November 2009 when he volleyed a cracker in a 2-0 WPL 
win over Prestatyn. Previously, despite  the territorial advantage 
they enjoyed, they had only occasionally tested home keeper Mackin.
They failed however to recreate the pace and urgency of their second 
half performance of last week. 

The three points are however reward enough at this stage of the 
season as Port try to ensure safety. But it must be said that this 
was a poor ,scrappy game with the flashes of skill and constructive 
team play all too rare. The worrying factor for Port is that they 
have picked up more injuries to key players with Ceri James limping 
off with a hamstring problem and John Owen, who always looked the most 
likely to open up the home defence, making his his way to the touchline 
a with a calf injury.  
Port opened brightly and were first on the attack. After only three 
minutes a good build up gave Leon Newell a sight of goal but his shot 
from 16 yards drifted wide of the post. A couple of free kicks in 
dangerous positions also failed to produce anything. With Port failing 
to convert pressure into goal opportunities play became increasingly 
bogged down in midfield with little to entertain the small crowd. 
Gradually Ruthin gained something of a foothold in the game and near 
the half hour mark Tom Sharples, their most dangerous player, found 
space for himself on the edge of the Port box but his shot, though well 
struck, went across goal and wide. Port responded through Josh Banks who 
broke down the left and Graham Boylan met the cross, but his header went 
straight at Mackin. Soon after, John Owen came closest to opening the 
scoring when his angled shot was well saved at his near post by Mackin, 
at the expense of a corner. There was little else to report in a dismal 
first half which did little to take spectators minds off the low 
temperature. The half ended goalless.
Port were first out of the blocks in the second period and John Owen 
sent a shot across the face of goal and wide. Soon after it was another 
tricky Owen run down the left which tested the home defence but again his 
shot was wide of the mark. Ruthin did respond with McCarter striking from 
distance but without hitting the target and soon after Richard Harvey made 
his first real save of the game going down well to gather Tom Sharples’ 
low shot after the forward broke into the box on the right. Gareth Parry 
replaced Ceri James and his presence soon made a difference with more 
constructive play suddenly on offer. A 65th minute lob from the edge of the 
box had keeper Mackin scrambling back goalwards to tip the ball over the bar 
and then came the goal which settled the game. Port were now showing more 
urgency and in the 69th minute John Owen once again outwitted the home 
defence down the left and lifted his cross right into the heart of the 
Ruthin goalmouth where Gareth Parry got his head to the ball in the crowded 
box to net from close range. Port were now threatening to increase their 
lead with John Owen and Josh Banks combining well down the left for Banks to 
fire goalwards, but over the bar. With 10 minutes left John Owen threatened 
again cutting into the box from the left and unleashing a powerful shot which 
Mackin saved acrobatically. This was Owen’s last action as he worryingly 
limped off the pitch. Ruthin did apply some late pressure, lofting high balls 
into the box but Port held out for an important three points, which sends the 
home side back to the bottom of the table with Port completing a season’s 
double of 1-0 wins over their opponents. Adding to Port’s injury problems was 
the sight of Josh Banks limping through most of the second period.
Port: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Gareth Parry 57), 
Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Rhys T Roberts (Carl Owen 90), Scott Sephton, John Owen 
(Aaron Roberts-Evans 80), Leon Newell, Graham Boylan. Sub not used: Campbell 
Harrison. Yellow: Rhys Roberts 32.
Ruthin: Louis Mackin, Jamie Price, Iwan Davies, Huw Price, Jack Jones, Chris 
Williams, Matthew Davies (Josh Davies 82), Ilan Hughes, Jordan McCarter, Tom 
Sharples, Jason Wood. Subs: Sion Tudor Jones, Llyr Morris.
Referee: Phil Roszowski (Wrexham)                Attendance:  46.

Huws Gray Alliance    -16 February
CPD Porthmadog ... 3        Flint Town United ... 3
John Owen 47, 53               Shaun Beck 6
Graham Boylan 71              Aaron Edwards 13
                                            John Hill 68
Flint were well in control during the first half of this encounter, 
especially in the early stages when they built up a deserved two goal 
lead and threatened to run away with the game. But Port struck back 
in a tense  end to end second, half full of blood and thunder, and 
never short of excitement. The Port second half recovery saw them wipe 
out the two goal advantage, lose it again as Flint got their noses back 
in front, and then recovered again to peg the visitors back again for a 
final 3-3 result. But there could have been more goals as both defences 
were put to the sword with both teams fully committed to collect the 
three points.
The visitors were straight into the attack showing pace and agression as 
they looked for an early lead. And they did not have to wait too long to 
get their noses in front. Matty Harvey was a threat down the right and in 
the sixth minute the home defence failed to deal with his cross allowing 
Shaun Beck space to fire low into past Richard Harvey from 16 yards. The 
early goal was the encouragement  the Deesiders needed and they pushed 
forward strongly closing down quickly and hardly allowing Port out of their 
own half in these early stages. It was not surprising when after only 13 
minutes the visitors doubled their lead. A ball was pushed forward from 
midfield allowing Aaron Edwards to break goalwards and from 20 yards, the 
forward unleashed a cracker of a shot which rattled the crossbar, but Edwards 
reacted quickly to reach the rebound first and steer his shot wide of Richard 
Harvey. The Traeth faithful were checking their watches in fear and 
trepidation of what was to come.  Another Harvey cross for Flint allowed Hill 
a header on goal but straight at Richard Harvey.  Gradually however Port 
started to stop the rot and gain a foothold in the game . Just before  20 
minute had elapsed Mike Jones in the Flint goal saw his first action saving a 
Dan Pyrs effort from the edge of the box. A few minutes later the home side 
should have cut the deficit when three players in quick succession had close 
range efforts on goal blocked with Phil Williams finally scooping his shot over 
the bar from close in. Flint were not out of the game for long however and 
Richard Harvey got his finger tips to Ryan Davies 30 yard free kick and touched 
it over the bar. But it was no longer one way traffic and a quick Port break 
and Phil Williams angled ball allowed Rhys T Roberts to cut in on goal from the 
right but a fine Mike Jones save denied the former Llanrug player his first HGA 
goal. The game was now beginning to produce more of the end to end play that was 
to raise the temperature in the second half. Twice just after the half hour mark 
Flint could have increased their lead. Shaun Beck raced on to a ball from the 
back getting in behind the Port defence only to see his shot cross the face of 
goal and wide. A minute later Paul Williams cut in from the left forcing Richard 
Harvey to save well at his near post. Port responded with a well placed angled 
ball from Rhys T Roberts which found Graham Boylan in space on the left of the 
box but the forward lifted his shot over the bar. Just before the interval John 
Owen gave notice of what was to come when he tested Mike Jones with a snap shot 
from 16 yards. Half time arrived with Flint retaining their two goal lead.

Though Port had threatened to get themselves back into the game in the latter 
part of the first half nothing could have prepared us for the opening action of 
the second period. A minute into the half following tenacious play by Rhys T 
Roberts, Ceri james lifted a free kick towards Graham Boylan racing in at the back 
post, and  Mike Jones needed a top quality save to keep out the rocket header. 
Steve Kehoe’s corner, which followed, was met by skipper Rhys Roberts and his 
header into the 6 yard box was met by John Owen who found the net from close range 
for his first goal in a Port shirt. It was just the lifeline needed and Port pushed 
forward in search of an equaliser. Six  minutes later Phil Williams, that arch chaser 
of lost causes, chased down a cross field ball stopping it just inside the byline 
and his well placed low cross was met by John Owen haring in at the back post, for 
his second of the afternoon. With the scent of an unlikely win in their nostrils, 
Port’s charge continued and John Owen, looking for his hat trick, lifted a 20 yard 
effort inches over the bar. With still only 10 second half minutes on the clock 
Graham Boylan found the net at the back post only to have it disallowed for offside 
in what must have been a marginal decision. Following this period of sustained 
pressure Flint did win a free kick on the right which Richard Harvey was forced to 
punch clear but only as far as Aaron Edwards whose shot from 18 yards was touched 
over by Harvey. It was now end to end and Mike Jones turned Boylan’s shot past the 
post as the forward raced on to John Owen’s flicked header. But with 68 minutes 
gone Flint regained the lead as defensive hesitation allowed John Hill space to score 
from 12 yards. This restored lead lasted for just three minutes as Port did not allow 
their heads to drop and the outstanding Rhys T Roberts played in Graham Boylan to score 
from 8 yards and this time there was no referee’s whistle to spoil his celebrations. 
The game continued end to end and either side could have gained all three points. But 
in a game where no quarter was asked or given it was disappointing that referee Fawkes 
had to show Steve Kehoe, who had played such a rousing part in the fight back, a red 
card close to the end.
Port: Richard Harvey, Steve Kehoe, Josh Banks (Mike Foster 86), Dan Pyrs, Rhys Roberts, 
Phil Williams, Rhys T Roberts (Aaron Roberts-Evans 86), Ceri James, Graham Boylan (Carl 
Owen 86),  Gruff J Williams, John Owen. Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Merfyn Williams(gk) 
Red: Steve Kehoe. Yellow: Josh Banks 25, Rhys T Roberts 73.
Flint: Mike Jones, Matty Harvey, Ryan Davies, Jiohn Hill, John Davies, Nathan Peate, Shaun 
Williams, Paul Williams (Ryan Hedges 76), Aaron Edwards, Shaun Beck (Phil Lloyd 70), Sam 
Jones. Subs not used: Jon Rush, Mitch Roberts, Stewart Carroll. Yellow: Matty Harvey 52.
Referee: Dave Fawkes.                            Attendance: 156. 

Friendly	-Saturday, 09 February
CPD Porthmadog ... 2   	Barmouth & Dyffryn ... 0. 
Rhys T Roberts 61
Aaron Roberts-Evans 72

A goalless first half in this hastily arranged frriendly belied the Porthmadog 
domination, with the Porthmadog attackers wasteful in front of goal. The 
breakthrough came 16 minutes into the second period when substitute Aaron 
Roberts-Evans got to the left byline and picked out Rhys T Roberts with his low 
cross and the striker coolly slotted home from 6 yards. 11 minutes later newcomer 
Evans-Roberts added a second when an attempted clearance by a Barmouth defender 
was charged down by him and he raced into the box and slotted home from 15 yards 
for a cool finish. Barmouth rarely threatened after that although their best 
player Paul Lewis tested the Port defence with purposeful running. 

Port. Richard Harvey, Steve Kehoe, Josh Banks, Dan Pyrs, Rhys Roberts, Ceri James 
(Gareth Parry), Phil Williams, Rhys T Roberts, John Owen, Graham Boylan, Gruff J 
Williams (Aaron Roberts-Evans).  

Gerallt Owen


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us