CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Gaerwen (a) | Llanfairpwll (h) | Gwalchmai (h) | Llanrug (a) | Treffynnon/Holywell (a) | Rhyl (a) | Bermo/Barmouth (a) | Aberystwyth (h) |

Friendly        -Saturday, 10 August
CPD Porthmadog ... 2        Aberystwyth Town ... 3
Carl Owen 14                    Rhydian Davies 30, 87
Dan Bell 44                       Chris Venables 39
It is a temptation to say that the highlight of today’s game was the 
wonderful support given by the Pathfinders. They were at the Traeth today 
from their annual camp at Cricieth. And yes it was a highlight and a 
perfect example of how to enjoy yourself without the slightest glimmer of 
unruliness. Well done and thanks. There were however many other highlights 
in a game played on a superb looking surface –thanks Phil. It was an 
enjoyable game to watch, with the ball being passed around well by both 
teams as they tried to work their openings. All in all despite going down 
to a late goal Port will probably feel the more satisfied of the two teams 
with their overall performance, especially bearing in mind that, apart from 
the absence of Geoff Kellaway, this was probably Aberystwyth’s strongest 
WPL team. 
Aberystwyth were first on the attack but Port soon settled into their passing 
game and Carl Owen and Leon Newell had early efforts on goal while at the 
other end keeper Gareth Barker pulled off a good save to keep out an Aber free 
kick. The visitors under pressure, when Rhys Roberts headed a free kick into 
the goal area, had to scramble the ball off the line. Before the 15 minute 
mark the home side deservedly went ahead when Carl Owen raced on to a 
perfectly weighted through ball to score from 15 yards. They could have 
extended their lead ten minutes later when Leon Newell met a super Paul Lewis 
cross at the back post only to loop his header over the bar. Just past the half 
hour mark Aber drew level when, following a set piece, a high ball played into 
the box was touched into the net from close range by Rhydian Davies.Craig 
Williams then struck the bar for Aber with an angled shot. Ten minutes later the 
visitors took the lead when Chris Venables scored with a well placed free kick 
from 20 yards. Two minutes before the interval Port deservedly 
equalised with Dan Bell striking a magnificent free kick from a central position 
all of 40 yards out, dipping under the bar just inside the upright. All square 
at the interval.
Both sides introduced several subs in the second half but Port continued to 
control the game in the middle of the park with outstanding perfomances from 
Rob Evans, Dan Bell and Paul Lewis and second half sub Craig Papirnyk 
contributing with his close control and probing passes. Along the left Josh 
Banks was always looking to break forward. One brilliant run by Rob Evans ended 
with the visitors’ keeper scrambling the ball away at the near post. Aberystwyth 
were always a danger on the break and came close on several occasions and 
eventually one of these breaks resulted in a corner which was drilled back into 
the box and again Rhydian Davies managed to apply a close range finish.
Port can take much confidence from this game as they get the season proper started 
next Saturday at home to Rhydymwyn.
Port Squad: Gareth Barker, Ceiron Hall: Ryan Connolly, Dylan Jones, Rhys Roberts, 
Josh Banks, Ben Vangucci: Ceri James, Rob Evans, Dan Bell, Paul Lewis, Leon Newell : 
Carl Owen, Rhys T Roberts, Craig Papirnyk. 

Friendly    -Saturday, 3 August
Barmouth and Dyffryn F.C. ... 0        CPD Porthmadog ... 1
                                                          Rob Evans 39
On a day when the home club celebrated 150 years of football in the 
town with a pre-match parade of young players, it was the visitors who 
gained the victory by a single goal scored just before half time. Rob 
Evans fired a 25 yard cracker into the corner of the net for the only 
goal of the game. 
Port started well keeping possession and building from the back on a 
good looking Wern Mynach surface but, as proved to be the case throughout 
the game, they failed to produce a final ball into the box which could 
really hurt the home side. Port dominated possession and keepers Gareth 
Barker (first half) and Ceiron Roberts (second half) were rarely put under 
any serious pressure. 
The inclusion of former Barmouth players Craig Papyrnik and Paul Lewis in 
the Port team added extra spice to the occasion. In the 27th minute the 
home keeper responded smartly to touch a good looking Paul Lewis header 
over the bar.  We had to wait until the 39th minute of the game for the 
only goal of the game. Robert Evans, prominent in centre midfield, had 
tried a couple of sighters previously and when he once more found space 
25 yards out, he let fly with an excellent strike just inside the home 
keeper’s right hand post. Both sides continued to play constructive 
football with Port enjoying the territorial advantage but without creating 
many clear cut chances.
Both sides introduced subs for the second period and as in the opening 
half Port controlled the possession and should have been able to add to 
their single goal. Barmouth did threaten occasionally and did get the ball 
into the net only to have it ruled out for offside and they came close again 
when a high cross to the back post was struck into the side netting.  Port 
should have increased their lead on the hour mark when a well worked move 
along the left provided Rhys T Roberts with a shooting chance but his shot 
went narrowly over the bar. 
There was plenty to admire in Port’s play with Josh Banks always looking 
dangerous going forward and on the occasions when Barmouth threatened, Tom 
Taylor was cool under pressure and looking to build constructively. One more 
friendly remains at home to Aberystwyth Town and should provide a good test 
before the season proper starts.
Port Squad: Gareth Barker, Ceiron Jones:  Gruff Williams, Tom Taylor, Rhys 
Roberts, Josh Banks,Ceri James, Rob Evans, Paul Lewis Leon Newell, Craig 
Papyrnik,Eilir Edwards, Mark Bridge, Ryan Connolly, Carl Owen, Rhys T Roberts.

Rhyl FC .. 0     CPD Porthmadog ... 1

                      Carl Owen 3

Port ran out winners at the Belle Vue by the only goal of the game, a 
goal which came just three minutes into this pre-season fixture.  Carl 
Owen pounced to take advantage of a defensive mix-up to find the net 
from close range.

The Port attack put the Rhyl back four under pressure from the off and 
were well supported by a busy midfield who closed down quickly and made 
life difficult for last season’s HGA champions.  

The home team’s frustration became apparent when both Steve Lewis and 
Liam Benson were asked by the referee to leave the field to be replaced 
by subs. The Rhyl website reports “Lewis upended a defender after the ball, 
the third of a series of rash tackles, and Benson apparently made a remark 
to an opposing player.”

Carl Owen was unlucky not to net a second when his shot went narrowly over 
the bar with home keeper Ramsey helpless. 

Though the home side’s performance picked up after the interval, Port 
remained in control to keep their first clean sheet during pre-season. The 
Rhyl website adds that manager Greg Strong was left looking somewhat 
agitated on the sidelines.

There has been a marked difference between midweek and Saturday performances 
when Gareth Parry has been able to choose from stronger squads. Let’s hope 
now for a good turnout in the two remaining pre season fixtures against 
Barmouth and Aberystwyth.

Holywell Town ... 3	CPD Porthmadog ... 0

With so many potential commitments on Saturdays (weddings, christenings,
holidays, work etc) it mkaes me wonder whether we'd be better leaving
Saturdays free during pre-season and playing on friday nights. We have
struggled to get a strong squad for each of our Saturday games to date.

On a difficult pitch (long grass due to the weather - not wanting to cut it
short incase it burnt), (the same for both sides!!) Port started the
brighter and during the first 20 minutes played some very attractive
football. Ryan Connolly, Rob Evans and Daniel Bell showing up well in centre
midfield and dictating the play. Mark Bridge created two good scoring
chances but the keepr did well to thwart him both times. Daniel Bell and
Leon Newell also had good chances to open the scoring but it wasnt to be.
Holywell then began to settle into the game and through Sam Jones, Steve
Thomas and the little lad Tyson were looking dangerous, but it was nothing
the Port defence couldn't cope with, with Rhys Roberts and an impressive Ben
Vangucci well supported by Josh Banks and Gruffydd John.

On the 30 minute mark, the dangerous Thomas broke into the box and saw his
shot rebound off the post and into the path of former Port striker Graham
Boylan to tap home and open the scoring for the Wellmen. Barely a minute had
passed before they were 2-0 up, Sam Jones capitalising on some hesitant
defending to fire home from inside the box.

Tyler French replaced Gareth Barker (who had shown up well in the first
half) in goal for the only change to the second half. Having not played
since December, Ben V'gucci struggled on with a knock to is ankle. Port
again played some good football at times during the second half and created
numerous goalscoring chances, with Rob Evans twice, Mark Bridge, Leon
Newell, Rhys Roberts and Daniel Bell all going close to reducing the
deficit. This though didn't stop Holywell from creating a hatful of chances
themselves in an end-to-end half and got their rewards when no.4 finshed off
a fine move with a few minutes left on the clock.

We were extremely disapointed with the result, but it was a good work-out
for the lads and another 90-minutes under the belt. Some positives from our
play and encouraging performances from some of the newcomers. Though we
didn't have our strongest squad available for the game, and finshed the game
with 10 men due to an injury to Mark Bridge and Ceirion having to come on as
a right winger (following an injury to Dan McCormick - and he got stuck in!),
nothing should be taken away from Holywell who have got a very strong squad,
playing some excellent football, and with the likes of Sam Jones, Steve
Thomas and Tyson in their squad, it will take some team to stop them being
crowned champions of the Welsh Alliance at the end of the season.

Team: GK - Gareth Barker (trialist) - Tyler French 2nd Half (GB on last 15 mins 
Tyler injured and Ceirion J had to be used outfield !!)
Defence - Gruff Williams, Ben Vangucci (friend of Rob's from Dolgellau who 
recently completed scholarship in America), Rhys Roberts, Josh Banks.
Midfield - Rob Evans, Dan Bell, Ryan Connolly, 
Strikers - Dan McCormick (young player from Trawsfynydd), Leon Newell, Mark 
Bridge.Subs: Tyler French, Ceirion Jones

Llanrug Utd ... 2			CPD Porthmadog ... 6
David N. Williams (pen)'23	                     Rhys Roberts '12
Jamie Whitmore '61			Leon Newell '47
				Ceri James (pen) '75
				Leon Newell '76
				Rhys T. Roberts '79
				Gruff J. Williams '90
This was another good run out for Port, and despite the emphatic
final score line they had to fight for the win.

Port started well and enjoyed much of the early pressure, and only 
had to wait until the 12th minute, before Rhys Roberts headed 
home the first from a Gruffudd John cross. However, as the half
drew on, Llanrug started to come more into the game and made
good use of the advantage of the slope. Half way through the half
Llanrug drew level from the spot through David Noell Williams, 
after a foul by Rhys Roberts. Port had a few more chances before
the interval through Rhys T and Carl Owen, but nothing to really
trouble the Llanrug keeper.

From the re-start Port looked very dangerous down the slope, and
were rewarded almost instantly when Leon Newell capitalised on
Llanrug's failiure to clear a Gruffudd John corner. Port continued 
to press, but couldn't add to their lead. And then, on the hour 
mark, Llanrug drew level through Jamie Whitmore, after the attempted
clearence by Port keeper Tylor French got deflected into his path.

It was in the last 15 minutes that the floodgates opened, with Leon
Newell scoring his second on 75 mins with a cool chip over the 
keeper after picking up a through ball. Ceri James then netted from
the spot after Dan Bell was pushed down in the box. Rhys T Roberts
then made it 5-2 against his former club, firing home after the 
keeper could only parry Josh Banks' shot. Another Llanrug old boy, 
Gruff John Williams completed the scoring in the last minute after
some good pressure by Tom Taylor.

A comfortable win in the end, but a good test for Port as the 
preperations for the season continue.

Port: Ceirion Jones (Tylor French), Rhys Roberts, Gareth Parry (Tom Taylor), 
Gruff J. Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Dan Bell, Rob Evans, 
Leon Newell (Ryan Connolly), Carl Owen (Leon Newell), Rhys T. Roberts.

Pre-season Friendly -Saturday, 20 July.

CPD Porthmadog ... 2            CPD Gwalchmai ... 2
Dan Bell 51
Mark Bridge 72

Porthmadog never looked likely to repeat the high scoring of their 
previous two friendlies as they came up against a resolute Gwalchmai 
defence. Though Port held a huge advantage in both territory and 
possession they were only rarely able to break down the visitors 
defence and there was a dearth of shots on target as the final pass 
into the box was too often delayed or missing.

Port opened brightly and forced Gwalchmai back for long periods and 
there were some good breaks along both flanks but few shooting chances 
were created. Gwalchmai though penned back were always ready to take 
advantage of any misdirected passes in midfield and on one break could 
have snatched the lead. We had to wait until the 51st minute for the 
game’s opening goal when Dan Bell stole in at the back post to meet 
Leon Newell’s cross.  Bell deserved to get on the scoresheet for all his 
running and clever prompting in midfield. The lead howver lasted for 
only a few minutes before keeper Ian Aikman gave away a penalty and 
though he got two hands to the spot kick he didn’t manage to keep it out. 

The game was played in three periods of 30 minutes and a minute into the 
final period the visitors went ahead. Gwalchmai capitalised on a 
misdirected pass at the back which allowed them to set up the move and 
finish clinically  from just inside the penalty area. This sparked Port 
into a series of attacks with Ceri james switching from centre back to 
midfield and becoming inceasingly influential.  With 72 minutes gone he 
broke down the right and lifted a perfect cross to the far post for Mark 
Bridge to race on to and level the scores. Soon after there was almost a 
repeat with the same players involved but this time the shot was struck 
into the side netting. Scores at the end remained level at 2-2.

Port Squad Ian Aikman, Ceiron, Phil Williams, Ceri James, Gareth Parry, 
Josh Banks, Ryan Connolly, Gruff Williams, Dan Bell, Mark Bridge, Carl 
Owen, Rhys T Roberts, Aaron Roberts Evans, Leon Newell. 

Pre-season Friendly -Tuesday, 16 July.

CPD Porthmadog ... 14            CPD Llanfairpwll ... 1

In a game played in three periods of 30 minutes though Port piled 
on the goals, too much should not be made of the scoreline. Both teams 
used a large number of squad players and trialists. But Port played 
some attractive creative football with plenty of good strikes on goal 
and despite numerous changes they stuck to their pattern of play.

Carl Owen set the ball rolling with a fine curling free kick from the 
edge of the box. Two minutes later and Llanfairpwll capitalised on a 
defensive blunder to draw level. For the remainder of the 30 minute 
period Port netted at regular intervals with Ryan Connolly, Rhys 
Roberts, Gruff Williams (2) and Dan Bell on the scoresheet to make it 
6-1 at the first break.

In the second period Carl Owen scored his second and Craig Papyrnik 
added a couple more, one a fine angled shot. This made it 9-1 at the 
end of the second period.

In the third period Gruff Williams completed his hat trick and later 
went on to rifle in a fourth. There was also a second from Ryan Connolly  
as well as two more from trialists.

As they say it is always better to win these games –just as long as we 
remember that it is only a pre-season friendly! 

Players on view included: Ian Aikman, Phil Williams, Josh Banks, Gruff 
Williams, Dan Pyrs, Rhys Roberts, Ryan Connolly, Mark Bridge, Carl Owen, 
Dan Bell, Craig Papyrnik, Ceri James, Rhys T Roberts, Eilir Edwards,Aaron 
Roberts Evans.

Pre-season friendly - Saturday 13 July

Gaerwen ... 1 		Porthmadog ... 6
				Mark Bridge 36
				Mark Bridge 41
				Gareth Parry 48
				Mark Bridge 54
				Mark Bridge 57
				Rob Evans 63

Four second half goals by Mark Bridge helped give Port a comfortable 
6-1 win in a 70 minute match played in a sweltering heat. The 11 
players starting for Port were a mixture of regulars from last 
season and trialists, and all played for the full 70 minutes.

Port had the lion’s share of possession in the first half and 
had plenty of attacks through Mark Bridge, Dan Bell, Rob Evans, Craig 
Papirnyk and Eilir Edwards yet hardly troubled the Gaerwen keeper. 
Gareth Parry, playing in the unusual role of central defender, Rhys 
Roberts and Ceirion in goal had very little to do defensively 
throughout the match.    

The second half was a very different affair with Mark Bridge opening 
the scoring in the very first minute, and netted a further three as
he combined well will Craig Papirnyk. Manager Gareth Parry was also
on the score sheet - pouncing after the keeper could only parry a 
Rhys Roberts header. The scoring was completed by Rob Evans with a 
screamer from 20 yards.

A good run out to get the ball rolling.

Port: Ceirion Jones, Gareth Parry, Rhys Roberts, Gruff J Williams,
Ceri James, Phil Williams, Rob Evans, Eilir Edwards, Dan Bell,
Craig Papirnyk, Mark Bridge.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us