CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Rhydymwyn (a) | Sully Sports [WC] (h) | Guilsfield (h) | Flint (a) | Caergybi / Holyhead (h) | Caersws (h) |
| Caernarfon (a) |

Huws Gray Alliance        -Friday, 17 January
Caernarfon Town ... 3        CPD Porthmadog ... 0
Grahame Austin 25
Clive Williams 66
Lewis Codling 69
Two goals in a three minute spell midway through the second half more or less settled a game which had been a tense battle between two well matched sides. Though Port probably created more and better chances it was Caernarfon’s opportunism and ability to make the most of their chances which triumphed on the night. An exciting and enjoyable game was however marred by what appeared to be a serious injury to Port keeper Gareth Barker who went down in a goalmouth tussle and the game was held up for some time while Gareth was treated by paramedics for a neck injury before being taken away by ambulance..

Port opened well and took the game to their opponents with a series of good passing movements with John Owen, Gareth Jones Evans and Neil Thomas putting the home defence under severe pressure. In the 5th minute Gareth Jones Evans put John Owen in on the left of the box but Paul Pritchard was down to save well. A shooting chance then fell to Gareth Jones Evans and it needed a good defensive block to keep it out. Port forced a corner on the right and when it fell to Gareth Jones Evans again he lifted a shot over the bar. There were further efforts with Jones Evans latching on to a Craig Papirnyk free kick and firing low from 16 yards but again Paul Pritchard was down to save. Two minutes on and the same player forced Pritchard into an even better save with a well struck 20 yard effort. Pritchard was in the thick of the action and when Neil Thomas cut in from the right the keeper pulled off yet another good save. For 20 minutes Port controlled the play and Caernarfon were forced to hold on and during this period their only effort was a shot over the bar from debutant Lewis Codling. But with 25 minutes gone Port were punished for not making the most of all their good approach play and pressure. The home side broke out and forced a corner down the right. Dion Donohue lifted a good ball into the box and former Port defender Grahame Austin rose well and his clean header put Caernarfon ahead against the run of play with waht was virtually their first real threat of the game. The goal lifted the home team and it was now their turn to apply the pressure. The home side made good use of set pieces and on the half hour another Donohue corner was this time met by Jordan Barrow whose header struck the bar and bounced over. A 20 yard effort from Codling then flashed across the face of the Port goal and a cross field ball found Steve Kehoe at the back post but he fired wide. Then with half-time approaching Gareth Barker suffered a serious looking injury and with treatment on-going referee Gareth Jones took the decision to blow the half-time whistle 3 minutes early with the home side remaining 1-0 ahead.

The second half started with Port calling on Richard Harvey to make his first appearnce for nine months in goal. The visitors were looking for an early equaliser and a curling effort from Craig Papirnyk went narrowly wide. Soon after John Owen found Neil Thomas in the box but under pressure Thomas’s shot lacked power and though well directed enabled Pritchard to complete a save at full stretch. Leon Newell, who had replaced Gareth Jones Evans, was soon in the action finding Neil Thomas in the box but though he turned hia markers well the captain’s shot went close but failed to hit the target. Two minutes later and another excellent chance fell to Eilir Edwards who was put through on goal by an excellent John Owen ball but again Paul Pritchard denied Port with a save from 8 yards. Minutes later and it was Eilir Edwards’ turn to supply John Owen but again the shot failed to beat Pritchard. But for all their good build Port failed to convert their chances and in a repeat of the opening half Caernarfon were able to counter-attack and Clive Williams took full advantage with a strong burst into the box and his low powerful shot found the net to double the lead. Three minutes later and the home side virtually sealed their victory. With Port pushing forward looking to cut the deficit Lewis Codling the loanee from Bala found himself in space 20 yards out and turned to beat Richard Harvey with an emphatic strike. Port continued to push forward looking for a goal and this meant there were further opportunities for the Cofis to hit on the break and when Lewis Codling found himself one on one with Richard Harvey the advancing keeper did well to deny him at the expense of a corner. Late on there were efforts from Eilir Edwards and John Owen but once again failed to provide the all elusive goal.

It was another case of a good performance not bringing the right result. Caernarfon gave Port a lesson in taking their chances scoring three times from what were fewer opportunities.

PORTHMADOG: Gareth Barker (Richard Harvey 46), Gruff Williams, Paul Lewis, Craig Papirnyk (Ceri James 70), Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Gareth Jones Evans ( Leon Newell 57), Neil Thomas, Rob Evans, John Owen, Eilir Edwards. Unused subs: Danny Bell, Carl Owen. Yellow: Paul Lewis 28, Ceri James 78.

CAERNARFON: Paul Pritchard, Steve Kehoe (Danny Murphy 77), Dion Donohue, Grahame Austin, Clive Williams, Kevin Roberts, Jordan Barrow, Lewis Codling, Luke Powell Thomas (Moses Barnett 30), Darren Thomas, Ywain Gwynedd (Cai Jones 63). Subs: Geraint Mitchell, Leigh Craven. Yellow: L Codling 35.

Referee: Gareth W Jones (Bontnewydd)


Huws Gray Alliance        -11 January
CPD Porthmadog ... 1            Caersws FC ... 2
Gareth Jones Evans  35            Graham Evans 3
                                  		   Jake Parr 69
Caersws completed a season’s double over Port and continued their recent domination of fixtures between the two clubs. They got off to a flying start and a very tight contest was decided when the visitors took advantage of a 69th minute error at the back for full back Jake Parr to race in to capitalise with a final decisive touch. Port will however feel they deserved at least a share of the points in an entertaining game where both sides were prepared to take the game to their opponents.

Caersws got off to the best possible start when just three minutes into the game Port could only partially clear Tom Richards’ long throw and as the ball reached him just outside the box the experienced Graham Evans netted with a low 20 yard thunderbolt. When Port responded Rob Evans, facing his his old club, lifted a shot over the bar. As early as the 12th minute Port lost Josh Banks to injury and Paul Lewis replaced him. The sub, despite his lack of match practice, turned in an excellent performance at left back. Caersws continued to look threatening and it needed a good save from Gareth Barker to keep out a Mark Griffiths effort from the edge of the box. Eilir Edwards who gave another all action high workrate performance then produced a good block at the near post to clear a dangerous Neil Mitchell cross from the byline. Shortly after Barker in the Port goal needed to be alert to stop a clever curling free kick from Graham Evans. Gradually Port got a foothold in the game and a Paul Lewis cross field pass found Neil Thomas cutting in from the right and it needed a good defensive block to keep the shot out. An Eilir Edwards corner followed to which Josh Stadnicki got up well but his header went the wrong side of the post. Port were now enjoying the lion’s share of possession and following good work down the left by John Owen, a superb ball was swept out to the right by Eilir Edwards which gave Gareth Jones Evans the opportunity to use his pace, cut inside behind the home defence and finish with an emphatic angled shot from 15 yards. Gareth Barker then saved well from Iwan Lewis and Paul Lewis was not far off target for Port from 25 yards. The 1-1 scoreline at half-time was a fair reflection of an entertaining first half.

The visitors started the second half strongly forcing a couple of corners and it needed a good defensive block to frustrate Adam Jenkins. Port responded with good work down the right by Gruff Williams and Gareth Jones Evans’s low cross into the goalmouth proved only narrowly out of reach of a finishing touch. Josh Stadnicki then met a Gareth Jones Evans corner and it needed a goaline clearance to keep it out. At the other end a poor clearance gave Graham Evans a shooting chance but his shot went over the bar. But it was Port who were now pushing forward and looking a threat with Leon Newell coming on as sub and making an immediate impact combining well with Gruff Williams down the right. His excellent cross found Eilir Edwards whose shot went over the bar. But it was Caersws who then made the decisive break when Mark Griffiths got to the byline and squared the ball across and when keeper Gareth Barker failed to cut it out Jake Parr, who had made up ground from the back, applied the finishing touch. Five minutes later Port should have levelled the score when another superb low cross from Leon Newell to the back post only needed a finishing touch from Paul Lewis but ended up being scrambled for a corner. Following a Newell corner Neil Thomas’s header went dangerously across the face of goal. In the last 10 minutes there were a couple of opportunites for Caersws to seal their victory but Barker denied Mitchell at the expense of a corner and the same player should have done better when he had only the keeper to beat. But the goal in each half proved enough to earn Caersws a second successive double over Port.

It was a really enjoyable 90 minutes football and a credit to this league. Though Port at the end will be disappointed they did not get at least a point from the game, when the dust settles they can only appreciate the continued progress Gareth Parry’s young squad is making. Though not always happy with the final result in every one of the last six games there has been a growing consistency of performance.

PORTHMADOG: Gareth Barker, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks (Paul Lewis 12), Craig Papirnyk (Ceri James 85), Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Gareth Jones Evans (Leon Newell 62). Neil Thomas, Rob Evans, John Owen, Eilir Edwards. Unused sub: Dan Bell. Yellow: Neil Thomas 90.

CAERSWS: David Jones, Jake Parr, Jack Hughes, Paul Grant, Tom Richards, Graham Jones, Iwan Lewis, Neil Mitchell, Graham Evans, Mark Griffiths, Adam Jenkins (ian Probert 53). Unused subs,: Craig Stephens, Dewi Reynolds. Yellow: Jack Hughes 59, Graham Evans 87.

Referee: Gwynne Vaughan

Attendance: 158.

Huws Gray Alliance       -Saturday, 4 January

CPD Porthmadog ... 3        Holyhead Hotspurs ... 0
Neil Thomas '6,'89
Gareth Jones Evans '34

An early goal from skipper Neil Thomas settled home nerves allowing Port to go on and control the opening half. A spectacular second followed from Gareth Jones Evans before half-time. Though the visitors applied some early second half pressure the back five looked strong throughout to gain a well merited clean sheet. Neil Thomas scored his second just before the end to clinch a well deserved win and send home fans home happy.

Port started well passing the ball around but the first goal after 6 minutes caught home supporters as well as the Holyhead defence very much by surprise. There appeared to be little threat when Port worked the ball across from the right until Craig Papirnyk slipped the ball to Neil Thomas who found space for himself on the edge of the box. His low shot, though not hit with power, was well placed finding the net just inside Ben Heald’s left hand post. A minute later John Owen came very close to doubling the advanage when he controlled well just inside the Holyhead box but his shot on the turn struck the crossbar and bounced to safety. Port continued to pressurise the visitors defence and it needed a goaline clearance from Dan McGuiness when Carl Owen met an Eilir Edwards corner with a dangerous glancing near post header. A rare Hotspurs attack in the early stages when a quickly taken Garmey free kick put Edwards behind the home defence but the cross went across the face of the home goal. Carl Owen, who had been linking up well behind the front two, received from Gareth Jones Evans and shot powerfully on the turn with Heald needing a second attempt to keep it out. Soon after Gareth Jones Evans scored a spectacular second for Port latching on to an excellent through ball from Dilan Lomas. Though forced wide on the left he found the net with a superb lob over the advancing Ben Heald. This goal sparked the Hotspurs into attacking mode and brought Mel McGuiness into the action. He cut inside after receiving an excellent cross field pass and was unlucky to see his well struck shot cannon away off the foot of the post. Moments later McGuiness got in between the home central defenders but this time lifted his shot over the bar. At the interval it remained 2-0 to Port.

The Hotspurs started the second half strongly and it needed an excellent diving save from home keeper Gareth Barker to keep out a low angled shot from the dangerous McGuiness. John Owen responded for Port with a clever run and his shot from 18 yards went narrowly the wrong side of the post. The visitors soon threatened again and Gareth Barker, who had little to do on the opening half, found himself in the action again this time at his near post turning a Kenleigh Owen shot for a corner. A minute later he was at his other post saving from Mike Edwards. Gradually however the steam went out of the Hotspur fight back and Port once again looked threatening. They forced a series of corners and Heald twice had to pull off good saves to keep out a Dilan Lomas header and a curling shot from Eilir Edwards. With time beginning to run out the visitors pushed forward again and it needed a good block from Ceri James to keep out Dean Garmey and Alex Jones rose well to meet a corner, but his header went over the bar. Final throw of the dice came when partially unsighted Gareth Barker went down well to save a Jay Gibbs shot through a crowded box. As the game drew to a close Port were back in control and with three minutes left came close to scoring their third. John Owen burst in on goal but Heald managed to push his shot away and in the scramble that followed Eilir Edwards struck the post. But the third came on the stroke of 90 minutes and it was another quality goal. John Owen broke down the left and squared a low cross for Neil Thomas to turn and shoot in one motion from 8 yards.

A good result for Port against a side who are never easy to beat. It was great to see the chances being taken this week and also completing a very satisfying clean sheet. Thanks to Phil Jones and staff for getting the game on and producing such a good pitch in difficult circumstances.

PORTHMADOG: Gareth Barker, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Craig Papirnyk (Ceri James 46), Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Gareth Jones Evans (Rob Evans 68), Neil Thomas, Carl Owen (Paul Lewis 90), John Owen, Eilir Edwards.

HOLYHEAD: Ben Heald, Dan McGuiness, Kenleigh Owen, Dean Garmey, Alex Jones, Gareth Owen, Darren Gowans (Mike Kelly 56), Rory Coulander (Keiron Jeffries 83), Mel McGuiness, Jay Gibbs, Mike Edwards (Rhys Brown 83). Yellow: Mel McGuiness 43.

Referee: M W Roberts.

Attendance: 133.

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 28 December
Flint Town United ... 1        CPD Porthmadog ... 1
John Owen ‘30                    Stewart Carroll 79(p)
A spot kick 12 minutes from time salvaged a point for the home side in a game where, though they might have edged it territorially, it was the visitors who carved out a whole host of clear second half chances and should have made the game safe before the penalty was conceded. But all in all this game provided good entertainment for a decent sized crowd with the result in the balance to the end as Port threw everything into a last ditch effort to take all three points. .

Port were first out of the blocks pushing the home team back into their own box but without forcing a save from Ben Jones. Having weathered these early attacks a Danny Dobbins effort went across the goal and wide. But the first real effort on goal came from Port when John Owen worked a good opening for Leon Newell who pulled his angled shot wide of the post. Flint responded with a fine effort from Gareth Roberts who rattled the Port crossbar from 25 yards. Shaun Beck netted the rebound but was ruled offside. The home side continued to look dangerous from set pieces with the tall attackers keeping the Port defence at full stretch. With 26 minutes gone Gareth Roberts for the home side met an excellent near post cross from Jordan Beck but directed his header the wrong side of the post. But as the half wore on Port looked increasingly dangerous on the break with Gareth Jones Evans, who came on as sub for the injured Leon Newell, involved in all their best attacks. It was perhaps not a surprise when Port went ahead on the half hour. John Owen got behind the home defence wide on the right and his pacy run took him to the edge of the box but his initial shot drew an excellent save from keeper Ben Jones, but Owen continued his run to take advantage of the rebound and score from close range. A short time after John Owen came close to doubling the lead with a shot from the tightest of angles which Ben Jones managed to to tip over the bar. Owen was now a constant threat to the home defence and when he whipped a cross from the left Ben Jones had to get down well to keep out Neil Thomas’s clean header. With the half time whistle drawing near Flint responded with a Shaun Beck effort on the turn from 18 yards which went over the bar. Port held on to their 1-0 lead at the interval.

Flint started well after the break and an excellent ball to the near post from Danny Dobbins was touched narrowly wide by Shaun Beck. Home pressure continued and, when Stewart Carroll lifted a dangerous corner from the right, in the scramble that followed the ball had to be twice cleared off the Port line. But after weathering the early attacks Port threatened with some fine sweeping moves. In fact during the space of only eight minutes John Owen could have got himself a second half hat trick. It was somewhat rough justice that for all his skill and effort he ended up with nothing. On 62 minutes he dispossessed a Flint defender in the box but from 12 yards he fired inches wide of the post. Six minutes later a fine through ball from Carl Owen found the forward free in the box but the shot was delayed and eventually cleared. Another two minutes on and great work by Josh Banks down the left created another opening for John Owen but this time the final shot was hurried and lifted over the bar. In amongst all this activity there was also time for Gruff Williams to burst on to a downward header from Neil Thomas but his powerful shot from the angle of the box went inches only over the bar. Flint’s only response in this period was an 18 yard shot from Shaun Beck which drifted wide. Still the chances came and a super run from Gareth Jones Evans cutting inside from the right past two defenders to supply Carl Owen, but once again the finish failed to hit the target. With only 11 minutes of normal time left disaster struck when, 3 minutes after he came on as sub, Ceri james brought down John Hill in the box. Referee Steve Hughes pointed to the spot and Stewart Carroll struck the equaliser wide of Gareth Barker’s right hand into the corner of the net. Port pushed forward in search of a winner and on 83 minutes Eilir Edwards forced Ben Jones into another good save. Then in injury time it took a last ditch interventon by Luke Carden after Rob Evans had put Neil Thomas in on goal. So an exciting encounter ended all square..

A really entertaining end to 2013 with Port feeling they should have made more of some excellent second half chances and taken all three points while Flint will feel they did enough to deserve something from the game. For Port there was also a major plus with Gareth Jones Evans taking the field on16 minutes to announce that his long injury exile was well and truly over. His superb performance was just the late Christmas present which manager Gareth Parry wanted. We look forward to more of the same in 2014. Croeso ’nol Gareth!.

PORTHMADOG: Gareth Barker, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Craig Papirnyk (Ceri James 76), Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Leon Newell (Gareth Jones Evans 16), Neil Thomas, Carl Owen ( Rob Evans 76), John Owen, Eilir Edwards. Yellow: Ceri James 79..

FLINT: been Jones, Ieuan Hewitt (Tom Allen 61), Danny Dobbins, John Hill, John Davies, Luke Camden, Stewart Carroll, Anthony Corser (Jamie Price 14), Gareth Roberts, Shaun Beck (Marc Gunther 65), Jordan Beck..

Referee: Steve Hughes (Connah’s Quay) .

Attendance: 179.

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 21 Rhagfyr
CPD Porthmadog ... 0        Guilsfield FC ... 2
                                            Jack Harris 6
                                            James Henderson 54
Two free kicks, one after only six minutes and then another nine minutes into the second half produced the two goals which gave Guilsfield the victory which had eluded them on all of their previous visits to the Traeth. Though Port had a massive advantage in possession they failed to find a final ball to open up the visitors defence. The measure of this Guilsfield performance at the back is that despite all the possession Port enjoyed David Littleford in the visitors goal was rarely troubled throughout the 90 minutes. This was particularly true in the second half when the atrocious weather conditions took a serious turn for the worse with gale force winds, monsoon rains and even thunder and lightning. Despite the elements both sets of players can feel proud of their efforts to play football on a day which could well produce many more converts to summer soccer.

The visitors with the aid of the wind started off in a lively fashion in a half which saw two fairly lengthy injury hold-ups with Guilsfield defender Luke Douglas having to leave the field for good after just three minutes. Twenty five minutes later Port keeper Jamie Hulse had to follow Douglas, appearing to suffer a hamstring injury and was replaced by Gareth Barker. Not long after the first of these incidents Guilsfield took advantage of a dubious looking free kick to go ahead. When Jack Harris, from 25 yards, lifted his free kick over the wall Jamie Hulse appeared unsighted, going down late and was beaten at his right hand post. From then on to the interval Port were dominant with the visitors only threatening twice once from sub Beech soon after his introduction and then on half time when Harris put Danny Barton through one on one with the keeper but this time the prolific scorer missed the target. Carl Owen for Port tested Littleford in the visitors goal with a curling free kick and when Lomas played a dangerous ball into the box the keeper saw his attempted clearance strike Neil Thomas and was only cleared at the expense of a corner. A good Port move followed with Neil Thomas playing in Josh Stadnicki on the right but the full back’s low shot struck the side netting. As Port continued to build up well Leon Newell volleyed Eilir Edwards’ cross wide of the post. Good approach play saw efforts from John Owen and then Craig Papirnyk tested the keeper with a low angled shot. Though their approach play was good Port failed to create a clear chance on goal and the well organised Guilsfield defence got blocks in to foil both John Owen and Neil Thomas. Despite their possession Port went in at half time 1-0 down.

Early second half pressure saw a good effort on the turn from Neil Thomas kept out by Littleford. The angry weather stepped up a few notches in the second period and despite corners free kicks and through balls carried on the gale force winds the elusive goal would not come for Port. Again the excellent Guilsfield defence served them well and shots on goal remained few and far between. In fact with less than 10 second half minutes on the clock the visitors went further ahead. They were awarded free kick 30 yards out and first half scorer Jack Harris struck forcefully into the box where James Henderson took advantage of a static home defence to send his glancing header into the corner of the net. The visitors could have added a third when Harris found Barton but again the league’s leading scorer failed to take advantage and Barker went down to save. The nearest Port came to a goal at this period was when a Dilan Lomas free kick found Neil Thomas wide left but the skipper’s angled shot went across the Guilsfield goal. Though Port continued to have plenty of possession they failed to break the visitors defence and close to the end Mark Davies and Ryan Jones for the visitors saw efforts on goal drift wide.

Guilsfield are on a good run, recording their fifth victory in their last six games, consistent form which consolidates their top five position. Port despite playing well in patches continue their worryingly inconsistent form.

PORTHMADOG: Jamie Hulse (Gareth Barker 28), Josh Stadnicki, Josh Banks, Craig Papirnyk (Gareth Jones Evans 78), Dilan Lomas, Rhys Roberts, Leon Newell, Neil Thomas, Carl Owen (Rob Evans 61), John Owen, Eilir Edwards. Subs unused: Gruff Williams, Paul Lewis, Sion Kyle. Yellow: Craig Papirnyk.

GUILSFIELD: Dave Littleford, Callum Bromley, Luke Douglas (Darren Beech 4, Nick Jarvis 72), Gareth Jones, James Henderson, James O’Reilly, Chris Cathrall, Nathan Leonard, Danny barton, Mark Davies, Jack Harris (Ryan Jones 68). Yellow:Jack Harris 37, James O’Reilly 51.

Referee: Aled Jones (Lampeter) Attendance: 118.

Welsh Cup Rd. 3          - Saturday, 7 December

CPD Porthmadog ... 2		Sully Sports ... 1
Carl Owen '18			Alex Long '84
Neil Thomas '90 + 1
Port needed an added time goal from skipper Neil Thomas to clinch a place in the last sixteen of the Welsh Cup. Having been denied several certain looking goals in the first half, thanks to some inspired goalkeeping by Keiron Sharratt who pulled off a series of outstanding saves. Sully lifted their game several notches in the second half and Port were only a couple of minutes away from being made to pay for the wasted opportunities of the first half with extra time. With six minutes of normal time remaining the Vale of Glamorgan club levelled the scores and it was the turn of Neil Thomas to provide his team with the inspiration to head them into the 4th Round.

Port were pushed back from the off as Sully started strongly and in only the first minute Josh Stadnicki was forced into a rash tackle which saw him receive a yellow card. But it did not take long for Port to settle down and then go on to dominate the first half, creating a plenty of excellent scoring opportunities and leaving Jamie Hulse a virtual spectator in the home goal. Carl Owen had an early opportunity for a shot on goal and Josh Banks fired one from 25 yards but Kevin Sharratt dealt comfortably with both. In the 9th minute Eilir Edwards crossed to the near post for Carl Owen but Sharratt, this time under pressure, got a hand to the low header and pushed the ball away for a corner. In the 18th minute Sully were made to pay for conceding a free kick in a dangerous position. Carl Owen curled a brilliant free kick just inside Sharratt’s right hand post to give the home side a deserved lead. Minutes later and Carl Owen turned provider putting Neil Thomas in on goal but his angled shot drew another excellent save from Sahrratt diving to his left. After 27 minutes a superb Eilir Edwards through ball put John Owen in one on one with the keeper but Sharratt was out quickly to pull off another excellent stop. Just past the half hour mark Josh Stadnicki met Eilir Edwards’ corner with a header that looked goal bound but Sharratt kept it out of the net saving with a fantastic piece of agility. The chances still came and Sharratt kept pulling off outstanding saves. Eilir Edwards intercepted a loose pass and broke into the box but again the Sully keeper saved well. With half time looming Rhys Roberts did find the net at a corner only to be ruled offside. But before the half time whistle was blown there was still time for Carl Owen to run on to a fine through ball from Leon Newell, only to find Kieron Sharratt again equal to the task. While all this was going on Sully rarely threatened with McKinery’s shot from the edge of the box the only threat to Jamie Hulse’s goal in the half. At the interval Port were 1-0 ahead but thanks to a superb goal keeping performance the South Wales Senior League side were still very much in the game.

Early in the second half an Eilir Edwards free kick was turned on for Josh Stadnicki whose shot went narrowly wide. But it was clear that, having survived the first half pressure, Sully were eager to take advantage. Lawlor tried a shot from distance which was not too far off target and when Daniel James lifted a free kick it was met by McKinery whose powerful header went straight at Jamie Hulse. Though not able to apply the pressure of the first half Port did have opportunities. Following a good mazy run Leon Newell fired wide and when Eilir Edwards found John Owen in the box the forward, with his back to the target, flicked an effort over his shoulder and was only narrowly wide. But play was far more even now and in the 71st minute Dilan Lomas needed all of his 6ft 3ins height to head off the line following McKinery’s corner. Port knew that they needed another goal to make the game safe and a great run from Josh Stadnicki provided John Owen with a shooting chance but was again denied by a good save by the keeper. Craig Papirnyk, who had another excellent controlling game in midfield, tried a blaster from 20 yards which felled the blocking defender and a good low cross from Leon Newell followed but was not converted. Then the almost inevitable happened and in the 84th minute the determined play of the visitors paid off. They won a free kick almost 30 yards from goal. An unlikely opportunity but Alex Long hit his shot with power and it curled out of the reach of Jamie Hulse to level the scores. Now was a time for character and Neil Thomas’s determination shone through in the closing stages and it was right that his fine header -meeting Eilir Edwards quality cross- was too good even for the inspired Keiron Sharratt to keep out.

A hard day at the office for Port was not unexpected in view of Sully Sports excellent Cup pedigree but to leave it so late is not good for the health of supporters. A nail biting finish but it provides entry to the last 16 and a long journey to Monmouth.

PORTHMADOG: Jamie Hulse, Josh Stadnicki, Josh Banks, Craig Papirnyk (Ceri James 84), Dilan Lomas, Rhys Roberts, Leon Newell, Neil Thomas, Carl Owen (Phil Williams 83), John Owen Eilir Edwards. Unused subs: Sion Kyle, Gareth Parry, Gareth Barker (gk). Yellow: Josh Stadnicki 1, Craig Papirnyk 25, Carl Owen 31, John Owen 89.

SULLY SPORTS: Kieron Sharratt, Wesley Lamb, Lewis James, Edward Jones, Liam Beddard (Morgan Hopkins 65) , Daniel James, Garon Davies (Aiden Lewis 78), Daniel Lawlor, Gareth Hemmens (Mark Brown 72), Alex Long, Connery McKinery. Unused subs:Andrew Townsend, Jimmy Blackie. Yellow: Edward Jones 16, Daniel Lawlor 77, Alex Long 90.

Referee: Steve Hughes Attendance: 123

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 30 November
Rhydymwyn ... 0	CPD Porthmadog ... 4
		Josh Stadniki '15
		Josh Stadniki '36
		Phil Williams '74
		John Owen '82
Two goals in each half brought Port back to winning ways as they produced the performance of character which skipper Neil Thomas had demanded ahead of today’s game. The first goal came from the unlikely source of right back Josh Stadnicki, scoring his first for the club, but went on to add a second. Both came from set pieces. In fact it was a good day all round for the Bangor students, who both hail from Manchester. Dilan Lomas, at the heart of defence, made some strong timely tackles to help secure the clean sheet. Two second half goals made the game safe and ensured that Rhyd would not record the season’s third win over Port.

Rhydymwyn started strongly passing the ball around and finding space along the wings. After 6 minutes a Chris Guy free kick found Gleave wide on the right. The winger cut inside and unleashed a powerful shot which went across goal and narrowly wide of the far post. A minute later a Terry Pughe effort went even closer to Jamie Hulse’s post but the end result was the same. Gradually Port found their feet on a difficult surface and a neat Craig Papirnyk chip put Carl Owen in on goal but Power, in the home goal, managed to push the ball away for a corner. Eilir Edwards swung the corner in and Stadnicki rose well and headed strongly to open the scoring. Port now began to dominate possession and John Owen, after 20 minutes, cut inside past two defenders but saw his shot blocked for a corner and Owen was close again when Leon Newell found him with a square pass after another Papirnyk chip had opened up the Rhyd defence. As Port looked for a second Neil Thomas lifted a shot from 18 yards over the bar. But soon after the half hour mark Port’s second came with Eilir Edwards again involved with his corner being headed on by Rhys Roberts, and Josh Stadnicki scored his second with a shot from a tight angle at the back post. Rhydymwyn rarely threatened in this period though there was one dangerous cross from Gleave to which there was no finishing touch and a good break from McConnell ended with a shot straight at Hulse. At the end of the half Josh Banks had a strong effort diverted for a corner. The half ended with Port netting following a corner but it was ruled out for offside. 2-0 to Port at the interval.

Port started the second half looking for an all important third goal and John Owen was only narrowly off target when cutting inside past a couple of defenders. Rhydymwyn responded by pushing forward strongly in search of a foothold in the game. A good angled ball from Terry Pughe produced a shooting opportunity for McConnell but his well hit shot went across goal and wide. Though Rhyd pushed forward they found the reorganised Port defence in no mood to concede. Rhys Roberts and Dilan Lomas produced some excellent tackles as Port reduced their opponents to efforts from a distance. Mark Weir had a shot from 20 yards blocked for a corner and Terry Pughe lifted a shot from the edge of the box over the bar. With Jamie Hulse being protected by a strong back four performance, one of the few saves he had to make came after 72 minutes when he went down at the feet of Guy in a period of Rhyd pressure. But two minutes later the game was made safe for Port when Neil Thomas’ excellent chip put Phil Williams in behind the defence and the sub coolly lobbed keeper Power from 16 yards for Port’s third. From then on in Port controlled the game with Craig Papirnyk, Carl Owen, Neil Thomas and Eilir Edwards winning the battle in midfield and getting through a huge amount of work. Port might well have added more than one goal in the latter stages of the game but the one that did come was a well deserved one for John Owen. With 8 minutes left Owen turned well on the left of the box to lose his marker and scored with a low cracker from 15 yards. Sion Kyle could have added a fifth when he found himself one on one with the keeper but lost his footing on the slippery surface and the ball went wide.

An excellent win and a timely return to form with several players having to perform different roles due to the absence of Ceri James and Gruff Williams who were away, Paul Lewis was working, Dan Bell injured and Rob Evans suspended. It was an all round team performance which will need to be repeated in the Welsh Cup next Saturday.

PORTHMADOG: Jamie Hulse, Josh Stadnicki, Josh Banks, Craig Papirnyk (Gareth Parry 86), Dilan Lomas, Rhys Roberts, Leon Newell (Phil Williams 54), Neil Thomas, Carl Owen (Sion Kyle 81), John Owen, Eilir Edwards. Unused sub: Gareth Barker (gk).

RHYDYMWYN: Elliot Power, Gary Tebble, Mark Weir, Richard Griffiths, Terry Pughe, Chris Guy, Dave Gleave, Darren Pritchard, Connor Kendrick, Gary McConnell (Daz Bunnell 720, Tom Evans (Jack Roberts 72)

Referee: Martin Trigg (Kinmel Bay). Attendance: 50