CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Llandudno (a) | Conwy (a) | Trefynwy / Monmouth Town (h) | Bwcle / Buckley (a) | Trefynnon/Holywell (a) |
|Penrhyncoch (a) |

Huws Gray Alliance        -Saturday, 15 March.
CPD Penrhyncoch ... 0        CPD Porthmadog ... 1
                                            Ceri James 41

Porthmadog completed a season’s double over their mid-Wales opponents thanks to a single goal scored a few minutes before the intervalby the game’s top player Ceri James . The goal came from one of the few really well worked moves in the game, in which Ceri combined with skipper Neil Thomas to break the first half deadlock. The result remained in the balance to the end and that mainly because Port, for the umpteenth time in the season, failed to take advantage of some gilt edged second half chances to kill the game off.

With the home side fighting for Cymru Alliance survival they clearly set themselves up to defend in numbers and then hit on the break. On a few occasions the plan looked likely to bear some fruit. The early play though brought little in the way of entertaiment and the best part of a quarter of an hour had elapsed before we got anything resembling an effort on goal. The best early move came when Ryan Jones’s cross from the right found Carl Owen in the box. The forward with his back to goal tried a neat back heel which Jon Foligno blocked on the goaline. Penrhyn responded with a break down the right as Aaron Lemon beat Dilan Lomas to the ball and cut threateningly inside, but his angled shot deflected away for a corner. Following the corner Kristian Jenkins’ lob from the right found Foligno at the back post but the defender shot into the side netting. Real threats on goal were few and far between but near the half hour mark Eilir Edwards’s crossfield pass found Rob Evans in space on the right but the shot from 15 yards was sliced wide. Josh Stadnicki then fired wide when the ball broke to him following Eilir Edwards’ corner. Stuart Frazer threatened a couple of times for Penrhyncoch once he tested Richard Harvey after some hesitant defending on the edge of the box. The same player, with loud appeals for offside being ignored, attempted to lob Richard Harvey only to see the ball bounce narrowly wide. Both sides gave the ball away far too often and if a goal was to come it seemed it would result from a mistake. Then four minutes before the interval a little piece of quality came from nowhere. Ceri James broke from midfield to find Neil Thomas with his back to goal on the edge of the box. The skipper played a clever ball flicked round the corner to find James who had continued his run into the box and from 10 yards the ball was steered into the net. On the back of this one good move Port deserved to go in 1-0 at the interval.

Immediately after the restart it took a good near post save from Richard Harvey to maintain that interval lead. The shot came from Lemon who almost took advantage of a useful Stuart Frazer crossfield pass. Port responded through a well struck effort from Ryan Jones which home keeper Richard Morgan did well to save, pushing it round the post. They should have extended their lead in the 54th minute when the best move of the match saw Josh Banks capitalise on good work down the left to break to the byline and pick out Ryan Jones in space, in the box 12 yards out but the young forward’s finish was off target. Port continued to look for the goal to give themselves a cushion and Ceri James struck powerfully from 25 yards but narrowly over the bar. But despite forcing a series of corners the second goal would not come. Penrhyncoch scented the possibility of at least a point as Lemon shot from 20 yards but Harvey was on hand to pull off a good save. Long throws from Kristian Jenkins caused some jitters for the Port defence but the clean sheet was maintained. With five minutes remaining Port conjured the opporunity which could have eased the tensions of the closing minutes. A well judged through ball from Eilir Edwards put John Owen clear with only the keeper to beat. He struck what looked like a goal bound shot only to see it drift wide of the empty goal. The home side were left to search for an equaliser without experienced Gari Lewis who recieved his marching orders for a second yellow after some over vociferous protests to the referee.

The clean sheet was kept to the end and three points were gratefully garnered in. Five home fixtures will now complete Port’s 2013/14 season.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gareth Jones Evans (Gruff Williams 57), Josh Banks, Ceri James, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Rob Evans (Leon Newell 66), Neil Thomas, Carl Owen, Ryan Jones( John Owen 78). Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk, Paul Lewis. Yellow: Eilir Edwards 60.

PENRHYNCOCH: Richard Morgan, Eilan Evans (Mark Roberts 79), Steff Antoniazzi, Kristian Jenkins, Jon Foligno, Gari Lewis, Owain James, Aaron Lemon, Stuart Frazer, Mark Edmundson (Glyndwr Hughes 70), Liam James (Liam Jacques 70). Unused subs: Emlyn Lewis. Red: Gari Lewis 83 (2 yellows). Yellow: Stuart Frazer 33.

Referee: Scott Langley.

Attendance: 70.

Welsh Cup Quarter Finals         -Saturday, 01 March
Holywell Town .... 2        CPD Porthmadog ... 1
Sam Jones ‘37                   Leon Newell ‘44
Dafydd Griffith ‘89
Holywell Town made history today reaching the Welsh Cup semi final for the first time ever and also becoming the first third tier club to reach this stage in the competition. An 89th minute winner from Dafydd Griffith sent the home supporters into ecstasy while leaving a despondent Port with no time to mount any kind of come back. For Port the afternoon typified so much of their experiences throughout the season, controlling the game for long periods but failing to turn these periods of pressure into goals and then being struck by two good speedy breaks. Port became the Wellmen’s third Cymru Alliance victims and with Welsh Premier club Newtown thrown in for good measure it has been an amazing Cup run for the Flintshire club.

Holywell were first on the attack and following some early sparring had the first effort on goal in the 11th minute when Phil Lloyd squared a ball for Tony Roebuck who lifted his shot from 18 yards over the bar. Gradually Port established a firmer foothold in the game and Rob Evans saw a shot deflected for a corner. In the 17th minute Carl Owen met an Eilir Edwards corner with a glancing header which had visiting supporters starting a goal celebration only for it to be foiled by Orme's last ditch goaline clearing header. Play continued mainly in the Holywell half and a dipping 30 yard effort from Carl Owen went narrowly over the bar. On the half hour mark Rob Evans received from Carl Owen and turned well in the box but his angle shot drifted past Stanton’s left hand post. Though Port had controlled the play Holywell gave out a clear warning that they could be a threat on the break. Steve Thomas burst down the left pulling the Port defence out of position and when the wideman crossed low to the back post Sam Jones’ failure to finish off was a let off. With 37 minutes gone the lesson was repeated and this time the home side opened the scoring. A piece of quick thinking caught Port napping and a quickly taken free kick put Sam Jones away down the left. Once again the break was forced the defence out of position and Jones cut inside firing a low shot past Richard Harvey to open the scoring. But a minute before half time Port drew level. Josh Stadnicki played a good ball forward to put John Owen in behind the Holywell defence and he raced in on goal but keeper Danny Stanton got a hand to his shot. But Stanton could only push it into the path of Leon Newell who followed up to net with a shot from 15 yards. All square at the interval at 1-1.

Port pushed forward strongly after the interval and five minutes after the restart Richard Harvey’s long clearing kick enabled Carl Owen to get behind the home defence down the right. He then cut inside striking a powerful shot which unluckily hit the crossbar and bounced to safety. Port continued to search for a second goal with Carl Owen proving a real threat to the home defence. The forward broke into the box but his shot went straight at Stanton. John Owen then made a clever run into the box but good defending saw the shot blocked away for a corner. In one of a series of Port corners Eilir Edwards lifted one from the right which took a deflection to reach Carl Owen whose shot took a ricochet over the bar. But despite the pressure and a huge second half corner count advantage the all important goal just wouldn’t come. The home side on occasions still showed they were capable of hitting on the break and just after the hour mark Phil Lloyd breaking into the box on the right fired a good angled shot which went narrowly wide of Richard Harvey’s right hand post. A few minutes later the same player should have done better when well placed on the right of the box but sliced his shot well wide of the target. With Port for all their possession failing to carve out the all important scoring opportunity the clock was moving relentlessly towards extra time. Then with a minute of the ninety remaining, triumph for Holywell and disaster for Port. Sam Jones made his break down the left breaking beyond the Port defence to the byline. The talented young forward crossed low and at the back post was the unlikely figure of central defender Dafydd Griffith to finish off the move and break Port hearts. Dafydd Griffith who had done so much to frustrate Port attacks throughout the ninety was there at the kill.

A wonderful day, a magnificent crowd and a large noisy contingent of travelling supporters helping to create a real Cup-tie atmosphere. But ultimately it was so near and yet so far having given so much during the 90 minutes to be beaten by such a late strike. Once again it was the old adage ‘goals win matches’ which sums it all up and you just can’t argue with that. Congratulations to the Holywell Town team and their manager John Haseldin and the very best of luck in the semis. You can just feel the pain and sheer disappointment in manager Gareth Parry’s tweet “Absolutely gutted. Thanks to all the @CPDPorthmadogFC supporters who were fantastic today and deserved more. Sorry we couldn't do it. #sick

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gareth Jones Evans, Josh Banks (capt), Ceri James, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Rob Evans, Leon Newell, Carl Owen, John Owen, Eilir Edwards. Sub Craig Papirnyk. Unused subs: Paul Lewis, Gareth Parry Gareth Barker(gk). Yellow: Josh Banks.

HOLYWELL: Danny Stanton, Paul D Williams (Barry Calder 86), Greame Williams (Luke Tyson 70), Tom McElmeel, Dafydd Griffith, Mark Orme, Paul Williams (Sion McHugh 90), Tony Roebuck, Phil Lloyd, Sam Jones, Steve Thomas. Unused sub: Graham Boylan. Yellow: Sam Jones 65.

Referee: Mark Petts (Deganwy)

Attendance: 500+

Huws Gray Alliance League     - Saturday, 22 February.

Buckley Town ... 2		CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Matty Singleton 46		Carl Owen 14
Phil Molyneux 65		Eilir Edwards 79

After controlling the game for most of the opening half and going in one goal ahead Port found themselves facing a completely different Buckley Town after the interval. It took the home side just a minute to get on level terms and then added a second to take the lead with 25 minutes to go. This in turn alerted Port to raise their game and Eilir Edwards levelled with a goal which deserves to be a strong challenger for goal of the season. The game closed with Port piling on the late pressure but the home side held out to secure a point.

In the early exchanges John Owen for Port fired narrowly wide after receiving from Leon Newell, while Phil Molyneux for Buckley put the Port defence under pressure with a long throw which Gareth Barker cleared well. But it was Port who got into their stride first and went on to control much of the play in the first half. Carl Owen and Leon Newell exchanged passes near the edge of the box with Newell coming close with a low shot. Carl Owen then met a Gareth Jones Evans cross but his header failed to hit the target but we did not have long to wait before Port took a deserved lead. A good ball from Gareth Jones Evans found Carl Owen free in the box and the leading scorer netted from 12 yards, despite the fact that Ben Jones got a a hand to it. Though play was mainly in the home half Port were stretched on a couple of occasions and were grateful for the alertness of keeper Gareth Barker. He went down well at his near post to save well from Derek Taylor who had cut in from the left and again was off his line quickly to go down at the feet of Nathan Marland. But it was Port who looked the more likely to score again and came close when John Owen was unlucky to see his curling shot strike the bar and bounce over. With 27 minutes gone a cross from the left from John Owen was deflected on to Gareth Jones Evans whose back post looping header was only inches the wrong side of the post. Still the shooting chances were falling to Port and it needed a good save from Ben Jones to keep out Carl Owen’s well struck shot. An excellent through ball from Gareth Jones Evans put John Owen through behind the home defence but with only keeper Ben Jones to beat he skewed his shot wide. Late in the half there were a couple of Buckley breaks with Phil Molyneux having an angled shot saved by Barker at his near post and the same player met a coner at the back post but headed over. Port were 1-0 ahead at the interval but had not made the most of their control of the game.

From the off in the second period Port were made to rue their failure to turn pressure into goals. In the very first minute full back Matty Singleton broke down the right getting beyond the Port defence and thundered an angled shot across the goal into the far corner of the net to immediately level the scores.Leon Newell could have restored the lead immediately when he won the ball in the centre circle and raced goalwards but was thwarted by a good Ben Jones save turning the shot for a corner. But now the home side were transformed, a yard quicker to the ball and beginning to dominate in midfield. Gareth Barker was now the busier of the two keepers and did well to push a close range Beckett header on to the bar. Molyneux then broke clear down the left but lifted his shot over the bar. Barker was again in the thick of the action pushing away a point blank effort from McGill. It was no surprise when the home side took the lead in the 66th minute. Port trying to restore their lead caught themselves stretched down the left when Phil Molyneux broke clear and around the advancing Barker then unleashed a shot which the retreating defenders failed to keep out. With the home side ahead Port at last started to strike back with Carl Owen, Ryan Jones and Eilir Edwards providing a real threat. Ben Jones had to make a good save at his near post from Carl Owen who also was twice only a fraction away from getting his head to a couple of dangerous crosses. In the 79th minute the equaliser came and what a spectacular goal it was. Eilir Edwards capitalised on confusion between keeper Ben Jones and his defence. He looked up and with the keeper well off his line he lifted a superb lob from the left touchline high over the keeper and dipping under the cross bar. Magnificent! It was all Port now but the scoring shot would not materialise. Craig Papyrnik found Carl Owen in the box but the forward’s lob went inches over the bar. Three late late corners threatened but no goal and an exciting match ended all square.

Maybe Port had an eye on next Saturday’s vitally important Welsh Cup tie but will wonder how they allowed their opponents back into a game which they should have won in the opening half. All eyes now turn to Holywell.

PORTHMADOG: Gareth Barker, Gruff Williams (capt), Josh Banks, Ceri James ( Paul Lewis 77), Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Gareth Jones Evans (Craig Papirnyk 59), Leon Newell, Carl Owen, John Owen(Ryan Jones 68). Sub not used: Rob Evans.

BUCKLEY: Ben Jones, Matty Singleton (Jamie Gibson 67), Rees Darlington, Joe Tinsley, Jack Jones, Anthony Williams, Derek Taylor, Tom Smith, Nathan Marland, Tom McGill (Scott Beckett 39, Neil Wynnes 77), Phil Molyneux.

Referee: Scott Langley (Meliden).

Attendance: 65.

Welsh Cup Rd. 4     - Saturday, 15 February.

CPD Porthmadog ... 3		Monmouth Town ... 2
Carl Owen 55				Jack Alderdyce 19, 24
John Owen 69
Craig Papirnyk 95 
Port reached the quarter-finals of the Welsh Cup for the first time since 2006/07 in a thrilling contest. But they needed a great second half comeback and extra-time to secure their passage, after having conceded two set piece goals during five first half minutes. With a huge team effort they mounted a second half fight back but had to wait until the fifth minute of extra-time before they got their noses in front for the first time in the game coming thanks to a goal from super sub Craig Papirnyk only five minutes after taking the field. This was also Craig’s first for the club and what a time to score!.

After the torrential rain the game ironically commenced in pale sunshine. Port were first on the attack and two minutes into the game John Owen slipped in Gareth Jones Evans who lifted a 20 yard effort over the bar. Following a period of midfield sparring Laurie got his head to a Dean Lee free kick but it went straight to Richard Harvey. Port countered and Laurie was forced to concede a corner to stop a dangerous cross by Gareth Jones Evans. Play was end to end now but, with the wind on their backs, the visitors were beginning to look a real threat. Dean tested Richard Harvey with and angled shot which skidded through on the wet surface. With 19 minutes gone Monmouth won a corner on the right and the home defence failed to deal with McDonald’s cross which fell for Jack Allerdyce who reacted well to turn it into the net from 8 yards. The goal lifted the visitors and they pushed forward dangerously and five minutes later they won another corner this time down the left. McDonald’s corner was not cleared again and Allerdyce again responded to net from close range. Suddenly Port faced a mountain and for the next few minutes looked under threat as Corey Jenkins supplied Lee in the box but Richard Harvey saved well. Gradually Port regained composure and a great angled ball from John Owen found Eilir Edwards racing in from the left and his cracking shot flew inches over the bar. With Port redoubling efforts to cut the deficit before the interval John Owen cut inside from the left but his shot went wide of the target. On the stroke of half-time keeper Keiron Blackburn was forced to fist a Ceri James free kick from under his crossbar. It remained 2-0 to the visitors at the interval.

Now with the advantage of the whimsical wind Port established themselves in the Monmouth half and 10 minutes into the half they cut the deficit to a single goal. For the third time in the game a corner produced a goal. Eilir Edwards’ inswinger was touched on to the bar by keeper Blackburn it rolled to the back post where a sizzling Carl Owen volley fizzed across goal and hit the net just inside the far post. It was all Port now and Eilir Edwards raced into the box but his low shot was well kept out by Blackburn. Dilan Lomas fired over the bar from distance and then another well struck Eilir Edwards dipping 25 yard effort was only inches over the bar. The second goal had to come and it was an excellent move which brought it. A Dilan Lomas ball found Leon Newell wide on the right. The forward, who had just come from the bench beat a defender in the narrowest of spaces close to the byline and squared it low for Carl Owen to touch on for John Owen who applied the finish from close in. Port were now scenting the victory and continued to control things territorially forcing a series of corners and one John Owen effort squirmed its way dangerously across the face of goal. But the all important third goal failed to materialise during the 90 minutes. And so to extra-time.

Port were on the attack from the start of the extra period and within five minutes they were ahead. Leon Newell and Rob Evans combined well down the right and Evans’ low cross was coolly turned into the corner of the net by Craig Papirnyk who had only come from the bench at the start of extra time. Port now kept things tight but a free kick in a dangerous position threatened their goal. Nick Harrhy lifted his curling shot over the bar. But in the second period of extra time the visitors threw everything forward in an effort to secure parity and Richard Harvey needed to be alert to touch a Dean Lee cracker over the bar. With Port on the verge of seeing themselves through to Round 5 disaster almost struck. With time running out an excellent ball from Allerdyce put Nick Harrhy clear through on goal. With the home supporters holding their collective breaths the experienced striker steered his shot wide of the post and then it was party time at the Traeth.

In the next round Port will visit either Newtown or Holywell and that thanks to a whole squad performance. Decisive decisions were made to bring on subs and each one of them made a big contribution to the victory. Mention must also be made of the Queen of the north Wales football grounds. With virtually all others succumbing to the unprecedented rains, the Traeth sailed through two hours of football and still looking in great nick at the end. Well done to Phil and his ground staff for their determination to see this game played.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Paul Lewis (Josh Banks 61), Ceri James, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Rob Evans, Gareth Jones Evans (Leon Newell 65), Carl Owen (Craig Papirnyk 91), Eilir Edwards. Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Gareth Barker. Yellow: Eilir Edwards..

MONMOUTH: Keiron Blackburn, Adam Davies, Ben Evans, Rob Laurie (Sam Palmer 115), Dan Clare, Jack Allerdyce, Elliot Evans, Dean Lee, Nick Harrhy, Dan MacDonald (Josh Brown 70), Corey Jenkins. Subs not used: Luke Cleaves, Dean Palmer, Safian Kuplinkski. Yellow: Adam Davies 27, Jack Allerdyce 107).

Referee: Ryan Stewart (Cardiff).

Attendance: 152.

Huws Gray Alliance    -Tuesday, 11 February.
Conwy Borough ... 3            CPD Porthmadog ... 2
Alan Bull 39                            Carl Owen 24
Kyle Wilson 45                        Neil Thomas 84
Ed Moss 60
Not for the first time this season Port will wonder how after controlling long periods of the game they ended up on the losing side. Conwy on the other hand will feel that a team which takes its chances when they come deserve to take the three points. Port took a deserved first half lead after squandering some excellent early chances but allowed the home side back into the game being twice caught by break aways shortly before the interval. A superb free kick on the hour mark from Ed Moss gave the home side a two goal advantage and though Port pressured the home defence their goal six minutes from time was not enough.

Port opened brightly and should have gone ahead after only three minutes when a fine through ball from Ceri James put John Owen in one on one with the keeper but Mackin was left to make a comfortable save. Continuing to press forward Dilan Lomas found Eilir Edwards on the edge of the box but his angled shot went narrowly wide. With 13 minutes gone John Owen won the ball 25 yards out and burst through on goal but failed to make the most of his good work and Mackin pushed the ball away wide of the post. A break down the right followed with Ceri James finding Carl Owen who cut inside firing low but Mackin saved well at his near post. But with 24 minutes gone a period of intense Port pressure ended with Paul Lewis lifting a fine cross to the far post which Carl Owen met with a close range header to open the scoring. During this period Richard Harvey had only a 20 yard shot from Moss to deal with and a few stray long balls to pick up. But having failed to make the most of their chances Port were twice punished for this failure. A break down the right by Moss, an exchange of passes and a low cross opened up the Port defence and Bull, after having his first effort blocked, netted from close range. Worse was to follow and on half time a ball played inside from the left found Kyle Wilson who cut across field and the advancing Richard Harvey got his hands to the shot but could not prevent it rolling on into the net. After holding on by a thread for most of the half suddenly the home side were ahead by 2-1 at the interval.

The late goals lifted the home side as they raised their game going into the second period. Early in the second half they won a free kick on the right and Richard Harvey’s punch reached Kyle Wilson whose shot drifted wide of the target. Port responded with a break down the left with Eilir Edwards finding John Owen whose shot was well saved by Mackin. More pressure from Port winning a couple of corners and the busy Eilir Edwards found Carl Owen on the edge of the box. He turned well but again Mackin saved. Then with an hour gone Port conceded a free-kick on the left of the box 20 yards out. Conwy debutant Ed Moss struck a superb curling free kick which hit the inside of the post on its way into the net. For the remaining half hour the majority of play was in the Conwy half but though they forced a series of corners they failed to break through until the 84th minute when Port worked the ball across from the right to Neil Thomas who fired a low shot through the crowded box from 20 yards cutting the deficit. Port continued to pile on the pressure but in a bad tempered end they failed to find the equaliser.

It was the same old story a good performance but being caught on the break after creating plenty of chances especially in the opening half hour. But the really bad news was the injury time straight red card for skipper Neil Thomas and the nasty injury to Josh Stadnicki limping off after 62 minutes. With the most important game of the season coming up on Saturday it leaves manager Gareth Parry with a real headache.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Paul Lewis, Ceri James, Josh Stadnicki (Josh Banks 62), Dilan Lomas, Rob Evans, Neil Thomas, John Owen (Gareth J Evans 74) , Carl Owen (Ryan Jones 74) Eilir Edwards. Unused sub: Gareth Barker. Red: Neil Thomas 90+, Eilir Edwards 86.

CONWY: Lois Mackin, Steve Cunningham, Phil Doran, Dan Desmoreaux, Matty Holt, Gareth Sudlow, Ed Moss, Alan Bull, Kyle Wilson, Matty Pierce. Subs: Steve Connor, Aden Shannon, Ian Willlis, Teddy Whelan.

Referee: MW Roberts!


Huws Gray Alliance         -Tuesday, 21 January
Llandudno Town ... 0            CPD Porthmadog ... 1
                                               John Owen ‘40
In a fast furious rather frenetic game a single goal 10 minutes before the interval was enough for Port to complete a season’s double over Llandudno. It also made them only the second away club to record a league win at Maesdu this season.

The game started at a hundred miles an hour with little or no time to settle on the ball and develop any worthwhile passing moves. With tackles flying in and players being closed down quickly there was little chance for the game to flow. Territorially it was Llandudno who enjoyed the greater share in the opening period and the first opportunity on goal came when Eddie Jebb cutting in from the left lifted a cross to the back post where Joyce headed over the bar. Despite their early pressure Llandudno failed to really threaten Richard Harvey’s goal and the keeper did not have a real save to make until the 25th minute when Jebb cut in from the right and tested Richard Harvey who saved well at his near post. This was the signal for Port to launch their first real threat of the game when John Owen released Leon Newell on the right. The forward cut inside and his well struck angled shot was pushed away at full stretch by home keeper Connor Wearing. Gradually the game was settling down and there was more in the way of passing moves. With half time approaching Eilir Edwards found John Owen in space in a central position. Owen drove forward to the edge of the box and, though keeper Wearing appeared to have his shot covered, the ball wriggled from his grasp and trickled over the line. The goal lifted Port and Wearing was soon in action again this time he pushed Eilir Edwards’ 25 yard effort on to the bar and the ball was scrambled to safety. A dangerous run by Leon Newell followed going by his marker and cutting inside and his low cross hit with power went across the face of goal. Llandudno responded strongly late in the half when Dilan Lomas had to clear off the line after a Jebb break on the right and Richard Harvey saved from the same player at the expense of a corner.

Port were on the attack early in the second half and following a good move down the left Neil Thomas fired across the face of goal. Toby Jones responded for Llandudno with a 30 yard cracker which struck the bar and that was the nearest the home side came to scoring. Though Llandudno now pushed up in search of an equaliser it was Port who looked more likely to add to their score. Neil Thomas headed over the bar from a Leon Newell corner. Eilir Edwards then put John owen through down the centre but his attempt to lob the keeper went wide. Leon Newell then failed to capitalise on his excellent run past two defenders with a wayward finish. Connor Wearing saved from Eilir Edwards after a good John Owen lay off. Though Llandudno built up some periods of pressure down both flanks they failed to force Richard Harvey into any worthwhile saves and once again the Port back four played impressively getting in some excellent tackles. Twice in the late stages of the game Port could have sealed the victory when John Owen got into a one-on-one situation, keeper Wearing averted a certain goal saving with an outstretched leg. Following up Eilir Edwards curled a shot narrowly over. In injury time Gareth Jones Evans found himself clear after a clever run but his chip was saved by the keeper. For once Port were not left to rue missed chances as the one they took proved enough on the night.

Port will feel their recent performances deserve more than one win in a run of three very difficult games but there will be some relief to have taken all three points at a ground which has not proved fruitful in recent seasons.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Paul Lewis, Ceri James, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Rob Evans, Neil Thomas (Danny Bell 90), Leon Newell (Gareth Jones Evans 84), John Owen (Carl Owen 90), Eilir Edwards. Unused sub: Gareth Parry. Yellow: Neil Thomas 34, John Owen 70, Eilir Edwards 77, Ceri James 90.

LLANDUDNO: Conor Wearing, Joe Williams, Connor Tierney (Bryn Roberts 82), Joel Richardson, Johnny Spittle, Iwan Williams (Josh Macauley 63), Eddie Jebb (Dean Seager 54), Tom Dix, Lee Thomas, Toby Jones, James Joyce. Unused subs: Jordan Carrington. Yellow: Joel Richardson 43.

Referee: Scott Langley (Meliden)

Attendance: 89


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us