CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Penycae (h) | TNS (h) | Caersws (a) | Caernarfon (a) | Guilsfield (h) | Llanidloes (a) | Flint (h) |
| Llandudno (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance -Tuesday, 16 September 2014

CPD Porthmadog... 0
Llandudno Town.... 0

This was anything but a dull no score draw, an exciting end to end game played at pace sometimes at frenetic pace. Indeed the biggest surprise was that the game ended without a goal. Both sides had their chances with Llandudno probably having the better ones and Port were indebted to their keeper Richard Harvey who pulled off several outstanding saves but one, with 8 minutes left, was reminiscent of the fantastic save he made with his legs in the memorable relegation battle against Rhyl several seasons ago.

From the start it was an end to end contest and it was clear that Llandudno were determined to make amends for Saturday’s defeat. They posed the first real threat when Marc Evans rose well to flick Tierney’s free kick across goal and narrowly wide. Port then threatened and a ball into the box from Josh Davies reached Eilir Edwards who drew a good save from keeper Connor Wearing down to his left. At the other end the dangerous Toby Jones’s angled shot was well saved at his near post by Richard Harvey. Though both sides were looking to attack there were not too many chances with defences holding firm. The best for Port came after 25 minutes when Kristian Pierce’s corner was headed down at the back post and Cai Jones responded well but his shot flew narrowly over the bar. Just after the half hour Llandudno pressure resulted in a good effort from Gareth Evans but Richard Harvey was again equal to the situation. A minute later and Harvey was glad to parry away a strong header from Aaron Pritchard. But despite the constant pace and pressure, an even first half failed to produce a goal.

The end to end play continued in the second half with Port producing an early threat when a Stuart Rogers cross was ably controlled by Josh Davies who turned well but his shot lacked power and Connor Wearing saved. Almost immediately at the other end Tom Dix picked up a loose ball and fired from 20 yards across the face of goal with power and soon after the same player struck the bar with a cross cum shot. Iwan Lewis responded with a good through ball for Port and Wearing was relieved to push away Josh Davies’s shot. A well worked 54th minute Jebb free kick put Gareth Evans in on goal but his weak finish was safely gathered by Richard Harvey. But again Port had a response and Josh Banks’s long cross was lifted narrowly over the bar by Josh Hartrick well placed at the back post. With 20 minutes remaining Wearing dealt with Eilir Edwards’ back post header and later Josh Davies controlled well but the ball across goal was beyond the reach of on rushing forwards. Into the last ten minutes and Llandudno were threatening. Eight minutes to go and Dean Seager found himself through one on one with Richard Harvey, it seemed he must score but Richard Harvey amazingly saved with his legs. That was the decisive moment and though both sides continued to look for a winner a point each seemed to be a fair return for a hard night’s work.

This was a great test for Craig Papirnyk’s developing young squad and once again they past a searching test against a very good Llandudno team. In front of the excellent Richard Harvey the Manchester Two and full back Gwydion Ifan were really outstanding, reading the game so well getting in so many timely tackles and interceptions and distributing accurately in a really exciting competitive game. Tonight the young Port team showed that, as well as playing an attractive passing game, they can battle for the points when necessary

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Stuart Rogers, Iwan Lewis, Kristian Pierce (Josh Hartrick 53’), Cai Jones, Josh Davies, Eilir Edwards (Dave Edwards 76’). Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk, Darren Andrews (gk).

LLANDUDNO: Connor Wearing, Joe Williams, Connor Tierney, Aaron Pritchard, Jake Phillips (Leigh Craven 37’), Tom Dix, Gareth Evans, Danny Hughes, Marc Evans (Dean Seager 72’), Toby Jones, Eddie Jebb (Lee Thomas 61’). Unused sub Connor Shackleton.

Referee: Kevin Parry. Attendance: 187.

Huws Gray Alliance –Saturday, 13 September 2014

CPD Porthmadog.... 4
Josh Davies 11’
Dilan Lomas 45’
Dave Edwards 89, 90’+1

Flint Town United....1
Jamil Adam 27’

What a cracker! It was a pleasure to be at the Traeth this afternoon to see two creative, passing teams, bent on attacking, produce an exciting game with the result in doubt until sub Dave Edwards scored a couple of excellent late goals. Both sides had their periods of domination but Port defended well when they needed to. All five goals were quality with Dilan Lomas’s super piece of skill on the stroke of half-time being one of the best ever goals at the Traeth. The ‘Lomas View’ of the goal was “Like Bergkamp, only better!!” Few will disagree!!

Port were off to an excellent start with Iwan Lewis and Rob Evans dominant in midfield. There were a couple of early well worked opportunities with Cai Jones putting Rob Evans in but his low shot was well saved by Power. A good break by Iwan Lewis to the edge of the box followed but his shot went narrowly wide of the post. But with just 11 minutes on the clock Josh Davies put Port deservedly in front and it was the result of an excellent build up. Kristian Pierce burst to the by-line and his pull back picked out Josh Davies whose low shot nestled in the corner of the net. Following the goal Port continued to create the better chances and Josh Davies met Cai Jones’ low cross but his shot on the turn was well saved by Power. Josh Davies then found Kristian Pierce and his thunderbolt from 20 yards was turned round the post by Power. An extraordinary let off for Flint then produced the equaliser! Kristian Pierce’s left wing corner was deflected against the inside of the post and bounced into the relieved arms of keeper Power. A Flint counter attack was quickly mounted and good work by Adam and Gareth Roberts down the right worked an opportunity for Adam which he took with a quality finish.

This goal gave Flint fresh impetus and, for the first time, they were able to break out of their own half and five minutes on the excellent Adam drew a fine save from Richard Harvey. Skipper Rob Evans then left the field injured and for a time Port lost some of their rhythym. Soon after, it needed a good defensive header from Josh Stadnicki to clear a dangerous Tom Smith cross. Then with time running out in the first half Eilir Edwards’s cross to the near post found Dilan Lomas and aka Bergkamp flicked it up over his shoulder, turned and shot just inside the far post for a super goal. 2-1 at the interval.

The second half was a far more even affair with the visitors enjoying good periods of pressure. Early in the second half Stuart Hayes lifted a right wing cross over the bar from 12 yards. Pressure continued and Richard Harvey went down well at the feet of Jamil Adam. Adam had a good effort blocked following a good move down the right and a thumping 35 yard shot from Murphy was only narrowly wide. But play was end to end now and a low shot from Stuart Rogers for Port was saved by Power and Eilir Edwards had his shot well saved at the near post. At the other end it needed an outstanding Richard Harvey save point blank from Gareth Roberts to keep out what looked like a certain equaliser. Both sides now introduced their subs and once again Craig Papirnyk made his changes pay off. With the 2-1 lead still looking slender two subs combined for the match winner. Josh Hartrick’s brilliant run down the right took him past defenders to the by-line and his cross was drilled low into the net by the on rushing Dave Edwards. Then in added time Dave Edwards put the icing on the cake with an excellent finish having been put through by Eilir Edwards.

A good hard fought three points lifts Port into second place in the table and sets up a top of the clash against Llandudno.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Rob Evans (Stuart Rogers 29'), Iwan Lewis, Kristian Pierce (Josh Hartrick 70’), Cai Jones (Dave Edwards 62’), Josh Davies, Eilir Edwards. Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk, Darren Andrews (gk). Yellow: Josh Hartrick 84’, Eilir Edwards 87’.

FLINT: Elliot Power, Tom Smith (Ieuan Hewitt 81’), Connor Murphy, Lawson Okimeji, Luke Camden, John Hill, Luke Ainscough (Liam Blackburn 64’), Jamie McDonald, Jamil Adam, Stuart Hayes (David Walkwitz 68’), Gareth Roberts. Unused subs: Jordan Beck, Ritchie Walker (gk).

Referee: Liam Gray. Attendance: 162.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 6 September

Llanidloes Town.... 0
CPD Porthmadog... 5
Cai Jones 18'
Josh Stadnicki 18
Josh Davies 21'
Dilan Lomas 55'
Dave Edwards 56'

Three goals in a 7 minute first half spell put this game out of reach for the home side and Port followed this up with two more goals in a minute early in the second half to give them a comprehensive victory. It was a dream return to the club for Cai Jones scoring just 14' into the game with the assist coming from debutant Kristian Pierce.

From the start Port looked the more likely to open the scoring as they controlled the middle of the park, passing the ball around fluently. Jamie Breeze however managed an early break for the home team only to blast his shot over the bar. This proved a prelude to a golden period for Port who went on a burst of 3 goals in the space of 7 minutes. First Rob Evans freed Kristian Pierce down the right and his perfect low cross was rifled in from close range by CaiJones for a typical striker's goal. Just 4 mins to wait for Josh Stadnicki's back post header across keeper Ben Richards meeting Eilir Edwards free kick to make it 2-0. Another 3 mins and it was 3-0 as Josh Davies met another accurate Eilir Edwards free kick to net from close range. The nearest Llani came to scoring came from Matthew Savage who brought a good close range save from Richard Harvey and Jamie Breeze broke free down the left but fired his shot across the face of goal but wide. Port were howver jn full charge passing the ball around with confidence using the whole width of the pitch while Llani relied on the long ball and the physical strength of Jamie Breese and Gareth Mansell at the front. Port could have increased their lead as CaiJones had his shot cleared off the line and Eilir Edwards had his low shot turned round the post. Port were good value for their 3-0 half time lead.

Josh Stadnicki was a huge threat every time he went up for a set piece and 5 mins after the restart he volleyed a right wing cross against the post which then bounced to safety.But just 10 mins into the second period and Port netted twice in a minute. The Manchester Two combined for the 4th goal with Josh Standicki meeting a right wing corner with a header into the danger zone where Dilan Lomas applied the finishing touch. A minute later and and it was 5-0 when a neat flick by Cai Jones sent the speedy Dave Edwards bursting in behind the Llanidloes rearguard and zooming in on goal beating the advancing Richards with a low shot from 18 yds. Twice Josh Hartrick threatened the home goal. First he fired narrowly wide from distance and then at the back post lifted a dangerous Josh Banks cross narrowly over the bar. Dave Edwards then threatened after a good Port build up forcing Richards into a good near post save. Though Port were in complete charge the home side battled away looking for a consolation goal and twice near the end they came close. After 80 mins Breeze burst down the left holding off his marker and crossing low to the far post where Gareth Mansell bursting in struck the side netting. A minute from time and Breeze again chased a long ball,cut inside but lifted his angled shot narrowly over the bar.

An outstanding Port performance where the ingrediqent which has been missing in the last 3 games was well and truly present today GOALS!! The excellent approach play which has been there from the start of the season, today had the desired end product.The icing on the cake was a second successive clean sheet.

PORT: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Rob Evans, Iwan Lewis, Kristian Pierce (Stuart Rogers 67), Cai Jones, Josh Davies (Josh Hartrick 58'), Eilir Edwards (Dave Edwards 46'). Unused subs: Darren Andrews (gk), Gruff Williams. Yellow: Cai Jones 68'.

Referee: Thomas Roberts.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 30 August 2014

CPD Porthmadog... 1
Josh Stadnicki 77’

Guilsfield FC........... 0

Following two narrow defeats, Port chalked up a deserved win at the Traeth, though they were made to work very hard for that victory against a team who defended well and were very strong at the back. It took until the 77th minute before they secured the single goal which gave them the three points and it needed a fine assist from skipper Rob Evans to open the defence for Josh Stadnicki to net from close range.

The game quickly slipped into a pattern that it was to follow throughout the 90 minutes. Port enjoyed the major share of the possession while Guilsfield defended well, defended in numbers, tackled hard and closed down quickly, denying Port the space to create scoring chances. Then when the opportunity arose they aimed to hit Port on the break.

Just five minutes into the game Port worked a good opening with Dave Edwards breaking down the right and finding Josh Hartrick well placed in the box but he was denied a score when keeper Johnston pulled off a fine fingertip save. Port continued to threaten forcing a series of corners which had the visitors defence at full stretch. But having soaked up the early pressure Guilsfield could well have taken the lead when a ball over the top freed Danny Barton and it needed a super one handed save by fit again Richard Harvey to prevent last season’s top scorer opening the scoring. Port then resumed the attack putting Guilsfield under more pressure but the home side were restricted to shots from distance. Josh Hartrick fired one over the bar while Gwydion Ifan sent a screamer across the face of goal. Rob Evans went close with a couple of efforts but that first goal refused to come. Guilsfield all the while seized any opportunities to strike on the break. A good run and shot from Callum Bromley was deflected for a corner while it needed another good save from Richard Harvey to cut out Rhydian Morris’s dangerous cross. Danny Barton’s ball into the box had the home defence at full stretch and it needed a clearance from Josh Stadnicki over his own bar! The half ended with Rob Evans again coming close and Dave Edwards firing an angled shot over the bar. At half-time it remained scoreless.

The second half started with another series of Port corners which failed to produce a goal and when the visitors forced a corner Danny Barton had a powerful shot deflected wide off a teammate. The introduction of Eilir Edwards shortly after the hour mark proved to be a very positive move for Port as last season’s player of the season started creating the space that had previously been lacking. Iwan Lewis then made a good break into the box and his low shot was only narrowly wide of Johnston’s near post. Port now looked the likely team to break the deadlock. After 71 minutes Eilir Edwards lifted a corner across and Josh Stadnicki had his low shot cleared off the line. More Eilir Edwards corners were floated across and when one of these was only partially cleared Rob Evans lifted a perfect ball into the limited space behind the Guils defence and Josh Stadnicki was well placed for a cool finish from close range. Port now looked to increase their lead with Dilan Lomas striking the post in a goalmouth melee and Eilir Edwards firing one across goal but wide of the far post. Josh Davies then came close, meeting a Stuart Rogers corner with a header which had to be cleared off the line. In the dying moments the visitors pushed players forward in a last ditch effort to gain a share of the spoils. It was last chance saloon as Richard Harvey cut out a dangerous added time corner from Mark Davies to make the three points safe.

After the disappointment of the Oval on Wednesday it was good, on this occasion, that the solitary goal was in Port’s favour and delivered the all important three points.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans, Josh Davies, Dave Edwards (Stuart Rogers 77’), Josh Hartrick (Eilir Edwards 62’).Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk, Darren Andrews (gk).

GUILSFIELD: Alistair Johnston, Callum Bromley, Jack Richards, Sean Jones, James Henderson, Robbie James, James O’Reilly, Mark Davies, Rhydian Morris (Dylan Ellis 82’), Gareth Jones (Nathan Leonard 65’), Danny Barton. Unused sub: Mike Parry. Yellow: James O’Reilly 50.

Referee: Martin Roberts (Llangefni). Attendance: 130.

Huws Gray Alliance -Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Caernarfon Town.... 1
Darren Thomas 11’
CPD Porthmadog..... 0

A night of high frustration for Port, conceding a breakaway goal after just 11 minutes, then despite taking the game to Caernarfon and completely controlling the game in the second period the goal their play deserved somehow eluded them. In the second half in particular the home side found themselves hanging on, grateful for any relief and hugely indebted to keeper Paul Pritchard for some excellent saves. But it is goals that win matches and Caernarfon take the three points.

Early play was confined to midfield with both sides sharing possession. Then Kevin Roberts tested Darren Andrews with a shot from 20 yards and at the other end Josh Hartrick broke to the byline on the right and his low cross was blocked for a corner. Caernarfon cleared Iwan Lewis’s corner with a long ball down field. Port were caught light at the back and with Darren Andrews well out of goal Darren Thomas took advantage controlled well and lobbed over the retreating Andrews to score the only goal of the game. After this setback Port allowed Caernarfon to push forward and when Jay Gibbs crossed from the right Carl Owen’s low shot struck the post and was scrambled away. Immediately Rob Evans orchestrated a Port break and Dave Edwards fired across goal but wide. It then required a well timed last ditch tackle from Grahame Austin to keep out Josh Davies. Port were now enjoying a good spell and a great Josh Stadnicki ball put Josh Banks away down the left and his cross found Dave Edwards who just failed to get his shot away. A Rob Evans free kick found Gruff Williams at the back post but he directed his close range header narrowly the wrong side of the post. Caernarfon’s only threat during this period was a Carl Owen effort which did not seriously trouble Darren Andrews. In the latter stages of the half Rob Evans released Gwydion Ifan down the right and Paul Pritchard needed a second bite to cut out the cross. And Pritchard was again in action to keep out a Josh Hartrick effort. At the interval it remained 1-0. .

Port pressured the home defence from the start of the second period. Gwydion Ifan’s right wing cross found Dave Edwards in space in the box but the shot drifted narrowly wide of the angle. Soon after Gwydion Ifan was in the action again and his low angled shot went across the face of goal. Then in a flurry of action there were almost scores at both ends. Chris Williams struck the Port bar and as it came down Darren Andrews was grateful to fall on the ball. Almost immediately Port burst downfield with Josh Davies’ angled shot also striking the bar. Kevin Roberts for the Cofis after 61 minutes had a good cross cut out well by Darren Andrews. From then on in it was all Porthmadog as they moved the ball quickly from midfield into the attacking areas and stretched the home defence. Iwan Lewis, Gruff Williams and Rob Evans were now running the centre of the park but a mixture of resolute defending good fortune and some fine saves from Paul Pritchard kept their goal intact. Pritchard, just after the hour mark, went down at his near post to deny Josh Davies and a minute later an Iwan Lewis effort was only narrowly wide. A couple of Josh Hartrick shots followed one narrowly over the bar and Pritchard again well positioned to save. In the last few minutes Caernarfon had to survive a couple more really hairy moments as Paul Pritchard pulled of a top class save when at full stretch he got a hand a hand to Rob Evans’ goal bound shot. Final frustration came as referee Martin Roberts ignored Port appeals that Stuart Rogers’ left wing corner had been bundled over the line in a goalmouth melee. It was a very relieved Caernarfon team when the ref’s whistle declared that they had survived a battering to collect all three points. .

Disappointment for Port but for Craig Papirnyk this is a work in progress and no follower can fail to be impressed with the quality of the football his players are serving up. The next stage will soon follow and we must show patience.

PORTHMADOG: Darren Andrews, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans(capt), Dave Edwards, Josh Davies(Stuart Rogers 65’)) Josh Hartrick(Craig Papirnyk 82). Unused sub: Eilir Edwards. Yellow: Gwydion Ifan 89’.

CAERNARFON TOWN: Paul Pritchard, Steve Kehoe (Lee McCardle 68’), Chris Williams, Grahame Austin, Gareth Edwards, Darren Murphy, Jay Gibbs, Matty Hurdman, Carl Owen (Cai Jones 65), Darren Thomas, Kevin Roberts. Yellow: Jay Gibbs .

Referee: Martin Roberts (Llangefni). Attendance: 485

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 23 August

Caersws FC......2
John Owen 2’, 21’.
Porthmadog... 1
Josh Stadnicki 46’

Caersws’s Recreation Ground has not been a happy hunting ground for Porthmadog in recent seasons and today proved no different. Conceding an avoidable goal just after just two minutes set the tone for the first half and with the home side adding a second midway through the half Port gave themselves too much to recover from and, despite reducing the arrears almost immediately after the restart in a much improved second half performance, the equaliser eluded them.

Caersws were off to a flying start courtesy of an early goal. It was a poor goal to concede with Port caught out by an innocent looking lob which allowed John Owen in behind the defence on the right of the box. Darren Andrews appeared to have averted the situation but the ball squirmed free allowing Owen a simple tap in. Port could have levelled the scores within moments when Ceri James’s excellent free kick was headed perfectly into the goalmouth where Dave Edwards had only the keeper to beat but failed to apply the finishing touch. Soon after home keeper Hamer had to go down at Dave Edwards’ feet to avert danger. Port were now enjoying plenty of possession and passing the ball around well but the home side defended well with Tom Richards and Graham Jones strong at the heart of their defence. As ever Caersws were a threat on the break. Collister broke down the left but his accurate cross was headed wide by Mark Griffiths. But in the21st minute Caersws extended their lead which came courtesy of a long ball from the back over the Port defence allowing John Owen to control well and run on to score. Port continued to pass the ball around well but without an end product, and the half ended without further goal threats at either end.

Port started the second half strongly and a good move down the right involving Rob Evans and Josh Hartrick with Hartrick’s dangerous cross being scrambled for a corner. Josh Stadniki met Stuart Rogers’ right wing corner with a fine downward header into the corner of the net. Minutes later and Josh Hartrick was involved again and his cross cum shot from the right struck the far post before being cleared. Port pushed forward strongly now searching for an equaliser. Stuart Rogers played a good ball into the box but Josh Davies’ shot was blocked for a corner. As they pushed forward Port became increasingly stretched at the back and Caersws looked to hit on the break. Dave Andrews managed to deflect a Mike Collister effort for a corner and both Iwan Williams and Marc Griffiths had further good opportunities to hit on the counter. When John Owen broke to the byline and crossed, Iwan Williams lifted his shot over the bar. The closest Port came to the equaliser was from a free kick 25 yards out. Ceri James’s well struck effort needed a top class save from Simon Hamer throwing himself across goal to get a hand to it and pushing it for a corner. No more additions to the score and Caersws ran out winners by 2-1.

A depleted Port were undone by a under par opening period and missing three key players made life difficult for manager Craig Papirnyk without the resources on the bench today to influence the outcome.But no time to dwell on the defeat it is on to another tough test at the Oval on Wednesday when Craig will hopefully have a stronger squad at his disposal.

PORTHMADOG: Darren Andrews, Rob Evans(capt), Josh Banks, Josh Stadniki, Gruff Williams, Ceri James (Craig Papirnyk 80), Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers, Dave Edwards, Josh Davies, Josh Hartrick. Unused subs: Eilir Edwards, Dilan Lomas. Yellow: Josh Banks 82, Craig Papirnyk 83.

CAERSWS: Simon Hamer, Jake Parr, Arron Lemon, Iwan Williams (James Coleman 82), Tom Richards, Graham Jones, Graham Evans (Paul Griffiths 27) Jolyon Harries, John Owen, Mark Griffiths, Mike Collister. Unused sub Jack Hughes.

Referee: Ashley Jones (Penycae)

Word Cup - Tuesday 19 August 2014.

Porthmadog ……… 0
TNS ………………… 2
Alex Darlington 38'
Steve Evans 56'

A goal in each half secured TNS’s deserved passage into the 2nd round of the Word Cup in a game of flowing football. Port also earning high marks for their quality contribution to a game where an aimless kick was as rare as a summer snowball.

The only negative in a game played in good spirit, where supporters were well entertained, was the sending off of Gwydion Ifan. A very soft yellow after only 10’ became a dismissal when referee Iwan Griffiths showed a second yellow in the 59th minute and two offences which hardly amounted to a sending off became one. This is very disheartening for clubs working hard to maintain standards with a small squad as Gwydion will now miss out on Saturday’s important league match at Caersws. Insult was added to injury when a deliberate handball on the edge of the box denied Port a shooting chance but the letter of the law was cast aside on this occasion. Such inconsistencies make life difficult for hard working clubs.

The game opened with TNS mainly in charge playing their usual possession football and using the whole width of the pitch. But despite their possession the well organised home defence restricted TNS to shots from outside the box. Quigley cut across the box early on but fired over the bar from 18 yards. Once they settled Port themselves grew in confidence and started building from the back looking to free Josh Davies. In the 22nd minute Darren Andrews in the home goal did well to cut out Quigley’s teasing cross after the winger broke to the byline. Port responded almost immediately and when Stuart Rogers’ free kick was only partially cleared Rob Evans fired low from 20 yards sending Chris Mullock scurrying across his goal. The closest TNS came to opening the scoring was in the 25th minute when Scott Ruscoe’s deep cross from the right was met by Mike Wilde at the back post but his header went over the bar. In the 38th minute TNS broke the stalemate when Alex Darlington picked up a loose pass on the edge of the box and this time he found space and his angled shot went into the net off the far post. The score remained at 1-0 to TNS at the interval. .

The second half opened with TNS building the pressure to extend their lead and Mike Wilde could have done just that but fired wide when well placed. But there was not long to wait for the goal and after Quigley had fired into the side netting in the 52nd minute it was Steve Evans meeting a right wing cross who netted with a back post header to increase the TNS advantage. Port saw their troubles increase just minutes later when Gwydion Ifan received his second yellow for a tackle attempting to stem a TNS break. To their credit the home side did not crumble and in fact the 10 men far from lying down mounted some of their best attacks and could count themselves unfortunate not to have cut the deficit. The pace of sub Dave Edwards was asking some questions of the visitors back line. One good move involving Edwards and Gruff Williams down the left saw Edwards cut past two defenders to reach the byline. The cross was deflected to Gruff Williams who sliced his shot wide. At the other end a good exchange of passes on the edge of the box gave Ryan Edwards a clear shooting chance but he was thwarted by an excellent Darren Andrews save.

The depleted Port team continued to test the TNS defence and an excellent cross from Rob Evans was turned narrowly wide by Josh Banks at the back post. There some excellent runs from Josh Hartrick straight at the heart of the visitors defence and when Port won a corner Josh Stadnicki headed Stuart Rogers’ corner narrowly over the bar. Stadnicki further tested the home keeper with a shot from 15 yards drawing a fine save from Mullock. Late on there were free kicks at either end Darren Andrews making another good save to keep out Alex Darlington and Mullock having to punch away Stuart Rogers’ response.

There were no further additions to the score and a thoroughly enjoyable evening for those who enjoy football of the passing variety came to an end with TNS moving on to the 2nd round of the competition.

PORTHMADOG: 1. Darren Andrews, 2. Gwydion Ifan, 3. Josh Banks, 4.Josh Stadniki, 5. Dilan Lomas,6. Gruff Williams,7. Iwan Lewis,8. Josh Davies(15.Dave Edwards 62’),9.Rob Evans (c), 10.Stuart Rogers,11.Eilir Edwards(Josh Hartrick 11’) Unused sub Craig Papirnyk.
Red cards: Gwydion Ifan 59’ (2nd Yellow: 10’,59’)
Yellow: Rob Evans 55’, Dilan Lomas 87’

TNS: 25.Chris Mullock, 7. Scott Ruscoe, 3. Luke Douglas,16. Connell Rawlinson, 5. Steve Evans (Kai Edwards 68’), 17. Ryan Edwards, 22 Scott Quigley, 18. Mike Wilde, 20. Alex Darlington, 10. Matty Williams (Fisink Hadjari 81), 11. Ryan Fraughan(Ryan Pryce 63’).
Unused subs: 1.Paul Harrison (gk), 23. Aeron Edwards, 21. Adrian Cieslwicz. 9. Greg Draper.
Red: None. Yellow:None
Attendance: 216 Referee: Iwan Griffiths.

Huws Gray Alliance League - Saturday 16 August 2014.

Porthmadog ……… 4
David Edwards ‘8
Gruff J. Williams ’46
Josh Daves ’56, ‘88

Penycae …………… 1
Aaron Edwards ‘12

After an even first half where there was little difference between both sides, Port pushed up the pace after the interval and Penycae couldn’t come up with much in reply to Port’s three second half goals, with Darren Andrews in the Port goal hardly troubled.

After a cagy opening five minutes by both sides, the game soon got into life with opportunities coming at both ends for the remainder of the opening 45 minutes. Iwan Lewis had Port’s first scoring opportunity on five minutes and we didn’t have long to wait for the hosts’ opener through Dave Edwards on 8 minutes. He latched on to an excellent long Dilan Lomas pass from the left. Edwards kept his composure well and passed the ball to the right hand corner of the net past the advancing Adam McGee in the Penycae goal.

The lead, however, was not to last long with Penycae’s equaliser coming only four minutes later through Aaron Edwards who found himself in space on the edge of the Port box and did well to chip the ball over Darren Andrews into the net.

There followed opportunities at both ends with Aaron Edwards coming close on more than occasion. Port’s better chance to extend their lead before the interval probably fell to Josh Davies on 23 minutes, but he couldn’t hit the target and probably should have passed to Iwan Lewis who was in space down the right. There was also an opportunity for Dave Edwards to grab his second on the half hour mark after combining well with Josh Banks down the right but he couldn’t quite get the ball under his control. A minute before the interval, the visitors could have taken the lead through Jack Challoner, but his shot was straight at Darren Andrews who comfortable dealt with it. The other talking point in the first half came when there was a clash of heads between Penycae’s Ben Howarth and Aaron Edwards as they challenged the same ball, but thankfully the incident didn’t turn out to be as nasty as it initially seemed.

From the off, it was clear that the second half was going to be a very different affair, and it took less than a minute for Port to regain the lead through Gruffydd John Williams who had moved up to mid-field due to the half time introduction of Gwydion Ifan at right back and Eilir Edwards. Josh Stadniki flicked on an Eilir Edwards corner at the near post and Gruff John pounced first in the crowded box to make it 2-1.

From that point onwards, Port started to take charge of proceedings. Iwan Lewis had a chance to extend the lead on 53 minutes, and it didn’t take long for Josh Davies to do just that. Three minutes later he latched on to another ball over the top and he kept his composure well to chip the ball into the net over the approaching Adam McGee. Moments later Davies could have grabbed his second after an excellent Ceri James through ball, forcing McGee to make a good save. Eilir Edwards then came close after some good work by Gwydion Ifan and Rob Evans.

We had to wait until the 71st minute for Penycae’s first real chance of the second half, but Adam Bailey’s header from a Nicky Ward corner was well off target. Their other chance of note in the second half came 5 minutes from time after a Ben Howarth cross from the left, but Ceri James managed to get to the ball before David Morley to avert any danger.

Two minutes from time, Port managed to put the tie beyond any doubt, and it was little surprise that Josh Davies, who had been dangerous all afternoon, was the scorer. The creator this time was Eilir Edwards, who passed to Davies at the edge of the box who again chipped the keeper, nestling the ball in the top left hand corner of the net.

An excellent start to the season and to Craig Papirnyk’s reign as Porthmadog manager. The win, particularly on the basis of the second half performance, was thoroughly deserved with any threat from Penycae after the interval being kept to an absolute minimum. Let’s hope that Port can now build on this victory and performance to mount a strong campaign in this year’s Huws Gray Alliance.

Port: Darren Andrews, Gruffydd J. Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadniki, Iwan Lewis (Stuart Rogers), Rob Evans (Captain), Josh Davies, Josh Hartrick (Eilir Edwards), David Edwards (Gwydion Ifan). Sub not used: Craig Papirnyk.

Attendance: 133

Iwan Gareth.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us