---------------- CPD Porthmadog FC - Adroddiad / Match Report
CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Holyhead Hotspurs (h) | Buckley Town (a) | Rhaeadr (h) | Penycae (a) | Caersws (h) | Guilsfield (a) | | Caernarfon (a) | Conwy (a) |

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 03 January 2015

Conwy Borough............... 0

CPD Porthmadog............. 0

Port will be disappointed with just the one point from a game which they dominated throughout. Twice in the last three games they have played out goalless draws and it was again a case of failing to capitalise on good build up play on another heavy pitch. Conwy defended well and in numbers, relying on counterattacks and errors in the slippery conditions to pose occasional threats to the Port goal.

Port’s first threat on goal came after 9 minutes when Cai Jones, breaking down the centre, fed Josh Davies who lifted his shot over the bar. A minute later and a break down the left from Josh Banks finding Josh Davies in the box but the forward’s shot went across the face of goal and crept tantalisingly wide of the far post. Davies, who was in the thick of things, broke to the byline down the right and his dangerous low cross was well cut out by the diving Christian Wright. The persistent Port pressure was relieved temporarily when the speedy Jack Graham made ground down the right before switching the ball inside for player manager Aden Shannon who lifted his shot from 18 yards over the bar. Port pressure continued but the final touch refused to come as Josh Davies raced in on a low Josh Banks cross. A thumping shot from Iwan Lewis was well blocked for a corner as the home team were forced to defend desperately. The closest Port came to that elusive goal came on the stroke of half-time when Josh Davies’s downward header found Josh Hartrick in the box but his well struck shot from 12 yards went inches past Wright’s right hand post. Goalless at the interval.

The home side pushed forward at the start of the second period and Phil Doran from 25 yards forced Richard Harvey into a good save pushing the ball over the bar. Though Port continued to enjoy the bulk of the possession Conwy looked to hit on the break and when Doran broke up field he provided Shannon with a shooting chance but he lifted his shot from 16 yards over the bar. Stuart Rogers then came close for Port when he flicked Gwydion Ifan’s cross on to the roof of the net. In between periods of Port pressure a couple of Phil Doran free kicks posed a threat with Teddy Whelan wide at the back post and Gareth Sudlow heading over the bar when well placed. In the closing stages, urged on by the large travelling support the game was a case of relentless Port pressure with Gwydion Ifan and Rob Evans finding space down the flanks but still the goal refused to come. Rob Evans broke to the byline on the left to cross low but narrowly out of reach of Stuart Rogers sliding in at the near post. Good work by Cai Jones down the right and Josh Davies met his accurate cross with a clean header which forced Christian Wright into a smart save. Wright was again in action as Rob Evans released Josh Davies on the right of the box. The leading scorer cut inside past full back Brown but his low shot was well saved at the keeper’s near post. With time running out Conwy sub Mike Thompson threatened but Richard Harvey went down on the loose ball to relieve the late danger. Referee Ashley blew his final whistle with the final score 0-0.

With the huge advantage they held in both possession and territorially Port will feel dissatisfied with the point, whereas Conwy will be pleased their strong, determined defensive performance gained them a share of the points. It was a case of another hard working team performance in difficult conditions with some excellent individual contributions not getting the return it deserved. On the other hand on a slippery pitch where passes held up in sticky conditions one error could well have decided the fate of all three points.This was Port's 8th clean sheet of the season!

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Iddon Price (Dilan Lomas 49’), Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis (Eilir Edwards 46’), Stuart Rogers, Cai Jones, Josh Davies, Josh Hartrick (Rob Evans 71’). Unused subs: Josh Stadnicki, Dave Edwards. Yellow: Ceri James 83’.

CONWY: Christian Wright, Phil Clarke, Andrew Brown, Matthew Holt, Danny Desormeaux (Teddy Whelan 41’), Gareth Sudlow, Chris Li, Steve Cunningham, Jack Graham, Phil Doran, Aden Shannon (Mike Thompson 76’).Unused subs: Jack Roberts, Callum Parry, Alex Lewis. Yellow: Phil Clarke 41’.

Referee: Ashley Jones (Wrexham) Attendance: 118.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 27 December 2014

CPD Porthmadog............... 1
Stuart Rogers 62’

Caernarfon Town............... 2
Darren Thomas 61’
Jay Gibbs 71’

This keenly contested game was a credit to the Huws Gary Alliance and to football in the area. It provided tremendous holiday entertainment witnessed by a bumper crowd of 537. Overall it was a very even contest with Caernarfon holding the upper hand in the first half but in the second period it was the visitors’ turn to defend as Port took the game to them. Fittingly, given the quality of the play in difficult conditions, it needed a quality goal to win the game and Jay Gibbs supplied this for the Cofis with a superb 71st minute strike.

Both teams had early scoring opportunities with Caernarfon’s leading scorer Jamie McDaid twice being denied in the early stages. First by a superb Gruff Williams tackle and then by an excellent Richard Harvey save. In between these two saves Cai Jones for Port set up Josh Davies for a shot well saved by keeper Paul Pritchard. But Harvey remained the busier of the two keepers and when Darren Thomas burst into the box he was quickly off his line to produce another good save. Soon after McDaid was again in the action with a low cross from the right which was just out of Carl Owen’s reach. Though Port were having a good share of the possession and responding with some good build up play they were unable to really test visitors’ keeper Paul Pritchard but one slick move ended with Cai Jones firing wide of the target. While after 23 minutes at the other end Darren Thomas forced Richard Harvey into a superb save down at his right hand post. Cofi defender Grahame Austin did get the ball into the net after 26 minutes only for it to be disallowed. The nearest the game came to a goal in the first half was a quickly taken Caernarfon free kick which freed Ywain Gwynedd down the right and his far post cross was met by Austin whose header cannoned off the bar. Towards the end of the half Harvey was again in the action saving from Ywain Gwynedd and the Port keeper had played a vital part in ensuring that the game remained scoreless at the interval.

From the start of the second half Port took the game to their opponents with strong attacks down the left. The home side should have gone ahead in the 59th minute when a Stuart Rogers effort was not cleared by the visitors defence and Cai Jones following up had his close range effort blocked on the line. Two minutes later, and against the run of the second half play, Caernarfon opened the scoring. It was a trademark Darren Thomas goal, the type of goal he has often scored in a Port shirt. He cut inside from the left along the edge of the penalty area searching for a gap and when he found one, he fired low just inside Richard Harvey’s right hand post. Port had an immediate response to this quality goal with a fine goal of their own. Josh Banks won the ball on the left and burst forward into space making ground deep into Caernarfon territory before squaring the ball into the run of Stuart Rogers who made ground into the box before firing a fine angled shot past Pritchard into the corner of the net. Both sides now pushed forward looking for a winner and the goal which decided the game caught everyone by surprise. Jay Gibbs won the ball in midfield and with nothing very much on he unleashed a 30 yard effort which rocketed into the net just inside the right hand post with Richard Harvey left scrambling vainly to get across. Port despite this setback went at it again and an excellent shot on the turn from 18 yards by Josh Davies went inches the wrong side of the post with Pritchard beaten. Dave Edwards then breaking in from the right struck his shot into the side netting. Port continued to pile on the pressure to the end and despite forcing a series of late corners the Cofis held out to claim all three points.

Caernarfon held on to record their third victory of the season over their local rivals but over the 90 minutes today Port will feel that they deserved a share of the points. On the day it was two very fine individual goals that won it for the Oval club.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan (Josh Stadnicki 86’), Josh Banks, Ceri James (Rob Evans 55’), Iddon Price, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers, Cai Jones (Dave Edwards 77’), Josh Davies, Eilir Edwards. Unused subs: Dilan Lomas, Josh Hartrick. Yellow: Gruff Williams 53’.

CAERNARFON: Paul Pritchard, Chris Williams, Nathan Craig, Grahame Austin, Gareth Edwards, Jay Gibbs, Kevin Roberts, Ywain Gwynedd (Corey Williams 82’), Carl Owen (Steve Kehoe 73’), Darren Thomas, Jamie McDaid (Matty Hurdman 85’). Unused subs: Jamie Bell, Damien Bialozynsky.

Referee: Tom Roberts. Attendance: 537.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 20 December 2014

Guilsfield FC.................. 0

CPD Porthmadog...........0

The clash between the second and fourth placed clubs failed to live up to its pre-match billing and ended in a disappointing draw. On reflection, the result was not all that surprising considering that the two clubs had previously played two very close games with Port winning the League encounter and the Guils the League Cup tie. Port had considerably more of the play this time with Josh Stadnicki’s header against the bar late on coming closest to breaking the stalemate. In a game where goal scoring chances were at a premium, defences were on top throughout. The very heavy pitch had the last word and both sides had to be satisfied with a point.

The first half had very little to recommend it with the pitch, after such heavy rain, making it difficult for either side to get any passing moves going. The best of the Port attacks came from Iddon Price, switched to full back today, with good breaks down the right and it was from one of these that the only real chance of the opening half came. His cross to the near post for Josh Davies was turned over the bar. Most of Guilsfield’s attacks came from long balls looking to put leading scorer Danny Barton through, or from breaks down the left from Chris Cathrall. The long ball ploy only really worked once with Barton in on goal but he failed to get his shot away and the defence with Stadnicki and Lomas in control clearing their lines. Neither side seemed able to overcome the problems the pitch was setting and though home keeper Littleford had save from Josh Banks and O’Reilly had to nip in to intercept when Josh Davies threatened to put Cai Jones in on goal. It remained goalless at the interval with little to cheer the small crowd.

At the start of the second period Port looked a far livelier outfit and took the game to the opposition. Eilir Edwards’ cross from the left to the back post found Stuart Rogers whose low ball went dangerously close to the stranded Littleford’s post. A good bustling break by Josh Davies was halted by a good Henderson tackle and Iddon Price again found space again down the right and his low cross needed a good diving cut out from Littleford. Another Eilir Edwards corner was headed back into the danger area which Steve Rogers met with a header which drifted wide.

Guilsfield, having survived the early second half attacks pushed forward themselves with full backs Cathrall and Bromley breaking wide to test the Port defence. Following a period of pressure the ball broke for Cathrall whose well struck shot was blocked. Bromley made a break down the right and his cross was well gathered by Richard Harvey in a crowded box. A shot from distance from Aaron Edwards then curled wide of the angle.

Into the final 15 minutes and Port were pushing forward looking for a winner. Eilir Edwards found Dave Edwards with an excellent through ball. The forward raced into the box but had his shot deflected for a corner. In the 83rd minute Port thought they had snatched the victory. Dave Edwards on the left of the box lifted a good cross to the back post for Josh Stadnicki and to the disappointment of the travelling support his clean header struck the crossbar. That was to be the closest either side would come to finding the net. Had Stadnicki netted, it would have been a repeat of his late winner in the corresponding game at the Traeth. Guilsfield’s last opportunity came 4 minutes from time when Mark Davies lifted his free kick to the back post where Aaron Edwards failed to hit the target. The referee blew his whistle on a goalless draw on a day when defences dominated and where control and passing were always difficult given the conditions.

Both sides were probably happy with a point in the end but, with Llandudno and Caernarfon recording convincing wins, it means that both Port and Guilsfield have lost some ground in the race for the title. This makes next Saturday’s Gwynedd Derby a real six pointer.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Gruff Williams 81’), Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Iwan Lewis (Josh Hartrick 78’), Stuart Rogers, Cai Jones (Dave Edwards 64’), Josh Davies, Eilir Edwards. Unused subs: Rob Evans, Gwydion Ifan. Yellow; Eilir Edwards 43’, Ceri James 71’, Josh Banks 86’.

GUILSFIELD: Dave Littleford, Chris Cathrall, Callum Bromley, Greame McGill, James Henderson, James O’Reilly, Nathan Leonard, Jack Richards, Danny Barton, Aaron Edwards, Mark Davies. Subs: Phil Turnbull, Steven Benyon, Mike Parry.

Referee: James Walker. Attendance: 80.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 13 December 2014

CPD Porthmadog............... 2
Ceri James 21’
Josh Davies 32’

Caersws FC.......................... 0

An excellent all round team performance gave Port, what has become during recent seasons, a rare three points against Caersws. Two quality first half goals, when they were very much in charge, was followed by a second half where the defence and Richard Harvey in particular needed to be on top of their game to snuff out a spirited Caersws fight back. But they went on to maintain a clean sheet, their 6th of the season and against a club unbeaten in their last six. Though both teams had chances to add to the score it was the first half efforts of Ceri James and Josh Davies which separated the two teams at the end.

Port were off to a good start keeping possession well and after 7 minutes an opening was worked for Josh Davies whose excellent shot on the turn was well saved by Chris Brown down at his left hand post. Pressure continued on the visitors’ goal and a dangerous ball into the box from Ceri James caused a moment of panic forcing Tom Richards to concede a corner. Caersws responded with a Lemon break and cross to the far post which was headed wide by Graham Evans. A good Port spell followed with Eilir Edwards not far off the mark when he met Stuart Rogers’ deep corner. Soon after Eilir Edwards opened up the Caersws defence but his low inviting cross did not receive the final touch required. With 21 minutes gone Josh Davies was brought down and despite appeals for a penalty referee Mark James blew for a free kick on the edge of the area. As it transpired the kick from the spot was not needed as Ceri James curled an unstoppable free kick shaving the post as it went into the net.

Port were building a fine head of steam now and Eilir Edwards could have added a second when he was put through on goal by a quality cross field pass but the opportunity went away as the winger failed to work the ball on to his trusty left foot. But just after the half hour mark the deserved second goal arrived. A perfectly weighted Stuart Rogers through ball opened the Caersws defence and Josh Davies raced on to it holding off his marker and scoring with low angled shot from 16 yards and taking his season’s tally to 13 league goals. Davies could have added another before half-time receiving from Iwan Lewis but was forced wide and was unable to really test the keeper. The interval came with Port two goals ahead and without being unduly troubled at the back. The liveliest of the Caersws attacks had been provided by Steve Blenkinsop who last week netted four times.

Clearly a few choice words had been spoken in the Caersws changing room at half time as they were out of the blocks from the first whistle and showing far more aggression. Early on Blenkinsop fired a low shot from 18 yards but straight at Richard Harvey. Unlike the first half Richard Harvey was now in the thick of the action cutting out high balls and crosses with a pair of safe hands. He pulled off a super save to keep out a low shot from John Owen after a good Caersws move inspired by Jacob Smith. Though Caersws were now having a far greater share of the play than in the opening half, Port still created numerous chances, one coming to Dave Edwards following some excellent build up play. Cai Jones then put Josh Davies through on goal, with the striker rounding the keeper only to have his shot cleared off the line. Caersws kept at it to the end but despite the pressure the Port defence, backed by the controlling influence of the returning Ceri James, restricted Caersws to what were mainly shots from distance. Late on however one of these needed another excellent Richard Harvey save to keep out a cracking shot on the turn by Mark Griffiths. It was disappointing at the end to see referee Mark James issue two quite unnecessary yellow cards in what had been a competitive and entertaining game.

But this was Port’s day and the three points lift them into fourth place in the table with another big game coming next Saturday at second placed Guilsfield. It was a good day too for manager Craig Papirnyk utilising the strengths of his squad to ring the changes and produce a return to the best of the early season form.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers (Rob Evans 89’), Josh Davies, Dave Edwards (Cai Jones 54’), Eilir Edwards. Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas. Yellow: Stuart Rogers 37’, Eilir Edwards 88’, Rob Evans 90’.

CAERSWS: Chris Brown, Jake Parr, Arron Lemon (Jacob Smith 46’), Mike Collister, Tom Richards, Graham Jones, Joylean Harries, Graham Evans (Iwan Williams 35’), John Owen, Mark Griffiths, Steve Blenkinsop. Unused subs: George Clarke, Ed Clarke. Yellow: Iwan Williams 53’, Chris Brown 57’.

Referee: Mark James. Attendance: 145.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 6 December 2014

Penycae............... 4
Naim Arsan 17’
Asa Hamilton 38’,
Craig Garside 51’
Aaron Simpson 69’

CPD Porthmadog....5
Josh Davies 45’ (p), 47’(p), 62’
Eilir Edwards 90(+1)
Dave Edwards 90(+2)

This fast and furious game played at a 100 mph produced huge amounts of tension and excitement with an unbelievable sting in the tail. From the 17th minute onwards Penycae, apart from two short periods, had been ahead with only a Josh Davies hat trick (2 from the spot) keeping the visitors in the game. Crucially Porthmadog took the lead for the first and only time in the game in the second minute of added time! When Eilir Edwards levelled the scores at 4-4 most Port supporters would have settled for a draw in this frenetic contest, but in the second minute of added time sub Dave Edwards completed the comeback with the late, late winner.

From the off this game was played at top speed with little time to dwell on the ball and with the slippery surface and some big tackles contributing to an exciting, often error strewn game. Gruff Williams early on tested home keeper with a well struck free kick but there was no one on hand to apply a finish to Josh Davies’ downward header. Penycae then enjoyed a good spell of pressure with Richard Harvey down at his near post to save from Arron Williams followed by a Craig Garside effort which flew just wide of the far post. Garside was in the action again and set up a 17th minute chance for Naim Arsan, unmarked in the box and netting from 12 yards.

Scoring chances continued at both ends, Josh Davies burst past the advancing Ashley Roberts only to have his shot diverted for a corner and minutes later the same player had a shot cleared off the line followed by a header which hit the post. Penycae could have added a second just before the half hour when Ben Howarth broke down the right, his cross finding Craig Garside in space on the edge of the box but the experienced midfielder screwed his shot wide. Cai Jones for Port headed over the bar but with 38 minutes gone Penycae went further ahead. The pacy Naim Arsan broke down the right and his low cross was met by Asa Hamilton at the back post to make it 2-0. Then in the final minute of the half, Port received a lifeline when referee Dan Fogarty pointed to the spot for a pushing offence in a crowded box. Josh Davies struck a low spot kick wide of Ashley Roberts’ right hand. 2-1 at the interval.

For the second half Port introduced Stuart Rogers for the injured Rob Evans and he went on to have a big influence on the game. Port mounted an early attack and a scramble followed in the Penycae box with the referee again pointing to the spot for a push in the crowded area. Josh Davies repeated the dose putting the ball into the same corner of the net. But parity did not last as within five minutes the home team were ahead again. A long ball from the back did not seem to carry much threat but defensive dithering allowed Craig Garside in to take advantage with a close range finish. The home side continued to press and Richard Harvey pulled off a good save to deny Arron Williams and this was followed by efforts from Arsan and Hamilton. But two minutes past the hour and Port were level again. Pinball action in the Penycae penalty area and following a series of blocks Josh Davies struck again for his hat trick goal with a shot from 10 yards. Again the lead was short lived as Naim Arsan’s deep corner was headed back into the goalmouth for Aaron Simpson to score with a close range header.

Surely this was the end of the scoring but in the closing stages the visitors upped their game with Rogers prompting from midfield and second sub Hartrick a real threat with his direct runs at the defence. Now also Iwan Lewis for the first time was finding more space to make his runs. Twice keeper Roberts did well to keep out strong headers from Cai Jones and Iwan Lewis. Rogers played in Eilir Edwards but his shot went over the bar. Into added time and Eilir Edwards this time made no mistake when Dilan Lomas flicked on a Rogers lob into his path. The scores were level but the action was not over, for a minute later Iwan Lewis broke clear and squared the ball for 3rd sub Dave Edwards to score the winner and complete the late, late show!

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Gruff Williams, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki (Josh Hartick 57), Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Stuart Rogers 46), Cai Jones (Dave Edwards 77’), Josh Davies, Eilir Edwards. Unused sub: Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Iwan Lewis 50’. Eilir Edwards 72’.

PENYCAE: Ashley Roberts, Ben Howarth, Christian Cooke, Aaron Simpson, Nicky Ward, Ian Williams, Asa Hamilton, Craig Garside, Naim Arsan, Paul Mazzarella. Subs: P Hope, D Holland, Connor Kendrick. Yellow: Nicky Ward 23.

Referee: Dan Fogarty. Attendance: 78.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 22 November 2014

CPD Porthmadog... 2
Cai Jones 11’
Josh Stadnicki 25’

Rhayader Town ..2
Jean Luc Alvarez 49’
Sean Powell 86’

A goal four minutes from time secured a point for Rhayader in a game which Port had dominated from the start. Failure to capitalise on a perfect start and kill the game off kept alive visitors’ hopes that there was something in it for them. After two early goals had put Port in the driving seat, they inexplicably took their foot off the accelerator and spurned some excellent scoring opportunities. Then in the second half despite long periods of pressure failed to score the goal that would have made the game safe. Rhayader, despite playing most of the game on the back foot, kept themselves in the game and in the second half took both of the chances they created.

The game was almost off to a dramatic start as first Eilir Edwards’ right wing corner after two minutes was flicked on to the bar by Josh Stadnicki before being scrambled clear. Then Savage, for Rhayader broke away down the right, reached the byline but his low cross evaded everyone. Following this response it was Port who settled best into the game and put the home defence under pressure. It was no surprise when Cai Jones rose well in the box to meet Eilir Edwards’ cross and head out of the reach of keeper Luke Evans to open the scoring. This was the ideal start and Port continued to threaten. Cai Jones, looking comfortable in a deeper role, slipped Dave Edwards in on goal but keeper Evans was out quickly to smother the shot. Play was then held up for an extended period as Joe Wozencraft needed treatment on the pitch before being conveyed to hospital with a dislocated shoulder. All at Port wish him a speedy recovery. Not long after play resumed, Port doubled their advantage and Eilir Edwards again provided the assist this time for Josh Stadnicki who rose at the back post to head across the keeper into the net for his 4th of the season. Port should have gone further ahead a minute later when another Eilir Edwards cross was headed inches over the bar by Josh Davies. Three minutes later and an on fire Eilir Edwards laid on a golden opportunity for Dave Edwards whose shot went the wrong side of the post with only the keeper to beat. Gradually player manager Dylan McPhee’s exhortations began to bear fruit and Rhayader showed more bite and started to build attacks from the back. Sean Powell, for the visitors, latched on to a stray pass and broke goalwards to send a shot just outside the upright. But it was Cai Jones who came close just before the interval with a header which scraped over the bar. 2-0 at the half way.

It took Rhayder just four second half minutes to cut the deficit. A deep Matt Lewis cross from wide on the right was met by Alvarez at the back post heading across Richard Harvey into the net. Harvey was soon in the action again saving well a Tyrone McFadden free kick. But as in the first half it was Port who enjoyed the possession and were camped in the visitors’ half for long periods yet failed to open them up as Rhayader defended in numbers. Port pushed forward with wave after wave of attack. Iwan Lewis and Josh Hartrick combined well down the right with Dilan Lomas meeting Lewis’s cross with a header just over the bar. Hartrick then fed Lomas on the edge of the box and the shot was only narrowly past the post. With 15 minutes remaining Cai Jones rose at the back post to meet Eilir Edwards’ corner only to see the ball strike the post. Dilan Lomas then tested keeper Luke Evans with well struck shot from 20 yards. But so long as Port failed to nail the vital third goal Rhayader remained in with a chance of a point and home supporters worst fears were realised when an excellent ball from midfield opened up the Port defence and Sean Powell took his chance well to level the scores. When the final whistle was blown Port were left to wonder how they allowed the points to escape.

For the first time this season Port are having a poor run of results. Clearly they are missing the presence of Ceri James but they now have a week off to regroup and go again. The margins between a disappointing draw and a handsome victory are often very small and that was the case today.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Iddon Price, Josh Stadnicki, Rob Evans (Dilan Lomas 55’), Iwan Lewis, Cai Jones, Josh Davies (Stuart Rogers 81’), Dave Edwards (Josh Hartrick 65’). Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk.

RHAYADER: Luke Evans, Robbie Owen, Tyrone McFadden, Joe Wozencraft (Jordan McFadden 18’), Gavin Samuel, Sean Powell, Dylan McPhee, Nefyn Savage, Jean-Luc Alvarez, Matt Lewis, Tom Wozencraft. Subs: Keegan Bradley, Brian Kirkham. Yellow: Gavin Samuel 45’, Sean Powell 65’.

Referee: Mark James. Attendance: 129.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 15 November 2014

Buckley Town............... 2
Danny Sullivan 52’
Phil Molyneux 55’

CPD Porthmadog........... 1
Josh Davies 62’ (pen)

In a tough, hard contest Buckley Town deservedly took the points to leapfrog Port in the table. A purple patch early in the second half saw the home team score two crucial goals in the space of three minutes. Port then cut the deficit with a Josh Davies penalty and, for the last 30 minutes, put Buckley under pressure but the home team defended well and held on in a tense final period.

The home side started strongly putting the Port defence under some very heavy pressure especially from set pieces. Three times in the early stages Port were indebted to keeper Richard Harvey for outstanding saves. Buckley’s aerial threat was apparent from the first corner after 7 minutes when Danny Sullivan’s clean downward header was kept out by a magnificent Richard Harvey save. Three minutes later Harvey was again in action punching a well struck free kick by Owen Davies round the post. A minute later and another Kyle Reid corner was met by Lee Reynolds whose close range header was pushed over bar by Harvey. After this Port gradually stabilised things but they found it difficult to slot into their normal passing game on a heavy slippery surface. On 16 minutes a slick Port move saw Cai Jones put Josh Banks into space but as the back was about to unleash a shot, a great defensive tackle halted him. On the heavy surface both sides made considerable use of long balls with the home side forcing several more corners but this without the end product. Towards the end of the half Port twice created good chances. Breaking down the left Josh Banks found Stuart Rogers in the box but the shot went well over the bar. A minute later and another well worked Port move saw Josh Hartrick put Cai Jones in on goal but keeper Paul Turner pushed away the powerful shot to safety. Half time was reached with the score rather surprisingly remaining 0-0.

Buckley came flying out of the blocks for the second period. A minute in and Davidson fired an angled shot across the Port goal and four minutes into the half pressure had earned them a penalty when Lee Davey was brought down. Kyle Reid’s low spot kick struck the outside of the post and went for a goal kick. This failure seemed to urge the home team on and three minutes later Phil Molyneux broke down the right and cut inside to unleash a powerful shot which Richard Harvey did well to keep out, but Danny Sullivan followed up for a close range finish. Three minutes on and the Bucks had doubled their advantage. Again it was Phil Molyneux coming in from the right and this time scoring himself from a narrow angle. With the game slipping away from Port, Iwan Lewis broke dangerously from midfield and into the box where he was brought down by Kyle Reid sliding in. Again referee J A Jones pointed to the spot. Josh Davies stepped up and stroked it home as Turner dived the wrong way. This was a lifeline and for the rest of the game it was Port piling on the pressure and for the first time in the game getting their passing together. The introduction of Eilir Edwards added pace to the Port play and Buckley were being pushed back and forced to defend. Gruff Williams burst into the box down the right on 68’ and his shot on the run was only narrowly over the bar. But despite the possession and heavy pressure Port came up against some resolute home defending and clear efforts on goal were kept to a minimum. A good late effort resulted from a cross field ball from Eilir Edwards with Josh Davies breaking into the box but Turner saved at his near post. Buckley could have made it safe five minutes from time when Dilan Lomas slipped on the greasy surface but this time Molyneux fired over the bar. When the referee blew his final whistle Port could have few complaints at the result.

It was a missed opportunity to lose with Llandudno beaten today by Guilsfield. But things remain tight in the top five so it’s on to the next at home to Rhayader.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams (Josh Stadnicki 75’), Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas, Iwan Price, Rob Evans (Gwydion Ifan 67’), Stuart Rogers, Cai Jones, Josh Davies, Josh Hart (Eilir Edwards). Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Josh Banks 10’, Josh Davies 64’, Gwydion Ifan 77’.

BUCKLEY TOWN: Paul Turner, Kyle Reid, Corey Smart, Tommy Holmes, Dave Bryan, Owen Davies, Danny Sullivan, Lee Reynolds, Lee Davey, Ryan Davidson, Phil Molyneux. Subs: Rhys Pierce, James Gambino, Terry Pughe, R. Swift. Yellow: Danny Sullivan 7’.

Referee: JA Jones (Mold)

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 08 November 2014

CPD Porthmadog... 3
Ceri James 57’(p)
Alex Jones 72’ (og)
Stuart Rogers 84’

Holyhead Hotspurs.0

Once again Port left it to the second half to claim the three points, to turn their domination into a victory and move back to 2nd place in the table. All square at the interval despite the huge advantage territorially and in possession, it took a cast iron penalty decision to turn the game in Port’s favour a quarter of an hour into the second period. An own goal and a Stuart Rogers cracker completed the scoring in a game where the visitors, who have been on a good recent run, were unable to mount a serious threat on Richard Harvey’s goal.

Port were off to a good start, keeping the ball well and mounting a series of attacks. Josh Hartrick had an early shot which failed to hit the target and 10 minutes into the game keeper Carl Jones was forced to push a threatening Ceri James free kick over the bar. The best early chance fell to Eilir Edwards, after Josh Davies had found him well placed in the box 15 yards out, but the shot went narrowly the wrong side of the post. Port attacks were unrelenting as Ceri James tested the keeper with a low shot and Cai Jones touched a low Josh Davies cross past the post. Just past the half hour mark Port found the net when Gruff Williams got a clean header on Eilir Edwards’ corner, but referee Iwan Griffiths blew up for a foul in the box. Josh Hartrick’s cross then found Cai Jones at the back post but the resultant header was saved by the keeper. The Hotspurs were forced to defend for most of the half but they did manage a couple of breaks and from one of these Rhys Roberts broke to the edge of the box but his shot went straight at Richard Harvey. Just after the half hour mark Julian Williams received a ball in from the right and from the edge of the box forced Richard Harvey into a good save. A few minutes later Roberts again cut in from the left but fired across the face of goal. When the Hotspurs did break out they found the new central defensive partnership of Dilan Lomas and Iddon Price difficult to breakdown especially with Ceri James, available again, and covering and creating in front of them. Amazingly 0-0 at half-time.

At the start of the second period Craig Papirnyk introduced Iwan Lewis and Port continued to dominate but still found it difficult to break down a team set on defending in numbers. A deserved penalty kick broke the deadlock with Josh Hartrick on a dangerous run into the box being pulled down as he threatened the Hotspurs goal. Ceri James stroked the 58th minute spot kick past Carl Jones and at last Port were ahead. The only response the Hotspurs were able to muster were a couple of shots from Kenleigh Owen which forced Richard Harvey to make saves. However with the visitors no longer able to sit back, Port were finding more space and a cross from the left found Josh Davies in the box but the shot was delayed and Carl Jones saved. Davies soon made up for his miss as he was instrumental in the own goal which came after 73 minutes as he fired a low cross with power into the goal mouth and Alex Jones’s touch put it into his own net. Port were now well on top, Cai Jones fired a free kick at keeper Jones and then lifted a shot over the bar after a good turn in the box. The game was made safe after 85 minutes with a quality move and a top class finish from Stuart Rogers following a good exchange of passes down the left.

Craig Papirnyk rang a few changes for this afternoon’s clash, both in personnel and positional and the result was a return to winning ways. A key fixture next weekend waits, against a revived Buckley Town.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Dilan Lomas, Iddon Price, Gwydion Ifan (Stuart Rogers 63’), Josh Hartrick, Cai Jones, Josh Davies (Dave Edwards 84’), Eilir Edwards (Iwan Lewis 46’). Unused subs: Josh Stadnicki, Rob Evans.

HOLYHEAD HOTSPURS: Carl Jones, Dan McGinness, Kenleigh Owen, Dean Garmey, Alex Jones, Rhys Roberts, Mike Kelly, Gareth Parry (Martin McClymont 76’), Julian Williams, Phil Williams (G Jones Evans 67’), Ryan Jones (Mike Edwards 61’). Unused sub Merfyn Williams (gk)

Referee: Iwan Griffiths. Attendance: 128.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us