---------------- CPD Porthmadog FC - Adroddiad / Match Report
CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Mold Alex (a) | Buckley (h) | Rhaeadr (a) | Conwy (a) | Dolgellau XI (a) |

Friendly Saturday 4 July 2015

Dolgellau XI................1
CPD Porthmadog.......1

It was most definitely a game of two halves as Porthmadog took to the field for their first pre season fixture.

With familiar faces and new, Port started very brightly and as expected controlled the tempo of the game.

Many chances were created due to creativity of the front players, in particular Leon Newell. It was great to see Leon back in a Port shirt and his link up play with Cai Jones was very good considering it was their first game together.

Unfortunately Port were unable to make the possession and chances count which gave the home team more belief that they could cause problems. Richard Harvey had to be on his guard on many occasions and made some fantastic saves.

It wasn't until mid way through the first half that the deadlock was broken. A corner from the right hand side was delivered by Eilir Edwards direct into the six yard box and unfortunately for the Dolgellau XI the ball struck one of the defenders and over the line.

As it was a charity/friendly fixture, many changes were made throughout the game and in the second half Port never really got going. The quality of pass and tempo dipped slightly and the Dolgellau XI took advantage and created problems for Portís back line.

Dolgellau XI equalised ten minutes from the end. It was a great finish and was deserved for the tenacity and effort shown by the Greg Smithies team.

A disappointing result but many positives to take from the game. Fitness levels improved, new faces blending in, especially 17 year old James Morgan showing great promise.

Thanks to Guy Handscombe for the report

Huws Gray Alliance -Wednesday, 18 March2015

CPD Porthmadog... 3
Cai Jones 24’
Josh Davies 63’, 88(p)

Conwy Borough.......0

The curtain came down on Port’s 2014/15 season with a second victory in the space of four days. Port dominated possession and territory throughout with Conwy struggling to get any real foothold in the game. Cai Jones and Josh Davies helped each other to put Port two goals ahead with Josh adding a third from the spot sealing a comfortable win and crowning an outstanding season for the 20 year old striker, bringing his personal goal tally to 22 goals. Port’s ‘Player of the Season’, keeper Richard Harvey, meanwhile had a very quiet evening viewing most of the proceedings from afar.

Port were on the attack from the start and in the fifth minute Josh Davies’s back post header flew wide of the. They could have gone ahead three minutes later when keeper Christian Wright failed to hold Rob Evans’s low shot but recovered well to deny Cai Jones following up. Conwy were also looking to pass the ball around on an excellent surface in ideal weather conditions and a good move after 15 minutes allowed Chris Rowntree to fire a low shot narrowly wide of the target. But after 24 minutes Port took a deserved lead when Josh Davies raced on to an excellent ball from deep by Dilan Lomas and squared it for Cai Jones to find the net with a low shot on the turn from 10 yards. There were plenty of further chances for Port to extend their lead. Cai Jones cut inside from the left but failed to hit the target. Later Stuart Rogers, prominent in midfield, broke well into the box and was unlucky not to score with an excellent curling shot across the goal to the far post. Pressure continued to build as keeper Christian Wright stopped a Josh Davies back post header and another excellent save to keep out a shot from the same player. Just before the interval Josh Stadnicki met a Stuart Rogers free kick and was unlucky when his header struck the foot of the post. Half-time arrived with Port, despite their pressure, just the one goal to the good.

The second half, despite a couple of early corners for the visitors, continued much the same as the first with Port in control. Josh Hartrick and early second half sub Gruff Williams combined well down the right but the latter’s powerful shot went over the bar. Despite all their possession it took Port until the 63rd minute to increase their lead. It came as a result of a good break by Cai Jones who burst into the box on the left and was very unlucky when his angled shot hit the foot of the post but strike partner Josh Davies was on hand to net his 20th league goal of the season. More chances were created as Cai Jones found space in the box only to have his shot blocked and Iddon Price struck well but straight at keeper Wright . Conwy were rarely able to break out of their own half and were indebted to their young keeper who pulled off another good save low at his right hand post to deny Cai Jones who was always in the thick of the action. With both sides looking to be settling for a 2-0 scoreline Josh Davies got in behind the Conwy defence and his angled shot was only kept out by a defender’s hand. Referee Tom Roberts pointed to the spot and up stepped Josh Davies to strike powerfully wide of keeper Wright and make the final score a deserved 3-0 –it could well have been more.

Good to end the season on a high note in what has been one of re-building,with the foundations being laid for a serious challenge on the title in 2015/16. Well done Paps and the players.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan (Gruff Williams 46’), Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas, Josh Stadnicki, Rob Evans (Iddon Price 50’), Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers (Dave Edwards 72’), Cai Jones, Josh Davies, Josh Hartrick. Unused subs Craig Papirnyk, Gerwyn Jones.

CONWY BOROUGH: Christian Wright, Charlie Nicholson, Luke Douglas, Jack Rowlands, Mattie Holt, Chris Rowntree, Lee Craven, Tom Rooney (Callum Parry 72’), Lee McElmeel, Jack Roberts, Alex Lewis. Unused sub: Aden Shannon.

Referee: Tom Roberts (Mold). Attendance: 135

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 14 March 2015

Rhaeadr ...................1
David Easthope 86’

CPD Porthmadog......4
Gruff J Williams 30’
Josh Davies 48’
Stuart Rogers 55’
James Papirnyk 87’

It proved a long but fruitful journey for Porthmadog, who today got back nearer to the form shown before the turn of the year. A goal up at the interval they went on to control the second half and two early second half goals put Port very much in the driving seat and despite a late consolation for the home team it was Port’s day and they ran out clear and well deserved winners.

The home side started well stretching the Port defence with pacy attacks and in the 7th minute a well timed tackle by Ceri James was needed just as Jean-Luc Alvarez was about to pull the trigger. Gradually Port settled and after 16 minutes a Cai Jones cross from the right found Josh Hartrick inside the box but the shot went over the bar. Soon after it needed an excellent save from home keeper Luke Evans to touch a goal bound cracker from Josh Davies over the bar. A minute later and Josh Davies was denied again when he met a Rob Evans cross, only to see his header go inches the wrong side of the post. But Port were certainly not getting things their own way at this stage as they were tested by some well worked Rhaeadr attacks and it needed good anticipation from Richard Harvey at his near post to keep out a Gethin Jones header. Soon after the home side won a free kick 20 yards out but David Easthope’s shot went narrowly wide of Richard Harvey’s right hand post. Then with half an hour gone, Gruff Williams’ free kick struck the back of the net from 25 yards keeping up an excellent dead ball scoring record. Port were now exerting more control and towards the end of the half the hard working Josh Hartrick drew a good save from keeper Luke Evans. At the interval Port were a goal to the good in what had been an open first half.

Rhaeadr went on an early attack looking to level the scores but Easthope’s well struck shot went straight at Richard Harvey. But Port responded immediately with Iwan Lewis and Rob Evans back at their best having now recovered from their injuries. Three minutes into the second period an excellent Port move involving six or seven passes culminated with a quality cross from Iwan Lewis to the back post where Josh Davies rose well to head back across the goal finding the corner of the net. A real striker’s goal took the young forward up the 20 goal mark for the season. Well done Josh!

Port did not need reminding that they had thrown away a two goal lead against Rhaeadr at the Traeth but this time it took just seven more minutes of Port pressure to score a third and decisive goal. Stuart Rogers was the scorer an immediate response having come on as sub. He raced into the box onto Cai Jones’s through ball to finish from close range. Port were now controlling the possession with Ceri James orchestrating from midfield and there could have been more goals. Rob Evans broke to the byline and Josh Davies at the near post had his shot deflected for a corner. Twice Dave Edwards, another who had come on as a sub, threatened the home defence with good breaks down the left. First he found Cai Jones at the back post only for Luke Evans to pull off a point blank save. A minute later and Edwards cut in from the left and his shot from a narrow angle was parried away by keeper Evans at full stretch. A third sub James Papirnyk then threatened only to have his well struck shot deflected for a corner. But with four minutes remaining the home side earned themselves a consolation when, following a free kick on the left, the ball was worked across to David Easthope who netted with an excellent low shot from the edge of the box. But even the consolation’s effect was wiped out when a minute later James Papirnyk put Cai Jones in behind the home defence but the forward was again denied a goal when keeper Luke Evans got a hand to the ball. Cai had certainly deserved a goal for his hard working performance but in the event all was not lost as young Wales Academy international James Papirnyk had continued his run into the box to net his first goal for Port from close in.

This was Port’s best all round team performance for some time, completing a sixth win of the season on the road. It looked odds on that Richard Harvey and his defence would complete their tenth clean sheet only to be denied by a late consolation. Back at the Traeth on Wednesday to hopefully end on a high note.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan (Stuart Rogers 52’), Josh Banks, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis (Dave Edwards 67’), Rob Evans, Cai Jones, Josh Davies, Josh Hartrick (James Papirnyk 74’). Unused sub. Craig Papirnyk.

RHAEADR: Luke Evans, Robbie Owen, Nefyn Savage, Gareth Hughes, Mike Watkins, Christian Jones, Tom Rowlands, Sean Powell, Gethin Jones, Jean-Luc Alvarez, David Easthope. Subs: Cavin Samuel, Joe Wozencraft, Tom Wozencraft, Dylan McPhee.

Referee: Martin Williams (Wrexham) Attendance: 63.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 07 March 2015

CPD Porthmadog.......... 1
Josh Hartrick 76’

Buckley Town ............... 2
Glenn Donaldson 14’
Phil Molyneux 48’

Port’s run of poor results against bogy team Buckley Town continues. A goal early in each half proved enough for the visitors to take the points and despite a strong second half rally, Buckley hung on though needing to make some desperate clearances as Port threw caution to the wind in an effort to equalise.

Port posed a threat after just two minutes when good work by Stuart Rogers created an opening for Josh Davies but his shot was screwed wide. Following this early threat it was the visitors who looked the more likely to get an early breakthrough. Buckley forward Donaldson was looking lively and his shot on the turn was not far off the target. Soon after, Reid’s free kick was headed back into the goal area but Reynolds fired wide. But after 14 minutes Buckley went ahead. It came after Rob Evans had drawn a good save from Buckley keeper Ben Jones. A long ball followed hoisted from the back to catch out the home defence, allowing Glen Donaldson to burst forward on goal and go on to chip the advancing Richard Harvey for the first goal. The visitors could have gone further ahead on 25 minutes when a Sullivan shot was scrambled off the line straight to Molyneux who should have scored. Gradually Port got back into the game and Josh Davies went close with a header and Cai Jones, well placed breaking into the box, shot straight at Ben Jones. Iwan Lewis then headed Stuart Rogers’ corner over the bar and keeper Jones needed to react quickly when Rob Evans’ shot took a deflection. But the best Port chance came just before the interval when Cai Jones met a Stuart Rogers corner but his downward header took a bounce over the bar. 0-1 at the interval.

Buckley started the second period strongly and within three minutes they had doubled their advantage. Adam Eden broke at pace down the left whipping a low ball across the face of the Port goal for Phil Molyneux, breaking in at the back post, to finish clinically from close range. Rob Evans responded for Port forcing Ben Jones into a good diving save and the same player opened up the Buckley defence finding Iwan Lewis in the box but the advancing Ben Jones saved well. Port continued to pressure the visitors defence with high tempo play for the first time in the afternoon with Rob Evans and Iwan Lewis prompting well from midfield.Josh Hartrick started a move which saw Josh Davies slip Cai Jones in behind the Buckley defence but, with only the keeper beat, he could not direct his shot wide of him. Buckley remained a threat on the break with their slick passing and movement and when Donaldson crossed for Reynolds, it needed a top class save from Richard Harvey to smother a point blank shot. The game had now become very open and more goals seemed likely with Cai Jones linking up play well for Port at the front. 76 minutes had gone when Port reduced the arrears. Josh Hartrick got a foot to the ball in a strong tackle inside the Buckley penalty area sending the ball racing goalwards to beat a surprised Ben Jones. Port now scented there was something in the game for them and threw everything into all out attack. Dave Edwards struck a shot into the side netting and a screamer narrowly over the bar and a Josh Davies header flew wide. The visitors’ goal was now under siege and when Rob Evans crossed near post Ben Jones brilliantly kept out Stuart Rogers’ goal bound volley. But for all the late pressure the Buckley defence held out, sometimes miraculously!

An entertaining game, really exciting in the closing stages with a penalty appeal, a yellow card for time wasting and late goalmouth scrambles.Both teams had looked to play an attacking game throughout with the quality of the passing and movement a credit to the Huws Gray Alliance. For the second consecutive game Port were made to pay for a slow start and for all their late efforts could not make up the lost ground.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan (Josh Hartrick 49’), Josh Banks, Dilan Lomas (Dave Edwards 72’), Gerwyn Jones, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers, Cai Jones, Rob Evans (Josh Stadnicki 87’). Unused subs: James Papirnyk, Craig Papirnyk.

BUCKLEY: Ben Jones, Kyle Reid, Tommy Holmes, Dave Bryan, Jack Jones, Tegid Lloyd, Danny Sullivan, Lee Reynolds (Rhys Peers 80’) , Glenn Donaldson (Jay Harkings 90’), Phil Molyneux, Adam Eden. Unused subs: J Gambino, Tom Taylor, Richard Swift. Yellow: Danny Sullivan 77’, Ben Jones, 88’, Tegid Lloyd 90’.

Referee: G W Jones (Bontnewydd). Attendance 142.

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 28 February 2015

Mold Alex ..............2
Lewis McNally 16’
John McAuliffe 22’

CPD Porthmadog......2
Josh Davies (p) 44’
Iwan Lewis 76’

This exciting and tense encounter between two sides looking to play a passing game ended all square after 90 minutes. The home side established an early two goal advantage in a strong first half performance whereas Port were pleased to keep themselves in the game with an vital goal just before the interval. In the second half it was a case of wave after wave of Port attacks with the home team battling to hold on.

Port’s first goal after 44 minutes proved to be a highly controversial moment in the game. Josh Davies was put clean through with only the keeper between him and a goal. But as he looked to put the ball in the net he was brought down by keeper John Burns. Referee Martin Roberts pointed to the spot but, despite the fact that a clear scoring opportunity had been denied, he only showed Burns a yellow card. This decision influenced the result with John Burns alone standing between Port and a late victory.

Port had the first opportunity of the game after only 6 minutes when Ceri James put the ball behind the Alex defence for Josh Davies to run on to but John Burns saved well with his legs. Later Iwan Lewis came close when his cross cum shot went dangerously close to the far post. Gradually however Mold got themselves into the game with the probing McDowell proving a threat to the home defence. With 15 minutes gone he intercepted a loose pass and broke into the box on the right and sent an angled shot only inches wide of the far post. But the pressure told a minute later when Lewis McNally received the ball in space down the left and crossed to the far post where McDowell netted from close range. The home side continued to threaten and McDowell’s low cross stretched the Port defence who were relieved to scramble the ball away. But it was not long before Mold extended their lead when an exchange of passes opened up the Port defence and an excellent through ball found John McAuliffe who fired a 15 yard shot just inside Richard Harvey’s right hand post. After these setbacks Port fought their way back into the game and Dave Edwards fired a good opportunity over the bar after Josh Davies had chested down Gruff Williams’ cross. Two minutes later and keeper Burns was forced to punch away a Dave Edwards effort straight to Stuart Rogers whose volley went inches over the bar. Then with half time looming Josh Davies was brought down and took the spot kick himself. Though keeper Burns managed to get a hand to it he failed to keep it out giving Josh his 18th league goal of the season. 2-1 at half-time.

From the start of the second half Port were on the attack enjoying huge amounts of possession putting the determined home defence under heavy pressure. Mold Alex in turn defended well and looked to hit Port on the break with speedy counter attacks. A few minutes into the half Josh Banks met a Stuart Rogers corner with a good header which went narrowly over the bar. Soon after Josh Davies slipped Stuart Rogers through but the shot went straight at the keeper. Mold were quick to counterattack when the opportunity arose and Richard Harvey needed to go down well to stop Aaron Stafford. But play was largely in the home half and it needed a top class save from Burns to keep out Rob Evans following a good run along the edge of the box. The Port equaliser came after Richard Harvey had halted a dangerous Mold attack and instigated a break downfield. The ball was worked into the home penalty area and Port capitalised on rare hesitation in the Mold defence for Iwan Lewis to net from close range. Port were now scenting three points. Twice in the late stages Mold were indebted to their keeper saving a Josh Banks pile driver and incredibly with his legs from Gruff Williams following excellent build up play. But despite all the second half pressure Port had to be satisfied by the one point.

An excellent enjoyable game -the proverbial game of two halves- with Alex, despite their early two goal lead, the happier of the two teams at the end.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Gerwyn Jones, Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers, Rob Evans (James Papirnyk 78’), Josh Davies, Dave Edwards (Cai Jones 52’). Unused subs: Josh Stadnicki, Gwydion Ifan, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Ceri James 55’, Josh Davies 80’, James Papirnyk 90’.

MOLD ALEX: John Burns, Jamie Smith, Lewis McNally, Danny Dalton, Darren Torpley, Alex Ahmed, Tom Murray (Ross Ankers 73’), John McAuliffe (Dale Davies 73) , Aaron Stafford, Ross McDowell, Paul Lindfield (Matty Lewis 80). Unused subs: Shaun McCartney.

Referee: Martin Roberts (Llangefni). Attendance: 57.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us