CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Mountain Rangers (h) | Saltney (a) | CPD Y Felinheli (a) | CPD Llanberis (h) | Blaenau Ffestiniog (a) |
| Tywyn Bryncrug (h) | Llanrwst (h) | Rhostyllen (a) | Buckley (a) | Nantlle Vale (h) |

07/09/21 Lock Stock Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin(Haen3)/ ARDAL NORTH WEST

Noddwyr/ Sponsors:IJ PLASTERING, Porthmadog

CPD PORTHMADOG ..........2
Nathan Craig 65'
Josh Banks 88'

NANTLLE VALE .................1
Dan Evans 32'

To any dewy-eyed Port supporter of a certain age, tonight`s fixture surely conjured up memories of the 1960`s when amongst Nantlle`s ranks were players such as Idris Pryce (aka “Tarw Nefyn”) and Orig Williams who was better known as “El Bandito” within the wrestling fraternity. Whenever you were tackled by these macho men, you remained tackled.

On to the match ……and it was the visitors who started on the front foot as they constantly broke up any attacks by Port and were often first to those 50/50 balls. On twenty minutes they forced two corner kicks in succession,with both of them putting Dylan Roberts under pressure in the Port goal. Port`s attacks were few and came to nothing, although a Paul Lewis header just missed the far post. In the meantime, Nantlle looked threatening on the break and on 32` minutes, when a Port attack involving Banks and the excellent Dewi Thomas broke down, a long ball was chased tenaciously by Daniel Evans who did very well to ward off the attentions of James Morgan and place his shot under the onrushing keeper. 1-0 Nantlle and thus it remained until half time, although Matthew Jones had a “goal” disallowed on 38minutes after a rather rare good move by Port.

At the start of the second period, Stuart Rogers was replaced by the very promising Marcus Banks and one can only surmise that some very stern words had been delivered during the interval as Port came surging out of the blocks with renewed vigour. Indeed, the second period was scarcely a minute old when Nantlle keeper Gethin Roberts was forced into a fine point blank save to foil the Marcus Banks who was clear on goal. Three minutes later, Roberts excelled again as he blocked a great Julian Williams effort with his feet, thus diverting the ball onto the post and out for a corner kick. Port were now well on top and the equalizer arrived, albeit in unfortunate fashion on 65 minutes. One of many Port corner kicks was headed on target by Julian Williams but Roberts, who seemingly had it well covered, spilt it on to the crossbar and Nathan Craig volleyed the rebound into the net to the delight of the Port faithful in the Bob Havelock stand. All square at 1-1……Game on !

The remainder of the game settled into a pattern of frequent attacks by Port and a few perilous counter-attacks by the Vale. However, it wasn`t until the 88th minute that Port nudged their noses in front when a deep left footed free-kick by Ifan Emlyn was headed home at the far post by August`s player of the month Josh Banks. 2-1 Port. There were a few more anxious moments as some dangerous crosses from the left flank were pumped into the Port box but the hosts` defence stood firm and the men in black and red picked up the three points at the end of what had been very much “a game of two halves”.

This coming Saturday, Port will turn their attention to the FAW Amateur Trophy as they travel to Cefn Albion in the Wrexham area.

Porthmadog :- Dylan Roberts(GK), Ben Fisher, Josh Banks (capt.), James Morgan, Stuart Rogers (Marcus Banks 46`), Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas, Matty Jones (Cian Pritchard 91`),Nathan Craig ( Lewys Turner 78`) Julian Williams, Paul Lewis(John Littlemore 70`) Yellow cards :- Stuart Rogers (9`) , James Morgan (10`)

Nantlle Vale:- Gethin Roberts(GK), Aled Williams, Mathew Davies(capt.), Sion Pollard (Aaron Hughes 70`), Cai Morgan, Sion Williams, Jamie Lee Thomas, Dafydd Roberts, Harri Gwyn Hughes, Robert Daniels (M.Jones 45`), Daniel Evans.
Yellow cards :- R. Daniels(22`), Daniel Evans(61`), M.Davies (81`), J.Thomas (85`)

Dyfarnwr/Referee:-Matthew John Jones.
Torf / Attendance: 330

Treflyn Jones


BUCKLEY TOWN ..............3
Asa Hamilton 34',72'.
R Teixeira Lima 84'

CPD PORTHMADOG ..........1
Julian Williams (p) 62'

“No Expectations” is the title to one of those lesser- known Rolling Stones songs, and it was in such a mood that most Port supporters travelled to the attractive and welcoming Globe Way ground to take on opponents from the tier above in the second round of the Welsh Cup on a pleasantly sunny Saturday afternoon.

The opening 20 minutes proved to be a rather untidy affair with far too many long balls, far too many headers and neither side able to settle into any discernible pattern of play. However, things gradually improved thereafter. On 22 minutes, a Buckley forward got into the box and attempted a shot from a tight angle which flew high and wide and on the half hour mark a great turn in the opposition`s box by John Littlemore promised much but the defender recovered in time to block his way to goal. .

On 34 minutes, Buckley opened the scoring in somewhat bizzare fashion. A corner kick was well caught by Dylan Roberts but as his two feet landed terra firma, he seemed to clatter into an opponent and spilt the ball. A gentle header was relayed to former Port player Asa Hamilton who headed home with equal gentility. It was rather an unlucky goal to give away but the ref signalled that the goal was good and it was one –nil to the Bucks. .

During the closing 5 minutes of the half, Port twice performed their weekly “How To Miss A Sitter” routine and Oh!........how they would rue such profligacy. The first culprit was Rhys Alun who according to a Port official “…..had enough time to eat a three course meal, bring the ball under control and then stroke it past the keeper”. Unfortunately, however Rhys chose to take on the shot from a very fine pass first time and blazed it wide from a very promising position. Next, on 43 minutes Josh Banks connected with a corner kick and booted it over the bar from what appeared to be point-blank range. Half time ….1-0 to Buckley. .

At the start of the second half, the ever-lively and skillful Ahmed burst through on goal only to be thwarted by a well-judged tackle by Paul Lewis and only a minute later, a good-looking corner kick by Port`s Stuart Rogers was met by a diving header by Josh Banks which flew narrowly wide. By now , the game was a much more attractive affair with both teams able to produce slick passing movements. Indeed it was end to end stuff and a typical cup-tie for most of the second period. Following several good moves by Port , they deservedly equalized. Rhys Alun was through on goal from an excellent through ball and as he was rounding the keeper, the Buckley custodian brought him down and the resulting penalty was powerfully dispatched left-footed by Julian Williams. .

There then followed a spell of heavy pressure on the Port goal mid-way through the half, which brought out two brilliant one-handed saves in quick succession by Dylan Roberts. However, three minutes later, Buckley were back in front when Asa Hamilton weaved his way rather easily into the Port box to finish with aplomb. 2-1 Buckley. Port never gave up, however, and continued to attack constructively to the end. There was to be no fairy-tale ending, however, and Buckley extended their lead in the closing minutes when an unlucky slip by Josh Banks put Ahmed in an ideal position to provide substitute Texeira with a tap-in. Three-one it ended then and a pretty fair result on the whole in favour of the physical-but-fair Buckley Town. Best of luck to them in the next round. .

This coming Tuesday evening, we are back in league action as we welcome Nantlle Vale to Y Traeth, whilst next Saturday we travel to Cefnmawr where we will meet Cefn Albion in the FAW Amateur Trophy.This game will be played in Brymbo at the Crick Ground.

Porthmadog: Dylan Roberts, Gareth J Evans (Rhys Hughes 87'), Lewys Turner (James Morgan 60'), Josh Banks, Stuart Rogers, Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas, John Littlemore, Rhys Alun, Julian Williams, Paul Lewis. Eilyddion/Unused subs: Marcus Banks, Cian Pritchard, Ben Fisher.

Melyn/Yellow: Lewys Turner 13', Buckley: C Darling, L Blizzard, D Roberts, J Jones, D Burgess, J Allen A Bellis (R Teixeira Lima 80'), S McHarrie (S Wainwright 82'), A Hamilton,J Roberts A Ahmed. Eilyddion/Unused Subs. JMcCaruk,F Clough, K Moore. Melyn/Yellow:A Ahmed 11'.


Treflyn Jones

28/08/21 Lock Stock ARDAL NORTH WEST

RHOSTYLLEN FC ................ 2
L McBurney 25'
S Chesters 50'

CPD PORTHMADOG ..............5
Julian Williams 23', 37'.
Ifan Emlyn 40'
Stuart Rogers 54'
Rhys Alun 61'

In a day that started with travel delays of all kinds, ranging from car breakdowns to pick up delays caused by wrong turns – it’s nice to report that Port picked up what ended up being a pretty comfortable 3 points at Rhostyllen.

Port certainly made a very fast start as Julian Williams looped a header onto the crossbar in the opening few minutes & Dewi Thomas was one of many Port players who tested the opposition keeper with long range efforts. Having said that, the opposition also created a couple of chances on their own, with the ball over the top being an especially effective weapon & Dylan Roberts made a good save from a header by one of the Rhostyllen forwards. .

With 22 minutes on the clock, Port took a deserved lead, as Stuart Rogers flighted in a quality set piece delivery & Julian Williams was luckier this time with his header nestling in the back of the net. However, the away side’s joy was shortlived as 3 minutes later, the sides were back level thanks to some horrible defending by Port – a cross came in from the home side & the visiting goalkeeper failed to deal with it & his CBs didn’t fare much better, only succeeding in half clearing the ball leading to a simple strike by Lee McBurney reaching the back of the net, much to the chagrin of the Port dugout. .

This seemed to fire up the visiting players & Dewi Thomas was unlucky to to be millimetres from connecting with a header from another superb Stuart Rogers cross. However, the anguish soon turned to elation as Julian Williams once again got his head to a cross from Josh Banks to double his tally for the afternoon & restore Port’s lead – within 3 minutes, the lead had been extended thanks to some absolutely sublime team play leading to John Littlemore’s pass setting up Ifan Emlyn Jones to score with the crispest of 20 yard strikes into the bottom left corner. A 1st half of many chances ended with Port leading 3 – 1.

The 2nd half did not start as well for the Traeth outfit as they conceded in the opening 5 minutes, albeit this time with a hint of controversy. From a corner, a Rhostyllen player headed the ball onto the post & the rebound by Sam Chesters seemed to be clawed off the line by the Dylan Roberts – however, the referee & his linesman seemed convinced that it had crossed the line & the lead was halved for a 2nd time. .

Once again, this seemed to spark the Port players back to life & they’d restored their 2 goal lead within 4 minutes as the Rhostyllen tactic of playing out the back was thwarted by Paul Lewis, who nicked the ball on the corner of the 18 yard box & slid John Littlemore through on goal, but whilst he couldn’t finish his chance, the ball fell to Stuart Rogers on the D & he bent an absolute beauty of a finish into the corner of the net. This tactic continued to bring further joy as the game went on, Julian Williams this time hurrying the home defence & won a ball he really should never have got to - following a Paul Lewis cutback, Rhys Alun was very unlucky not to add to his goals tally for the season thanks to a superb low save by the home keeper, Luke Christie. .

But, Port’s 5th goal of the afternoon arrived from the resulting corner & Rhys Alun was to be the beneficiary of as he picked the pieces from the cleared corner & finished with great aplomb once again. There could have been further glory for Rhys as he picked the ball just inside the opposition half, beating several defenders, before passing the ball to Rogers, who unselfishly tried to lay a goal on a plate for Littlemore, but he unfortunately couldn’t finish. He did well to shield the ball away from the keeper, before setting up Julian Williams for the hattrick chance, but he put his effort wide & the scoreline finished 5 – 2 in favour of Port. .

One final note to add is to congratulate young Cian Pritchard on making his 1st Team debut as a 2nd half sub - he certainly made an impact & it is always great to see young players breaking through from the Reserve side. .

Following a few league matches, it’s back to cup action next weekend as Port make the trip to face JD Cymru North side, Buckley Town in what will likely be a very tough JD Welsh Cup 2nd Round tie. .

Porthmadog: Dylan Roberts,James Morgan, Lewys Turner (Cian Pritchard 65'), Josh Banks,Paul Lewis, Stuart Rogers, Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas, Rhys Alun, John Littlemore,Julian Williams.
Eilyddion/Unused subs: Bradley Roberts(GK), Craig Papirnyk, Jamie McDaid

Rhostyllen: L Christie, A Hughes, R Richards, D Wickens, K Roberts, L McBurney (D Jones 80'), J Garner, T Douglas, H Steel, W Aykroyd-Duckett (A Ryan 80'), S Chesters.
Eilydion/Unused subs: C Thomas, S Swords. Melyn/Yellow Thomas Douglas 81'

Rhydian Morgan

24/08/21 Lock Stock ARDAL NORTH WEST

Noddwyr/Sponsors: Er cof am MEIRION PARRY / IN memory of MEIRION PARRY
Noddwr y Bêl / Match Ball sponsor: H E Williams Syrfeiwr Siartriedig / Chartered Surveyor

CPD PORTHMADOG ............ 0

LLANRWST UTD ...................2
Callum Parry 25', 51'

Believe it or not, being 65 years of age has its advantages. This fixture tonight was Port`s 8th competitive match of the season so far but amazingly their first league encounter at home. So, at last, I was able to use my discounted season ticket for senior citizens (ouch!) for the first time. It makes sense for young or old to purchase one as it provides a very substantial saving over fifteen league games. Just a little plug!

Before tonight`s encounter, a minute`s silence was impeccably observed in memory of a great and unassuming servant of the club over many years, namely Meirion Parry. The defeat, of course, was disappointing but the size of the crowd was a fine advert for this league and a fitting tribute to Meirion. Indeed, Meirion, unlike many others among us, would not have sulked at tonight`s defeat but would probably have said :- “Never mind! We`ll win the next one and the next one and……..” Forever the optimist and gracious in defeat.

On to the game!……Yet again, Port started brightly and a mere 10 seconds into the match, Rhys Alun was put clean through on goal but his disappointingly tame effort was blocked by Gwydion Owen who did not put a foot wrong all night in the Rwsters` goal. Then after 7 minutes, a dangerous low cross in the Port box was well dealt with by home keeper Dylan Roberts.

As the first half wore on, it became increasingly apparent that Llanrwst were dangerous on the break and an interception put Callum Parry through on goal and his firm shot beat Dylan Roberts on his near post. A well-taken goal for all that.

This was a wake up call for Port and they duly produced many well constructed attacks, but the final shot was consistently blocked by a very tight Llanrwst defence. On 40 minutes,however, Port finally got the ball in the net with a towering header by Julian Williams, but he was adjudged to have made contact with the keeper and the “goal”was ruled out. As an ex-keeper myself, I can shamefully confess that I felt ludicrously over protected by all refs when it came to high balls and that`s just another way of saying that this goal was legit in my slightly biased eyes. So there! Sour grapes? Maybe. At half time, Llanrwst lead 0-1.

At the start of the second half, Mathew Jones replaced Paul Lewis and a few minutes in, an intricate Port move culminated in Jamie McDaid placing a header over the bar. A few minutes later, Port`s fate was sealed as another counter-attack put in the determined Callum Parry who confidently blasted home past Dylan Roberts. If anyone deserved to score two goals tonight it was this man. All night, he was a thorn in Port`s side, constantly harassing defenders and never giving up. Easily the man of the match for me.

There then followed a lengthy passage of frantic Port attacks which produced corner after corne, a 25 yard thunderbolt from Julian Williams clattered against the cross bar. It was a shot deserving of a goal but it just wasn`t Port`s night. It was Llanrwst United`s night and the three points go back to Dyffryn Conwy.

There were the usual “moaning minnies” (as Margaret Thatcher put it) in the Port crowd tonight saying how badly they played …….. blah, blah, blah, blady blah. Only the churlish would agree with such a view, but one thing is certain………..when our chances come, we must take them ……Llanrwst-style !

This coming Saturday, Port will again be in league action when we visit Rhostyllen. Another tough game in prospect. Daliwch i gredu…….fe ddaw eto haul ar fryn !

Porthmadog: Dylan Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans, Lewys Turner, Josh Banks, Paul Lewis (Matty Jones 46'), Ifan Emlyn Dewi Thomas, Stuart Rogers, Jamie McDaid (John Littlemore 71') Julian Williams, Rhys Alun
Unused subs: Sol Kempster, Cian Pritchard Bradley Roberts(GK)

Llanrwst:Gwydion Owen, Math Thomas, Gruffudd ap Gwyndaf, Chris Nicolson, Sion Sullivan Thomas Jones, Cynan Edwards, Sam Jones (Benn Lundstrum 88'), Leighton Griffiths, Calllum Parry (Rhydian Jones 77'). Unused subs:Gwyn Jones, Gruff Evans, Cai Evans.

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- Robin Williams
Torf / Attendance: 328

Treflyn Jones


Noddwyr/ Sponsors: CARIAD CARE HOMES
Noddwr y bel / Match ball sponsor :- Emrys Griffith

CPD PORTHMADOG ........................ 4
Dewi Thomas 27'
Rhys Alun 44',73'
Jamie McDaid 68'

TYWYN BRYNCRUG FC ..................... 1
Nick Williams 75'

Our planet is hotting up and the Taliban has regained power in Afghanistan. However, on a damp night in Porthmadog, a respectable crowd were able to enjoy an entertaining cup tie and forget the cares of the world. As Browning put it :-

“God`s in his heaven ; all`s right with the world.” :-

The home team again started brightly, keeping possession very well for the opening 8 minutes or so and forcing three corner kicks, the third of which produced the first goalscoring chance for the hosts as Josh Banks` left footed effort went wide of the upright. Then, with ten minutes on the clock, the visitors from Bro Dysynni showed how dangerous they could be on the counter as their pacy Morris ended an impressive move by placing his twenty yard left-footer just over the bar. Shortly after, Mathew Jones` mazy run, out-manoeuvering four defenders, ended with his shot in the side netting and the same attacker brought a double save by Lauskinieks at his near post. Thus a pattern for the first half was established as Port continued to probe whilst Tywyn/Bryncrug looked perilous on the counter. However, on 25 minutes, it was the hosts who drew first blood as a fine through ball from Stuart Rogers found Dewi Thomas in ample space in the box and he calmly stroked the ball past the onrushing Lauskinieks. Then, shortly before the interval, Port went further ahead when Rhys Alun kept his cool to score after excellent link-up play between Paul Lewis and Josh Banks. On the stroke of half-time, a glorious left footer from 25 yards by McDaid came off the inside of the post and Rhys Alun tapped home the rebound only for the “goal” to be ruled out for off-side. Half time :- 2-0 Port. :-

The start of the second period saw Dewi Thomas replaced by John Littlemore and after 49 minutes, a speculative long range effort by McDaid was safely gathered under his cross bar by the keeper and a minute later, Banks saw his header go narrowly wide before a flowing move involving 5 Port players ended with Mcdaid`s low shot producing an excellent one-handed save by Lauskieniks. Port`s third goal arrived shortly after the hour mark when McDaid`s well-placed effort found its way into the corner through a ruck of defenders following excellent work by Rhys Alun and Matthew Jones. Then a few minutes later, after an excellent solo run, Rhys Alun produced a confident shot past the keeper to make it 4-0. Both teams made further substitutions with (for Port) Lewys Turner replacing Stuart Rogers and Paul Lewis making way for Dan Roberts. :-

On seventy minutes or so, the industrious visitors scored a deserved goal when a slightly mis-placed pass by debutant keeper Bradley Raymond Roberts put Josh Banks under pressure and Nick Williams made no mistake as he cooly slotted his shot past Roberts` right hand. :-

This was a good win against an organized and skilful Tywyn/Bryncrug side. Next Tuesday night we will host an in-form Llanrwst United in only our third league encounter. :-

(Llawer o ddiolch i Rhydian am sgwennu`r ddwy adroddiad flaenorol……..Ardderchog. Many thanks to Rhydian Morgan for producing the two previous report during my absence.) :-

Porthmadog: Bradley Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans Josh Banks James Morgan Stuart Rogers (Lewys Turner 76'), Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas (John Littlemore 45') Matty Jones Rhys Alun Jamie MeDaid Paul Lewis ( Dan Roberts 84')
Unused subs: Marcus Banks, Marcus Orlik.

Tywyn Bryncrug: Janus Lauskinieks, Ryan Goddard, Nathan Morris, Kevin Evans (capt), Paul Grant, Ethan Rogers, Isaac Aldred (Aaron Davies-Rogers 73'), Sion Ellis (Iwan Richards 64'), Thomas Allen., Cullen Rogers (David Jenkins 67'), Nick Williams. Unused sub: Matthew Jones.

Dyfarnwr/Referee:- Rhodri ab Dafydd
Torf/Attendance:- 235

Treflyn Jones

17/08/21 Cynghrair Ardal y Gogledd Orllewin / Ardal North West League

BLAENAU FFESTINIOG ...................0

CPD PORTHMADOG.........................4
Jamie McDaid 5', 15'
Matty Jones 52'(p)
Rhys Alun 90'

Our first competitive visit to Cae Clyd in many years & some might say that it was raining goals as Port secured a very comfortable 4 – 0 victory. As we played our 2nd game in a run of 5 games in 14 days, there were some changes to the starting line up as some squad rotation was used in order to ensure the players are fresh during this tough run.

One of the players handed a start was Jamie McDaid & he certainly took full advantage as he scored twice in the opening 15 mins to give Port the perfect start. They say that you’re at your most vulnerable when you’ve just scored & Blaenau did create a few chances, including a one on one chance for their winger, Gareth Roberts whose weak effort was straight at the Port keeper.

The chances kept coming for Port as the 1st half went on, with McDaid & Julian Williams being a constant source of danger for the Blaenau backline. Following good work by Matty Jones to rush the opposition keeper into a poor clearance, Williams did well to get on the end of a McDaid cross & was unlucky to see his effort go just past the post. There was an even bigger chance to come as Ifan Emlyn struck a post from 25 yards following further good work by Matty Jones. Despite Port’s clear dominance of the chances, it was still 2 – 0 at the interval.

Seven minutes of the second half had been played when Port were awarded what seemed to be a rather soft penalty by the referee following some shirt pulling. McDaid showed some interest in taking the penalty as he was on a hat trick, but the regular penalty taker Matty Jones stepped up & scored to continue his sublime start to the season, notching up his 4th league goal of the season & 7th in total.

As the game neared its end, Port seized upon the opportunity to use the 5 subs available & more & more space seemed to open up, with yet more chances created & mostly spurned. Jamie McDaid had another opportunity to complete his hat trick when he was put through one on one with the goalkeeper, but having rounded the keeper, he saw his strike go wide.

The only real moment of danger from the opposition was caused by Port’s goalkeeper as some might argue that he was lucky not to see red having rushed out of his goal to close down an attacking threat & fouling the opposition player in the process – the referee took a lenient view however & only booked him on this occasion.

There was one final moment of joy to come in stoppage time though as substitute Rhys Alun Williams broke through on one final counter attack to finish impeccably & net his 1st goal of the season. No one can deny Rhys’ talents, but until that moment, it just wasn’t happening for him in front of goal. The cheers coming from the away dugout coupled with every one of his teammates running towards him to celebrate showed just how much of a relief this one goal was.

Attention once again now turns to the FAW Amateur Trophy 3rd Round with a home tie against Tywyn Bryncrug to be played at 7:30pm on FRIDAY NIGHT at Y Traeth.

Porthmadog: Dylan Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans, Josh Banks, James Morgan (Lewys Turner 55’) Stuart Rogers, Ifan Emlyn (Marcus Banks 65’) Dewi Thomas (Rhys Alun 75’), Matty Jones (John Little more 75’), Jamie McDaid, Julian Williams, Paul Lewis (Ben Fisher 75’)
Melyn/Yellow Dylan Roberts 72.

Blaenau Ffestiniog: C Williams, M Slater(C Owen 65’),J Dukes,-Morgan H Parry, S Owen, D Jones (G Hughes 45’), I Griffiths I Jones, G Roberts, S Roberts, G Roberts
Melyn /Yellow: J Dukes -Morgan 65’

. Rhydian Morgan

Cwpan Cymru /JD Welsh Cup R1

Noddwyr/Sponsors: Cefnogwyr Port / Port Supporters

CPD Porthmadog ………………….. 3
Dewi Thomas 44’
Matty Jones 63’
Julian Williamsn 90'+4'

CPD Llanberis ……………………...0

For me, a Welsh Cup matchday is always an exciting day & whilst this wasn’t the best of cup games, Port’s clinical nature won the day despite a very spirited performance by the visitors from a lower league.

After a relatively uneventful start to the match, Port started to create many chances, with Rhys Alun once again guilty of missing the target on a few occasions as well as Matty Jones striking over the crossbar. By the last 10 minutes of the 1st half, the chances were coming thick & fast & the Llanberis keeper, Ben Jones produced a wonderful save to deny the unfortunate Rhys Alun’s header that was destined to nestle in the bottom corner – during this passage of play, Llanberis’s No.9, Gwyn Jones suffered a rather nasty looking injury upon landing in the net whilst defending. After several minutes of treatment, he was somehow cleared to carry on, but this hope was very short-lived as he battled for a header & knew as soon as he landed that his game was over & he was replaced by Tomos Saynor.

Llanberis’ only real chance in the 1st half came straight after the substitution as a long ball beat the Port defence & former Traeth youngster, Thomas Collins was in 1 on 1 with the keeper, but despite lifting the ball over Dylan Roberts, he also put it well wide. That proved to be the wake up call Port needed as they took the lead through Dewi Thomas a minute before the halftime interval – a cross was put into the box & 2 defensive errors presented an easy opportunity for Dewi to round the keeper & place the ball into an empty net.

After a quiet start to the 2nd half, the game once again burst to life on the hour mark as Port doubled their lead thanks to Matty Jones’ neat & tidy finish for his 6th goal of the season. This goal was made by some crisp passing, with Nathan Craig slotting a through ball for Matty to run onto & slide it under the keeper.

The crowd was treated to a sublime piece of skill by substitute Jamie McDaid as he controlled the ball, lifted it over the defender’s head & bent the ball into the bottom left corner – but his & the crowd’s joy was soon turned to groans as the assistant’s flag has been raised to disallow the goal. The Llanberis keeper was at his best once again, this time with a low save from Julian Williams & from the resulting corner, the lead should have been extended further as Josh Banks headed the ball wide from inside the 6 yard box.

A late counter attack was launched & substitute John Littlemore seemed to be in acres of space in the box, latching on to a Dewi Thomas cross to finish calmly, but once again the assistant’s flag came to the visitors’ rescure & the score stayed at 2 – 0. However, the respite was short lived as Julian Wililams scored the 3rd goal following an advantage played due to a foul on Nathan Craig – another swift counter attack saw a Julian race onto a through ball & finished with aplomb to put a bit more gloss on the scoreline.

There was less positive news however as Craig was assisted off the pitch & headed straight into the changing rooms for treatment on his injury. Hopefully it won’t be too long before we see our major summer signing back in action.

Despite it not being the best performance, we are in the hat for Round 2 & the draw will be made on Monday night at 8pm & broadcast on the FAW’s social media channels.

Porthmadog: Dylan Roberts, James Morgan, Josh Banks, Paul Lewis (Ben Fisher 62’), Lewys Turner, Rhys Alun (Jamie McDaid 69’), Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas, Nathan Craig, Matty Jones (John Littlemore 70’), Julian Williams. Subs unused: Gareth Jones Evans, Stuart Rogers

Llanberis: B Jones, K Hellfield, B Rowlands, N Huws, T Collins, G Wakeham, I Mansoor, R Owen, G Jones (T Saynor 40’), G Maxwell (G Jones 69’). R McDonald. Subs unused: S Price, M Edwards, C Holdsworth..

Torf / Attendance: 227 Dyfarnwr / Referee: Robin Williams

Rhydian Morgan

31/7/21 Ail Rownd Tlws Amatur CBDC/ FAW Amateur Trophy Round 2

Y FELINHELI ......................... 1
Rhys Parry 45’

Dewi Thomas 53`, James Morgan 72`

Once upon a time, this trophy was well known to all Port followers simply as “ the Amateur Cup”, a trophy proudly held aloft on two occasions by Port during the 1950`s when young supporters now in their 70`s would cheer on local heroes such as Glyn Owen and Arwel Jones .

Well, the present day heroes of Port made a bright start and as early as the third minute, a sweeping counter-attack involving Dewi Thomas and the never-say-die Rhys Alun ended with Gareth Jones-Evans placing his left foot drive from 25 yards narrowly wide of the upright. A minute later, the hosts set up a promising move but the final ball into the box narrowly missed the sliding boot of a Felin forward as he bore down on goal.

On 7 minutes another left foot thunderbolt from outside the box by Ifan Emlyn was very well saved by Guto Hughes diving to his left. Then, on 15 minutes, a firmly struck shot, again from Ifan Emlyn, could only find the middle part of the the goal and Hughes` grateful arms and a similar effort from Stuart Rogers was again straight at the keeper on 23 minutes. Port were piling on the pressure and on 30', all Port supporters were ready to celebrate what would have been a richly deserved opening goal. Rhys Alun controlled the ball well in the box and sent a wonderful volley over the stranded Hughes, but the ball struck the inside of the post and bounced kindly into the keeper`s arms. Rhys`s goal-scoring curse continues!

In the closing ten minutes of the half, Felin were gaining in confidence and were producing some controlled moves in midfield. On 42 minutes, such a move found Edwards in space in the box but his shot was narrowly wide. Then, on the stroke of half time, the dreaded sucker punch arrived as a left footed cross into the Port box was headed into the turf by Rhys Parry. His well judged downward diving header took an abnormally high bounce and the ball flew into the roof of the net to the delight of all Felin fans. A fine goal. Half time …..1-0 Felinheli. Game on !

Port started the second half with renewed vigour playing down the slope. The injured Stuart Rogers who had played a pretty flawless first half was replaced by Jamie McDaid whose enthusiasm and pace soon had Felin on the back foot. On 53 minutes Port`s equalizer arrived and what a goal it was! From a headed clearance, Dewi Thomas took on a difficult looking volley but his blistering shot simply flew past the outstretched left hand of Guto Hughes from fully 20 yards. Port were now making frequent forays into the Felin third of the field where they were foiled by excellent and at times composed defending.

On 58 minutes, a Josh Banks header from a corner went narrowly wide and McDaid, a minute later, put his shot into the side netting when well-placed. Then, on 65 minutes, the excellent but luckless Rhys Alun had a firm, goal-bound effort blocked after weaving his way past three defenders. There then followed some substitutions as Meredydd Derbyshire replaced Owain Emyr for Felin and John Littlemore replaced Mathew Jones. Felin often looked dangerous on the break but Port continued to probe with the skill of Julian Williams down the flanks and further dangerous runs by McDaid and it was no surprise when, on 72 minutes, Port finally took the lead. It all started with a magnificent save by Guto Hughes, parrying a wicked deflection over his crossbar. Then, from the resulting corner, James Morgan rose above the Felin defenders to power in a header into the roof of the net. 2-1 Port.

One more substitution per side was made on 78 minutes as the reliable Paul Lewis replaced Dewi Thomas to shore up the defence in the driving rain and A. Griffith came on for Felin.

There were to be no further goals in what was a thoroughly entertaining cup-tie, and Port, quite deservedly, will progress to the third round of this coveted old trophy.

Llawer o ddiolch i chi , bobl dda Felinheli, am eich croeso cynnes i Gae Seilo a dymuniadau gorau i chi am weddill y tymor.

Next Saturday, Port will welcome Llanberis to Y Traeth in the first round proper of the Welsh Cup.

Felinheli :- G. Hughes, I.Jones, R. Cain, C. Japheth, D. Jones , I. Stead, R. Jones , M. Derbyshire, R. Parry ,C. Brown, I.Edwards. Subs:- D. Owen, A. Emyr, O. Roberts , A. Griffith.

Porthmadog:- D. Roberts, G. Jones-Evans, J. Banks, J. Morgan, S. Rogers, Mathew Jones, Dewi Thomas, Nathan Craig, Rhys Alun , Julian Williams Subs (used):- J. Littlemore, J.McDaid, Paul Lewis, Unused:- Ben Fisher, Marcus Orlik

Torf/Attendance:- 167

Treflyn Jones

31/07/21 Cynghrair Ardal y Gogledd Orllewin / Ardal North West League


CPD PORTHMADOG...............................4
Matty Jones 14', 40, 63'(p).
Julian Williams 36'

The postcode CH4 HUB sounded a very long way away at high noon in Porthmadog but the homeward journey to LL49 9LE bordered on sheer bliss. This was Port`s very first game in the inaugural season of Tier 3 Ardal League North West Division, a game in which striker Mathew Jones wrote for himself a worthy footnote in Porthmadog football history by scoring a hat-trick on this historic day.

In fairness, however, it was the hosts who made marginally the brighter start, for in the 6th minute Port found themselves on the lucky side of a monumental let-off. After a blistering run on the break, the lanky and pacy Booth found himself one on one with Port keeper Dylan Roberts and stroked the ball skillfully past him only for the ball to cannon off the post. The rebound fell into the path of an onrushing Saltney striker but his goal-bound thunderbolt was brilliantly blocked by a Port defender.

This was just the wake-up goal that Port needed and gradually thereafter, Port got their trademark passing game together. On 8 minutes, Port were awarded a freekick on the edge of the Saltney area. Up stepped Nathan Craig whose glorious left-footed shot was met by an equally splendid one-handed save by Cooke in the Saltney goal.

Port`s attackers were now finding themselves frequently in promising situations and the opening goal duly arrived on fourteen minutes. Rhys Alun found himself in space but his close range header cannoned of the post. However, the move was kept alive by some slick passing and Rhys` low cross was slotted home by the ever-alert Mathew Jones . 1-0 Port.

On 30 minutes, our returning Prodigal Son Julian Williams, following good work from Josh Banks and Rhys Alun, aimed a very good-looking curling effort but his left footer was narrowly wide. Then, on 37 minutes, another promising break by the Sandy Lane side was foiled by a well-timed tackle by the industrious Ifan Emlyn.

Spurred on by some excellent midfield play from Gareth Jones Evans, Nathan Craig and Stuart Rogers, our front runners, especially the creative Dewi Thomas were progressively stamping their authority on the match, and it was no surprise when on 35 minutes, Port doubled their money. It all started from a superb interception in midfield by Jones-Evans who relayed the ball to the left flank from where Rhys Alun`s cross found Julian Williams ten yards out from whence he gleefully volleyed home into the middle of the goal. 2-0 Port.

Port were not done for the half, however. With 40 minutes on the clock, Mathew Jones turned expertly in the box and guided his shot way out of Cooke`s reach into the left hand corner of the net.3-0 Port…….but there was just enough time to witness a glorious inter change of passes between Julian Williams and GJE ………..a move which deserved a goal but Jul`s effort was narrowly wide.

At the start of the second half, both sides, to their credit, attempted to play a slick passing game but some promising situations for Saltney came to nothing due in large part to the alertness of Banks, Craig and the composure of James Morgan at the heart of the defence. Port continued to create half-chances and a superb downward header by Julian Williams on the hour mark bounced straight into the grateful arms of Cooke. Three minutes later, however, Dewi Thomas` hard work at last paid off when his mazy run into the box culminated in a clear foul by the Saltney keeper. Understandably, the responsibility of converting the spot-kick was duly given to Mathew Jones who calmly sent Cooke the wrong way as the ball nestled in the corner of the net. 4-0 Port .

After all the hurt of last season, it was great to see the lads playing with skill, determination and composure when needed. This away win was as important as it was merited and the Port faithful travelled home to mull over a solid performance. It was also nice to see all Port subs getting a run out. “Many rivers to cross” as the song goes but tonight, the first of many hurdles is safely behind us. Da iawn, Port, a daliwch ati!

Port:- Dylan Roberts(GK) ,G.Jones-Evans(Lewys Turner 67 mins.), Josh Banks, James Morgan , Dewi Thomas(John Littlemore 79mins.), Mathew Jones (Jamie McDaid 67 mins), Stuart Rogers, Nathan Craig, Rhys Alun(Paul Lewis 79 mins.), Julian Williams (Ben Fisher 83 mins ). Ifan Emlyn.

Saltney:- Cooke , Mason , Robson, Roberts, B.Jones, S. Chiochi, Johnson, Evans, Rutter, Callaghan ,Booth.
Saltney subs:-Baines,Pleavin, Sylvester.

Dyfarnwr/Referee:-N.A. Llimanwyr / linesmen:- N. A. Torf/Attendance:- 65

Treflyn Jones

24/7/21 2il Rownd Ragbrofol Cwpan Cymru / Welsh Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Noddwr /Sponsor :- Cwrw Llŷn

CPD PORTHMADOG.........................................9
Nathan Craig 30,56'
Jamie McDaid 50,82'
Daniel Hughes (o.g.) 42'
Josh Banks 36, 90'
Matty Jones 62', 70'

MOUNTAIN RANGERS.........................................0

Wonderful!.......no, that isn`t a reflection of yesterday`s result or even the scoreline . It is not even a reflection of the glorious weather . No, it`s merely a description of an overwhelming feeling of freedom as crowds are allowed to watch and support their local football team for the first time in some sixteen months as the global Covid pandemic hopefully recedes.

Well , on this sunny afternoon, Port showed their determination and intent immediately as the first clear-cut goal-scoring chance arrived after a mere 30 seconds when Rhys Alun found himself with a gaping open goal in front him but managed somehow to find his volley hitting the post at the end of an intricate move.Indeed,three more genuine chances befell various Port players during the opening four minutes but all were spurned.

It was on 8 minutes that Mountain Rangers produced their one and only scoring chance of the match when,after a clever move down the left flank, Declan Williams found himself in space just inside the Port box but his low shot was comfortably gathered by debutant keeper Dylan Roberts.

On 15 minutes, a Josh Banks volley was cleared off the line , whilst a minute later, Jason Hughes in the Rangers` goal produced the first of many superb point blank saves to deny Port their opener.

Just before the half hour mark Rangers were were reduced to 10 men when Philp was shown red and Port took full advantage.

Finally , on the half-hour mark, Port`s first goal duly arrived when the confident Nathan Craig smashed home a free kick on the edge of the box into the corner of the net.1-0.

On 36 minutes , Port doubled their advantage when Josh Banks pounced at the far post with a downward header past Hughes from an accurate free-kick by Rhys Alun. 2-0 Port.

The third goal arrived in bizzare but spectacular fashion 3 minutes from the break when an attempted clearance by Daniel Hughes from the edge of his own box flew into the net for what was arguably the best-looking goal of the afternoon , albeit unintentional.At half time , Port were three goals to the good.

The start of the second half saw three Port substitutions in the shape of Jamie McDaid, Marcus Banks and Dewi Thomas ,and,fittingly enough, it was the lively McDaid who put Port 4-0 ahead on 50 minutes running strongly onto a defence-splitting pass by Nathan Craig. Eight minutes later , Nathan Craig turned from creator to scorer , putting Port 5-0 ahead with a deft close range volley.

On 62 minutes Matty Jones tapped in from an accurate low cross from Dewi Thomas to make it 6-0 and on 70 minutes the same scorer was on hand to tap in Port`s seventh. In the eighty-second minute it was 8-0 when McDaid latched on to a glorious through ball by Nathan Craig and Josh Banks made it 9-0 with a towering header into the top-right hand corner of the net from an Ifan Emlyn cross.

This was an entertaining match (if rather one –sided) between two sides who attempted to play the game properly and fairly. Our thanks and best wishes for the rest of the season go to Mountain Rangers . Moreover,Port fans must surely feel a sense of appreciation for all the hard work that has gone on at Y Traeth , thanks to a small band of enthusiastic volunteers.Our new stand , the aptly-named “Eisteddle Dafydd Wyn” is a clear and attractive testament to the club`s determination for success.

Next Saturday , Port travel to Saltney for their first ever match in Ardal League Tier Three where the border village side will probably provide sterner opposition.

Porthmadog:- Dylan Roberts, Gareth Jones-Evans(capt.), Josh Banks, James Morgan, Stuart Rogers, Ifan Emlyn, Matthew Jones, John Littlemore, Nathan Craig, Rhys Alun, Paul Lewis.

Subs:- Jamie McDaid, Marcus Banks , Dewi Thomas. Unused sub:- Marcus Orlik

Mountain Rangers :- Jason Hughes(GK), Gavin Owen, Osian Hughes-Jones, Cai Jones, Declan Williams, Kevin Barlow, Thomas Philip, Owain Evans, Daniel Hughes, Mark Williams(capt.)

Llion Hughes. Subs :-Sion Davies(GK), Leon Owen, Jason Taylor, Irfon Hughes.

Dyfarnwr/Referee:- Arwyn Griffiths Torf/Attendance:- 156

Treflyn Jones


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us