t CPD Porthmadog FC - Adroddiad / Match Report
CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Brickfield (a) | Denbigh (a) | Llandudno Albion (h) | Brymbo FC (h) | Llay Welfare (a) | Rhydymwyn (h) | Nantlle Vale (a) | St Asaph (h) | Y Felinheli (a) | Llanuwchllyn (a) | Mold Alex (a) | Caersws (a) |

Cynghrair Lock Stock Ardal Northern: Gêm ail gyfle/ Play-off final
Wern Mynach, Y Bermo- 28/5/22 k.o. :- 1.00p.m

CPD PORTHMADOG ................. 5
Rhys Alun,37', 45+1', 60'
John Littlemore 85'
Paul Lewis 87'

CAERSWS .................................. 0

Back where we belong! At the start of today`s proceedings on an immaculate Wern Mynach pitch, few Port supporters (if any!) would have predicted a substantial margin of victory against such respected and illustrious opponents as Caersws, but this excellent outcome came thanks to tenacious and determined play by the entire Port squad on the day, as they were cheered on by a bumper crowd.

Both teams were understandably careful and not a little nervous during the opening exchanges but they settled into some semblance of rhythm by the 15 minute mark. It was Port who started marginally the brighter and the hard-working Paul Lewis put a worthy effort just over the bar after only 3 minutes. Then on six minutes, Port keeper Paul Pritchard was called upon to make a timely interception from a clever through ball by Caersws.

In the tenth minute, playmaker Marcus Banks` close range effort was blocked by Caersws keeper Steffan Harri and Rhys Alun`s follow-up drive was well blocked by a sliding defender.

Caersws got their first serious effort on goal in the 24th minute via a corner kick which was headed narrowly wide by Neil Mitchell. Four minutes later, Dewi Thomas tried and tried to find an opening within the opponents` box but his eventual shot was blocked. We were getting closer!

After something of a lull in terms of goalscoring chances, Rhys Alun shaved the top of the bar with a fine 20 yard effort………but then ………..on 37 minute, Port opened the scoring. Gareth Jones- Evans , who was playing a blinder in midfield, went on a strong run through the middle and his slide-rule pass was finished superbly by Rhys Alun as he guided his shot wide of the diving Steffan Harri. 1-0 Port.

Three minutes before the interval, Paul Lewis sent in a fine floated cross but Marcus Banks` well-placed header was safely gathered by the keeper.

There were 46` minutes on the clock when the impressive throng of Port supporters behind the Dyffryn-side goal started to truly believe. A blistering left-footed drive by GJE came off Steffan Harri`s chest due to an awkward bounce. The ball ballooned high into the air and the alert Rhys Alun was on hand to volley home from close range. 2-0 to Port and (dare we say it ????)……we had one foot back in the Cymru North after three years of hurt.

If anyone expected Caersws to come roaring back in the second half, then their optimism was woefully misplaced as Port put their opponents under heavy pressure from the outset. Indeed, the half was barely a minute old when Rhys Alun was driven wide by a defender and his firm shot needed a good two- handed block by the keeper. A minute later, it was Cai Parry`s turn to shoot narrowly wide .Four minutes later, a well-judged header by Marcus was caught just under the bar. There was more to come….as, a minute later, Rhys Alun was clean through only to be thwarted by an excellent last-ditch tackle. Dewi Thomas also came close to putting the game to bed.

In the 61st minute ,however, Port were in Dreamland. A Caersws defender lost possession ten yards outside his box . Rhys Alun took on the invitation, and, after beating his marker, sent a glorious shot high to the keeper`s left. What a goal and what a wonderful hat-trick for our player of the month for March and April! 3-0 Port.

Jamie McDaid came on as sub for Marcus Banks and it took an excellent save low to his right by Steffan Harri to prevent a certain goal. Then, it took one of the saves of the season high to his right to prevent Stuart Rogers from adding to Port`s tally.

With fifteen minutes remaining, sub Matty Jones came close before John Littlemore scored from close range to finish a smart assist by the returning Ben Fisher. (4-0). Then , in the 85th minute, Barmouth`s own Paul Lewis put the icing on the cake as he smashed a splendid low drive beyond the keeper`s despairing dive.

It ended 5-0 to Port. A long, hard season, full of twists and turns, triumphs and disappointments had ended. At the end of our victorious opening fixture at Saltney (remember THEM ???) way back in July 31st, I quoted Jimmy Cliff`s soulful words……’many rivers to cross’. Well, tonight we have crossed them all and we are indeed back to where we belong. Da iawn, Port ac ymlaen y bo`r nod!

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Gareth Jones-Evans (John Littlemore 82`), Josh Banks, Euron Roberts, Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas (Stuart Rogers 64`), Marcus Banks (Jamie McDaid 63`), Rhys Alun (Matty Jones 82`), Cai Parry (Ben Fisher 67`), Paul Lewis. Yellow cards:- Rhys Alun (36`), John Littlemore(85`)

Caersws :- Steffan Harri Jones (GK…a chanwr gwych !), Ashley Harries, Aryn Matthee, Matthew Mumford, Rhydian Davies, Luke Evans, Neil Mitchell, Ian Probert, Will Evans, Glynn Coney, Luke Mumford.

Caersws made one substitution but this was not recorded on the app. Substitutes :- William Thomas, Jared Marks, Taylor Sillitoe, Charlie Gordon, David Jones. Yellow cards :- NIL

Dyfarnwr/Referee :- Sion Peter Davies Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants:- Connor Eoin Fowler, Ryan Mark Hughes

Torf / Attendance :- 1,300

Treflyn Jones

14/5/22 Cynghrair Lock Stock Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin/ Ardal League North-West Alyn Park, Y Wyddgrug / Mold k.o.:- 2.30pm

MOLD ALEXANDRA ..........................3
Dominic Doherty 3'
Henry Carver 11'
Rhys Nash 24'

CPD PORTHMADOG ..........................2
Dewi Thomas 15'
Rhys Alun 54'

On a warm late spring afternoon at a friendly Alyn Park, the curtain came down on a long, hard league campaign for both clubs and it was most fitting that the visitors, before the start of the contest, formed a guard of honour to applaud the worthy champions Mold Alex on to the pitch.

It was no surprise either that it was the illustrious hosts who were immediately onto the front foot and opened the scoring after only two minutes. Henry Carver sent in a low shot which keeper Bradley Roberts could only parry into the path of Dominic Doherty who was left with a simple tap-in. 1-0 to the hosts.

On eleven minutes, Mold quite deservedly doubled their advantage when the very skillful and pacy Rhys Nash found himself behind Port`s back line and duly supplied Henry Carver with a simple chance at the far post. 2-0.

Port, thank goodness, settled thereafter although Mold continued to look threatening and on fifteen minutes, Dewi Thomas latched on to a fine defence-splitting ball by Stuart Rogers and calmly slotted the ball under the onrushing Elliot Quinlan in the Alex goal to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

Any thoughts of a quick Port come back were quashed on 24 minutes when a Mold attacker hit the bar with a fine header. The ball was swiftly re-cycled, however, and this time, from a right wing cross, the excellent Nash calmly headed into the corner of the net leaving Roberts with no chance to make it a worrying 3-1.

For the remainder of the half, both teams created half-chances but Bradley Roberts made two fine saves, both from headers, with the first being tipped over the bar and the second, from close range again, being parried away with both hands after a dive to his left. Mercifully, therefore, the half ended 3-1 but it could have been even worse.

Port, to their credit, started the second half determined to make their mark on a game which might well have run away from them at one stage. Their passing became crisper and more accurate and, on 54 minutes, sub Rhys Alun latched on to a super diagonal long ball from Ifan Emlyn and placed the ball superbly beyond Quinlan`s reach to make it 3-2. Game on !

Barely a minute later, there occurred an incident which could have signalled a turning-point for the visitors when Mold were awarded a corner kick and, during something of a goalmouth scramble, referee Richard Wright brandished a straight red card at Mold`s towering centre back Jacob Wise for an alleged foul on his counterpart Sol Kempster. With the champions down to ten men, Port felt that they could salvage something. Several promising situations ensued from the Traeth men, especially from some probing moves initiated by the revived Gareth Jones-Evans and the equally hard-working Cai Parry and John Littlemore…..but…….. it was not to be. Mold Alex secured the three points which, on the basis of their first-half showing alone, was just about deserved. They are a big but skillful side who will doubtless hold their own in the second tier next season.

Port, of course, have one remaining assignment. On the 28th day of this month, we will make the relatively short trip to Wern Mynach in Barmouth to take on Caersws in the play-off for a (hopefully!) quick return to the second tier. Kick off will be at 1.00 p.m. Be there !!!

Mold Alex :- Elliot Quinlan (GK), Matthew Lewis, Steve Watkins, Ryan Coney (Jimmy Ellina 48`), Dominic Doherty (Mickey E. John 48`), Danny Warren, Henry Carver (J. Ormrod 21`), Phil Lloyd ( A. Smith 59`),Jacob Wise,Rhys Nash, Dafydd Griffith. Sub not used :- N/A. !!! Yellow card :- Alexander Smith (76`), Red :- Jacob Wise (55`)

Porthmadog :- Bradley Roberts (GK), Gareth Jones-Evans (capt.), Josh Banks, Sol Kempster, Stuart Rogers,(Rhys Alun 53`), Dewi Thomas, Matty Jones, Marcus Banks, Cai Parry ( Ifan Emlyn 54`), Jamie McDaid (John Littlemore 66`), Euron Roberts (Iddon Roberts 54`), Unused sub :- Craig Papyrnik Yellow cards:- Sol Kempster (45+2 `), John Littlemore (86`)

Dyfarnwr/Referee :- Richard Lee Wright Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants:- Levi Roberts, Harvey Williams
Torf / Attendance :- 286

Treflyn Jones

07/5/22 Cynghrair Lock Stock Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin/ Ardal League North-West Cae Gwalia, Llanuwchllyn k.o.:- 2.30pm

CPD LLANUWCHLLYN .......................1
Ilan Hughes 79'

CPD PORTHMADOG ..........................3
Jamie McDaid 42'
Marcus Banks 67', 84'(p)

It was a fitting end to an extraordinary week where Port, having picked up 3pts via the FAW Committee rooms, went on today, at Cae Gwalia, to complete the task with a convincing victory to leapfrog Denbigh Town into the all-important second place. This secures a play-off and the chance for a quick return to the Cymru North.

On a great looking pitch in bright sunshine, it was the home team who pushed forward, with Joe Evans having an early effort deflected for a corner. Port soon responded with Jamie McDaid breaking on the right forcing home keeper Sam Tyrer to save with his legs. The visitors pushed forward now and both Iddon Price and Paul Lewis fired shots over the bar.

Port pressure continued with Rhys Alun using his pace to break down the right but there was no final touch to his brilliant low cross. Rhys Alun who was now a constant threat with his speedy runs and close control. He had his low shot parried away by the busy Sam Tyrer and also a header which flew wide. But with half an hour gone supporters were beginning to feel uneasy, given all the pressure but there still was nothing to show for it.

There was always the danger that Llanuwchllyn could get on the score sheet with a long distance effort or a break from Joe Evans, who late on in the half, sent an effort narrowly over the bar.

But with 42 minutes on the clock Port went ahead and it was no more than their tenacious play deserved. It was no surprise perhaps that Rhys Alun and Jamie McDaid were involved. Rhys Alun broke free on the left and when his shot was blocked, Jamie McDaid was on hand to fire the rebound low and inside Tyrer’s right hand post.

This gave Port a narrow lead to take in at at half-time.

The second-half started with more Port pressure and a couple of long shots from Euron Roberts and Paul Lewis were followed by an angled shot from Jamie McDaid but the much needed second goal would not materialise. In fact Llanuwchllyn started to push forward more often and from one of these Iolo Jones broke on the right lashing a shot into the side netting and when Ilan Hughes’ free kick found Joe Evans on the left a dangerous cross narrowly failed to find a finishing touch.

Then on 67 minutes came a vital second goal and it was half-time sub Marcus Banks who applied the finishing touch. Jamie McDaid, having scored the first, now provided the assist for the second. Tryer blocked his cracking shot at the near post but only as far as Marcus Banks, who 8 yards out netted to make it 2-0.

Port supporters could now relax? This is Port and there was bound to be one more twist to the story. The home side took advantage of some careless Port passing and with Gwydion Ifan and Nathan Davies pushing forward Paul Pritchard was put under pressure on the edge of his box. Ilan Hughes took advantage to fire home in the 79th minute.

This goal gave Llanuwchllyn some encouragement but only 5 minutes later, order was restored when Rhys Alun, chasing Euron Roberts' ball over the top, was tripped in the foot race with Paul Jones and the referee pointed to the spot. Marcus Banks dispatched the penalty kick confidently hitting the corner of the net with a low effort for his 10th goal of the season.

It really was all over now and Port could look forward to meeting old rivals Caersws in the play-off final. Caersws will be tough opposition following their League Cup triumph over Mold Alex this afternoon.

Assistant Manger Alun Winstanley commented post-match:“I have to give the lads and whole squad credit as we have suffered with injuries and set backs right from the start but they have kept on going and they have their reward against Caersws in a few weeks….. huge few weeks for us all.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gareth Jones Evans (James Morgan 87’), Iddon Price, Euron Roberts, Josh Banks, Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas (Marcus Banks 46’), Rhys Alun, Jamie McDaid, Paul Lewis (Stuart Rogers 76’), John Littlemore (Matty Jones 78’) Unused sub: Cai Parry.
Yellow Card Ifan Emlyn 63’

Llanuwchllyn: Sam Tryer, David Prysor Jones, Iwan Roberts, Ceri James, Paul Jones, Ilan Hughes, I Jones, Nathan Davies, Joe Evans, Gwydion Ifan, Iolo Jones. Unused subs A Rowlands (gk), E Edwards.
Yellow Card: David P Jones.

Dyfarnwyr / Referee: Stephen Jones, Assistants, Charley Smith, J Dewi Morris.
Torf / Attendance:193

Gareth Williams

22/4/22 Cynghrair Lock Stock Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin/ Ardal League North-West Cae Seilo, k.o.:- 6.30

CPD Y FELINHELI .......................0

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................1
Rhys Alun 20'

An excellent crowd of 420 witnessed this absorbing and tense battle at Cae Seilo, as Port, for the second game in succession gained three points by the most slender of margins to keep them in the hunt for a play-off place at the end of the season. It is fair to say that the margin of victory should have been bigger as Port squandered several clear-cut chances especially in the second period.

Port started well. In the first minute, Dewi Thomas won a high header which allowed John Littlemore to cross low and dangerously into the box but Matty Jones narrowly failed to get on the end of it. Then in the 20th minute, Stuart Rogers did very well to evade two defenders before laying a pinpoint low cross to Rhys Alun who blasted home from close range to open Port`s account. A minute later, Stuart`s attempted chip from outside the box went over the bar. The rest of the half became a keenly contested midfield battle with Felinheli coming more and more into the game as the half wore on. Indeed , Felin came desperately close to an equalizer when Iwan Owen found himself one-on-one with Paul Pritchard but the Port keeper pulled off a great close range save and the first period ended 1-0 in the visitors` favour. However, Port could have doubled their lead had Littlemore`s close range effort had not sailed over the bar coutesy of a very bad bounce before he pulled the trigger.

Both teams, especially the visitors , set up very promising situations in the second half. After barely three minutes, Gareth Jones-Evans headed against the crossbar with the goalie well-beaten and seconds later, Guto Hughes produced an excellent save diving to his left to parry a tremendous shot by Stuart Rogers to safety. During this early period, Felin again came close when a left-footed effort by Rhys Parry drifted wide of the post. There then followed two point blank saves by Guto Hughes, the first from a Littlemore effort and the second from a very firm shot on the turn by Jamie McDaid. There then followed the miss of the match when Marcus Banks put a header over the bar as he stood virtually on the goal line in the 78th minute. In the final quarter, the game became a fast and frantic end-to-end affair and Paul Pritchard was twice called upon to make great last ditch saves as the excellent Caio Hughes taunted the Port defence time after time.

In the 85th minute, there occurred a moment of huge controversy when a clever chip from a tight angle by Rhys Alun had Hughes well-beaten and the ball, according to several Port fans had ‘clearly’ crossed the line. But, to Port`s anger and frustration, the linesman, when consulted by the ref, said “No”.

The final whistle brought cheers of relief as well as joy. For all the hard work of Caio Hughes and Rhys Parry, we had held on to the three points. We now anxiously await the FAW`s decision on the infamous Saltney match, which, if favourable, would leave us well-placed for a play-off spot. Fingers crossed!

Y Felinheli :- Guto Hughes (GK), Connor Japheth, Ryan Cain, Rhodri Dafydd (I. Emyr 85`), Dylan Jones, Carwyn Dafydd (Gavin Lloyd-Jones 80`), Caio Hughes,Aled Griffith (capt.),Iwan Owen,Iwan Edwards , Rhys Parry. Unused subs:- Jack Cain, Adam Hughes.

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Gareth Jones-Evans, Josh Banks, Iddon Price (capt.), Ifan Emlyn, Stuart Rogers (Marcus Banks), Dewi Thomas ( James Morgan ), Matty Jones ( Jamie McDaid 37`), John Littlemore (Cian Pritchard 89`) Rhys Alun, Euron Roberts. Unused sub :- Sol Kempster Yellow card :- James Morgan (70`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee:- Elwyn Rhys Parry Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants :-Rhys Williams, Adrian Williams

Torf / Attendance :- 420

Treflyn Jones

16/4/22 Cynghrair Lock Stock Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin/ Ardal League North-West Y Traeth k.o.:- 2.30
Noddwyr y gem/ Match Sponsors :- R. J. Williams, Honda –Isuzu, Talsarnau

Noddwyr y Bêl / Match Ball Sponsors: Cyfreithwyr Gamlin Solicitors & Pritchard and Griffiths.
Noddwr Rhaglen heddiw / Today’s programme sponsor: Stephen Warmsley

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... 1
Rhys Alun, 79'

ST. ASAPH CITY ............................. 0

Before today`s match, a minute`s silence was impeccably observed in memory of former Port player Bruce Emmanuel, a very fine player in his own right and father of Peter who wore the black and red with pride during our initial period in what is now known as the Welsh Premier. Our condolences go to Bruce`s family and friends.

Today, Port supporters had to endure 90 nerve-jangling minutes before our slender-looking win was well and truly secured, and, it is fair to say that had we taken a higher proportion of several fairly clear-cut scoring chances, the result would have been put beyond doubt before the hour mark.

Port were on the offensive from the start, and three minutes in, Stuart Rogers should have hit the target with Port`s opening salvo when well-placed after great work by Marcus Banks and Matty Jones. Five minutes later, a fine in-swinging corner by Gareth Jones-Evans was well-gathered under his crossbar by Saints` keeper Luke Jones who was about to have a busy and illustrious afternoon. There then followed a period of seemingly innumerable corner kicks for the home side, all of which were well dealt with by a disciplined St. Asaph defence, before the visitors came close to scoring via a glancing header by Jason Foulkes from a corner kick. On twenty five minutes, both Paul Lewis and Julian Williams missed two sitters in quick succession to the growing frustration of the Traeth faithful. There wasn`t much wrong with Port`s approach play but they had certainly left their shooting boots at home today and the half, somewhat amazingly, ended goalless.

The second period was barely four minutes old when substitute Rhys Alun blasted onto the target from 25 yards and produced a fine finger-tip save by Luke Jones who diverted the shot onto the bar. A couple of minutes later and there were very strong shouts for a Port penalty when Rhys was bundled over by a defender in the box but the referee waved ‘play on’. Mid-way through the half, the Quarry End fans were ripping their hair out when a well-placed Marcus Banks volleyed over the bar. Then, Luke Jones brilliantly saved a great left-footed half-volley by Rhys Alun. When oh when were we going to score? Well, the goal finally arrived on 79 minutes when the referee awarded Port a relatively soft penalty after a coming together (one might say) in the box. Up stepped Rhys Alun and though his initial effort was brilliantly saved, the same player was alert enough to slam the rebound home to the delight of most of the very commendable 302-strong crowd. We may well see a play-off match at the end of the season, but even if we don`t, we can tell the whole of Wales that we are the best supported Tier Three side by a country mile!

You have to feel for St. Asaph as this result may well see them relegated. However, on today`s showing, they will probably return to Tier Three sooner rather than later. Best of luck to them.

Next Friday evening, there will doubtless be further nerve-shredding moments when we travel to Y Felinheli for a 6.30 kick-off. Be there!

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Gareth Jones-Evans, Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Stuart Rogers (Josh Banks 68`), Dewi Thomas, Matty Jones, Marcus Banks ( Cian Pritchard 86`), Julian Williams (Rhys Alun 46`), Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts (John Littlemore 75`)
Unused subs:- Bradley Roberts (GK), Sol Kempster.
Yellow card :- Gareth Jones-Evans (31`)

St. Asaph City :- Luke Jones (GK), Callum Murphy, Daniel Williams (capt.),Lee Jones, Liam Grayson, Matthew Morris, James Williams (Garnett Hughes 57`), Carl Murray (Corey Brewerton 80`),James Brewerton, Jack Davies, Jason Foulkes.
Unused sub:- Lewis Marc Hensey Yellow card :- Jack Davies (68`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee:- Robin Williams Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :- Wayne Michael Geraghty, Daniel Evans
Torf / Attendance :- 302

Treflyn Jones

09/04/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North-West k.o 2.30 pm
NANTLLE VALE FC ..................1
Ashley Owen 54'

CPD PORTHMADOG ..................1
Julian Williams 32'

Cael a chael (o ran Port!) In a game which failed miserably to live up to expectations as a footballing spectacle, the honours were shared, but things could ultimately have gone even worse for the visitors as Nantlle came desperately close to snatching all three points during the last few minutes.

Much of the first half was a scrappy affair and it took all of 15 minutes until the 200+ crowd witnessed the first half-chance of the game when Julian Williams, after being fouled on the edge of the Vale`s box as he sprinted through, picked himself up to loft his kick too high off target. Shortly after, Nantlle`s keeper Gethin Roberts was called into action to punch away a dangerous free-kick by the evergreen Gareth Jones-Evans. Then, on 28 minutes, GJE again taunted the home defence with an in-swinging free kick which forced Roberts into a diving clearance with both fists. Getting closer? Well, Port were at last beginning to put some constructive moves together and a very good move led to an equally good goal when Dewi Thomas nodded down into the path of Julian Williams from a deep free kick by Ifan Emlyn. Julian took on his shot first time on the half-volley and sent it unerringly into the corner of the net leaving the keeper with no chance. 1-0 to Port it remained deservedly at the break although Nantlle can count themselves extremely lucky not to go down to ten men when an absolute horror of a two-footed challenge from behind on John Littlemore received only a yellow as punishment. Amazing!

The second half yielded just a few more goal-scoring chances than the first but the football on show was frantically untidy, panicky and generally unsatisfactory. There were too many high balls, too many over-hit passes and far too many hit-and-hope long balls reminiscent of the ‘route one’ rubbish as characterized by Wimbledon`s ‘crazy gang’ during the 1980`s. G-R-R-R-R!! I guess it was a case of two reasonably good teams cancelling each other out in an all-out effort to win the match. On 54` minutes, Nantlle equalized with the kind of goal which summed up the second half as a long, hopeful pass over the Port defence forced Port custodian Paul Pritchard into a headed clearance as he came out of his area. A Nantlle forward then strongly won a fifty-fifty challenge with Euron Roberts and Ashley Owen was on hand to shoot home into an unguarded net. 1-1 and game on!

There was a big let-off for Port half way through the second period and it took a point-blank save with his legs by Pritchard to prevent the home side from taking the lead before a very powerful 25 yard left footer by Ifan Emlyn smashed into Gethin Roberts’ chest and the man from Sarn Bach needed two bites at the cherry to foil the danger.

During the last ten minute , it was end-to-end stuff ………..absolutely the most tense part of the game and again it took a last ditch save by Pritchard in the Port goal to prevent a deciding goal for Nantlle as they pressed forward with increasing confidence.

It ended all square. Taking the two halves into account, it was just about fair enough. However, on chances at the end of the second period, Nantlle could well have put the game beyond Port. This was a hugely disappointing result for the visitors who will have to dust themselves down for next Saturday`s encounter with the unpredictable Saint Asaph City (k.o. :- 2.30). Ymlaen y bo`r nod !

Nantlle Vale :- Gethin Roberts (GK), Aled Williams ( Jamie Jones 40`), Sion Pollard (capt.), Sion Jones, Cai Morgan ( M. Jones 89`), Sion Williams, Telor Williams, Ashley Owen, Jamie Thomas, Harri Gwyn Hughes, Robert John Daniels . Unused subs :- Mathew Davies, Osian Tudur, Llion Griffiths
Yellow cards :- Sion Jones (20`), Robert Daniels ( 29`), Jamie Thomas (66`)

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Gareth Jones-Evans, Josh Banks, James Morgan ( Matty Jones 73`), Iddon Price (capt.), Ifan Emlyn, Dewi Thomas ( Cian Pritchard 88`), John Littlemore (Marcus Banks 45`), Julian Williams, Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts. Unused subs :- Sol Kempster, Rhys Hughes.

Dyfarnwr/Referee:- Stephen Jones Cynorthwywyr / Assistants:- Colin Andrew Dukes, Peter Brown.
Torf / Attendance :- 200

Treflyn Jones

02/04/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North-West k.o 1.30pm
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:Siop Pike , Newsagents
Noddwr y bêl / Match ball sponsor :-CARIAD CARE HOMES

CPD PORTHMADOG ................. 3
Julian Williams 43', 76'
Dewi Thomas 45'

RHYDYMWYN FC ...................... 0

Llongyfarchiadau mawr i Rhys Alun / Many congratulations to begin with to Rhys Alun for winning the vote for Port`s Player of the Month award for March. This was richly deserved for his five goals and numerous assists and his absence through injury was certainly felt at times this afternoon.

. Port were worthy winners today for their overall dominance but it was the visitors who were first out of the blocks when a right footed drive by Owen Manley after barely three minutes went narrowly wide of the right hand post to Paul Pritchard`s relief. There followed further forays into the Port half during the opening 10 minutes or so, but thereafter, Port started to dominate proceedings.

. Port`s first of several chances fell to Paul Lewis who headed wide when well-placed after good work by Cian Pritchard and a penetrating cross by Stuart Rogers. Two minutes later, Paul was again well-placed in the box but his rather tame shot was comfortably parried away. Then it was Marcus Banks` turn as he managed to miss something of a sitter from close range. A minute later, the same player almost atoned for his miss when his header went narrowly over the bar. Port supporters by now must have been wondering where the first goal would come from after quite a few glaring misses, but they finally opened the scoring on 43 minutes when Dewi Thomas produced a dangerous overhead effort which keeper Swann- Jones could only parry on to the post and Julian Williams was on hand to slide in the opening goal from close range. On the stroke of half time, Port doubled their advantage when a powerfully struck shot from the edge of the area by Julian Williams was fumbled by the keeper and Dewi Thomas tapped in to make it 2-0 to Port at the halfway mark.

. In the second half, Port continued to create innumerable scoring chances but only managed to convert one of them. There was a glorious one-two between Dewi and Ifan Emlyn which deserved a better outcome and a super left-footed strike on the turn by John Littlemore was smashed against the underside of the bar before the ball was cleared to safety. Julian Williams then missed a great chance when sent clean through but he blazed his left-footed shot just wide. On the half-hour mark, another worthy effort by Littlemore was well-saved by the keeper diving to his left. Three minutes later, however, Port made the game safe when a patient and inricate move culminated with John Littlemore sending in a pin-point low pass into the box from which Julian Williams netted with ease. Credit to Rhydymwyn who never gave up. Indeed, five minutes before the end it took a very smart low save to his left by Paul Pritchard to prevent a certain goal for Nathan Mendoza.

. Next Saturday, we will make the short journey to Maes Dulyn in Penygroes for an eagerly awaited local derby with Nantlle Vale which will kick-off at 2.30. An exciting match in prospect and let`s hope for a bumper crowd.

. Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Josh Banks ( Sol Kempster 80`), Iddon Price capt.(John Littlemore 45`),Ifan Emlyn, Stuart Rogers, Dewi Thomas, Marcus Banks ( Gareth Jones-Evans 52`), Cian Pritchard (Rhys Hughes 74`), Julian Williams, Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts. Unused sub :- Craig Papyrnik

. Rhydymwyn :- Nathan Swann-Jones (GK), Kyle Harte (Liam Rogers 74`),Michael Guest, Kieran Price, Harry Massey, Joel Griffiths, Iwan Rogers, Owen Ainscough ( William Weaver 70`), Nathan Mendoza, Owen Manley, Robbie Dunn (Jack Griffiths 70`) Yellow cards :- Kieran Price ( 60`), Iwan Rogers (35`)

. Dyfarnwr/Referee:- Colin Andrew Dukes Cynorthwywyr / Assistants:- John Dewi Morris, Tomos Huw Jones,br. Torf / Attendance :- 221

. Treflyn Jones

26/03/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North-West

LLAY WELFARE .................... 2
M Wright 87'
Josh Banks 90'(o.g.)

CPD PORTHMADOG ............... 1
Dewi Thomas 52'

In Shakespearean terms, Port certainly suffered ‘the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune’ today as they succumbed to the giant-killers of Tier Three in a hard-fought and often end-to-end encounter. To add insult to injury, this was Port`s first away defeat and their fate was sealed by a last minute ‘Comedy of Errors’ which yielded a catastrophic own goal.

Port were first out of the blocks when a great run and cross from the right wing by Julian Williams located Paul Lewis on the far post but his well-timed volley was blocked by a defender just before testing the keeper. A minute later, Port experienced a wake-up call and a let-off when a fine move down the right found a Llay striker in space in the box and the ball was confidently dispatched into the net only for the ‘goal’ to be disallowed for off-side. Thereafter, Port seemed to settle and Julian was a little unfortunate to see his close-range left-footer drift wide of the upright before the visitors earned a series of corner kicks in the opening 20 minutes which alas came to nothing. Llay were always a danger on the counter, however, and a dangerous low cross by the hosts was well dealt with by Iddon Price as an attacker bore down on goal. Then on 25` minutes a well controlled drive by the ‘Welly’ from fully 40 yards was well held by Pritchard as he scrambled across his goal. The first half ended goalless and certainly, the very bumpy nature of the pitch had largely hampered both teams` attempts at constructive play and this often forced both the hosts and visitors to play long, hopeful passes more often than they would have liked. It was little wonder, therefore, when during a lengthy time-out due to an injury, Craig Papyrnik shouted at his players in frustration claiming :- “We`re too one-dimensional!”

The second half started very brightly as the hosts put pressure on the Port goal, and the visitors were fortunate not to concede after only two minutes when an attempted clearance by Paul Pritchard went straight to an attacker but his shot from distance went narrowly wide. Only three minutes later, Llay, playing down the slope, produced a sweeping counter-attack but Liam Hughes shot went narrowly wide to Port`s relief. It was on 55minutes that Port, somewhat against the run of play, opened the scoring in exquisite fashion. A long, accurate ball completely split the Llay defence and Dewi Thomas skillfully rounded the keeper and calmly slid the ball home from a tight angle. A great goal and a source of delight and relief to the travelling faithful. Twice thereafter, Julian Williams came agonizingly close to increasing Port`s lead…..firstly with a low shot which produced a finger tip save by the keeper as it seemed destined for the far corner of the net. Then, Port set up a glorious move down the left flank. Paul Lewis crossed into the box but Julian`s difficult volley scraped the top of the bar and over. Both were admittedly tough chances but how we would rue these misses later!!

Just as the game seemed to be drifting to a narrow victory for the table-toppers, the whole script went horribly wrong in the closing five minutes. Llay`s Jared Taylor sent in a teasing left-footed cross from a free-kick some twenty yards from the Port goal and Michael Wright`s well-judged glancing header flew past Pritchard`s despairing dive to level the score at one apiece. A few minutes later, Port fluffed their lines three times in their attempt to halt another brisk Llay counter. When the ball eventually found its way into the box, there was an initial sigh of relief upon seeing Josh Banks in position to make a seemingly simple clearance to safety. But no….he unbelievably sliced his shot and it flew past Pritchard behind him to send the home supporters into ecstacy. That sinking feeling! It ended 2-1 to the team who have beaten both Denbigh (once) and Mold (twice) this season. The game was won through determination, hard work and, ultimately, a slice of luck.

Next Saturday, Port will aim to bounce back when we will welcome Rhydymwyn to Y Traeth. Please note that this will kick off at 1.30p.m.

Llay Welfare :- Kyle Flower (GK), Dean Bryan (capt.), Aled Roberts, Jared Taylor, Ryan Merrill (L. Taylor 75`), Lewis Bickerton-Cole (C. Roberts 83`), Kian Turton, Thomas Wells, Ryan Goodband (M. Wright 34`),Liam Hughes, Matthew Worrall. Unused subs :- Matthew Davies, Daniel Richardson.

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Josh Banks, Iddon Price, Stuart Rogers ( Cian Pritchard 84`), Dewi Thomas, John Littlemore, Marcus Banks ( James Morgan 46`), Rhys Alun ( Ifan Emlyn 45+2`), Julian Williams, Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts. Unused subs :- Craig Papyrnik, Gareth Jones-Evans.

Dyfarnwr/Referee:- Matthew James Bridges Cynorthwywyr / Assistants:- Levi Roberts, Jamie Leadbitter
Torf / Attendance :- 50 (amcangyfrif /estimate)

Treflyn Jones

18/03/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North k.o 7.45pm-West
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:Children`s Farm Park, Slate Caverns, Llanfair , Harlech
Noddwr y bêl / Match ball sponsor :-Cefnogwyr Port / Port Supporters

CPD PORTHMADOG ................. 10
Rhys Alun 3', 83'
Julian Williams 19'
Paul Lewis 22',76'
John Littlemore 31',43',45'+4'
Marcus Banks 84',86.

BRYMBO FC ............................. 0

‘Un Nos Ola` Leuad’……………On a moonlit night at Y Traeth, Port racked up their biggest league win for many a season as they banged in ten goals without reply past a luckless Brymbo outfit. Indeed, the men in black and red were 6-0 up at the interval, thanks in no small part to an impressive hat-trick by that busy bee John Littlemore.

Port opened their account courtesy of Rhys Alun on three minutes as he calmly sidefooted home past Reece Airey from a pinpoint assist from the left wing by Julian Williams. Two minutes later, it took a timely tackle by Euron Roberts to foil a quick counter by The Steelmen. Then, on nineteen minutes, the visitors got themselves into a terrible muddle in their own box to allow the unmarked Julian Williams to drive the ball into the corner of the net and put Port 2-0 up. A minute later, it was three when Brymbo`s defence failed to clear a teasing corner by Cai Parry and Paul Lewis blasted home on the half-volley. Brymbo, to their credit, did not allow their heads to drop and, a minute later it took an excellent point-blank save by Pritchard to prevent a certain goal for Alex Sherriff at the end of a great move by the visitors. It was then that Littlemore took centre stage. On 28 minutes, after a penetrating run down the left flank by Cai Parry, he evaded a defender before producing a composed finish past Airey. 4-0. Three minutes shy of the ninety, after a patient build-up involving Rhys Alun and Paul Lewis, Littlemore`s initial shot was parried but he comfortably slotted home from the rebound to complete Port`s nap hand. On the 45` mark, Ifan Emlyn, spotting the keeper off his line, produced an audacious chip from forty yards and was unfortunate to see his effort hitting the top of the bar. Deep into added time, Littlemore completed his hat-trick as he finished off an excellent assist from Marcus Banks. At 6-0 down, it would be an understatement to say that Brymbo now had a mountain to climb and their situation seemed even bleaker when defender Kai Jackson saw red for dissent shortly before the interval.

For the opening twenty minutes of the second period, the Steelmen defended in numbers and reduced Port to half-chances at best, although a superb jinking run by sub Cian Pritchard was deserving of a better fate as he was eventually crowded out by a posse of defenders. However, on 76 minutes, the hard-working and influential Paul Lewis made it 7-0 to the hosts with a thumping header from a Stuart Rogers corner before Rhys Alun produced a header of a similarly high calibre following excellent work by Julian Williams on the right flank. In the final two minutes, it was the turn of Marcus Banks to enter the limelight. Keeper Reece Airey fumbled a header and Marcus was on hand to blast home after an assist by GJE. Two minutes later, we were treated to one of the best goals seen at Y Traeth in recent years when GJE again picked out the Pwllheli–based youngster who smashed a fantastic scissors kick into the roof of the net. What a goal! What a result! I do believe the boys were ‘on it’ tonight, Mr. Papyrnik!!! Congratulations then to the managers and all the players.

Next Saturday, Port will travel to the Wrexham area for what will probably be a very tough encounter against this league`s giant-killers Llay Welfare. However, for the moment, let`s enjoy tonight`s excellent performance which propels us to the top of the league, leapfrogging Mold Alex albeit having played one game more.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Euron Roberts ( Gareth Jones Evans 60'), Iddon Price (Stuart Rogers46'), Josh Banks, Cai Parry (Dewi Thomas 31'), Ifan Emlyn, Marcus Banks, John Littlemore (Cian Pritchard 60') , Rhys Alun, Julian Williams, Paul Lewis (Sol Kempster 89').Unused sub: Brad Roberts(GK)

Brymbo: Reece Airey, Jack Brindley, Ethan Simpson, Kai Jackson, Rhys Hewitt, Sam McCormick, Alex Sheriff, Josh Phillips, Tom Gibson, Luc Bonfrer, Heitor Leitso. Unused sub: Nick Ward. Yellow card:- J. Philips ( 21`). Red card:- Kai Jackson ( 44`)

Dyfarnwr/Referee:- Rhodri Owain ab Dafydd Cynorthwywyr / Assistants:- Gwion Davies, Alastair Nicoll
Torf / Attendance :- 275

Treflyn Jones

12/03/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North-West
Noddwr y Gêm / Match Sponsor:BELYN FINANCIAL SERVICES.
Noddwr y bêl / Match ball sponsor :- Children`s Farm Park, Slate Caverns, Llanfair , Harlech

CPD PORTHMADOG ................. 3
Rhys Alun 61', 79'
Julian Williams 65'

LLANDUDNO ALBION ............... 0

‘A game of two halves’ may well be one of the most over-used clichés in football but this was certainly the case this afternoon as it took the best part of an hour for Port to unlock an organized Albion defence courtesy of another glorious goal from the industrious Rhys Alun. From then on, after much frustration and anguish for the Port fans, it became pretty plain-sailing.

Uncharacteristically, Port started the match somewhat sluggishly and it wasn`t until the 9th minute that the hosts produced their first serious goal attempt when Julian Williams fired a low left footer wide of the upright. Soon after, Paul Lewis did well to get a left-footer on target from the edge of the box as keeper Louis Williams gathered safely. On 18, Rhys Alun, after great work down the right flank, sent in a dangerous low cross but Paul Lewis was crowded out by a couple of defenders before he could get a shot away. Then, on the 20 minute mark, it was Albion`s turn to torment the Port defence, when, following a misplaced pass, Ricky Rhys Evans was sent through on goal only for Paul Pritchard to save the day by blocking a strong point-blank shot. This was a wake-up call for Port as Albion showed their intent to break quickly whenever possible. On the stroke of half time, Rhys Alun again sent in a dangerous low cross only to be thwarted by a courageous dive at a striker`s feet by Louis Williams in goal. And that was it at the end of an inauspicious half in which Port played tidily enough but those final attempted through- balls were far too often over-hit.

Both teams started the second period with greater urgency, and barely seven minutes in, the excellent Marcus Banks was guilty of a bad miss as he dragged his left footer wide of the mark when well-placed after great work down the left by Julian. Then, just before the hour mark, an attempted defensive header back to Paul Pritchard fell well short of its target but the Llandudno attacker put his gentle and seemingly goal-bound shot wide when it seemed easier to score. A big let-off which the Albion would bitterly regret a minute later when a spirited solo run by Rhys Alun was rounded off with the sweetest of strikes from outside the box into the corner of the net. A memorable goal and 1-0 to the hosts. On 65 minutes, Port extended their lead when after excellent work by Cai Parry and a pin-point pass by Paul Lewis, Julian Williams calmly side-footed home past Williams` despairing dive. 2-0 and it was all Port now with a flurry of swift attacks. On 74`, Albion`s busy custodian pulled off an excellent double save with both shots coming from the left boot of Rhys Alun. However, five minutes later, Rhys completed a deserved brace with a close range side- footer after super work down the left flank by Paul Lewis and by sub John Littlemore on the right. Credit to the Albion for continuing to try and gain a consolation goal which they nearly got in the 90th minute when Maddock`s delicate chip over Pritchard was kicked off the line in a last-ditch clearance. It ended 3-0 and the margin would have been greater but for the heroics of Louis Williams in the visitors` goal.

Next Friday night, we welcome Brymbo to Y Traeth in another tough league encounter with a 7.45 kick-off.

FOOTNOTE :- “Should have gone to SPECSAVERS !!!” My humblest apologies to two Port players for a case of mistaken identity on my part in last week`s report. The player who headed against the bar at Denbigh was Iddon Price and not Julian Williams and the assist for our third goal was provided by Julian. Ymddiheuriadau,hogia! It is worth noting, however, that Rhys had some involvement in all three goals. Da iawn, Rhys Alun!

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Cai Parry, Josh Banks, Iddon Price ( James Morgan 76`), Ifan Emlyn (Dewi Thomas 23`), Cian Pritchard ( John Littlemore 45`), Marcus Banks (Matty Jones 78`), Rhys Alun, Julian Williams, Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts. Unused sub :- Bradley Roberts (GK) Yellow cards:- Marcus Banks (71`)

Llandudno Albion :- Louis Williams (GK), Ryan Vaughan, Adam Hold, Daniel Roberts ( Joseph Jennings 70`), Ben Jarvis, Ricky Jones, Daniel Evans, David Andrew Maddock, Joseph Carey, Lee Stokes, Jack Atherton Yellow cards :- D. Jones ( Team Manager 42`), Jack Atherton (57`), Adam Hold ( 63`)

Dyfarnwr / Referee :- William Andrew Peel Cynorthwywyr / Assistants:-Darren Vaughan, Byron Jones
Torf / Attendance :- 234

Treflyn Jones

05/03/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North-West

DENBIGH TOWN ................. 0

CPD PORTHMADOG ............... 3
Cian Pritchard 8'
Rhys Alun 67'
Paul Lewis 73'

Every single match is becoming a ‘must win affair’ now and today, Port recorded a very fine win indeed at the smart and well-appointed Central Park in front of a disappointingly small crowd for a top-of-the-table clash.

After a scrappy and untidy opening five minutes, Port got their first half-chance when Marcus Banks gained possession on the edge of the Denbigh box and found Rhys Alun in space who did well to fend off his marker but, still under pressure , could only manage to place his shot straight at the keeper from a rather tight angle. Barely two minutes later, however, the same player was involved in Port`s opening goal. Marcus did very well to win a 50/50 challenge near the box. His pass found Rhys on the right and his great pinpoint cross found the head of Cian Pritchard (Pensyflog`s Messi!) who made no mistake as he expertly nodded wide of keeper Aaron Jones into the corner of the net. Fine move ……..fine goal and this one seemed to settle the visitors` nerves. By the way, is Cian still only a 16-year old?

This goal proved to be the only noteworthy incident of the opening 20 minutes. Denbigh managed a few promising moves especially down the flanks but a resolute Port defence ensured that it wasn`t until the 23rd minute that Denbigh could muster a fairly clear goal-scoring opportunity when a home attacker found himself in space near the penalty spot, but, fortunately for Port, the ball took a bobble just before reaching the kicker and his shot sailed high over the bar. A minute later, Denbigh got the ball on target but the rather tame effort from the edge of the area went straight into Paul Pritchard`s gloves to end an intricate move. On the half-hour mark, another very good move by the hosts presented Sam Jones with a great chance from a few yards out but Iddon Price achieved a fine block at the expense of a corner. The final chance of the half fell to the visitors` Julian Williams who went on a solo run down the left flank before unleashing a left-footer narrowly past the far post. Half-time and Port remained 1-0 up.

The opening minutes of the second period served up some exciting end to end play as both teams showed determination to win the match. On 50` minutes, Denbigh appeared to have a strong case for a penalty when one of their attackers appeared to be held by a Port defender as he burst clear on goal, but the ref waved away the ardent appeals of the men of Central Park. Could this be our lucky day? Five minutes later and Port came close to extending their lead when a Cai Parry corner kick was met with a thumping header by Julian Williams which rattled the top of the crossbar. During this period, Denbigh enjoyed several moments in which they floated very dangerous looking crosses into the Port box. However, Pritch proved himself equal to all of them in impressive fashion. Then, on the hour mark, the increasingly dangerous Rhys Alun did well to not only bring down a super cross-field pass but also managed to outpace his marker before forcing the keeper to save with his legs. A minute later the same player received an even more gloriously penetrating pass from Cai or Ifan (help me out here!), and, after leaving his marker for dead, confidently rounded the keeper before gleefully tapping the ball home. This was a truly splendid team goal. The celebrations were something to behold and Port at last had a cushion. However, even happier times were to come. On 73 minutes, that man Rhys Alun showed fine control to beat his marker yet again before releasing Paul Lewis for a tap-in to put the icing on another expansive move. Haleliwia ! We had achieved a convincing win over a determined team of high-fliers within the Ardal League, and, as in our previous match at Brickfield, we had done it by setting up chances …………..and taking them well.

Next Saturday, we welcome Llandudno Albion to Y Traeth in another league encounter.

Denbigh Town :- A. Jones (GK), S. Jones, D. Clarke, C. Rogers, W. Holmes, K. Roberts, P. Fleming(K.Pierce 86`), S. Jones (L. Davey), J. Davies, M. Roberts (Jake Walker 75`)
Yellow cards:- W. Holmes (18`), K.Pierce (36`), D. Jones (team manager 38`), S. Jones (39`), M. Roberts (45`)
Unused subs:- J. Barratt, M. Sharples

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Cai Parry, Josh Banks, Iddon Price (capt.), Ifan Emlyn, Cian Pritchard (Dewi Thomas 66`), Marcus Banks (Stuart Rogers 59`),Rhys Alun (John Littlemore 83`), Julian Williams, Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts (James Morgan 66`)
Unused sub :- Gareth Jones-Evans Yellow cards :- Marcus Banks (52`), Stuart Rogers (74`),John Littlemore (85).

Dyfarnwr /Referee:- Rhodri Owen ab Dafydd / Cynorthwywyr:- Connor Eoin Fowler, Meirion Williams
Torf / Attendance :- 285

Treflyn Jones

12/02/22 Cynghrair Ardal Gogledd-Orllewin / Ardal League North-West

H Ozlu)(p) 60'

CPD PORTHMADOG ............... 3
Rhys Alun 4' 15'
J Lima Teixeira 38'(O G)

On a cold and windy afternoon at Clywedog Park in Wrexham, Port did enough to keep intact their proud unbeaten away record and this was down to a solid first half performance in which they took their chances and took them well. We were also presented with the free gift of an own goal by a Brickfield defender to leave the home team with a mountain to climb after only 38 minutes.

Port certainly hit the road running as they were a goal to the good after only two minutes, when Rhys Alun latched on to an accurate low cross from Ifan Emlyn to send his shot wide of Williams in the Brickfield goal. This clearly inspired the Port team and they came close to doubling their advantage on 12 minutes when Rhys Alun passed to Littlemore inside the box but his firm shot was charged down by a defender. It took only three more minutes, however, for Port to make it 2-0 when, after good work by Paul Lewis on the left flank, his low cross was met with a first –time left-footer by Rhys Alun as he expertly guided the ball well-wide of the stationary keeper into the corner of the net for a picture goal. It wasn`t all Port at this stage, for Aaron White and Andy Vale proved to be quite a handful with their rapid breaks upfield and on 28 minutes, White`s firm low shot which appeared to be on target was well blocked by a Port defender. But, on 36 minutes, Port appeared to have made the game safe in rather fortuitous circumstances. Dewi Thomas sent in a left-footed corner kick and sub Lima Texeira, under pressure from the Port attack, could only divert the high cross into the roof of his own net to give the visitors a very useful cushion. 3-0 it remained at the halfway stage.

The second half provided rather less excitement than the first, especially from the point of view of the visitors as the game descended into a rather dour midfield battle and things were not helped in this regard by the heaviness and slippery nature of the pitch. Moreover, any thoughts of seeing the home team capitulating were quickly dispelled when Brickfield were awarded a rather debatable penalty.Stuart Rogers produced a last ditch tackle in his box and seemed to win the ball fairly before Andy White clattered into the tackler`s leg and tumbled over rather belatedly, leaving the ref with a tough decision which went the way of the hosts.Up stepped Haci Ozlu to send the ball narrowly wide of Paul Pritchard`s left hand into the corner of the net to reduce the deficit.

The rest of the contest became a pretty even affair as a few chances went a-begging at either end. Barely two minutes after Brickfield`s goal, a great cross from Cai Parry presented Julian Williams with free header a mere five yards out but he headed wide. Then, in the seventieth minute, keeper Williams let a tame shot slip between his legs but no Port attacker was alert enough to pick up the pieces and the keeper retrieved the ball to save his blushes. Then, a minute later, a glorious cross-field pass by Julian found Rhys Alun in acres of space for an unchallenged run at goal but this great chance was spurned as Rhys placed his shot wide of the upright with only the goalie to beat. Shortly after, sub Cian Pritchard produced some disciplined hold-up play before finding Cai Parry in space in the box but his effort sailed over the bar. Then, on 88 minutes, it took all hands to the pump in the Port defence to prevent a mazy run by Andy Vale from producing a goal which would have made for some very nervous final minutes for the visitors. It ended 3-1 and the three points were deservedly secured.

Nest week, we will welcome a seemingly resurgent St.Asaph outfit to Y Traeth with a 2.30 kick-off.
Another tough match in prospect.

Brickfield Rangers :- J. Williams,J. Weston (Lima Texeira 30`), A. Jones, C. Dixon (capt.), E. Lloyd, O. Jones (A.Fox 71`), M. Cook, J. Dawson, Andy Vale, A. White, H. Ozlu. Unused Subs:- M.Derosa, S. Doughty.
Yellow cards:- M. Cook(45`+3`), I.Dawson (54`)

Porthmadog :- Paul Pritchard (GK), Cai Parry, Josh Banks, Iddon Price (capt.), Ifan Emlyn, Stuart Rogers, Dewi Thomas, John Littlemore (Marcus Banks 46`),Rhys Alun (Cian Pritchard 85`), Julian Williams, Paul Lewis (Matty Jones 71`) Yellow card:- Matty Jones (74`) Unused subs:- James Morgan , C. Papyrnik

Torf/ Attendance :- 50
Dyfarnwr / Referee :- Patrick Ryan Wilding Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants:- Roger Parker ,Michael R. Coburn

Treflyn Jones


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us